Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Sep 2018

Terrible Chemical Smell Made me Sick

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 10, 2018

Not recognised as a fault, but mattress did come with a very strong chemical smell. I tried the bicarbonate of soda treatment as recommended but it did not make a lot of difference. Smell lasted over a month. As I was reacting with headaches and nausea I had to vacate my bedroom for over a month. I did not read the small print on purchase and did not see that outside of metro area I had to pay return costs. I waited for smell to go then tried to get used to the mattress but it was too firm. Unwilling to put up with this for the next 10 years I paid for its return and am out of pocket $230.00 return freight. Very unpleasant experience all round.

Ready to order again

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 09, 2018

Ordered our first queen size a month ago.
Easy to order, fast delivery, no hassle to unwrap, not heavy at all to put into place.
Improved my daughter’s back.
Cool on hot nights, warm on the cooler ones.
No weird smell.
Very impressed, ready to order the next one.

Wonderful product.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 08, 2018

Mattress is firm and comfortable. I have not had a sore back since sleeping on this mattress. I have a somewhat fidgety partner that moves around a lot and used to wake me up due to the mattress moving, since sleeping on the Koala mattress I barely notice her movements. I am sleeping well and fall to sleep a lot easier. The mattress feels like it is durable and of high quality. Love it.

Date Purchased: Nov 2018

Love it. Great service and great product.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 07, 2018

Great mattress. Purchase and delivered in under 6 hours. Great to sleep on and no regrets. Really would recommend to others, it’s not a small expense but one worth getting right.

Redcliffe, Queensland

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Aug 2018

Fantastic mattress

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 05, 2018

I absolutely love my mattress. It felt a little firm for the first night or two but then I was extremely comfortable and having very restful sleep. My husband is a very restless sleeper but I do not have any partner disturbance. It is also very supportive. Its firm but soft at the same time - very hard to explain but I am very happy with it and will be buying my son one when the time comes and highly recommend this mattress. Ordering online was extremely easy, I ordered it Monday at 4pm and it arrived Tuesday morning. Extremely efficient.

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Oct 2018

Should have bought this mattress years ago!!!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 05, 2018

Since the day it was delivered (2hrs from the time I paid can u believe!) we have been in love with our koala mattress! It is a tiny bit shorter on length than our original mattress but we have bed heads so was fine.
My partner was struggling to get a good sleep due to shoulder stiffness but the mattress has definitely reduced his discomfort. He also turns around in his sleep but now I can't feel him doing it. We both look forward to jumping into bed and still say every night, "god I love this mattress."
It did take a few weeks to get used to the sides being softer, ie. the old one had a metal frame so u could sit on it and put yr socks on but the koala sinks. Not a big deal considering everything else about the mattress is spot on!!! Congratulations koala team on some great design work

• 1 review

Date Purchased: Dec 2018

BE WARNED

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 03, 2018

Ordered for 4 hour delivery on the Friday afternoon. Didn't arrive. Spoke to customer service who basically said "Sorry, Monday is the earliest we can do now".

Slept on an air bed all weekend. Monday arrives, I'm told delivery will be between 10am and 2pm. It's now 2:40pm and the tracking map shows the truck has now gone past my suburb.

Sent a message to customer support - no response.

Disgraceful when you've just spend $3,000 on a bed and a couch with no communication and 2 total failures at delivery.

Horrendous experience. Do not recommend dealing with this company.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Koala Official

Hi EH, We're really sorry to hear about your experience. I sent a message through to you yesterday on product review but didn't receive a reply. May you please email me your original order number? ... read more »

Amazing mattress

4 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 03, 2018

Comfortable and supportive. Would say it is a firm mattress. Have had for a couple of weeks now and loving it. Have both the mattress and the bed base. Initially we tried the mattress on a ikea frame and didnt like it so purchaed the koala bed base and works much better with the mattress.
Base is easy to build. Only question is whether the bed heaboard is meant to move?
Bed slides a bit on the base but not when sleeping on it.
Great customer service. A bit annoying canberra is considere regional so not eligible for the free returns but no issues for us with mattress or bed so hopefully we won’t have to return it!

SO comfy

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 03, 2018

SUCH a comfortable mattress - we went from a double to a king size so it's even more luxurious!

I do find that when my partner moves a lot the mattress does bounce a little.

Comments
Koala Official

Thanks for the kind review Kate!

All round winner!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 30, 2018

Both my husband and I have suffered from neck and back pain. My husband would normally wake up groaning due to pain, until the morning where we order the Koala Mattress. We ordered it at 8:45 and it was at our house by 10:43! Less than 2 hours! Of course, we were a bit sceptical initially but after the first night, I couldn't believe how much better my upper back, neck & shoulders all felt and no grumpy husband too! All round winner!

Comments
Koala Official

Stephanie - we are so pleased to hear that you have had such a great experience with Koala!

Sandon Mattresses

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 29, 2018

We have purchased 10 mattresses for our holiday house and my mates 86 your old dad has not been sleeping well at all due to a bad back and shoulder. He went to sleep on a Koala mattress at 9 pm and we needed to wake him at 10 am the next day as we thought he was dead. The best mattress he has ever slept on and was going home to order one.

• 1 comment
  • 1 helpful vote

Date Purchased: Nov 2018

The chemical smell is unbearable

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 28, 2018

Your foam smells like a plastics factory. I can see why people are complaining about it. So so so bad. I want to throw it out. It’s not safe. This needs to be addressed.

Comments
Koala Official

I understand exactly where you are coming from. The smell should be gone within 1-2 weeks. That being said some people are more sensitive to smell and so a new mattress or car may be noticeable for... read more »

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Apr 2017

Glad I invested, I love my Koala!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 26, 2018

I love my Koala mattress! I was treated to an immediate improvement in sleep, as well as my back pain being pretty much eliminated in the first week. I never expected my back to be 100% after years of manual labor & lots of heavy lifting, but most days I feel pretty close. I've found my mattress to be firm & supportive, warm in winter & breathable in summer (if no mattress protector is used). The mattress has a slight impression from me sleeping in the one spot every night, but it still offers a great, supportive, & comfortable nights sleep. I will definitely be investing in another Koala mattress when this ones time is up.

Comments
Koala Official

Hey Jac!
Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review here!
We're really pleased to hear the mattress is working well for you.

Adelaide

• 1 answer

Excellent mattress ever purchased

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 26, 2018

i have used many mattresses but Koala mattress is the best till now. I usually get up everyday with either neck or back pain. But after sleeping in koala mattress, i don't have any pains more. Feeling fresh everyday.

Comments
Koala Official

How good! Thanks for sharing your experience, Senthil

Perfect

4 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 26, 2018

So far so good, Have not noticed any improvement in my back & neck pain but I definitely sleep better. Mattress is firm . Appears to be durable , but it’s early days. I’m very happy so far.

Comments
Koala Official

Thanks, Jen!

Melbourne

Koala Cuteness

4 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 25, 2018

My back was was aching with my old mattress and then I came across the Koala website (with a lot of good reviews) so thought I'll give it a go. Though was a bit worried at first as they say it might hurt the first few days because of the firmness of the mattress, but lucky me I felt like my back was totally relieved the minute I lie on it and my back ache was gone after a couple of days. Few days ago I got a back injury due to sports and again I felt that my back was well supported when I sleep at night. On top of that, I've also adopted a koala whilst getting this mattress! :)

Comments
Koala Official

Thanks Kiro!

Date Purchased: May 2018

Throwing it out

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 25, 2018

Sleeps hot. Has started dipping where I sleep. I wish I could return it but the 100 day trial has finished. Will throw it out next collection day and get a new one.

Comments
Koala Official

Hi Matthew, We sent you a private message earlier this week through product review, hope you received it? Please don't throw it out, we'd really like to look into the dipping issue and find a solu... read more »

• 11 comments
  • 6 answers
  • 64 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Jun 2018

Not for everyone

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 23, 2018

I bought the Koala mattress in June 2018 because two of my friends had bought it and were happy, there were lots of glowing internet reviews, Choice had recommended it, and the price was good. I was confident I had done my homework and was expecting to love this mattress.

I must apologise to all the people who love this mattress (and please don't be offended), but after 5 months of persevering and really wanting to love it too, I have to admit this has been a massive fail for me. My sleep is disturbed and uncomfortable, and I wake with back pains -- especially around the shoulders -- which I never had with my old Sealy. Thankfully I kept the old Sealy in the spare room, and I've been able to do "A-B" comparisons between the two mattresses to find out why:

1) The Koala is a very "hot" mattress, and I have a very high metabolism. Even in Winter I found the mattress too hot, let alone now with the warming weather. The heat radiating back from the mattress builds relentlessly until it wakes you in a sweat and you can't fall asleep again, and this goes on all night. Even after removing all blankets and just sleeping with a cotton sheet, my back was burning from the mattress and yet my chest was cold. And yes, the mattress is on a slat bed with plenty of air circulation. If your friends or partner describe you as "radiating heat" you probably have a high metabolism. I did some research and discovered foam and latex mattresses are the hottest of all.

2) Side-Sleeping caused shoulder / back pain. I didn't have shoulder / back pain until I slept on this mattress. At first I didn't want to believe it was due to the mattress. But one morning I woke up in pain and observed I was sleeping on my side, and the mattress, being too firm for me, was pushing my shoulder up into my spine. I am fairly light (about 60kg) so this mattress is probably too firm for me. I tried all sorts of pillows but they didn't help.

I noticed that when I went back to my old Sealy mattress (a softer "plush" mattress), the shoulder and back aches went away within 2 days, and I was sleeping much better. Unfortunately, I can't stay in the spare room (for other reasons) so I have to put up with the Koala until Xmas when I can buy a new mattress during the sales.

In summary, the Koala mattress hasn't worked out for me, and I suspect it's because I have a "hot" high metabolism body, I'm fairly light (60kg) and I like to sleep on my side, so I'm finding the mattress to be too hot and too firm.

Purchased at: Myer

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

North Bondi

• 1 review

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Feb 2017

Initially loved but after 6 months mattress started sagged in middle

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 23, 2018

I was initially so impressed with this mattress and the overall vibe of the company. Great communication, quick delivery and at the start, a product I loved and raved about to all my friends, even convincing at least 4 of them to purchase one.
After about 6 months of using the mattress and sleeping well, I noticed it started to sag in the middle and now over a year on, it's almost unusable and I need to order another mattress as I believe it's started to cause me back and shoulder pain which i never had before. I am a single guy, weighing about 75kg and habitually have always slept on the edge of my mattresses, so I can't explain the deterioration of the support in the middle of the mattress.

Although i realise the mattress is priced cheaper than many on the market, I would have hoped to at least get more than 6 months comfortable sleep out of it and despite my initial happiness with the experience, I've now been left pretty disappointed and frustrated that I'll now need to fork out for another mattress so soon.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has had similar problems?

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Oct 2018

So good I bought two

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 23, 2018

We bought a king size for home and after a year it hasn’t changed from the perfect mattress we loved, then when we bought a caravan we just had to have a Koala (queen) mattress in it too.
We were used to a latex mattress but over the first few of the 6 years we had that mattress (that we paid double of the Koala) it sagged quite dramatically and was too soft, which gave us back aches.
The Koala is firm yet has a soft surface at the same time. It is quite a light weight mattress and just suits us perfectly, especially as there is minimal vibration when your partner moves.

Comments
Koala Official

Hey Phil!

Thanks for taking the time to write this thorough review we really appreciate it and I am sure potential buyers do too!

1 of 131 pages

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to turn or rotate my Koala Mattress?

As it is polyurethane foam-based, Koala mattresses disperses weight evenly. Unlike spring-based mattresses, you do not need to routinely turn or rotate your mattress.

Is there a weight limit to using a Koala Mattress?

The mattress has been tested with several weighted dummies, up to 240 kg (530 lbs), and is suitable for most, if not all body types.

Why do I feel hot when using a Koala Mattress?

A foam-based mattress warms up more in comparison to conventional, spring-based mattresses after some use. Koala recommends changing the fabric type of your bed sheet or fitted sheet if you feel warm.

Do I need a bed base with a Koala Mattress?

A Koala Mattress works with any bed base type, including slat and ensemble bases. Koala recommends that you do not use your mattress directly on the floor for hygienic reasons.

Latest Consumer Questions

Has this proven to work for children with ecezma?

tess asked on Nov 27, 2018

Answer this

To be honest, its just couple of weeks we are using the mattress so not sure how good for children with ecezma. But the material they used is really good and comfortable compare to the other usual mattress in the market.

Recently purchased a koala mattress but seem to be overheating, and quite a lot of heat being retained in the mattress. I am normally fine on other mattresses and have tried two different types of sheets (one eucalyptus and one cotton) and two different quilts (one all season and one summer) with limited success. Bed has wooden slates. Is this normal to feel so hot?

Dave asked on Nov 18, 2018

Hi Dave,

Oh no that does not sound very comfortable for you, are you able to send an email to support@koala.com with your order number and one of our team will be able to help you out - we really do want you having a nice cool sleep and our mattress and sheets are both designed for this.

Sweet Dreams

Help! I just found tiny micro bed bugs crawling on my Koala mattress I'm absolutely devastated. I will remove the cover and wash it to try kill them and I will try every way possible to eliminate the critters however if need be and all other preventative measured dont work am I able to purchase another cover? King Size mattress

Daniela S asked on Nov 13, 2018

Answer this

Yes, just contact Koala and they will sort that out for you.

Hey Daniela, that's no good at all! Send an email to support@koala.com with your order number and we can help you out.

See all 254 questions about Koala Mattress