Toyota 86 ZN6

Toyota 86 ZN6 (2012-2019)

GT (2012-2019) and GTS (2012-2019)

See the Best Sports Cars in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Amazing 'bang for buck'

Wonderful car. Excellent handling, lots of extras. The boot can hold a lot (in particular if you have the version without a spare tyre!), and the rear seats fold down to make even more room. It has four seats, although you would not want to be in the back for anything other than a short trip. Average fuel economy (short trips) is under 10l per 100km which is not bad, and of course drops to 8 or less for long trips. It's not perfect - I get some noise from the driver side door/window seal, the radio head unit is ancient, there is an expensive service every few years when the spark plugs need to be replaced as the official method of doing it requires the engine to be dropped (if you search on youtube you will see people describing how it can be done without having to drop the engine), servicing is every 9 months rather than 12, interior is a bit plasticy - but overall I am really happy with the car.

Purchased in February 2017.

Noise Level
Interior Design
Boot Size
Features
Comfort

Serious fun. Reliability not to Toyota standard.

Bought this car as a toy in 2012. Does everything a classic sports car should. You won't win every drag at the lights but you'll have the biggest smile on your face when you get out. Had some issues with oil leaks. Only minor but annoying. Some fixed by Toyota others not. Seems all good now. It's noisy. Engine noise is what you want, but lot of road noise. If you want to travel long distances buy something else.

Purchased in December 2012 for $39,600.00.

Year2012
Interior Design
Boot Size
Features
Comfort

Battery is faulty and Toyota's attitude is deplorable

This car was 13 months old when the battery just died. I drove into a car park, left it for less than an hour and on my return the car just failed to start. I called Toyota and they couldn't help (they could send two tow trucks but I'd have to pay for it). I opted to join the NRMA and they were amazing. The battery was not working.
I had to pay a fee to join the NRMA and incurred the cost of a new battery because it was no longer working.
I wrote to Toyota and asked that they reimburse the cost of the battery, given a brand new battery should last longer than 13 months. They asked for the paperwork (invoice etc.) and I supplied it. They then refused to reimburse the cost because I could not provide them with the faulty battery. I had no idea that I would be required to provide this and I left it with the NRMA who have since disposed of it.
Batteries allegedly last 3-5 years if they're looked after. I serviced my vehicle in accordance with instructions. My car was and is well taken care of. The mechanic never advised of any issues. The battery just died.
Toyota's behaviour is what's hardest to take. You buy a car that's not exactly cheap and expect you have some rights. A non-faulty battery would last longer than 13 months.
Choose a car where the company will be reasonable with you.

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Best sports car on the road

Driving long distances, I needed a reliable car. I used to drive a Toyota Celica, but opted to update to a 2017 model Toyota 86. So glad I did. It's a little ripper... it's KY daily commute to and from work, and it's so comfortable I hardly know I'm driving a sports car. The seat warmers are a nice change on a cold winters morning while driving to work. There has been no recalls on this car so far..

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Watch the servicing costs !

I really liked this car for what it was, during my 12 months of ownership. In some ways it's what the British were trying to achieve with their small sports cars a few years ago. Frankly some of the reviews here are ridiculous and are not considering what the car is. It is a sports car, 2+2, low C of G, rear wheel drive, no fancy gimmicks, not overpowered. Perfect. Well not quite. You have to drop the engine to change the spark plugs so major services are expensive. And that exhaust noise in the cabin than you can hear.... It is not exhaust, it is a manufactured noise ducted from the intake system to a location near the pedals. You can block it off of you find out about like I did. And a Subaru boxer engine :-). Overall a great package.

Date PurchasedSep 2014

lacking Oomph

I thought it would be more powerful considering all the hooha that was made about it & being a Japanese company. I had a hatchback that had more power than this car. I will say that it is a solid car made by good quality material, sturdy. Just lacking power for a sports car.

Date PurchasedMar 2014

Love this car <3

Love this car! Its a Toyota so it will last forever!
Travel everyday from alkimos to FSH in it.
I has had a good run so far, and will hopefully last a very long time.

Running costs = very cheap for fuel, fuel lasts a long time in it.

Interior = the leather in my steering wheel is coming off which is the only down fall.

Date PurchasedNov 2016

Absolutely terrible vehicle

Driving Experience: Decent 0-60. It isn't slow. Handling sucks, lots of body roll with no steering feedback at all. Car feels very unsettled at above 25/30mph. Lots of road, tyre, and wind noise. The engine note is very clattery, like an early 2000's diesel. Weak & soft brakes. 1/10

Interior: It's okay. Not put together very well. Lots of rattles and cheap, easily scratched plastics. Comfy seats. The car is a little cramped for me and I am not a big person (5'8") Infotainment unit is nigh-on useless. 4/10

Reliability & running costs: Bad bad bad. No end of faults develop with the car and trying to get these fixed under warranty is a nightmare. Avg of 22mpg. Highest i've seen is 30mpg over a 2 and a half hour motorway trip. Drops down as low as 9mpg. Very high road tax. Warranty doesn't cover many faults so repair costs are high. Burnt through 2 sets of tyres in 6 months. 1/10

BadgeAero
Date PurchasedOct 2017

Perfect first car

Purchased the car in 2015 and I love it a lot. The car handles well and is good with fuel mileage too. However, the only downside is the small back seats and boot space. Not very functional if you want to carry 4 passengers around as it can get quite tight.

Date PurchasedNov 2015

Great sports car

Don't buy this car expecting it to be a drag machine. It's very much the definition of a sports car, handles well but thats about it. It's comfortable and while the back seats aren't really 'seats' at all, can be used when you really need them to. Aftermarket parts are also extensive so you can do whatever you want to the car easily.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Beautiful car, turns heads wherever you go!

This is a great car. Looks sleek and drives great. Definitely a head-turner. The only negative is the practicality. The boot is quite small and the back seats are not really suited to fully grown adults. But in saying that you do not buy a sports car for practicality. It is very fun to drive and has great fuel efficiency.

Date PurchasedAug 2017

Do Not Buy This Car!!!

Had the car less than 10 days and would not start. Back to the Dealership- battery replaced. Same day car would not start, back to the Dealership CLEARWATER TOYOTA. Now it seems there is a problem with the fuel delivery system, must pump the gas pedal while cranking the engine. When stopped it seem like it's going to stop if you don't give it some gas. The ride has certainly changed since I drove it off the lot-from the showroom it idles really rough. Now with 500 miles on it it's sitting in the Dealership repair shop for a week. They have had the car longer than I've had it in my possession. I fear I got a LEMON @30K. Only purchased it because it was a Toyota.

January 6th 2018 Update: Don't Buy This Car!!! Gt 86 Toyota 2017

Just off the showroom and back to the dealership Clearwater Toyota twice in less than a month. (<500 miles). This is a follow -up on previous post. First replaced battery-did not solve the problem of not starting and wants to stall when idling. Same day back for same problem. Repaired "Internal failure of fuel pump assembly". Returned with same problem in less than 10 days but Clearwater Toyota will not repair until corporate engineers can be consulted. This is a problem other owners are having as well. This car has intermittent problems cranking, struggles to engage when cranking and engages only afters p u m p I n g the gas pedal. When stopped in traffic attempts to stall and shakes vigorously. Now, again arrangements must be made to leave the car so corporate can be contacted. This car is a l e m o n, a leper so don't buy one and save yourself the grief and the $30k. Will up-date after the next attempt to "Fix the problem" that their master mechanic has been unable to address.

Badgedon't know
Date PurchasedDec 2017

Perfect Car

This is my first Sport Car. I am very happy with its performance. Price is reasonable as well. However there is no spare tyre. It happened once not long after my purchase that one of the tyres was broken and the repair kit did not work. Finally the car had to be towed for tyre replacement.

Date PurchasedNov 2016

Absolute pleasure car - fantastic!

For what it is, it gives you all the fun and pleasure without the expense of bigger cars. If you are looking for a practical family car this isn't for you. Its a car for people who don't care about having more than 1 passenger. It's not a car for the kids or grandkids - it's a car for you! The handling in corners and in the wet is fantastic. It has everything you need in the interior. If you haven't had seat heaters, try them - they are amazing! I absolutely love this car!

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Fun Fun Fun

If you are looking for a speed machine, this car is not for you. If you are looking for a cheap and affordable sports car that will give you a genuine driving experience than this is the car for you. Definitely isn't slow and you could easily still lose your licence. As you would expect from a 2L, it is very efficient on fuel even when you push it hard.

They have come down in price these days, definitely a buy <3

Date PurchasedMar 2015

What a fun car!

I bought the fully loaded GTS manual model when they first came out and had the 3rd one in Tasmania the bells and whistles are great, but the real beauty of this car is the drive. It grips the road unbelievably well, it goes like a dream. There are few negatives to this car, but why it didn't come with a reversing camera mystifies me, that was a bad oversight. The sales guy was keen for me to order an automatic but I laughed that idea off, why would you buy an automatic rear wheel drive sports car? The car does lack straight line speed and acceleration but it makes up for it in its handling around corners where it is a star. It will also cut out to protect the motor if you hammer it into a corner and then gear down, which was somewhat disconcerting the first time it happened as you lose traction.

Date PurchasedMay 2013

Great Handling

The handling creates a brilliant driving experience and the GTS model comes loaded with all the features you could ever need. The back seats fold down which allows for plenty of cargo room and even fits my snowboards. Back seats are usable for those 5 foot 10 and under. Very good on fuel (averaging 7.5 liters per 100km) but there is a fair bit of road noise due to little sound insulation.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

i love this car

This is a sport car so dont expect it has all functions. I love this car as it is sporty and affordable. Not overly expensive and meets all criteria of a sport car. Even though it has the same as Subaru, i think it worth more than Subaru BRZ. Never regret.

Date PurchasedMay 2015

Love it

If you love driving the Toyota 86 is a great little car that is relatively cheap to own.
The handling of the car is phenomenal. The car corners like its on rails with minimal body roll. The feel through the steering is very good. You know precisely what the front wheels are doing.

The factory fitted 16" Yokohama tyres on the GT aren't the best for grip IMHO. I've upgraded to the factory 17" wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres. This makes a vast improvement to the grip. No more oversteering ! I would also recommend getting a full size spare wheel for the car. Standard they come with a tyre repair kit which is pretty useless if you have a blown out sidewall. There's a slot in the boot to fit either a space saver or the full size alloy wheel.

I bought my 2015 model car used with 20,000 km and so far it has been very reliable. It also comes with Toyota fixed price servicing so the services are relatively cheap for the 1st 3 years. The MY16 GT model comes with a few nice touches that the earlier models didn't (Reverse camera, electric folding mirrors, digital speedo etc)

The owners manual recommends Premium 98 unleaded petrol which is about 20 cents/litre more expensive then regular unleaded. So the 50 litre tank will cost you about an extra $10 to fill.

A lot of people poo poo the performance of the 86 but to me its fine. Sure there are much faster cars 0-100 km/h but its not a pissing contest so who cares. It accelerates pretty well IMHO. Search youtube "Chris Harris Toyota 86" to see what its all about.

The shape of the car is very sleek and its low to the ground. If you have a bad back or weak knees you won't like the 86. The interior of the car is a bit drab, its all black and certainly not like most modern hatchbacks. The rear seats are pretty useless for anyone over 1 metre tall but they can be folded flat to increase the boot space.

All in all I love the car. Its just a hoot to drive.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Toyota 86 experience

Bought this car and can I say it's amazing. Performance is better than expected and handling is a dream come true. Able to do twist and turns with ease on the mountains. Downside is the torque dip on 3rd gear but this can be fixed with a custom tune. Dashboard can be a bit better as well as it is laggy. Running costs is not that cheap if you are tracking it or driving like a race car. If a daily car, you will probaly average around 9L per 100km. Overall for the price range, I would recommend if you are looking for a budget NA sports car.

Date PurchasedMar 2015

My 1st/2nd - 3rd/2nd gate, still crunches especially when cold even tho' the service people at 1000km & 10000km say it will get better. I'm at 14000 now and the improvement is very marginal. As most of my driving is short distance, I would appreciate any advice on this matter, it is a daily occurrence and very annoying and probably not good for the vehicle.
Hi Andrew, I am not experiencing this problem. I wouldn't stand for any "it will get better" nonsense. Get them to sort it out especially as the car is still under warranty.Hi Andrew, it sounds like you are experiencing the same issues with your 86 as I was and from what I had researched a few others. I really don't know whether these gearbox issues are isolated and if there is a long term solution. Personally, If I had kept my 86 and was determined to find a fix to this problem, I would visit a reputable performance tuning specialist that modifies and specialises in 86/BRZ's and talk to them and get their opinion. I'm not sure if you're from Sydney but Tune House in Marickville or MRT in Rhodes might be your best bet in understanding whats going on. Might be well worth a visit. Anyway good luck with it, if you decide to go in that direction I'd like to know what their diagnostics are! I'm currently looking for a RWD sports car once again and a second hand 86 in on my radar, this way i can test the box before I end up with the car. If the gate is remotely the same as my previous 86 and scalped from my list, I'll have to consider a low km, 350Z, RX8, or even a sweet shifting MX5 or S2000 regardless of age. It would be ashamed because the 86 is such a great package and ticks so many boxes.Hi Andrew - I experienced similar transmission issues with my 86 (3rd to 4th) crunch and rattle. The Toyota dealership changed my transmission fluid and the problem is now gone. It might worth giving that a try. Apart from that, the transmission in this car is absolutely appalling and they should probably look at recalling all of them. Good luck.

To David Taylor Say Dave do you actually own or have owned an 86GT? I can only assume that you haven't, because you wouldn't make rubbish statements about how many of them are on the second hand market. So what? I don't see the point. There are 10,000 VT commodores on the second hand market. Are you saying they are a rubbish car?
Hi , according to car sales, 279 VT and VT 2 commodores are for sale on the market. Not a bad figure as it's less than the combined Subaru BRZ , 259 cars for sale and Toyota 86 , 392 cars for sale ....and way more commodore VT s were manufactured and sold than that car. Now how did you arrive at 10 000? So it seems, not surprisingly, it's got worse than when I wrote the the post. I've driven one, Toyota 86, and I own an Audi TT.Product Review has asked me to respond to this question. My answer to the question of whether a car is rubbish according to how many used examples are on the used car market is that I don't necessarily believe that this is an indicator of a car's quality. I do believe however that some people who buy the GT86 "think" they want to own a sports car but what they really want is a sports looking car that rides rides, drives, and behaves like a good modern day refined passenger/luxury car. Eg low end torque, quiet cabin, insulation from external noise, buttery compliance. The GT86 is not that car, it is however a raw competent sports car meaning the main objective is chassis balance and dynamics, "feel" (communication to the driver of what is happening under the tires) and to certain degree performance. The GT86 was designed to be used hard meaning the engine needs to be wound right up near the red line and if you have never driven a car or wish to drive a car "hard" (above 8/10ths)then it's probably going to make you feel a little disappointed. Toyota/Subaru makes no apologies in making a car like this and fair enough. Even though it will do all the normal car duties its design brief is VERY specific to hard corner carving and wringing the engine out and needs to be experienced on a closed circuit to be properly appreciated, which most people won't or rarely do. If you want more of an all rounder look elsewhere this is a proper old school sports car. If you know exactly what your getting with the GT86 and really want to drive a car at 10/10th at some point YOU WILL LOVE IT ;)

Can ANYBODY tell me what it is like driving long distance. I have to drive over 1000 Km every few months on BUSH roads. Can it be as comfortable as my 2001 Celica. It absorbs the horrid roads without crashibg thru potholes and does not squeak or rattle. And the A/C is great. What about it people, IS IT A LONG DISTANCE DRIVER??
Hi Antz, the GT 86 is a real sports car and the suspension is fairly stiff; having said that it is a very economical car 6L /100, it has great bucket seats that support and cushion, the AC hardly drags power when on. You will love it on a the Highway but if country roads are windy you would love the handling of the corners. It is designed for agility and speed and it's a drivers car. Just sheer pleasure even after a year and a half later!Hi Antz Mara is correct, it has very stiff suspension. It goes great around corners on sealed roads and just eats up the highway, but if you are looking for a car that will absorb bumps and potholes on dirt roads, this car isn't for you. Go for the Nissan 370Z instead.

GT ManualGT AutomaticGTS ManualGTS Automatic
Starting Price $35,729$38,098$41,085$43,454
TransmissionManualAutomaticManualAutomatic
Drive TypeRear Wheel Drive (RWD)Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)
Fuel TypePetrolPetrolPetrolPetrol
Fuel Consumption8.4 L/100km7.1 L/100km8.4 L/100km7.1 L/100km
Fuel Tank Capacity 50 L50 L50 L50 L
Engine4 Cylinder, 2.0L4 Cylinder, 2.0L4 Cylinder, 2.0L4 Cylinder, 2.0L
Max Power152kW @ 7000rpm147kW @ 7000rpm152kW @ 7000rpm147kW @ 7000rpm
Max Torque212Nm @ 6400-6800rpm205Nm @ 6400-6800rpm212Nm @ 6400-6800rpm205Nm @ 6400-6800rpm
Country of ManufactureJapanJapanJapanJapan
Safety Features ABS (Antilock Braking System), Reversing Camera, Seat Belt Reminders and Traction ControlABS (Antilock Braking System), Reversing Camera, Seat Belt Reminders and Traction ControlABS (Antilock Braking System), Reversing Camera, Seat Belt Reminders and Traction ControlABS (Antilock Braking System), Reversing Camera, Seat Belt Reminders and Traction Control
Extra Features Bluetooth Connectivity, Built-In Navigation System, Immobilizer and USB PortBluetooth Connectivity, Built-In Navigation System, Immobilizer and USB PortBluetooth Connectivity, Built-In Navigation System, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Immobilizer, Keyless Entry and USB PortBluetooth Connectivity, Built-In Navigation System, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Immobilizer, Keyless Entry and USB Port
Manufacturer Warranty3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)
Release dateJun 2012Jun 2012Jun 2012Jun 2012