Filter By:

Brisbane

Overall very happy with HIF

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 24, 2017

My husband and I transferred to hif from one of the major health funds due to massive price increases every year. We find hif to be very competitively priced and we like that it is a member's own fund, not a for-profit fund. When I have called, I have found my calls to be answered quite quickly. Lodging an extras claim through the app takes a few weeks to be paid, but I don't find that to be a major issue. I love that I can claim through an app....previous health fund did not even have this capability! Had to post it in or go to a branch. Very happy and have already recommended hif to a friend who joined up.

Simple question on amount claimable, difficult process

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 06, 2017

Comments
HIF (Health Insurance Fund) Official

Hello Mr Hartman, Thank you for your review, and once again please accept my sincerest apologies for your recent experience. As per our private conversation, I’m delighted that we were able to ... read more »

G

• 6 helpful votes

Insurance claim made

LONG wait times for claims

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 02, 2017

Comments
HIF (Health Insurance Fund) Official

Hi there, Thank you for your review and for your email to social@hif.com.au. As discussed, I’m really sorry to hear about your recent claiming experience. The month of June is admittedly a busy... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 comment
  • 1 helpful vote

Long wait on the phone

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 10, 2017

Called today to discuss my policy, waited 18 minutes to finally talk to someone. Just to be told it was a peak period, this is the second time this has happened. Perhaps you may need to review staffing levels in order to improve customer sercive delivery. Definitely should have looked ALL of the below reviews prior to signing up. Unacceptable customer service.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
HIF (Health Insurance Fund) Official

Hi Jess, I'm really sorry you've had this experience today! Our standard call waiting time is 3-5 minutes but I'm afraid we've been under the pump this week. You'll be pleased to hear that we've ... read more »

Just some feedback for you. I called again today on hold for 17 minutes prior to talking to someone.

• 4 comments
  • 2 answers

WAITING TO LONG ON THE PHONE

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 09, 2017

I transferred to HIF from HBF a few years ago but now I'm wondering why?
Today I rang HIF and I was put on hold for 14 minutes 47 seconds with a recorded message apologising for the delay. This is totally unacceptable and this never happened when I first joined. The service at that time was great, but waiting l4 minutes is just not on. The polite lady who eventually did answer also apologised and I said then HIF need to employ more staff to answer the phones. It better not happen again or I'm moving on once again.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
HIF (Health Insurance Fund) Official

Hello Dee, Thank you for your review, and please accept my sincerest apologies for a less than satisfactory experience with HIF on this occasion. This is certainly not how we want our members t... read more »

The consultant did answer my query very well. Thank you.

HIF (Health Insurance Fund) Official

That's excellent to hear Dee, thanks for letting me know. Kind regards, Kelsey.

Insurance claim made

They know how to take the money just not how to pay it.

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 09, 2017

I submitted my Claim over one month ago and have not been paid. The lady I spoke to said that was normal and nothing she could do and it would be another 2 weeks because of how busy they are. With the amount of money we pay and the premium increases every year, the service is along way from being satisfactory. Maybe we should be able to not pay our premiums until our claim has been paid. There is nothing you can do, than just wait until they are ready to pay you.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
HIF (Health Insurance Fund) Official

Hello and thanks for your review. I'm really sorry to hear you're still waiting for a claim to be processed and I'd love to resolve this for you quickly. In order for me to follow up the current... read more »

I have been contacted by HIF and they have apologised and sorted this issue out immediately. The phone call from the HIF representative was a breath of fresh air and I was happy with his actions.

Ascot vale

• 3 comments

Insurance claim made

Always have problems with claim delays

2 out of 5, reviewed on May 05, 2017

I always find claiming through the app results in delays in the benefit being paid. Five plus days to process a claim and when I email about it I get a response about an old claim.

It happens every time and it's extremely disappointing because rebate is great but this is frustrating. You really need to look at your turn around time and response to queries.

Comments
HIF (Health Insurance Fund) Official

Hi Monica, Thanks for getting in touch today and please accept my sincerest apologies for the delays you’ve encountered recently. I’ve just investigated this for you and it appears that our Ben... read more »

thanks for the response and I have sent you my claim.

This backlog happens quite often though. So I think a system review is required especially since premiums go up each year yet rebates don't.

fantastic rebates on optical

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 27, 2017

I just took the family for an annual eye check. I was amazed when told by spec savers that HIF had paid the lot and that I didn't have any OP expenses! that's a pair of reading glasses each and a pair of stylish sunglasses!! HIF you rock! thank you so much !!!! I will definitely recommend you to my f&f.

Comments
HIF (Health Insurance Fund) Official

Hi Channa, Thank you for taking the time to share this wonderful feedback, it’s fantastic to hear you’ve had such a positive claiming experience with HIF. I will share your review with our ... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote
Private message

Not happy about service!!! was kept waiting on the phone for over 30mins before I got a response.(I

3 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 24, 2017

1.We have found the policy ok for us at this stage in our life and also quite easy to set it all up. Customer support however needs to be looked at.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
HIF (Health Insurance Fund) Official

Hi there, Thank you for taking the time to post this feedback, I'm pleased to hear your joining experience was a positive one, however it’s disappointing to read your comments regarding our te... read more »

Unwilling to cooperate

4 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 18, 2017

Having been alerted by the comments that follow, HIF customer support rectified their error within hours. This is pleasing and I have changed the star rating accordingly. Just a pity the first point of contact did not yield the same result:

I have been left extremely frustrated by HIF's lackadaisical approach to my predicament. I am signed up to HIF's 'Super' options and recently paid for two months cover up front to take advantage of paying the lower rate before their premium increased. Today, with a rare day off scheduled tomorrow, I d
ecided to book an appointment with the dentist. I then went into HIF's member area online to discover that as far as HIF are concerned, my membership is due for renewal today. This means it will be overdue tomorrow, the day of my scheduled visit. This means my HICAPS claim will not be honoured. Obviously flawed as I have paid upfront for another two months down the line. Having double checked my bank transactions, this was confirmed. I then contacted HIF only to be told to send them an email notifying them of the issue and that it would likely be looked at within a few days. In spite of explaining that it was a matter of urgency given my appointment tomorrow, they could not look into the matter right away. Why? It is their fault and it should be a fairly straightforward procedure. One would imagine they would accept that the onus would be on them to investigate the matter immediately. I am a father working 50 to 60 hour weeks. Days off are rare and the opportunity for dentist appointments rare. I will now have to cancel my appointment and waste very precious time off proving to HIF that I have indeed paid them for the forthcoming two months. Not happy HIF. Just the sort of incident that makes people start shopping around for insurance funds that treat their customers with a little more respect.

Comments
HIF (Health Insurance Fund) Official

Hello again Jason, Thank you for taking the time to adjust your review, we really do appreciate it. I’m delighted to hear that we were able to resolve your query so quickly and I hope your visi... read more »

Melbourne

Best value my circumstances

4 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 31, 2017

I rarely write reviews about things but felt the need to write a positive one about HIF. After being fed up with the lack of value I was getting from BUPA and the increasing restrictions of which health providers I could see, I contacted a third party health insurance reviewer and whilst reluctant to go through the process, I am actually glad the operator found HIF for me.

I have had no issues with HIF since signing up, all my waiting periods were matched and I have received more value from HIF than I would have ever done with my previous
fund. There are rarely any 'preferred' providers which allows me to choose which health professionals I would like to see. I have only ever once had to call customer support and whilst there was a long wait via telephone (I rang late on a Friday afternoon!), I eventually ended up emailing their team and got a prompt response.

My disclaimer is that for the specific extras I use and because I do not need extensive hospital cover, I have only good things to say about HIF. Their claiming system is extremely easy and rebates get deposited electronically within a few days.

Admittedly the increase in premiums for the upcoming year were a bit steep but I have chosen to prepay for the next few months which saves me some money. Whilst still happy with HIF, I do research regularly as to what other health funds are offering and I am yet to find a better policy for my life circumstances at this point in time.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
HIF (Health Insurance Fund) Official

Hello Fmyt, Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a wonderful review, especially as you rarely write them. As a not for profit health fund, we pride ourselves on providing a great ... read more »

Excellent Customer Service.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 28, 2017

Excellent value, easy to set up, unbeatable Customer Support. Would highly recommend HIF. Was recommended to us by a third party Health Insurance reviewer and moved across after almost 15 yrs with another provider. Claim submitted and paid seamlessly. Customer service second to none (after a considerable wait but first thing consultant did was apologise for the wait). Overall, extremely professional.

Comments
HIF (Health Insurance Fund) Official

Hello Ms TB, Thank you for your wonderful review, I’m delighted to welcome you to HIF. We pride ourselves on providing excellent customer service, so to hear feedback like this really does make ... read more »

1 of 7 pages

Hi - I am currently a GoldSaver member, and wanted to inquire how obstrecian fees under pregnancy? I got the rebate back from medicare? Do HIF cover the gap? How can I check? My doctor is Dr. Nader Bakhit in Liverpool. Please advise if the treatment costs are covered by HIF?

Elaine asked on Jul 11, 2017

Hi Elaine,

Thanks for getting in touch and congratulations on your pregnancy.

To answer your question, yes - your HIF GoldSaver Hospital policy absolutely covers you for any inpatient obstetrician and labour fees (once you’re admitted to hospital). So when the time comes for you to be admitted to hospital to give birth, we’ll be there to help you with the medical bills.

Depending on the hospital and specialists you choose though, some out-of-pocket expenses may apply so we always advise our members to provide HIF with an itemised medical estimate prior to admission. That way, we'll be able to confirm how much you can claim back and ensure any out-of-pockets are kept to a minimum. Your obstetrician will be able to provide you with that estimate, so once you have a copy please feel free to send it directly to me on social@hif.com.au and I’ll ensure a benefit estimate is generated for you as a matter of priority.

Please note that private hospital insurance only pays benefits on inpatient services though; so for any associated outpatient services such as planning fees, scans or consultations, you can only claim a rebate from Medicare.

Does that help to answer your question Elaine? If you need any further clarification though, please don’t hesitate to contact me and I can arrange for a consultant to give you a call to explain this in more detail.

Warm regards,

Kelsey Donnelly
(Digital Marketing Coordinator)

I was wondering if HIF covers the removal of a lapband? I have Gold Cover. And what if I wanted to have weight loss surgery in the future, what types of surgery does Gold cover? Thank you.

Monica asked on Feb 23, 2017

Hi Monica,

Thank you for your question.

With regards to the removal of a lapband and weight loss surgery, you’ll be happy to hear that this is included on your Gold Hospital cover (providing it’s deemed medically necessary by Medicare). It’s important to note however that a 12 month waiting period applies, so if you’ve been with HIF for 12 months on this level of cover, we will certainly pay a benefit.

You may incur some out-of-pocket expenses though Monica, which is we always advise our members to provide HIF with an itemised medical estimate prior to being admitted to any hospital. That way, we'll be able to confirm how much you can claim back and ensure any out-of-pockets expenses are kept to a minimum. Your doctor or specialist will be able to provide you with this information so as soon as you receive this, please feel free to send it directly to me on social@hif.com.au and I’ll ensure a medical benefit estimate is generated for you.

I hope this helps, but if there’s anything else I can assist with, please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,

Kelsey Donnelly
(Digital Marketing Consultant)

Thank you very much Kelsey, that is very useful to know :)

Monica

Hi Monica, I would not recommend HIF at all. I joined in October 2016, after discovering my health insurance was not being paid by my ex. My teenage daughter was scheduled to have gastrointestinal sleeving done. I had to reschedule it all and advised very clearly upon joining HIF of this operation and if she would have to wait. The answer was no. In Feb 2017, she was booked in, I'd paid $7000 cash in gap fees and got a call late on the Friday afternoon before the operation Monday morning that HIF weren't covering the costs. I had the weekend to come up with $14000.00 cash!!! NOT one person helped. The operation went ahead thanks to my family and I'm currently struggling to pay them back. This operation has saved her life. Was not for cosmetic reasons. I'm a single parent and upon joining was advised I had to join top hospital and extras for the operation and I did that. Nearly $180.00 a fortnight premium. It has apparently been sent to the MAC for review but still haven't heard back. It was sent to them because when the Team Leader listened to my initial phone call, clearly confirmation was given that the operation would be covered.

How much is the cost for health insurance for a healthy full time working single male aged 42 with high earnings salary?

Karen Maxwell-McGeever asked on Feb 14, 2017

Hello Karen,

Thanks for getting in touch, I’m delighted to hear you’re considering HIF.

We have five great-value Hospital products and Extras products to choose from.

The prices differ based a number of variables including your location, rebate eligibility and the type of cover you would like, e.g. Hospital, Extras or a combination of both. With this in mind, I can arrange for one of our product experts to give you a quick call to discuss some cover options? That way, they’ll be able to assess your circumstances in more detail and provide a comprehensive price and benefit comparison, (obligation free of course!).

Alternatively, you can get an online quote via our interactive product selector which you can access on our homepage here - www.hif.com.au

I hope that helps Karen, but if you have more questions please don't hesitate to ask. You can email me directly anytime on social@hif.com.au.

Kind regards,

Kelsey (HIF Digital Marketing Consultant).

See all 36 questions about HIF (Health Insurance Fund)