2Toyota 86 ZN6
Part of Toyota 86 4.1

Toyota 86 ZN6 (2012-2020)

2Toyota 86 ZN6

Features

Matt
Matt11 posts
  GTS Automatic

This car slaps hard, it’s increased my drift points by hundreds! In all seriousness quality car, never had issues, had since day 1 about 10 years ago Show details
solfan
solfan50 posts
  GTS Manual
Overall
Noise Level
NGL
NGLGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC11 posts

Fun to drive

Seriously this car is so fun to drive, very reliable, and very slick. It's a car that's an alternative to the family car I have, great to drive, and great throttle response. My only issue with the car is the setup of Bluetooth. Probably the worst setup in any car I have owned. Very difficult to initially connect, needed the manual book to do so, as to find the connection part is placed in a place that dose not make sense, making it difficult to locate. Should be easier, not sure what they were thinking. Show details
Overall
Noise Level
joey k.
joey k.South East Queensland, QLD
ninkasi
ninkasiMelbourne79 posts
  GTS Manual
Overall
Noise Level
Halo
HaloPerth, WA6 posts
  86 ZN6 GTS

Serious fun. Reliability not to Toyota standard

Bought this car as a toy in 2012. Does everything a classic sports car should. You won't win every drag at the lights but you'll have the biggest smile on your face when you get out. Had some issues with oil leaks. Only minor but annoying. Some fixed by Toyota others not. Seems all good now. It's noisy. Engine noise is what you want, but lot of road noise. If you want to travel long distances buy something else. Show details
vicsatester
vicsatesterSydney, NSW6 posts
Carbarandmar
CarbarandmarSydney, NSW5 posts
  GTS Manual

Best sports car on the road

Driving long distances, I needed a reliable car. I used to drive a Toyota Celica, but opted to update to a 2017 model Toyota 86. So glad I did. It's a little ripper... it's KY daily commute to and from work, and it's so comfortable I hardly know I'm driving a sports car. The seat warmers are a nice change on a cold winters morning while driving to work. There has been no recalls on this car so far..

testdriver
testdriverMetropolitan Adelaide, SA62 posts
  GT Manual

Watch the servicing costs !

I really liked this car for what it was, during my 12 months of ownership. In some ways it's what the British were trying to achieve with their small sports cars a few years ago. Frankly some of the reviews here are ridiculous and are not considering what the car is. It is a sports car, 2+2, low C of G, rear wheel drive, no fancy gimmicks, not overpowered. Perfect. Well not quite. You have to drop the engine to change the spark plugs so major services are expensive. And that exhaust noise in the cabin than you can hear.... It is not exhaust, it is a manufactured noise ducted from the intake system to a location near the pedals. You can block it off of you find out about like I did. And a Subaru boxer engine :-). Overall a great package.

Mary
MaryGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC12 posts

lacking Oomph

I thought it would be more powerful considering all the hooha that was made about it & being a Japanese company. I had a hatchback that had more power than this car. I will say that it is a solid car made by good quality material, sturdy. Just lacking power for a sports car.

Amy
Amyperth WA, 60389 posts

Love this car <3

Love this car! Its a Toyota so it will last forever!

Travel everyday from alkimos to FSH in it.

I has had a good run so far, and will hopefully last a very long time.

Running costs = very cheap for fuel, fuel lasts a long time in it.

Interior = the leather in my steering wheel is coming off which is the only down fall.

Jack
Jack
  86 ZN6
Carrie.chen
Carrie.chenSydney5 posts

Perfect first car

Purchased the car in 2015 and I love it a lot. The car handles well and is good with fuel mileage too. However, the only downside is the small back seats and boot space. Not very functional if you want to carry 4 passengers around as it can get quite tight.

Gabriel
GabrielMelbourne5 posts
  GT Manual

Great sports car

Don't buy this car expecting it to be a drag machine. It's very much the definition of a sports car, handles well but thats about it. It's comfortable and while the back seats aren't really 'seats' at all, can be used when you really need them to. Aftermarket parts are also extensive so you can do whatever you want to the car easily.

Ashleigh
Ashleigh6 posts
  GT Automatic

Beautiful car, turns heads wherever you go!

This is a great car. Looks sleek and drives great. Definitely a head-turner. The only negative is the practicality. The boot is quite small and the back seats are not really suited to fully grown adults. But in saying that you do not buy a sports car for practicality. It is very fun to drive and has great fuel efficiency.

Hannah N.
Hannah N. · GTS Manual (2012-2020)

Hey guys.

I'm looking at buying a Toyota 86 GTS manual.
It has a fair few extras on it and it sounds a great.
It's only got just over 70 000 km on it and it looks like it's in really good nic.

I have done so much research on them but to sum it up the Toyota 86 GTS is not like a Hilux it hasn't been around for years and years so it's hard to try find the long-term practicality or full engine life.

When we went to test drive the car yesterday afternoon we found out that the guy who owns it has thrashed it in the time that he has had it.

My partner and I have researched them and we have read that on the racetrack those models get absolutely thrashed and they will have a lifespan of a round 150 000 to 175 000 km if looked after well and his seems to have been looked after.

Now I fell in love with this car when I took it for a test drive but because it was driven pretty hard I'm just not sure of its reliability.
Obviously Toyota have a great reputation for reliability in general again this is a relatively new car.

Just wanting to hear your opinions out there obviously it's more like a sports car so it's meant to be driven a bit more hard than your general Toyota Camry or something, but should I be worried if I continue treating it well will it last me 2 to 3 years or more?

Andrew
Andrew · 86 ZN6 (2012-2020)

My 1st/2nd - 3rd/2nd gate, still crunches especially when cold even tho' the service people at 1000km & 10000km say it will get better. I'm at 14000 now and the improvement is very marginal. As most of my driving is short distance, I would appreciate any advice on this matter, it is a daily occurrence and very annoying and probably not good for the vehicle.

Phil B
Phil B

Hi Andrew,

I am not experiencing this problem. I wouldn't stand for any "it will get better" nonsense. Get them to sort it out especially as the car is still under warranty.

BayBay
BayBay
Rob
Rob · 86 ZN6 (2012-2020)

To David Taylor

Say Dave do you actually own or have owned an 86GT? I can only assume that you haven't, because you wouldn't make rubbish statements about how many of them are on the second hand market. So what? I don't see the point. There are 10,000 VT commodores on the second hand market. Are you saying they are a rubbish car?

David Taylor

Compare all Toyota 86 listings
CategorySports CarsSports CarsSports CarsSports Cars
Starting Price $49,694$47,439$49,694$47,439
Warranty Distance Unlimited kmsUnlimited kmsUnlimited kmsUnlimited kms
Drive TypeRear Wheel Drive (RWD)Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)
Fuel TypePetrolPetrolPetrolPetrol
Wheels18" Alloy17" Alloy18" Alloy17" Alloy
ANCAP Safety Rating5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars
Doors 2222
Seats 4444
Fuel Consumption9.5 L/100km8.7 L/100km8.8 L/100km9.4 L/100km
Fuel Tank Capacity 50 L50 L50 L50 L
Engine2.4L 4 Cylinder Boxer2.4L 4 Cylinder Boxer2.4L 4 Cylinder Boxer2.4L 4 Cylinder Boxer
Engine CodeFA24FA24FA24FA24
Max Power174kW @7 000174kW @7 000174kW @7 000174kW @7 000
Max Torque250Nm @ 3700250Nm @ 3700250Nm @ 3700250Nm @ 3700
Country of ManufactureJapanJapanJapanJapan
Acceleration (0-100km/h) 6.3 seconds6.8 seconds6.8 seconds6.3 seconds
Manufacturer Warranty5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)
Dimensions