Toyota Prado J150

Toyota Prado J150 (2009-2021)

Also referred to as: Toyota Prado J150 2020 and Toyota Prado J150 2022. GXL, VX, Altitude, etc...
See the Best Large / 7 Seater SUVs in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Listing monitored by Toyota

• Comfort
  • Features
Bob of gulf point
Bob of gulf pointMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Bought in 2014 to tow caravan around the country. COVID has in fact restricted it to under 100,000. Only repair was strut holding back door open expired. It’s light on diesel but a bit expensive to service every six months. I took out extra new car warranty which will run for nine years. After that I’ll go to 10,000 services.
Best car I’ve had in sixty years owning.

Purchased in November 2014 for $58,000.00.

Crissy
CrissySydney Surrounds, NSW

THE best car

I purchased this car new in 2015. I have travelled all over, with absolutely no issues at all. Reliable, comfortable and easy. Birdsville, country, NT.
Servicing is every 5000km
I have contemplated getting a new car (BMW) but scared to get rid of an older faithful.
My only issue now is prado prices have gone up and not much of a change in design. Since 2015 they have gone up $15k!!!! Value for money?!? NO!!!!! Sorry Toyota, love the car but value for money isn’t there this time.

Purchased in June 2015.

Rocky road
Rocky road

Satisfied with smaller Toyota

Purchased from CMI Southside with Aaron Tartoosy who looked after our build by keeping us informed. Was an excellent dealer, I will deal with them again. The presentation of our Kakadu was terrific.

Purchased in June 2021.

ElizaFi
ElizaFiSydney Surrounds, NSW

Love My Prado.

We bought the Prado to tow our campertrailer, I was driving a Honda CRV, however the CRV did not have the power we needed to tow. We wanted a car to have the room to take our 3 Labradors away camping too. I use the Prado for work, I am a Community Care Aide, most of my clients are able to access the car comfortably. The Prado is big and comfortable inside, my Mechanic services the Prado twice a year. No major problems.

Purchased in August 2019 for $40,000.00.

Emilio H.
Emilio H.Ngunnawal 2913, ACT

Vibration Centred at 1800rpm (misfire?)

Purchased in December 2016 at canberra toyota for $63,000.00.

Noise Level
Faheem
FaheemSydney, NSW

Wow ...What a feel...

Santhosh
SanthoshSydney, NSW

New Prado VX 2021 WoooW Experience

Purchased in January 2021.

Smart shopping tips to help you make the most of Black Friday sales

Clara V.

Cameron S.
Cameron S.12 Jan 2021
our-latest-expert-car-reviews

Bad vibration at 1500rpm. Toyota says it's normal

I bought a new 2020 GXL Prado in December 2020. From the first day I picked it up I noticed a vibration/shudder at about 1500-1700rpm. Took it back to the dealer who got Toyota technical people out to look at it. They agreed the car had a vibration/shudder, and I asked for the vehicle to be replaced.
Toyota Australia have said that ALL Prados do it and they consider it is not a fault.
Toyota customer service is terrible. I have owned Toyota vehicles for 40 years and never had a problem, but now that a vehicle has an issue, they run away.
Don't buy a toyota vehicle unless you drive it first.
Toyota do not stand behind their products.

bizins
bizinsSouth East Queensland, QLD

Updated 150kw engine completes the appeal

Purchased in September 2020 for $69,000.00.

Kate
KateWestern Australia

Waste of too much money

Purchased in November 2019 at Toyota bunbury for $66,000.00.

Cammo1971
Cammo1971

Toyota has lost its way

Purchased in May 2019 for $70,000.00.

Victor
VictorSydney, NSW

Purchased in August 2019 at Toyota Dealers.

Jack H.
Jack H.South East Queensland, QLD

The most reliable car ever made

Car was purchased at 88000kms, drove till 115000kms, service as required. Went off road on occasions, never disappointed me. Sold the car after 2.5 years, price depreciated 5000 in total. I mean I could sell it for 1500 more but was eager to get my next car, so just agreed to the first offer. Sold within 4 days of posting ads on carsales. If your looking for something reliable with good resale value or good for off road, don't go chasing butterflies after land rovers, get Toyotas and mission accomplished.

Purchased in February 2018.

steven
stevenSydney, NSW

Crack Piston at 118,000km

Purchased in June 2015 for $70,000.00.

Satish kumar
Satish kumarPerth, WA

It's like a lemon

Bought second hand prado from maddington Toyota Perth. Done only 97k. I thought would be good car. But turns out it's like a lemon. Rear door is loose, even been to Toyota dealership 3 times. Its just rattle they couldn't fix it. Not really happy with Toyota response in it.

Purchased in October 2019 at Toyota Dealers for $46,000.00.

Lou0155
Lou0155asked
J150 GXL 4 Cylinder, 2.8 Litre Automatic (2015-2021)

Does anyone have a surging issue around 1400-1600 Rpm light throttle / cruise ? we have this issue that Toyota has nothing about but mentions other owners have it as well ? also putting the vehicle into gear it jumps forward and requires brakes to hold it .
This is a Nov 2020 Prado GXL Auto Diesel only has 5K on it

Tony Hasked
J150 (2009-2021)

Hi - anybody had an issue with rust? I took delivery of a new VX Prado in May this year. Done 2000 km. Never taken it off road or on the beach but the muffler/tail pipe is rusty, and the chassis frame also has some serious rust spots showing through. Toyota are saying 'not a manufacturing defect'.

Devonstone
Devonstone

Depends on what you mean by serious rust spots, has the paint come off, is the surface metal pocked?Mufler tail pipe? which is it? The tail ,pipe end will become discolored with the heat from the exhaust gases, suggest you get a professional view from the RAC or the like. In my 18 years of owning Toyota 4WD never seen this even with 385,000k on my 2004 200 Sahara sold to a friend in 2016.

Tony H

thanks for the feedback. Not sure I can post a photo here, but the muffler looks like it got leopard spots all over it and the chassis has some paint off with the rust coming through. I had a 2009 Kluger that I just sold and its muffler and underbody didnt look as bad as this. I'm worried that in 5 years the rust will be very serious

Josh d.
Josh d.asked
J150 (2009-2021)

Has Anyone dealt With Toyota Australia about a engine replacement due to a blown cylinder, its not under warranty but seems to be a common problem with the 150 prado

See all Toyota Prado J150 (2009-2021) questions

Get an answer from our members and Toyota representatives

Toyota Prado J150 (2009-2021)

Compare all 23 Toyota Prado
CategoryLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVs
Starting Price $73,990$84,490$59,990$62,990
TransmissionAutomaticAutomaticManualAutomatic
Drive TypeFour Wheel Drive (4WD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)
Fuel TypeDieselDieselDieselDiesel
Wheels18" Alloy18" Alloy17" Alloy17" Alloy
ANCAP Safety Rating5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars
Fuel Consumption8 L/100km8 L/100km7.9 L/100km8 L/100km
Fuel Tank Capacity 150 L150 L150 L150 L
Engine4 Cylinder 2.8L4 Cylinder 2.8L4 Cylinder 2.8L4 Cylinder 2.8L
Max Power130kW @ 3400rpm130kW @ 3400rpm130kW @ 3400rpm130kW @ 3400rpm
Max Torque450Nm @ 1600-2400rpm450Nm @ 1600-2400rpm420Nm @ 1400-2600rpm450Nm @ 1600-2400rpm
Country of ManufactureJapanJapanJapanJapan
Maximum Towing Capacity (braked)3,000 kg3,000 kg2,500 kg2,500 kg
Maximum Towing Capacity (unbraked)750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg
Manufacturer Warranty3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)
Release dateJan 2015Jan 2015Jan 2015Jan 2015