Westpac Home and Contents Insurance

Westpac Home and Contents Insurance

Damage in December 2018 still waiting for service

Very disappointed in delay in commencing work on claim still being assessed almost 6 months after claim lodged. Many calls and contact with assessor have not progressed to any decision.

Property TypeHouse
Type of ClaimEscape of Liquid
Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Claim ApprovedNo
Claim DateDecember 2018

Stay away - rude, delay, rely on externals to “assess” claims - you end up dealing with 3 people just to process a claim

Customer-of-Westpac-insurance-for-8yrs. Westpac has happily taken our premiums but when our house was storm-damaged, it shafted us-onto-external-builders-to-assess-our-claim who are rude. Makesafe didn’t happen-even though-we-told-them-it-could-seriously-harm-our-toddler. they sit on/delay claims exacerbating damage-when-you-email-or-try-to-get-in-tough-they-don’t-respond-I’m-pulling-my-mortgage-creditcard-insurance-out of-westpac.theyve-been-atrocious.

Property TypeHouse
Claim MadeYes

Westpac insurance is not even one star but for the purpose of review I had to give one

Worst insurers, people beware, dont even think of buying insurance from them. They will make you feel like a criminal even if you have a genuine claim and will be suspicious. I will be taking them to ACCC if my claim is not approved after taking two months to investigate. Also they will never contact you in first place.

Type of ClaimImpact at Home
Claim DateMarch 2019

Absolutely disgusting

They asked for a good 10 bits of information regarding my claim from phone records to bank statements. Then ask for 5 more bits of info, before I said enough is a enough either approve or reject the claim. The process is very painful and stressful. Would stay away, you wouldn’t believe this is all for around 5000 worth of lost equipment.

Claim Resolution Time1-2 months

Don't bother to put a claim your time is more valuable to spend many hours on the phone!email?good luck!

Explaining same thing for five different persons eveytime and being on the phone 40 minutes not nice.Forget about claim itself your time is more valuable. Wanna enjoy more?try to cancel your policy online!

Claim Resolution Time1-2 months

The worst place to buy Home and Contents Insurance

I wouldn't recommend using Westpac for your Home and Contents because their insurance is very expensive so I would recommend going to RACV for your Home and Contents Insurance since they are much cheaper.

Claim MadeNo

CONFUSING AND EXPENSIVE

I had a Content Claim through Westpac. Apparently Lumley Insurance handled this. I was informed the excess was $400 but the contractor charged $250.00. As always Westpac is a RIP OFF!

Coverage TypeContents Only
Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim ApprovedYes

Awful claims process for Landlord building & contents insurance

We held a policy for 8 years before our 1st claim. No such thing as loyalty, these guys fight hard to deny your claim. Our 1st claim for storm water damage was rejected based on poor workmanship. We followed instructions from the plumber & insurer and spent over $1000 on roof repairs that weren’t even required as we ended up with the same leak 3 months later. Coincidentally we had the same plumber inspect the same leak(but more severe) for the 2nd claim and we got told that it’s a completely different issue....the downpipes were blocked with debris. If we were told this months earlier, we could have avoided further leaks and unnecessary costs. Based on poor workmanship of the plumber, the claim was approved but not without hassle. We had to fight for that approval and approval alone took 3 weeks, total length of claim & repairs was just over 2 months. The whole process left us beyond stressed and emotionally exhausted due to the lack of support and urgency.

Insurance claim madeYes

Never call you back, loose information and always looking for a way out of paying for a claim

I am a major Westpac client and was told by Westpac that it was a great product - they 'assured' me it was one of the best around. I have now tried to make a storm damage claim and have been given the absolute run around making a claim, they have lost information and are making it as difficult as possible. Making a claim is where the 'rubber hits the road' DO NOT INSURE WITH WESTPAC.

Insurance claim madeYes

OMG Westpac Insurance is unbelievably bad. All bad reviews are true.

I have been insured with Westpac for 16 years for contents and landlord insurance. I worked for Westpac for over 30 years and believed that Westpac Insurance was one of the best, until I had to make a claim. Made a simple claim for $1500 less $500 excess - $1000 for storm water damage to main bedroom carpet. After a month and multiple phone calls and emails still getting automatic response - we will be in touch in 7 days. Sent all requested information, photos, invoices, statements but this morning, again, they said they need more information. What more information? The information they asked for I sent already, several times, in detail. The operation wouldn't budge just say they need more information. The operators have no authority and just stall until the client gets fed up and does not renew the policy. Effectively I believe I am not insured because if something else happens the same response will happen. Westpac Banking Corporation have you read the bad reviews about the insurance that carry your name? This is no way to do business. Do not consider using this insurance company.

Insurance claim madeYes

Westpac Insurance paid $2000 towards damage caused by a flood estimated at $214,000 to repair

I have been with Westpac Insurance and had premium cover including Natural disaster cover for the last 8 years. I have also run personal and business accounts through Westpac for the last 23 years. With their insurance I have made no claims until April 28th 2018. I had a flood that caused over $200, 000 of damage and has prevented me getting access to my property for the last 6 months. Westpac Insurance have said that because my driveway to my property was not tar sealed or concreted then they would only cover the cost of the lost fencing($2000)!!!!!! 6 months of going through all their appeals and through the Ombudsman have resulted in nothing more. The Ombudsman tried to get a payment from their out of policy fund but again not a cent more!!!! I have been paying Westpac insurance $397 per month for this "Premium cover" and to add insult to injury they sent me a renewal notice that quoted the following " At Westpac Insurance, insuring your home, contents, vehicle,boat and other belongings means you don't have to worry if things go wrong- and you won't have to start all over again if you lose everything". I am left to do the repairs myself, I am in the process of changing my insurance and banking from Westpac. I am totally disgusted with their service.

Insurance claim madeYes

Not worth the paper it is written on

Terrible experience from start to finish. Had one claim request whilst living in the same home for the past eight years. Was Unsatisfied with the attitude of the assessor and with the entire way in which the claim was handled. Must mention - it was denied. Before accepting Westpac home insurance check the rating and the reviews.

Insurance claim madeYes

Giving us the run around

12 years we have been with Westpac. We were broken into early 2017 and they still haven't finalised our claim. It's so frustrating, they keep changing the person handling our claim and asking questions over and over again. I believe they are giving us the run around so we give up. We aren't going to though. I'll till you one thing, I certainly won't recommend Westpac to anyone and we went be renewing our policy.

Absolutely Useless!!

I was told by the Insurance sales person at the branch my property was covered for everything with storm damage.
When i did try and claim for torn outside awnings that were more than 5 years old I was told that material awnings were not covered and they were old. The person in claims was just about ready my right act from a book. when i asked what I wasnt covered for , He told me to read to Policy booklet. I am definitely changing my insurance. Westpac - totally conned me, and I bet they dont even read these comments!!!

Worst Insurance Company Ever

Avoid these Muppets at all cost. Customer service was appalling and the time it had taken to settle claims was terrible. I've moved to RAC which was the best decision ever.

Insurance claim madeYes

The worst experience ever! Stay away

I've been with them for 2 years. They seem to be very customer focused when trying to get you to sign up to a contract. But when there is a claim, the only thing they don't care about is the client.
We had a burglary incident at our place, most of gas & water pipes were cut and stolen. So, we had to turn the gas and water meters off. There is no gas & water in the house for more than 3 weeks which makes the house unlivable. There is no effort from the insurance company to complete the assessment so we can start fixing the issues. I receive random emails from time to time asking for more and more documents, which some have already been sent to them 2 weeks ago. It seems there's a mess over there and no one knows what exactly is happening.
We are stuck and not sure how this will finish so we can move back to our house.

Insurance claim madeYes

Never get into this insurance, as you will donate your money to them only.

In addition to the meaningless coverage of the policy ( basically they will avoid all claims on your building, as no matter what kind of damage you are claiming about, they will say it’s because lack of maintenance), the staff of Westpac will also mock you, being rude and sarcastic to you. Marking joke at you. With all victims here: Please do not get into WESTPAC INSURANCE. If you are in, the only thing you can have is suffer.

3 claims dept staff advised policy rights - final payout changed calculation

With Westpac 4 years - OMG first and last claim.
Confirmed my policy coverage and what I was entitled to three times - even had a customer rep call me and confirm. When claim came through was told the calculation for reimbursing had "changed" that the calculation I spoke of was for "old policies". I asked to speak to a supervisor and was put through to 4 people (none of them supervisors). This firm is 100% not to be trusted. I finally was able to place a complaint (by phone call only). I will wait for response and if claim is not fulfilled as advised will be following up with my MP and asking the insurance arm of Westpac be included in royal commission investigations and also reporting issue to Finance Ombudsman.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS - Worst Insurance Company

I have heard the same thing from 4 people now and suffered first hand recently. They will give you every possible reason not to pay. You may as well not have any insurance in place at all. Trust me do yourself a favor and pay the extra somewhere else.

Stay away from Westpac insurance

Worst insurance company ever , they will push the liability of your claim into a grey area and send one of their fake engineers out to falsify a report so they can avoid paying you , Stay Away from Westpac 0/10 , no stars

Insurance claim madeYes

Why haven't all these people taken legal action or gone on 60 minutes television program?
If you go with us, we willJudging from all the recent reviews, Westpac Insurance appears to be on a consistent downward trend that breaches the Insurance Code of Practice.. Legal action anyone? 60 minutes? Current Affairs? I am inspired by the current Commissure scandal..i am ready

I have assessor coming in two days to inspect a bathroom leak slow leak over a long time, covered in my policy but after reading some reports am very worried as damage is quite bad should I record the assessor when he comes?
I am interested to know your outcome? Our experience is that Westpac Assessors comes with the intention to wash their hands of all of these claims.Record everything and use emails for a paper trail and use email follow ups for all phone calls and yes record the assessor and anything he states get it in writing before he leaves the premises Westpac and their assessors can not be trusted

if the loss assessor deem the products failed or ruined do i have the right to chose to keep my property? i have had an assessor today say that due to work place health and safety he has to take away my lounge..Help please.
Sorry, I don't know the answer to that so maybe ask the assessor to give a written explanation. David