TP-Link Archer VR1600v

TP-Link Archer VR1600v

Great coverage, reliable connection

This router has been solid on the NBN. The interface is straightforward, the connection has been stable and fast across all our devices, and it provides good wifi coverage throughout the house.

Purchased in May 2019.

Good Reliable Modem - Easy To Configure

Pros:
Easy to configure
Wireless Range is excellent
GUI is friendly and has excellent antennae reception
Good Processor

Cons:
Needs to reboot a few times to get into the correct mode.
Difficult to setup the Advanced features such as VPN

Purchased in January 2019 for $250.00.

Number of Connected Devices 5 devices
ISPTPG Broadband NBN 100
ModemTP-Link Archer VR1600v
Functionality
Ease of Setup
Wi-Fi Range
Reliability

So far so good

I haven't had any issues with this since connecting to the nbn in January this year. I wouldn't say I have noticed any increase in speed from my old connection, but I don't think I can hold that against the hardware. Only one drop out so far. Easy to follow instructions. Would recommend.

Purchased in January 2019.

Problems with storms

Have TPG NBN, and in the past 12 months they have replaced 2 of these VR1600v modems under warranty, and the 3rd one stopped working yesterday. It seems that every time we get a storm the modem gets fried and stops working. The first two times it was the VOiP only, but this 3rd times its the whole modem ... all the lights have gone out. Given that we previously had a Telstra modem for over 5 years without issue, I think that the Archer is just susceptible to lightning. Going to try some other brand.

Purchased in March 2018.

Poor performance

I agree with the other review from Ivan69, this is a poor router for 2019. The wi-fi capabilities are very basic, nothing special. The very bad feature is the USB external storage; not only the file systems the router can handle are limited (it doesn't handle OSX FSs) but the maximum writing speed is extremely low. E.g: to copy a 500Mb file over wi-fi to the external USB you're looking at over 10 minutes. Not acceptable.

Purchased in January 2019.

Overheating with both 2.4 and 5GHz Wi-Fi turned on

Purchased through TPG as part of a contract deal. It came with TPG-tailored firmware which made many option cut-off or invisible, like VOiP settings, so it is impossible to use the second VoIP port with the TPG firmware. Also the TPG firmware done so, that it resets many settings at midnight to the TPG defaults, like turning off Wi-FI works only until midnight, when it turns on again, as it was never switched off. On top of these annoyances, turning both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands of WiFi causes overheating and hanging of the device when the room temperature is above 25 degrees of Celsius.

Date PurchasedJul 2018

Great little modem with 5G

Got it from TPG (fiber to the basement). Good coverage with 5G speed included. very good reach we have two floors house and no problem in getting internet. We usually switch off our modem during night times and when switch it on during in the day time the start up speed is always good and connects quickly to the internet. one last things the setup is very easy as well.

Date PurchasedJul 2018

Great product - easy set-up

Gives good wifi coverage in our large sized house. Great set-up, especially given NBN is tricky to get going. Serves 7 connected devices at anytime. No dropouts, however the speed does drop as you get further away from the router, however this is expected. It does get hot if used for a long tome (20 + hours)

Date PurchasedNov 2018

Great Modem Router

Very easy to set up and use. Very rarely get dropouts. Serves 4 computers/iPads at anytime and copes well. We also use it for Netflix and it's fine. Once you type the password into each device, they reconnect automatically. It does get hot if used for 12 hours+ so we turn it off at night to cool it down.

Date PurchasedNov 2018

Good medium modem/router

This tp-link router/modem has been pretty good.
Gives good wifi coverage in our medium sized house. The speed does drop as you get further away from the router, but that is to be expected.
Has AC1600 dual band wifi, gigabit LAN and WAN ports.
Also supports VoIP.
Pretty easy to setup. I've had no trouble, been using it on NBN FTT.

Date PurchasedAug 2018

Network speed not satisfactory

I purchased this router when we switched to NBN connection as we moved home. I must say this did not perform up to my expectations. Often we notice the network is gone completely as takes a while to restore. Have let the ISP know and yet to find out if the issue is with router or network. Setting up was quite easy but we restart it atleast once a week

Date PurchasedSep 2018

A Reliable And Fast Wireless/Wired DSL Modem And Hub.

This modem works well and has both wired and WIFI modes and I use both and they are fast. You have the extended WIFI modes that go beyond 802.11b/g/n and you can also turn off the wireless radios in total if you want to only use the wired Gigabit RJ45 LAN ports. There are four LAN ports and a WAN port on the back of the modem for your use.

The modem is simple to configure, has a well designed HTML interface that makes doing all that via a web browser easy and quick.

A nice modem in total.

Date PurchasedOct 2018

TPG Good Entry Level

The TPG router TP-Link Archer VR1600v. A medium sized. Router with an unobtrusive design. It has a USB port to connect up to media devices for sharing files.
4 Giga bit ports for adding wired devices.
Simple to set up with NBN. A good buy for an entry level modem.

Date PurchasedMay 2018

I Would Recommend

Good range and signal throughout the whole house which is medium in size.
Also I can still get it around 40 metres from the modem in the park on my phone. The signal strength understandable drops so the speed is not quite as good but is a bonus.
We have a 50mbps service and this is capable of 100mbps.
We also have it plugged in via an Apple time machine and everything works fine.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

TPG provides it as standard with NBN

TP-link VR1600v NBN modem with WiFi

Out of the box is a little white box, showing where the phone line connection and PC network cables insert.

No rabbit ear antenna to allow extended wireless range for WiFi connected tablets or laptops, so we just have to settle for the connection range offered by the internal antenna.

It is basic and does a basic job.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

seems to work just fine for me

I am using this router with the NBN. I have had no problems. The installation was fast and the speeds I receive are ok. In the two months since I have been using this router, I have had no problems, no drop-outs or anything so I am satisfied.

Date PurchasedAug 2017