Smeg Retro Style 256L Top Mount (FAB28 Series)
Listing monitored by Smeg

• Internal Layout
Jay
JaySouth East Queensland, QLD

Brand new out of box - door/seals sticking

I have a new Smeg Retro fridge, FAB28 - just out of the box. Plugged in an operational but the door is sticking hard. I contacted Smeg and was advised to wipe down the seals and door jam with soapy water. It hasn't done much to resolve the issue. Any advice or similar experience here? As it stands I cannot open the door with the handle and instead need one hand on the handle and the other on the top of the door to pull it opened (hard). I'm worried the door will fly open and smash into the wall and damage the fridge - an expensive fault as these fridges are not cheap!!!

Purchased in October 2020 for $2,500.00.

hjjGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

if you like your vegies - dont buy this fridge

yes it looked cool at the time but after owning for about 3-4 years now am sick of vegies not lasting..constant water build up on the bottom and most plastics inside are now broken/perishing.

very poor quality fridge.

hjj

an update to this reveiew - have had a new fridge for 2 weeks and my wife just bought out the vegies we put in it when i installed it .. my god can still use them - not like the 4-5 day lifetime before !

Loud cracks and pops

Ok, this fridge looks amazing, I don't have it long, 4 weeks maybe but it's good on the inside too. However, It has been making the loud cracking noises others have mentioned and this worries me. The fridge was not cheap, so i really hope there's nothing wrong with it but at the same time, the noises are actually very loud

Date PurchasedMay 2008
Top Mount Fridges / Refrigerators

Find out how Smeg Retro Style 256L Top Mount (FAB28 Series) compares to other Top Mount Fridges / Refrigerators

LinaSydney, NSW

Ticking loud noise from the back of the fridge

I bought my Smeg FAB28 just 3 weeks ago. Few days ago, all of the sudden it got this ticking and clicking loud noise coming from the back of the fridge when the compressor is on. I have checked the user manual handbook of possibilities of noise but it doesn’t seem to be the one that cause the problem. Please advise.

Date PurchasedMay 2018

Thanks Steve. Will do

StephHobart, TAS

Loud cracking noises

In the last month my FAB has started making LOUD cracking noises. Enough to make me jump each time. The fridge seems to run warm and the the freezer is quick to ice up. But I love the look of it, just not functioning as well as my last fridge

Date PurchasedJune 2017
Steve C.Smeg

The best kitchen appliances in 2020!

Nathan S.1 Nov 2019
the-best-kitchen-appliances-in-2020

Best Fridges and Dishwashers in 2020!

Wendy Z.12 Nov 2019
best-fridges-and-dishwashers-in-2020

Avleen M.
Avleen M.23 July 2021
Freddie
Freddie

beautiful, not perfect

such a pretty thing, but functionality wise not optimal. the freezer is very small, and the fridge it self has proved to be quite unreliable. The plastic compartments inside are not of the kind of quality it is fair to expect of an expensive fridge. However, it looks great, and i do not regret the purchase

Date PurchasedJuly 2013
Tasha
TashaPerth

Funky but freezer section tiny

This is all about aesthetic. Looks super cool, but funtion wise isn't fab. Freezer box is small, but to be fair with such a cool looking fridge who cares about that ! I love mine and will probably upgrade to different colours every few years to keep the kitchen look fresh

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Very disappointed

Date PurchasedAug 2010
BabsQueensland, 4870

Was on my Wishlist for Years ... purchased as my Retirement Present ... Stress of Complaining Husb

Date PurchasedSept 2014

Will do .Thank You .

pam
pamAdelaide

Dissapointed they can't make a beautiful fridge functional

Despite knowing that this fridge was not self-defrosting I bought it anyway as I loved the retro styling. I now realise this was the wrong decision. The freezer is tiny & frost builds up quickly. In my frustration I decided to defrost with a chisel [totally dumb of me] & made a tiny hole in the freezer [it's plastic lining]. I have been told the whole fridge is completely unrepairable, which sounds ridiculous, but true. I was at my wits end as this fridge was not cheap! I bought a westinghouse instead & it's so much better even though it's still small - it has all the mod cons you would expect from a brand new fridge like self-defrosting, a proper crisper and an ice maker. Those details, I now realise are very important to me.

Beautiful retro look, but full of faults

My new Smeg fridge was replaced, as the door seal was faulty and left a gap at the top of the door, preventing fridge from keeping contents at correct temperature. The replacement fridge has the same problem with the seal. Butter placed in the top compartment melted and dripped through the fridge. I was told that Smeg fridges are designed to have a gap in the door seal, otherwise it would be too difficult to open the fridge door. Other fault - the light does not go off when the door is closed - the light can be seen through the gap in the door seal, and the door squeaks when being opened or closed. I am disappointed to find these faults, as had thought Smeg fridges were meant to be of a high standard?

Lovely to look at but cannot be repaired!

My fridge of this model looks beautiful but has a sick heart. I have had it now for 4 years, after a year it started to freeze up. Now it only freezes the freezer compartment th rest of the fridge just fills with condensation. The technician said it will cost $1000 to repair 'probably a gas issue' and that he could not guarantee that it would work after that. It's a shame!

Justine F
Justine Fsan rafael

Looks great but doesn't work!

EE Thomas
EE ThomasMelbourne

Good looking, but incompetent

wistow_druid
wistow_druid

I love my Smeg Fab 28's...both of them!

Whilst the FAB28 is not the most practical refrigerator in terms of capacity or ease of storage, I still love my two pink fridges! They have given me no trouble so far, they refrigerate and freeze food perfectly and they add a wow factor to my kitchen! The wow factor compensates for any little inconveniences!
If a food item accidently comes in contact with the back wall of the fridge, it does not freeze it solid as happens with some other brands. Eye candy...I love the colour and the retro shape!
The doors squeak when opened if there is weight in them! They are incredibly expensive!

snookies
snookiesasked
Retro Style 256L Top Mount (FAB28 Series)

Can someone please let me know when Smeg delivers a working retro fridge with auto defrost? I would definitely buy one because i love the look, but won't risk these problems. They are too numerous and all the same - rotting seals, condensation everywhere, water leaking into the bottom, manual defrost, cheap plastic internals, cooling issues, loud. Fix it and people will buy them. I don't know why they are continued to be sold the way they are.

Jerlyn Tanasked
Retro Style 256L Top Mount (FAB28 Series)

My Smeg retro style 256L (Fab28 series) was received last week. The door is Super hard to open. And now it gives our very loud noise from the back of the fridge. Not sure if the super heavy door is normal or the loud noise from the back is normal too. Can someone pls help to advise?

Steve C.Smeg

Dear Jerlyn, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your address, contact details and also scan me a photograph of the rating plate from inside the appliance. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve Cullen

Steph

Hi Jerlyn, the door will ease with use. I'm thinking the seals are new. Loud noise from back of the fridge not so good. Having the service manager on board is a bonus

Jerlyn Tan

How or where do I get the service manager to assess the fridge?

Gigi
Gigiasked
Retro Style 256L Top Mount (FAB28 Series)

Hi there, I am considering this fridge (mainly for aesthetic reasons, as this review site does not give me any certainty that this will be a product worth buying for the long term). Have any of the issues related to these fridges been remedied in the latest model?

Steph

Hi Gigi, I too fell in love with the aesthetics and it is sad to say this purchase has not been a good journey. I had to mess around and return the first one because of loud clunking (enough to make you jump) and the freezer is way too small. If it is for looks only and to store wine and a couple of ice cubes fine. Perhaps the latest model has rectified the issues I had but for the same $ you can now buy far more functional options. With bigger freezers. Good luck

See all Smeg Retro Style 256L Top Mount (FAB28 Series) questions

Get an answer from our members and Smeg representatives

Smeg Retro Style 256L Top Mount (FAB28 Series)

Compare all 20 Smeg Retro Style 256L Top Mount (FAB28 Series)
CategoryTop Mount Fridges / RefrigeratorsTop Mount Fridges / RefrigeratorsTop Mount Fridges / RefrigeratorsTop Mount Fridges / Refrigerators
Price (RRP) $4,490.00$4,490.00$4,490.00$4,490.00
Dimensions 1510 x 600 x 732 mm1510 x 600 x 732 mm1510 x 600 x 732 mm1510 x 600 x 732 mm
Energy Rating3.5 star(s)3.5 star(s)3.5 star(s)3.5 star(s)
Household Size 1-2 people1-2 people1-2 people1-2 people
FeaturesFoldable/Retractable Shelf, Frost Free and Wine RackFoldable/Retractable Shelf, Frost Free and Wine RackFoldable/Retractable Shelf, Frost Free and Wine RackFoldable/Retractable Shelf, Frost Free and Wine Rack
Handle Type ExternalExternalExternalExternal
Smart Fridge NoNoNoNo
Shelf MaterialGlassGlassGlassGlass
Number of Shelves4444
Number of Fruit & Vegetable Bins1111
Door Hinge LeftLeftLeftRight
Manufacturer Warranty2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)
Colour / FinishMintBlack VelvetGreenAustralia
Capacity
Total Capacity 256 L256 L256 L256 L
Fridge Capacity 222 L222 L222 L222 L
Freezer Capacity 26 L26 L26 L26 L
Release dateSept 2005Sept 2005Sept 2005Sept 2005
Compare all 20 Smeg Retro Style 256L Top Mount (FAB28 Series)
  • GTIN13: 8017709092443, 8017709100315, 8017709103446, 8017709103453, 8017709124359, 8017709124366, 8017709125479, 8017709125486, 8017709125493, 8017709130411, 8017709131258, 8017709131265, 8017709131692, 8017709131708, 8017709155049, 8017709155056 and 8017709157807
  • MPN: FAB28RBE3 and FAB28RBKA1