Breville Barista Express

BES870, BES860

wynnie

wynnie

Great coffee

This machine works hard in my house and has lasted well, Breville customer service is excellent and I would not buy any other machine. The inbuilt grinder is fantastic, accessories are easy to source.

nano

nanoGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Perfect for frothing like at the coffee shops

I drink a white coffee once a day so I was looking at Breville's coffee machines with frother and decided to try this one.

Very flexible on the grind size and adjustments can be made to get the right amount of ML for the shots.

The frother is very good at making flat whites / cappachino's etc.

Very high quality product and would recommend

Purchased in November 2018 at David Jones.

Sabil h.

Sabil h.Tasmania

nice and solid

Sort of makes you wonder how many of these "home espresso " machines are out there in a similar state/condition still waiting to be hung on the "tree" or thrown on the "bay" eh?
Unfortunately, most of these consumers are not aware nor informed by the big store floor salespersons, of what "(regular) maintenance" and care, is necessary to get long term drinkable results from ANY machine.
I don't know anything about Breville espresso machines, so can't advise where else to "clean" apart from wherever you can access.
It's comparatively easy to use and keep clean, plus it has an attractive stainless-steel design. It also has a built-in burr grinder for hassle-free coffee ground dosing.

Purchased in March 2018 at jbhifi for $780.00.

Product is used: Weekly
Cathy

CathySydney, NSW

Best coffee

I have been using this machine for a couple of weeks. It took a few days to tweak the settings (I felt very discouraged at this stage). There are some excellent tutorials on YouTube. It makes the best flat white I have ever had. I love it.

Purchased in October 2019 at Harvey Norman.

EG.

EG.Hunter Region, NSW

Absolutely love it.

Temperature is great when making coffee. The machine is great, its sometimes hard to find the exact grind amount to get it in the perfect level especially when changing beans all the time. It takes about 5-10 seconds for the milk steamer to start after brewing the coffee but other than that its fanastic- especially at sale price

Purchased in August 2019 at JB Hi-Fi for $699.00.

GSN

GSNMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Great machine for coffee lovers!

To feel real taste of coffee, we need right seeds, right skills and right tools. Here Breville Barista Express is the right tool to grind, extract and frost perfect coffee. All in one machine, this also helps us to gain skills to make our own coffee.
Maintenance is not that hard. Really good value for money.
Their customer service is excellent.

Purchased in August 2019.

ArtC

ArtCPerth, WA

Great Performer

This is the first espresso machine Ive owned after using an Aeropress for years. With quality beans and a little practice, I consistently get better results than at most cafes (although not the better ones).

Two very minor gripes. The pressure gauge is useless. It makes the machine look pro, but is best ignored. The CLEAN ME light on my machine wont turn off even after escaping and multiple cleaning cycles. But these are neither here nor there.

I have had the machine 6 months and we have three keen coffee-drinkers in the house. It has not missed a beat.

Purchased in April 2019 at Harvey Norman.

Jeff

JeffNew South Wales

Unbelievable coffee from a small machine

Purchased in April 2019 at Bing Lee for $699.00.

Tonia K.

Tonia K.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Excellent luv it

Excellent luv it , easy use great taste, recommend to my friends, cup fits in , looks good in kitchen, makes great coffee catch up friends, always hot, very satisfied, use it every day

Purchased in February 2018 at Coles for $90.00.

Anthony Z.

Anthony Z.

Good morning coffee

Easy and wonderful coffee every morning, I love waking up to a fresh cuppa. Great little machine and great on price too. Good coffee machine, very easy and fresh to use

Purchased in May 2019 for $499.00.

Rosies soap box cafe

Rosies soap box cafePerth, WA

Only had two coffee machines in 18 yrs!

Breville coffee machines are honestly so good that Ive still got my first at the office and my second one Same model at home; exceptional machines / handled right great coffee! Just dont seem to break down and I do coffee every morning at 6 am and glean it daily with a thorough clean once a week to look after them.

Purchased in November 2003 for $129.00.

Tony8029

Tony8029Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Great machine with one major oversight

this makes really nice coffee, no question about it.

That said how on earth did Breville forget to put a water level indicator light on the front panel? This would be more useful that the pressure gauge which is a bit of a gimmick.

Too many times I have been caught half way through a brew where the water runs out and you have to start again, wasting coffee and wasting time.

I actually wouldnt buy another one based on this oversight, which is a shame

Purchased in September 2019 at Harvey Norman for $540.00.

Taylor H.

Taylor H.

I use this daily

I have been using this product to make my daily coffee for the last five years and highly recommend it. Breville makes a value for money coffee machine that delivers the perfect daily grind.

Purchased at Myer for $600.00.

WL77

WL77Sydney, NSW

Perfect!

I have been using this machine very day for the past few years ever since I purchased it. It has become part of my morning routine. Can’t live without it.

Mitch

MitchMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Awesome coffee machine! Easy to use and clean.

- I bought this coffee machine on a 20% off The Good Guys eBay sale.
- It makes an awesome coffee and the machine is easy to clean.
- It has a good level of adjustment meaning you can tweak it to make optimal coffee for whichever beans you use.
- I would recommend this machine for anyone looking to have an entry-level manual coffee machine.

Purchased in June 2019 at The Good Guys for $479.20.

Milk Frothing
Product is used: Several times a week

Emma D.

Emma D.Illawarra, NSW

My mornings are complete

This machine has changed my mornings for the better. I am now able to make cafe quality coffee at home. A bit fiddly at first but once you work out your grind quantity and coarseness everything is very easy. My only issue is the water reservoir rattles when the machine is using water, and the size of the reservoir could be a bit bigger.

Purchased in October 2018 at JB Hi-Fi Retail Stores for $579.00.

Jayne A.

Jayne A.Mid North Coast, NSW

Used daily for many years and love it!

Had for many years and still works perfectly! A great coffee machine that grinds, brews and froths your way to coffee heaven! Easy to use and customise to get just the way you like it.

Purchased in March 2014 for $500.00.

Heath

HeathGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Perfect small coffee machine for home use

Much better than the pod machines, it's the perfect machine without having to spend thousands on a proper barista machine from a cafe. I love being able to try new beans an experiment with it, you get a great crema when making a long black.

Jon G

Jon GBrisbane

Was great while it lasted...

We absolutely loved this machine. However after about 2 years it developed some problems with the programming and wouldn't just give a shot of coffee. It would just pour continually. We followed the instruction manual with how to program it and reset it but made no difference. So it's been dishonourably retired.

Purchased in February 2016 at The Good Guys for $679.00.

Product is used: Daily

The coffee shot won’t stop. Tried everything including customer care.

Buyer beware with this coffee machine. It was bought July 2017. It won’t pressurise anymore, never reaches espresso and the coffee shot literally doesn’t stop pouring out unless you turn it off. Do research breville and the faults before you buy. I’m going to look for a better quality, longer lasting brand and look into this further accc.

Purchased in July 2017.

Frequently Asked Questions about Breville Barista Express

How do I enable the cleaning function on the Breville Barista Express?

If the “clean me” light is illuminated on your Barista Express, turn off your machine, and hold down three buttons - both the one cup & two cup buttons, and the Start button. While holding these buttons down, turn on your unit, and it will start the cleaning process.

What do I do if I am having issues with the taste/volume of my shot from the Breville Barista Express?

As a manual machine, the output from your Barista Express will come from your technique. Breville recommends to refer to the Extraction Guide in your manual, as this has pointers for many typical extraction issues, including shot quantity and bitterness.

Latest Consumer Questions

LVT

LVTasked

I have a Breville BES820
I now need to physically hold/turn the steam function dial hard left to get it to work.
Suggestions please. Thanks

Hone A

Hone Aasked

My BES 860 has worked well but lately I can only get one shot from the machine, then it won't pressure up and the steam wand seems to be less effective. Sometimes it won't even do one shot. It seems to be affected by the temperature, once it heats up no pressure, but straight from cold, there is pressure, once the temperature is up to correct level (the buttons work). So, my wife gets the one shot a day it will give me, I miss out! Doesn't seem to be related to grind size, has been cleaned with both vinegar and the tablet. When I get no pressure, hot water goes straight to the collection tray, with just a little into the coffee. Any suggestions? (had a new pump installed no long ago)

Helen C.

Helen C.asked

I couldn't find serials number and batch code. Where is it?

Get an answer from our members and Breville representatives