Sunbeam SmartBake Custom BM7850

Sunbeam SmartBake Custom BM7850

MPNs: BM7850 and SNB-BM7850

Em DeeCanberra 2600, ACT

failure of LCD

Bought as a replacement for another breadmaker 20 years old. Worked well at first, baking 4 loaves a week (teenage boys, what can I say!). At the 2 year mark, the LCD failed. Complete runaround by Sunbeam trying to get it fixed. Pulled apart the panel....faulty soldering underneath but is now rendered useless. Disappointing to replace at 2 years, although apparently that's what to expect. Expensive for something that only lasted 2 years. I wish my 20 year old machine was still working.

Purchased in September 2018 at Harvey Norman for A$180.00.

Maddi

MaddiSouth East Queensland, QLD

Average

This was an upgrade from our very old bread maker. It is OK. Not great but not bad. Does not have even cooking. Cooks a lot more on the bottom so you may get burnt bits on the bottom of your loaf while the top of the loaf is perfect. I find the recipes in the booklet provided use A LOT of flour.

Purchased in March 2020 at Harvey Norman for A$199.00.

Craig

CraigMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Perfect everytime

Revised review after warranty exchange. I found that this bread maker is very good, easy to use when selecting the straight forward recipe's or you can program your own. Over the past months we have used 3-4 different recipes as listed in the provided booklet with everyone one of them has been just great. We no longer purchase bread from the shops because we bake and let it cool before cutting and freezing into 4 sliced bags. I would suggest following the booklet which uses plain and wholemeal flour rather then the often used Bread makers flour. It simply works every time.

Purchased at Harvey Norman Online for A$220.00.

qthetGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Great breadmaker!

This my first purchase of a breadmaker and so far so good. I’ve only used spelt flour On the wholemeal bread settings. Worked perfectly every time. The 1.25kg bread is massive. I prefer the smaller loafs and use the seed dispenser.

I’ve used the timer and it was an hour out from the time I had set it to be ready.

Overall a great breadmaker with easy to follow instructions.

Purchased in March 2020.

Hello qthet
Glad you love it! Thanks for the review.

LeahWestern Australia

Faulty just when warranty expired

We purchased this machine 13 months ago (Nov 2018). We've been very pleased with the bread and dough made and use it just about every day. However the buttons have just stopped working one month after the warranty expired. We're completely dissatisfied with the longevity of this product and will therefore not be purchasing another Sunbeam product.

Purchased in November 2018 at Harvey Norman Retail Stores - Electronics for A$219.00.

Leah

Thank you! Im pleased to say the retailer has offered a replacement machine. Thanks again.

Customer CareSunbeam

That's great to hear Leah! Enjoy.

Dev

DevMelbourne

Does not last as long as older model. Costs too much for such a short life span

Had this bread maker for a little over 2.5 years. The LCD screen and buttons have stopped working. My previous bread maker (also sunbeam) lasted over 10 years. For the price this has a very short life span. Dont waste your money on this brand. Make good bread while it lasted

Date PurchasedOct 2015
Lynne Meek

Lynne MeekBatesford

I wouldn't use any other bread machine

I have been using the Sunbeam Smartbake in my cafe for nearly ten years, and love it. We have two running five days a week on the Dough cycle, sometimes two or three times a day, and they generally last for around twelve months. The only issue I have is that the later models overcook the fruit bread, which we cook using the Sweet Bread setting, and the alarm is extremely quiet. Apart from that, I would say please don't stop making it!

Date PurchasedMar 2017
Mike

MikeNew South Wales

Awful machine

1st loaf wasnt 1kg & was light in colour, pressed for dark. 2nd loaf after adjustments, sunk in middle. 3rd loaf did exactly how i did in old panasonic machine, another disaster. Tried recipes twice in book, horrid. A dud machine Sunbeam. Waste of money. Back to Panasonic.
Very disappointing

Date PurchasedMar 2018
Gen_fb

Gen_fbNSW, 2304

Only use on setting. Makes if beautifully, most of the time

Good recipe booklet, quite a few options, though there are plenty of recipies online. I evolved my own.
I use option 04 (wheat bread) to make a wholemeal/grain (with pepitas, sun flower seeds, linseeds, seasame seeds and poppy seeds).
Only issue is after 3months seed 'flap/dispenser' started working intermittently, about 50% of the time. So in affect got a wholemeal loaf and a dispenser still full of goodness after 4-odd hours every othed time.
I still make 2-4 loaves a week, the bread is beautiful, so good I can't even remember how much it cost when we got it (Dec16).

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Bernie

BernieZillmere

Disappointed with the colour.

I have only baked two loaves of bread and found it is easy to use, the bread taste nice but if the sides are a nice colour then the top is pale or the top crust is nice and the sides are burnt. My previous breadmaker was a Panasonic and doubt you could get a nicer loaf.

Date PurchasedDec 2017
bred cooker

bred cookercorio

worst breadmaker I've ever come across!

Attrocious machine. The set recipes are dreadful. Top crust very undercooked, and had to tweak custom recipes like mad to get anything remotely satisfactory. Often doesnt cook completely, and have to put loaf in oven to complete!
Also bucket made of flimsy, bendable metal. After tapping on side to remove loaf several times, bucket bent out of shape!!
I suspect whoever designed this machine has never baked bread at home.
Save your money for something better.

Date PurchasedAug 2017
Choo choo

Choo chooSydney

Never again Would i buy a sunbeam product !!!!

After trying everything this machine has never produced an acceptable loaf of bread ! My old reliable machine gave up after 10 years of reliable bread making ( sunbeam machine ) thats why i replaced it with another sunbeam , very dissapointed. Im not going to waste my time trying to deal with customer service.

Date PurchasedAug 2016
cecilia

cecilialaunceston

Top price but bottom quality (product and customer service)

Date PurchasedMay 2015
S.L.

S.L.Melbourne

Poor customer service feedback

Recipe for mixed fruit bread went strictly to the instructions but not enough liquid therefore bread mixed in little balls like marbles. Rang and emailed customer service twice, no answer to email, customer service person tried to be helpful but didn't know, said he would ask and get back to us didn't hear anything.
Not happy don't they care what customers think?

Date PurchasedJan 2017

JennyBlackburn

Kaput machine

Ha! Ha! I have to endorse previous opinion. I only baked 3 loaves. Tried to use it recently and it continues to trip the house switch. Now a added problem it bakes very burnt bread. It's kaput. Shame on you Sunbeam taking no responsibility for a crappy product. Recalling the product is the only way to save your name.

Date PurchasedJul 2015
Jenny

More complaints about this product but people cannot be bothered to go through the process. Udeless product

Good while it lasted

Bought it two and a half years ago. FIrst machine wouldn't work at all, replaced with this one. Only used it once or twice a week.
Made lovely bread, but now kaput. So each loaf cost $1 each in depreciation.
Disappointed in durability of this machine, would not buy this make again.

Date PurchasedJun 2014

Very buggy programmable capabitlity

I have had this for a couple of years now. I use it only to knead and rise my dough and depend heavily on the programmable capability. Unfortunately it is very buggy. In particular, it always reports an E05 error because it didn't see a bake cycle!! That means I don't get a proper end of cycle beep. It also forgets my programs on a regular basis. The program spot just goes empty after the E05 sometimes. It also occasionally fails to turn on the heaters for the rise cycle. What I do like, and the ONLY reason I have stuck with it is the ability to alter the steps mid cycle. I have tried 3 different machines - all the same.

Date PurchasedJan 2015

HannyMandurah

Never had a successful loaf of bread from this machine..

I have tried about 7 different recipes, changed level of water in some, yeast in others never had any luck.. very disappointed, I thought Sunbeam was reliable and had a good reputation. I have now returned the machine to Harvey Norman, they gave me a store credit.. Wouldve preferred my money back but that didnt happen.. thank you

Date PurchasedMar 2016
Brendan K.Sunbeam

Good somewhat oversized paperweight

This used to bake lovely loaves of bread. Then after 2 years the LCD screen broke. Not sure about other peoples standards but a machine of this cost from a supposedly reputable manufacturer should last 5 times that. Like our first non-Sunbeam one did. Jam it Sunbeam. Not buying anymore.

Date PurchasedMar 2014
Max

MaxWanaka

Second time lucky

Like the design and finish- hence why I purchased. Appears easy to use so far.
I have only made one white loaf and it was a flop despite following the recipe... the flour didn't mix on the sides and it was flat. Any recipes people can recommend that work please?

Date PurchasedDec 2015

Mal T.asked

Bought this machine recently 10/2020.seems to bake bread well. No issues here. However, the beep on the machine is nigh on inaudible, even when standing near the machine. Also, the display is barely readable and there is a bloom of some sort inside the display. It really is a struggle to see where the machine is in its cycle. Is this normal? We did contact customer support by phone but it was difficult to describe the issue over the phone. And yes, we did remove the plastic protective sheet from the display when we unpacked it :-)

Em Dee

the beep on mine was very soft, and difficult to hear. The display goes into a sleep mode after a while. Push any button to illuminate the panel and you'll see how much time is remaining.

Mal T.

Thanks.yes we are aware that the display goes into sleep mode. When we hit a button and bring the display back out of sleep mode it is still barely legible. Its really difficult to read.

Customer SupportSunbeam

Hi Mal,
Please see the manual for the BM7850 & page 66 should help you.
https://www.sunbeam.com.au/kitchen-and-home/cooking/bread-makers/smartbake-custom-bread-maker. Thanks.

Patricia Anderson

Patricia Andersonasked

Does the automatic seed dispenser work on the dough setting?

qthet

Yes it does. It releases seeds after the kneading process is done.

KTA

KTAasked

Hi, I’m from Malaysia and had received the sunbeam quantum smart bake as a gift. Been having it for years and it works great! issue is that i am unable to see the instruction via the LCD window. any help would be highly appreciated.

Get an answer from our members and Sunbeam representatives

CategoryBread Makers
Price (RRP) A$219.00
Max Loaf Size1.25 kg
FeaturesAutomatic Ingredients Dispenser, Gluten Free Setting, Jam & Compote Mode, Keep Warm Function and Viewing Window
Preset Timer 15 hours