Push Mowers Buying Guide

Our buying guide will explain which type of push mower would suit you most, how much you can expect to pay for one, and which features are worth looking out for.

3.3

• Product is used
  • Safety
  • Wet / Damp Grass Performance
  • Fuel Efficiency
Pedro

PedroNZ

Ooops i brought a dud, from a discontinued post

Purchased in March 2018 for A$1,049.00.

OmarooWide Bay-Burnett, QLD

Easy Mowing

A great mower that is easy to manoeuvre and operate. Starts very easily each time, and being self propelled it is easy to move around on the grass. Have a fairly big yard so if I am using the catcher and the grass is fairly long it does have to be emptied a couple of times. Seems fairly good on the fuel so can get a couple of uses out of it before I need to refuel. A lot of my lawn area is quite hard but the mower seems to move around on it no problem. The only downside I find is I needed someone to come and help me get it out of the boot of my car as it is a bit too heavy for me and the boot on my car is fairly deep.

Purchased in March 2020 for A$699.00.

Product is used Occasionally

Over priced and under powered.

Starts easily and easy to manoeuvre although height adjustment handle protrudes past outside of cutting area which inhibits cutting close to fence line. Engine revs too slowly and stalls as soon as it hits a small mound of my kikiyu grass. Very disappointed with the performance of this mower.

Purchased in January 2020 for A$549.00.

GeoffMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

The motor is good but is let down by poor cutting and mulching performance

Purchased in October 2019 for A$549.00.

Very difficult to start

Since purchasing a new Victa Corvette 400 lawn mower over 12 mths ago for $599 I have found it very difficult or unable to start .The store didnt have a Masport in stock .Have been back to the store where the mover was purchased with no joy !
I have since gone back to using our very old Masport after a service which starts first or 2nd pull .
I would not purchase this Victa mower again . I now have a mower that has only been used 6 times collecting dust , very disappointing.

Purchased in August 2018 for A$599.00.

dissappointing

The belt that drives the self propulsion continuously dislodges so you spend most of time repairing this machine. It was recommended to me for my size garden but it cannot handle it.

Purchased in December 2015 for A$700.00.

Excellent value for money

Upgraded from a 147cc to this 163cc Corvette 300. Very smooth operation, so easy to start with a light pull. My lawn is kikiyu, thick blade grass and cut it without any problem what so ever. Bought from Stanford mowers in Adelaide.

Purchased in November 2019 for A$499.00.

Juan G.

Juan G.Sydney Surrounds, NSW

Perfect Mower Extremely Reliable has never let me down

I purchased this mower in January of 2019 it has lasted me roughly about eight months and I never had any problem with this Victa Mower I have installed an hour meter on this mower about 2 days ago and the meter works really well I always like to have reliable gardening equipment I do not like to have unreliable gardening equipment

Juan

Purchased in January 2019.

Product is used Daily
Gavin V.

Gavin V.Perth, WA

Push button start

Love this lawn mower. Easy to push around and easy to start. I like how the starting battery just slides on and off like a portable tool battery. It also shows remaining power by led bars. Plenty of grunt.

Purchased in March 2008 for A$700.00.

Kim H.

Kim H.North Queensland, QLD

Disappointed

I'm disappointed that we choose this mower. It is very heavy to push and difficult to start. I wouldn't recommend it for ladies or older people. More times than not I can't get it started which is extremely frustrating.

Purchased in June 2018 for A$849.00.

R.singh

R.singhSouth East Queensland, QLD

Easy to use

I bought this on 31st March 2019. It's a new model with red strap handle and washport as well. It's Corvette 200. When you check specifications on victa website it doesn’t tell that it has washport as well.
Used it next day it’s less noisy for sure. Best thing I like is height adjustable handle which is Great. Power wise it’s not that great, it struggles to stay on with no four cuttting position, very disappointing. I had to cut the lawns on no five position then again on no four. Uses lot of petrol also. May be it was not full. Starts first pull which is good.
Under powered and poor fuel consumption. If Victa has satisfaction guarantee I maybe think to return it. I'm sure grass was not too tall that the engine has to struggle.

Purchased in March 2019 at Browns plains Mowers for A$399.00.

Ross k

Ross kCentral Queensland, QLD

Way to slow!

It’s a heavy mower so not so nimble to turn it around. Motor is powerful cuts long grass with ease. Unfortunately it’s self propelled drive is soooo slow. I could use a push mower in half the time. I found I was trying to push it to help it along shame it’s a big let down due to lack of speed

Purchased in February 2018.

Not happy

Not happySydney, NSW

The self propelled mechanism is fundamentally flawed. Buy a Honda

The drive mechanism routinely fails to engage and once engage cannot be disengaged. On to my second gearbox and exactly the same problem. The drive belt has now come off and I have been told this happens when the gearbox/belt mechanism becomes clogged with grass. A bit of a problem for a mower! Reverted back to my old and reliable Honda, 10+ years old and has never missed a beat.

Purchased in September 2016.

bjr

bjrCentral West, NSW

Great mower

Purchased in March 2019 for A$459.00.

Hoemmel

HoemmelHobart, TAS

Cheap construction and don't honour warranty

Self-propelled mechanism is not sealed after a while the clutch does not release anymore.
The mower was just over 2 years old and I was asked to pay for the repairs. After pointing out a 4 year warranty Victa agreed to pay for the cable and I had to pay close to $90.00 for labour.

Purchased in December 2016 for A$990.00.

Barry

BarryBrisbane

Warning - I bought a lemon!

Eighteen months ago I bought a new Victa corvette 200 with Briggs and Stratton 4 stroke. I have a small suburban block in Brisbane and have used Victas for 40 years.
The Briggs and Stratton engine gave major problems associated with the plastic carby from the outset, even though clean, 91 grade, non-alcohol fuel was always used. Sick of paying for repairs!!!
I have dumped this mower, not wanting to pass on the problem!

Date PurchasedJun 2017
Peterb666

Peterb666Merimbula

Could be better

Date PurchasedOct 2015
bob

bobHervey Bay , Qld ,Australia

Pleasure to mow ,,

No body really likes mowing there yard , but when you have a new or old and effective mower like a Victor it takes the boredom out of it,,makes it effortless and makes a hard job easy ,never any trouble with the catcher , always starts first go ,adjustment is easy ,no trouble to use ,,,

Date PurchasedMay 2011
Robbie

RobbieNSW, 2335

Victa is still making great mowers.

I really like the fact that it starts first go. It is light to push and move around edges etc. If convenience is what you’re after, then the Corvette 200 is perfect because it cuts the grass neatly. The rigid plastic grass catcher is easy to remove, empty and replace.
It is designed and assembled in Australia and it has the functionality and the durability that I like. Victa offers a 3-year domestic warranty as well.

Date PurchasedMay 2016
Rachit Dhasmana

Rachit DhasmanaGlen Waverley

No hassles at all

BEing using it for almost 6 months now, works seamlessly.
starts on the first time, mow the lawn as I wish to.

Bought it from mowerPwer Mount waverley, their friendly staff helped me finalize the right one for me.
PRice matched with fuel and oil topped up and all assembled, so you are good to go instantly.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Peet S.

Peet S.asked

Corvette

What spark plug does the Corvette 700 use please?

Omaroo

I am not mechanically minded so wouldn't know, when it comes time for any maintenance on this I will surely not be the one doing it!! sorry I am unable to help

Billasked

Corvette

I have a victa corvette , when I switch it off it keeps running Any ideas why this happens and how do I fix it?

Omaroo

Hi Bill, haven't had this trouble with my mower and wouldn't really know why it would happen, just looked in my manual under trouble shooting but doesn't have that problem. All I could think of is maybe you haven't moved the throttle control to the proper stop position. If it is under warranty I would take it back to where you bought it from. sorry I cant be of much more help but probably the wrong person to ask as not mechanically minded!!

Geoff

Depending on the model mower and the mechanism the answers would differ. The very simplest would be that the electrical shorting contact on the throttle mechanism (near the carby) on a B and S motor is not making contact so turning off the motor. If so then something has loosened and slipped and needs adjusting and tightening. Next time the.motor is running observe how the throttle opens and closes to slow the motor. Then to turn it off when it slows, manually push the throttle lever on the carby closed. This is the simplest solution. I had the same problem and that became my usual method of stopping it.

Bill

Thanks fir you help. I noticed the screw that holds the throttle cable in place was loose and the cable had become dislodged from its guide so when backing the throttle off its wouldn’t fully disengage Cheers

Henry P.

Henry P.asked

Corvette

I have a victa corvette 750 mulch when I change the blades do I turn it up or on its side to change blades

Get an answer from our members and Victa representatives