Stihl MS 180
See the Best Petrol Chainsaws in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Stihl? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

• Safety
Sammy
SammyVictoria

Fantastic saw, great value

Had my MS180 for 12 months now with use (or should that be abuse) nearly every weekend clearing paddocks, felling and cutting up trees around 300mm-400mm diameter and it hasn't missed a beat. I've used all Stihl bar oil and 2-stroke oil at the recommended 50:1 and it takes all the punishment I give it. Using the correct starting procedure it starts first or 2nd pull after the choke stage. I keep the chains sharp and strip and clean it after every weekends use. Cannot recommend this saw highly enough. I'm upgrading to a bigger Stihl MS500i or MS391 soon but the 180 will always be thrown in the ute aswell! 5 stars!

Purchased in June 2020.

Vaughn J.
Vaughn J.Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Disappointing all round

Purchased in January 2021 for $300.00.

Melb Man
Melb ManGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Fantastic saw

Just purchased my first Stihl to go wood gathering. The ms180 is brilliant, I was cutting logs around 60cm like butter I could not recommend it highly enough. I can see how people complain about the chain, but all chainsaws lose tension after using for a while.

Purchased in April 2021 at Mitre 10 for $299.00.

stephan g.
stephan g.Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

No problems, owned for 7 years.

Never had a drama starting, runs high rpm for long times with out skipping a beat.

To those who say it's hard to start, the carby may just need to be jetted for the altitude you live in.

Purchased in May 2014 for $400.00.

Dangerous and appalling quality

Supposed to cut up to 30cm. After 3 minutes cutting the chain stretches and falls off. Completely dangerous and should not be on the market. A waste of petrol, oil and time

Purchased in May 2020.

Rob C
Rob CNortheast, VIC

Love my Stihl

Finished 3rd winter of hardwood firewood cutting. I find it easy to start. 3 pulls on choke then 1 or 2 and off it goes. I use slightly richer than 1:50 mix and alway 98O fuel. On second chain. I’ve cut logs up to around 40cms. Starting to do curved cuts but I didn’t flip the bar as frequently as I should have so a user problem rather than the machine. I’d happily buy another MH180

Purchased in January 2018 at Stihl Dealer.

So much fun to use

Love this thing can’t put it down starts every time for me so light weight and fun to use great for 6 to 8 inch stuff and makes quick work of the bigger stuff out cuts my 20 inch poulin pro no question hands down a great saw

Purchased in September 2020 for $245.00.

saltshaker78
saltshaker78Darwin, NT

Great little saw

This is my first “proper” chainsaw after wasting years with other cheap brands. The Stihl 180 mini boss is perfect for chopping small to medium sized trees and branches. I use it regularly to chop down palms. I wish it had a priming bulb to get fuel in faster but it takes 5 cranks to start every time, unless it’s hot then it starts first pull every time. Stihl is quality and this saw is a great price for what you get. Perfect for the weekend hack like me or camper who needs firewood. Get yourself this saw and a few spare chains then you are set. I recommend it completely, great little saw

Purchased in April 2019 for $299.00.

Worse chainsaw ever!

Gave Stihl a try after owning husquavarna for years. product I ever bought! The chain always comes loose and it is only made for branches and pruning! Does not always start either. Never again!

Purchased in June 2020 at Stihl Dealer for $360.00.

Chris
ChrisMurray Mallee, SA

Brilliant for a budget saw

Brilliant saw for the price tag! My ms180 get its share of abuse & neglect but starts every time & cuts anything I can throw at its 16” bar, including quite a bit of hardwood. Ideal for 6-8” logs but will cut upto 14” when the time arises. The Picco micro green safety chain is a bit disappointing being the only option in this size chainsaw bar. A great size saw for camping, yard cleanup work & pruning.

Purchased in October 2018 at Stihl Dealer for $300.00.

Igor P
Igor P

Great little machine

Bought this little chainsaw for clearing brunches on my land and I take it camping with me. It is unbelievable how much power this little thing has! No matter what you cut, small, big, hard, soft this thing just doesn't give up. Keep your chain sharp, clean the filter and turn your bar upside down every time you sharpen it, and this chainsaw will keep that smile on your face. I use this little chainsaw much more than my big one and cannot do without. Best $300 I've spent..

Purchased in April 2020 at Bolton Motorcycles for $300.00.

Mykl
MyklCairns

Excellent little saw.

Once you work out how to start it in your conditions it will run and perform for hours.
Touch up the blade every time you refuel and you'll go all day.
Great tool for the price.

Purchased for $360.00.

Michael
MichaelWide Bay-Burnett, QLD

on/off lever very bad design

got this saw from a stihl agent, it did work well cutting some firewoods and some small branches, but everytime i want to turn it off, the on/off lever just keeps on going out of its place, and the only way to turn it off is to open the plastic case and put the lever back to its place and hold it in while turning it off, this happens everytime i use it! really bad design!

Purchased in May 2018 for $300.00.

Bought from Stihl agent

Wanted a good small chain saw as my old one gave up the ghost after 30 years.
Started easily and cut well, but when I went to stop it it would not. Seams the lever comes out of it’s housing.Have taken it back twice but still jumps out,a very bad design!
Causes much angst I wish I never bought it.

Purchased in February 2020 at Stihl Dealer for $299.00.

This is horrible very bad build of a machine!

I bought this machine and they showed me how to start this machine so I started it at the store went the small tutorial to learn got home tried to start it again and still have yet to start. My junky old craftsman is looking good in comparison so at this point I'd never ever recommend this junk to anybody

Purchased for $300.00.

Read more reviews - page 2

Buck
Buckasked
MS 180

Has anyone but me had trouble with chains stretching so much can not tighten them on ms 180 and didnt do a lot cutting either ?Have gone through 3 chains and they aint even half worn out. My old 025 stihl saw could run the chain until wasnt any thing left to sharpen and never stretched to the point I couldnt tighten it.

Graeme2900
Graeme2900

I have used a lot of different chainsaws including MS180 and I have found 2 things about chains
1. They will stretch if blunt and can quickly lose their edge if allowed to cut on dirt or dirty timber.
2. Cheap chains stretch very quickly always use good brands like Stihl, Carlton, GB, Husqvarna & Oregon

Ben A.asked

Hi,
I’m looking at getting a saw for general household use, but also want to cut some slabs from some 500mm diameter hardwood as a one-off.
Will the 180 be up to the task if the time taken isn’t an issue?

Mudman
Mudman

It won't cut slabs Ben. It'll cut cookies off the end with a bit of practice and a sharp chain, but It'll bog down on slabs.

Thanks very much!

Michael P.
Michael P.asked
MS 180

What is winter and summer shutter?

Rob
Rob

Never heard of it..can only assume choke when cold and no choke when hot..
I asked at dealers and he didn't know..

Robin Y.
Robin Y.

Icing of the The carburettor can happen below about 50°F. There is a sliding shutter between the carby and the head. It can be left open over 50° but is suggested if you drink below that that you have that shut it closed. It is a little vertical slide.

Richard S.
Richard S.

Had my stihl 180 since 2002
Still a great garden saw , starts ok , when you know how
Oil pump half working, but still cuts fine, considering it is nearly 19 years old.
My universal chain saw!

FeaturesAnti-Vibration System and Tool-free Chain Tensioning
Weight4.1 kg
Engine Displacement31.8 cc
Fuel Tank Capacity250 mL
Manufacturer Warranty2 year(s)2 year(s)
Release dateMar 2008