Loud cracks and pops

Ok, this fridge looks amazing, I don't have it long, 4 weeks maybe but it's good on the inside too. However, It has been making the loud cracking noises others have mentioned and this worries me. The fridge was not cheap, so i really hope there's nothing wrong with it but at the same time, the noises are actually very loud

Date PurchasedMay 2008

LinaSydney, NSW

Ticking loud noise from the back of the fridge

I bought my Smeg FAB28 just 3 weeks ago. Few days ago, all of the sudden it got this ticking and clicking loud noise coming from the back of the fridge when the compressor is on. I have checked the user manual handbook of possibilities of noise but it doesn’t seem to be the one that cause the problem. Please advise.

Date PurchasedMay 2018

Thanks Steve. Will do

Steph

StephHobart

Loud cracking noises

In the last month my FAB has started making LOUD cracking noises. Enough to make me jump each time. The fridge seems to run warm and the the freezer is quick to ice up. But I love the look of it, just not functioning as well as my last fridge

Date PurchasedJun 2017
Freddie

Freddie

beautiful, not perfect

such a pretty thing, but functionality wise not optimal. the freezer is very small, and the fridge it self has proved to be quite unreliable. The plastic compartments inside are not of the kind of quality it is fair to expect of an expensive fridge. However, it looks great, and i do not regret the purchase

Date PurchasedJul 2013

Tasha

TashaPerth

Funky but freezer section tiny

This is all about aesthetic. Looks super cool, but funtion wise isn't fab. Freezer box is small, but to be fair with such a cool looking fridge who cares about that ! I love mine and will probably upgrade to different colours every few years to keep the kitchen look fresh

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Very disappointed

Date PurchasedAug 2010

BabsQueensland, 4870

Was on my Wishlist for Years ... purchased as my Retirement Present ... Stress of Complaining Husb

Date PurchasedSep 2014

Will do .Thank You .

pam

pamAdelaide

Dissapointed they can't make a beautiful fridge functional

Despite knowing that this fridge was not self-defrosting I bought it anyway as I loved the retro styling. I now realise this was the wrong decision. The freezer is tiny & frost builds up quickly. In my frustration I decided to defrost with a chisel [totally dumb of me] & made a tiny hole in the freezer [it's plastic lining]. I have been told the whole fridge is completely unrepairable, which sounds ridiculous, but true. I was at my wits end as this fridge was not cheap! I bought a westinghouse instead & it's so much better even though it's still small - it has all the mod cons you would expect from a brand new fridge like self-defrosting, a proper crisper and an ice maker. Those details, I now realise are very important to me.

Beautiful retro look, but full of faults

My new Smeg fridge was replaced, as the door seal was faulty and left a gap at the top of the door, preventing fridge from keeping contents at correct temperature. The replacement fridge has the same problem with the seal. Butter placed in the top compartment melted and dripped through the fridge. I was told that Smeg fridges are designed to have a gap in the door seal, otherwise it would be too difficult to open the fridge door. Other fault - the light does not go off when the door is closed - the light can be seen through the gap in the door seal, and the door squeaks when being opened or closed. I am disappointed to find these faults, as had thought Smeg fridges were meant to be of a high standard?

Lovely to look at but cannot be repaired!

My fridge of this model looks beautiful but has a sick heart. I have had it now for 4 years, after a year it started to freeze up. Now it only freezes the freezer compartment th rest of the fridge just fills with condensation. The technician said it will cost $1000 to repair 'probably a gas issue' and that he could not guarantee that it would work after that. It's a shame!

Justine F

Justine Fsan rafael

Looks great but doesn't work!

EE Thomas

EE ThomasMelbourne

Good looking, but incompetent

wistow_druid

wistow_druid

I love my Smeg Fab 28's...both of them!

Whilst the FAB28 is not the most practical refrigerator in terms of capacity or ease of storage, I still love my two pink fridges! They have given me no trouble so far, they refrigerate and freeze food perfectly and they add a wow factor to my kitchen! The wow factor compensates for any little inconveniences!
If a food item accidently comes in contact with the back wall of the fridge, it does not freeze it solid as happens with some other brands. Eye candy...I love the colour and the retro shape!
The doors squeak when opened if there is weight in them! They are incredibly expensive!

Gerry

GerryMelbourne

Very Poor

Continual problems with freezer. Ice builds up very quickly on door so constantly defrosting. The plastic covers over cheese etc break very easily. Performs basically for what is a reputed high quality brand. Would not recommend this fridge in any shape or form. LIke having a crank handle on a porsche.
Looks good
Function poor

sue ross

sue rossasked

Can you reverse the door?

Hi Sue,
Yes, it is possible, but you would have to buy a new door.

Regards,
Smeg Tech Support

Karen Wallis smith

Karen Wallis smithasked

Can somebody tell me how to stop my 4 month old retro look smeg upside down model fridge, from getting condensation in the crisper. Everything goes off , soggy . So disappointed as my old fridge was so much better

Rodney M.Smeg

Hi Karen Wallis smith,
Sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing with your fridge. We would suggest to set the fridge temperature to 3°C for optimum storage. If you see no improvement after changing the temperature, please contact our service department to organise one of our technicians to check the fridge.
Regards

Janet

Janetasked

Hi, I have had my smeg fab28 for a number of years now so it is well out of warranty. I was wondering if you can help me. The two plastic door shelves are very fragile and keep falling down if any weight at all is put on them. I've been to get them replaced once but they're broken again.
I put one of them on the very bottom so it is held up by the bottom contour of the door. The other I basically leave empty but whenever I have a house guest or family visit they put a few things on it and down it comes all over them. What do you recommend? Regards, Janet. Earlwood Sydney.

Elisa
Elisa

Hi Janet. Of the various problems I encountered with my Smeg fab28 fridges, the shelves on the door were not included. Though, given your experience, possibly something to look out for as time goes by. When searching on-line for information about Smeg fridges, I came across references to some businesses having spare parts, though the main focus was on replacement seals. I would suggest getting in touch with the Smeg service centre, who might have, or be able to get, replacement shelves. For example, when my first Smeg fab 28 was taken away and replaced with my second fridge, I was told the fridge would be used for spare parts - it had all the shelves and drawers inside, near new, as the fridge was less than 12 months old. Good luck.

Get an answer from our members and Smeg representatives