Breville Barista Express

Breville Barista Express

BES870 and BES860

Having trouble using the one cup basket

Have had my machine a couple of months. After watching numerous YouTube how-to videos and played around with grind size/amount am pretty happy with the results. However when I use the one-cup basket for a single coffee and using exactly the same tamp pressure as with the two, the flow doesn’t start for about 10 seconds, the pressure gauge indicates very low and then swings around to the highest point. Not sure why the inconsistency?

Purchased in March 2019 at Myer Retail Stores for $699.00.

Product is used: Several times a week

Reliable, long lasting coffee machine

Received this machine as a wedding gift in early 2013 and it's been used almost every day, multiple times a day in the 6 years since then with no issues at all. It took a bit of practice and adjusting the grind size/amount to get it right, but once that was sorted we haven't looked back. The whole machine is easy to maintain and keep clean, including a handy "empty me" flag when the drip tray is full.

We love it so much it usually gets carted around on holiday with us, and many people have commented on what a great machine it is.

Purchased in May 2013.

Product is used: Daily

Don’t buy. Terrible after purchase service.

After only a few months I had issues with my machine. I have now been without my coffee machine since December 2018. I have had nothing but empty promises from Breville. The most recent offer of a bag of coffee beans to appease me hasn’t worked either. They’ve not sent the beans and I still don’t have my machine to use them! I’ve held off lodging a bad review but feel Breville has had plenty of chances to right their wrongs.

Purchased in December 2017.

Product is used: Daily

good coffee, not built to last

good coffee, easy to use, convenient grinder, froths well, fits 2 mugs

had to change seals often and now leaking continuously; poor customer service; for more than $600, we expected it to last for more than 3 years!

Purchased in February 2016.

Product is used: Daily

Makes good coffee but terrible build quality

Originally when buying the Barista Express I was very happy with the machine, its ease of use and the coffee it made. Two years in, the machine stopped working. Fortunately I had purchased an extended warranty, so eventually got a new machine. The replacement Barista Express lasted 5 weeks and the mother board failed. Never again!!

Purchased in June 2016 at Harvey Norman Physical Store for $799.00.

So far, so so good

Had a cheap $150 sunbeam for many many years, never realised how bad the coffee was until we recently upgraded. The difference from before is like mc donalds vs fancy cafe. It's only early days but I'm hoping this will last many years, I will update if there are any problems early on. The quality seems to be very good and the silver is nice looking on our kitten bench. Grinder works perfectly and so far the coffee is consistently good.

Purchased in March 2019 at The Good Guys for $699.00.

I loves this!!!! Save me a fortune beta the 6bux a naccas coffee

I’ve had it since May last year and it hasn’t skipped a beat! Easy to use and brilliant coffee! From grinding coffee to heating and frothing the milk it’s brilliant

Purchased in May 2018 for $580.00.

My coffee best friend

This was a great machine.
10 years of service, 2 coffees per day.
easy to use, easy to clean, great coffee.
No issues for 10 years, until it finally gave up last month.
Its been very sad each morning without it!
Only complaint was the noise the machine makes when grinding and warming up

Purchased in August 2009.

Product is used: Daily

very good reliable coffee machine for small office

what can i say, good quality and tough machine, even after abusive use by many of my male colleagues, still work like a clock. if you are looking for coffee machine for a small office, this will do.

Purchased in September 2018.

Well worth the wait

After spending at least $5 a day, I opted to buy my own machine. It was a choice of The a Breville and Sunbeam. So happy with my choice and choice in colour (Black). I agree, good coffee beans make the difference in your coffee.
What I can say though, is that you need a lot of practice. Don’t over press the ground coffee for filtration as it doesn’t seep through. Truly, practice makes perfect and in time one will be pleased. An added bonus would have been a larger milk jug especially when making 2 cups.
Ease of cleaning with an ‘empty me’ sign coming up.

Purchased in June 2018 at The Good Guys Physical store for $649.00.

Used everyday since 2014

This machine will do a great coffee and with skill you get the same results every time. Coffee you get is not much different to a restaurant, just make sure you get decent beans! Cleaning the machine after every coffee is very important.

Purchased in August 2014 at Harvey Norman for $749.00.

Barista Coffees At Home!

A constant hum in our house is our coffee machine. Compact, sleek, easy to use and the built in grinder leaves its competitors for dead. It’s a tad pricey but a worthwhile investment.

Purchased in January 2018 at The Good Guys for $855.00.

Product is used: Daily

Love the espresso, machine stopped heating

Recieved as a gift, after the initial fussy learning process of the grind/ tamp, it made fab espresso, however after 8 months, it stopped heating, my customer warranty person was very helpful & responsive, no local warranty repair, have to send out to Illinois, will hopefully only be missing machine for 3 weeks, only rated 3 stars because of this issue .....stay tuned

Purchased in May 2018.

Great Coffee

Makes great coffee and hot chocolate. Could not live without it. Very happy with my purchase. Would recommend this coffee machine to people looking to buy. Bought from JB Hi Fi. Has never let me down. No problems at all. Please remember to keep the water tank full. Five stars!

Date PurchasedSep 2017

The best tasting coffee!

Have used pods (Caffitaly) for the past 10 years but became concerned about the environmental impact of all that plastic packaging. The quality of the coffee is amazing. The crema looks like something you would get from a cafe and certainly tastes that way. We use a Breville Milk Jug with it which works really well too. Easy to use and to clean.

Purchased in December 2018 at JB Hi-Fi Online Store for $592.94.

Product is used: Daily

Been great so far. Big step up from the pods

I purchased this to upgrade from a pod machine that I'd had for years. It's obviously more work, but the quality of the coffee is very good. It's easy to use and the cleanup is fairly straight forward. Only negative would be the high cost of the cleaning products

Purchased in November 2018 at Costco for $549.00.

So bad...

Tried to get the machine to work for about a week (tried numerous changes) and it just refused to make a good coffee. Either under extracting or over, never in the right pressure spot. Plus very cheaply made, mostly plastic construction, we have returned it, I can't see it lasting plus the coffee was horrible!

Purchased in February 2019 for $699.00.

Almost perfect.

My first ever espresso machine. There is a bit to learn so take the time to read the books provided however as mentioned this was my first time using one so I had to learn from scratch.
Now I got the settings down pat I can make great coffees! Just need to play around and do different things to find what best works for you.
Only small thing I've found is when setting the grind amount in the double filter if I do one setting it's not quite enough and if I do the next increment it's too much so I need to cut it off early.
Other than that it's a great machine and very easy to use once you learn!

Purchased in November 2018 at The Good Guys for $699.00.

So happy!

This is my first coffee machine that is not for pods or not automatic. I'm not a barista or not good at making coffee, however the machine is very easy to use and always make a great coffee. So happy and satisfied. Simpy buying a bag of great coffee beans and the rest is done by the machine. I highly recommend this to anyone - in my view you don't need to spend over $1000 to get a tasty coffee at home.

Purchased in November 2018 for $648.00.

Failed at 2 years

Bought 2 years ago. Failed now. Squarks and grates when I push the brew button. No pressure, No coffee flow. Contacted phone help. Out of warranty, can't help. Will try to enforce my Australian consumer guarantee particularly the one that says a product will be safe, lasting, with no faults. To be fair, it made great coffee while it lasted

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Frequently Asked Questions about Breville Barista Express

How do I enable the cleaning function on the Breville Barista Express?

If the “clean me” light is illuminated on your Barista Express, turn off your machine, and hold down three buttons - both the one cup & two cup buttons, and the Start button. While holding these buttons down, turn on your unit, and it will start the cleaning process.

What do I do if I am having issues with the taste/volume of my shot from the Breville Barista Express?

As a manual machine, the output from your Barista Express will come from your technique. Breville recommends to refer to the Extraction Guide in your manual, as this has pointers for many typical extraction issues, including shot quantity and bitterness.

Latest Consumer Questions

When I press one cup button or two, the coffee extract just keep n never stop till I press the button again. Anyone can give me some advice?

Have had my machine a couple of months. After watching numerous YouTube how-to videos and playing around with grind size/amount am pretty happy with the results. However when I use the one-cup basket for a single coffee (and using exactly the same tamp pressure as with the two), the flow doesn’t start for about 10 seconds, the pressure gauge indicates very low and then swings around to the highest point. Not sure why the inconsistency?

Hi im having problem how to get enough pressure in the steam wand.. please help me...? just newbie in this product. And I'm having trouble to steam my milk..

Barista Express BES870Barista Express BES860