Stihl FS 45 / FS 45R / FS 45 C-E

Stihl FS 45 / FS 45R / FS 45 C-E

FS 45, FS 45 C-E and FS 45R

Disappointed

This whipper snipper is high revving and is very temperamental to start. It was purchased to replace my previous Stihl wipper snipper which I had had for many years but this one doesn't stack up to it's predecessor. It is used for my residential front and back garden and just meets my needs. I would hate to be using it in a large area.

Purchased at Beechboro Mowers for $279.00.

Noise Level
Safety
Product is used: Weekly
Grass Type Short grass

Not the bestest

My machine says that it is an FS 45 C - not sure if that's a different model to the C-E. I think that we bought it somewhere between 2007 and 2010. Either way, this is the least good weed trimmer I own. It is nearly impossible to start - and I mean like, 10 minutes of yanking at the thing. I thought that there was something wrong with it so took it back to the dealer and they serviced it and explained how to start it - face SSW exactly, do it at midnight, wear purple silken robes, that sort of thing. I read the starting guide from end to end and followed the steps with my iPad beside me. No dice, it just wouldn't start. I'm not sure how many times I've actually got it started, but when you divide them into the purchase price it's not flattering to Stihl. And it's a two stroke, so you have to mix oil with petrol etc and it's very bloody noisy. It also gets really hot, that is when it does start. So, I bought a cordless Ryobi trimmer and that was from a different planet - obviously it always starts and it's comparatively quiet. I could finish entire trimming jobs in the time that I'd still be struggling with the Stihl. I then needed something with a little more power than the Ryobi so I did what I should've done from the start, and bought a Honda straight shaft petrol line trimmer. The Honda starts either first or second pull every time, even after being in the shed for months unused. It's also a four stroke, so no mixing of oil and it's relatively quiet. So, between the Honda and the Ryobi I've now got things covered.

Date PurchasedJun 2011

Gave me a heart attack trying to start it

Had near heart attack twice trying to start it, vomited, cold sweat and palpitation. I found out later that its the purity of oil used that affects how easy or difficult it is to start it. I bought their Motomix and it started easily enough. This is a powerful cutter but heavy after using it for 10 minutes. It's also very loud and it eats the line very quickly.

Date PurchasedJul 2011

Descent machine for the price

Easy to start and runs consistently
Quick and easy to refill the head with line
I would recommend watching the you tube instructional for this
Used for small and medium sized jobs with no issues at all after more than 2 years of regular use on 5 properties ranging in size from a regular residential block and up to a half acre

Date PurchasedOct 2015

Won't start

I just had this trimmer repaired again. The diaphram was replaced after being properly stored for 6 months. I used it over three days for a toral of about 3hours and now it won't start again. I have already had it repaired three times in the last 3years and now have replaced it with an Echo RMS 225. I Will not buy another Stihl product. Have Husky chain saws that always start and run beautifully!

Date PurchasedApr 2014

Good but light duty

This trimmer starts every time and is not used often. It is perfect for a suburban lawn eg trimming horizontally around the corners the mower can't reach. It is too light duty for taking to the farm and cutting grass around the shed. It is also too light for trimming around the lawn edges in a vertical fashion. I use an edger from Mowmaster for that.

Date PurchasedJan 2012

Rock soild

After going against the advice given too me and buying a bent shaft machine over a more expensive straight shaft I am happy to say I am not disappointed with my choice this little machine just loves abuse the only problem I have ever had with it is a blocked spark arresttor which I now know is a simple fix and is something I take out regularly and clean
Yes your cannot use thicker cord as you can with a straight shaft meaning you do need to change cord more often but that is a sacrifice I made buy saving money
To all of the people who have commented on having trouble stating these shoutd stop complaining on forums and go back to the dealer ( let’s face it that’s why you buy a stilh not crap from Bunnings ) and get it serviced
I am waiting for this to explode so I can get my new straight shaft but I think that is going to be a long wait

Date PurchasedMar 2012

The new model over heats and burns your arm

I have had the FS45 model and 2 others before this new one and they worked well.
Buying the newest model was a failure. It never revs like the one I’ve had for the past 3 years. The exhaust hole is smaller and it just won’t rev in the grass.
I’ve taken it back 3 times to be told to put it to work and it will free its self up. Well all it did was heat up and burnt my arm, giving me 4 blisters. I took it back again to be informed I wasn’t using it correctly.
I’ve been using Stijl products like hedgers and chainsaws and they a very good product but to put a new model out that won’t rev to then over heat, it’s not worth purchasing the item.
If they think the exhaust hole is the problem, why did the change it ?
They still haven’t returned my money and because they won’t, I thought I’d share my disappointment.
If a product is good, why change it to disappoint the customer to then inform it’s the exhaust hole being smaller in diameter.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Absolute piece of rubbish.

From the day I bought it there was problems. Would definitely stay away from this product,Constant starting problems and goes through line like its going out of fashion. Had to buy a cheap Bunnings one and is 10x better. Unfortunately gives Stihl a bad name. ABSOLUTE RUBBISH!!! STAY AWAY FROM THIS PRODUCT

Date PurchasedJun 2017

The thing it does best is gather dust in the shed...

The Stihl is hard to start, and goes through cord like you would not believe. I got that annoyed that I bought a cheap Chinese line trimmer (Flash) yes it is called Flash. It was half the price, starts easily, runs smoothly, and I use it commercially. I will never buy another Stihl.....I bought the Stihl about March 2017 and it has done about 5 hours work. I bought the a Flash about the end of March 2017 and it would do about 8 hours per week and the only item I have replaced is the shoulder harness. it starts 2nd pull every time. Anyone want a cheap Stihl?...

Date PurchasedMar 2017

No problem in 4 years

Bought new 4 years ago. Never had any problems even cutting far north Qld grass! Pushes 2.4mm line no problems at all. Used 2.7mm (probably being a bit hard on it) and worked ok with revs up. Always used Stihl ultra 2 stroke oil and 98 octane fuel (with ultra you’ve got a fuel stabiliser do keeps fresh in tank). Only changed spark plug and air filter once. Follow manual for starting and you won’t have a problem.

Date PurchasedApr 2013

Not worth the money

Carb floods way to easy - Always a crapshoot trying to get started. If you like blisters, frustration, or the challenge of deciding if its the carb, sparkplug,spark arrestor or the quality of gas causing this equipment to never start, then this trimmer would be the right purchase. My other 2 stroke equipment has never given me any problems (craftsmen blower, echo trimmer)...There is a serious design flaw with this trimmer...

Date PurchasedJul 2012

Don't even contemplate it

I purchased this piece of crap after deciding the easy start option would be better for my shoulder and back.
It never starts easily even after following the correct convoluted procedure. 'Easy start' is a misnomer. I've just damaged my shoulder again trying to get it started.
There is nothing else about any of it that I can find positives. Paid $450 for rubbish machinery.
For the love of God do not waste money of this.

Date PurchasedSep 2016

This is ok sometimes.

Ok so this trimmer was great for a couple years. Tell it started flooding up or taking a long to start up or even get it tuned. It's ok. Just the model fs45 is not a good one. Personally ones that are 200+ are better. Because they last. They get the job done. But a good cheap one is the echos. They are good. Stihl has good ones. The fs45 has problems when you really put it the the test. Long grass. Weeds on a weekly usage level.

Date PurchasedFeb 2009

Disappointed

I thought Stihl was a good brand..... Not any more.
This model is hard to start
Chews through line
Hard to refeed
A waste of good money
Used it twice and cut my finger twice on poorly designed plastic "guard" around exhaust

I wish I had read the review before I purchased. I got this because I was over my last cheaper trimmer. This model is rubbish. Putting up on gumtree, I hope like me they don't read this review.

Shame on you Stihl! I want my money back!

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Garbage

I owned a FS 45 for almost 10 years. It was impossible to start at the best of times. Went to my local Sthil retailer and purchased a brand new Fs45. Guess what... Wouldn't start and flooded every time. Took it back, they told me I don't know how to start one even though I have had one for 10 years, they managed to start it after 10 minutes of mad pulling, the poor guy was so red in face.. Swapped it out for a honda 4 stroke... Magic... Won't buy sthil again... Save yourself the pain and frustration and just buy the 4 stroke Honda... FS45 is compete piece of garbage. Having said that the guys at Beacon Equipment were awesome and I would continue to buy from them as they sell much more than just Sthil.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

I hate this Whipper Snipper

I hate this machine, it takes longer to start than to do my garden! I plan to take this back to the Stihl dealer if they will not return my money I will drive my car over it. I was told stihl was a good brand, now I just hate them

Date PurchasedJan 2017

My FS 45

I had mine for ten years. Always used the Stihl 2 stroke oil and made fresh fuel for each use. That said, it was often frustratingly hard to start, so leave it to next week. Sometimes wanted to take it back to Stihl and "leave it". However, when it did run, it was great. (one star for starting issues and three for operational). Did find that it performed much better with 98 RON, but have been advised to use normal 91 or 95, no E10 or 98, as 98 causes the motor to run too hot (mower dealer comment).

Date PurchasedApr 2001

Its OK. A tad disappointing for a STIHL

I must say - not the happiest of buyers.

Unit chews line like no tomorrow when used to trim lawn edges along timber/concrete (2mm line is just not good enough). Autocut head will only take up to 2.4mm so there is more money to spent here to get something that will work better.

The 'Self Feed' system is an absolute joke and not worth writing about. You will frankly be turning the knob yourself and pulling line out of the head and intervals during your gardening session.

The good - its cheap, light and for all of its downfalls - When it's working as it should, it does a good job.

Keep it revving or it will bog down. Not really good enough but hey - For a few bucks more, its a STIHL that you don't have to re-mortgage the house for and its arguably still better than anything you can buy at BUNNINGS.

Final opinion - If you have to trim more than the average meterage and anything more than grass you would be better suited at looking elsewhere and in a different price bracket. This trimmer is a 'toy' when it comes to comparing it to an old STIHL or HONDA unit which you would be better off trying to track down out of some old blokes garage..

Date PurchasedJan 2016

Constantly changing the line

I have had a Stihl 45 for about 5 years....and it has NEVER worked right for me. I can't go more than two minutes without the line breaking or melting with the rest of the line. The automatic feed is a joke. It is strong and powerful. When working, it could probably cut through metal. But nothing is more frustrating than having to feed the line myself. The only reason I have kept it this long is that I am too lazy to go look at new ones....and I am kinda cheap. But a contractor from of mine told me to throw in the towel and go buy an Echo.

Date PurchasedJul 2011