Way to slow!

It’s a heavy mower so not so nimble to turn it around. Motor is powerful cuts long grass with ease. Unfortunately it’s self propelled drive is soooo slow. I could use a push mower in half the time. I found I was trying to push it to help it along shame it’s a big let down due to lack of speed

Purchased in February 2018.

Wet / Damp Grass Performance
Fuel Efficiency
Product is used: Weekly

The self propelled mechanism is fundamentally flawed. Buy a Honda

The drive mechanism routinely fails to engage and once engage cannot be disengaged. On to my second gearbox and exactly the same problem. The drive belt has now come off and I have been told this happens when the gearbox/belt mechanism becomes clogged with grass. A bit of a problem for a mower! Reverted back to my old and reliable Honda, 10+ years old and has never missed a beat.

Purchased in September 2016.

Great mower

I bought this mower for my small lawn (150m^2). The mower does everything I need and does a good cut.

I'm impressed in the features and build for the price. The 2019 model adds a comfort grip handle, a hose adapter to wash underneath and is a mulching mower - glad I waited a few more months.

This is my first 4-stoke and I've noticed that you need to go a little slower to get a good cut when compared to a 2-stroke. It's much quieter than a 2-stroke (still recommend ear plugs/muffs) and I'm enjoying not having to mix fuel after a few decades. Throttle is responsive and the governor helps when the engine gets loaded up to prevent stalling when cutting thick grass.

I'm have an average lawn with average thickness grass and it cuts the grass well. I don't get catcher issues unless I happen to be mowing with a full catch (ie forget to empty it). I tend to avoid mowing wet grass in principle knowing most mowers clog anyway when cutting wet grass.

Build quality is ok for the price; if you look after it should go the distance.

It's early days yet with this mower, having only mown a few times, so I can't comment on reliability or longevity, so I may revisit this review in future to update.

I'm really happy with the purchase so far. Now, I've got my grass mown to the height, I'm going to just use the mulch plug to trim the height weekly.

Purchased in March 2019 for $459.00.

Fuel Efficiency
Product is used: Weekly

Cheap construction and don't honour warranty

Self-propelled mechanism is not sealed after a while the clutch does not release anymore.
The mower was just over 2 years old and I was asked to pay for the repairs. After pointing out a 4 year warranty Victa agreed to pay for the cable and I had to pay close to $90.00 for labour.

Purchased in December 2016 for $990.00.

Product is used: Occasionally

Warning - I bought a lemon!

Eighteen months ago I bought a new Victa corvette 200 with Briggs and Stratton 4 stroke. I have a small suburban block in Brisbane and have used Victas for 40 years.
The Briggs and Stratton engine gave major problems associated with the plastic carby from the outset, even though clean, 91 grade, non-alcohol fuel was always used. Sick of paying for repairs!!!
I have dumped this mower, not wanting to pass on the problem!

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Could be better

I bought the Victa Corvette 200 after being talked into it by the local mower guy. I had wanted an electric mower but he didn't have the model I wanted in stock.

I was surprised that it was much quieter than any petrol mower I had used before but still noisier than my 15 year old (but now deceased) 2200W electric mower. It coped well with cutting and the finish was quite good.

It always took a couple of pulls of the cord - never 1 as the guy in the store claimed. The throttle control lever for this Briggs & Stratton motor machines of which this is one is very poorly marked and you can only figure out where the "start" position is by seeing where the stop position is indicated in the manual. You get use to it but it is daft labelling on the machine.

The biggest complaint is the carburettor which in these things is very prone to gumming up if you leave fuel in it over winter which I did on the 3rd year. Also, the cosmetic red piece of plastic over the top of the motor which has to be removed to get access to the 3 bolts that hold the top on is very difficult to remove. You cannot disconnect the very short fuel hose easily without removing this cover. The fuel tank is irregularly shaped which makes draining difficult. Ah, the joys of maintenance of small petrol engines. Funny thing is old petrol mowers I use to use never had these problems. Maybe fuel is crappier these days.

I will be replacing it with another electric mower.

Date PurchasedOct 2015

Pleasure to mow ,,

No body really likes mowing there yard , but when you have a new or old and effective mower like a Victor it takes the boredom out of it,,makes it effortless and makes a hard job easy ,never any trouble with the catcher , always starts first go ,adjustment is easy ,no trouble to use ,,,

Date PurchasedMay 2011

Victa is still making great mowers.

I really like the fact that it starts first go. It is light to push and move around edges etc. If convenience is what you’re after, then the Corvette 200 is perfect because it cuts the grass neatly. The rigid plastic grass catcher is easy to remove, empty and replace.
It is designed and assembled in Australia and it has the functionality and the durability that I like. Victa offers a 3-year domestic warranty as well.

Date PurchasedMay 2016

No hassles at all

BEing using it for almost 6 months now, works seamlessly.
starts on the first time, mow the lawn as I wish to.

Bought it from mowerPwer Mount waverley, their friendly staff helped me finalize the right one for me.
PRice matched with fuel and oil topped up and all assembled, so you are good to go instantly.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Always Starts First Time

They sure do have mowers better designed than when I was a kid. This thing starts first time every time, no matter how long I leave it between starts. It does an excellent crisp cut and. My previous mower was a super cheapie with straight blades, so I appreciate the swing blade design as I have the odd ock at my place. It fairly quiet being a 4 stroke. The catcher deign could be better. I Liked the old style Victa ones but I guess they make them this way to save money. It's a solid and reliable mower.

Date PurchasedMar 2017

This is a first start mower

This mower is the best price for its value and performance. I don't get a problem even after summer as long as I have new fuel and oil and sparkplug she roars. I've found she has the power to do back and front lawns. I like the size of the catcher too.

Date PurchasedApr 2018

Ooops i bought the wrong mower.

After long research and visitng mowers shops I decided on this mower.
I had a 21inch SP Lawnmaster 190cc mower and also a dedicated Masport mulch mower.
I needed a mulch mower to mow on alternate green bin weeks.
So i decided to down size to one mower which will do all the above.
I sold my SP to help pay for new mower and sold mulcher after i got new Victa.

Pros,
1, Nice solid mower
2, I love the power of the new BnS 850 190cc motor.

Cons,
1 Very messy mower, was covered with grass when finished. Also when empting catcher.
2 Very poor mulch, rear wheels collect grass and when turning mower the wheels deposit strip of grass off wheels
onto lawn. When mulching, grass is deposited out side of mower, so you have to blow footpaths etc. after mulching.
Noticable lines of grass when mulching after completing lawn. I have to go into fan mode to tidy up. (lifting to higher setting and going over lawn again)
Nowhere near a good mulching job as my dedicated Maasport, really regret selling Masport Mulcher.
3 Catching, catcher is only 3/4 filled when mowing, when removing catcher when full ish grass is left on lawn and have to scoop it up. Catcher hard to put back on mower, (shop guys said it gets easier after worn in.)
After 3 empties from new the filter thingy in the catcher fell out, put back in but kept falling out, so not using now.
One positive is catcher is lite, however not getting full catcher. Occassionally small clumps of grass are left on lawn during mowing.
4 Self propelled, to slow for me, needs to be faster imo. Very easy to skin hands when activating drive bar on handle, now wearing gloves when mowing lawn. Very annoying. SP itself is ok for now.

Overall,
Sorry but I regret buying this mower, apart from the motor. Regret selling my mulcher and come to think of it my Lawnmaster. Decided to give the Ozzy mower a go, but nah, im stuck with it. Going for first service after next mow so might consider trading in. My son prefers the other two mowers
I live in NZ and lawn is Couch grass and needs attention weekly. Hence purchase of SP mulch n catch with power.
Finally, I think this mower is more suited for other grass types, but definitely not couch grass.

Happy mowing.

Date PurchasedMar 2018

Solid machine

Very happy with this mower, cuts cleanly with the catcher and quite well with mulching plug. Motor appears sufficient for suburban block, no issues with power cutting longer grass. Starts easily (2nd pull), and very good on the fuel efficiency. Slightly heavier than expected, but did use a battery powered unit prior.

Date PurchasedAug 2017

Best mower!

This mower is very easy to start. I have used it once a fortnight for the 6 months that I've used it. It has been very reliable, and easy to maintain. Changing the oil and replacing blades is very easy.
The wheels are smooth rolling and it doesn't take a lot of effort to maneuver it around the garden.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

It's good

We got it for the new house from bunnings recommended by the staff. The mower is pretty good, easy starts and do the job well. We don't have too much grass - about 30 square meters. So it is pretty hard to comment on someone used to mow a lot.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Powerful reliable mower

Had a number of victa mowers in the past and was ready to buy a new Honda commercial but with the added expense, weight and motor cut off safety feature on the Honda i decided to get this victa 850 commercial. For the price nothing comes close for its power and ease of use and its not anywhere near as heavy as the Honda. Had it for a year now and have not had any trouble with it starting or everyday use it is just plain reliable. There is more plastic on this model and a redesigned catcher with a smaller opening which does not make much sense and seems a very flimsy build quality. I use to use the older solid one piece catchers that came with the older models but they do not seem to fit this model. I have had no real trouble with cutting wet grass but this mower still will have its limitations with the catcher as the grass is so much heavier you will have to empty it more often. So if you are in the market for a 4 stroke mower with more power than the Honda this may be a good option.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Good

It is a decent lawn mower that functions exactly as described, it is easy to push and turn however it definitely does not have the most powerful engine in the market. It struggles significantly when being pushed through long grass, wet or dry. The catch could be slightly larger then currently

Date PurchasedSep 2014

Great cutter. Dodgy clutch.

Always used a Victa. Thought I would try a self propelled version. It does the cut and collect/mulch very well. Cuts long stuff easy. After 9 months the clutch started to stick. A couple more mows and it stayed stuck on. Always in drive. Took it back to the supplier for a warranty fix. If this happens again out of warranty, I will convert it back to a push mower.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

This best mower I ever had lasts long

Victor mowers cuts easily and there's no mechanical problems with it. It lasts for a long time. I recommend vista mowers to anyone and everyone. It's easy to maintain just a rinse with the hose and it's ready for the next job. And it's way to manoeuvre in any direction.

Date PurchasedApr 2016

Poor Quality Mower With a Good Quality Engine

I bought this mower to replace my old Victa after it eventually died after 40-ish years of service. I don't know whatever happened to the iconic bulletproof Victa mowers that we grew up with? My new mower is no comparison to the previous one that it replaced.

Yesterday the handle snapped off at the attachment point where you can fold the handle over for transport or storage. The thin gauge steel has snapped completely through from the outer edge to the central fastener hole and then through to the opposite outer edge. You can see where it has snapped through just how thin the steel is - my old meccano set metal parts were about as thick as the steel in this handle. The mower is 4 years old and the handle has never been folded down, it has always been used and stored in the shed with the handle in the upright position. I would have expected a mechanical issue with the engine well before a structural problem with handle. Looking at reviews on this site of other Corvette models, it looks like I am not the only one to have experienced a broken handle.

The underneath side of the steel cutting deck is already showing considerable signs of rusting, even with cleaning after use and before storing in the shed. Time will tell how long it takes before it rusts completely through. In hindsight, an alloy deck would have been a much better choice. I would never go for a steel deck again.

The plastic wheels on this mower are very thin and flimsy. I am very careful when wheeling it on my gravel driveway in fear of damaging the wheels, which I don't have much hope for. Being hollow, they always fill up with grass clippings which are a pain to hose out and clean up.

On a positive note, the Briggs & Stratton engine is powerful and reliable. It has loads of oomph to cut through the grass without any problems. It mulches very well, I rarely use the catcher so I can't really comment on how effective it is.

Overall, I would describe this mower as having a good quality powerful engine mounted on a very cheap, poor quality thin metal and plastic mower. Say goodbye to the good quality iconic Victa of old that we all trusted - a legacy that they are desperately trying to cling on to, however this won't last very long when consumers wake up to the rubbish that they are mounting a decent engine on to.

Date PurchasedJun 2013

Wat is the most common fault for starting the mower have spark fresh gas n many pulls no go
Check air filter next. Make sure it’s not clogged, dirty, blocked etc

Why is this mower hard to start at least 6 to 10 pulls but after it’s warmed up take about 2 pulls. How come?
I don’t know if whether or not you find it’s unique to this mower but I find all my power equipment always takes a few pulls when cold. Generally, it’s because the engine is cold (ie not running at operating temperature). When the engine is not at operating temperature it’s harder to ignite fuel, sump oil is thicker and air is thicker. So, it’s easier to start the mower when hot because the fuel is easier to burn.

Is the Corvette 300 heavier than the Corvette 100?
Yes. 31kg vs 26kg. See also Victa website.

Corvette VGMS464 (300, 4 Stroke)Corvette VGMD489 (19", 4 Stroke)Corvette VGCS464 (100, 4 Stroke)Corvette VGMA489 (Cast Alloy, 4 Stroke)Corvette GCS466 (200, 4 Stroke)Corvette VGMS486 (400, 4 Stroke)Corvette VGMA484 (Cast Alloy, 4 Stroke)Corvette VGBD484 (Ultimate, 4 Stroke)Corvette VGMS487 (500, 4 Stroke)Corvette GCS482 (600, 2 Stroke)Corvette GCS484 (600, 4 Stroke)Corvette GMS484 (725, 4 Stroke)Corvette VGMS488 (500, 4 Stroke)Corvette GCS484 (450, 4 Stroke)Corvette GCS468 (100. 4 Stroke)Corvette GMS468 (400, 4 Stroke)Corvette VGKS484 (Key Start, 4 Stroke)Corvette GMD488 (Self Propelled, 4 Stroke)Corvette GMA488 (Commercial, 4 Stroke)Corvette VGMD484 (Self-Propelled with QPT, 4 Stroke)
Power SourcePetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrol
Cutting Width480480460480420480480483480480480480480420420420480480480483
Minimum Cutting Height1111111311721115111111111111111172111115
Maximum Cutting Height7575757275157572757575757575757515757572
Mulching CapabilityYesYesNoYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYes
Chassis MaterialPressed SteelPressed SteelPressed SteelCast AlloyPressed SteelPressed SteelCast AlloyPressed SteelPressed SteelPressed SteelPressed SteelPressed SteelPressed SteelPressed SteelPressed SteelPressed SteelPressed SteelPressed SteelCast AlloyPressed Steel
Price (RRP)549899429829459599759899649649399529749749799469
EngineBriggs and Stratton 500Briggs & Stratton 850I/C CommercialBriggs and Stratton 500EBriggs and Stratton 850 I/CBriggs & Stratton 550EXBriggs & Stratton 725EXiBriggs and Stratton 725EXi QPTBriggs and Stratton 740iSBriggs & Stratton 725EXi QPTVicta VEX160Briggs & Stratton 625Briggs and Stratton 725EXBriggs & Stratton 750 DOV I/CBriggs & Stratton 450Briggs & Stratton 500EBriggs & Stratton 625EXBriggs and Stratton 725EXBriggs & Stratton 750 DOV I/CBriggs & Stratton 850 I/CBriggs and Stratton 725 EXi QPT
Starting SystemReadyStart™ReadyStart™RapidStart™ReadyStart™ReadyStart™ReadyStart™ReadyStart™InStart®ReadyStart™ElectricStart™ Battery Key StartHigh Zone StarterReadyStart™
DrivePushPushPushPushPushPushPushPushPushPushPushPushPushPushPushPushPushSelf PropelledPushSelf Propelled

Similar listings