Generations:
Filter By:

RYDE

• 2 helpful votes
Private message

Verified Purchase Generation: TC (2016-2018) Badge: GT Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Jul 2018 Drive: AWD

Great engine and gearbox, internal storage a let down

4 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 07, 2018

Great engine and gearbox so smooth and lots of torque. Gearbox shifts so nicely, would be nice if was 8 speed, but seems to work just great as a 6 speed. Interior is nice, however it does lack storage compartments compared to other vehicles in its class. Find receipts, tickets etc, difficult to find a home while driving. The boot is huge, however the heavily raked rear window does hold it back when the 3rd row seating is up. It is also a very big car. If you have trouble parking and you park a lot in tight sydney CBD parking, then look for a smaller car, this one will drive you crazy. My one pet hate is the lack of proper day driving led lights. For a 60k car, this should be standard, not something only on the top model, cars in 20k range have led day lights. On the open road it great on fuel for such a big car. i-stop in traffic can sometimes be a bit slow to react. 12 months service @ 15ks would be nice, don't know why mazda refuse to offer this.

• 5 helpful votes
Private message

Verified Purchase Generation: TC (2016-2018) Badge: Grand Touring Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Jul 2018 Drive: FWD

Amazing car!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 22, 2018

Spacious car for a growing family! Drives well, looks great and has plenty of power! The mod cons are spot on and make driving, parking and reversing a breeze! Annual service costs are fixed and afford able. All rear seats have anchor points as well!! I absolutely love this car!!

• 35 helpful votes
Private message

Verified Purchase Generation: TC (2016-2018) Badge: Azami LE Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Sep 2018

Good but not great- Struggling to enjoy and like the car

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 26, 2018

Went from Kia Sorento to this and after 3 weeks I preferred my KIA

Things that annoy me
1/. No road side assistance with new car purchase "unless you pay"
2/. Sun roof makes wind buffering noise as no net at front of sunroof. So very noisy and have to close when over 80kms
3/. No radio station indicator of channel or station when in NAV on screen
4/. Very easy to wheel spin front wheels for over 4 seconds. for AWD I expect much better
5/. uses 12-14kms per 100... nowhere near the 8 in brochure
6/. Fuel cap indicator icon around wrong way
7/. Bluetooth on phone gets choppy noise like a popping noise regularly
8/. No cigarette power adaptor in center console or middle.. only on left passenger side.
9/. android auto constantly locks up and freezes for 5-8 seconds when using voice commands.
10/. MP3's always goto next track 2 seconds before end or track.
11/. Heated steering wheel very slow to heat up.. around 4-6 mins. and only very small portion on sides are heated.
12/. No lumbar support
13/. arrangement of lights on dash very hard to see as most below steering wheel line of site
14/. steering wheel very heavy and makes gear noises when turning.
15/. Also had issues with lane keep assist in rain. constantly kept trying to stear the car back into lane and was very unnerving.. until I figured out howto turn off. Even Mazda dealer didn't relise the car did this!

Overall not very impressed and having buyers regret wishing I got the Santa FE or Sorento.
Very thirsty and lacking that design layout thats practical. Find myself getting annoyed by the very front wheel dominance drive and layout and functionality.

I was very excited to get a top of the line Azami but after 3 weeks not feeling enthusiastic for brand.
Im hoping it grows on me.

Edit: 2 months in and still hating the car more than ever.
Things Im hating
* No pollen or air filter in cabin - constant exhaust fumes when stuck in traffic unless you put on recirculate
* Dash / speed surrounds so flimsy
* Cruise control has to be set 2-3 kms above what you want to sit on
* Car uses 12-15 ltrs/100kms nowhere near the 8 in brochure
* back tail gate doesn't open and close smoothly. also sometimes closes as soon as you hit button with no delay
* android auto freezes constantly
* they fixed the little wind buffer thing on sunroof apparently was stuck down
* no roadside assistance
* position of seat buttons in really bad location and also dont light up so very hard to see at night
* many important buttons etc dont illuminate
* no 12v adapter near driver that can easily access..
* Sound through Boss system is horrendous.
* Car stops in traffic and sometimes big delay when starting back up again.. 1-2 seconds if you need to move fast is annoying

Already thinking of selling the car and having buyers regret. Every week something else that annoys me.
Missing my KIA sorento and thinking probably should have got anything else other than the Mazda CX9 azami le

Disappointing as was really looking forward to getting car but not loving it and dont think I ever will

Purchased at: Mazda Dealers

Newcastle

Private message

Generation: TC (2016-2018) Badge: Classic Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Oct 2016

Big car but great...

4 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 18, 2018

When I first got this car I had to adapt to driving a car which was much bigger than any prior car that I would have driven before. However now that I am driving it for a year, I am extremely happy with having gone up a car size or two. The boot space is amazing and perfect for a trip away, or just to fit in my child's pram and the shopping. I love the rear camera as it obviously helps with parking. This is our family car and we drive it daily. Would have liked it if it had a navigation system however...

CX 9 Lemona

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 21, 2018

Brakes make a crunching and grinding noise, it has continuously been back to Mt Gravatt Mazda for over 18 months. Still not fixed, plenty of excuses and and hyperbole about this and that. This car has been back to the dealership on over 30 occasions, with plenty of other issues. I am tempted to spray paint a big lemon on the back of it and park it out the front. Stay away

Goulburn

Private message

Generation: TC (2016-2018) Badge: Luxury Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Jun 2018

Great car

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 19, 2018

This is our daily drive. We do more than a 1000km a month. The CX9 is a very comfortable car with great safety features. The 7 seat option is the best around. Comfy even for adults in the third row, and easy to get in and out.
Stack of room in the boot.

Generation: TC (2016-2018) Badge: Grand Touring Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Aug 2017

Okay - stay away from Melville Mazda

3 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 30, 2018

Car is okay - have had it for nearly a year now. Navigation system is a nightmare. I no longer use it as it often takes you the longest route possible. It is frustrating and difficult to programme so I am back to the google maps on the phone.
Bluetooth feature works well. It picks up a paired phone easily.
Visibility is limited. Lots of blind spots and it feels dark and close. If you are tall make sure you sit and test drive. We didnt have my 6ft 3" husband test drive and he feels quite restricted in the drivers seat.
All in all an okay car. Do not buy from Melville Mazda. Worst customer service. The manager was unbelievably rude and unhelpful and if I could have pulled out of the sale I would have. I will never buy another Mazda again after dealing with him.

Private message

Generation: TC (2016-2018) Badge: Luxury Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Jun 2017

Great 7 seaters for the price

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 03, 2018

Had mine for more than a year now. The AWd fully optioned. I agree with most of the posu]it I’ve reviews.
Plus
- quiet comfortable to drive
- third row is full seat and relatively easy to access.
- small engine but drives well up the hill, highway and city.
- good fuel economy for the size.
- cheap service. (Compared to similar size German SUV like Audi Q7).
This is a long and wide car.

Wish list
- door should auto lock once driven
- CD players.... yes i still want my CD players.

Generation: TC (2016-2018) Badge: Sport Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: May 2018

Great 7 seater

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 22, 2018

This is the first Mazda we brought and we will never regret it not only do you get a great drive but you feel like your in a top of the range car. The space for kids is great the boot space is very large in fact better then others. Safety gear is on point to

Generation: TC (2016-2018) Badge: Luxury Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Sep 2016

I like the way it drives but it suffers from some quality issues.

2 out of 5, reviewed on May 12, 2018

I like the way it drives, the space and modern comforts but it suffers from some quality issues which are becoming apparent after 1.5 years of ownership. Rust started appearing on the roof and body panels even though it’s still under warranty. Dealer has been a nightmare to deal with and warranty claims seem impossible. Overall disappointed with it as quality issues let the sporty Mazda down.

Ballarat

• 2 answers
  • 6 helpful votes

Generation: TC (2016-2018) Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: May 2017

Not a flagship car

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 09, 2018

Over this car. The car looks good and the engine although thirsty is actually quite good and the safety tech and heads up display are great and that is where the praise ends. Paint if you look at it wrong scratches and we paid for the Soul Red, Interior surfaces scratch far too easy and they look cheap and unsightly. MZ Connect is the worst infotainment system we have had it firmware updated and reset and still it freezes and does not sync contacts until halfway to your destination. "Where the heck is Carplay Mazda" . The front passenger seat rubs on the centre console and we have been waiting at least 6 months for an idea of a fix, Sungalsses holder has rattled since day one and they state it has been fixed twice but still rattling and now has scratches from their fixes. In terms of the Kodo design practical design would have been much better. They cabin is quiet and they state this and they are correct however you hear every rattle including the loud metallic clang and knock in the front end. This was apparently identified as in the front right hand brake area and the caliper was replaced. but noise came back a day later louder. Issue still not fixed after going in again and Technical request has been sent to Mazda. I do not think we will hear anything back as we are still waiting on the seat issue. In terms of service its first 10k service the dealer reversed a BT-50 ute into the front of the car and stated they would fix it. We had to chase for 6 weeks to get this done and even when the bumper was fitted they removed paint from the freshly painted bumper refitting it which should have been picked up on inspection; We are so very over this car and regret buying it we very much want to get rid of it but have a fair amount to payout over the trade in or private sale cost of the vehicle due to Mazda releasing a new model with more features a few more months after this car was purchased. I will be talking with consumer affairs in regards to what can be done eg Mazda footing some of the payout as this car is not a the quality for the price. I would advise to look at other cars out there first as we will hopefully be getting one of the new Volvo SUV's as the quality is much better.

Purchased at: Mazda Dealers

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

BEELIAR, WA

• 3 comments
  • 9 helpful votes
Private message

Verified Purchase Generation: TC (2016-2018) Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Feb 2018

I LOVE OUR CX-9 MAZDA!

4 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 20, 2018

Our Mazda CX-9 is a great-looking, comfortable, and well-built seven-seater that feels better to drive than any other big SUV near its price. Its turbo-petrol engine is economical and feels surprisingly sporty. What we like! FOUR STARS Safety, value & features, FOUR STARS Comfort & space, FOUR STARS Engine & gearbox, FOUR STARS Ride & handling, FOUR STARS Technology, FOUR STARS Shrink-wrapped dynamics, FOUR STARS Perky engine, FOUR STARS User-friendly cabin.

• 1 comment
  • 11 helpful votes
Private message

Generation: TC (2016-2018) Badge: Touring Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: May 2017

Excellent 7 Seater with great styling at a good price

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 13, 2018

I love the styling, interior comfort/space, fuel economy and the quietness of the car. There is decent space behind the third-row seat which can even fit a pram. The boot space beat other people mover like Toyota Tarago, Honda Odyssey because this car is more than 5m long. The second row can fit 2 children car seats and an adult in the middle. The 2.5L petrol turbo engine is decent and quiet, but it will be better if there is a diesel engine option.

If you want a good looking and comfortable 7 seater SUV at a great price, go check out this great car. I highly recommend it.

Melbourne

• 1 review
  • 1 comment

Generation: TC (2016-2018) Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Mar 2017

Great car overall but there are some small problems.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 12, 2018

Performance is good with 3 adults and 2 kids. You can feel the car is working very hard when adding 2 more adults to the back. It is not a proper people mover with .
Handling and corning ability are great for its size and height. Mazda did a good job here. If people are aftering real handling car they shouldn't buy any SUV.
Mazda did a good job with road noise and it is very quiet inside. Much better than the new Mazda 6
It is very reliable and mechnical sound. It is also cheap to run. Much cheaper than the 2015 Toyota Kluger we replaced.

Bad things:

Centre console gets really hot when 2nd air-con for the back is not turned on which is rubbish engineering. Tempertare can reach up to about 50 degrees depending on length of driving time. Mazda's fix is very rubbish by puting better heat shield. 2nd air-con should not generating heat when it is not in use. 2nd air-con should have cooling when geting hot. Mazda doesnt have a proper solution yet.

Piano black interior panels are bad and so easy to scratch.

Problematic NAV / multimedia system before the software updates.

Rear power door is very noisy to open and shut. More noisier when the weather is hot.

Steering wheel plastic fitting is very rubbish and so easy to move the centre picece plastic (loose). But they fix the problem in the new CX-5.

Blind spot monitoring system is not 100%. It works most of time and it wont work properly sometimes. Keep the head checking.

Driver side sunvisor rattles when it is down.

Overall it is a great car for family. But Mazda Australia is not very prompt to fix problems they created at the first place just like the disel problems.

melbourne

• 2 helpful votes
Private message

Verified Purchase Generation: TC (2016-2018) Badge: Grand Touring Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Nov 2017

Amazing car!amazing drive

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 27, 2018

The feel and drive is smooth. Legroom is very good, handling also amazing.
Noise is very less. Interiors look very classy
This car is the best SUV in the same price range

Downside: petrol thirsty , preferred a analog speedometer and the back camera line guidance is not very good

Brisbane

Private message

Verified Purchase Generation: TC (2016-2018) Badge: Grand Touring Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Dec 2017

Great car for the money

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 14, 2018

We've had this car now for 2 months after replacing our Toyota Kluger Grande which we had for several years as our primary family mover. We bought the GT model in AWD which adds a few quality of life features and aesthetic upgrades over the lower grades. I never really bought into the safety features of cars until I had a family and i can tell you, this thing has avoided a couple of potential dust ups already; The autonomous emergency braking (which is available on all the CX9 models) pulled us up when we were cut off by a driver on their phone and one turning out from a driveway and not looking where they were going. Not until you experience this feature for real, do you appreciate how safe this car is designed to be. I joke with my wife that its almost impossible to crash this thing.

The car looks great, drives smooth and is very quiet in the cabin - much quieter than any other SUV we tested in this price range. Middle row can accommodate adults easily, the 3rd row is kids only for long trips or adults for short stints. Boot space is still functional with the 3rd row up, a few shopping and school bags fit in their with ease.

No dramas with the engine and it is quite punchy on the highway and around town when needed.

The only drawback to this car is that it is big, the trade off for being so spacious inside - parking has taken some time to get used to but it has an excellent rear parking camera and the GT comes with front and rear parking sensors. As the car has high window sills, and thick pillars it also has some bigger blind spots but this is negated partly by blind spot alert - you get used to it.

If you are reading this review you are probably tossing up between the CX9 and the other usual suspects - Kluger, Sorrento, Pathfinder etc. We looked at them all but most are just face lifts or slight evolutions from previous models. The CX9 feels like a much more expensive car then its competition and packs alot of features into a car you can get into for a reasonable amount. Plus, its the best looking out of the above mentioned options.

Melbourne

Private message

MY2017 model Mazda CX-9 Touring - Fantastic family car, very impressive and comfortable!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 13, 2018

Hubby and I purchased this car in December 2017 after our family had oit grown our X-Trail. Purchasing the ne model CX9 Grand Touring was a bit of a, “No Brainer” for us. We have purchased several Mazda’s over the years and have a Mazda 3 (2011) as our family runabout. The only reason we purchased the X-Trail was because we wanted a medium size car, at the time, with 7 seats.
Fast forward 4 years and our family needed a larger vehicle. The car drives like a dream and has plenty of guts with the new 2.5L turbo engine, both around town and on the Highway. The Grand Touring model comes with the leather option which, is very convenient with small kids. Technology wise, it is very user friendly and has everything you would expect from a vehicle of this caliber. We have had the car for just over two months now and I am yet to find a fault with the car or an addition we would have liked. I do a lot of running around with the kids and I have to say that I have been very impressed with the fuel economy on such a big car.
The kids are loving the aircon in the back seats and riding a bit higher on the road. Another feature they love is the auxiliary plug in the middle of the passenger seats, to ensure the IPAD stays charged during long trips. Hubby and I are pretty happy about that too!
If you get a chance to drive the new CX9 Grand Touring, you will see why it has won so many awards and deservedly so.
We purchased our vehicle through Penfolds Mazda in Burwood and as long as we continue servicing with them, we will maintain a 5 year warranty which, we were very pleased with. Overall, we are extremely happy with the CX9 and are loving the extra space to drive around the kids with all their gear.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Generation: TC (2016-2018) Badge: Grand Touring Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Nov 2016

Awesome car

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 08, 2018

Been driving for 12 months now. I love the driving experience. Running costs are quite low and it is very reliable.

It is full of great features like cruise control, auto city braking, reverse assist, electronic brakes, sat nav, keyless entry.

I would recommend it to families with kids.

Private message

Generation: TC (2016-2018) Badge: Luxury Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Mar 2017

Super car

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 05, 2018

Worth the price you paid for. I got the version with AWD, Sun roof, Leather Seat, and Bose audio system.
It feels very high tech, design is almost perfect.
Turbo engine also very powerful, never had the sluggish feeling like CX-5 does.
Only thing is the third passenger row is not very spacious (like Kia Carnival), but if you don't constantly have passengers on the third row, it should be a perfect car for you.

Perth WA

• 5 comments
  • 1 question
  • 29 answers
  • 17 helpful votes
Private message

Generation: TC (2016-2018) Badge: Grand Touring Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Jan 2018

It’s a Dream car, we have rejected Audi Q7 for it.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 05, 2018

Absolutely a delight to drive.
Not to mention enough torque and ability to pull a 2plus tonne vehicle.
We have tried allot of vehicles but nothing came close to the cx9.
As much as I hate the badge on them, it’s a dream to drive.
I hate diesels, their pick ups their sound, their ability to cause lung cancer

1 of 3 pages

Read 58 related reviews

TC (2016-Present)

Hi, We test drove CX-9 GT a few weeks ago and while the car seems really nice we had a couple of concerns. We drove the one with black leather seats and it was quite dark and stuffy even on this sunny day which I guess it is due to CX-9's tiny sunroof and lack of third-row air vents. Any owner wants to share their experiences? Does the Ivory leather seats make it any brighter inside? Thanks in advance, Neil

Praxad asked on Jul 25, 2017

Answer this

I had a Honda CRV with beige leather seats so opted black leather seats on my new CX9. I'm really happy with it, as it blends well and doesn't show off the dirt. With the third row, I don't use them often, but you are right, the absence of air vents is a little disadvantage.Sunroof is tiny compared to kia sorento's large Moonroof , but i'm still happy with it.

We have the black interior and don't find it dark and stuffy at all. In fact having children I much prefer the black.

try the cx9 signature 2017,auburn leather seats ...awesome!!!!

TC (2016-Present)

Hi All. We are considering CX-9 sport FWD and was wondering about real world fuel consumption especially in city driving conditions. Given that past Mazda models have a history of poor fuel efficiency it would be really helpful to know what owners experience in real world. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

Manny asked on May 05, 2017

Answer this

Hi Manny. I drive out to Amberley from Brisbane almost daily. The average consumption as indicated on the dash is about 9l/100km. Which is not too bad for an SUV of this size. But if you will be doing mostly town driving, I'd say that it may go to 11L/100km. But comparing this 2.5L Turbo petrol engine to the competition (Kluger, Sorento all have 3.3/3.5 V6 engines, Santa Fe has 2.2l petrol version but nowhere near the performance of the CX-9), the consumption you get from the CX-9 is really good. The start-stop feature for the engine also helps with consumption, don't ever switch this off if you want to save on some fuel. I personally think that it is good for a company to have a history, good or bad. They learn from it and boy, did Mazda ever learn. Hope this helps.

Hi Manny, We purchased the new CX9 back in Jan2017. A little bit disappointed with the fuel consumption. We get on average around 13.5/14.5L every 100km which mostly includes driving in Sydney traffic. The reading improves once on the motorway (get around 9-11L every 100km) so overall not happy with fuel consumption. I have asked two other owners of the new CX9, thinking there was something wrong with my car but they have said the same thing (ie around the 13.5L every 100km). Not sure how Mazda can get away with claiming their fuel consumption figures. Anyway, other than that the car goes great, more that enough power and very easy to drive for such a big car.
Hope this helps.

TC (2016-Present)

Hi there. We have purchased the cx-9 touring FWD and I was wondering how everyone felt about it not having front sensors? I'm just worried as the bonnet is so long! Any tips would be appreciated on how to navigate the front without damaging the front, I almost had a heart attack driving it in an underground car park. Love it but it's huge!

amylee asked on Mar 27, 2017

Answer this

I think it is something you get used to over time. Previously I had a Mazda 3 so it is definitely a big difference to park and navigate around car parks, but I'm aware of how much bigger the car is and find an appropriate spot for it.

Your question will be specific to the model that you've selected.

Product Details