Sunbeam Bakehouse BM4500

Sunbeam Bakehouse BM4500

MPN: 35902763

One Design Flaw

This makes awesome bread. It's a great machine, best of those I have had. However there is one rather large design flaw. The kneading blade is loose, and often comes up off the shaft slightly when first kneading, this can be hard to see, but what happens is the shaft rotates, but of course the blade doesn't, and you end up with a small, dense loaf. I have tried all sorts, including replacements, but the same thing happens, packing it with foil etc but none work. It needs a clip or some such. As I say design flaw and of course a rather major one. It's the entire point of a machine, the kneading. Zero response from NZ Sunbeam about it, they don't bother responding to customers over here.

Purchased in April 2018.

Noise Level
Bread Quality & Consistency
Hi Pctek, Thank you for contacting Sunbeam and for the feed back. It will be passed on. Can you please email us at customercare@sunbeam.com.au with your address details and your purchase receipt.Why? I already emailed you BEFORE I posted this. You didn't respond. As I said, it's a design flaw, so what are you going to do about it? Send me another pan or machine? Been there, done that.

Not worth the hype

After quite a bit of excitement over the purchase of this bread machine, I was disappointed to find my bread containing numerous specks of what seemed like black element. The black coating of the bottom of the bread tin had been scraped by the rotating blades during the mixing stage. After ensuring the blades were secured in the correct position, I can conclude that the blades were faulty. Not only would this black coating be unpleasant to consume, but it is unsafe due to the synthetic chemical properties it contains. This left me with no option but to discard the bread which had undergone processing for quite a while. After the second attempt at baking a loaf of white bread, the same issue occurred. After consuming a small and clean section of the bread, I found the texture to be quite firm unlike the texture of loaves purchased from the bakery or supermarket. The product also consumes a large amount of electricity seeing that it requires a running time of about three hours, depending of the type of bread that is made. I believe this product was not worth the hype and hope everyone else who purchases it has a better experience than I did. Will not be purchasing this product again.

Date PurchasedOct 2018
Hi Amy, So sorry to hear. Hope you took the Breadmaker back if the blade was not sitting correctly and we will pass on your feedback to the team...

A bit disappointing

While I have had nothing but success with my machine, my son recently purchased one of his own. He has had more failures than successes & is very disappointed with the product. He has used the recipes in the included book as well as packaged mixes. He is going to return it for a refund as he is definitely not happy with it.

Date PurchasedAug 2018

Good machine, not enough info in the booklet

I've made 3 loaves so far (2 of them fruit loaf, and none of them contained milk powder: note to Sunbeam; why milk powder and why not include a recipe tip for substitution? I had to turn to Google for guidance on subbing milk powder..... Please don't assume every human on the planet is willing to use breast milk in their food!) and have been happy with the results so far.
The only complaint I have is that the booklet that contains the user guidance and recipes, does not include any info on the mixing/baking cycles.
For example: I'm attempting a plain wholemeal loaf right now (menu 3) and the ingredients have been in the machine for half an hour so far, but no mixing has occurred whatsoever.
So is this part of the cycle or not? I don't know because such a scenario isn't mentioned in the troubleshooting, and there's no guidance included on what behavior each menu cycle consists of so I also cannot cross check the machine behaviors with the expected cycle behaviors.
I have a feeling the machine has become faulty and I will be contacting Sunbeam on Monday, but besides that, the 3 loaves I did make were successful.

Date PurchasedJun 2018
Hi misstcameron, Look forward to hearing from you and our team will be happy to assist you with any troubleshooting issues....

Not fit for purpose

Had mine for three days and three lots of bread with three fails. If the bread had turned out any heavier or harder I could have built a house from them. So a refund allowed me to get a good one and success first time. As an entry level bread machine I would never recommend it

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Inconsistent to the point of uselessness.

One in five times this machine gets things right. The other four times are random flops. Overflowing. Undercooking. Failure to rise. Brick like. You can't trust this thing to make any recipe consistently. Easier and cheaper to buy bread from Coles/Woolies. At least that is reliable. It's on a shelf in the garage now. Probably forever.

Pros:

Cheap

Cons:

Can't be relied upon.

Date PurchasedMar 2016

heat element turns off

The following is my saga, but simple question is do members' ovens get cld before the cooking cycle starts, resulting in the perfectly risen bread falling prior to cooking?

4500 made a perfect loaf 1st time using a bought multigrain mix and being very exact with measures, program 3 which is 4hrs 40 mins. 2nd loaf dough rose beautifully so I walked away. I happened to be there about 1hr 35 mins before the end and realised the machine was no longer warm and dough had fallen to half size. Believing this was a program fault, I stopped the program, went to bake for 1 1/2 hrs. Result was so so. I called Sunbeam and asked lots of questions as I did not want to have the hassle to return it. I was told the machine should remain warm throughout and then increase to bake about 35 mins before the end. I was told to return it which I did. It didn't occur to me that the 2nd machine would fail, but 1st attempt same thing, heater tuns off and dough collapses, so I took that back. Sunbeam were adamant that the machine should not get cold and also that there had been some similar failures. Yesterday got a 3rd and retailer and Sunbeam confirmed that this was from a different batch. Cooked a loaf, same thing happened; dough rose perfectly, then machine cooled during 2nd and 3rd mixing, but this time I did not interfere and allowed the full No.3 program of 4.40. Result was a loaf 2/3rds size with collapsed top. My view is the machine should always remain at the "rise" temp until it gets to bake. It seems obvious to me that if it is cold for at least 2 hrs in the middle, the dough is bound to collapse. I am 75 and I recall my mother making bread as a kid and it only went from the warm risen state to cooking, never cold. What do you think and in particular my question right at the beginning?

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Stainless steel perfect choice

have just used my Sunbeam Smart Bakehouse BM4500 for the first time. Raisin Bread loaf dough cycle double the amount of dough with this machine compared to my 12 year old Sunbeam Quantum Smartbake. I prefer to bake the conventional way in the oven gives me double the volume and a lovely baked loaf overall. Knowledge of bread making and how yeast works helps for successful bread making. A little more effort but worth it. This machine is so easy to use and clean afterwards. The stainless steel square look is a beautiful edtion to the kitchen bench. thanks Sunbeam for such a lovely machine.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Giving up

Have tried and tried with this bread maker but finally giving up. I even had my parents bring over some of the great "surebake" yeast from NZ. Back home we had a Panasonic that always worked. This Sunbeam just has failing loaves time after time. You follow all the instructions perfectly with fresh ingredients but sure enough - a sunken dense mass of failure is all you get.

Date PurchasedMay 2016

Flour

I had the same issues as a lot of people with bread not baking correctly not rising the only good thing i made was dough in the first month i tried everything different yeasts etc then i changed to a bakers flour and bingo bread is beautiful. Don't get me wrong every now and then i get one that sinks a little but still nice to eat. I hope this helps anyone that's having issues :-)

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Pretty poor

Had similar issues to others here - loaves often failing to come out right, collapsing in on itself at the top, and generally too dense with an annoying hole in the bottom when you remove the paddle from the bread.

The actuator which releases fruit & nuts is EXTREMELY loud and can't be turned off. I wondered what on earth had gone wrong with it when I heard BANG.... BANG... BANG... but that's what it does every time, even though I never use that feature. This also limits when and where it can be used so as not to inconvenience people.

The last time I used it I ended up with finely powdered steel through the dough as the paddle broke and the motor kept spinning underneath it.

If you're keen on making bread yourself, you'll need to do it properly, I'm afraid.

Date PurchasedOct 2014

agrtee with large percentage of reviews

we agree with the large number of complaints. bread sunken, undercooked , have tried all of the hints sunbeam, have posted still terrible bread. machine has been returned twice to sunbeam, still have to buy bread from super market -- bakehouse is a flop. we have never baked a good loaf using same laucke mixture as we have used in other bread makers

Date PurchasedFeb 2007

You get what you pay for

We always had a Breville Bakehouse but after several years it played up so we "saved" some money and ordered the Sunbeam. BIG mistake, not one loaf came out as we wanted, even when we used our own recipes, and the noise!!!!! Bought another Breville bakehouse and the Sunbeam sits in storage, with no one even looking at it when we had a garage sale.

Date PurchasedNov 2016

Lovely bread but leave a hole.

Pros:
- So easy to use. You just dump the ingredients in the pan, click it in and press a couple of buttons and lovely bread comes out. I have even messed up the ingredients and it came out perfectly.
- Easy to clean as the pan pops out and the kneading flap thing comes out
- comes with some really nice recipies (love the wholemeal and italian)
- can bake a 1kg loaf in under an hour

Cons:
- Leaves a hole in the base of the bread. This seems to be worse when making a load with oats or seeds in it or sourdough. The wholemeal and Italian were ok, but still a hole about 3-4 cm. This makes the bread break in two when cutting it. I called sunbeam and they said I have a faulty kneading blade and are sending me out a new pan.
- Turbo (1 hour bake) is only available for the 1 kg loaf.
- The bread does not pop up and open the lid like my last bread maker, so I am a little overly cautious of burning the house down. It does have a timer but it isn't loud enough to hear all the time, and I do forget.

Would I re buy? Yes, if you are OK with still having a hole in the base of the loaf. My Husband and I really prefer this to bakers delight bread and think it is actually more filling

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Waste of money. Just don't buy it.

The only good thing about it was that the paddle failed to work after the second loaf. That meant it was defective so I could return it to the store instead of throwing it in the bin. The machine was so fiddly to use. I'd previously used a bread machine several times a week for years without any problems. That wonderful machine just wore out in the end. The stupid Sunbeam had to have the water at a particular temperature. Aren't bread machines supposed to heat the water to the correct temperature? The end result was barely edible. Every single loaf collapsed on top. I referred to the troubleshooting page. I made loaf after loaf and took meticulous notes of what I'd tried. (I still have those notes, if anyone at Sunbeam is interested.) I weighed the water with my digital scales instead of using a measuring jug, so I'd know it was correct to the gram. I used the proper bread flour. The yeast was fresh. I tried different settings. No matter how I tinkered with the recipe the result was the same. A collapsed top and unpleasant texture. As for the jam! Yuk! The machine beat the fruit into an unappealing paste then overcooked it so it set too firmly to spread. I tried using less Jamsetta but it made no difference. Then I woke up one morning 11 days ago and realised that the malfunctioning paddle was my salvation. Back to the store went that rubbish machine and I paid a little more for a different one.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Don't like it.

I love Sunbeam products normally and had a bread maker for 20 years without a problem. When I got this new one, I was quite happy with the first couple of loaves. Now it is always hit and miss that the collapsible paddle will not collapse too early without first mixing the dough. I have had so many loaves that turn out like bricks and lopsided, despite my 20 years experience with another model. I would prefer to have a hole in my beautiful light fluffy loaf, than one that turns out a house brick 50% of the time. I always make sure my paddle is upright at the beginning holding it up with a skewer when I put all the ingredients in, so can only assume the new fandangle paddle is rubbish. I can tell when the paddle is lying flat as the dough is not being moved around like it should be.

Date PurchasedApr 2014

hole left in bread

I have a BM4500 and when i dig the blade out of the bread it leaves a hole and when i slice my bread my slice breakes almost in two. i cant make a sandwich out of it .. the bread looks good at a glance.. but the bread crumbles even when i toast it. so so disappointed

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Junk

Piece of rubbish. 9 out of 10 loaves do not rise despite me being very careful with ingredients. I have even tried it with the guy from the local bread mix shop who is a qualified baker.

If you do buy it, do so at your own risk.

Don't say you haven't been warned.

Date PurchasedMar 2016

Brick maker not bread maker

My parents bought this Sunbeam Bakehouse. We attempted 3 loaves and all 3 were inedible. The dough starts off looking normal but the machine over kneads and destroys the gluten elasticity which turns the dough into a thickened cream consistency. It rises slightly but then collapses on baking and turns out like a brick. We tried bread mix and a recipe from scratch from the Sunbeam manual. We took it back and paid a bit extra for the Panasonic. I have owned a Panasonic for 15 years which is still making great bread.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Not heating up

We've had the bread machine for a few months now and all was going well until it stopped heating and the bread was not cooking properly and not raising.
There is nothing in the troubleshooting to help remedy the problem, you'll only find fixes for your recipes. No help at all in mixing the problem

Date PurchasedJul 2016

I’ve had my Sunbeam Bakehouse BM4500 for just over a month. Loved it for the first few loaves however blade now dislodges on every bake and leaves grey/black residue marks throughout the bread. Given concerns about potential health affects if this residue was digested, I’ve had to throw every loaf out. Is dislodgement of the blade normal? When inserting it feels quite loose but it wasn’t like this I n the first few loaves. Help???
Hello :) I just recently commented on this exact same issue! I even secured the blade in properly but it still leaves a black residue through the dough. I am not sure with your machine but with mine the blade is locked in correctly but seems to be scraping the black coating of the bottom of the tin. It also caused me to throw my bread loaves out multiple times also. And yes, this coating is dangerous to consume as it contains synthetic chemicals in the black coating which can have harmful effects on the body. I suppose it's not just my blade. It's possible that the blades could be faulty because it happens.Hi Lana C, If your blade is scraping the tin, you should return it to store for a replacement. Obviously it should not be doing that . It is normally a great little bread maker so hope we can resolve this for you.Thanks Sunbeam Official. I returned it yesterday and the replacement worked great last night. Thanks, LC

After baking a loaf of bread or making dough how long before you can use the machine again? I am wanting to make two batches of pizza dough and have been waiting for over an hour to be able to make the second batch.
It should be ready to use straight away. It doesn’t need to cool as it’s only mixed and proved so you should be ready to go again within 5 minutes. I normally press the menu button briefly to make sure the settings haven’t changed and then startThanks Beekay I think I need to contact SunbeamNot sure what is happening with yours. I can usually bake a second loaf after leaving it cool down for 15 minutes. Just a tip though - are you leaving the lid up or down after you take out the first batch ? Obviously if you leave it down it will take longer to cool down.

The paddle in the bottom of our Bakehouse doesn't always stay upright and drops before mixing is complete resulting in a loaf that isn't a loaf at all, just an unmixed lump of ingredients. Any suggestions?
Hi John V. Thanks for your question. It's hard to determine the exact issue with baking process from the above info. It's not necessarily an issue with the paddle, as this is programmed to drop at a certain stage of the process. There are a lot of variables that may be contributing to this, such as too much water, incorrect setting etc. Could you please call us on 1300 881 861 to conduct more thorough trouble shooting with one of our bread maker experts.

Bakehouse BM4500