Stihl MS 390 / MS 391 Farm Boss

391 FarmBoss, MS 390

3.0

• Safety

Richard D.South Australia

Used and abused for 20 years.

Purchased in June 2000 for A$899.00.

Gary F.

Gary F.Western Australia

Rubbish saw.

Dont buy one. 10 hours use from new and now has a scored piston and barrel. Stihl australia says there was saw dust in air filter so no warranty. Been chopping wood for 30 plus years and never a problem. 1500 bucks worth of crap. Just purchased a 455 husqvana. Shame on you stihl

Purchased in March 2017 for A$1,500.00.

CHRISGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Rubbish product

I have had Stihl saws for over 30 years , this model over heated after 1 hour use , I only cut personal firewood during the Autum months. probably had only 100 hrs total use. I did some checking after the repair shop gave me the bad news, this Model has a design flaw , with loose gates on the bearings ,This model was recalled in the USA. I have read a lot of reports of these expensive saws failing.

something should be done , class action!

Rj W.

Rj W.South West, WA

what a lemon !!!!!

had a old 029 for many years,[18 at least!] ,rugged reliable,great saw.,but it was getting a bit long in the tooth. my good wife decided i deserved a new one for my birthday. purchased a m s 391 along with stihl engine oil which gave me a extra 2 year warranty .[lol].it seemed ok ,but the bar wear was surprising.after 4 months it blew a hole in piston . neither the agent or stihl aust., wanted to know ,as i had obviously ,used the wrong fuel mix ,used old fuel,or flogged it.all of which is complete nonsense. have reverted to my older , smaller Victa pro ,using the same fuel mix ,cutting the same fence posts ,no problem,.Comment anyone? Class action ??

Sean K

Sean KMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

MS-390 v 391 AKA mine v Parkers (stars Reflect 391)

Gary F.

Gary F.Western Australia

Useless chainsaw and hopeless warranty

Purchased at Midland stihl for A$1,400.00.

Nicko

Nicko

391 is a Dud

Purchased new, used about 10 hours over a three year period. Always used Stihl oil and mix rate of 50-1, and never over worked. It died cutting stringybark. Pulled apart, bearings totally failed, major scores on the piston and bore. I’d say the crank is shot as well. Cost $1,100 new and now a piece of junk. Don’t want to throw good money away fixing it as more than likely it will fail again. Stihl have blotted there copy book with me that’s for sure!
Note have a little MS 170, done twice the work and runs like a dream ...

Purchased in June 2017 for A$1,100.00.

Max M.

Max M.Northeast, VIC

Absolute Rubbish

Purchased in February 2019 for A$1,399.00.

GJL

GJLSouthern and Hills, SA

Don’t believe the ads!

Farmboss died after <100 hrs.
I’ve always considered stihl a high quality brand but I’m done now. Bought this saw because advertised as having the grunt and longevity for farm work. Had it for 5 years, used it sparingly, wrapped it in cotton wool and the dealer said engine is done and you’ll need a new one. Would have been cheaper to buy wood for 5 years. It stihl looks new.... sorry couldn’t help myself.
So much for the “pulling the 20 year old stihl out of the shed and it starts first time” crap they dribble.

Purchased in January 2014 for A$1,300.00.

ddjac

ddjac

Junk - Very Disappointed

Purchased in May 2015 at Stihl Dealer for A$1,399.00.

MS390 GET ONE IF YOU CAN, EVEN SECOND HAND ! BEST EVER

Got my MS390 5 years ago, been cutting Australian Hardwood to fuel our furnace which heats a large Queenslander home. We get down to minus 11c in winter outside. This saw has not missed a beat and we go through a lot of wood! My wife likes the house very, very warm. Would not swop this saw for a new model, just replace anything that needs it. Keep up the oil. Mods done, Polish the ports & open up the muffler and "super tuned" (google it). Run a full chisel teeth and keep them sharp. If you can persuade someone to sell you one second hand, grab it with both hands.

Purchased in January 2014 at private seller for A$600.00.

txm194

txm194

Perfect Saw

I have owned Stihl for over 30 years, I purchased my Farm Boss about 3 years ago, I keep it in a unheated Barn in sub zero Pocono Mountain weather. It always starts easily and is one of the best cutting saws I have ever used. The only thing I do special with this saw is I use the pre-mixed fuel Stihl fuel.

Purchased in May 2016.

Safety

Stihl chainsaw is a disgrace

I bought a Stihl chainsaw 3 years ago. Didn't use it much because I didn't have time. Now I'm retired and have trees that need cut. Got it out of my climate controlled garage, and the housing cracked when I started to use it. Bar oil just runs out of it. Took it to dealer to find out the housing costs as much as the saw did. I haven't cut 2 chords of wood with it. It is junk. I will never buy a Stihl product. This saw is very disappointing.

Purchased in August 2016 at Stihl Dealer for A$399.00.

Blown engine

Probably got 10-15 hrs of use out of it. Didn’t use it much but it’s still barely out of warranty. Really like my ms290 but obviously quality has dipped dramatically.

Purchased in March 2018 for A$600.00.

STIHL 391

Don't buy Stihl , I bought a stihl MS250 for $695 and motor died after 4 months ( or 10 medium tress cuts) . Stihl dealer said we didnt mixed enough oil and refused to pay the repair motor cost of $475, But we always mixed 100 per 5L. We bought the MS391 while we waiting for the dispute. Buy after few days use, the MS391 wont stop now we have to bring it back to repair. SO DO NOT buy STIHL produsts, waste time
Annie from New Zealand

Purchased in February 2019 for A$1,295.00.

Theo

TheoBrisbane

don't buy 391, no back up and Stihl blame operator

I have owned many chainsaws over last 25 years through our hardwood timber biz, recently bought 3 units 391 and 1st unit lasted 4 weeks when compression died and can see a hole in piston after spark plug removed. all 3 units are not working with same problem, usage is moderate and maintained. enough power but no reliability and Stihl will not support unless we pay money to repair. very poor form. Careful what you buy and as newer Stihl saws too many electrics and lighter wight, not as robust. using my 20 year old 268 Husky rather than 391 with latest features but no performance. by the way my 18 month old 381 is running well!!

Date PurchasedMay 2018

Fantastic saw

Owned my 390 since 2008 it’s always started and cut over 100 ton of hardwood , jarra, stringy bark yellow box iron wood black wood white gum
It’s always started you have to follow the procedure
Choke on pull till it has the first fire then flick the choke to fast idle put chain break on then it starts flick the accelerator and it idles
I always clean the air filter and measure my oil with a measuring cup to 5 litres of petrol
After use I always take the bar off and clean with compressed air I run a file across the teeth at 30-35 degrees to sharpen only 2 passes needed
I've never taken it in to a dealer iv changed the plug once in 10 years
I just cut 10 ton of wood this week thought how good this saw is !!!

Date PurchasedJun 2008
Scottn

ScottnBoxford

Good saw if only it would run all the time (2)

Date PurchasedApr 2018

Good when going but hard to start and died early

Bought the farm boss to cut blanks for turning and slab cutting for furniture. Had a fair bit of work clearing fallen trees after recent cyclone and some cuts of a full tank at a time doing slabs. After 11 months and about 20 hrs work it upped and died. Always used 40 to 1 mix but it had lost power and stopped 10 min into a slab cut,never to go again. Dealer says I cooked it but I would expect it to cope with long cuts at high revs. No fouling of air vents or other contributing factors. Starting always a bit of an issue. Never less than 6-8 pulls and often flooded and needed a rest

Date PurchasedJul 2017
Jim

JimWasleys

Great chsinsaw

Husband very happy, wish we had bought one 20 years ago. Slices through sugar gum like butter, makes the job so much easier. Light to hold and to maneuvers. Received a free chain with it , so wuite a bargain. Wishes he hasn't wasted his time with inferior brands & got one of these years ago

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Leroyasked

What size bar to suit ms 390

What size bar suit’s ams 390

Richard D.

16" - 24" standard range. The standard 20" seems to work best for general use, coping with full depth cuts in Australian hardwoods but you know you are using all of the blade... They might bog down a bit if you try to fit 24" and that is the largest recommended bar length - good for soft woods at that length, but probably not for ironbark... Anything bigger you probably want to consider a skip tooth chain.

JNichi

JNichiasked

MS 390 / MS 391 Farm Boss

Is the 390 a better saw than 391 to buy second hand.can I run a 24 in chain on it?

CHRIS

I would not recommend these saws to anyone, have a look at all the reviews, and by just this site.

The comparison in experiences between the 390 compared to the 391(model to replace the 390) is like compairing cheese and chalk.

The 390 is a workhorse but the 391 is a dud !

Seek out a trusty 390 and do a rebuild (after market parts, not genuine) yourself. It is a great way to learn about your saw and make it your 'best mate'. Shop around for the parts and check the reviews on the parts and finish quality. Be prepared to do some cleaning up with a 'dremmel' to port and polish and give a good clean up.

If the bore is overly smooth (mirror finish) run some honing stones with plenty of oil to refinish the bore.

Recommend considering the pop top (raised top) piston.

Increase the fuel 1/4 turn as your new mate will be working harder and this will help to minimise overheating. Google 'super tuning' for chainsaws

Take the time and enjoy the journey.

Paul Martinoasked

what price for Stihl Chainsaw Model MS391 FARMBOSS with 16" bar

Do not waste your money on a MS391,
Only recommend a MS390, be patient and shop around. They do not often come up for sale but are worth the wait.

Paul Martino

Thanks for your advice Peter but I purchased one some months ago.
Kind regards,