FS 55 R-CE, FS 55 C-E
See the Best Petrol Whipper Snippers in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Stihl? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

Pros

• Simple to operate

• Suitable for intense gardening

• Product is used
  • Safety

Stihl is no longer the quality it used to be.

My FS 55 has been a pig from the get-go. It's hard to start, it cuts out, takes forever to warm up, it vibrates and the bump-stop is pathetic. I tried to take it back (under warranty) and they would only do so if I paid for the $88 service fee. I've used it about 5 to 10 times and I'm now moving on to a different brand as I can't be bothered and I may as well put the $88 towards a decent line trimmer.

Purchased in February 2018 at Stihl Dealer for $400.00.

Marco
MarcoSouth East Queensland, QLD

Brilliant quality product

Very easy to start up (read manual)People that have issues I think is user error. Very powerful and easy to use, not too heavy and it's a 2 stroke so it's gonna make some noise but I love it. Modulates throttle well and auto feed cord is a god sent! Worth every cent highly recommend this to anyone.

Purchased in March 2021 for $379.00.

Bobb09
Bobb09Gippsland, VIC

Cannot get consistent performance out of this machine.

Purchased machine just over 12 months ago after using a Kawasaki-powered Spear & Jackson for 35 trouble-free years. I find this machine noisy, vibration prone and engine speed is inconsistent and hard to regulate. I had it serviced once, after telling the vendor my problem, they suggested my fuel was too old/too dirty etc. - I have been running 2-strokes for 55 years! I find I need to limit my brush-cutting to under 40 min. these symptoms become worse thereafter and the machine is virtually unusable.

Purchased in December 2019 at Marriots for $379.00.

Petrol Whipper Snippers

Find out how Stihl FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE compares to other Petrol Whipper Snippers

Can’t see what people are complaining about. This works beautifully.

Purchased at Stihl Dealer.

JackoSouthern and Hills, SA

my gut told me to go with husqvarna, instead I went stihl. I wish I went with the husqvarna.

Purchased in November 2016 at Stihl Dealer for $378.00.

problem with the product is the users

Great machine punches above its weight never let me down in 12 years only serviced 3 times always starts and capable of clearing heavy weed .also bought brush blade for heavy thistle

Purchased in November 2006 for $280.00.

johnno
johnnoSouth East Queensland, QLD

I like Stihl, but this is a dud.

I have a Stihl chainsaw which is indestructible, the whipper snipper on the other hand has been dreadful. Always hard to start, i clean or replace the carbie to no avail and it now needs a new carburetor after about 20 hours of use.

Purchased in February 2017 for $370.00.

Very difficult to start

This product is good if it starts. Very difficult to start even in warm weather. I am not at all satisfied with this product. Think twice before you buy. It is two stroke engine.

Purchased in May 2016 for $350.00.

Mike, NW Sydney
Mike, NW SydneySydney, NSW

Upgrade made the grade

This product has developed nicely in the 12 years since I’ve been running Stihl brush cutters from H&G. The base model with the bent shaft was excellent with basic maintenance, infrequently. I replaced that with this model recently. The straight shaft is easier to use. It costs a little more than bent shaft model because of the components required, (design related).
Straight shaft benefit is in getting the angle to use as an edge trimmer. Flip it over and the angle is right. A bent shaft needs to be held at an awkward angle for edge trimming duty. The auto-feed line function has improved as well (both systems work well).

Purchased in January 2020.

Johnno
JohnnoSouth East Queensland, QLD

Great machines!

I'm not sure why so many negatives about this snipper. I am a commercial operator and I give these machines an absolute caning, with little or no servicing and I have two of these. Cuts well, I use only still 2.4mm line without any issues. Do take a little bit to start sometimes, harder if have been heated by use often, but nothing major. Does struggled well with initial throttling after starting, but keeps going after persistence. Auto line feed is a godsend for me as a commercial operator and it works well most of time, besides when it gets a little tangled. Never want to go back to the dreaded bump feed heads....paid $350.00 each for my two fs55's and worth every cent for the money they've earnt me in my business....

Purchased in March 2018 for $350.00.

Stihl happySunshine

Great machine

Date PurchasedJan 2019
russy1
russy1Blayney

ok for the first 3 years but no good for long term heavy duty work

Was ok for the early years that i had it but damaged the conrod after 3.5 years not the right machine for a big yard of nearly 2 acres. Dealer service has always been top quality. Have replaced it with an 85 so far so good a lot better for heavy duty work

Date PurchasedAug 2014
Ted
Tedbrisbane

Disappointed, great for 2 years then useless & unfixable.

Date PurchasedOct 2016
McMatty523
McMatty523Bacchus Marsh

Couldn’t be happier

Date PurchasedFeb 2018
S.B.
S.B.Broussard

Good product

This thing works great I don’t see where all the bad reviews come from maybe it’s operator error yea sometimes it needs maintenance but all in all it’s a great trimmer I’ve had to clean out the muffler once dues tomit clogging up cleaned the carb once due to it gumming up that was my fault I really like the easy start feature barely have to pull the rope

Date PurchasedJan 2010

Read more reviews - page 2

Carol sasked
FS 55 R-CE

Mine is easy to start only 6 months old but vibrates - why - seems unbalanced! How can I fix it ???

Jacko

I probably had a lemon. 2 stroke always vibrates. That's why I bought a 4 stroke now

Carol s

Thanks for your message - I think because I’m an older woman I was a sitting duck for the sales person - it’s light to handle and does start easy but it should be better!!

Sadik J.

David M.asked
FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE

Carburettor assembly

Hi David,
Sorry never had a problem with any of my gear.

See all Stihl FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE questions

Features

• The Stihl FS 55 R-CE features a loop handle, making it highly ergonomic and easy to operate.
  • The machine uses a 2-stroke engine, making it cheaper to run and able to provide the power needed for heavy duty yard work.
  • It has a quick start feature, letting you start your machine at the press of a button.
  • A straight shaft means you can easily get to high and hard-to-reach areas.
  • It costs $349, and has a 2 year warranty for some extra peace of mind that your machine will last.

Points of praise:

• Many reviewers found the whipper snipper easy to operate.
  • They also said it worked well for a variety of purposes, including more complex, heavy duty gardening.

Something to consider:

• Reviewers were divided on how easy the machine was to start - some said it was very easy to start, some said it was fairly difficult.
Compare both Stihl FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE

Engine Type2-Stroke
Engine Displacement27.2 cc
Cutting Head TypeLine
FeaturesEasy / Quick Start
Manufacturer Warranty2 year(s)2 year(s)
Compare both Stihl FS 55 C-E / FS 55 R-CE