Toyo Open Country A/T II

See the Best 4WD Tyres in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

New wheels = better driving

After a recent service l needed 4 new tyres, not knowing which ones to choose l opted for a lesser known brand and am very satisfied with the quality, price and condition

Purchased in June 2018 for $660.00.

Tyre Mileage 24,000 km
Car ModelHyundai Accent
Tyre Pressure Used37 PSI
Off-Roading FrequencyYearly

Can't beat them

Have 265/65/17 toyo open country A/T on 07 Hilux, excellant in the wet, especially on a ute. Work well in sand without having to drop below 20psi. Very low road noise, still have coloured lines in tread and only about 10% wear after 35,000klm in 4yrs. Run them on 32psi and excellant ride and handling. Was going to swap to pirrelli for the new LDV Trailrider but will be sticking to my toyo open country.

Purchased in September 2015 for $1,000.00.

Tyre Mileage 35,000 km
Car ModelToyota HiLux MK7.I (2005-2008)
Tyre Pressure Used32 PSI
Off-Roading FrequencyMonthly
Dry Weather Handling

These tyres are the best I have used

I bought a Landcruiser 200 Series in 2013 to travel with our Off Road Caravan and cannot speak more highly on how these tyres have performed in all environments.. Having been put off buying the original Toyo Open Country AT due to a myriad of issues, I was really sceptical changing my Coopers but glad I did. What a tyre the Open Country II are. Done just over 100,000 kms and only recently had to change the rears due to cutting one of the tyres due to metal package strapping being left on the road. Necessitated buying 2 new tyres and changing the used fronts to the rear and the brand newies to the front and the older left over tyre to the spare wheel carriers to balance up the towing stability. Here we are 15 months down the track and the old rears have now done 140000kms and still going hard but due for change in approx 3-4 months. We have travelled from Perth to Bathurst V8s and return three times now, used the vehicle on soft beach sand, sharp hard rocky roads and on central desert rolling sand hills and these things just keep going. Having owned numerous 4x4's over 30 years fitted with Desert Duellers, Coopers, Dunlop Grand Treks and Bridgestone A/T's, the Toyo Open County II have been well ahead in all environments. I wouldn't buy any other 4x4 tyre now.

Purchased in June 2013 at Integrity Tyres Wangara Perth WA.

Car ModelToyota LandCruiser 200 VDJ200R GXL 8 Cylinder, 4.5 L Twin Turbo

Great A/T

Just over 15,000 kms in on a new set.
Great all round a/t tyre, have not let me down. Great on price when purchasing a set.
Also performs very well in the wet.

Purchased in September 2018 at Tyrepower for $1,000.00.

Tyre Mileage 15,000 km
Car ModelMitsubishi Triton MQ (2015-Present)
Tyre Pressure Used38 PSI
Off-Roading FrequencyMonthly

Awesome reliable tyres.

We have these on our Prado put on in May 2017@ 50,000 km we are Now showing 76,600km. I'm not into tyres but I do know I look for value and the all important safety and longevity so far I have no complaints made in Japan tread has barely worn comfortable on bitumen no noise on dirt a really great ride so that is my review nothing bad to say we will continue to use these they really are the business purchased for a great price @220 but as of December 2018 my son could only get them for 280 a tyre. Purchased in Tuggeranong transtate tyres.

CarToyota 2014 Prado

Best all terrain tyre in Australia

Have had BF Goodrich and Coopers, Toyo AT tyres kill the competitors in Km’s, quietness and excellent wearing. Would highly recommend simply don’t bother about anything else but Toyo AT. My driving is 50% Tar and 50% gravel in the Riverina these tyres are softer in the walls than the competitors and l have never had a puncture yet.

Car2016 Toyota 200 Series Landcruiser

Awesome tyres

After long research decided to give these a ago as factory ones fail after 22000kms. A few independent tires shop also recommended these.
So far loving these tires. Nice aggressive tread pattern and strong side walls. Maybe a little nosier than factory HT but not much. Handling wise great on both wet and dry on bitumen. Ride quality is also great not harsh. Fuel economy went up a little as expected. Can't comment on durability as yet still early days.

Definitely recommend Toyo OC AT2 if you are looking for ATs to upgrade.

CarMitsubishi Triton MQ

Great

This is great on wet weather long lasting very comfortable tyer for driving on great on dry and off road very affordable to some of the other big companies little noise and easy to driven in I would recommend to anyone looking to buy these there they are great.

CarNw pajero

Tread

Quiet and strong sides. Tyres have heaps of tread as new still at 6 months old. Happy with the purchase and will use Tyre sales for my 2 nd car as well. Read heaps before purchase which has not disappointed. I think the tyres will be good for 80-100k no probs

October 9th 2018 Update: Great value

Tyres in wet and dry conditions performed well. Tyres are very quiet and very deep tread. The car performs better (more stability due to sidewall ply) and drives well the tyres look durable and are just that, did some serious 4wd tracks last week and they did not disappoint , Gabba sabbath dooo

CarPrado 2011

Great tyres!

Bought OPAT 1 for 150 Series Prado at recommendation of Tyre Power dealer, as a mid range price but quality tyre. Used for highway commuting but would have done well above average off road on gibber, sand, limestone tracks and thousands of km’s of gravel roads and station tracks. Rotated (4 wheel) every 10-20,000km and always adjusted pressure to conditions. From memory had 2 punctures which were plugged, both from tek screws??? Had one alignment but only very minor adjustment. Ended up taking them off at 119,000 km, still legal tread but in middle of winter, so chickened out on going for 120,000km. Replaced with OPAT 2’s. Couldn’t be happier.

Car150 Series Toyota Prado.

Forced to buy these but turned out good buy

We were Forced to buy these but turned out good buy as our driveway is a mud drive up a hill our daugthers car needed them because the standard Toyota ones slid and stuck in the mud. These were all the tyre place had but got them for a good price and have really worked out well and handle well

CarToyota

So quiet on the road and excellent off road

Very impressed with the already smooth ride of my Landrover Discovery 3, now because of these Toyo Opat A/T's my ride is even smoother. It was a bonus that after doing research on this site, it was the reason i bought them and they, in comparison to the more expensive tyres on the market are extremely well priced!

CarLandrover Discovery 3 V8

Unbalanceable

Paid big dollars for 5 new tyres and 3 different tyre dealers including Ironcat in Kewdale couldn't balance them after 3 attempts.
The boss at Ironcat assertively reassured me they were balanced yet every time i used the highway the shaking would and still does occur.
At dead on 100km/h they cause vibration and lack of traction. Dangerous.
Ripped off !

CarNissan Navara

Agressive All Terrains - Awesome!

I was after some tyres that were one size bigger than standard on my Colorado 7. I also wanted deep chunky tread without going for a Mud Tyre. These ticked all of the boxes. They provide very good grip when off road and i can't fault the on road performance. There is a very small amount of road noise at high speed on hotmix tar, but thats about it.

Car2016 Colorado 7

Excellent long distance tyre

I love these tyres. I put them on my 78-series Troopy (skinny spilt-rims) just before heading off from Melbourne on a six month trip. My family and I have been up through the Territory, across the top of WA, down the coast, and are just about home after crossing the Nullabor. We're yet to have a problem with these tyres and haven't been stuck once. We've been on hard, rocky, dirt tracks, crossed creeks and rivers up in Kakadu, and been in pretty heavy beach sand in WA (20 psi), and as mentioned, the tyres have been excellent. They don't look like they've worn much over 20,000 kms. I'm thinking of buying the MT version for muddy Vic. tracks next year.

CarTroopy 78-series

the perfect tire

I am 53 years of age I have used a lot of tires I do a lot of traveling I have been running porelli's on the car I have today I have gotten 85000 ks out of one set of tyres rotation at every ten thousand ks wheel alignment and rotation at every 10.000 km perfect in the wet perfect in the dry and I am a hard driver and fast driver excellent I recommend it highly

Carvw tiguan /skoda octavia vsr

Best Tyre So Far

Very quiet and good wearing great for beach driving bag out well also great for rocky situations don't clear to bad in light mud and have balanced up well at every service so far done 40000ks and nearly half way through the tread not bad for a 3.5 ton vehicle....

CarToyota 200 series Cruiser

These are a great mid range priced tyre.

I fitted a set of these types recently and I was a little sceptical when i saw them on the 4WD as I thought that they may have been noisy due to their block design. I was absolute wrong in my fears. They are a great tyre, they are quieter at speed on the highway than my previous Goodyears, I feel that they are better in the wet, and are better stopping on a wet or dry road. cant comment on their off- road performance, as I use my 4WD for towing My 3.1 tonne Caravan

Car2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 ltr Diesel

So far so good

Toyota prado 120 series. 265/65 R17 tyres.
Currently toyo Open Country A/T II.
Very happy with them at this point.
Initially had the stock dunlops, which are widely known to squeal when the age. Swapped to Pirelli scorpians which performed really well in sand, road and dirt track work. Net Swapped to Cooper AT3 for a trip out to the simpson, lots of sandwork etc. Initially I was impressed with them offroad, however, when they got 30000km on them they became extremely dangerous on wet roads, shocking issues with understear going into corners particularly . Took them off and went to the toyos.
So far they have been great, really good on road in wet and dry, off road performance has been good. Better on gravel/mud/dirt than the coopers, possibly marginally worse in deep dry sand.
I liked the pirellis, for my take, better onroad performance than the toyos, although the toyos appear to be the better offroad.

November 15th 2017 Update: Open country tyres are great.

I put toyo open country at2 tyres on my Prado after being disappointed with the performance of Cooper at3s. The toyos had far better wet weather on road performance and generally better on road performance. Not prone to the horrible understeer problems of the coopers. We took a trip to the cape this year, ott, Frenchman's, Roma flats etc, the tyres performed really well. Thoroughly recommend.

CarPrado 120 series petrol

UNSAFE UNRELIABLE

I was a dedicated Toyo customer. Purchased first set in 1987 for trip through Aust. and up the cape. Never let me down. Another set, fantastic. 3rd set ,2 tyres blew with heaps of thread left. Went over to Kumho kl78 which had not let me down.
Dec 2015 tyre dealer talked me into going back to Toyo Open Country A/T11. 5 1/2 weeks ago one tyre developed a slow leak, which I inflated till I got it back to the dealer. To our amazement the inside of the tyre out of view has completely let go approx 2'' from around the rim.
Toyo have apparently inspected this tyre and have put it down to running on low pressure which is incorrect as they have been mostly on bitumen and a touch of dirt.The tyre in question has done approx 36593 km with plenty of thread still left.
To make matters worst another tyre has just developed another slow leak, but at this stage the inside of the tyre looks fine, which is a bit unnerving considering how the other one went.
As the tyre is supposed to be A/T I believe the tyre dealer asked the toyo rep as to how people get on that do beach driving where you have to let the pressures down. Apparently he got a vague response.
The tyre dealer and self are still waiting for a concrete answer from toyo and the tyre is now been shown to potential toyo customers.

Car2014 Toyota Landcruiser single cab