Smeg FQ60XPA

Smeg FQ60XPA

MPN: FQ60XPA

It had a problem, but Smeg customer service is great

We were very happy with our fridge right up to the point when it failed - on Christmas Eve. However, Smeg had a serviceman out on December 27. He was unable to see what the issue might be, and shortly after Smeg contacted me to say that they would be replacing the fridge with a new one. My fridge was just over three years old, so out of warranty. New one seems fine, and I can't fault Smeg customer service.

Date PurchasedOct 2015

Two lemons in a row - never again will I buy a SMEG product.....

I purchased my SMEG 583 Litre fridge in December 2013. In December 2014 the fridge motor blew up and I woke up to rotting food and water all over my brand new wooden floors. SMEG wanted to order a new part to repair it. I advised them not good enough and I wanted a replacement fridge. SMEG advised this would take several months....it did. March 2015- new SMEG 583 Litre fridge arrives. Noisiest fridge I have ever had the misfortune to live with, not 24 hours a day but when it frequently kicks in to do whatever fridges do it is LOUD. I raised this with SMEG..."live with it they said, this is normal". Really- a $3000+ fridge and this is normal. Then within 6 months the left fridge door would not close. A spring had broken on the door frame and the rubber seal had to be manually pushed in to close the door. Spoke to SMEG... was told, "this is what you have to do... it is the way the door closes".....no...this is not right. Finally at my expense a trade person recognised that oh yeah, the spring has broken.... need to order one and you guessed it.... going to take a few months.... and you dear customer will have to pay for it. I have now commenced a new role where I work from home. The fridge has actually led to me crying some days as the noise is ridiculous. I am going to buy a new fridge.....NOT A SMEG.... as the brand is rubbish.

Date PurchasedMar 2015
Thank you for your review. My name is Steve Cullen and I am the National Service and Spare Parts Manager for Smeg Australia. In order for me to investigate this matter can you kindly email me direct with your full name, address and a contact telephone number along with the name of the Agent who has looked at your fridge. Once I have this information I will be in direct contact with you to discuss this matter. My email address is steve.cullen@smeg.com.au - I await your reply .Kind regards Steve.

Bottom right freezer melt down

Found the bottom right freezer had stopped working altogether. Have noticed the top of the door had become very hot the last few days. Everything defrosted no coldness at all. After emptying it out, not that there was a lot in it, it seems to have come good. See how it goes with food in it. Out of warrantee of course.

Date PurchasedJul 2014

Outstanding!

I searched high and low for a French door refrigerator but most freezer compartments came as drawers. I finally discovered this Smeg 4 door and it is brilliant. There is so much room and the ability to easily and quickly turn one half of the freezer into a fridge has been incredibly useful. I love that I can open some of the fruit/vegetable drawers without having to open both doors and that I can easily adjust the shelves for my needs. The stainless steel does not show fingerprints, it is easy to clean and looks gorgeous. We bought it from Winnings in Artarmon and they gave us a great deal on this fridge.

Date PurchasedJul 2017

Expensive disappointment

The bottom right door (freezer) is reluctant to shut properly unless it is firmly pressed into place. Every other fridge/freezer door I’ve ever owned (in fact even the other three of this fridge) have all closed with a shove.
With this one, it either stops short or bounces back open, leaving it slightly (unnoticeably) ajar and eventually defrosting everything inside that section.

Smeg’s service man advised that this is the design of the door and there is nothing they can do about it.

May not sound like much, but it is infuriating and I would strongly urge you to reconsider buying this fridge if it’s on your radar.

Date PurchasedJun 2016
Dear Phil, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your address and telephone contact details. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve Cullen

Great concept

worked well and then we noticed a high pitch buzzing when motor switched on. rang Smeg service agent who we had dealt with for our other appliances and they fixed a faulty condenser switch. Was out of warranty but they covered the cost. I like that you can utilize the right hand bottom freezer to a fridge which works for our family. It can be a bit noisy when the house is quiet. As a few reviewers have mentioned the plastic used for the drawers and fittings is quite flimsy and we have had edges and rollers snap off in the fridge and freezer spaces.

Date PurchasedOct 2014

Serious Design Flaw

We loved the look or our new Smeg FQ60XPA but after a few months we noticed the right freezer compartment door being slightly ajar several times, 4 of which for several hours so the food inside was completely defrosted. We called Smeg and were told there was nothing they could do about it because the compartment on the right runs on it's on fan, which meant that there was a slightly higher air pressure in that compartment. So you have to pay extra attention to shut it properly. Whereas the compartment on the left cools the top refrigerator compartment so there is lower air pressure and the door gets pulled in as per most other fridges.

Since then we have tried very hard to remember to shut the right compartment fully by pushing the door closed. We have not slammed it at all. There is a serious design flaw if the user has to deliberately push the door shut every time. When cooking, very often hands are full and there is a rush to get whatever is taken out to the stove. So numerous times, we've just shut it by pushing the door from the open position and it has bounced off the frame and been left slightly ajar. This has not only put a strain on the unit which now emits a rattling noise, but has caused a lot of wastage in food having to be thrown away and cost of the food as well. Further, why is the door alarm only for the refrigerator compartment? All in all it has led to much anxiety when using this fridge.

Date PurchasedFeb 2016
Dear Tay, could you please email our National Service Manager, steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your contact details, address and the problems you are experiencing with your appliance. Once he has this information, he can ascertain how to best rectify the problem. Regards Smeg

One of the best

I bought this fridge over 5 months ago and so far has no issue. Running quite. energy efficiency , looks good on my kitchen, good design from smeg. I like the inside where there is plenty of room. Expensive but money well spend . Easy to clean and plenty of tries.

Date PurchasedJul 2016

good so far

fridge is mostly quiet but sometimesyou hear it. the only real downside is the same for all fridges these days it seems as evert one i know with a new fridge has the same problem. the plastic used in the freezer and door shelving is brittle and cracks easy. im quite a careful person but my freezer already is missing the front to a drawer because it shattered when i pulled the drawer out

Date PurchasedApr 2016
Dear Artist30, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your details. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve Cullen

Great fridge and very flexible

Bought the Smeg 4 door fridge as a great fit with our new kitchen. In place now for over 12 months and couldn't be happier. Works really well and the flexibility with the second side of the freezer (you can alter temp and make it a fridge instead) is great.

Date PurchasedJul 2015
Thanks for sharing, Julian, and Happy New Year to you!

So far so good!

We've had this fridge about six weeks now, and we REALLY like it. It's set out really well, nice deep shelves and after having a fridge with a drawer at the bottom, the doors on the SMEG are much better. It doesn't have a water dispenser or automatic ice maker, but that's OK for me...just another thing that might break down. I love the simplicity of the design.

Date PurchasedJul 2016

Great fridge, lots of space. Versatile.

I am mostly happy with my new Smeg fridge. It has plenty of room, I use the bottom right hand side as a fridge for my veges rather then as a freezer- but I love that I can change it over if I need to.
I really like how the shelves are deep and wide so it's very easy to see what is in there.
It is cold enough, no condensation.
There are 3 negatives 1) the door does not just swig closed, it needs a little push, but it does suction closed very well. 2) it's a lot noisier then my last fridge (an Electrolux, also a great fridge but not quite big enough for me) 3) the shelves are not that adjustable so some things can only fit on the door, for example the sauce squeazy bottle and bottles of beer. I think that these are thing we will quickly become accustomed to.

Great in Looks and Performance

I really wanted a 4 door style fridge freezer. Most on the market looked very over designed, like on steroids! I found them most unattractive - and rather clunky in the internal design as well. This SMEG Four Door Fridge Freezer is very understated, with minimal elegant design and a stainless steel finish that doesn't seem to show marks and hand prints. The handles are square edged to compliment the design.

The space within feels well planned, and easily to segment for a busy household. There is never a problem finding anything. I added some clear narrow long slide out containers on the upper shelves from Howard Storage that fit absolutely perfectly - the full depth of the shelf. I use these containers for small items, jars, bottles & packets etc so you just pull them out to find what you want, rather than digging around at the back in the fridge.

Everything is easy to use except for the traditional style ice tray / compartment. This feels clumsy and tends to stick, etc and I have to wiggle and pull quite a bit. It takes a fair amount of space for minimal result - I think it could be designed better. Like a another reviewer mentioned, this could be prone to breaking in the long term future. In fact, I grumble about the ice unit every time I try and use it. As for the rest of the Fridge/Freezer - I have no complaints at all.

I also love the drawer system for the freezer as I really did not want one of those big dump bins. However, it might not suit someone who wants to freeze really large items. So far, I have not had a problem at all.

I bought this 583L SMEG Fridge /Freezer along with other appliances from Winnings in Brookvale when I was renovating my kitchen. Service at Winnings is absolutely fantastic, and the price was very competitive.

Keep in mind re delivery - this is an oversized appliance for normal doors.

Awesome Fridge Freezer

We brought this a little over a two years ago. We got a pretty good deal from Appliance Warehouse in Clifton Hill Melbourne. Certainly less then $3K.

The unit is in brushed stainless steal and is a large fridge freezer with temperature control for the different zones. The handles are square in design and although sleek they feel strong.

The Fridge area has more space then we need, which is great. The drawers are good for keeping things fresh for longer. The door seals well, which is good, as some other models from competitors do have issues with this. One problem is that when the left hand door is shut you can not open either draws on the right hand side. Seems like a design fault. We did not pick this up when we viewed the item, but you get used to it. The reason for the draws not opening is because the center magnetic seal strip which enables both doors to close and seal means the draws can not open.

The freezer area is great with two separate compartments which can be controlled independently from each other and even one compartment can be turned into a fridge, which is useful for the festive periods when you need more space. There is plenty of space with draws and a top shelf. No build up of ice to date. The doors for both the fridge and freezer are thick so keep the heat out and make the unit feel quality.

There is no indoor ice machine, rather the old school ice cube trays and a container beneath for dumping the cubes and refilling. They come with twist function to get the cubes out. This part does feel like it may break over time as it is all plastic. No issues thus far.

We have had a major fault with the appliance which was replaced. I assume we just got a bad one! The problem was first discovered within six months when the fridge and freezer began to defrost! We lost some items and an engineer was sent out. There was a motor fault which ended up being replaced we were provided a cheque for the value of the perished items. We thought this was fixed, when almost a year later a similar problem occurred. An engineer came out to inspect and attempted to fix. Items did perish and we were reimbursed. The engineer was at a loss to fix. Apparently they never have issues with these models and very surprised we have had a second fault. This time the whole unit was replaced, at no cost to us. When the new unit arrived there was a scratch on the door so they replaced with one of our old doors, so all good.

The service from the after sales team was great and we were always informed when the engineer would be attending and given a time line for fixing, not usually lasting more then a week. The fridge worked intermittently thru this time and we had our old bar fridge which we brought out from the garage.

All in all a great fridge, but we did only have a bar fridge previously so quite a jump in terms of quality and space. We love it and expect it to last for years to come (hopefully with out further fault).

So an update. Our fridge has begun making a buzzing sound which is audible throughout the house. I called the service centre to be told that the fridge is out of warranty, service call out fee for Vic is $100 for first 15 mins and $33 there after plus what ever parts cost. The thing that takes the biscuit is that we had the fridge replaced, apparently you then do not get a full warranty, rather just the remainder on your existing warranty, so what I thought was gong to be fixed now looks likely to cost us.. Updates to follow.

Smeg-The best

one of the best fridge available in the market. Giving option to convernt freezer to fridge.Low kw usage per year. great design. great fridger door so with many comparements and drawers rather than regular pull on drawers without different comparatment with other fridges. Most recommended fridge. Nice lighiting inside. highly recommended
conversion for freezer to fridge and low kw per year including design
none

Low kw usage per year, LOL?

What does a red exclamation mark mean on temperature control panel
Hi Kellee, thank you for your enquiry. The read exclamation mark on the control panel means you need a service call. Can you please contact us direct, or email us direct with your full name, address and a contact telephone number so that we can organise this. Our email is service@smeg.com.au our telephone number is 02 8667 4833. Kind Regards, Lesley.

Hi, we have the FQ60XPA 4 door fridge/freezer. Unfortunately we've had quite a few problems with this fridge. While it was still in warranty, the little knobs that the door shelves/drink holders slide into broke off and we got 2 new fridge doors put on. Now the left hand door doesn't shut properly, the white flap that is supposed to flip back to left hand door no longer works and we have to manually push it in so that it slides into the little groove to close/seal the fridge. Have been told to contact your maintenance providers here in WA who have told me it's a $143 call out then $16.50 per 10 minute time unit!!!! I'm wondering if it is perhaps just the 2 little silver coils/springs that need replacing and if so, can I just get those parts direct from Smeg? Look forward to a response. Kind regards, Chantal

Hi Chan Russ the springs are available as a spare part please call Smeg spare parts on 02 8667 4875. Regards Smeg tech support

FQ60XPA