Breville Barista Express

Breville Barista Express

BES870, BES860

• Product is used:
    • Daily (93)
    • Several times a week (7)
    • Weekly (1)
  • Consistency
  • Milk Frothing

AAM95

AAM95South East Queensland, QLD

Great coffee machine for domestic use

In December 2019 I purchased our second Breville Barista Express coffee machine. Overall we are really satisfied with the quality of the coffee machine. We initially experienced some difficulty with the water/ steam knob which resulted in some initial difficulties with Breville with regard to customer service and claiming under the warranty, however these issues have since been resolved. The quality of the coffee produced by the machine is of a high standard, and highly customisable to taste. The only disadvantage to the machine is how noisy it is. We live in an apartment, and so am very mindful of using the machine before 7am as it is very loud and sends vibrations through the bench.

FREEOFCLUBTELCO

Great Coffee now that most of the auto functions no longer work

Have had mine about two years. Right away the frother was leaking water but meant I had to return it to my place of purchase which was in Melbourne, I live in Sydney (thanks Breville), so I've never used it. I struggled all this time to get a great cup of coffee despite adjusting all options continually, it was hit or miss. About 4 months ago the one/two cup auto fill was cutting out. So now I just hold that button to get it to stay on and control the amount of coffee into the cup. It now makes a consistent great cup of coffee now that I'm in control of the flow. Have to laugh but thats the truth.

Purchased in February 2018 for $640.00.

GeoffPerth, WA

Love it...initially problematic but Breville's response was amazing!

Had never owned a coffee machine previously but finally bit the bullet! Was in the process of creating the perfect coffee when after 2 months the water flow for the extraction process ceased to turn off. Under warranty, Breville had the machine picked up, repaired and returned to me within a week...thanks Breville...first class response & first class service. Love the machine, makes a perfect coffee and couldn't be happier with it.

Purchased in December 2019 at David Jones for $597.00.

Emma R.

Emma R.South East Queensland, QLD

Love it

I love this machine affordable price great quality. Easy to to clean. I have this one for last one year don't have any problems. Nice to have this in my home

Purchased in April 2019 at The Good Guys for $6,000.00.

Kerry Kadel

Kerry KadelSouth East Queensland, QLD

Absolutely wonderful

Breville Barista is a wonderful addition to our kitchen appliances. It is been used nearly everyday for the last 8 months. Saved us loads of money at the cafe, we prefer the coffee we make at home with our Breville than a purchased coffee from a cafe.

Purchased in May 2019 at The Good Guys for $629.00.

Jon H

Jon HSydney Surrounds, NSW

Makes great coffee.

I’ve never paid this much for a coffee machine, but based on the taste of the coffee, it’s worth it. Better than lesser quality machines and better than the industrial Nespresso machine at my work place. Creamy and full bodied. Easy to use and the built in grinder is handy

Purchased in September 2019 at Myer for $579.00.

Product is used: Several times a week

Virginia Turner

Virginia TurnerSydney, NSW

I love this coffee machine

I purchased the machine in December 2018 and I absolutely love it. It hasn't missed a beat and makes delicious coffee. It is well worth cleaning it regularly but it is easy to do. Highly recommend this product. There are good YouTube videos on how to use it too.

Purchased in December 2018 at Harvey Norman for $600.00.

maggsie

maggsieWestern Australia

Finally, a decent coffee machine

Our De Longhi Magnifica died after two years and it wasn't soon enough. While it was better than a pod coffee, it was still weak, cold and not worth the nearly $700 we paid for it. So we decided to take a chance on a semi automatic in the Breville Barista Express. We were surprised by how easy it is to make a coffee using this machine and it only took about 3 or 4 coffees to get the hang of it. Most important, the coffee is hot, it is easy to clean up and it is much quieter than the Magnifica! Really happy with this purchase.

Purchased in January 2020 at The Good Guys for $599.00.

valberg

valbergGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Much better than I could have hoped

For many years we held out on getting an espresso machine as they all came up very short. The real barista always made much better coffee than any of those home machines. Finally we found this machine at with good reviews and a reasonable price tag. We are super happy. The coffee is really good, the consistency is good enough so that with the same beans I never have to change the settings and so far a year in and after taking it camping where it tumbled to the ground in a storm, the machine has not skipped a beat. Very happy and rarely need to get barista made coffee on the way to work any more! The next level up in quality will come with a price tag that is at least double. The one I 'really' wanted was 6 times the price :D

Purchased in November 2018 at Costco VIC, Docklands for $550.00.

Shaun C.

Shaun C.Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Everyone needs one

I’ve had this machine for close to a year now, it’s gets used on average 3 times a day and it hasn’t missed a beat. Oh great finding new beans and being able to brew them to your preference. This is a must for any coffee lover

Purchased in March 2019 at The Good Guys for $680.00.

Cherry

CherryPerth, WA

9 YEARS ON still perfected

Bought this machine Christmas 2010, has been using it since. A great coffee machine as close to a professional one. It will take a bit time for a beginner to set up the grinder and water time to achieve their prefered setting. I think there is a design fault in the bean container if you accidentally pour water on top of the machine, water will run into the grinder, need to extra carefully.
About 4 years after purchase the seal in the machine failed cause water leak, it was very slow showing and made damage to the exterior of the machine where is not stainless. Took a bit time to repair but since then no other problems.
It is noisy when you turn it on, especially in the morning wakes up the whole household.

Purchased in December 2010 at The Good Guys for $600.00.

G W.

G W.Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

Good power steam

Makes really nice coffee. I’m not a pro, but it’s easy to use and the steam wand is powerful which my last one wasn’t. Good machine and suitable for a novice

Mega Bees

Mega BeesHunter Region, NSW

love it

We recently upgraded from a very old breville machine which lasted us years, and there was really no other brand to consider with this second purchase.
Breville are the dominator in the marketplace just ask any retailer! They’ll guide you to breville.
The machine is good value for money. It’s pretty speedy, and delivers a very tasty coffee.
Only annoying thing is getting the ground coffee bean cup out of the holder. There has to be a trick to this?

Purchased for $588.00.

Leanne S.

Leanne S.

No burnt coffees

Super happy with this product purchasw. My previous machine was consistently burning the coffee and was noisy and difficult to operate. This machine has been fantastic, providing consistently perfect brews.

Mark

Markcrib point

Could. Not. Be. Happier.

I bought a factory refurbished model to save $150.00 four months ago. Used it nearly every day since, and I could not be happier. Beautiful coffee, extremely easy to use and maintain. The amount of money I have saved on coffee with this thing...

Tip: If the needle is not indicating perfect espresso range, add more coffee to the silver thing so that it has a little resistance when you attach it to the machine.

Purchased in September 2019 at eBay for $500.00.

hjl

hjlGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

love my machine

love this machine was a bonus that red one cheaper at time
took awhile to get grind setting right but i have had 2 mild strokes so would be probably easier for someone else .still trying to do milk right have texture right just not hot enough fluked it once .iam just going keep practising .i am sticking to the one coffee single wall filter and i use a different ground one for the double wall filters love it overall .truely reccomend it

Purchased in December 2019 at The Good Guys.

Cameron

CameronMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Works great and make really good coffee

Best espresso machine Ive owned

- Coffee temperature perfect with easy adjustment
- Easy to use
- Easy to clean
- Better coffee than a barista

Purchased in November 2019 at Betta Home Living for $699.00.

Mary

MarySydney, NSW

This Coffee Machine Makes A Perfect Coffee Every Time. Can't Do With This Item. Love IT

This coffee machine makes a perfect cappuccino, etc everytime.
Easy to use. If you need help go to YOUTUBE and they can show you how to use this awesome machine.
Buying on Online made it a lot easier as well. I bought it on line and picked it up at the store (Bankstown) It was waiting for me. Thank you

Purchased at The Good Guys.

Tim h.

Tim h.Mid North Coast, NSW

This is a must have key component in yohr daily life!

Such a great,luxurious,professional and outstanding coffee machine.Top of the range when it comes to quality could not live with out it.Such handy machine to have available and it makes beautiful coffee!

Product is used: Several times a week

Frequently Asked Questions about Breville Barista Express

How do I enable the cleaning function on the Breville Barista Express?

If the “clean me” light is illuminated on your Barista Express, turn off your machine, and hold down three buttons - both the one cup & two cup buttons, and the Start button. While holding these buttons down, turn on your unit, and it will start the cleaning process.

What do I do if I am having issues with the taste/volume of my shot from the Breville Barista Express?

As a manual machine, the output from your Barista Express will come from your technique. Breville recommends to refer to the Extraction Guide in your manual, as this has pointers for many typical extraction issues, including shot quantity and bitterness.

Latest Consumer Questions

Alida W.

Alida W.asked

Why does my machine not go past "pre infusion"? Our machine is 7 mths oI'd. It has done this off and on since we purchased it.
Please help us. Thank you.

Geoff

Hi Alida...you might have to experiment a little with the bean grind control & try different ‘finer’ & ‘coarser’ settings. I’ve had similar & just try & few different settings.

Arthur O.

Arthur O.asked

My pressure gauge needle moves midway into the grey zone then after just a few seconds there is a "pop" sound like a valve has opened the needle drops back to zero while the water continues to flow resulting in a poor result, I'm thinking it may be a faulty pressure relief valve, has anyone else had this problem? The machine is a Breville Express BES870

FREEOFCLUBTELCO

suggest you contact Breville, doesn't sound like its working correctly

Steve

Steveasked

Sometimes my steam function turns off before milk is hot enough. Why is this? I can restart it but curious if this is intentional?

Get an answer from our members and Breville representatives

Download manual