Filter By:

Poorcare, but they look great

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 20, 2017

I was with BUPA overseas after many years wth HCF in Sydney. I thought the look and feel of Peoplecare was attractive. Very approachable, good people with good intentions. That's all marketing. Fantastic marketing. When it comes to the nitty gritty of what you get - it's a complete rip off. Beware the waiting periods. Where are they disclosed? Up front like the friendly casual look and feel? Nope. And I've never ever experienced waiting periods like these guys - astonishing. I just wanted to claim cover for getting some glasses and a regular check up at the dentist. Nope.

Comments
Peoplecare Health Insurance Official

Hi there, we’re really sorry you feel this way – that’s definitely not what we’re about. We communicate our waiting periods in our brochures, website and over the phone and will always be up front ... read more »

hornsby

• 15 comments
  • 2 questions
  • 29 helpful votes

Insurance claim made

Rude, condescending, deceiving, have to follow up with claims, or else they don't pay.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 12, 2017

When I first signed up with Peoplecare 'Hospital and Extras' it cost me more than $2000/year, they were more than willing to answer my questions and return calls with my 'LHC' inquiries.
There were times for them to pay a claim, simply wasn't as straight forward as other insurers, which can be time consuming to have to prove to them payments were not received, and this back and forth stuff can get too much, they are not apologetic when they make mistakes, and if anything they are defensive!
A month ago I decided to change over from 'Hospital and Extras' to just the 'Extras' a big step down and I was going to save heaps, only costing me less than $600/year. One particular staff member became incredibly rude, and blurted out random negative feedback, which made me very uncomfortable. Then when I asked to speak with a manager, she was worse and came across quite aggressive in her mannerisms and extremely condescending. She made many excuses to not help with a serious inquiry, and would repeat, 'now moving forward', over and over.
Customer support records are not up to date, and communication skills are non existent in my opinion.
PEOPLECARE, I'm happy to find another insurer, an insurer who is more efficient, who pay claims without the customer having to follow up 10 calls later. Most of my reviews are about the importance of customer support, not being respectful of your customers is enough reason for me to drop you and find a safer reliable Health Insurer.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Peoplecare Health Insurance Official

Hi Ja, this is definitely not how we like to look after our customers and I'd like to look into this for you urgently. Could you please private message us your name on here or send us an email to h... read more »

Hi Brooke, very disappointed after receiving an email from Peoplecare today, that I owe more money than the quoted original monthly cover. They changed it 3 times, first they said $40 per month, th... read more »

Peoplecare Health Insurance Official

Hi Ja, I've sent you a private message asking for some more details as I would really like to look into this issue urgently. Please reply to the private message and I'll look into this straight away for you. Take care - Brooke @ Peoplecare

Pretty Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 30, 2017

I bought extra health cover from them before, they were pretty good with customer service and claim. Was happy with them. I didn't feel I needed the extra cover, so I cancelled it, and they helped me with the cancellation straightaway. If I were to get extra health cover, I think I'd choose them again.

Comments
Peoplecare Health Insurance Official

Thanks for the great review, Hans! It’s nice to hear that your experience with us was so easy. If you ever want to join back up, please visit peoplecare.com.au or give us a buzz on 1800 808 700. Take care – Brooke @ Peoplecare

wollongong

• 3 comments
  • 5 helpful votes

Insurance claim made

Good while it lasted - leaving today.

3 out of 5, reviewed on May 23, 2017

I've been with Peoplecare for about 5-6 years on their top hospital and extras. Paid many thousands over the years and claimed very little, but I felt secure knowing that if I did need a major claim I would be fine.

From the few claims I have made the process has mostly been painless and it is great to call and get a local person.

However, as with other health funds prices have gone up a lot since a couple of years ago, the latest increase quite steep. On top of that I have had my employment hours cut basically in half. I now rely largely on Government benefit to pay rent, food, etc... really hard currently, until my work picks up again in a few months. I called Peoplecare about a temporary suspension, BUT, I don't qualify unless I'm totally unemployed. Despite experiencing financial hardship under the pure definition I do not meet their definition/criteria. So I had to decide whether or not to forego my 2 shifts a week at work and become totally reliant on Centrelink in order to meet Peoplecare's criteria and therefore be granted a suspension, keeping all my served waiting periods etc... or be forced to totally cancel my membership and then in a few months join again (maybe not Peoplecare) and reserve all the waiting periods again?

I have decided to cancel because I think it would be foolish and unfair to taxpayers for me to deliberately forego work and rely on Centrelink.

Anyway, obviously Peoplecare have their reasons for such criteria, I suspect it might be to deter anyone trying to exploit them in some way, although I can't think how right now. Nonetheless, I now feel I have wasted thousands of dollars over many years and I certainly don't feel like Peoplecare actually do care.

Goodbye private health insurance... and having worked in Private Health Care myself I have personally witnessed so many things wrong with the whole private system that I often think a person is better off in the public system for most medical issues.

Cheers!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Peoplecare Health Insurance Official

Hi Pookie, Thanks for choosing to be with Peoplecare for the last 5-6 years and it’s great to hear you have been happy with our service and claims. I’m really sorry to hear that you’re having a h... read more »

• 12 comments
  • 51 helpful votes

I can't complain...

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 07, 2017

We have been with them since 2012. During this time, we had 2 child births plus couple of other claims. All our claims were promptly settled. Compared to what we paid in 2012, we now pay $1000 more. I think it is the case with all health funds out there. I still think they are quite reasonable compared to the service we received.

Comments
Peoplecare Health Insurance Official

Thanks so much for the review, Sanjeeva! I’ll be sure to pass on your lovely feedback to the team and I hope we can continue to make you happy for many years to come. Take care, Brooke @ Peoplecare

• 5 helpful votes

Don't feel valued!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 03, 2017

Just had our premium increase by 6%! Been with Peoplecare for 5 years and obviously they feel we don't qualify for the average increase. We even have the top cover. Feeling a bit taken for granted by them to be honest.

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Peoplecare Health Insurance Official

Hi Ian, as a member owned, not-for-profit fund, Peoplecare puts the best interests of our members at the heart of everything we do. You’ve noticed your premium increase is slightly more than the av... read more »

kariong

• 5 comments
  • 6 helpful votes

getting expensive....

2 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 02, 2017

Just joined this fund a month ago to save some private fund cost and received a letter stating that my premiums will increase by 8.2% for the new year...this is $400 extra. The company is doing well with total equity up by 10.5% while cash flow is up 10.2% for the 2016 FY and so I am struggling to see the sense in the huge premium increase.

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Peoplecare Health Insurance Official

Hi Carel, Thanks for the comment and we agree that rising healthcare costs and health insurance premiums are an issue for all health funds in Australia. In short, we need to keep up with healthca... read more »

Hi Rosita, Thanks for the reply. I understand the increase in benefit payouts...but this will be partly due to the increase in new members making claims. Now, these new members are paying premiums... read more »

Peoplecare Health Insurance Official

Hi Carel, Thanks for your observations. Our average premium increase at 5.09% this year was very close to the health fund industry average and has been lower than the industry average over the ... read more »

Sydney

• 1 comment
  • 4 helpful votes

Admin hell

1 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 21, 2017

I had a claim repeatedly rejected. It was a simple case, I had symptoms caused by taking antibiotics, backed up by declarations from both my GP and specialist. I had no symptoms prior to taking the antibiotics.

Peoplecare categorised this as a pre-existing condition. I provided a large quantity of medical information, which wasn't deemed sufficient to prove I didn't already have the condition. I don't know what other information I could have given. The review process is opaque and the 'medical' expert reviewing the information does not appear to be objective, or impartial.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Peoplecare Health Insurance Official

Hi MJay, I’m sorry to hear you’re not happy about our pre-existing condition process, which is one all health funds have in place as part of the 12 month waiting period for hospital cover for ne... read more »

Thanks Anita. The issue here is administration. My case was flagged after my specialist entered a Peoplecare form incorrectly. Reviewing the form, the specialist had to enter 3 dates AND prov... read more »

Peoplecare Health Insurance Official

Hi again MJay, Firstly, I’m really sorry to hear you’re still unwell and hope things are looking up for you soon. Thanks for the feedback about our form, which we’ll take into consideration t... read more »

Intravenous Vitamin C (IVC) Drip Infusions

3 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 11, 2017

Hi, Vitamin C (IVC)
Does anyone know of a Private Health Insurance fund that covers Intravenous Vitamin C (IVC) Drip Infusions ? Wonderful aid for prevention of colds and flu. I have also found it a marvelous as a energy booster when administered (by Medical Dr.) in high doses of Vitamin C.

Shame,Shame on Govt for NOT providing a Medicare Item No. and Rebate.

Public Hospitals should readily make it available to the public.

Comments
Peoplecare Health Insurance Official

Thanks for the question, Juicy! This can be a tricky one! Many infusions aren’t claimable from health funds, but Peoplecare pays a benefit on infusions if they contain a prescription medicine and t... read more »

SA

• 3 answers
  • 17 helpful votes

Fantastic value

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 09, 2017

I joined up with Peoplecare shortly before needing 4 wisdom teeth out, I sent through a photo of my invoice for the procedure just before I went in the chair and by the time I was brought back out of general anaesthesia they had processed my claim, totalling $1,500, no questions asked. Unfortunately I had to cancel my cover shortly after due to finances which I feel quite guilty about considering how great they were. Their prices vs benefits were the most competitive I could find and the promptness of refunds was excellent.

Comments
Peoplecare Health Insurance Official

Awww, thanks Lia! Always glad when we can help out. Take care - Brooke @ Peoplecare

• 7 comments
  • 20 answers
  • 44 helpful votes

This is the best for us

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 12, 2016

Our family have been insured by them for over 6 years, the cover we have no longer is available to new costumers but even the new ones they have are still good value. The one thing that sold us our policy was it had the ambulance cover Australia wide included in the extras.
We have no means to pay for a full hospital cover so we only have extras. Over the years we had to use the ambulance a couple of times, you get the bill, email it or send it to them, they do the rest. If you have a question, they are very knowledgeable and you don't wait 10 min to talk to someone, they don't have answering machine system either. You talk to people.
The other point is that it is a member own health funds, so they cover their cost nothing more, they don't make profit on your back. Our policy has increased over the years but not as fast as the other ones. It is clear what your entitlement are and you can always check with them before hand. The benefits are in the high range for our policy, people are always surprise to see how much we get back.
Every year I check if my policy is still good to my expectations, and every year I still am better off sticking with them.
So you should consider changing over, or just get a quote from them, and compare what you will get back for the thing you will need the most...

Comments
Peoplecare Health Insurance Official

Awwww jpcntti, you’re making us blush! Thanks so much for your kind words, we love hearing that we’ve been able to help when you’ve needed it most – it gives us all the warm & fuzzies. Fingers cros... read more »

I only write reviews when I think it is necessary, deserved or earned. I realised that we have been with Peoplecare for so long and I never made a review on the services. I have talk to people abou... read more »

Excellent product and service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 18, 2016

Great value for my policy. Very impressed with my cover and the price compated to others in the market. Excellent customer service - always friendly and ready to help! Love that they are not-for-profit :)

Comments
Peoplecare Health Insurance Official

Thanks so much Lauren, this is what we love to hear! We’re all about keeping our members happy. I’ll be sure to pass on your lovely feedback to the team. Take care! – Brooke @ Peoplecare

• 1 review
  • 2 helpful votes

Peoplecare have been great

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 30, 2016

We changed to Peoplecare because they were cheaper than our previous health provider and they have exceeded all our expectations. They covered many items not covered by other insurance providers and have been lovely to deal with. Each time we ring we talk to a real person without having to push a lot of buttons and my husband just received a call after recent surgery offering him a heap of services that are free under this cover. Can't recommend them highly enough.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Peoplecare Health Insurance Official

Aww you're making us blush, Sandy! Thanks so much for the kind words, I'll be sure to pass them on to the lovely Peoplecarers you've spoken to so they know what a positive impact they've made. Take care! - Lauren @ Peoplecare

• 5 answers
  • 14 helpful votes
Private message

Good but get differing answers with benefit amounts

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 26, 2016

I recently rang and was told that i would 80% of cost up to $1500 for a sleep apnea machine, only to be told 2 days later no it was only $800 so very disappointed

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Peoplecare Health Insurance Official

Hi Paul63, we're all about giving our members the correct information so would love to look into this further. Would you mind sending us a private message with your details so we can jump on it. Thanks, Rosita @ Peoplecare

Not clear on othopaedic

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 16, 2016

We have been with them for 3 years and had no problems. However recently my son needed a new pair of insole ($695) thought I would have a heart attack and would have to claim for it. Anyway 2 years previously I got a rebate of $500 per family for the old insole which was great. However this time no rebate. So I rang them and they told me that it would restart at the end of the financial year. Went back to get the insole yesterday and paid but again no rebate. This time someone told me that the rebate would be available in September which was when two years previously I paid for the first pair of insole. What am supposed to do now. $695 is quite a lot of money and will put a hole on the budget until September. This is a pity because I have always find Peoplecare service very good as well as prompt and agreeable customer service. Would hate to have to change. Anyway enough ranting now.

Comments
Peoplecare Health Insurance Official

Hi Patricia, I spoke with our Peoplecarers today and they tell me that this misunderstanding has been cleared up. Your benefit definitely reset on 1 July and your claim will be paid as soon as it's... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Peoplecare really are good

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 13, 2016

I hate all forms of insurance as the costs are so high. But I've been a member with Peoplecare for 20+ years and always found their service is excellent and premuims extremely competitive, for the cover provided. They are 100% for their members, and not for profit or shareholders. Health insurance makes me sick but Ive compared and found peoplecare are the best of a bad bunch!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Peoplecare Health Insurance Official

Hi ds69,
Thanks so much for the review, and for sticking with us for 20+ years! Here’s to many more :) Take care - Rosita@Peoplecare

• 2 helpful votes

Patronising and unclear

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 19, 2016

There are two reasons for this review:
1) My doctor asked me to check with my health fund if a particular specialist was covered as it would save wait times. I didn't think it was but figured it didn't hurt to ask. When I did the man I spoke to was very patronising, basically talked down to me like I was stupid to ask.
You know, not all of us have grown up with private health cover and got it later in life. Sorry I thought that as a customer I could ask and learn something.
2) I wish they had clear information on what they need for a claim. I only seem to find out as the claim is rejected. And then their requirements change. I put in a claim for my gym membership 3 years ago. I submitted the form and invoice. Then they tell me I need a note from the doctor, so I get it and the claim is paid. 2 years ago I know the drill and the claim is paid again. Last year my claim is rejected because they say the wording in the doctors note isn't right. This year they tell me I need to also fill in a form and when I do it's rejected again. I made the claim before for the same reason. What's changed? And if it has changed fine have your the steps of who can claim and for what and how clear somewhere for me to refer to to save me wasting my time.

I'm not trying to get any more than what my premiums entitle me to.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Peoplecare Health Insurance Official

Hi Jackie I’m so sorry that this has been your experience with us – we’re all about customer service and hate to think that you felt that way after a call. I’d really like to look into this furthe... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 question
  • 1 answer

Unbelievably Easy

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 07, 2016

I never write reviews. But my goodness...download the PeopleCare app onto your phone (takes a second), click submit claim, attach a photo of the receipt, click agree to T&C's, click submit. I can't get over how simple it is!!!
Well done People Care! Just submitted claims this week. Haven't received funds yet.But the process is incredible.

Comments
Peoplecare Health Insurance Official

Wow, thanks for such a stellar review, Sir! We're stoked to hear how much you love our easy-peasy app & I hope we keep impressing you well into the future :) Take care! - Lauren @ Peoplecare

Sydney

Insurance claim made

Won't be changing anytime soon

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 29, 2016

Really love Peoplecare I recommend them to all my friends and family. Love the app which makes claiming even easier. I have had gold extras cover for 5 years and will be adding hospital cover shortly. One of my daughters needed speech therapy and the receptionist was shocked at how much I get back saying it's the most she has seen from any health fund before. My husband was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea and we were rebated $800 towards his CPAP machine which helped us a lot since the machine was over $2000. I have recently started using the dental clinic even though its an hour drive from me with 3 daughters it can be costly but we get free check up and scale and clean plus low out of pocket costs. Was quoted over $800 at another dental clinic after rebates for filings and fissure seals but at the Peoplecare dental clinic will be charged less than $300. Look no further they are a great health fund.

Comments
Peoplecare Health Insurance Official

What a lovely review, Di_1984! We’re stoked to read about what a happy member you are and that you’ve had great experiences at Peoplecare Eyes & Teeth. Here’s cheers to many more happy years togeth... read more »

• 1 review
  • 2 comments
  • 3 helpful votes
Private message

The worst and rude customer service, I feel unwelcome

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 08, 2016

I joined 10 days ago - no communication or contact. But took the money out in 2 days - still no sign of the policy. When I rand to find out, they were very rude. I moved to another one - now trying to contact for refund but again they are too busy. Unbelievable. Emailed 6 times and tried to call several times. Not cusomer focused - just money minded.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Peoplecare Health Insurance Official

Hi Not Customer Focused. Oops, looks like your original review and our response has disappeared. Again, we were really shocked to read about your experience as we always try to give our customers a... read more »

Again no confiramation or communication to inform the cancellation. No refund yet. I,m planning to write my concerns to PHCU

Peoplecare Health Insurance Official

Hi Not Customer Focused, It can take anywhere from 5-7 business days to receive confirmation from a bank that a payment was not rejected so we're hoping to hear from your bank tomorrow and to then ... read more »

1 of 3 pages