Toyota Prius NHW20R

Toyota Prius NHW20R (2003-2009)

See the Best Hatchbacks in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

OP83

OP83AU

Love it

We have been Toyota Prius owners since 2010. Throughout that time it has been great. We have to fill the car up with petrol far less than with our previous car. Very fuel efficient.

Purchased in May 2010.

Year2005

Tom

Tommelbourne

capable, efficient, smooth, quiet and surprisingly fun

Great car, fun to see how the regen and battery storage work as you're driving along. Always gets 5l/100 for us. Actually my favourite car to drive so far, and more powerful than you think once both the petrol and electric motors come on together. Smart efficient driving, what more could you want. And with regen braking, you get better stopping force and hardly ever have to change a brake pad.

BadgeZR

BadgeHybrid
Date PurchasedNov 2012
Seamus

SeamusWollongong

A Twitchers Car, if you love HO model railways and like to sneak up on pedestrians or cyclists

BadgeNo Badge
Date PurchasedMay 2016

S Wag

S WagBrisbane

Great car, low running costs, great technology

Bought car at auction in 2009, it was 1 year old. 8 years later i have spent nothing on repairs apart from the standard service, 2 sets of tyres and 1 $80 starter battery. Fantastic for city driving, goes great on the open road and excellent air conditioning when driving out west. Done 210,000 km and still getting 4.8 litres per 100 km. Still on the original hybrid battery and going strong. Will upgrade soon and buy another prius. Its the least trouble i have had with a car and i have been driving for 29 years.

Date PurchasedSep 2009

PG18

PG18Melbourne

Perfect

I have had my Toyota Prius I Tech for seven years and I absolutely love it. I do not have to fill it up with petrol very often due to its effective use of fuel. It is also very spacious inside with a high roof. I couldn't live without my Prius.

Engine Size1.8
Date PurchasedMay 2010

Storm

StormPerth

Amazing! Reliable! Cheap to run!

BadgeSX
Date PurchasedJul 2011

Peter from the Tweed

Peter from the TweedTweed

We've driven it 'into the ground'

Badge.
TransmissionCVT
Date PurchasedNov 2004

HybridfreakSydney

Prius Battery Life 2nd Time Around

On my Prius when the battery was finished the car did not stop, did not require a tow truck. Just the alarm came on the dash board, the battery charged full and discharge again totally within a few km. Most noticeable the battery cooling fan run permanently (non stop). I managed to drive to Prius Battery Exchange Australia in Rydalmere (Sydney) and they put a reconditioned battery in. They kept the old one.

Badge0

Stefan

Is the Prius really green and does Toyota care about its Prii customers?

Stefan

I've since had to replace the battery pack and pay for it myself as I had no other option. I was shocked to learn that the new Toyota battery pack only has a warranty period of 12 months (???!!!).

Namita

NamitaMelbourne

a great car

We're extremely happy with our 2004 prius that we've had for 4 years, which has done 153,000ks since we bought it. We estimate that we've saved $7500 in fuel compared with driving a similar car with a conventional engine. Maintenance costs have been low, and the existing big battery pack is still doing well. We're still able to get 4.8lt per 100ks, when we're easy on the acceleration, 5.1lt at other times, which is country driving. Efficiency is better in urban areas. Our bikes fit in the back. Quiet, reliable, roomy and pleasurable to drive.

My Display name

My Display namebrisbane

unbelievable

Have had a prius for 5 years and have --- bought it as a used car at a government auction on a whim
i am utterly impressed with every aspect of this car even forgetting the fuel economy, it has been completly reliable and has not missed a beat, i currently use it as a workhorse carting building materials arround, i have put almost a tonne in the rear, this car has put up with my abuse and still comes up smiling ---- recommend to everyone
everything
you dont look cool in it and its a bit ugly

teamlg

teamlgMelbourne

A little ripper

justin.mcleod.5
justin.mcleod.5

How much did the battery cost to get replaced?

BruceCameron
BruceCameron

Julie B.asked

Just purchased a used 2009 Prius but was told as I drove off to make sure i top up the oil really regularly, like every month as it uses heaps! Anyone able to elaborate what might be going on here, i will get it serviced asap but wonder if i've bought a very expensive lemon?

All engines use some oil, even when new. We’ve got the same car, it will go from full on the didpstick to halfway down the dipstick between services, which is more than I’m used to but certainly not an issue on a car with some kilometres on it. Just make sure to check the oil level every week

G.Y. Land
G.Y. Land

It is always good to check your oil level on every car. The Prius makes no difference. If you are not sure your nearest Toyota service department is only too happy to help you. If you have purchased your car from a private seller, that is always of a great risk as you do not have any guaranty on the car. It looks like the guaranty has just run out as there is a 10-year guaranty on the battery system of the Prius. Ask your Toyota service to get an extended guaranty agreement for a further 5 years as it is cheaper and gives you peace of mind. I have no association with Toyota or Lexus, but I am a devoted Toyota friend as to the quality and reliability of the cars. I drove a top of the range Lexus since 1992 and had three of them over the years and changed over to a Prius. This was a good decision as to the environmental and financial value of the car. Happy motoring. I do it for 68 years.

Julie B.

Thank you for you advise, taken on board.

Edwardasked

What should I choose between 2nd gen Prius iTech and 3rd gen base grade? The differences between 2nd and 3rd gen? Thanks

Hybridfreak

I never drove a Gen 3. I hear they use sightly less fuel.
My Gen 2 high tech is a dream and did not cost much.
80 percent of all Prii are Gen 2 except Taxis

Edwardasked

Hi, I'm seriously think of buying 2006 Prius itech model with really low kms(90k). Owner said the battery pack was already replaced in the last recall back in March when it was still in 8 year warranty. How much is that worth and what should I be afraid of owning this hybrid vehicle? Thank you.

Hybridfreak

Do own a Hybrid is the best yon can have if you are energy minded,
I have 2 , a 2005 Prius and a 2014 Prius C.
I am not aware that there was ever a recall on the HV battery, People would talk about it.
From Toyota it costs $ 3888.-- for a new Battery installed with a 1 year warranty.
You can get reconditioned Batteries for less than $ 2000.-- also with a warranty.
Low milage is good and bad as the battery last longer if worked hard .
2006 Prius are quite inexpensive on the second hand market.
I trust this assists with the decision to be made.

Edward

Thank you, Hybrid. Could you also advise me what to look out and what to ask to owner when I make inspection to that car?

Get an answer from our members and Toyota representatives

CategoryCars and Hatchbacks
Starting Price $37,400
TransmissionContinuously Variable (CVT)
Drive TypeFront Wheel Drive (FWD)
Fuel TypeHybrid