Stihl FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE

FS 55 R-CE, FS 55 C-E

3.1

Jacko

JackoSouthern and Hills, SA

my gut told me to go with husqvarna, instead I went stihl. I wish I went with the husqvarna.

Purchased in November 2016 at Stihl Dealer for A$378.00.

Grass Type Short grass and Tall grass

problem with the product is the users

Great machine punches above its weight never let me down in 12 years only serviced 3 times always starts and capable of clearing heavy weed .also bought brush blade for heavy thistle

Purchased in November 2006 for A$280.00.

Product is used Daily
Grass Type Tall grass and Thick, heavy grass or weeds
johnno

johnnoSouth East Queensland, QLD

I like Stihl, but this is a dud.

I have a Stihl chainsaw which is indestructible, the whipper snipper on the other hand has been dreadful. Always hard to start, i clean or replace the carbie to no avail and it now needs a new carburetor after about 20 hours of use.

Purchased in February 2017 for A$370.00.

Grass Type Tall grass
Petrol Whipper Snippers

Find out how Stihl FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE compares to other Petrol Whipper Snippers

Very difficult to start

This product is good if it starts. Very difficult to start even in warm weather. I am not at all satisfied with this product. Think twice before you buy. It is two stroke engine.

Purchased in May 2016 for A$350.00.

Grass Type Short grass
Mike, NW Sydney

Mike, NW SydneySydney, NSW

Upgrade made the grade

This product has developed nicely in the 12 years since I’ve been running Stihl brush cutters from H&G. The base model with the bent shaft was excellent with basic maintenance, infrequently. I replaced that with this model recently. The straight shaft is easier to use. It costs a little more than bent shaft model because of the components required, (design related).
Straight shaft benefit is in getting the angle to use as an edge trimmer. Flip it over and the angle is right. A bent shaft needs to be held at an awkward angle for edge trimming duty. The auto-feed line function has improved as well (both systems work well).

Purchased in January 2020.

Grass Type Thick, heavy grass or weeds
Johnno

JohnnoSouth East Queensland, QLD

Great machines!

I'm not sure why so many negatives about this snipper. I am a commercial operator and I give these machines an absolute caning, with little or no servicing and I have two of these. Cuts well, I use only still 2.4mm line without any issues. Do take a little bit to start sometimes, harder if have been heated by use often, but nothing major. Does struggled well with initial throttling after starting, but keeps going after persistence. Auto line feed is a godsend for me as a commercial operator and it works well most of time, besides when it gets a little tangled. Never want to go back to the dreaded bump feed heads....paid $350.00 each for my two fs55's and worth every cent for the money they've earnt me in my business....

Purchased in March 2018 for A$350.00.

Product is used Daily
Grass Type Short grass, Tall grass and Thick, heavy grass or weeds

Stihl happySunshine

Great machine

Date PurchasedJan 2019
russy1

russy1Blayney

ok for the first 3 years but no good for long term heavy duty work

Was ok for the early years that i had it but damaged the conrod after 3.5 years not the right machine for a big yard of nearly 2 acres. Dealer service has always been top quality. Have replaced it with an 85 so far so good a lot better for heavy duty work

Date PurchasedAug 2014
Ted

Tedbrisbane

Disappointed, great for 2 years then useless & unfixable.

Date PurchasedOct 2016

McMatty523

McMatty523Bacchus Marsh

Couldn’t be happier

Date PurchasedFeb 2018
S.B.

S.B.Broussard

Good product

This thing works great I don’t see where all the bad reviews come from maybe it’s operator error yea sometimes it needs maintenance but all in all it’s a great trimmer I’ve had to clean out the muffler once dues tomit clogging up cleaned the carb once due to it gumming up that was my fault I really like the easy start feature barely have to pull the rope

Date PurchasedJan 2010
Maurice

Maurice

Most problematic machine i've encountered

Date PurchasedApr 2013

A good hard machine

If you replace the auto line head properly it lasts for ages, and that’s using the same stihl string it came with. No parts necessary, just fuel and oil.
It is hard to start till you work out how. (Heads up, turn it on, set the throttle with the lock, make sure you have choke on. Pump the primer 3-5 times. “Look for fuel in the bulb”, then crank it till it first fires, turn off choke, then a couple more cranks it will spit into action. Mine never fails after I worked out what it wanted to start.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017
Georgie93

Georgie93AU

A good reason never to purchase Stihl products again.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is a lemon. We had to take it back to the dealer as soon as we got it home, and they were less than sympathetic. It is impossible for me to start, and I have good upper body strength. My husband can only start it sometimes. And when it does start, it vibrates so much my hands are numb for an hour afterwards. Yes, we bought this product when it was placed on special, but surely it is reasonable to expect a basic level of product competence. If Stilh knew just how bad their product was, and I'm thinking that's why they put it on special, then it's pretty unethical of them to continue selling it to unaware customers. I note it's now discontinued. Wondering if any reviewers have heard back from Stihl?

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Don’t buy this what ever you do!!

I have had nothing but problems with this machine, it’s hard to start, line feeder is terrible.
Vibrates like hell (even though I’ve had it serviced by a Stihl dealer) stay clear of this product !! I paid $475 in 2016 thinking I’m buying a premium product, then in 2017 Stihl dropped the price to $370 !!! Why ??? Take a guess ?? I will never buy a Stihl product again....

Date PurchasedOct 2016

Don’t waste your money!

Avoid this machine! It is dreadful, truely dreadful. After owning it for 1 day I am taking it back mainly due to:
- being extremely difficult to start and when it does start it may just cut out as soon as you touch the throttle
- cuts out at random intervals and then will not start again
- feeder head chews through cord excessively

Ultimately I bought this as my first stihl producers and the product is unusable which is disappointing. I would never buy a stihl product again due to this experience.

Date PurchasedJan 2018
acerace

aceraceQld, 4521

Starting it. good luck

Have had the Stihl FS 55C for a year and a bit.The bump and run function is crap
Do not use the Stihl cutting Line (supplied). buy "JM pro diamond core" you will be stunned how good it is.Just need to trim the end that fits spool!! it outlasts the standard line 10+ times
The thing works great if you can start it .

Date PurchasedSep 2016
Doug Coleman

Doug ColemanHunter Region, NSW

Frustrating Auto Feed

If I had of known about how poor the auto feed works I would not have purchased this unit. After a few hours use I had used all the cord. I could not believe it. My older Ryobi with the bump feed would last for ages. I replaced it with an after market bump feed head ($49) and it works well....so far. I should have bought a different brand that came with the bump feed head. I've had Stihl chainsaws (pre Chinese) and other Stihl products (Family business were agents years ago) and have been more than happy but this unit has underwhelmed me.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

If it works for me, it will work for anyone

I am a bad gardener. I thrash all my tools until they fall apart. This is still going well after years of heavy use and no maintenance. This is the first petrol trimmer I have owned. Even in a Canberra winter, it starts OK. Recommended for small to medium gardens.

Date PurchasedSep 2014

ive got one my self and ive never had a problem since

iam happy with the cutting work of the machine its great and powerfull too yes i find it easy to maintain every 12 months and i do the maintance on it myself i look after it well and keep it clean aswell and the fuel that i use is moto mix

Date PurchasedAug 2015