Breville Barista Express

Breville Barista Express

BES870, BES860

• Product is used
    • Daily (99)
    • Several times a week (8)
    • Weekly (2)
  • Consistency
  • Milk Frothing

Poida88Springwood

I'm on to my second machine in 6 weeks!!! Absolute rubbish

First machine, flow meter went died. Wouldn’t stop pouring... second machine will not get to pressure at all from brand new in the box. Absolute crap. Do not buy. Back to the shop again tomorrow for a refund. I’m going back to sunbeam

Purchased in March 2020 at The Good Guys for $685.00.

Jake

JakeSouth East Queensland, QLD

Puts out great coffee when its not broken

Pressure was constant and reliable, Machine looks nice in the bench, Easy to keep clean,Was my best friend for 6 months........Until it broke on a Saturday morning!! Been away at a repairer under warranty for 2 weeks and yet to be looked at. Seems like it is just a white o-ring rubber seal in the group head/ basket that sets into the machine. Pretty disappointed that the entire pressure of the group handle relies on a silly frail o-ring to keep pressure. Very poor design

Purchased in August 2019 at The Good Guys for $685.00.

Linda

LindaSouth East Queensland, QLD

Good choice

Very good coffee machine could give you a wonderful breakfast partner everything morning and afternoon. Love it and also good price comparing the other important brand. It is a good choice.

Purchased in December 2019.

Manual / Semi-Automatic Coffee Machines

Find out how Breville Barista Express compares to other Manual / Semi-Automatic Coffee Machines

Dave

Dave

Great coffee machine

We were hesitant to upgrade from a pod machine due to the price, but so glad we did. Easy to use, great tasting coffee without the waste of pods.

Only downside is we are always cleaning up coffee grinds, but a small price to pay!

Purchased for $679.00.

Legrope

LegropeGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Junk and poor produce

Produces poor quality coffee - much worse than say the pod machine. Milk frothing very poor and doesn;t do well with more than one function at a time
Coffee produces also inconsistent

Purchased in March 2019 for $711.00.

Product is used Weekly
Angela S.

Angela S.Sydney, NSW

love love love this machine

great machine makes perfect coffee the way you like it and keeps it all in memory till next time you switch it on. Also easy to clean and very cheap to run and upkeep never had an issue grinds its own beans brilliant love it

Purchased in June 2017 at The Good Guys.

Lui P

Lui PSydney, NSW

Fantastic machine

Purchased this product based on reviews and I was not disappointed.
10/10. Great price and better tasting coffee than coffee shops.
My in-laws spent thousands on their coffee machine and this produces better tasting coffee and is easier to use.

Purchased in February 2020 at Bing Lee for $700.00.

millycarter

millycarterMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

i use this heaps; the milk frothed isn’t great and can be a little slow but overall a good coffee machine.

the coffee produced by the machine has a nice taste, the espresso shots are shorter than a normal machine but are still what you want. a good buy and would recommend

Purchased in November 2019.

Product is used Several times a week
Roshi

Roshi

Disappointing

Disappointed with this product, we have been using this coffee machine for less than 2 months, the one/two auto cup is not working properly anymore. Had to call the customer service, some trouble shooting over the phone which did not work. We have been told we need to take the machine to their service agent in seven hills. Service agent told us it took at least 10 working days to repair it. If it’s going to be repaired, waste of time and money.

Purchased at JB Hi-Fi for $600.00.

AAM95

AAM95South East Queensland, QLD

Great coffee machine for domestic use

In December 2019 I purchased our second Breville Barista Express coffee machine. Overall we are really satisfied with the quality of the coffee machine. We initially experienced some difficulty with the water/ steam knob which resulted in some initial difficulties with Breville with regard to customer service and claiming under the warranty, however these issues have since been resolved. The quality of the coffee produced by the machine is of a high standard, and highly customisable to taste. The only disadvantage to the machine is how noisy it is. We live in an apartment, and so am very mindful of using the machine before 7am as it is very loud and sends vibrations through the bench.

FREEOFCLUBTELCO

FREEOFCLUBTELCO

Great Coffee now that most of the auto functions no longer work

Have had mine about two years. Right away the frother was leaking water but meant I had to return it to my place of purchase which was in Melbourne, I live in Sydney (thanks Breville), so I've never used it. I struggled all this time to get a great cup of coffee despite adjusting all options continually, it was hit or miss. About 4 months ago the one/two cup auto fill was cutting out. So now I just hold that button to get it to stay on and control the amount of coffee into the cup. It now makes a consistent great cup of coffee now that I'm in control of the flow. Have to laugh but thats the truth.

Purchased in February 2018 for $640.00.

Geoff

GeoffPerth, WA

Love it...initially problematic but Breville's response was amazing!

Had never owned a coffee machine previously but finally bit the bullet! Was in the process of creating the perfect coffee when after 2 months the water flow for the extraction process ceased to turn off. Under warranty, Breville had the machine picked up, repaired and returned to me within a week...thanks Breville...first class response & first class service. Love the machine, makes a perfect coffee and couldn't be happier with it.

Purchased in December 2019 at David Jones for $597.00.

Emma R.

Emma R.South East Queensland, QLD

Love it

I love this machine affordable price great quality. Easy to to clean. I have this one for last one year don't have any problems. Nice to have this in my home

Purchased in April 2019 at The Good Guys for $6,000.00.

Kerry Kadel

Kerry KadelSouth East Queensland, QLD

Absolutely wonderful

Breville Barista is a wonderful addition to our kitchen appliances. It is been used nearly everyday for the last 8 months. Saved us loads of money at the cafe, we prefer the coffee we make at home with our Breville than a purchased coffee from a cafe.

Purchased in May 2019 at The Good Guys for $629.00.

Jon H

Jon HSydney Surrounds, NSW

Makes great coffee.

I’ve never paid this much for a coffee machine, but based on the taste of the coffee, it’s worth it. Better than lesser quality machines and better than the industrial Nespresso machine at my work place. Creamy and full bodied. Easy to use and the built in grinder is handy

Purchased in September 2019 at Myer for $579.00.

Product is used Several times a week

Virginia Turner

Virginia TurnerSydney, NSW

I love this coffee machine

I purchased the machine in December 2018 and I absolutely love it. It hasn't missed a beat and makes delicious coffee. It is well worth cleaning it regularly but it is easy to do. Highly recommend this product. There are good YouTube videos on how to use it too.

Purchased in December 2018 at Harvey Norman for $600.00.

maggsie

maggsieWestern Australia

Finally, a decent coffee machine

Our De Longhi Magnifica died after two years and it wasn't soon enough. While it was better than a pod coffee, it was still weak, cold and not worth the nearly $700 we paid for it. So we decided to take a chance on a semi automatic in the Breville Barista Express. We were surprised by how easy it is to make a coffee using this machine and it only took about 3 or 4 coffees to get the hang of it. Most important, the coffee is hot, it is easy to clean up and it is much quieter than the Magnifica! Really happy with this purchase.

Purchased in January 2020 at The Good Guys for $599.00.

valberg

valbergGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Much better than I could have hoped

For many years we held out on getting an espresso machine as they all came up very short. The real barista always made much better coffee than any of those home machines. Finally we found this machine at with good reviews and a reasonable price tag. We are super happy. The coffee is really good, the consistency is good enough so that with the same beans I never have to change the settings and so far a year in and after taking it camping where it tumbled to the ground in a storm, the machine has not skipped a beat. Very happy and rarely need to get barista made coffee on the way to work any more! The next level up in quality will come with a price tag that is at least double. The one I 'really' wanted was 6 times the price :D

Purchased in November 2018 at Costco VIC, Docklands for $550.00.

Shaun C.

Shaun C.Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Everyone needs one

I’ve had this machine for close to a year now, it’s gets used on average 3 times a day and it hasn’t missed a beat. Oh great finding new beans and being able to brew them to your preference. This is a must for any coffee lover

Purchased in March 2019 at The Good Guys for $680.00.

Cherry

CherryPerth, WA

9 YEARS ON still perfected

Bought this machine Christmas 2010, has been using it since. A great coffee machine as close to a professional one. It will take a bit time for a beginner to set up the grinder and water time to achieve their prefered setting. I think there is a design fault in the bean container if you accidentally pour water on top of the machine, water will run into the grinder, need to extra carefully.
About 4 years after purchase the seal in the machine failed cause water leak, it was very slow showing and made damage to the exterior of the machine where is not stainless. Took a bit time to repair but since then no other problems.
It is noisy when you turn it on, especially in the morning wakes up the whole household.

Purchased in December 2010 at The Good Guys for $600.00.

Frequently Asked Questions about Breville Barista Express

How do I enable the cleaning function on the Breville Barista Express?

If the “clean me” light is illuminated on your Barista Express, turn off your machine, and hold down three buttons - both the one cup & two cup buttons, and the Start button. While holding these buttons down, turn on your unit, and it will start the cleaning process.

What do I do if I am having issues with the taste/volume of my shot from the Breville Barista Express?

As a manual machine, the output from your Barista Express will come from your technique. Breville recommends to refer to the Extraction Guide in your manual, as this has pointers for many typical extraction issues, including shot quantity and bitterness.

Latest Consumer Questions

Erin B.

Erin B.asked

Barista Express BES860

I am having an issue with my BES860. If pressing the two cup button with no group handle in it, the water will just keep flowing out & would empty the full water container if I let it. I have tried resetting back to factory settings multiple times and would work straight away but the next day would bug out on me again. I’ve also tried unplugging at the power point & plugging back in, resetting again & still not fixing the issue & will not even revert back to factory settings anymore :( HELP!

Poida88

Take the machine back where you brought it and they should replace it. I’m on my 4th machine lol.....the second machine I got wouldn’t even turn on. The 4th seems to be working fine for now. Anymore questions let me know !!

Lejay

Lejayasked

I have had my Breville Barista Express machine for about 3 years and for the last 18 months I cannot get it to make a decent cup of coffee. The pressure gauge won’t move off zero regardless of what adjustments with regard to grind etc. It worked well for the first year and I always had perfect crema with no problem so very disappointed. I bought this machine because my brother had had one for about six years and he had no problems with his. I think the later models must have been made cheaper after looking through the complaints. Not good enough Breville!

Pam Formby

Pam Formbyasked

Just did a clean cycle, did not need to descale. After the cycle finished, the 1 and 2 cup filter buttons were flashing alternately. I have tried turning off and back on, tried holding the Program button to reset - still won't stop flashing?

Get an answer from our members and Breville representatives

Download manual