Rancilio Silvia

Rancilio Silvia

V3, V4, V5, etc...

See the Best Manual / Semi-Automatic Coffee Machines in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Makingtide

MakingtideCanberra 2600, ACT

Rubbish disguised as commercial - I wish I could give zero stars

Loom is close to the boiler - burned out just after warranty, the second loom burned 18 months later. Chrome-effect peeled off the PLASTIC group-head. The boiler-gasket perished, spraying steam everywhere

Purchased in November 2013 for $800.00.

Noise Level

Carlo D.

Carlo D.Southwest, VIC

One of the best products I've ever bought!

I have had this machine for around 20 years and it has been used every day. The quality of coffee produced is unbeatable as is the reliability. I had a thermostat go faulty once about 10 years ago but a quick internet search had a part ordered and the machine up and running by the next day at a total cost of less than $20! Just buy one and buy the Rocky grinder as well. A couple of the best products I've ever bought!

Purchased in August 1999.

ChrisSydney, NSW

This is a great coffee machine

This is my second Rancilio Silva after the V1 and I have always been impressed with their quality and longevity. Commercial brass interior in a domestic package so it's a solid performer.

Purchased in June 2017 at Coffee Parts for $700.00.

lavenda

lavendaSydney, NSW

7 years and still going strong

This little gem produces great espresso (better with triple basket than double) and steams perfect milk. Results usually better when the machine has been preheated for at least 15 minutes. Good quality construction - had mine for 7 years and not had any problems so far (daily backflushing and monthly cleaning with a machine cleaner). Recommend for the home barista who wants to get more serious about improving the taste of their shots without spending a fortune on higher end, fancy-looking models.

Purchased in July 2012 for $820.00.

GrinderBreville Smart Grinder BCG800

Mark

MarkGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Perfect machine and terrific coffee at home

Purchased in September 2018 for $1,330.00.

Rob Boot

Rob BootMelbourne

What a coffee machine. Amazing. Superb coffee from a compact espresso machine. luv it!

Temperature always perfect.
Pours are always perfect.
Frother works a treat.
Robust: survived a trip from europe to aus in my backpack.
Easy to clean, easy to use.
Chunky and solid buttons.
Sturdy Steel construction.

Purchased in August 2014 for $1,000.00.

bilnrobnWestern Australia

Best coffee machine at an economical price

We are VERY happy with this machine. It has outlived the previous machines we had and produces better coffee than any of them. We thoroughly recommend it. The weakness of most other similarly or lower priced units is the boiler, which has a limited life. The Ranciilio has, (going on memory here), a cast iron boiler and simply doesn't rust. When this one finally gives out (if it ever does!), we will certainly be buying the same brand next time.

Date PurchasedJan 2013

Rosh

RoshCanberra

Can't live without my ‘Miss Silvia’

I have had my ‘Miss Silvia’ Generation 1 coffee machine since 2008. She’s still going strong and I’m still in love with her. She consistently produces a high quality espresso and the froth for the cappuccino takes some practice to perfect, but is smooth as silk when you get it right. She’s definitely saved me a heap of money and sure beats going to my local café for my daily hit.

Date PurchasedJan 2008
carmoda

carmodaSouth East Queensland, QLD

The most practical domestic machine.

This is a suitable machine for people making between 1 &10 coffees in a session. Easy to get spares and robust. The quality of the coffee depends on your skill or desire to learn. It is not a machine for idiots, you will need to learn how to use it. There are hundreds of good youtube videos. I have a 100% success rate now and I have not had any failures, just had to tighten the part. Easy to clean.

Date PurchasedJul 2014
Andrew

AndrewEMU CREEK

Amazing

This is a sturdy device that works perfectly so far. if you don't invest in, or already have, a good coffee grinder, you might have to work with the local grocer or starbucks to get a grind that is perfect. it is solid quality construction, and it pulls a perfect shot every single time. the steamer is much faster than my last machine and doesn't loose power after the first pitcher of foam.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

hahudson

hahudson

Very good coffee

The machine is very good. It feels more like a industrial machine. Well made. You need to make sure you refill the boiler after steaming or frothing the milk. It’s tricky to get the temp correct for the coffee would be better if it came with PID if you can get the temp correct it makes fantastic coffee

Date PurchasedSep 2018

Worst rash from BL!

Worst rash from BL!Melbourne, Victoria

The best

I worked as a barista for over 10 years and I wanted to make my quality coffees at home as well, I tried several brands like breville etc. but this is the best coffee machine I ever owned, small and powerful, never had an issue with it and works almost like a commercial grade coffee machine. Love it!

Date PurchasedMar 2014

Sardo

SardoArncliffe

Cannot be killed, making excellent shots every day for 15 years

Date PurchasedNov 2003

Austin Darke

Austin DarkeLawitta

Get what you pay for

I refused to buy a machine with built in grinders, lights and sensors because I have learned over the years that there is no free lunch; i.e. you get what you pay for. The PID is an expensive addition, but its well worth it in my opinion. A proper espresso is all about temp & timing (also the proper grind) and the PID allows you to pinpoint the EXACT temp the machine is at within 1 degree. The PID also is programmable and it controls the extraction time in addition to a pre-infusion; which helps prevent channeling of the coffee grounds during the extraction process.

Date PurchasedJul 2018
Me!

Me!Mildura

Rancillio Silvia = Very poor value

Date PurchasedJan 2018
Brad Mc

Brad Mcsydney

Very reliable coffee machine

Very happy with this coffee machine, have had it for around 7 years and I make 2 to 3 cups a day. Easy to clean and never seems to have any problems. Would buy another if this one was to die ever. Simple controls and quick to heat up, and looks good.

Date PurchasedJul 2011

Great machine

A very reliable coffee maker that consistently makes great coffee, it just keeps going and going. Pressure and heat up are great, especially with a PID temp controller added. Milk for 2 is about the max - but that's to be expected. The machine also looks great on the bench.

Date PurchasedFeb 2006

Jo loves her kids

Jo loves her kidsAdelaide

Lovely little machine!

Purchased in June 2018.

The Best Coffee Machine for the Money

Great coffee machine, I have had this for 17 years and is in use every day, i put a new boiler in a year ago ( did it myself) and is like new again. Would recomend the Silvia, easy to use, easy to clean, but wouldn't be good for large amounts of coffee.

Date PurchasedJun 2001

Hortoman

HortomanGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Best of the basics

Under $1k this is the standout machine. We've had ours for 6-7yrs (I think) without a problem.
It built like a brick and serviceable - probably still the only sub $1k machine that uses a brass boiler, which is more durable and delivers more consistent heat and pressure. But getting good coffee requires 3 things - 1. You need to learn how to "drive" a manual machine. Once you do, you will be richly rewarded. 2. You need a good grinder if you want consistently good coffee (specialty coffees vary in hardness an therefore optimal grind). 3. Good coffee (ie the ones you won't find in a supermarket - find a good good microroaster.

Date PurchasedJul 2010

Rob_lam

Rob_lamasked

I don't seem to be able to get the expresso to creme

Chris

I will try to help. Its a combination of coffee quality, grind, tampering and water temp temperature. Let's assume the quality is okay and you know how to get the right temperature on the machine. Grind the coffee to the granularity of caster sugar. Fill the basket with 15 -18 grams of coffee. Tamp it down with 30 Pounds or 12 Kilo of hand tamper pressure. Load the group handle and when the light indicator is correct. run the water pump through the coffee for around 30 seconds. If the coffee bubbles through too fast, the grind is too coarse or not enough coffee. If it struggles to drip coffee into the cup, the coffee is too fine or there is too much coffee. Experiment with coarser or finer and tamper pressure. Let me know how this goes.

Chris

This might help a little to see the result you should be aiming for.

Peter S.

Peter S.asked

Where can we purchase the Silvia and Rocky grinder with tamper?
Are they sold as a set?
Any suggestions, I live in Brisbane

bilnrobn

There are plenty of Australian sources. Here is one https://www.coffeemachinespecialist.com.au/shop/rancilio-silvia-with-doserless-grinder-package/ Google to find others. You my need to buy online. Any Rancilio supplier would have them or could get them. This one is in Brisbane, but you may still need to buy online as it is through ebay. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rancilio-Silvia-V5-Espresso-Machine-Brisbane-Miss-Sylvia-Coffee-Machine-Maker-/172089351293

Coffee Nut

Coffee Nutasked

Are there grinders that are recommended for use with the Rancilio Silvia E ?
I do have a grinder but I suspect that on the finest setting the grind is to coarse for the Rancilio Silvia E and the resultant brew is very disappointing ( very weak light brown with no crema).
Any suggestions would be most welcome.

fastred
fastred

Have you considered the Rancilio Rocky (Doserless) grinder? You can pick one up for around $450. I purchased the Lelit PL043 grinder for $349 – it’s more compact than the Rocky.

Get an answer from our members and Rancilio representatives