Volkswagen Tiguan

HUGE DISAPOINTMENT 1/10 BEWARE

What a huge disappointment, I purchased the 2018 Tiguan Highline 140TDI with all the packs and sunroof brand new!

The fuel efficiency of this diesel vehicle is well below what Volkswagen say it should be. From day one we have struggled to get anywhere near 800 km to a tank With our usual outcome of 700 to 770 km. VW advertise specifically for this model that the average distance is 1015 km. We are very caring placid drivers who do not have any weight and struggle to get anything near 800. The “add blue” burns through it so quick we didn’t even make it to the first service before needing to add it. This isn’t cheap. Once the warning starts coming up it comes on every single time you start your vehicle, every single time... you cannot dismiss it permanently. So for 3500kms be warned you will get buzzing and warning lights flashing at you each time you start your car. Ridiculous. We topped up our ad blue before our service because we would not make it to the service on the remaining distance, whilst the car was being serviced we requested for this to be filled up. We receive the car back and they did not fill it up with the excuse they cannot fill it up unless the car is request in it, so now I will not make it to the next service without needing more ad blue And endless warning sounds and light going off.

Shortly after we purchased this car brand-new we noticed a squawking groaning noise in the front end, we took it to a local dealer and they expressed they are well aware of the situation but explained “you need to just get used to noises in the car” WHAT? as no car is quiet. During my test drives of all three Tiguans we did not hear the sound, and at no point did the sales people express this issue with the Modle. We have since returned to an additional dealer and test driven another one and have not experienced this sound again but it is quite evident in our Highline. Volkswagen refuse to recognise the issue and refused to do anything about it so we are forced to drive a vehicle that has a groaning noise in the front. Very embarrassing when passing other motorists or pedestrians.

The sunroof has massive issues with crackling, clicking and rattle noises it does this More so when the car has been in the sun, we took it to a local dealer who told us that they do do that and it is expected for any of the Volkswagen vehicles that have a panoramic sunroof. Why not put that in the brochure ?

Our rear tailgate will not work when waving your foot underneath the bumper bar, never has and even the Volkswagen service could not get it to work. Still doesn’t.

The cruise control is extremely frustrating as it not only will it track the vehicle in your lane in front of you it also tracks the vehicle in the lane to your left or right.
as well, so if you are travelling with nothing in front of you and you are in the left-hand lane doing 100 on the freeway and the vehicle in the middle lane is travelling 80 in a 100 zone whilst you have your cruise control set to 100 your car will slow down and Pace that vehicle even though it is not in your lane. The VW service centre told me that that is how the system operates and there is nothing they can do about it!.... again this isn’t in the brochure.

Seriously disappointed with this dud vehicle. After owning Volkswagens previously I’m very disappointed in this model, what a waste of money definitely not worth getting the Tiguan VW diesel vehicle as it seems they are strongly misleading about the distance you can actually travel on a tank of fuel.

I give this car a 1 out of 10.

Seriously consider purchasing something else I wish I did.

Purchased for $60,500.00.

Intake manifold problem

The vw centre inspect the car and charges me $596 for nothing and just says intke manifold problem which was changed in by the dealer few weeks ago. It has been the dramatic diagnosis and the Vw still says I need to get another intake manifold form dealer
Or either pay 1300 for the new one fitted included labour. The problem here is what if I pay 1300 for the repair and it doesn’t work out. I don’t trust these 2011- 2012 Tiguan car - Tiguan anymore and I don’t believe the Vw Centre in Goldcoast and their diagnosis Style. They should have spare manifold to check the real problem and then perform the report which gives clear vision of what has to be done and what is the one to repair. Performed sin by buying this car. Report says - I take manifold problem if no ecu. Charged $596. I wish Australia had strict guild lines about these Vw car like USA has and followed their path and good legal system to help common citizens. I am sandwiched between dealer and Vw centre for the repair and there is not relieve. Vw all cars are crap and repairers are just evenworst trash....

Purchased at Dealer for $10,125.00.

BoughtUsed

Love It

I bought my 2017 Tiguan froma gentleman who had owned it for about 12 months. It is lovely to drive, very comfortable and has all the features you would expect.
I like the way it handles and the reversing camera. perhaps I was easy to please I had previously owned a Polo which was a wondeful car too. The Tiguan has great seating positions so is very comfortable for a long drive.

Purchased at Private Seller.

BoughtUsed
Fuel Efficiency

I just LOVE my New VW Tiguan Special Edition Wolfsburg 4WD SUV!!!!

I purchased this car from VW Ringwood about 3 weeks ago now. I live in Rural Victoria. I just love this car and all the many safety features that come with it. I purchased it as my retirement car after looking at many, many reviews. Beautifully made - fantastic to drive - and I am still working out the many safety features that this vehicle comes with. It is early days - but so far - excellent. One small down side - to disengage the Stop/Start Feature (This is the feature where when you are in heavy traffic the motor turns off to save fuel when you are stopped - and once you touch the accelerator off it goes again) each time you start the vehicle you have to press the button on the console that then disengages this function. I would have preferred an option to turn it off permanently - and be able to turn it back on if you find that you ever need it. Other than that - so far - I can't fault this vehicle!!

Purchased .

GREAT VALUE SUV

We bought this car from a Ringwood dealer August 2018. The vehicle was 1 year old and was bought as a demo.
It's the mid spec Comfortline 132 TSI 2 litre turbo.
So far we are very impressed with the economy to performance ratio with the 2 ltr turbo. It pulls away from a standing start smartly with little sign of turbo lag. For overtaking it's a breeze. Safety features are the main highlight of this vehicle and there are tons of good features. The best thing was that the insurance with RACV was so cheap because of the safety rating. We're rapt!
The vehicle is comfortable to drive,has plenty of storage in the front and rear, and it has 4 driving modes to choose from. This car isn't really lacking in anything that I can think of,except my Samsung S7 isn't compatible with Android/Apple car play for some reason.

Badge132 TSI Comfortline
Date PurchasedAug 2018
DriveAWD

Perfect for small family

After doing lot of research bought tiguan 118 tsi..it s perfect suv for small family with young kids,for every day use ..i m getting 8 l /100..
Good mileage in summer than winter . haven't had any problem yet .

Purchased for $31,000.00.

Excellent car

Love this car, come with any additional, safety we want, luxury comfort vehicle. Love the driving assistance, panorama sunroof, leather seats, keyless entry and engine start. The most important thing is auto drive, especially on the motorway, the car is driving itself, which is realisable. Love the shape and sporty look with 4 motion drive.

Badge132 TSI Comfortline
Date PurchasedDec 2018

Perfect economical family car!!

We purchased the VW Tiguan Allspace 6 weeks ago brand new and couldn’t be happier!! It is the perfect size for our family and the extra seats have come in handy on numerous occasions. We purchased the 2.0L Turbo Diesel and it fuel efficiency is outstanding!! We use this car for our everyday driving to and from school drop off, work and kids after school activities. So plenty of short local trips done. Have also done a couple of long distance trips to test fuel consumption and couldn’t be happier!! Well done VW you have produced a reliable and economical family car.

Badge140 TDI Highline
DriveAWD

Beware new VW buyers. Dishonest. Known common faults on many models. Read our experience

My wife purchased brand new Tiguan. Top model costing $50,000 Even now the new model sounds like a very suitable car for her, but we would never buy another vw product. Just google it for yourself.
Yes the cars feel great to sit in and drive, but please google the faults and VW attitude for yourself before buying a new vw.

Some faults:
Car filled with water from sunroof fault (common problem). Things were floating around the floor.
We had to have the ENTIRE interior removed and dried out. There were small mold trees growing under the seats!
Fuse box burnt out in engine bay (common problem)
DSG transmission erratic (common problem)
Aircon fan blower motor failed (common problem)
Sunroof headlining fell out
Dealer-fitted accessories started to fall off but servicing dealer would not rectify as they were not the actual vw dealer who fitted them. This should have been covered by any vw dealer.
Dash warning lights serially come on for no reason but vw say it’s no problem
Rattles and squeaks, omg! On many road surfaces it sounds like a plumbers work van inside!
Badges faded in colour.
Aircon barely cool on hot days.
During warranty period, dealer ignored our reports of dsg problems.
VW insisted on using a very expensive DSG oil in transmission. Some years later they changed their story and said to use a very different oil and that the special oil had been causing many of the vast number of problems. Poor owners had been paying for the expensive oil and actually causing problems in the process.

The dealers extended warranty wasn’t worth the paper it’s written on, when we looked more closely.

The fuse box caught fire under bonnet and is common. Despite a recall, the Penrith NSW dealership said that only the $1 fuse was covered by recall and we had to pay $800 for the new fuse box. They offered to ask VW Australia for a goodwill replacement of the faulty part and when I questioned this, the service staff member told me that he now wouldn’t even request the goodwill offer. A call to VW Aus proved that the dealer was lying and the repair was fully covered and arranged at another dealer. How dishonest!

Our car is not new anymore, but I urge anyone considering a new vw, go and do some research yourself. Google VW faults and read about the customer experiences and dishonest practices customers write about all over the internet. Read also about customers experience with timing chain (belt?) issues and the lies they have been told. Google is your friend lol

Remember vw falsifying emission tests worldwide?

We purchased the top of the line model, and when it rains I need to run outside and tie a tarp over the roof of the car to stop the water flooding in! Truly, this was the top of the line model at the time? Give me a break. Never again VW for us. We know a number of other vw owners who have reported great disappointment with breakdowns of their vw. Message on the instrument panel indicates one thing but it’s always something much more major and costs a fortune to fix because a normal mechanic tries to fix what the instrument cluster reports, whereas only vw scan tools can detect true source of the problem and they are very expensive repairs. Please google and inform yourself before you buy any vw product.
We fear the transmission will fail anytime soon...despite recording our concerns at every service and being ignored.

She is still driving the car, but what a joke to have to tarp the roof when it rains and find undercover parking whenever the forecast says a possibility of storms.
What a disappointing experience owning this “quality European car” has been. I think in fact it’s built in Mexico?
Dreadful experience overall.

Badge147TSI
Date PurchasedDec 2011

German engineering at its best!!

We use the Tigaun as a family car, it's very spacious and comfortable! Plenty of room for 5 people and our puppy, serviced every 10,000 kilometers. Mechanic said this is a very reliable and fuel efficiency is excellent! We love the turbo diesel and will definitely be purchasing a future model

Badge103TDi
Date PurchasedDec 2018

So much better and roomier than the previous generation

We love our Tiguan, it has all the benefits of the Golf but with a great ride hide and comfort. We had the previous Tiguan and found while good, it lacked the space to be a true family SUV. The current Tiguan is just perfect in so many ways, the size, power and features.

Date PurchasedAug 2015

Lovely car to drive, would like to see some improvements in the newer models

I drive the car mainly for travel to and from work, school pick up and drop off and any other errands etc that I need to travel around for. I use the car daily, there are very few days that I don't drive at all.
Mostly really like this car, the sensors took a little getting used to and I love the reverse camera and birds eye view when parking. I have 2 car seats in the back and when it is just the family in the car, this is ample room for all. If we need to put someone in the middle on the backseat, it is very squishy. The navigation system on the car is not as good as the navigation through Google Maps when the phone is connected. The climate control and heated seats are great. Love the screen and the options available. Controls on the steering wheel make it easy when driving. I don't like the engine shutting off when staying still at lights etc as there is a bit of a lag when it starts again, have had this on other cars and when the engine restarts, there is no lag. Otherwise a great car.

Badge110 TSI Comfortline
Date PurchasedMay 2018

Lovely little car

LOVE this car so much! It's such a joy to drive and easy to navigate. There is plenty of space within the car without it being super bulky. It has great speed and great modifications. I am very tall so get very uncomfortable on long drives but the Tiguan is super comfy and added bonus that it looks super smart too. :)

Badge130TDi
Date PurchasedMar 2017

Best car I've owned

This is my second Tig. I bought a used 2010 model 3.5 years ago and loved it. A year ago (October 2017) I wanted to upgrade and bought the 2017 110 TDI Comfortline version. Couldn't be happier. The options that come with the Comfortline are amazing. Love the leather seats, front seats heated, sunroof, driving assistance package (cruise control, lane assist, etc) and I could go on. The Adaptive Cruise Control function is something I use every day, whether driving on suburban streets or the freeway - it's ability to moderate the speed according to how close you are to the vehicle in front is fantastic and makes driving much less stressful, as well as helping to avoid unintentional speeding fines! I found the boot space in the earlier model a bit limiting, but they increased it in 2017 and I find it adequate. You can easily release the back of the rear seats to fall forward if you need more space - you can do this from inside the boot itself as well as from each side of the rear seats - another convenience.
The economy of the diesel engine is also great. Around town, I'm usually achieving between 6 and 7 litres per 100 kms. On a trip, it can go down to around 5 - can't complain about that!!. And although the smallest diesel VW offers in the Tig, it has plenty enough power. If you plant your boot, it will take off fast. If you want to tow a trailer with a good load (rated up to 2000 kgs), it handles it easily (be aware, however, that VW only allow max. 100 kgs on the towball, so you have to be a bit careful how you load the trailer or the type of caravan you tow).
All round, I highly recommend this as a family vehicle or just as your normal vehicle because as an SUV it's higher off the road and for a 70-year old like me I find it much easier to get in and out of than my wife's Mazda 3 (which by the way is another great car in all other respects).

Badge110 TDI Comfortline
Date PurchasedOct 2017

Nice dry weather car

Front sensors and cruise control can cease to operate in light rain. Sales staff say they are unaware of the problem. Our car is early 2017 model and Management were saying at the time they were unaware of the problem, it's happened to us 5 times in 16 months and we know how dry it's been, now there saying refer to the Manual which says it can happen in extreme wet conditions, who reads the manual before they buy a car, and it can happen in any sort of wet conditions. VOLKSWAGON HAS IGNORED ALL OUR COMPLAINTS, AND NOW SAY THE CASE IS CLOSED.

Great Car

Recently purchased a used 2008 TDi model for my son. Came with a near new tow bar and the full sun roof. A one owner well maintained car.
I am really impressed with this car. Good solid well build German engineering. Runs on the smell of an oily rag. Happy to recommend this as a great family car.

Badge103TDi
TransmissionManual
Date PurchasedJul 2018
in fact so good that we just got our daughter a 2012 TSI Pacific model with only 36,000kms and full leather interior. A really nice car indeed.

2012 VW Tiguan 132 TSI Pacific

I had this car since new and have nothing but praise did about 110K and was issue free and the engine was powerful and very smooth to drive and the quality was top notch, It has been in 3 hail storms on highway still not a mark...now thats what I call quality, Sadly had to sell it as we were after 7 seater and VW allspace didn't have enough room for our requirement.
miss our little tiguan.

Date PurchasedMay 2012

Tiguan R line

We’ve replaced our beloved Amarok with another veedub only because the Amarok didn’t have rear passenger airbags. We are actually glad we’ve made the swap because this model is leap and bounds from the previous model it replaced. The look first and foremost, looks mean and aggressive with its lines and bulges. The R line made this even a head turner with its 20in wheels and smoked lights. The extras we’ve got made this like an autonomous car, car assist and added safety features were most welcomed and works well. It’s definitely a solid build and the only gripe is because it’s so good, I see a lot of it on the road. Lastly, it drives like a petrol, meaning it’s quiet and the torque! It’s awesome.

Badge140 TDI Highline
Date PurchasedJun 2018

Frugal featured monster

Love this car, economy is 7 or below on 95ion unleaded. Love the sunroof and digital dash. Can’t really fault this car, would of loved the LED updated headlights reserved for the top spec, but this is the base model with and Audi stable engine. Happy motoring guys and girls. Oh and kids love this car due to their own air con, table on the back of front seat chairs, and the seating height.

Badge110 TSI Comfortline
Date PurchasedDec 2016

132Tsi oil consumption

Agree with others comments on VW, partners 132Tsi uses around a half a litre of oil every few thousand k's. Also Shine lawyers have conducted a class action on 2012 model Tiguans which some models the engine timing chain can break causing engine failure. The oil burning issue is apparently because the engine bores are honed in a particular way to minimise friction and the oil control ring is too small (1.5mm as against 2.5mm). As a result owners are finding relatively low kilometre motors consuming a lot of oil. This is a known issue with VW but the company is apparently only interested in selling volumes. As someone else mentioned stick with Japanese or Korean cars if you want long term reliability and a good warranty, or get rid of your "Euro vehicles when the warranty runs out.

Date PurchasedSep 2012

Good day. I bought a used 2010 VW tiguan about 2 months ago, yesterday as i made attempt to park the car, the engine stopped running and it didn't start it again. I discovered that the pulley system wasn't as tight as it should. What can be the problem and what is the likely solution?
Honestly mate I've never experienced that before. If it's still under warranty I would suggest getting a me mechanic to look into it. If you use the stop/start feature in traffic often. It could put more stress on your engine.

Hello Friend, Planning to buy Tiguan Trendline 110TSI 2018 or Honda CR-V 2018. Can you please advise me on, 1. Reliability 2. Service Costs 3. Warranty period 4. Resale Value 5. Most importantly After Sales service feedback of Volkswagen and Honda? Thank you in advance. Regards, KT
Honda

Hi there guys Looking at purchasing a new 2017-2018 VW tiguan highline and im torn between the 140 tdi diesel or the 160 tsi petrol motor... im attracted to the fuel economy of the diesel, but concerned about the dpf filter and associated maintenance cost and if it blocks up the expensive repair bill ??? I do half hr freeway driving everyday, but ultimately live in surburbia with long country drives every few months, who has 1st hand experience with these engines ?
I had an Amarok for 4 years and used it mostly in Canberra, so basically majority of my commute is urban. I do take long drive intermittently more than 10-15 mins at a consistent speed of 80kph and as recommended for modern Diesel engines that’s enough to burn it off. I had no issues with my Amarok which I then now traded in with a 2018 Tiguan 140 highline R. Can’t fault the power of this engine and it’s plenty enough. I hope this helps with your decision.Thank you Jp Roller.... What you have bought is exactly what we are looking at the moment. How long have you had your Tiguan for ? Was petrol version ever a option for you ?I have a 2017 140 TDI engine goes quite well but beware of the sensors they will go out with the cruise control in not too wet weather and VW will not listen to you. You will not be told by sales staff there is a problem then once you buy the car they will tell you it's in the manual, which says they can go out in extreme weather conditions. VW are only interested in selling cars not the backup. Andy D.

Similar listings