Door flapper

Door flapper fails to go into position to allow the door to close , have to hold it into potion to be able to close the door , has anyone got a fix , the flapper spring is not broken ,got home one night from work and my wife handed the spring to me telling me she found it on the floor

Purchased in February 2017.

Internal Layout
Household Size 2 person(s)

Best fit for kitchen with a rather shallow recess.

Best fit for my kitchen where space is plenty but lacks the cabinet depth but yet we still want a fridge that can accommodate a family of 5.

The temperature so far has been even for both fridge and freezer and have not experienced any sort of freezing for items places on the top shelf of the fridge. The best part about this fridge is that it offers plenty of space for a smaller foot print in your kitchen. It would be nice if Fisher & Paykel would sells a wider fridge with similar depth and height.

Purchased in March 2019.

Internal Layout
Household Size 5 person(s)

Annoying Intermittent fault with water dispenser not working most likely freezing up

I have the new model (RF522ADUX5) which just came into the market and superseded the old model (RF522ADUSX5). Everything is good but it has an intermittent fault with the water dispenser either clogging or freezing up every month or so. Sometimes for days unless I play around with it (on /off, pull fridge in and out, take water pipe in and out) after a while it would work again. It has been to the workshop once already where they apparently found a blocked spigot and replaced that but I'm guessing they did not take it apart to check or insulate the water pipe inside the fridge and they obviously cannot leave it on for weeks to monitor for fault. I just hope its not a design fault with the new model, I know some LG fridges are notorious for this water pipe freezing issue from research on the internet where an aftermarket product is available to thaw the water. I will find out soon as FnP will be replacing the fridge as next course of action, and will update this review accordingly.

Purchased in August 2018 at Appliances Online for $1,980.00.

Internal Layout
Household Size 2 person(s)
update replacement fridge so far is OK after a month of operation.

Great fridge

This is definately the best fridge i have ever purchased, well designed and thought out for every day use, everything just seems to have a place. The french door design makes is practical yet very stylish too.

Purchased in January 2019 at Bing Lee Physical store for $1,750.00.

Internal Layout
Household Size 4 person(s)

Convenient and quiet

I needed a new fridge to fit into the fridge space in my new home and the Fisher & Paykel I choose turned out to be perfect. The french doors really suited our home as it meant that the fridge could be open at the same time as someone was walking through the narrow kitchen it sits in. A single door fridge would block off the whole walkway until it's closed again. Also, the Fisher & Paykel doesn't make the noises of other fridges you sometimes here at other peoples houses.

Purchased in November 2018.

Fantastic fridge

Such a great fridge. Huge amount of space in both fridge and freezer. Ice cold water on tap and auto ice! Brilliant. Quiet, energy efficient and very sleek to look at.

Purchased in March 2019 at JB Hi-Fi for $1,799.00.

Noise Level
Household Size 3 person(s)

Fridge Freezer Size and Handle Location.

Our previous kitchen fridge freezer was also a, Fisher and Paykel. Ours is a white finish surface with the door handle located further away from the door edge and was fitted close to the white finish. The closeness meant that when you used the handle to open or close the fridge your fingers usually touched the white surface. When the fridge door was fully open and you wanted to close it you reached out for the handle. Because the handle was further away from the edge you couldn't get hold of the handle unless you took, just a step to the right. So fingers were put on the white edge of the door to close it. Over a long period fingers and hands toughing the white finish caused marks to appear on the edge and under the handle. The acid in our skin had damaged the white surface. Short of repainting the whole fridge we moved it to garage as a drink fridge and brought the RF522ADX5. This Fisher and Paykel has a stainless steel finish and is more resistant to damage and marks. This fridge also has French Doors so the opening and closing isn't a problem. Then we come to size of the fridge. There is such a lot of models to chose from. Having a 20 year old style house with cupboards over the top of the fridge limited what fridge would fit. Short of buying a small size unit fridge 440 or smaller we were lucky enough to find the RF522ADX5 just fitted height wise and was 519 litres. This limited choice for a family meant we had very few fridges to pick from. The new fridge doesn't have egg shelves, we were told it had to do with hygiene. Not sure about that millions of eggs have been stored in egg shelves in the last 50 years or so. Also the freezer has one big bottom draw. Reminds me of a chest freezer. We were lucky there was a cash back bonus and the store we brought it from also provided a large quality esky also as a bonus, thanks Mr. Harvey.

Purchased in December 2018.

Problems 2 12yrs old

You get a 2yr warranty and then the trouble starts. We had water under the fridge which ruined the wooden floor so had been leaking for awhile. We pulled out cleaned up cleared the tube at the back. Now buzzer goes off 20 times with the spanner showing. Phoned Fisher & Paykel would be a $148 call out fee plus parts. Have phoned Fair Trading recommend going back to the supplier. If no go there put forms into Fair Trading. Would not advise buying a Fisher $ Paykel appliance. Must say has been okay until last few months. We have had other brand fridges last 15yrs.

Date PurchasedApr 2015
Harvey Norman really impressed me how they were so helpful with our 2 1/2 yr old fridge. Were not impressed with Fisher & Payke customer service. Harvey Norman spoke to the rep who then arranged for a Fisher & Paykel technician to arrange a time to fix the problem.. In a few days was fixed. Going by other reviews we checked wire on top of door left hand side but no break. Wire was broken bottom of flap. Sounds like there is a manufacturing problem. Has turned my family off buying any Fisher & Paykel products. If want to turn beeping off you hold top 2 buttons fridge and bell plus the + button all together for 4seconds, a red candle will appear top right hand corner but no light in fridge but you have a peaceful fridge when opening until can be fixed.

Brilliant functional design

Very easy to clean & organise. Maintains temperature effortlessly. Freezer compartment comprised of 2 easy glide drawers which works so well when rationalising freezer foods. Such a luxury having iced water on tap. A very smart addition to my kitchen with easy to clean stainless steel finish. I really like the slide out shelf with the fresh produce bins.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

What a great fridge, spacious , quiet and functional and easy to keep clean

1. Temperatures reliable always
2. Love all the aspects of this fridge
3. Ease of opening and closing excellent.
4. After 3 years, problems NONE - last fridge Samsung 2 door, leaked water all the time, not fixable, two years and off to the tip.
5. No noise, very Happy.

Date PurchasedSep 2015

Great Fridge, Roomy and Quiet

I love my new fridge, it is roomy and quiet. When it first got connected it made a lot of noise, but then it settled and after 48 hours I could hardly hear anything, I forget it is there, what an amazing fridge, everything fits and looks so stylish, I love the french doors, it keeps all my food organized and very neat.

Nice & Silent Fridge

Works real nice, modern square edges and best of all unlike our old fridge this one is silent, no noisy buzzing or clunks. lots of great storage compartments and loads of clever spaces. Easy to access all the back corners and easy to change shelf levels quick when required for taller items.

Date PurchasedApr 2018

good fridge but noise

nice good looking fridge
first two years perfect then become noises.
as soon the warranty was overt problems started.
water is not very cold and the ice tent to be one frozen piece
water filter light turn on every 6 months even i don t use the water and needs to be reset

Date PurchasedJun 2015

Excellent fridge

Excellent fridge. Easy to hook up the ice and water. Great features with the bottle chiller and door alarm and runs very quietly. Large freezer space with 2 large draws.... Perfect size for a family of 4 with room to spare.....Recomended purchase for a smaller fridge space but with the french door feature.

Date PurchasedAug 2018

Excellent fridge for kitchen with limited space

We previously had a Fisher and Paykel 519L fridge/freezer and it was excellent, so we were happy to purchase this brand again. We chose the French door model as we live in a Sydney terrace with limited space in the kitchen - the doors don’t need as much space to swing open as our previous fridge. Unlike a side-by-side fridge, the French doors open to a single compartment, which means you still have a nice wide shelf for platters and the like. My only criticisms are that unlike our previous fridge this doesn’t have a dedicated ice shelf in the freezer and there is no egg storage in the fridge - so we’ve had to leave our eggs in cartons.

Date PurchasedJul 2018

Better than expected

Love my new Fisher and Paykel fridge. Everything I need for a small family and looks great. I have only had the fridge for a few months but have noticed the vegetables remain fresher for much longer than my last fridge. Very happy so far. My only observation is the water spout for filling up a glass of chilled water could be a little wider to allow faster refills.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Broke after two months. Still waiting on a response.

Water leaked out of the door handles within two months of purchase. Technician arrived after two weeks. Have been waiting four months with no answer.

Customer support seemed annoyed that I even asked why I'm still waiting. Said they would contact me a month ago still nothing. Worst purchase of my life.

Edit: Customer support got back to me stating they'll extend my warranty but still have not indicated when my fridge will be fixed. They stated the part had arrived in the country. Then the next email said they were waiting for it to arrive and then the final email said it was with the technician and he would contact me but that was over a week ago.

I said that if it's going to take 4-5 months for the part then they should replace the entire fridge as I think that's fair. Especially because it was only a couple months old. No reply.

Edit 2: It has been six months and I still have issues. They replaced the door ONLY but the handle on the new door sits about an inch lower than the other side. Also as the door comes as a shell without hinges, handles etc the technician broke the upper hinge cover when replacing. Booked in for three weeks time for someone to inspect again. I'm guessing I'll have to wait another six months for parts to arrive.

Edit 3: New door is now leaking air and causing condensation to form and drip. Technician came and Fisher & Paykel still refuse to replace fridge. Has now been 7-8 months without a properly functioning fridge.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Perfect fridge for me

I only used this fridge for a couple of months and had no problems so far. I was also looking for a fridge to fit the space int he kitchen cabinetry and was pleasantly surprised to find this one. I love how it is quiet and has so much room for everything that I need to store for the family of 4.

Date PurchasedMay 2018

4 1/2 years old and already an oil and gas leak plus ongoing problems with the french doors

Firstly the technician tried to convince me that there is nothing wrong with it even though the smell is absolutely choking. He kept insisting he couldn't find anything wrong and I had to insist otherwise. Then he finally did find the gas and oil leak. The mannerism is totally lacking and professionalism can't even be mentioned! I was promised a loan fridge: that was 4 days ago. I rang Customer Service and after 45 min on hold did speak to a representative who was of no help whatsoever. Also the tiny plastic part which holds the spring for the doors keeps breaking.
All in all: totally lacking on all levels for a fridge I paid A$ 2549.00 for!! Plus I will be billed for the transport of the faulty fridge to the warehouse and back!!

Date PurchasedDec 2013

Smart design and functional fridge

I have a high regard for Fisher & Paykel appliances. When I was planning to purchase a new fridge, I immediately thought of Fisher & Paykel. I love my new fridge, it is roomy, has a stylish and smart design and is very quiet. I like the glass shelves, it is easy to store items and gives the impression of more space around the items stored.

Date PurchasedApr 2018

What colour are the LED internal control panel lights to adjust temperatures? I've just noticed that mine are red, and I thought they were normally yellow ... wondering if there's a problem, but manual doesn't tell you what colour they should be?

Where is it made?

Is the water from the dispenser chilled? My family love chilled water and I don't want to buy it if it is only filtered. Many thanks!

ActiveSmart RF522ADX5 (Stainless Steel)ActiveSmart RF522ADW5 (White)ActiveSmart RF522ADUX5 (Stainless Steel with Ice & Water)ActiveSmart RF522ADJX5 (Stainless Steel with Ice)ActiveSmart RF522ADUB5 (Black with Water)ActiveSmart RF522ADW4 (White)ActiveSmart RF522ADX4 (Stainless Steel)ActiveSmart RF522ADUSX4 (Stainless Steel with Ice & Water)ActiveSmart RF522ADUSX5 (Stainless Steel with Ice & Water)ActiveSmart RF522ADUX1 (Stainless Steel with Ice & Water)ActiveSmart RF522ADX1 (Stainless Steel)
Price (RRP) $2,699$2,499$2,499$2,799$2,799
Dimensions 1715 x 790 x 695 mm1715 x 790 x 695 mm1715 x 790 x 695 mm1715 x 790 x 695 mm1715 x 790 x 695 mm1715 x 790 x 695 mm1715 x 790 x 695 mm1715 x 790 x 695 mm1715 x 790 x 695 mm1715 x 790 x 695 mm1715 x 790 x 695 mm
Energy Rating3.5 star(s)2 star(s)3.5 star(s)3.5 star(s)3.5 star(s)2 star(s)2 star(s)2.5 star(s)2 star(s)2 star(s)2 star(s)
Household Size 4-5 people4-5 people4-5 people4-5 people4-5 people4-5 people4-5 people4-5 people4-5 people4-5 people4-5 people
FeaturesDoor Alarm and Frost FreeDoor Alarm , Frost Free and Wine RackDoor Alarm , Frost Free, Ice Dispenser, Water Dispenser and Wine RackDoor Alarm and Frost FreeDoor Alarm , Frost Free, Water Dispenser and Wine RackIce Dispenser and Water DispenserDoor Alarm , Ice Dispenser and Water DispenserDisplay Panel, Ice Dispenser and Water Dispenser
Colour / Finish EZKleen Stainless SteelWhiteEZKleen Stainless SteelStainless SteelBlackWhiteStainless SteelStainless SteelStainless SteelStainless SteelStainless Steel
Handle Type External External External External External External External External External External External
Smart Fridge NoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNo
Shelf MaterialGlassGlassGlassGlassGlassGlassGlassGlassGlassGlassGlass
Number of Shelves42344444
Number of Fruit & Vegetable Bins 22222222
Manufacturer Warranty2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)
Capacity
Total Capacity 519 L519 L519 L519 L519 L519 L519 L519 L519 L519 L519 L
Fridge Capacity 360 L360 L360 L360 L360 L360 L360 L360 L360 L360 L360 L
Freezer Capacity 159 L159 L159 L159 L159 L159 L159 L159 L159 L159 L159 L
Release dateOct 2012
Replaced byFisher & Paykel ActiveSmart RF522ADW5 (White)Fisher & Paykel ActiveSmart RF522ADX5 (Stainless Steel)Fisher & Paykel ActiveSmart RF522ADUSX4 (Stainless Steel with Ice & Water)Fisher & Paykel ActiveSmart RF522ADX4 (Stainless Steel)

Download manual