2TP-Link TD-W8960N

59% · 3318 · 32%

Alan DGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC3 posts

Affordably Good

There are 3 things to look for in a router:

1. Signal - strength and stability are the two main factors in terms of signal. You need a router with stable signal strength and consistent coverage.

2. Ease of use - you don't want to think too hard when configuring a router. A router should be easy to setup and its management/maintenance should be direct and straightforward.

3. Security - can't emphasize more on this one because you want to avoid being eavesdropped.

And also, price tag is another factor to consider.

TP-LINK TD-W8960N has all these factors in one device.

Kim
Kim3 posts

The worst internet I have ever used

Got TP LINK connection through ACN recommended by friend. The internet crawls whereas I have tried belong, Telstra in the same house and they were perfect.

Had 2 years contract with TP link. Tried to complain about slow service apparently there some clause in contract that until it’s giving minimum speed of 10 or (low if I am right)

You cannot cancel saying it’s not good connection.

Struck with its for 1.5 year finally I will pay bill plus 250$ extra to get it out of my house.

Happy with belong service again since yesterday.

Please refrain from getting TP link through ACN representative. Terrible service

DavidP
DavidPSouth East Queensland, QLD12 posts

Great choice for VoIP

Purchased this model specifically for a business that runs their phones via VoIP. (That is, voice phones connecting over the internet via an ADSL line)

This modem has the ability to turn off SIP ALG. Switching this off was required by the VoiP provider.

Other models said in their manuals that switching it off only "stuck" until a reboot or power cycle. This model retains that setting.

We've had no problem with it at all. Recommended.

Dragonflz
DragonflzDarling Downs, QLD18 posts

Good for low budget

When i got this modem everything was supplied in the box, cables, splitter if needed, nbn cable.

I use this for ADSL at the moment, from the box to turning on was easy set up, went into browser and the log in screen popped up, it has an auto wizard set up which makes it so easy to install.

after putting in details supplied by internet company it was all set ready to go.

i have about 5 devices on it and runs really well, the only problem i had was the net itself. it has both 2GHZ and 5GHZ frequencies.

only problem i find it does get hot but never affected function, some maybe thats how it goes.

but for the price its a good little unit

Rosey
RoseyMelbourne10 posts

Low priced, efficient modem router

This modem/router was very easy to install and has been working well despite its low purchase price. I would recommend it for hassle free home ADSL use and as it is NBN ready I expect it would work just as efficiently once NBN is up and running in my area.

JamieK
JamieKBrisbane8 posts

Okay modem for the price. range isn't great

If you are looking for a good entry level NBN wireless router this is worth a look. I would not recommend thjis for 2 stories homes as the strength seems to diminish quite quickly. I've decided to keep this rounter / modem but I Have bought a IOP internet over power adapter system. This means I can run internet through the internal power points and solved this issue.

DiDi
DiDiGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC7 posts

Not good for us atm

We bought one of these but found it difficult to connect to our internet. It seems like a great product with the features that would suit our family, and it's not a bad looking device. Inconveniently however, when setting up the router, our internet dropped out and had to be reset, involving phone calls to our provider and a lot of teenager angst. So, at the moment it's back in the box. Having said that though, we do live in an area that has virtually no reception for everything, including mobile phones, so maybe the internet was just protesting.

AshSydney7 posts

Worth it!!

I have been using this modem for about a year. Initial setup is simple and well documented in the setup guide provided. It is cheaper and worth buying it. Wifi range is extremely good and has not had any problems in connecting multiple devices. Noticed rare connection dropout, but the reboot has resolved the issue. Overall it is value for money.

Manjul
ManjulSydney, NSW7 posts

Good product with cheap price

I bought this product from MSY and its perfect for my 1BHK and easy configured for TPG connection. its cheaper and best product and coming with 3 years warranty. if you need for small apartment then go for it without thinking. the only issue its having range limitation but still good for 1BHk or 2BHK.

R su
R suMelbourne5 posts

Cheap and reliable

Good all rounder router and modem. Its very cheap, sturdy and does not take up space. Easy to set up and had no problems in connecting to the internet straightaway. Distance on the wifi is extremely good. Used more than 3 devices at the same time on the wifi and all connected fine with good speeds. Highly recommended.

Chris A
Chris AGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC73 posts

Get what you pay for

Bought after my much more expensive TP-Link Archer VR200V died after less than 3 months. Bought just as a temporary replacement while I wait for more VR200V's to come is since they are all sold out. Took me 2 min to set up to my NBN and the range was surprisingly good although I later found it to be very unreliable.

Has no bells or whistles, no usb, no voip, just a basic modem router.

Having issues with drop outs where every couple of days my devices refuse to connect to the router via wifi. I've tried all setting but have been unable to fix this issue. A simple router reset fixes this.

It only cost me $39 but still a bit disappointed.

I wouldn't buy it.

Lee Leon
Lee Leonjandakot4 posts

Good router that does the job

This is a very cheap router that serves its purpose. Setup was simple and fool proof that i could use it as a teaching session for my nephew to set it up with me. I did however encounter bad connections when i placed my heater next to it, however once away from it it works fine!

Garyrandall
GaryrandallSydney, NSW6 posts

Adam
Adam5 posts

Not good. Ok on a budget

As far as ADSL2+ modem/router combos go, this is about as cheap as you can get.

Speeds are consistent, setup is simple, enthusiast features run deep.

However, when up against the heat of summer, this router drops its wifi signal all the time.

I was having to turn off the unit for it to cool down at least once a day before I replaced it with something more suited to my needs.

Lu Q
Lu QSydney2 posts

Cheap and good quality

I bought one on the weekend. The only difficulty I had was their quick setup, I'm on tpg and the default circuit settings on the unit was 0,35, needed 8,35 (that was an hour of my life wasted) . Seems to run fine, when I have line of sight, it does the 300m, BUT when I move to the upstairs PC, it drops to 130m (windows driver info), but that could be the nic card, etc,etc. Their utility states throughput, not connection speed which the windows one does. So be careful if you are quoting connection speed or throughput. Still don't know why they don't just come with 10/100/1000 ports?

I'm satisfied with it, and would consider more TP link gear.