Good machine - poor SMEG service

I’m a big fan of the machine, I think it makes excellent coffee time and time again. I have a decent non-SMEG grinder though so that probably helps. I agree with some of the comments about the milk steamer but I don’t think that’s a huge issue.

I am totally unimpressed with the SMEG promotions system though. I purchased my machine with the promise of a free milk jug and knock box. It’s now been 2 months and it hasn’t been delivered. In this day and age I don’t think that’s acceptable.

Date PurchasedNov 2018
Hi Joey B - thanks for your feedback,I have been advised that there was a delay with the promotions stock arriving, however, can you kindly email us direct: redemptions@smeg.com.au with your full name, address and a contact number, we will then confirm that your order has been placed. Kind Regards SMEG AUSTRALIA.

Great coffee with limitations

This machine produces great coffee with a strong crema. The water tank size holds atleast a litre so you’re not having to fill it up all the time. The machine looks great sitting on the bench and receives many positive comments.

The negatives:
- The steam wand is very short. Make sure you only buy a small milk jug (I think mine is a 400ml capacity) or the wand won’t reach the milk.

- A normal size cup won’t fit under the group unless you remove the base. Even with the base removed, my 16oz keep cup won’t fit unless I put it on an angle which means I have to stand there and hold it.
- Sometimes, it can be a struggle to get the group back in. I have to run a cycle of hot water before it’ll slot back in.

I got mine half price which is good because I don’t think it’s worth the full RRP. Good machine, but better ones out there for that price point.

average

I trusted the reviews on this machine but I wouldn't have bought this machine had I been able to see it in a shop and play with it a bit. The first big issue is it uses a pressure basket. I didn't see this before I bought it and must have missed it in the marketing material.

The machine can make average coffee without a doubt but it's just a bit painful compared to other machines. You pay more for a different machine but you pay more for a reason.

It's the little things like not being able to buy a proper tamper due to the basket size being small. I looked around and asked the company but one is not available unless the company are nice enough to send one. Why is this important? Because you can't polish and tamp the coffee properly and if you can't do this then getting a predictable brew is rather difficult.

The baskets only fit a 14 gram dose of coffee at best. This isn't adequate for a proper double shot which is 18grams +.

The steam wand is just a silly size, it means having to use odd amounts of milk just to try to get a good milk swirl going. This is a pain.

The machine being such a light weight machine means putting in the group head and getting it out means things (the machine) are moving all over the place and you have to hold it down.

I do like that it really does heat up quickly. It is a good looking machine and it's easy enough to use.

It takes pods which is pretty interesting.

For me, I just really regret buying this machine.

Anyone want a cheap, pretty new Smeg machine?

Date PurchasedDec 2018

Love it

This is a great looking, easy to use and easy to clean machine. The coffee tastes great, consistent time after time. I have had my machine for several months now and I look forward to every coffee. I prefer the coffees I make at home to most coffee shop coffees now.

Surprised!

After researching coffe machines, I decided on a Smeg. I have never previously had a coffee machine, and needed one that was uncomplicated/easy clean. Being a novice it took a little while to familiarise myself with the process of making coffee. I am not disappointed with the coffee. It is wonderful! The temp, quality etc. I love it! The only thing I found a bit difficult was the instruction manual (being a novice) it took me a while to figure it out. I also need to purchase descaler and so far have been unsuccessful. ? LOVE this machine!

Date PurchasedOct 2018
Hi Dee, Thank you for your feedback. We're glad you're enjoying your Smeg coffee machine. You should be able to get the descaler from the supermarket or Bunnings. We recommend one by Hillmark. Regards Smeg

Time poor? Love coffee?

For nearly a year our SMEG espresso machine has provided consistently excellent morning (and afternoon) coffee
-Fast boil
-Easy use
-Easy clean
-Small and elegant
-Robust
-can handle cups to mugs

We'd highly recommend for time poor parents with full time jobs. The SMEG will help you start your day with a smile.

Date PurchasedJan 2018
Thank you for your positive review. We're glad your happy with your coffee machine. Regards Smeg

Enjoyable to use everyday and more economical.

Bought my beautiful Smeg Retro style coffee machine about one month ago and simply love using it every day - 3 times a day.
I enjoy good coffee at a fraction of the cost of my previous well known brand coffee machine.
So easy, quick to use and clean I wouldn't go back to the other machine I have.
The black is beautiful and suits my kitchen but love the look of the red as well.
Not a lot of info on how to use but all I can say is don't over think it.

Date PurchasedOct 2018
Hi HelenC - we love hearing about how much people love using our appliances ! Please keep in touch and if we can help in anyway please do not hesitate to reach out ! - Our Queensland head office telephone number is : (07) 3266 0444 - in the meantime, enjoy ! Ciao SMEG AUSTRALIA.Thank you for your message most reassuring to have a "helpline" if I need it.

This machine suits me perfectly, it is neat & compact, gorgeous retro styling but most of all makes

Very satisfied with the quality of coffee which is consistent, also temperature is exactly how it should be & milk frothing easy with great silky texture. Also love the retro design, very neat, doesn't take up too much bench space & very easy to clean. Overall a great little machine that is compact & reliable to produce delicious coffee.

Date PurchasedJul 2018

Cannot live without

This is by far the best coffee machine. It is easy to set - up, easy to use, easy to clean and in general perfect. Its an excellent addition to any family . Love the range of colours it comes in. Would love if it had a larger water tank. Heast coffee to a good temp and also the milk.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Love it!!

Love this. Purchased the smeg after my sunbeam got a bit long in the tooth. I love the fact it can be programmed. It’s a bit difficult at first to program but once you get the hang of it it’s great.

My only gripe with this machine is the milk frothed is a bit short. Other than that it’s great. Oh and the freebie pack by redemption was a nice surprise

Date PurchasedMay 2018

Like a pro

Well this item in our kitchen is a focal point. Many colours to choose from. From the work go you have many choices of different coffee selections programs to choose from. Again not a cheap product, but you will not be disappointed. The milk steam and froffer is so powerful and the machine is so easy to clean. Looks smike in your kitchen.

Date PurchasedJun 2018
Hi Susan, first your fridge, then your Oven and now your Coffee machine!! - In my favourite colour as well :-) Glad that you like your coffee machine, it is a great way to start your day. Thanks again for your positive reviews. Smeg Australia.

Beautiful coffee

Love this machine. It is stylish, very well made and easy to clean. Makes beautiful rich, full-bodied, italian style coffee - even from pre-ground coffee and ESE pods (illy). Will probably tamp coffee on weekends and just use the ESE pods on weekdays, it’s great to have that option. No more burnt bitter tasting coffee from popular pods just because it’s convenient. This machine ticks all the boxes. Many thanks!

Date PurchasedSep 2018
Hi Steve. Thanks for your review. I Love using the ILLY ESE pods as well. Enjoy!! SMEG AUSTRALIA.

Daily essential!

Absolutely love this machine. We’ve had it for a fortnight and have used it daily. It’s exactly the same every day, very easy to use and clean and I’ve never had a machine extract so thoroughly the grounds are practically dry afterwards. I haven’t tried using the pods that can be used with it but I’m sure they’re fabulous too

Date PurchasedSep 2018
Hi Sam G - thanks for your review. Personally, I love my coffee in the morning from my ECF01 - I use the pods, they are great as well. The pods are just the same as using the ground coffee, you just place the pod in the filter holder, centre it as much as possible and pronto ! Your coffee is ready - what a great start to the day, Once again, thanks for your feedback and enjoy!! SMEG AUSTRALIADo you have any brands you can recommend for the pods? I’ve never used pods and am worried about getting something incompatible. Would be good to have something for particularly rushed mornings rather than grinding beans (I like to grind fresh)The brand ILLY ESE ( easy serve espresso ) pods are great :-) SMEG AUSTRALIA

Use it everyday

Love love love love this coffee machine!
Wasn’t sure at first how it would work as it was much cheaper than any coffee machine I’d had before but it keeps up!
We use it everyday and it gives us perfect coffee every single time
We defiantly couldn’t live without it!

Date PurchasedJun 2018
Hi Hannah. Thanks for your review. It is great to read when our Customers are enjoying their products. SMEG AUSTRALIA

Love, love

What a great little machine...I love the style and it makes a great coffee. I like the fact that you can use ground coffee as well as pods which make cleaning easier (coffee grounds are like toast crumbs - spread!) Not a great variety of pods available - tho have found some that I like which aren’t too expensive. It does what designed to do - great value, would buy another

Date PurchasedJul 2018
Hi Ali D glad to hear you are in love with your coffee machine ! They make great coffee and how beautiful do they look in your kitchen! Enjoy :-) SMEG AUSTRALIA.

Does the same job as a machine twice as large

Brilliant machine. Compact, stylish, never burns the coffee. Had a few issues tweaking it at first, so i emailed support and they couldn’t have been more helpful. Once I worked out where I was going wrong (operator error), it hasn’t skipped a beat. Have had it for 6 months, it does anywhere from 2-6 coffees per day and it is going strong. The small water reservoir is the only drawback, but now I use hot tap water to warm my cup, then tip it into the back before I make the coffee and that extends the time between fills.
I have the sunbeam grind fresh, and we prefer the #10 grind for use in this machine. I have had better success and nicer coffee if I don’t tamp it too hard.

Date PurchasedMar 2018

Love it!

This little machine makes a fantastic cup of coffee for me every morning. I love the look of it, and its super easy to use once you work out everything from the user manual. I love that it doesn't use capsules - ground coffee tastes better and much less waste. I use the milk frother a couple of times a week and this always works well and is super quick.

Date PurchasedMar 2018

4 month review

At this stage I'm happy with this Smeg in its ease of use, cleaning and the quality of the coffee. I don't use the milk heating function so can't comment on how that works. A good point about it is it has a small footprint in comparison to competitors of a similar quality and as such takes up a minimal area. It appears to be of a solid construction and doesn't move around much when loading given its size. No complaints at this time

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Great coffee machine

Purchased the Smeg machine after repeated issues with boilers failing on Sunbeam product, super happy after one year, no problems makes a great coffee with excellent crema for the short black drinkers, did take a little getting used to milk frother as arm is quite short, so we went to a smaller jug, looks great, works great and no break downs 1 year of solid use

Date PurchasedJul 2017

Help please!!

Hello! I purchased this machine (RED) about 6 weeks ago now and it is a lovely looking little beastie and makes a very nice coffee! Unfortunately I am also having a problem with the ON/OFF switch being stuck in the "ON" position and initially thought it was something I would have to live with - after checking here on Product Review I see it appears to be a problem with some machines - aside from that it makes a nice coffee with an excellent crema - I purchased from Peters of Kensington (online) and unfortunately have no way of getting it back there as I don't drive a car and health problems - any help appreciated. I really do love the machine and SMEG products, have also bought and used your microwaves only over the past 10 years never having a problem with them and wouldn't consider another brand (hope I don't jinx myself!). I look forward to hearing from someone ... thank you ... APOLOGIES ... JUST REALISED I POSTED IN THE WRONG SECTION (should be Q&A) but it is a great little machine and would have given it 5 stars if the On/OFF button worked

Date PurchasedMay 2018
Dear v_williams, I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me with your address, telephone contact details and also if you can scan me a photograph of the rating plate from the base of the appliance. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problemsAnother user on here has since replied with what may be a "fix" for the problem which is the only fault I can find with the machine which is great! I will try that over the weekend and see how that goes ... if not I will come back to you. Would rather not tip the machine upside down if I don't have to - many thanks for your quick response