Stihl MS 180

• Safety

Dangerous and appalling quality

Supposed to cut up to 30cm. After 3 minutes cutting the chain stretches and falls off. Completely dangerous and should not be on the market. A waste of petrol, oil and time

Purchased in May 2020.

Rob C

Rob CNortheast, VIC

Love my Stihl

Finished 3rd winter of hardwood firewood cutting. I find it easy to start. 3 pulls on choke then 1 or 2 and off it goes. I use slightly richer than 1:50 mix and alway 98O fuel. On second chain. I’ve cut logs up to around 40cms. Starting to do curved cuts but I didn’t flip the bar as frequently as I should have so a user problem rather than the machine. I’d happily buy another MH180

Purchased in January 2018 at Stihl Dealer.

So much fun to use

Love this thing can’t put it down starts every time for me so light weight and fun to use great for 6 to 8 inch stuff and makes quick work of the bigger stuff out cuts my 20 inch poulin pro no question hands down a great saw

Purchased in September 2020 for $245.00.

saltshaker78

saltshaker78Darwin, NT

Great little saw

This is my first “proper” chainsaw after wasting years with other cheap brands. The Stihl 180 mini boss is perfect for chopping small to medium sized trees and branches. I use it regularly to chop down palms. I wish it had a priming bulb to get fuel in faster but it takes 5 cranks to start every time, unless it’s hot then it starts first pull every time. Stihl is quality and this saw is a great price for what you get. Perfect for the weekend hack like me or camper who needs firewood. Get yourself this saw and a few spare chains then you are set. I recommend it completely, great little saw

Purchased in April 2019 for $299.00.

Worse chainsaw ever!

Gave Stihl a try after owning husquavarna for years. product I ever bought! The chain always comes loose and it is only made for branches and pruning! Does not always start either. Never again!

Purchased in June 2020 at Stihl Dealer for $360.00.

Chris

ChrisMurray Mallee, SA

Brilliant for a budget saw

Brilliant saw for the price tag! My ms180 get its share of abuse & neglect but starts every time & cuts anything I can throw at its 16” bar, including quite a bit of hardwood. Ideal for 6-8” logs but will cut upto 14” when the time arises. The Picco micro green safety chain is a bit disappointing being the only option in this size chainsaw bar. A great size saw for camping, yard cleanup work & pruning.

Purchased in October 2018 at Stihl Dealer for $300.00.

Igor P

Igor P

Great little machine

Bought this little chainsaw for clearing brunches on my land and I take it camping with me. It is unbelievable how much power this little thing has! No matter what you cut, small, big, hard, soft this thing just doesn't give up. Keep your chain sharp, clean the filter and turn your bar upside down every time you sharpen it, and this chainsaw will keep that smile on your face. I use this little chainsaw much more than my big one and cannot do without. Best $300 I've spent..

Purchased in April 2020 at Bolton Motorcycles for $300.00.

Mykl

MyklCairns

Excellent little saw.

Once you work out how to start it in your conditions it will run and perform for hours.
Touch up the blade every time you refuel and you'll go all day.
Great tool for the price.

Purchased for $360.00.

Michael

MichaelWide Bay-Burnett, QLD

on/off lever very bad design

got this saw from a stihl agent, it did work well cutting some firewoods and some small branches, but everytime i want to turn it off, the on/off lever just keeps on going out of its place, and the only way to turn it off is to open the plastic case and put the lever back to its place and hold it in while turning it off, this happens everytime i use it! really bad design!

Purchased in May 2018 for $300.00.

Bought from Stihl agent

Wanted a good small chain saw as my old one gave up the ghost after 30 years.
Started easily and cut well, but when I went to stop it it would not. Seams the lever comes out of it’s housing.Have taken it back twice but still jumps out,a very bad design!
Causes much angst I wish I never bought it.

Purchased in February 2020 at Stihl Dealer for $299.00.

This is horrible very bad build of a machine!

I bought this machine and they showed me how to start this machine so I started it at the store went the small tutorial to learn got home tried to start it again and still have yet to start. My junky old craftsman is looking good in comparison so at this point I'd never ever recommend this junk to anybody

Purchased for $300.00.

Robadelaide sa

Top buy

I bought my Stihl 180 years ago and being on a rural property it has had a lot of hard work. Other than a new chain now and again it has never failed to start or has ever let me down.
In a Nutshell, I would never buy any other Brand.

Craig Warne

Craig WarneMurrumbidgee Region, NSW

It has its purposes

easy to start sometimes. Other times it bites the big 1... It can flood easily at times, So you then need to pull the plug and clear the plug and chamber properly!

It's a light weight saw good for pruning mainly. If you're wanting to drop trees with it, you'll really want to use a bigger more aggressive chain!!! I ended up buying another bar the same length and a more aggressive chain half way through cutting down 3 conifers. The replacement did the work so much easier than the factory release! The original was/is really only suited to pruning work. The bar and chain upgrade was 4x more efficient at cutting trees in Fuel, Oil and Time expenditure! ;)

Purchased at local hardware store for $450.00.

Not good. Serious issue with starting.

When it runs I have not had any issues. Utilised on branches between 5cm and 15 cm but be prepared to spend more time trying to start the machine than using it.

Purchased in November 2016 at Stihl Dealer for $359.00.

tom kinkel

tom kinkelMelbourne

The best cheap chainsaw I have used

Purchased in January 2018 at Stihl Dealer for $290.00.

JAM

JAMGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Terrible saw. Even for a low end saw

7-8 hours of use. Twice to have serived. Of course warranty did nothing for me. Have used Stihl for 30 years. Last saw never had serived in 15 years. I do believe they are manufacturing these lower end saws with poor quality control, or are providing their service providers plenty of work. The saw is good enough for very small green logs, until the fuel line clogs...

Purchased in July 2017 for $300.00.

angie

angieperth

Good saw - when it works

Started easily when I first brought it home a few days ago. I worked it then for about 20 minutes. Ever since the saw has refused to start despite what i tried. It goes back to the dealer next week.

Purchased in July 2019 for $299.00.

Peter Griffin

Peter GriffinSouth West, WA

Great little saw

Purchased in June 2019 for $299.00.

Pat D

Pat D

Junk .. but not as bad as other Stihl products I have bought

Worked well for the first 3 months (4 to 5 hours use) then became difficult to start. Often spent 10-15 minutes to start. BTW I always used the expensive Stihl fuel. Took it to the dealership, they found no problem. Worked well again for 3 weeks (maybe 2 hours) then the starting issue came back.

Purchased in May 2017 for $249.00.

Ree

ReeHunter Region, NSW

Perfect for the little jobs and great for camping

I’ve had this saw for 16 years and it has cut more timber than I can remember. A great little saw. It has only just started give some problems when running hot e.g stalls and won’t run full throttle. But after 16yrs it has certainly earned it keep. It has been used to cut small to midsize trees. The 16inch bar has been replaced once and about 6 chains have been used in this period. I would recommend this little saw, I have updated to a MS 211 and I hope it performs to the same standards.

Purchased in March 2003 for $300.00.