Taubmans Water Based Enamel

• Longevity
Micheal

MichealGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Terrible

Found it impossible to get a good looking finish on the doors and trims I was painting. Trims are cover in brush marks no matter what I tried to do. The doors I rolled, tried different rollers, sanded between coats, multiple coats but just could not get a smooth streak free finish.

Purchased in September 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse Online Store for A$59.00.

Taubmans
Team MemberTaubmans
Pam Carr

Pam CarrGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Can't understand some of the review

I have used this paint on doors, trims, kitchen cupboard doors and even on a tiled splashback in a bathroom and the paint lasted for years and is still going. I cannot understand some of the negative reviews on this product.

Purchased in June 2020 at Bunnings.

Vessi

VessiSydney Surrounds, NSW

Tacky, patchy, and just awful!

The worse paint I have ever used in 30 years of painting.
I have painted 7 houses... nope just nope!
Patchy, sticky, tacky results.
Dries chalky with a gloss finish, want my money back!

Scott

ScottHunter Region, NSW

Should not be able to sell this crappy product.

Took the product back the first time as I thought it was faulty. When I replaced the product I realised it was just poor quality. The paint has a consistency of clag glue and did not cover at all well.

Purchased in July 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$70.00.

SweetPea

SweetPeaSouthwest, VIC

Just don’t..

This product has made me question my own ability to paint after decades of satisfying results. After applying 3 coats to a flat panelled door and allowing 2 days between each coat, I am left with a thick gluggy mess which will have to be completely sanded back. The closest thing to striped paint I ever hope to encounter.

Zukothedog

ZukothedogMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Awful, absolutely awful!

Went to Bunnings for an oil based trim paint and was recommended this instead. As a novice painter, I assumed the streaks and runs were due to my inexperience but the coverage was almost zero. Left the first coat for a full day to cure to no avail. It's more like a tinted gloss. Almost completely see through. I'm so annoyed that I paid $50 for 1ltre of this rubbish when Aldi sell (less crappy) gloss paint for $12 a litre!

Purchased in April 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$50.00.

Franz Kafka

Franz Kafka

The closest I have found to an oil based enamel

Purchased in January 2020.

Scaldis

ScaldisHobart, TAS

Worst paint ever

This review is for for the neutral base paint in gloss. I used a yellow tint. You can't use this paint on vertical surfaces. Even very thin layers run just before setting. This paint has very little pigment (and yes I did stir it before use). For a general 2-3 layer appearance, you need to put on 6 coats. So, this paint needs twice as many coats as other products, and because of its runniness will have a bad finish unless you only paint horizontal surfaces.

Purchased in December 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$90.00.

dcp

dcpPerth, WA

Doesn't perform as described on info sheet. Terrible experience

I used for a commercial project according to instructions because of the need for a low odour fast drying product. Applied according to instructions, several thin coats with ample drying time in between. Tin advertises a fast drying paint -- was marking up with fingerprints and scuffing days after final coat applied. Had to completely strip paint and start again. 4 days lost. Complained to Taubmans, extremely disappointed with response. No niceties, Was told it takes a week to cure -- nowhere does it state this on the tin or the info sheet to be found online.
Don't believe the hype about the product. Had they simply offered to refund the unused tin I wouldn't have bothered writing the review.

Purchased in August 2019 at bunnings for A$91.00.

So impressed

I found this paint amazing. Coverage is excellent. I water it down slightly as it is a thicker paint but I’d rather buy thicker paint and water it down slightly than pay for thin watered down paint. I found two coats gave a beautiful finish and covered evenly. I can’t understand some of these reviews as it’s honestly a paint that has impressed me so much I’ve considered writing to Taubmans to tell them (which I never do). I also wrap my brushes immediately in glad wrap if not completing my painting straight away and haven’t had any problems at all with my brushes. I used the product with a roller on cupboard doors and brushes on skirting and all look fantastic.

Angela03

Angela03Sydney, NSW

Not worth its money

Bought this paint from Bunnings as suggested by a salesperson in store .the paint is very thick, when used the paint brush it left the streak marks , tried roller paint being thick it was difficult.
Won’t advise anyone to use this paint

Purchased in June 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse.

Emily D.

Emily D.Canberra 2600, ACT

Sufficient.

Purchased in May 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$40.00.

Tony T

Tony TRichmond-Tweed, NSW

Terrible to use

I sanded door trims to fine finish, finish from prior tradesperson was average. Spent hours sanding filling then two coats 3 in 1 primer surfacer. Sanded lightly then put first coat of colour, white, and within seconds of applying would skin so could not spread coat out to even finish leaving heavy brush marks. I am not impressed at all. Unluckily paid by credit card and itemized Bunnings receipt thrown out. Also bought colour for door, now sorry I bought Taubmans Ultimate Enamel.

First time use, I'm impressed....

zoe

zoeGeelong

Strong paint odour

I have been airing out the room for 3 days, but it still has a very strong paint smell. Only painted the trim around one door and one window. And the room reeks. It smells like turps paint. There is no way that this product is low VOC. False advertising, this paint is not low odour.

Ron. K

Ron. K

Pretty good results

Used it over mdf cupboards, drawers and doors in kitchen. Correct priming and sanding is required to get the best finish. Works well of the brush and flows adequately off a trim roller. Looks good and sets nice and hard... No problems....

Steve

SteveMiami Gold Coast

Taubmans Ultimate

Date PurchasedApr 2017
Haz

HazSouth East Queensland, QLD

Poor finish

I wish I had read reviews before I spent $77 on 4 litres. It applies like its got no substance to the paint and goes on patchy and uneven. This was using short nap roller and paint brush. Poor coverage meant 3 top coats trying to get a decent finish. A lot of hours of wasted labour. I have always been happy with Taubman's low sheen and ceiling paint but give the gloss a big miss.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Ultimate Enamel is fickle

Ultimate Alkyd Enamel is great when sprayed but don't bother using it with brush and rollers. Destroys brushes as well if you don't wash regularly whilst painting. As a painting contractor, I'm sticking to Dulux AquaEnamel, with all its faults, for the time being. If Taubmans somehow makes this product more friendly to brush and roll application, I would consider using again because it does give a nice sheen.

Cheers.

Date PurchasedMay 2018
JHL

JHLSouth East Queensland, QLD

Alkyd Ultimate

Not happy with this product, and found it very difficult to apply with any satisfactory result.

I bought 10 litres of this Ultimate for painting windows and skirting boards etc. the first tin of paint had coagulated into something like cottage cheese. Bunnings replaced it. The second tin, when I started painting, it rapidly became clear to me that this product just ruined any previous prep work. I found it's impossible to over-paint after about two minutes, and found brush marks are virtually impossible to remove. Thankfully Bunnings refunded, and I bought 10 l of an oil based semi-gloss, Now happy!

Date PurchasedMay 2018

Wendy T.

Wendy T.asked

Water Based Enamel

I am painting a wooden bed with Taubmans water based enamel. The bed is wood stained and I think is sealed with a low gloss varnish (factory finished). I have sanded it and under coated with Taubmans 3 in 1 sealer. I’m having trouble with brush strokes, mainly on the slats and especially at the edges of the slats where they are rounded. After doing the first coat of the water based enamel I have had to sand the brush strokes off and am now back to bare wood in places. My questions are: 1. Should I re-apply the undercoat where I have bare wood? 2. Should I use a roller where possible and if not, what is the best brush to use? Wendy

Jan

Janasked

Water Based Enamel Gloss

When painting interior doors with gloss paint can you thin paint with water and how do you get a good finish?

Shrek
Shrek

When I had so much trouble with applying the paint evenly, a guy at Taubmans said that I could use a small amount of water to thin it, though I can't remember the amount.
I ended up using a foam roller on the doors and a brush on the frames. I had to work quickly to roll the paint so that it didn't create overlay patches. It took several rolls over each area to work it into an even spread and then a very light roll over top to smooth it off. I preferred to have an even ripple effect from the roller than streaks from the brush.

Ace Mc cool
Ace Mc cool

Hi Jan,
I found the paint a good consistency for painting my trim and seemed to have lots of time to work the paint. I think I would use that Flowtrol paint thinner for acrylic paint if I was thinning it. This product should give you extra working time. Doors are so hard to do. I only used the paint for trim so did not have to work on a large area.. Best of luck with your painting.

Gull

Gullasked

Water Based Enamel Semi-Gloss

Hi everyone does anybody suggest good water based semi gloss paint other than dulux aquanamel semi gloss
have used this and results are not good it dries very quickly and results are not good. any paint that easy to apply any suggestion will be appreciated.

mattfruitbat
mattfruitbat

Hi Gull,
Yep Ive used Taubmans Ultimate enamel which is water based but slower drying so you have time to get a really good finish.
It dries quicker than oil based enamel and easy to clean up. My experience this time of year is to let it cure for a week before it gets any abuse. It takes a litle bit to harden up. I've got more info on my blog page. Ive been trying to find new paints for my business as some have gone off the market unfortunately.

Get an answer from our members and Taubmans representatives