Stihl MS 180

See the Best Petrol Chainsaws in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

• Incentivised Review Yes (0%) · No (100%)
  • Safety

JAMGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Terrible saw. Even for a low end saw

7-8 hours of use. Twice to have serived. Of course warranty did nothing for me. Have used Stihl for 30 years. Last saw never had serived in 15 years. I do believe they are manufacturing these lower end saws with poor quality control, or are providing their service providers plenty of work. The saw is good enough for very small green logs, until the fuel line clogs...

Purchased in July 2017 for $300.00.

angieperth

Good saw - when it works

Started easily when I first brought it home a few days ago. I worked it then for about 20 minutes. Ever since the saw has refused to start despite what i tried. It goes back to the dealer next week.

Purchased in July 2019 for $299.00.

Peter Griffin

Peter GriffinSouth West, WA

Great little saw

Purchased in June 2019 for $299.00.

Pat D

Pat D

Junk .. but not as bad as other Stihl products I have bought

Worked well for the first 3 months (4 to 5 hours use) then became difficult to start. Often spent 10-15 minutes to start. BTW I always used the expensive Stihl fuel. Took it to the dealership, they found no problem. Worked well again for 3 weeks (maybe 2 hours) then the starting issue came back.

Purchased in May 2017 for $249.00.

Ree

ReeHunter Region, NSW

Perfect for the little jobs and great for camping

I’ve had this saw for 16 years and it has cut more timber than I can remember. A great little saw. It has only just started give some problems when running hot e.g stalls and won’t run full throttle. But after 16yrs it has certainly earned it keep. It has been used to cut small to midsize trees. The 16inch bar has been replaced once and about 6 chains have been used in this period. I would recommend this little saw, I have updated to a MS 211 and I hope it performs to the same standards.

Purchased in March 2003 for $300.00.

saltshaker78

saltshaker78Darwin, NT

Great little chainsaw

This is my first Stihl chainsaw and I’m not disappointed. I’ve dabbled in cheap and nasty saws from China but I thought I’d buy one from an industry leading company. It is light, starts well for a 2 stroke and sounds awesome. I use it for small to medium sized trees and branches round the yard. Keep the chain sharp and it won’t bog down in power. Great for chopping up firewood camping...

Purchased in June 2017 for $299.00.

vadi

vadiSoutheast, SA

Very disappointing

Very difficult to start. In 2 years it has been back to the workshop 4 times. Underpowered and chokes on anything thicker than a few centimetres. Very unreliable. I have had other Stihl products which have been fine, and the underperformance/unreliability of this disappointing machine is surprising.

Purchased in April 2017.

Dodge

DodgeSouth East Queensland, QLD

Easy to use.

After buying a couple of Chinese models and working hard to keep them running and their pieces together I almost gave up. I am too busy to repair and read chainsaw manuals. But with my stihl MS180 I have had no issues after two years use. I have cut large logs and all sorts of things. Easy to maintain and starts every time. It will be one little machine that will pay for itself.

Purchased in January 2017.

Tana

TanaMaitland

Gutless

I bought this because I had a good run out of my 009 for 20 or so years and I wish now that I just had it repaired. Even after 20 years my old one out performed the new MS180. This new saw is hard to start and when it does it is gutless. It bogs down into even the smallest logs. Did I mention it was gutless? Even when I bought this piece of junk the Stihl shop told me that I would only get a 5 year warranty if I bought the Stihl 2 stroke oil and chain oil to go with it. What a rort. Being told this should have put me off. I will NEVER buy another Stihl product ever again. Will go with a real saw like a Shindiawa or Echo next time.

Date PurchasedApr 2016

Leaks oil till empty

Kept taking it back because of chain lubricate completely self draining out. Then ran out of warranty and needed new oil pump, thought the problem would be now resolved. No_ still leaking oil, don't touch this model or brand. Maybe just find a good dealer!!!kept being told it was normal!

Date PurchasedSep 2014

Blew up after minimal use

used sparingly over an 18 month period, then stopped working, the Stihl agent blamed the fuel and would not honour the warranty although other machines working fine on same fuel, have since heard the "bad fuel" excuse is a popular one with Stihl. Will try Husqvarna next time, hopefully with better results

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Seriously hard to start

Tried to use it 3 times. Found it was easier to cut trees down with a machete than trying to start chainsaw. When finally started after letting sit for periods of 30 minutes because it seems to flood on the first start attempt, it also overheats very quickly. Never again Stihl.

Date PurchasedSep 2018

Rusty Lee

Rusty LeeNew South Wales, 2323

Poor replacemennt for a 009

I bought this to replace my 25 year old 009 rater than repair the old one. How I wish I did not choose to do that. Unlike the old legend thiis piece of SH is hard to start. It is GUTLESS. I used to saw through 12 inch logs with my 009 with relative ease. This pile of crap is lucky to go through 8 inch branches without stalling. I got this machine for just under 400 dollars and at the same time I bought a chinese ebay saw which runs rings around this thing and I only paid 100 dollars for that. Will never buy Stihl again. What used to be a good thing has now turned to SHt

Date PurchasedMar 2016

Chris Faulkner

Chris Faulknerchilders

Frustrating

I bought this chainsaw because my old 009 model worked so well for 20 years.
The problem with this saw is its poor starting, the book info is NOT CORRECT, it will flood and then you have to take out the plug to clear the excess fuel.
My Son rang Stihl in the U.S. to try and help me out, When he told them the model they said "Ah the temperamental one".
That's it in a nutshell.
To be fair, when the saw is running it works really well, I can't fault it in that respect.
My 20 year old 009 starts easier than my new MS 180....

Date PurchasedFeb 2018
Rikishea

RikisheaPyengana

Better than u might think

I’ve owned a few stihl saws now. The 009, the ms-181, now this one , the ms-180. Both previous saws have been pretty reliable for the price. This model has the 16 inch bar, and cuts firewood and some larger obstacles fairly well. I only use it for small to medium tasks.
Usually I get 4-5 years out of these cheaper models before they pack it in. I don’t think the unprofessional range saws like these are made like the use to be, but they are easier to clean. They retail for around 299$. Hopefully it will continue to perform as it should without the starting issues other reviewers have mentioned.

Date PurchasedMar 2018
Robbo

Robbo

Great little workhorse for it size.

Date PurchasedMay 2016

Stuart G. Australia

Stuart G. AustraliaCanberra, ACT.

I thought I had purchased a dud BUT it’s an awesome saw when you know how.

Date PurchasedJul 2018

Chris

ChrisCoffs harbour

Excellent saw can not fault it

As stated 4 pulls (splutter), half choke 1 pull and fires straight up when cold and once warm 1 pull only ever. Option for another chain on purchase as will come in handy or it does for me as i cut Aus hardwood around 10" and 12" logs and get around 3-4 tanks before sawdust gets a little fine and o need to change chains. I take my chains to my stihl dealer to sharpen and he always says id get a little more out of the chain sharpness but i feel its saving the little saw as its doing a beast of a job with a little 16" bar as a backup to my Ms311. Watch the bar oil reservoir though they do run out quick on them around two bar oil fill's to one tank fuel.......

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Alby

Alby

Best little saw

Great little saw, easiest to start in the world. Stihl make the best chainsaws in the world, German quality. Most of these bad reviews are obviously from beginners. Full choke, 4 pulls until it splutters, then half choke till she starts. Even if it doesn't splutter on full choke, go to half choke. Great little chainsaw.

Date PurchasedMay 2018

piece of garbage

Hardly use it because it won't start .I live 250 klm from a dealer so can't take it back when it doesn't start.I've rang the dealer and as usual he tells me I've flooded it.So Mr Stihl tell me how to start the piece of trash without flooding it Will never buy another stihl product again.PS I've also got a Stihl FS55 whipper snipper which I purchased at the same time that also dose not want to start.

Date PurchasedSep 2017