Stihl MS 311 Farm Boss

Stihl MS 311 Farm Boss

See the Best Petrol Chainsaws in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

• Incentivised Review Yes (0%) · No (100%)
  • Safety

MS 311 Farm Toss

Purchased in October 2017 for $900.00.

Safety

Colin

ColinMurray Region, NSW

Absolute crapp

I bought in early 2017 ran for 3_4 months with only light work started overheating took back to Mansfield sthil dealer not covered under warranty as suspected fuel mix [what crap] had saw cylinder and piston replaced at my cost $800 fix. Used for 2maybe 3 loads of wood then seized
Took back to dealer same thing suspected wrong fuel mix no warranty.. Never ever buy a sthil product again lost me...

Purchased in April 2017 for $1,800.00.

$1200 of rubbish

Very hard to start now won't start only used twice can't believe it payed $1200 for this crap will never recommend or buy stihl products again I've also got an old stihl 510 about 40 years old never had a problem prefer to use that stihl don't make them like they use to may as well get the Chinese to make them

Purchased in March 2018 for $1,200.00.

Safety
Grant Russell

Grant RussellAlbany, Western Australia

DONT BUY THIS

Did the job for the first few hours then started overheating. took back to dealer and was told the recommended 25:1 was not good for this model had to run it as rich as possible. Fell apart seals disintegrated while cutting dust entered and then ceased after 30 hours, was a very expensive lesson in what not to buy.

Date PurchasedMar 2016

Overrated Saw

Great saw when going but doesn't go often enough. Dealer and spare parts support is absolutely disgraceful. Once they sell you the saw and you return with a problem they don't want to know you. Parts are never available, repair times cant be quoted, they don't know because they don't know if they can get parts or not. Will never buy another Stihl Chainsaw again and probably will never buy a Stihl product ever.

Date PurchasedJun 2016

evilsmurf

evilsmurfAdelaide

certainly not a pro saw

spat the plug clean out of the head under full noise, not overly used, mainly for felling or sectioning larger rounds, sent back under warranty which was not honored

for a 14 month old machine that cost $2000 I would have expected it to last a hell of a lot longer

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Chris

ChrisCoffs harbour

Great all rounder

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Amazing saw!

I have owned husy's,jonsonreds,and several other top dollar saws this saw is amazing my grandfather bought it from a friend and its quite old but i love it.i cut wood burls and they are really hard.This stihl runs through it. I use air compressor to blow it out after and its perfect.for these people that wrote bad reveiws buy a poulan and a box of kleenex. Cause you obviously do not know what your doing. If the saw dis run you would probably hurt yourselfs.lol amazing saw wouldnt trade it for anything else.

Date PurchasedAug 2000

Worst saw I ever used. Nothing but problems with no dealer backup. Quality just not there. They don’

Date PurchasedFeb 2014
Jack

JackMelbourne

Fantasic saw

Recently upgraded from a ms170 (owned for 5 years without an issue) to a ms 311. So far a fantasic saw, had it out on a few occasions, it starts easy even without using the decomp button, reliable and has plenty of power. Would recommend as a good all rounder.

Date PurchasedAug 2017

Dingo

DingoBunbury

This was far from the expectations that was offered.

Date PurchasedMay 2015

Worst saw ever

Date PurchasedJun 2016

Excellent chain saw!

It is very easy to start once you figure it out,pops off every time like clock work and once warm....one pull every time. It has very good power and I'm running a 20" bar. Love It! quite baffeled with some of the negative responses???? ripped into some old very hard red oak last year, outdid my buddies comparable Husky. Again couldn't be happier. I run none oxy 91 and Steels top of line oil, never even changed plug yet.

Date PurchasedJul 2011

Solid all round saw

Not a bad saw until you roll a 1000lb log over it. Sounds like all the start issues you guys complain about is failure of your local dealer jetting the carburetor for right altitude. I live at 9k feet saw runs great up to 11k so far. But have to say after I destroy saw has never ran the same and getting replacement parts takes ions for Stihl dealers. Has bean a year and still not right from my accident. Parts should not take 3 or more months to get to a authorized dealer

Date PurchasedJun 2015

stilh 311

i have a311 as well runs like a dream, would not be without it. works all day long. like l said , if you look after them ,they do the jod really well, for a average saw i reckon they are the best in they range bye a stilh any dayRon

Date PurchasedApr 2014

RonGeelong

311 is perfect chainsaw for the average wood cutter

Date PurchasedAug 2014

Big problem

My problem with this and all the other Stihl saws, trimmers, and blowers I have is they won't give me a little bit of a break. Every other brand I've owned gave me a break every 30 minutes or so... Usually the break last an hour or more, but no such luck with these. Another problem I've had is replacing fuel caps because of the alcohol blended gases nowadays. I also have one that has been giving me problems and its only 15 years old, I had to spend all kinds of money to buy a plug, filter, and fuel lines.

Date PurchasedAug 2015

Absolutely fantastic chainsaw! Cannot fault it.

I am staggered at some of the negative comments here. I wonder how much is operator error?? The 311 is a fantastic mid-range chainsaw. If you learn to operate it properly, use a good quality 2-stroke oil, and do a little basic maintenance on it to keep it (and the air filter) clean, it will give you years of powerful trouble-free operation. I've had mine for over 5 years and have never had it back at a dealer. I have never had a problem starting it - just follow the same basic procedure every time. I have other Stihl products and I would rate them all as good.

Date PurchasedAug 2011

NickVictoria, 3691

Great saw.

Chris Wingate

Chris Wingate

Total design flaw piece of crap

Ray H.

Ray H.asked

I have what year were they first bought out

Poorbuildquality
Poorbuildquality

2009 I believe, it has been plagued with issues. Really poor build just read thread.

Danny Dawson

Danny Dawsonasked

can you go from 20 inch to 24 inch bar?

tommyd

tommydasked

I have a stihl 311 that I just got. After I run 1 tankful of gas through it, I then start to have a problem where it stalls out when idling, or even when I am cutting. Once I let it sit for a day- it runs fine. Does anybody know what the issue is and is there a good fix for it?

Nick

Sounds flooded. I've had this same thing once. I took it back to the dealer and I think what they did, was with 2 people, one person held the throttle in and set it to start, while the other pulled the start cord maybe 10 times to clear it. Then it started. Haven't had it flood since. Might work for you.

Actually someone else in this thread said:
(tie throttle wide open, do not use any choke at all, just turn to "I" (on) and give it a few pulls)

I found it interesting that the manual only suggested taking out the spark plugs and clearing the gap as a solution to a non-starting saw. I could not find a reference to starting a flooded carb.

Lesson is : never use the choke or half-choke if the engine has been used in last 12 hours or so.

Get an answer from our members and Stihl representatives