TP-Link Archer VR1600v

TP-Link Archer VR1600v

3.4

• Number of Connected Devices 5.778 devices (27)
  • Ease of Setup
  • Wi-Fi Range
  • Reliability
cadam

cadamGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

MODEM/ROUTER GAVE POOR SPEEDS UNTIL......

Got this through TPG in May 2020 when we upgraded to NBN 100 since we were all working/schooling from home due to Covid-19. Had nothing but poor speeds from May until today, 31 July. Most times speeds were 10Mbps or less throughout the day and night, with apps constantly requiring reconnects, poor quality using AppleTV.

After multiple phone calls, being left on hold for 3 HOURS, being told there was no issue with the line, finally got someone who confirmed the modem was faulty. Now getting what we paid for, finally!

Purchased in May 2020.

ISPTPG Broadband NBN 100

Excellent & Stronger wifi signal

Very easy to set up & works well . Tried others and the vr600v is also Excellent. IINET Router is ok but just does the job with weaker wifi . Whatever floats your boat I suppose.

Purchased in June 2020 at TPG.

Mel

MelPerth, WA

Generally works well

This one came with nbn through iinet. For the most part it works well however a few weeks ago i had a few dropouts. I don't know if it was the modem or just the increase in traffic, but iinet have sent a new modem anyway.

Purchased in April 2020.

Number of Connected Devices 2 devices

NeilMelbourne

fast when close but range is terrible

Purchased in May 2020.

Number of Connected Devices 15 devices
ISPiiNet NBN 100

Carol SusanneSydney, NSW

Modem or NBN the problem?

I can only get on the internet now and then as it is more than slow, it doesn't have any speed most of the time. Can't do online banking or check mail when I need to. NBN said they have no problem with the area and TPG said it shows as working from their end. The few times I am able to get on the internet, it works at same speed as my ADSL I had with TPG for ages. No one can help me and I am paying $69.99 per month for minimal service. They said may be able to send another modem out but it will be the same model and probably same problem.

Purchased in March 2020.

Number of Connected Devices 1 devices
ISPTPG Broadband
Flightstar59

Flightstar59Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

WiFi range is terrible

Speed is great, features are great, but the wifi range is really bad. Used a TP-Link RE650 range extender before downstairs with ASUS RT-AC5300 without any issues, but now the VR1600v wifi signals cannot reach it. The short wifi range really puts this router down to the level of "unaccpetable".

Purchased in December 2019.

Number of Connected Devices 15 devices
ISPTPG Broadband Fibre To The Building (FTTB)
Paul N.

Paul N.Sydney, NSW

Bad Modem.

Bad router. nothing else to say. both 2.4 and 5ghz are crap. Still waiting for TPg to reply to see if I need a new one or not. Modem placed in living room and two bedrooms (8-10 metres from Modem) aren't getting any wifi.

Purchased in September 2019.

Jie Yan

Jie YanGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Our first two were defective

TPG/iiNet sent us two defective VR1600v, both could not broadcast the standard WIFI nor connect the VoIP correctly, even though these settings should have been stock from TPG/iinet.

The 3rd arrived and was setup quickly with no issues since. The WiFi isn't the strongest, just decent enough for a 2-bedroom apartment.

Purchased in March 2020.

Mick

MickGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Fantastic!!

Had it installed in our lounge room (centre of the house) and consistently get 47 Mbps download and 20 Mbps upload on our 50/20 plan with TPG. Even our back corner bedroom gets good speeds even though it has to go through three walls. Not having external antennas, it sits nicely in our entertainment cabinet.

Purchased in May 2019.

Number of Connected Devices 1 devices
Phil

PhilSouth East Queensland, QLD

TP-Link Archer VR1600v double failure

Purchased in February 2020 at TPG for A$150.00.

Number of Connected Devices 7 devices
Shane H.

Shane H.Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Biggest hunk of crap I have ever used, WIFI signal is almost non existent 2 rooms away.

I have never had a router that is so useless. It was supplied by TPG with the NBN FTTC connection. We have to use it because it has the VOIP connection for the home phone. I had a TPlink Archer D7 before with 3 external antennas which had great WIFI performance. The Archer VR1600V has internal antennas and is a total hunk of junk. I am about to smash it and go back to the old router that worked at least. TPG can stick their router up their bum.

Purchased at Supplied by TPG.

Number of Connected Devices 6 devices

Poor modem

I own a fritz box 7390 and have recently got the Archer 1600v because of the nbn. Gone are my voip call history menus, and connection to smart home devices.

Moni f

Moni f

so far so good

i had the iinet technician set up this product and he found it easy to set up within a few minutes. Our internet speeds are fast and so far everything seems to be good!

Blondy

Blondy

Great if you only want to connect locally and don't want to access the internet!

Came as a part of my TPG FTTN plan but ever since i had it theres been constant dropouts. Resets itself every hour or so. Packet loss when it drops out DSL usually comes back on but internet doesn't meaning you have to manually turn it off and on again. Can't do anything with the internet and I'm on a 100 mbps plan. I tried to do some work on my PC recently and after the 9th dropout in 2 hours I have up. Everyone pretty much just connects to my MOBILE DATA as it's so frustrating. I never had problems with my crappyvADSL2+ and old DLINK modem. It sets itself up which is great via TPG but that's the only good thing.

Purchased in December 2019.

Number of Connected Devices 8 devices

Anthony

AnthonySydney Surrounds, NSW

OK for some things. Terrible for others

This modem came part of my TPG FTTB plan.
It seems to work OK for WiFi, though my computer has a wired connection that fails to get a connection regularly.
I have to disable/enable the NIC in Device Manager 2-3 times before the connection restores.
The computer was working perfectly on my ADSL2+ router, with zero connection issues for 4 years.
I updated the drivers twice, tried three different network cables (1 brand new), connecting to different ports on the router, and static/dynamic IP addresses. Nothing resolved the issue.
There have been numerous others with the same issue, so I cannot see it being solely the problem of the computer.

Number of Connected Devices 6 devices
ISPTPG Broadband Fibre To The Building (FTTB)
Basho

BashoSydney, NSW

Top device

Got it less than fortnight ago, whatever I need to do I can; connected via TPG NBN 50 plan with average daily speed over 40Mps. Provides 2.4 and 5GHz and links PC and printer from other room 10m away with click on a button.
So far, 8 devices simultaneously connected show no problems working at the same time.
I'm not IT Pro but all installation steps were as clear and simple as you can only wish.
Recommend

Purchased in November 2019 at TPG .

Number of Connected Devices 8 devices
Jeremy

JeremySouth East Queensland, QLD

Terrible

I received one of these as part of a TPG NBN 50 plan. It struggles to do more than one thing at a time.
If i'm downloading something at 40Mbps and I start to watch Netflix in SD the download will drop to approx 5Mbps even though the SD stream is less than 1Mbps. The same thing happens if i'm downloading something and start to use the WiFi or stream video on the home network. It also gets very hot, far hotter than any other modem I've owned. The design is poor. The modem is crippled and locked to TPG's DNS servers. You can't change to Googles or any other DNS servers.
The WiFi coverage is quite good, better than my old TP-Link that had dual antennas but that's about the only positive thing.

Purchased in November 2019.

Danielle Stevens

Danielle StevensPerth, WA

Recent purchase, good so far

Comes with easy prompts to set up (in booklet form), with the extra NBN box (all from my internet service provider Westnet). So far so good... it was an easy installation, the modem green operating lights work fine, can't yet comment on dropouts as I havent experienced anything like that yet, the overall connectivity and performance seem to be fine. Internet speed seems on par with ADSL 1, for me it's ok as I don't need to use internet for multiple hours of the day, or for any form of streaming services. Downloading small files seems zippy, haven't downloaded large files yet. Overall happy with the product itself.

Purchased in September 2019 at Westnet.

Shane

ShaneSydney, NSW

It works

I need to reboot the router every morning to fix DHCP issue on it, connected devices are not able to get IP
It seems the OS of the router is not stable

Purchased in July 2019.