Breville Barista Express

Breville Barista Express

BES870 and BES860

Love the espresso, machine stopped heating

Recieved as a gift, after the initial fussy learning process of the grind/ tamp, it made fab espresso, however after 8 months, it stopped heating, my customer warranty person was very helpful & responsive, no local warranty repair, have to send out to Illinois, will hopefully only be missing machine for 3 weeks, only rated 3 stars because of this issue .....stay tuned

Purchased .

Good
Good
Consistency

Great Coffee

Makes great coffee and hot chocolate. Could not live without it. Very happy with my purchase. Would recommend this coffee machine to people looking to buy. Bought from JB Hi Fi. Has never let me down. No problems at all. Please remember to keep the water tank full. Five stars!

Date PurchasedSep 2017

The best tasting coffee!

Have used pods (Caffitaly) for the past 10 years but became concerned about the environmental impact of all that plastic packaging. The quality of the coffee is amazing. The crema looks like something you would get from a cafe and certainly tastes that way. We use a Breville Milk Jug with it which works really well too. Easy to use and to clean.

Purchased at JB Hi-Fi Online Store for $592.94.

Good
Good
Consistency
Product is used: Daily

Been great so far. Big step up from the pods

I purchased this to upgrade from a pod machine that I'd had for years. It's obviously more work, but the quality of the coffee is very good. It's easy to use and the cleanup is fairly straight forward. Only negative would be the high cost of the cleaning products

Purchased at Costco for $549.00.

Good
Good
Consistency

So bad...

Tried to get the machine to work for about a week (tried numerous changes) and it just refused to make a good coffee. Either under extracting or over, never in the right pressure spot. Plus very cheaply made, mostly plastic construction, we have returned it, I can't see it lasting plus the coffee was horrible!

Purchased for $699.00.

Almost perfect.

My first ever espresso machine. There is a bit to learn so take the time to read the books provided however as mentioned this was my first time using one so I had to learn from scratch.
Now I got the settings down pat I can make great coffees! Just need to play around and do different things to find what best works for you.
Only small thing I've found is when setting the grind amount in the double filter if I do one setting it's not quite enough and if I do the next increment it's too much so I need to cut it off early.
Other than that it's a great machine and very easy to use once you learn!

Purchased at The Good Guys for $699.00.

So happy!

This is my first coffee machine that is not for pods or not automatic. I'm not a barista or not good at making coffee, however the machine is very easy to use and always make a great coffee. So happy and satisfied. Simpy buying a bag of great coffee beans and the rest is done by the machine. I highly recommend this to anyone - in my view you don't need to spend over $1000 to get a tasty coffee at home.

Purchased for $648.00.

Consistency
Product is used: Several times a week

Failed at 2 years

Bought 2 years ago. Failed now. Squarks and grates when I push the brew button. No pressure, No coffee flow. Contacted phone help. Out of warranty, can't help. Will try to enforce my Australian consumer guarantee particularly the one that says a product will be safe, lasting, with no faults. To be fair, it made great coffee while it lasted

Date PurchasedDec 2016

My First Coffee Machine

This coffee machine is very easy to use. It has everything you need to make your coffee and is very compact. Great choice if you have limited space. The machine has a built-in grind settings to customise your coffee. The quality of the machine and its components are top-notch. Would highly recommend it for beginners.

Date PurchasedJan 2019

This machine has never failed me.

I have used this machine daily for a year it has never failed to make a great coffee. I even used it at an event where I made 32 coffees in one day. You must remember to top up the water and the beans every now and then. I feel like a barista when I am using it!

Date PurchasedJan 2018

First time machine user - perfect!

I have come from a pod machine to this, being the first manual machine of any kind I have ever used. I watched some YouTube videos in preparation (would recommend) to get an idea as to how it worked, and then combined with the quick start guide I was good to go. Very easy to use, I got beans from my local cafe and the correct type of barista almond milk (supermarket non dairy milk will separate), and even the first coffees I made were cafe quality. Could not recommend more highly for ease of use and quality of coffee. Quite easy to clean, took only a couple of minutes and I was on my way. From time of turning on to end of clean up would be about 5 minutes at most. Will continue to use for as long as it keeps going. Hold out for it to be on sale though and shop around, most of the major retailers will price match.

Old looking coffee machine

Very satisfied with my purchase, barista quality coffee, plus ease of use, and BREVILLE brand gives peace of mind.
It also grinder, that makes less mess and space in the kitchen.
I purchased it 2 months ago, but overalls no problem at this time.
It also has different settings and program, that after reading booklet help you make better coffee.

Date PurchasedNov 2018

Best decision ever

I am a barista on the weekend and this is the best machine I could find to make myself a freshly brewed coffee every morning. Getting up and going to work doesn't seem so hard if you have one of these at home. No problems so far, very happy with my purchase.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Value for money. Good coffee extraction.

Upgraded from a Sunbeam Cafe Crema (single boiler, no grinder, no pressure gauge, etc.) which is 3 years old and have had similar for the last 10 years.

After much research, I chose the BES870.

Initial unpacking and yes, I would agree the 'plastic' components feel cheap, but, then this is not a $2000 coffee machine either, so IMO it's about right for the price point.

The included head inserts, or "baskets" for single and double cups plus single and dual wall (yes, 4 head inserts / "baskets" all up) was a surprise, as was the cleaning kit and special little razor tool thingy for getting the coffee depth correct etc. Comes with he milk jug and coffee tamper too.

I decided to use the same, pre-ground, supermarket purchased coffee to start. OMG, the extra flavour both in depth and intensity is unbelievable. It was a real shock TBH.

Topping up my cup for my long black using the "hot water" filling option, I found it splashed a lot so lifted my cup up to the source to reduce the mess. Not a big issue, but not worthy for usage issue.

Haven't tried the grinder yet, still sourcing freshly (7-10 day old) roasted beans.

Initial use and impressions an easy 4 stars, could be 5, but have not used the grinder yet, so to be fair, have held off the 5 stars ATM.

NOTE: I did use the steam wand to stretch (i.e. froth) some mile this morning, and yes, like another reviewer noted, hot water comes out first before the steam kicks in (which is what happened with our old Sunbeam Cafe Crema units) ... so I just let the 'hot water' run into another cup / jug and the switched over the cold jug with milk once the steam started. Again, another minor usage glitch some people may find annoying. As a long black drinker, it's not an issue for me generally.

It's ok

I purchased this machine for a holiday house and I have to say the actual espresso coffee is pretty good- the taste and the creme that comes from it. It's as good as a proper expensive machine (I have one at home so I can compare this with confidence!). The only thing that lets this machine down is the steaming wand and cheapness of the plastic finish. The steam wand has an on and off position only. You turn it on and wait and let it steam. There is no control over the power. This, therefore, lets a lot of water in the milk. The plasticy elements of the machine feel cheap. For instance, when you put the portafilter in to extract the coffee it moves the whole machine. I would say an average machine.

Date PurchasedJan 2019

Love My Breville Barista Express!

I love the convenience of being able to enjoy Barista style coffee first thing in the morning, and in the comfort of my home. It's like a trip to Italy in a cup! We can also now indulge in a fresh cappuccino with dessert when we have guests over for dinner. This machine is easy to use, and doesn't take up a lot of counter space, which is a huge plus! It makes top quality coffee/espresso/cappuccino every time. I'm spoiled with my Breville, and don't think I will ever enjoy a cup of coffee from a "regular" coffee maker quite the same again.

Date PurchasedAug 2018

Made my covfefe great again!

Had no experience with barista style covfefe machines before. But with a little bit of reading and watching YouTube instructional videos, this machine made my covfefe great again!

With lots of positive reviews on this machine which aren't fake news, what could possibly go wrong with my purchase!

Now I built a wall at my local cafes!

Highly recommended!

Amazing!!

I bought this machine about 5 months ago. The coffee is amazing and everyone who visits always rave on about the quality of coffee the Breville Barista Express produces. The machine is extremely easy to use and the manual is basically idiot proof. I would highly recommend this machine to anyone!!

Great Coffee for Great Value

This machine is the real deal. I got this a few months back and have saved so much money on buying coffees of a morning, I now make one in my keep cup each day before work. The machine is easy to use and allows a noob like me to make a good quality coffee without too much hassle.

Very good so far.

How satisfied are you with the quality of coffee produced by the machine?
Very good, depends alot on the user on their knowledge on how to make a coffee. ( beans, grind, tamp and settings)

Is the quality of coffee produced by the machine consistent?
Yes, but this depends alot on how the machine is used. coffee type, beans, grind coffee dose etc)

How satisfied are you with the temperature of coffee produced by the machine?
Its a good temperature i use the factory settings, but you can bump up the temp if you desire.

if you read the instructions watch a couple of youtube videos you can make great coffee with this machine.

Date PurchasedJun 2018