Westinghouse 453L Bottom Mount

3.6

• Internal Layout

Noisiest fridge l have ever had!

I have always had Westinghouse fridges but this one has not met up to standards. Extremely noisy!!!!! Not an easy fridge to open. Handle came off on day one.
Rang Westinghouse customer service hotline to discuss the loud noises it was making, hard to open and said l wasn’t happy with product. They told me “that’s just how they are made these days, you just have to get used to it”. Very disappointed.
Will not buy another Westinghouse again!

Purchased at Harvey Norman for A$1,000.00.

robPerth, WA

this is a very nice fridge and so quiet and works well however failed after 6 weeks and no customer service.

Purchased in January 2020.

Gordon

GordonSydney, NSW

Today the door handle broke :(

So far the fridge has operated quite well, now at 31 months old the door handle has broken off. The plastic mounting clips on the handle end fittings is just pathetic, I am surprised it lasted a day.

I will glue the handle back on.
Fingers crossed nothing else fails as reported by others.

Cheers
Gordon

Purchased in October 2017.

Bottom Mount Fridges / Refrigerators

Find out how Westinghouse 453L Bottom Mount compares to other Bottom Mount Fridges / Refrigerators

Jane

JaneGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

High pitched noise

Nice fridge except for the high pitched whine noise it has. A bit like your ears are ringing! The freezer doesn’t seem to have as much space as my old 442 litre fridge. The door can also be a bit hard to open causing the whole fridge to move. I could put up with the lack of freezer space and the door but the noise is VERY annoying. I have read about other people complaining about the same thing.
Edit: A few weeks on and I’m sort of used to the noise. The crisper drawer feels a bit flimsy but it is a nice fridge. Our electricity consumption has definitely dropped. I think it’s very energy efficient.

Purchased in February 2020 at The Good Guys.

Katie K

Katie KSydney, NSW

4 days in and it’s hell

Purchased in February 2020 at Winning Appliances WA, O'Connor for A$988.00.

Household Size 3 person(s)

The worst appliance I've ever purchased

I've had nothing but trouble with this fridge since I bought it. The door warped twice and had to be replaced. The main chip was faulty and had to be replaced (just stopped working one day). I was told by the repairman that he was replacing lots of these faulty chips in this model. The door handle broke off twice due to poor design and the fridges door suction (which is inconsistent). And to top it off, it keeps freezing items in the fridge portion even at the lowest temperature setting. There is no consistency with temperature. I have never hated a product so much.

Purchased in March 2016 at Harvey Norman for A$1,300.00.

Household Size 2 person(s)

Disappointed- company disregard for environmental footprint

Purchased in July 2017 at Harvey Norman for A$1,200.00.

Richard

RichardGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Westinghouse Fridge WBE4500 BB

Bought the 453L bottom mount fridge and the fridge stopped working with in two months, called Westinghouse , Westinghouse sent the technician on the same day, technician concluded that the compressor was bust and recommended a replacement. Westinghouse unable to replace the fridge for more than a week. Disappointing. No compensation was offered for inconvenience.

Kelley R

Kelley RPerth, WA

Reliable Fridge - Design Improvements Needed

Purchased in June 2019 at RetraVision for A$888.00.

maldemer

maldemerPeel, WA

Badly designed main door handle

Bought from Harvey Norman Mandurah WA Store in November 2018. Fridge has worked well until recently during hot weather, really good door seals made opening difficult due to air cooling inside causing difficulty in opening main fridge door. The extra pulling force on the handle caused handle to break off and we had to crack the seal before opening the door by pulling the top of the door. Very poor mechanical design on the handle clips with flimsy plastic retainers caused the failure. A replacement handle under warranty took weeks to arrive with instructions to DIY installation. Some redesign of the mounting is definitely required to provide a stronger fitting

Purchased in November 2018 at Harvey Norman Retail Stores - Appliances.

Nicholas D.

Nicholas D.South East Queensland, QLD

Hasn't stopped yet

Had the fridge for 1 year so far and it has been a set and forget experience. Very low power usage compared to my older fridge of 7 yrs. Only gripe would be with the design of the freezer, with all the compartments and ice drawer it really reduces usable space.

Purchased in December 2018 at Betta Home Living for A$1,199.00.

Chris S

Chris SSouth East Queensland, QLD

Not cooling in less than 3 years

Bought the fridge in March 2017 and up until a week age I was happy with the product and then it has lost the ability to cool anything. The fridge can now just do 14 degrees. Not good enough if you need 3-7 degrees for food and medicine.
Called the hotline and all they said was 'out of warranty', provided me with some phone numbers to give the service people a call to get it fixed at my expense.
The fridge is less than 3 years old, where is the customer care? Not sure if the brand / manufacture is proud of its product and performance as it seems I'm not the only one with cooling issues.

Purchased in March 2017 for A$999.00.

Review

Review

Great fridge

This fridge has been excellent, love the bottom mount configuration with drawers. Looks stylish. Specialised fridge tupperware works better than the crisper drawers. If anything it is a bit small and it gets filled quickly, but there was only the space to put a small fridge in the kitchen. The door baskets help free up some space as they are spacious and the sides of the baskets are high enough that short items will not fall out when opening the drawer too fast.

Purchased in June 2019 at Bing Lee for A$939.00.

FreshGal

FreshGal

Great fridge

I really like the fridge and it keeps food cold however my only bug bear is the layout. I feel like the space could be better utilised. Other than that it’s a great fridge!

Purchased in October 2018 at Appliances Online for A$1,098.00.

Michelle

MichelleSydney, NSW

Very reliable

Everything fits perfect. Good on electricity and very quiet. I like the fact the freezer is on the lower level. I will recommend this product to all my friends and family.

Purchased in June 2018 at The Good Guys for A$798.00.

Scott

ScottMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Dony bother.

Had it 2 years now.

Died on xmas eve 2016 and we were stuffed until a few days later.
Was promised a voucher to redeemfor replacing lost contents, still waiting.
Eventually replaced fridge for "new" which had dent in it, obviously floor stock.
Just died again.
Its the fan for the fridge.
The tech guy knew it before he walked in.
Terrible fridge.

Purchased in October 2016 at The Good Guys for A$1,200.00.

Internal Layout
Household Size 4 person(s)
Ka

KaPerth, WA

Huge and Shiny

Was going to buy a Haier fridge but after seeing the width will only allow 5mm on each sides, I decided to get this Westinghouse which will have 3cm on each sides (the space in my son's kitchen only 800mm width. And its has bottom freezer and a compact ice maker which my son love. I had many Westinghouse fridges before, so I better stick to one and have a very good discount before spending more than $3G at The Good Guys. It has simple front design, the ONLY drawback its come only on Right Hand opening so if your fridge cavity is on your left than taking eggs out to the cooking bench you have to close the door first but for its sleek and white design plus plenty of space inside I am ok with it.

Purchased in April 2019 at The Good Guys.

Household Size 3 person(s)

Spent a long time reseaching. We’ve owned this fridge for 3 years and love it. Nothing bad to report

I spent more time researching and deliberating when I bought a fridge than when I bought my house. Now it’s been 3 years since I bought this fridge (and my aunt bought one too) and I am just as happy as the day I bought it.

Most online reviews are written after something goes wrong so it’s hard to get a sense for the overall quality or reliability of a given fridge.

I’m happy to report that nothing has gone wrong in 3 years for my aunt or me. The fridge is reliable, quiet, efficient and user friendly.

The main selling points for me were the stainless steel look and option of a left hand side opening door.

Purchased in March 2016 at Bing Lee.

justin

Date PurchasedNov 2018

Samasked

453L Bottom Mount

Hi there,
I appear to have the same issue as a few other threads posted. The fridge started getting warmer 2 nights ago, but the freezer was still cold as and functioning as normal. The fridge was bought from a factory seconds retailer in July 2018. This is disappointing to know that it was out of its 6 month manufacturer warranty. I checked the fridge coils and they were excessively iced up, I then defrosted the fridge manually for 24 hours and turned it back on. The next day the fridge/freezer was working per normal, but I was worried about the reliability and spoilage of food, hence called out a refrigeration technician look at it, only to tell me that the heating element is heating up, but unsure if its the heating sensor within the heating element or the PC board. The technician suggests to leave it for one week and check if this occurs again, if so call them back and they will replace the heating element (as the sensor is integral with the heater) and then if it does it again replace the PC board. This seems ridiculous for a well known brand and not even 2 years old in operation. I don't think I'll be buying another Westinghouse fridge if this is the quality they can offer. Model WBE4500SA-R.
regards unhappy customer

rob

I like the fridge and accept that like all things can fail. Im very disappointed with the after sales service and difficult task of claiming spoilt food. The company seem to make make the claim process hard deliberately that my opinion. You should not have to argue to get what you are entitled to as a consumer.

Hi Sam,
Denise from Electrolux here.
We are sorry to hear you are experiencing problems with your fridge.
We would love the opportunity to discuss the concerns you have raised with fridge.
If you wish to discuss this further please feel free to contact me at customercare@electrolux.com.au attention Denise ticket 1415724
Thanks Denise

Hi Denise,
Yes please can we discuss further? As a fridge of this manufacturer and value should be lasting 7+ years, not less than 2 years. I have emailed you on that email address and have not heard anything back in 4 days from you or your team at electrolux.
Can this please be actioned.
Thanks Sam

Annette L.

Annette L.asked

453L Bottom Mount

I have a bottom mount fridge freezer, can I remove the freezer door without removing the fridge door first?

Dave

Daveasked

WBE4500WA (White)

I bought the WBE4500WA in June 2016. I had no problems until about 10 days ago. The fridge compartment got warm. I called a local repair person. He took out the plate at the back of the freezer and used a heat gun to melt the ice on the coil - about one third of the coil was iced up. He said it could happen again in a few days or it might not happen again for a year. Six days later the fridge compartment was warm again. We took off the plate at the back of the freezer and melted the ice with a hairdryer. Fridge cooled down again. The repair person said that it could be any one of a number of things and he could change them all one by one but despite this the problem could still recur.
So it looks as if we'll have to buy another fridge as there is no point paying for repairs if the problem may not be fixed. It won't be a Westinghouse after this experience.
I think it is quite ridiculous that a fridge should fail so soon. Our neighbours also had problems with Westinghouse fridges - had 2 or 3 that had problems soon after purchase and ended up buying another brand.
We bought our first fridge-freezer in 1981 - a Kelvinator. We had it for 17 years and it was still working fine. We only changed it because we were moving and my husband thought that the move might affect the fridge so we got rid of it. Then we had just a small bar fridge for about 4 to 6 years - no problems. In the early 2000s we bought a second hand Westinghouse from friends who were moving. We had no problems with it at all. We only got rid of it because I have back and hip problems and I wanted a bottom mount fridge. We gave the old Westinghouse to a local op shop.
Deirdre

Get an answer from our members and Westinghouse representatives