MPN: FV5605

Does the job well - a few quirks

Picked up at a good guys sale - the previous ALDI iron had been dropped and was leaking as well as some superficial damage - hence looking for a replacement.
First impressions - solid without being too heavy, and with a really large water filling hole. You can fill the iron straight under a tap instead of using a separate filling device. The triangular surround at the heel of the iron provides a stable base (and with a tilting cord) for when you rest it.
In use - glides smoothly and haven't had any sticking issues with the hotplate base (but haven't melted any synthetics either).
Steam - this threw me at first because I assumed that the iron was capable of steaming on some hybrids / synthetics - as with a lot of european "universal" pictorial manuals its not quite as easy to follow as a well written text-based manual. In fact the only auto steam settings apply to the wool / cotton / linen settings in the white band.
If you want steam with synthetics or a lower temperatures, you'll have to use the manual steam trigger.
With usage, it was found that it is easier to adjust the temperature setting in the white band with the steam off, and then flick the lever: if the steam is set on, it causes a noticeable resistance to moving the temperature setting in the white band of temperatures.
The base can be scratched by zippers - be careful.
& Ironing? It gets hot enough to flatten Linen and judicious steam use produces a fine result. It can be hungry on water use and there may be occasional blots of water ejected on to the piece you are ironing. You may need to experiment with intermediate settings to get the desired result for your synthetics / delicates - like all of these items a bit too much heat can affect the surface finish (inside out is a good precaution).
Ease of use - the cord could be a little longer. A more intelligent indicator light so the user is aware that the iron has reached and maintaining the desired temperature setting. And clearer instructions - the universal language pictorial guides could be improved with more detail and clearer written instructions.
Longetivity? Time will tell, however it is doing the job it was bought for.

Purchased in May 2019 at The Good Guys.

Clothing Material Cotton, Denim and Synthetics

A good performer for a reasonable price!

Looking for a cheap replacement for the previous iron which seemed to be losing heat and steam as it aged. Settled on the Tefal FV5605 as it seemed to meet our criteria (from the specs on the box) of;

* Reasonably priced
* Auto shutoff
* 2400W heat
* Strong steam
* Not too heavy

Happy to report that this iron appears to have filled the criteria admirably. Heat is more than adequate and my wife is particularly impressed with the amount of steam delivered. It is reasonably light for constant retrieving from a “rest” position to use yet ironing performance does not seemed to have been sacrificed. Auto-Shutoff functions as it should and the iron is comfortable to hold with all buttons/dials suitably positioned and easy to press/turn. Cord is fairly short but this now seems to be the norm on all modern irons. Sole plate is Durilium which (based on past experience) should last well. Also included is an “Anti-calc” feature.

On the downside, the instructions are those increasingly frustrating foldout versions with multiple languages and instructions communicated predominately through somewhat confusing “coloured drawings”. Fortunately, being an iron it doesn’t require that much instruction to understand and use. I did note, however, a fairly lengthy set of rules regarding a variety of maintenance operations which they want you to carry out in time periods from “3X Year” to “12X Year”. These include “de-calcing” the iron through to cleaning the sole and the steam water pump.
The other issue concerns the flip side of having great steam…it must be refilled frequently. While this is a little annoying my wife feels it is a fair compromise considering the amount of steam generated.

Overall, iron feels of quality construction and hopefully will last a long time. Re-assuringly, it is provided with a Tefal 2 year warranty

Purchased in June 2019 at The Good Guys for $79.20.

Tefal TurboPro FV5605

I bought this product and use for few times. It is powerful as described however, water in the tank quickly run out. And when it's turned off, water just licked out giving a distressing iron experience.

Product is used: Weekly

A solid main iron or a great addition to a steam generator

I iron everything in the house, so this is something that has been used extensively in the past 3 weeks.
First the bad and things that can be improved.
What is wrong with all the product coming out at the moment, that only have a light tells you when it’s heating but once the temperature is reach you don’t know if it’s on? I would like a green led that turn on once it’s ready to operate as a safety for people around.
Second, the length of the power cord, unless you have the power outlet right next to the ironing board you’ll need an extension cord.
Last thing, the temperature select wheel works well when no steam is selected but a bit « stiff » when steam is on.

So how was the product during the time I was using it.

First I do have a steam generator from Tefal so I know the brand very well and it was a good way to compare the quality of the results.
I have to admit it’s a lot heavier than my steam press, but you have to carry the water and a few other things in a compact iron. So on long session I found it heavy by the end of it, the upside is that because of it you get a good finish.
It glides nicely on all the materials I have at home, it heat super fast. It’s ready to use in record time, that was a good change from the steam generator, meaning that it wasn’t a headache to do a small batch of ironing when I had a few minutes. Plug it in, get the garnement put it on the board and away you go.
In fact my son wanted to have his school shirt ironed just before leaving and because it’s so fast at reaching the desired temperature I agreed to it, it sparked in my son’s head that he could do it himself (he is only 10). Long discussion short, I agreed also to teach him to iron his clothes on that evening. The main reason for me to accept it was all the safety this iron has, it is reassuring to know that in the event that he decides to use it when I am not watching I do have a safety net, left unattended on clothes it will turn off after 30 sec and 8 min if left untouched in standing position. Honestly I couldn’t verify the times since I never know if it’s on, and I am not about to try putting my hand on it to see if I will burn myself or not!
Back to my son, he learned how to use this iron, and despite being an L with it, we get good results if he listens.
So if my really not experienced son can do a good job, anyone can.
Also before I forget the nozzle spray is fantastic, very good mist of water, all the drops are of regular size so no wet patches when you use it.

Last thing, the turbo steam button, the one some people have issues with it’s position, I don’t find it to be a problem, it’s the same as my steam press so not an issue for me. I understand that it can be triggered easily where it is, but if you keep it pressed nothing extra will come out after the initial burst, problem solved!

So is it a good iron? yes
Is it easy to use? yes
Does it heat up quickly? yes
Do you get enough steam? yes and the burst is really good

Would I recommend buying it? Yes despite the negative points it is a very good iron for less than $100, if your budget doesn’t allow you to buy a steam generator, this is a very good iron.
I would also add that, if you have a steam generator like me and the issue of heating it up makes you think of getting a regular one just for those time when you only need it to do touch ups or the last minute « Dad, I need this shirt iron quickly !!!? » then this is a great addition to the laundry room. Also it is a lot more quiet than the generator meaning that I can now do some ironing while watching tv with everyone!

A Better Way to Iron and a Silky Smooth Baseplate

I've had a tonne of irons over the years. So many irons and all different prices and makes. I didn't think there was anything new, different or better in the world of ironing. This is completely different. It's a whole different ballgame. Ironing is now more enjoyable and more to the point, it's efficient. I go looking for clothes to iron now, it's so fast.

I was very excited to try the Tefal Turbo Pro as I've got a lot of other Tefal products and they are all quite good to excellent (Tefal Cook4me is the best). I was most excited to try out the baseplate against my clothes which range from very heavy gauge workwear to thin business shirts and satin pillowcases. I know Tefal is famous for their non-stick appliances. The Durilium Air Glide works really, really well.

I've never experienced an iron gliding so effortlessly over fabric with or without having it filled with water. The baseplate, not only met my expectations but exceeded them. The heat permeating through the baseplate was intense when it needed to be and gentle for delicates. The results were so quick that if I had a better ironing board I could only imagine how much more time I could shave from an ironing session.

The buttons are sturdy and located in places that are natural to grip and use. There is ample information on the iron itself to make sure your settings are correct for each piece of clothing. This is an example of proper design and testing.

My favourite feature so far is the spout to fill the water. Every single other iron I have ever used was painful to fill. The water would pool at the top spout and spill everywhere. The TurboPro has a huge spout with a rubber seal, just tip the water in fast, it doesn't overflow. That's a great design feature - Thank you.

I also own a Tefal clothes steamer and this does just as great a job if you are already ironing (if not better), just hang them on a clothes horse so it doesn't move and you can steam vertically to freshen up your clothes or help with pet hair removal. I also used the steam function to freshen up pillows, cushions, jackets and scarves. Honestly, this really does work very well. I'm tempted to do the curtains too. I've just moved house and everything needs a freshen up. Too easy and too fun. If you pump the steam too many times (which you shouldn't do anyway), water will come out. But, for testing sake, I did try this. It heats exceptionally quickly anyway.

I really didn't know how awful my other iron was until I used this. I definitely recommend this iron and would buy this for family members without hesitation. It's just a solid, good appliance, with excellent materials and a sublime baseplate.

Clothing Material Cotton, Denim, Silk and Synthetics

Great iron that meets all the requirements

I've only ever owned one Tefal product before, and only ever owned two irons in my entire life. Both my previous irons lasted a very long time, hence why only two. I'm always skeptical when it comes to new products as they always feel a bit more flimsy than older ones, especially in this price range, but this iron actually feels quite solid and sturdy, especially being slightly larger than previous iron's i've used in the past. But given the price, this iron definitely meets the requirements. It packs the usual features of most irons, but also claims a 20% energy saving as well. I'm unable to say whether it did or not as I didn't really check to see how much energy our previous iron was using, but if it does, thats a big win given the price of electricity these days! Every kWh counts!

The iron has a very sturdy feel about it when holding it. Even prior to using it, you get the feeling that its of good quality. The only exception to that is the stand, which is of a hardened plastic. That aside, the stand is also quite sturdy and it doesn't feel like its going to tip over when it sittings upright. I do like that about this iron, as many previous irons feel like they're going to topple over while sitting upright.

The safety feature has already been a godsend for us. 30 seconds of it sitting horizontal or 8 mins of it being upright and vertical and it turns off. Lucky for us, this feature exists as it was accidentally left on one morning in the upright position, so when we came home, it was off. No burned down house, no massive electricity bill from it.

Using it was great, compared to the previous irons I have owned. The iron did what you would expect an iron to do - it got rid of the creases with minimal fuss. In both steam and non-steam modes, it worked nearly flawlessly. There was none of this clothing-sticking-to-the-iron-and-then-creating-a-new-crease issue that has happened for me on more than one occasion with my old irons. It just glided over my shirts with ease. The "turbo boost" which seems to just be a shot of hot steam does help with that a bit too, although i rarely needed to use it with normal steam mode turned on.

There's probably only two things that I can fault this iron on, and they're not major. First is the heat. It gets super hot. I actually had to turn the heat down a bit for my clothes as I was a bit concerned about them. And the dial isn't the easiest thing to adjust either, it feels a bit stiff to move, but maybe thats because its still new. The stand didn't get hot, but given the heat it puts off, it was a little bit of a thought that it might. I'm sure Tefal thought of that though. At least i can decrease the temperature.
The only other thing I would like to see is a longer power cable. I feel the power cable isn't long enough to be comfortably reaching each part of the ironing board without moving it around, but in saying that, no previous iron has had a longer cable either.

Overall, its a good iron for its price, and if its claim to 20% energy saving is true, it will definitely pay for itself over and over.

Product is used: Weekly

An good choice for busy families

The Tefal Turbopro is definitely one of the better irons I have ever used and has certainly reduced the time I spend ironing down, which as a busy working mum is brilliant. While the iron has a few minor annoyances, the benefits certainly outweigh the cons.
Pros:
- The durilium air glide technology of this iron is exceptional. I have had a positive experience on all fabric types I have used, from delicate silk to rough linen. So far I have had no issues with sticking or catching and have found the Turbopro to be very kind to fabrics.
- The turbo boost steam trigger is a joy to use. I tend to use additional steam quite regularly ironing seams into trousers, and the placement of this button on the underside of the handle is very ergonomic and comfortable to use. The turbo boost manages to iron through all layers of the trousers which my old iron was not able to do. This feature alone significantly cuts down time spent ironing.
- The shape of the plate is also extremely well thought out with the tapered end allowing you to get into small areas around buttons with minimal fuss– this feature is particularly helpful if you iron a lot of small childrens' clothes and uniforms.
- The XL water inlet eliminates the need for fussing around with funnels and measuring cups. I can stick it under the tap and carefully fill in a few seconds. It is awesome.
- The Turbopro doesn’t leak water from the plate holes! I have used so many irons over the years that persistently leak water as it readjusts its temperature. This has not been a problem with the Turbopro and is certainly one of the best selling points of this iron.

Cons:
- The temperature adjustment switch is in an awkward position, is rigid and difficult to change. It is positioned where you would use your thumb or forefinger to move between settings as you use it, however I find that I need to stop ironing and pinch the switch to move it as it is too stiff to use it with one finger as intended.
- The placement and shape of the spray button is particularly annoying. It is situated on top of the handle and as I iron, I find my hand making contact with it causing it to drip or spray water when I don’t actually want it to. While not an issue with cotton items, on silk garments that show watermarks it can be quite problematic.

Overall, the Tefal Turbopro has been excellent, and has been particularly efficient on kids clothing (a definite selling point for many busy mums!). I hope in time the minor issues regarding button placement will be rectified; however the benefits far outweigh the cons. I would certainly recommend this iron. Great job, Tefal!

Clothing Material Cotton, Denim, Silk and Synthetics

Solid iron with all of the necessary functions and some extras that make it a great standalone product!

When I first got this I was a little unsure of the price, at $100 it is more then I would usually spend on an iron. However after a few weeks of use this is definitely worth the price point. You can tell the quality in the materials and the functionality behind it's design.

PROS
- The power/heat: This iron is serious when it comes to it's temperatures and steam power. The creases in my clothes/sheets and my partners suit jacket did not stand a chance in it! The temperature dial also has settings specifally for the kind of material you are using which is such a helpful guide so you are not burning something delicate like silk (and you are like me and don't actually know what temp you should be using on certain fabrics). In one load or ironing I was able to switch between ironing sheets and going on to a delicate silk dress with no issues. This handled every kind of fabric I used it with beautifully.
- Auto-switch off function : If you are someone like me that leaves the house and then wonders if you forgot to switch something off, this definitely puts your mind at ease. I tested it a few times before I fully relied on it and without fail it works (if you leave the iron facedown it switches off after 30 seconds - great for parents if you suddenly get distracted and end up with burnt clothes, and in the standing up position it's 8 minutes which is perfect for it to not switch off constantly during use but good enough if you forget to switch off/unplug).
- General Layout/design - all the buttons/knobs/ water tank hole are in good and functional positions. The meanings of each little symbol are printed on the side of the iron as well (as opposed to being inside a manual which people rarely read). There is even a brace for the iron standing upright so there is no risk of it falling/or knocking it over.
- The Iron/steam combo. Days after getting this iron my steamer broke (I have always had the stand alone clothes steamer). I decided to just use this iron until I had purchased a new one but now i am not even going to bother. This has a great steam function (I was hanging my partner's stiff work jacket and pants up and steaming them instead of ironing them). You can also steam items laying flat on the ironing board for a boost to get out tough wrinkles. The location of the "turbo boost" button is under the iron handle so it's easy to use if holding the iron up to steam something.
- Heats up really fast: great if you just quickly need to do one or two things quickly.
- Large hole to pour water into water container: This is great!

CONS
- Dark colour makes it a bit hard to see the water level.
- Weight of iron, especially if using as a handheld steamer: This is to be expected, it is going to be heavier then the nozzle of a handheld steamer (because that doesn't have the water tank or steel plates on it). Not the worst thing, but I would not want to steam a wardrobe full of clothes with this as your arm would be so sore by the end. Perfect for the occasional handheld steaming (like suit jackets).
- Weird smell that lingered for the first few uses - At first i thought the iron was actually burning up (smelt like burnt plastic) but apparentely this is just the smell a new iron has the first few uses. It went away and have not had any issues since.
- Cord length: Not an issue when using with the ironing board, but when using it as a handheld steamer the cord is definitley not long enough. Easily fixed with an extension cord however.

Overall I am really happy with this and it's a definite upgrade from the cheap ones I was using before, plus it has the steam function so when our clothes steamer broke we didn't actually need to go and purchase another one. Hopefully this iron stands the test of time - I would expect it to last years (Tefal actually gives you a 2 year warranty with it). If it does I would definitely repurchase over and over again as this is a solid, sturdy and really functional product that has everything I need. Honestly can't find any major faults with this that would make me give it less then 5 stars - sure there are cons (no item is absolutely perfect) but thhey are small niggly little personal things, and the pros definitely outweight them

Clothing Material Cotton, Denim, Silk and Synthetics

Comfortable, solid iron that sides well, and performs admirably, however short 2m cord

This iron was comfortable to use, well-weighted, slides beautifully over fabrics, didn’t become grimy with use and we had no leaks while steaming very well. We also liked the stiffer than usual temperature control which avoided accidental adjustments while ironing, a common annoyance with our old iron. This product is very proud of it's French manufacture and does feel premium.
The temperature of the soleplate was also very consistent and held the heat well after heavy use (checked by thermal camera) We found the main cable to be too short (2m instead of the usual 3m) and if you can get this iron with lighter colour contrast plastics, it should make it easier to see the water level which we did find a little difficult through the dark maroon colour. The iron was stable on the base with a wide foot however the design of the foot did have some flexibility which made us a little uneasy a couple of times when putting it down.
Overall, a great iron bar the annoyingly short cord, hopefully this can be replaced. It had performed well, ironing delicates, work wear and business wear in the household over the past month

Clothing Material Cotton

A solid main iron or a great addition to a steam generator.

First the bad and things that can be improved.

So how was the product during the time I was using it.

It glides nicely on all the materials I have at home (synthetic, cotton, viscose blends, silk...), it heats super fast. It’s ready to use in record time, that was a good change from the steam generator, meaning that it wasn’t a headache to do a small batch of ironing when I had a few minutes. Plug it in, get the garnement put it on the board and away you go.
So if my really not experienced son can do a good job, anyone can.

So is it a good iron? yes
Is it easy to use? yes
Does it heat up quickly? yes
Do you get enough steam? yes and the burst is really good

Great iron for the job

Iron works very well and would definitely recommend. Produces great steam and is light and easy to handle.
Must admit, I do not do the ironing in our house so my wife tested the product.

She found the iron not too heavy for her hand/wrist and she found the iron really easy to use.
(glides over the surface of clothes)
The iron was powerful with a great burst of steam. Perfect for her ironing needs. ( mostly cotton and denim clothes).

Water tank was sufficient, is easy to refill and best of all, the iron heats up really quickly. Setting are also easy to ready, understand and to maneuver round.
Wife also mentioned the surface of the iron was of great quality as the iron moved over the clothes quite easily.
Auto shut of was also a great safety feature and the base of the iron is solid and sits well on flat surfaces.

Only complaint about this iron... the electrical cord was too short. Just means getting the extension cord out when we need to iron.
Other than that small issue, the iron is great and would definitely recommend .

Clothing Material Cotton and Denim

Very good general use iron with only a few minor niggles

Having used Tefal products previously and being impressed with their quality, we were looking forward to evaluating this iron. Though irons are not bought for their looks, this is a good looking product, and appears well made and solid. It has a good hand feel and is well balanced and not too heavy. When not in use, the cord wraps well around the base and enables the iron to stand easily on its base: which is large and ensures the iron is quite stable. The controls are well placed and easy to use, though until you get used to it, it is a little hard to press the "shot of steam" button without also pressing the water spray button.
So how does it go in practice? It is a very easy to use product: the iron heats up very quickly and the settings all work well for their intended function. The iron's base-plate is beautifully smooth, and glides over materials of all kinds extremely easily. We put it to the test on a range of mixed natural and synthetic fabrics, and it gave very good results on all of them. For an average ironing job for a family of three adults, it coped very well. The water spray works well, and has a very well designed spout: it is very easy to fill under the tap or from a container, and the wide opening means there is less likelihood of spills. This is good, because it goes through water pretty quickly: that average wash meant the iron needed refilling about three times. The steam function also works very well.
WHAT WE LIKED: Very quick to heat up; very good controls; steam and water spray functions; very smooth on a range of fabrics with better than average results on most things; auto shut-off function if the iron is not used for a period of time; large and stable base
WHAT WE DIDN'T LIKE: Easy to accidentally push spray button instead of steam button at first; water tank needs frequent refills; struggles with heavily creased and large linen items; cord could ideally be a bit longer
VERDICT: An excellent all-round iron for small to medium ironing jobs (read families) with only a few minor niggles keeping it from perfection.
RATING: Definite 4 1/2 star (Very good); definitely recommended.

Clothing Material Cotton, Denim, Silk, Synthetics and Wool

A powerful iron that makes ironing easy.

The Tefal TurboPro FV5605 is one powerful iron. To give you some context, our household has a love affair with linen. It's a wonderful material for the hot summers of Australia. However, it wrinkles at the slightest touch.

We used to use our 20 year old Black & Decker iron, which has served us well. However, the Tefal TurboPro blows this iron out of the park with it's power. Where the B&D used to take about an hour to get through our load, we have pretty much cut that time in half.

We did have one issue with the unit, as it leaks. This is a pretty bad fault, as this may stain shirts over time, which is why I docked a star score. So far this hasn't impacted any of our clothes. However, with each new ironing session, we usually use the 'Turbo Boost' feature to flush out any dirty water, before we actually start ironing.

To give you an overview of the pros and cons of this product -

Pros:
- Quickly heats up so it can be used almost immediately after switching it on
- Very powerful, so it cuts through your ironing like a hot knife through butter
- Aesthetically appealing and also ergonomic
- Comes with an in-built "stand" so there is almost no chance of falling over (unless you knock the iron itself, or if you purposely shake the ironing board)
- Turbo Boost feature acts like a garment steamer
- Easy to set up and use (has settings for specific materials like linen, cotton, wool etc.)

Cons:
- Leaks, which may stain clothes if the water is not not "flushed" before use
- Quite heavy, as it comes with the in-built stand so long periods of ironing becomes tiring
- Short cord (not too much of a hassle, but would've been nice with a few extra cms)
- Uses a lot of water (probably because it's so powerful)

Overall, the Tefal TurboPro FV5605 is a good quality, powerful iron. I think the leaking might be an issue that they should take a look at, as it would shorten the lifespan of this product. However, I will be gifting my old B&D iron to my daughter now, because this Tefal iron is a definite upgrade.

Clothing Material Cotton and Synthetics

Perfect performance with design flaws

I am yet to come across anyone who would enjoy ironing. However, the sheer beauty of the Tefal TurboProFV5605 compels you to reach for this French product and happily go about your unenviable task.
Let us start with positive aspects of this iron.
The maroon colour of the iron's body is very pleasing to the eye. The transparent body allows you to see the water level easily. The iron heats up very quickly indeed. The auto-clean durilium soleplate is stain resistant and ensures incredibly easy glide. This, combined with the Tefal Turbo Boost technology delivering deep steam penetration of fabric, result in very easy removal of the toughest creases. The iron is also very easy to manoeuvre over all sorts of materials including delicate fabrics and even buttons. Like most of other irons, this iron also features a dial enabling selection of fabrics. The dial is clearly marked and very easy to use.
The iron features a smart Auto off, which automatically turns off the power after 30 seconds. At first I thought that for a hot iron to sit for 30 seconds on the ironing board would surely burn the material. But this proved to be unwarranted. The iron switched off without damaging anything. This is thus a welcome safety feature.
So, in summary, this iron is very easy to use and makes the job of ironing a pleasure.
However, there are certain things which may be improved. First of all, the iron is not exactly light. On the one hand its weight is a good thing as you do not have to press down; you just glide along effortlessly. On the other hand, older people may find its weight too much and thus tiring for longer use.
The base makes the iron very stable when upright. However, the sturdy base makes it almost impossible to rest the iron onto the special part on the side of the ironing board. It has to stand on the board itself which is inconvenient as it significantly decreases the area of the board needed for ironing.
Ergonomically, the iron could be improved. Particularly the location of the turbo boost button on the bottom of the handle makes it difficult to have a full grip of the handle. It interferes with that.
The power cord could be a little longer too. In addition, one has to replenish the water in the reservoir quite often, particularly if the Turbo Boost is used.
All these little things do not take away the fact that overall this is a great iron the feature of which would be appreciated by most user. The famous French flair for design is apparent.
My biggest criticism is of the various manuals including the pictorial Instruction Manual. The safety and warranty booklets are practically unreadable because of the impossibly small print. The pictorial Instruction Manual is confusing and difficult to use.
Strangely, the iron does not come with a cup for water.
The iron comes with two year warranty. It may be purchased for $99 if on special.

Purchased in January 2019.

Clothing Material Cotton, Denim, Silk, Synthetics and Wool

Punches above its weight!

There is a slight heft to it as this product harks back to the days when an iron had some weight. I dislike some of the new irons in the market which required a lot of effort to press your garments. The slight weighty-ness of this iron goes some way in helping me get a perfectly pressed piece every time.

The opening to fill the water reservoir is large enough to put under a running tap and the reservoir holds enough to do 10 to 12 pieces easily. The FV5605 is a combination steam / spray iron with the steam naturally coming from the holes on the hot plate and the spray nozzle traditionally at the front of the iron. The button for the steam function is shaped like a gun trigger with the spray function activated by either one of the buttons (spray or steam) on top using your thumb. This layout is very ergonomic and feels natural when doing the ironing. It may be a bit confusing at first but it becomes second nature after a few days.

The hot plate is coated and glides effortlessly on the garments being ironed. The weighty-ness of the iron also helps to apply the right pressure on the cloth so that there is no need to press the iron against the cloth to iron out the wrinkles. I could do nearly a week's worth of the kids uniform and office clothes at a go and not feel as tired. Another bonus was that the wire was sufficiently long to extend to the entire length of the ironing board as I can complete a length of trousers in one swift action saving time in needing to re-adjust the garment.

Overall, this is a solid product and I am very happy with it.

Clothing Material Cotton, Denim, Synthetics and Wool

Finally... a Heavy Duty Iron that is actually Heavy

We've had lots of irons over the last 30 years and this Tefal has been the best iron for our kinds of workloads that we've ever used. To set the scene, our workload is typically jeans, workshirts, slacks and t-shirts made up of cotton and polyester for the most part. We didn't iron more exotic fabrics.

This Tefal is actually a heavy iron in your hand which was immediately noticeable compared to all the others. Somewhere along the line, manufacturers have thought it cool to get away from that and provide very light irons for some reason and the extra weight in this iron makes a difference when going over every kind of fabric we ironed. Its not a Dead weight by any means, but it feels really solid and the weight is distributed well over the bottom of the plate. The real test was a freshly washed and then drier dried pair of Wrangler jeans. They turn to corrugated cardboard after that and no iron has been able to easily get them back to a wearable pair of pants! The extra weight in this iron, combined with the really powerful steam blasts (feels like the iron wants to lift off the bench), the low-down water spray location just above the tip (rather than up top of iron) made it the easiest experience yet. It would equate to a minimum 5 minute saving over the experience, which doesn't sound like much but when you're ironing a lot, you're happy to get to the end faster.

We absolutely loved the huge watering hole. By far the biggest we'd ever seen on an iron. Easy filling is fantastic and you don't feel like you have to carefully pour the water in and still spill it on the iron and board.

The controls for changing what kind of fabric you are ironing are not a wheel under the handle. For someone with large hands, this is great. I've had issues on other irons where I could grasp the handle and my fingers would turn the dial at the same time! No-one wants to be that careful each time you pick it up and that iron nearly went out the window because of it.

The only issue I found that actually bothered me was the length of the power cable. It was fully a good 35cm shorter than our other iron. Where this made a difference was when the cable hung down in front of the ironing board and you flip shirts around to iron different segments. The shirt was getting caught in the cable. I had to move the ironing board around in the space, connect the iron over the back of the board instead of to the side. That may be an issue for people in confined spaces.

In summary, this iron set the standard for us from now on. The reason it didn't get a 5 is because of the cord and the time it has taken for the burn-in smell to disappear. Weeks later it still smokes a little when you turn it on and you can smell some plastics getting "settled" due to the heat. I suspect that will die off completely.

Glides like a breeze....

The iron was offered to me for an honest review.
Upon receiving and opening the box, the appearance was pleasing. I know irons are almost the same, yet each has some different features. I’d also rate as 4 1/2 stars.

The Tefal irons all have sturdy bases. Here, this is a plus.

Let’s start with the pros-
The Tefal TurboPro FV5605, too has that awesome stable standing base. It has a well designed triangle base where the cord isn’t hindered. It’s weight is perfect on the wrist. It has an excellent grip throughout the ironing time. Iron heats within 30 seconds, so no wasting time and power. Definitely has a powerful Steam Boost, located under the grip. Ironing is a breeze, the iron does glide over items. Denim/Linen/Bedding made so much easier.
As per usual, delicates can be used on higher level with the use of protection cloth.
Negatives
The length of the cord could be longer. There are some restrictions depending on item. ie bedding. Though the iron can be used vertically for steam boost, it needs to be @ 130 degrees, give or take and short bursts of time. If on continuous steam, you need to fill water container constantly as it only irons limited items. You can switch between continuous steam and burst steam with the level button on top.

I’m not sure on all Tefal Irons, but when resting the iron in upright position it makes a static noise. At first, I thought it may be being new (same as the burnt smell until used a couple times) but it is ongoing. This doesn’t deter from the functionality of the iron.

Overall, I would recommend this iron. It cuts ironing time and for those who enjoy ironing it helps.

Clothing Material Cotton, Denim, Silk and Wool

Some serious power here!

Tefal have manufactured an outstanding iron. I can say that no other iron I've owned has removed denim creases as easily as this one. I'd say that's due to its 2400w of power. The continuous steam function is consistent, and to support it the iron has an ample tank to hold all the water it needs. On delicate fabrics, the power is stable and gentle and ironing is a simple task with this model.

What I like

It reaches temperature quickly! You're not waiting and waiting and starting a pair of jeans with a 'heating' iron. It just gets hot rapidly.

The production of steam reminds me of a steam train's chimney - it just keeps coming. Very useful for the stubborn creases.

The gliding action is smooth and the entire plate does the job it's supposed to. It even does those pesky corners on shirts nicely.

When standing, the iron has a large base feature that keeps it sturdy. It would be difficult to knock this iron over.

The sprayer is even and accurate.

The cord has more length than other irons.

What might bug you

If you're going to steam garments hanging up, the feature is awesome. The trigger is sensibly placed. Make sure the tank is full. But you probably won't be doing an entire load because of the iron's weight. It shoots out phenomenal pressurised steam but it gets heavy. Though that weight is essential for stubborn creases when ironing so you don't have to push the iron through the ironing board.

The best thing

The price! My previous iron was another brand's top of the line model costing twice the price of the tefal. Wow, top performance at half the cost. 99 bucks is awesome for something this powerful.

Purchased in January 2019 for $99.00.

Clothing Material Cotton and Denim

This is one of the best irons I have used!

Tefal FV5605 Steam Iron is truly an awesome iron. The result on various clothing materials is outstanding. The steam is powerful giving great results. Ergonomically works very well indeed. The base and the placement of the electrical cord and how it moves make the iron very stable when upright and easy to manoeuvre.

The iron looked excellent even before I opened the box. The box displayed powerful steam jets coming out of the iron and that was exactly what I was looking for. The iron did not disappoint and ironed the clothes in half the time of my usual iron. Earlier, I would have to manually spray water to iron but this iron eliminates the need to do that. Surprisingly lightweight but durable, the iron is definitely something I would recommend for busy mums who don’t want to spend ages ironing clothes.

This iron is the only iron you'll ever need. I hate ironing with a passion, but the Tefal FV5605 Steam Iron made ironing kind of fun and not as much of a chore like it used to be.

Thank you Tefal. Keep up the great innovations.

Purchased in January 2019 for $99.00.

Clothing Material Synthetics

A seriously good iron, but !

Out of the box, the Tefal TurboPro FV5605 looks great and has a sensible degree of weight to it. The first thing I noticed was how quickly it got to temperature. It feels safe while doing so on a very stable base, an excellent feature.
I felt the cord could be a little longer, perhaps just 30-40 cm. Our power point is right at the end of the kitchen bench, but that won't be the case for everyone.
This iron has all the steam options you could want, with no steam, the normal shot of steam out the front, plus a turbo feature shooting a powerful blast of steam directly from the baseplate which we use a lot. It has a decent water tank to support this feature.
The baseplate really is ultra smooth with a "Durilium" finish which glides easily over different fabrics and is probably my favourite feature of the iron. Combined with the steam from underneath, it makes the job much easier. The shape of the baseplate is also very practical getting into any tight spots with ease.
The omission of any small container (being included) to fill the iron with water was a little disappointing because for many people, this will be their first iron.
Maybe it's just me, but I like my user guides to have a few words and pictures, rather than just pictures. The difficulty here is obvious when you see where this iron is marketed to, around 35 countries. I did manage to work out the basics of operation, but this is not my first iron. There is a spring loaded valve assembly which needs to be soaked in lemon juice about once per month, beyond that, it's self cleaning if you use the right type of water (50% demineralised water from the supermarket and 50% tap water).
In conclusion, I really like this iron and think it's as good or better than any other I have owned. It looks very nice, feels solid, it's very practical and it irons more easily than any other I have owned, mainly due to the incredibly smooth non stick baseplate.
New news! …..update !
On only it's the second use, at the end of ironing, there were fine white dry particles on the ironing board and nearby benchtop. My wife and I concluded that it could only be some sort of calcium deposit which has been spat out in the form of water droplets while the iron was in use, possibly in the steam which keeps coming out when you lift the iron off the clothes. I retrieved the instructions from the drawer and as far as I can understand, you are supposed to empty the iron (of water) after each use. We didn't do that after it's first use, as we have never had to do that before, ever. If that's the result of not doing so, it's a waste of water (including demineralised water which you have to buy) after each ironing session. We did use the prescribed combination of tap and demineralised water (50%/50%), and so I'm very surprised that we could get calcification that soon. If it keeps repeating this (now that we have stored it empty), I'll update my review again.
I still think the iron is fantastic, but having to tip unused water down the sink is a real negative for us.
The last update for this review I promise. We are alternating between this iron and our old Braun just to further appreciate the differences. I still prefer the Tefal however there is an issue with it. Yesterday after having been emptied and sitting for a week or more (it should be dry inside so starting fresh with new water) it continued to spit out fine white particles onto the ironing board during use. I'm not going to go to the expense of having them analysed in a laboratory, but I can only think it must be some type of calcification. As stated before, we use the correct combination of demineralised and tap water and the quality of our town water is quite good, so it's quite a mystery. If not for this, I would have given this iron five stars.

Clothing Material Cotton, Denim, Synthetics and Wool