Rancilio Silvia

Rancilio Silvia

V5, V1, V2, V3 and V4

See the Best Manual / Semi-Automatic Coffee Machines in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

This is a great coffee machine

This is my second Rancilio Silva after the V1 and I have always been impressed with their quality and longevity. Commercial brass interior in a domestic package so it's a solid performer.

Purchased in June 2017 at Coffee Parts for $700.00.

GrinderRancilio Rocky Grinder

7 years and still going strong

This little gem produces great espresso (better with triple basket than double) and steams perfect milk. Results usually better when the machine has been preheated for at least 15 minutes. Good quality construction - had mine for 7 years and not had any problems so far (daily backflushing and monthly cleaning with a machine cleaner). Recommend for the home barista who wants to get more serious about improving the taste of their shots without spending a fortune on higher end, fancy-looking models.

Purchased in July 2012 for $820.00.

GrinderBreville Smart Grinder BCG800

Perfect machine and terrific coffee at home

I purchased the Rocky grinder and Silvia 5 coffee machine in September 2018 and found it simple to use as my first time making coffee, i cannot understand others who write they had to persist to learn how to use it, it is simple to master. I am completely satisfied with every cup of coffee made, 3 or 4 a day. Coffee a Roma demonstrated the machines as i purchased them. They paid for themselves by March, terrific value. As they wear i can purchase parts and keep the machines functioning as new. Cleaning is supposed to be after 1kg of coffee, but i have found this is not necessary except for a light brush of the group.
I have used several bean types and i have not adjusted the grinder yet, so simple to master. Both machines are very well made and i am able to purchase all worn components and replace them over the years, i am confident that they will provide excellent service for many years.

Purchased in September 2018 for $1,330.00.

GrinderRancilio Rocky Grinder

What a coffee machine. Amazing. Superb coffee from a compact espresso machine. luv it!

Temperature always perfect.
Pours are always perfect.
Frother works a treat.
Robust: survived a trip from europe to aus in my backpack.
Easy to clean, easy to use.
Chunky and solid buttons.
Sturdy Steel construction.

Purchased in August 2014 for $1,000.00.

Milk Frothing

Best coffee machine at an economical price

We are VERY happy with this machine. It has outlived the previous machines we had and produces better coffee than any of them. We thoroughly recommend it. The weakness of most other similarly or lower priced units is the boiler, which has a limited life. The Ranciilio has, (going on memory here), a cast iron boiler and simply doesn't rust. When this one finally gives out (if it ever does!), we will certainly be buying the same brand next time.

Date PurchasedJan 2013

Can't live without my ‘Miss Silvia’

I have had my ‘Miss Silvia’ Generation 1 coffee machine since 2008. She’s still going strong and I’m still in love with her. She consistently produces a high quality espresso and the froth for the cappuccino takes some practice to perfect, but is smooth as silk when you get it right. She’s definitely saved me a heap of money and sure beats going to my local café for my daily hit.

Date PurchasedJan 2008

The most practical domestic machine.

This is a suitable machine for people making between 1 &10 coffees in a session. Easy to get spares and robust. The quality of the coffee depends on your skill or desire to learn. It is not a machine for idiots, you will need to learn how to use it. There are hundreds of good youtube videos. I have a 100% success rate now and I have not had any failures, just had to tighten the part. Easy to clean.

Date PurchasedJul 2014

Amazing

This is a sturdy device that works perfectly so far. if you don't invest in, or already have, a good coffee grinder, you might have to work with the local grocer or starbucks to get a grind that is perfect. it is solid quality construction, and it pulls a perfect shot every single time. the steamer is much faster than my last machine and doesn't loose power after the first pitcher of foam.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Very good coffee

The machine is very good. It feels more like a industrial machine. Well made. You need to make sure you refill the boiler after steaming or frothing the milk. It’s tricky to get the temp correct for the coffee would be better if it came with PID if you can get the temp correct it makes fantastic coffee

Date PurchasedSep 2018

The best

I worked as a barista for over 10 years and I wanted to make my quality coffees at home as well, I tried several brands like breville etc. but this is the best coffee machine I ever owned, small and powerful, never had an issue with it and works almost like a commercial grade coffee machine. Love it!

Date PurchasedMar 2014

Cannot be killed, making excellent shots every day for 15 years

This has got to be the cockroach of the coffee world, I bought my V1 after much research back in 2003 and it is still going strong making multiple shots of excellent espresso day in, day out. Being a fully manual unit all aspects of your process need to be scrutinised like grind, quantity, tamp and possibly even temperature surfing if you're not in the PID club but the results are well worth the extra work that having this level of control returns.
This has not been without its ups and downs, those being generally perishing of gaskets in the group head, steam wand every three to five years and also the one under the boiler once but because the construction of this machine is so simple and sturdy, I managed to do all these maintenance jobs myself with a little help from YouTube and taking lots of pre-disassembly photos .
Yes, my frame is also rusting but is far from needing to be replaced with only the section under the drip tray really showing any major corrosion. If there really is a down side to owning this machine it's the constant sense of disappointment I feel when Sydney baristas charge me the the better part of four bucks for shots half as nice as I get at home for much less than half the price.

Date PurchasedNov 2003

Get what you pay for

I refused to buy a machine with built in grinders, lights and sensors because I have learned over the years that there is no free lunch; i.e. you get what you pay for. The PID is an expensive addition, but its well worth it in my opinion. A proper espresso is all about temp & timing (also the proper grind) and the PID allows you to pinpoint the EXACT temp the machine is at within 1 degree. The PID also is programmable and it controls the extraction time in addition to a pre-infusion; which helps prevent channeling of the coffee grounds during the extraction process.

Date PurchasedJul 2018

Rancillio Silvia = Very poor value

My 3rd coffee machine in 10 years, I purchased the Rancillio Silvia M thinking I had stepped up, when all I had done was brought a lemon.

Unable to achieve a good drinkable coffee or crema regardless of how long the machine is left to heat up, the grind or the freshness of the beans.
The basket is hard to fill, too much and it won't lock on, too little and the "coffee" pours out like dirty water.

Only good point, the steam wand works as it should, although, because of it s length, it required the machine to be tilted to allow the milk jug to clear the wand when being removed

I have returned the unit to the place of purchase, made harder because of their "week day only" opening hours, only to be told after a week of testing that the machine works fine so it must be the grind.

Have since tried numerous blends, grinds and tamping, all with no joy.

Save your money and time and take this brand off you future purchase list.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Very reliable coffee machine

Very happy with this coffee machine, have had it for around 7 years and I make 2 to 3 cups a day. Easy to clean and never seems to have any problems. Would buy another if this one was to die ever. Simple controls and quick to heat up, and looks good.

Date PurchasedJul 2011

Great machine

A very reliable coffee maker that consistently makes great coffee, it just keeps going and going. Pressure and heat up are great, especially with a PID temp controller added. Milk for 2 is about the max - but that's to be expected. The machine also looks great on the bench.

Date PurchasedFeb 2006

Lovely little machine!

It takes a little getting used to but once you have mastered the Sylvia, you will be enjoying wonderful coffee every day.

I recommend purchasing a quality grinder to use with the Sylvia. Pre-ground coffee is OK but you will need to experiment with the grind before you find your perfect cup

The milk steamer is excellent. It’s easy to use and produces a lovely micro foam.

The unit is very easy to clean, and if looked after will last for many years.

August 14th 2019 Update: Cafe quality coffee at your fingertips!

This is my second Rancilio Silvia. See my earlier review of the earlier model. I am a repeat Rancilio customer.

I desperately wanted to be able to recreate cafe- quality coffee at home, but could not afford to buy a commercial coffee machine. The Miss Silvia is the perfect solution. The insulation means the water temperature remains steady (good when doing multiple pours) and the machine heats up quickly. The milk frother is just as good as a commercial one. As with all good coffees, it takes some practice to master this machine. If your coffee isn't perfect the first few times then don't give up on the Silvia. She is great and you'll get there!

Purchased in June 2018.

The Best Coffee Machine for the Money

Great coffee machine, I have had this for 17 years and is in use every day, i put a new boiler in a year ago ( did it myself) and is like new again. Would recomend the Silvia, easy to use, easy to clean, but wouldn't be good for large amounts of coffee.

Date PurchasedJun 2001

Best of the basics

Under $1k this is the standout machine. We've had ours for 6-7yrs (I think) without a problem.
It built like a brick and serviceable - probably still the only sub $1k machine that uses a brass boiler, which is more durable and delivers more consistent heat and pressure. But getting good coffee requires 3 things - 1. You need to learn how to "drive" a manual machine. Once you do, you will be richly rewarded. 2. You need a good grinder if you want consistently good coffee (specialty coffees vary in hardness an therefore optimal grind). 3. Good coffee (ie the ones you won't find in a supermarket - find a good good microroaster.

Date PurchasedJul 2010

Good value for money, Poor customer service from Rancilio

A very neat and nice little espresso machine which can make great coffees. Small boiler means you can't make too many coffees in one session, and you have to wait for the boiler to re-heat for milk steaming. Good value for money though i think at around $800 new. I have had mine for a while and it has performed well and been well looked after. It is let down by poor quality manufacture of the grouphead cover which is chrome plated plastic. The chrome on mine has lifted and gone flaky (this is a known QC problem on some machines). I have emailed Rancilio to buy a replacement part but Rancilio have not even responded. Thats the disappointing bit. I have now bought another better machine from a different manufacturer and use this one at work now.

Date PurchasedJun 2013

My Pride And Joy

I love my Rancilio. It gave me an absolute thrill the "graduate" to this after years of putting up with a basic Sunbeam model. Construction quality is second to none and the results are truly professional look on Coffee snobs - you will see everyone has this machine. Its the king!

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Where can we purchase the Silvia and Rocky grinder with tamper? Are they sold as a set? Any suggestions, I live in Brisbane
There are plenty of Australian sources. Here is one https://www.coffeemachinespecialist.com.au/shop/rancilio-silvia-with-doserless-grinder-package/ Google to find others. You my need to buy online. Any Rancilio supplier would have them or could get them. This one is in Brisbane, but you may still need to buy online as it is through ebay. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rancilio-Silvia-V5-Espresso-Machine-Brisbane-Miss-Sylvia-Coffee-Machine-Maker-/172089351293

Are there grinders that are recommended for use with the Rancilio Silvia E ? I do have a grinder but I suspect that on the finest setting the grind is to coarse for the Rancilio Silvia E and the resultant brew is very disappointing ( very weak light brown with no crema). Any suggestions would be most welcome.
Have you considered the Rancilio Rocky (Doserless) grinder? You can pick one up for around $450. I purchased the Lelit PL043 grinder for $349 – it’s more compact than the Rocky.

I have just set up my 2017 Rancilio Silvia for the first time. I purchased a high end burr grinder from Baratza (recommended with this machine). I tamp the grinds and follow all instructions, but no coffee comes out. I have adjusted the grind size and tested still nothing comes out! Do I need to adjust the pressure valve? How do I get a shot of espresso to come through the coffee grinds and basket?
Hi Timoteo, It's possible that you have chosen a grind size that is too fine. If that is the case, and you tamp too firmly, little to no espresso will come out. I use a Rocky grinder and have it set to a grind size of 10 - unfortunately, I don't know how that translates to your grinder settings. The ground coffee should be quite fine. The finer that grind, the less tamping pressure required. The tamp pressure is important and you may be pressing too firmly. If you make some adjustments to grind size and tamping pressure, you may find that things start working as they should. If not, there may be another issue. The pressure valve is something I don't know anything about but I'd hope your new machines is set correctly. Good luck. Andrew

Rancilio Silvia V5Rancilio Silvia V1Rancilio Silvia V2Rancilio Silvia V3Rancilio Silvia V4
CategoryManual / Semi-Automatic Coffee MachinesManual / Semi-Automatic Coffee MachinesManual / Semi-Automatic Coffee MachinesManual / Semi-Automatic Coffee MachinesManual / Semi-Automatic Coffee Machines
Pump Pressure15 bar
Weight14 kg
Milk FrotherSteam Wand
Bean GrinderNone
Release dateJun 1998Jun 2006Aug 2009Dec 2013
Replaced byRancilio Silvia V2Rancilio Silvia V3Rancilio Silvia V4Rancilio Silvia V5

Visit official website - Download manual