This product has been discontinued by Holden.

Generations:
Filter By:

Generation: ZC (2003-2005) Badge: CD Body: Hatch Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Aug 2016

Worst car I've owned

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 30, 2018

An okay car when every thing is working which is hardly ever. Constant mechanical & electrical problems, cheap crappy Interior with knobs that always fall off.
I wish I never bought this car and glad to see it go, it's an unreliable LEMON
i'd Get any car but this.
Save you're money!

Private message

Generation: JS (1998-2002) Badge: CD Body: Sedan Transmission: Manual Date Purchased: Jul 2018

Was her best car til it got written off.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 05, 2018

powerful lil car. drove all round Australia in it. Loved the car surprisingly it didn't go through as much fuel as I first thought when I heard 2.2l 4cyl but it was great being able to get power when you wanted. Getting another now 2005 cd zc 2.2 manual. Already done 290,000k so what needs to be replaced next anyone know?

Whalan

• 2 questions
  • 1 answer
Private message

Generation: ZC (2003-2005) Badge: CDXi Body: Hatch Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Mar 2007

My first luxury.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 21, 2018

Smooth drive. Long distance or local. When wanted power it was there at the touch of my foot. Handles beautifully, at your fingertips and quiet.
A bit of style with suede seats adjustable, door panels and roof with wood grain marbeling trim. Comfortable legroom. Comes with drink holders and sunglasses department. Well lit dash.
It will get you anywhere you need to go with every start and I was surprised by how much I saved.

Purchased at: Australian Fleet Sales

Generation: ZC (2003-2005) Badge: CDX Body: Hatch Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: May 2012

We LOVE it!!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 11, 2018

Was looking for a newer car for the missus. Found a secondhand 2003 CDX 3.2 automatic hatchback model and fell in love with the awesome power and fuel economy of the vehicle! Nicely appointed interior with beautiful woodgrain inserts. Performance, handling and the lack of road noise is a great change to the cars we have had. Very roomy inside, comfortable seating, and an overall awesome car to drive!
Yes, there are small quirks with it - as with any second hand car with now 170,000 kms - but overall we cannot fault it. Brakes do tend to wear, but drive to road conditions and regular services fix any problem. (You do get lemons in every vehicle range - my father bought a new VS Commodore off the show room floor back in the day, and had so many problems that they had to finally replace the engine! But that never stopped him being a Holden driver!)
Only problem we found is that we had to take the front rubber piece off the bumper as it scrapped every time we drove into the garage - being so low to the ground...
Major issue some time ago was a problem with the lights not wanting to turn off. Disconnected the battery for awhile and it seemed to have reset the computer? as the auto electrician couldn't find a fault with it.
Would definitely buy a new one - if they were still making them!

Adelaide

• 15 answers
  • 2 helpful votes
Private message

Generation: JS (1998-2002) Badge: CD Body: Wagon Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Sep 2015

Excellent if you are a mechanic - nice to drive, and to get dirty fixing it.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 11, 2018

My particular Veccy came to me rather than be scrapped. It was unloved by the previous few owners.

I replaced the blown engine, transmission, installed ABS, cruise control, the passenger and side airbags, replaced the A/C and got the car on new suspension components. The interior was upgraded to a CD-spec with nice carpets, seats, and the multi display unit.

The car doesn't miss a beat, but it's old. And old cars need PLENTY of maintenance to keep going.

All 2.2L Vectras come with a free feature - head gasket failure - they ALL have it. It's a matter of when, rather than if. My particular machine was showing signs when I got it - some bunny put a can of gasket repair in the cooling system, necessitating a replacement radiator.

For a car that's now considered scrappable, going beyond what P-Platers will drive these days, if you have one, and you are handy - they are excellent to learn the skills about car repair.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Generation: ZC (2003-2005) Badge: CDXi Body: Hatch Transmission: Manual Date Purchased: Jul 2017

The absolute epitome of a lemon

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 14, 2017

This was my first ever car purchase. Performance wise, when it was actually working, this car was fun, quite fast and surprisingly had good fuel economy. When I purchased this, I was surprised at how nice the clutch was and its has quite luxurious features for a car of its ages such as a large multi-function screen where I could change multiple settings, as well as heated leather seats, great sound system, comfy, bolstered front seats, nice interior and boot space and overall, the car looked great. That's about as far as the pros go. The first week of driving the car, I had found that the blower fan resistor wasn't working at all, and upon taking the glove-box out and removing the part, we found that it had been heavily corroded so, I ordered a new part from the UK as it was not available in Australia at all. I must note that I do not thrashed the car in any way, shape or form. I happily drove the car for about 3 months and noticed a burning smell. I took off the lid for the oil and there was a build up that resembled mustard. I thought maybe it was an issue of a bit of condensation but boy was I wrong. I proceeded to check the coolant, this time it resembled mud. I did drive the car at all besides taking it to the mechanic and it was diagnosed to be a leak in the oil cooler, and a bypass would be sufficient, with the labour costing $600 due to the inconvenient placement of the oil cooler. It was later found, as first speculated that it in fact was the cylinder head. It has been going on to a month of not driving (first world problem, I know), all because this car was poorly made, poorly maintained and the placement of everything is just beyond me, as well as every mechanic that I have taken it to. It also sounds like a damn tractor must I add. I was told by the person who sold it to me that it was just the idler pulley that was making the sound and it was just a $30 part so I thought it would be fine. It turned out to be the tensioner, but that's more so the seller's fault for not disclosing the real issue and my fault for not being more wary.
It has just given me problem after problem and has not served me well at all. I have had to fork out so much money and time and it's completely not worth it at all. I wish I never bought this car and I would never recommend someone to buy it. It is simply unreliable and the parts are soo ridiculously expensive. DO NOT be fooled by its good looks and luxurious feel inside, it is not worth the headache at all. It is the epitome of a lemon.

Generation: JS (1998-2002) Badge: CD Body: Hatch Transmission: Manual Date Purchased: Jul 2002

Vectra definitely not A LEMON

4 out of 5, reviewed on May 01, 2017

Had this 2.6 litre v6 hatch since new in 2002. It has been and still is A GREAT CAR. It has well outlasted my 2004 BMW 3 series which I got rid of due to persistant oil and coolant leaks even though it had done only about 105,000 kms. Only now am I having a few minor issues which is to be expected given the age of the car.

Victory (Dandenong)

• 1 answer
Private message

Generation: JS (1998-2002) Badge: CDXi Body: Sedan Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Mar 2017

My first car

4 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 27, 2017

It is a 2.2 litre car with 4 cyl engine, 5 doors 4 seats sedan. I am feeling nice to have this car. The car is very smooth to drive. Good mileage and control. Soothing look. Fluent efficient. Economic car. Its security system is really amazing. It is my first car.

MELBOURNE

• 11 helpful votes
Private message

Generation: ZC (2003-2005) Badge: CDXi Body: Hatch Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Sep 2014

Piece of crap

1 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 07, 2017

Worst car one could purchase! Servicing is super expensive as are parts. Cheaper to drive a BMW. The driving experience feels like you are driving over gravel and the interior is super cheap with knobs etc falling apart and then discovering that you need to replace the entire unit if a functional knob breaks.

Purchased at: Holden Dealers

Private message

Generation: JS (1998-2002) Badge: CDX Body: Wagon Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Nov 2015

1999 Vectra Station Wagon

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 07, 2016

Bought this car with 128,000km on the odometer. First problem - timing belt incorrectly fitted. Second problem - speedo tacho working intermittently (apparently a common problem that dealers now about} Third problem - engine switching off at traffic lights - using higher octane fuel did not resolve the problem. Blew a head gasket. Sold after 12 months. Good features but just too much trouble. I will never buy another Opel based Holden.

Canberra

• 12 answers
  • 3 helpful votes
Private message

Generation: JS (1998-2002) Body: Sedan Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Jun 2016

Holden Vectra A Study In Maintenance

4 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 05, 2016

The Holden Vectra when purchased in July 2016 had 64k on the clock and is 16 years old. A comfortable 'sporty' feel gives a feeling of confidence. A study of reports on this model suggested timing belt and coolant related problems.

The timing belt has to be replaced at 120k or 8 year intervals. In theory, this Vectra had had one timing belt replacement at 8 years, this was not supported by the documented history and I suggest that the reported timing belt and associated coolant problems, are the result of poor maintenance practices.

The replacement of the timing belt invariably includes the coolant water pump, associated tensioner pulleys and the auxiliary drive belt costing $1300. You can have it done by a non dealer at a cheaper price, but at the risk of cutting corners e.g. the water pump and tensioner pulleys are not replaced. Failure to replace these items will ensure an early return, with possible coolant associated engine damage.

Owners must monitor servicings to ensure that work programmed is fulfilled - do not expect the mechanic to know your vehicles maintenance history.

August 7th 2017 Update: 1995 - 2003 JS Holden Vectra - Replacement Parts

The term 'lifetime guarantee' is defined by manufacturers as: as long as it is economical to supply parts.
While the JS Holden Vectra never had a lifetime guarantee, Holden in the main, no longer supply parts (or rather will supply some parts at great cost) for the Vectra.

The 1995-2003 JS Holden was manufactured in the EU (Germany/UK) as the Vauxhall or Opel Vectra B. The EU is the major source of replacement parts. Replacement parts can also be sourced from Repco (Aust) and Asia.

To obtain replacement parts, first obtain the factory part description and part number (and if available cost) from your local Holden dealer.

Next step, check out Repco. If Repco cannot supply, with the part description/part number search the internet under Vauxhall or Opel Vectra B. Note, it is often the case that the Holden and Vauxhall/Opel part numbers do not align, as most internet descriptions include a photo, it pays to be familiar with the part you are seeking.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Generation: JS (1998-2002) Badge: CD Body: Hatch Transmission: Manual Date Purchased: Apr 2002

A sporty good size reliable V6 Holden

4 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 02, 2016

It's a pity that most posts are done when there are negative experiences. I have had my V6 Vectra for around 14 years and it has been reliable. It has been well maintained and only now in the last 18 months started needing replacement parts. Yes they aren't as cheap as Toyota's but parts only usually get replaced once. The driver window mechanism has been replaced, now has new shocks, new brake rotors, new rocket gaskets, spark plugs, coil, injectors and oil leaks fixed. It should now continue on for more than another 100,00kms.. Interior space is excellent, seating 4 adults comfortably and the hatch boot is a fantastic size, there is no other sedan around that gets off the mark as quickly, performs well in slow traffic and on highways nor gives as much space internally!

carrum downs, victoria australia

• 8 answers

Generation: JS (1998-2002) Body: Hatch Transmission: Automatic

2.6 v6 motor

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 25, 2016

the driving is very good,like the interior of the vehicle is great/ the reliability of this particular vehicle we bought the car last week from endevour hills we were assured by the young lady that every thing is good and should pass a roadworthy.it was raining so we left the windows up till we got home then we tested the windows3 were good drivers side decided to stay down so we had a look at it.the mechanism was twisted needed replacement.then noticed that there was a puddle of oil under the car oil level sensor needs replacing /then after driving a short while the car overheated needs new thermostat but not shore where it is but assumed it would be at the inlet but no i'm told its on the outlet which is impossable to get in to undo and remove fun and games i next decided check the brakes i''ve now had to replace the front brakes as they were metal on metal so i am looking for someone who has a work shop manual for opal engine so i can finish doing this vehicle we tried to get a refund for this car but they would not hear of if these people had looked at these faults i know that becauuse they had left a brake spring off the brake caliper,after this they can put vectras on the scrap heap we will never buy another vectra its a heap very clean mechanicly up the creek our $1500 dollar car has now now gone up to something like $3200.as parts for this car are extreemly dear i stopped driving holden after my HQ but thought i would try again .but after this i will choose another type of car

Generation: JS (1998-2002) Badge: CD Body: Sedan Transmission: Manual

Okay When It's Okay

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 26, 2015

It's a good driver, nice engine but very unreliable.
It's also very tight inside the cabin, but there's a lot of gadgets (which is probably why it's so unreliable).
For the size of the car it's not economical, at about 8L per 100km which is good for a family car but not a car as small and tight as this.
Can't count how much has broken altogether but recently the starter motor died, over heated a few times and stalled plenty.

Purchased at: eBay

Sydney

• 2 answers

Generation: ZC (2003-2005) Badge: CD Body: Hatch Transmission: Automatic

Runs really well for me!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 02, 2015

Car works really well, V6 engine is really powerful yet smooth but thirsty. This car is actually not made in Australia but it's an Opel/Vauxhall made in Germany badged up for Holden here but the car did not sell well so they stopped doing it for Australia market
Just a few spot of oils leaking now that car is 96,000km. Bought second hand at 80,000km.
I had recently had to change the heating that broke down and the fan that stopped working after driving through a terrible three days storm in NSW... that about it in the last four years.

• 2 comments
  • 2 answers

Generation: JS (1998-2002) Badge: CD Body: Hatch Transmission: Manual

A really good ride.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 21, 2015

Purchased ten year old vectra, well serviced. Engine warning light kept coming on and I was warned but also told to use the good fuel every 4th tank. I used the 98 octaine and the great performance became terrific, the engine light went off, obviously the lower octaine fuel sets off the sensors. For the price its a fun car as long as your prepared to maintain it. My Nissan 260c went around Australia three times and was still a top car until stolen . I'll let you know how they compare in time.

Purchased at: Carsales.com.au

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

It has been six months now. Vinnie the Vectra is doing well and says hello. I am nearing my first service which is timing belt and a power steering pulley. Same as the 260 c which did the power ... read more »

Generation: JS (1998-2002) Badge: CD Body: Sedan Transmission: Automatic

This is lemon

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 16, 2015

I brought this one my second car...that day rediator hose broken...i call dealer to inform that but they not flaxible.im worry about it....i never ever buy holden again...as soon as i say good bye this car...and move to brand new japanes one.i lost $ 4700+700 (for hose and repair).don't buy astra its same..lemon.im verry unhappy that dealer..

Australia

• 12 answers
  • 5 helpful votes

Generation: ZC (2003-2005) Badge: CD Body: Hatch Transmission: Automatic

Designed by people that couldn't care about cars! Dodgy Holden!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 20, 2015

Holden, you make some crappy cars, but this is by far the worst, what a nightmare!!! To date the worst car I've owned, I'm never touching Holden again! EVER EVER EVER Again!!! Listen to me now, don't make the mistake and buy this. Go with Toyota, or something else, whatever you do, don't buy this!!!

Stay away from this car!!! Stay away from Holden!!!

• 4 helpful votes

Generation: ZC (2003-2005) Badge: CDXi Body: Hatch Transmission: Automatic

Served me well

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 14, 2015

Had the car since new (2004 till now) only had to replace front wheel bearing at 240,000, purchased 2 genuine ones from Germany at 2/3 cost of single one from holden. Cam belts changed at 120,000 and 240,000 as per schedule.
Can be very expensive if you rely on Holden but if you are mechanically minded can be cheap to maintain.
Drives well, plenty of power, economical for a v6, I get about 8.2l/100km or about 640k out of a tank (drove from Adelaide to Sydney on two tankfull's).
huge boot, have carried all sorts of gear in it, even half a tonne of bricks.
Only upgrading to get a car with a bigger boot

Generation: JS (1998-2002) Badge: CDXi Body: Hatch Transmission: Automatic

Do not waste your money

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 10, 2015

Looks good, drives ok only when it's working.
2 radiators, pumps, 2 head gasket kits and every thing else that goes with fixing these problems within 2 years later and I'm broke.
Car sales should not sale them.
Save your time and money do not buy
They should recall this Model and refund the owners

1 of 4 pages