Melbourne

• 4 questions
  • 11 answers
  • 3 helpful votes
Private message

As far as I can tell, not a real field trial-wish I'd read reviews before signing up

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 12, 2017

We got sucked into getting one of these batteries installed for a so called "field trial". I always wondered how they targeted us, but thanks to another reviewer (lyonwiss) I now understand how they got our address.
I started to get suspicious when, after filling out the form, we were contacted almost immediately to be part of the trial. And they wanted a large deposit (20%) up-front to "process the order". They then organised for the installers to come out and wanted payment in full before that happened. We were also told we would be given information about the trial, but the installers had no idea. I made part payment after the installers left and informed the office, via email that's what I had done. They then emailed back to encourage me to make the total payment by another method.

Apparently you are supposed to download an app and register so you can get the details and readouts from the unit. Bit hard to do that though when Solar Service Group won't send you the relevant info, despite repeated requests
I also asked a number of, what I thought were, relevant questions about the so called field trial - like how many people have signed up, how many are needed for the trial to be relevant and worthwhile, what the actual aim of the trial is and are our personal details kept private or sold on to a third party?

None of these have been answered, I was just directed to the website, which is just PR and answers none of these relevant questions

Now, I have no technical expertise when it comes to these types of units ...but as far as I can tell, this "field trial" appears to have been a way to get people hooked on what they thought was a half price deal...so my advice would be do your homework first.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Solar Service Group Official

Hi Lilly Thanks for your feedback, we appreciate that you took the time to write it. I am sorry to hear that you feel our field trial is not legitimate. I can confirm for you that this is not t... read more »

Cant fault battery instulation yet waiting on my next full bill

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 11, 2017

When we had fiert contact with sola service every question we asked was answered . Instulation was carried out on date and time promised am very satisfied with service

Promises Promises

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 08, 2017

I enlisted the services of Solar Sevice Group earlier this year, initially for an assessment of my existing 16 panel system. Upon reading their report and also the suggestion to install Enphase batteries in order to optimise my solar system, I committed to their proposal.
Needless to say, full payment was required by the technician on the day to work was undertaken. The installer was efficient to the best of my knowledge and when he realised that he was missing a component that was to be supplied, he assured me that he would contact Head Office and have the problem resolved promptly.
That was five months ago and still no resolution despite multiple promises from "customer service". All I require is what I have paid for, no more no less.
Do not trust this company and it is off to Fair Trading for me.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Solar Service Group Official

Hi Chris I am sorry to hear you've had issues with your installation. Can you please supply me with your order number so I can investigate the situation and have someone call you to have your in... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Enphase

4 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 30, 2017

We had an Enphase Battery installed.
From first contact to installation was only a couple of weeks.
There was a little communication problem to start with, but after this was sorted out, all our problems and concerns were solved and we now have a unit that is working well.

• 1 comment
  • 4 helpful votes
Private message

Bad

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 29, 2017

Don't fall for subsidized field trial.

Unsolicited letters sent to houses with solar panels (seen via satellite) inform you that you are the lucky few selected for a half-price field trial. You are to register your interest in finding out more details by giving your contact details on a website which looks genuine enough. But the website has little genuine information on prices, products, history and so on.

Next thing a sale person rings you up to tell you (what you already know) that the electricity grid is ripping you off, buying your solar electricity for peanuts during the day and then charging you several times what they pay you when you use their electricity at night, after sun goes down. Wow, batteries are the answer.

Then they offer you a system at "half price" in exchange for collecting and monitoring your usage for three years, including premium servicing. Sounds a good deal? Of course they tell you over the phone some details about Enphase battery in the deal, the monitoring electronics, the weather-proof casing etc. Even though I'm a trained physicist, I could not work out the details of how it works over the phone and assumed the deal may be just reasonable, worth seeing some details..

You have to put down about 20 percent deposit to be guaranteed a spot in the trial, which is in hot demand - hurry! They will send you all technical details and the contract once you are in the trial. Well the fantastic deal costs about $4,200 consisting of one 1.2Kwh (kilo watt hour) battery and monitoring electronics. Apart from the "premium servicing", the deal is no deal at all, the Enphase 1.2 kwh battery costs about $2,000 and it is totally inadequate. After installation, you would have to buy several more of those batteries at substantial cost (presumably from them).

The 1.2kwh lithium-ion battery has about 260 watt power enough to power two 100 watt and one 60 watt light bulb - cannot power anything serious, like a 2 kilo watt oven. There is enough stored electricity to power a 100 watt light bulb for 12 hours - pitiful amount of energy. My solar panels collect energy at an average of around 3.5kw and collects about 25kwh on a sunny winter's day. This battery stores less than 5 percent of that! How is that going to save me money?

At 260 watts of power, it takes about 5 hours of sunshine to fully charge the 1.2kwh battery. This means you can charge and discharge the battery only once a day. Assuming you discharge your battery at peak period, when electricity is most expensive (at night) and in Sydney, it is currently 27 cents per kwh, then you would save 32.4 cents per day! You would be saving at most $10 per month or $120 per year with perfect sunshine everyday!

The Enphase battery has a 10-year warranty giving you at most a saving $1,200 before it dies. Spending $4,200 for a benefit of $1,200 saving, you've got to be a moron? Solar Service Group (SSG) is looking for morons. Initially I withdrew this review after SSG gave my deposit money back, on the basis that it is impossible to agree to a contract without seeing all the details. My conscience has got the better of me - I need to help others.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Solar Service Group Official

Hi Lyonwiss The Solar Service Group Field Trial is a legitimate offer made by the Solar Services Group. The purpose of this exercise is to collect energy data from the participants to demonstrat... read more »

I'm technically qualified. It makes no sense to claim two cycles per day. Do the maths. At near peak power (<260w), it takes about five hours to charge the 1.2 kwh battery (assuming full capacit... read more »

Solar Service Group Official

Please see the response from Enphase in regard to your statement. "Thank you for your feedback. The Enphase Home Energy Solution is for homeowners who want to optimise their energy and maximise... read more »

See if our power bill is cheaper.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 28, 2017

We had an Enphase Envoy-S Metered + DRM system installed after a flyer was placed in our letterbox. Rang them up to see what it was all about, Asked a lot of questions to see what was involved with it, the person on the other end explained everything in terms that was easy to understand. About 2 weeks later they rang & gave us an installation date,the installer was on time,polite & answered more questions I put to him. 3 hours to install, came back next day to check unit out to see if running O.K.We know that a small amount of power is going back to us.We have no problems with it or any dropouts,Will wait & see what our power bill is in November.
Customer service have contacted us a couple of times to see how things are going.

A good job well done.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 25, 2017

I had the system serviced and brought up to current Australianstandards. The service took 3 to 4 hours and there did not appear to be any problems. Power has been reliable since and there have been no dropouts. Customer service and support has been good.

Love my solar

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 19, 2017

Ever since Solar service Group did total service on my solar i have had no trouble and been enjying the discount electrical bills

Sevice

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 18, 2017

Service was prompt and on time, my solar service inverter had to be replaced I found the office staff along with the installers to be most helpful, 1 had return phone calls when promised

Great customer service and follow through.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 18, 2017

My solar panels inverter had to be replaced. Solar Service Group were professional and thorough and did everything they promised to do. No matter how many questions I asked ( and I asked a lot), they were patient and went through all the details and options with me.

Great product would recommend

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 17, 2017

The sales person was though and helpfull.on installation was on time and explained the operation of the ststem i would recommend your company and product to my freinds

So glad we did this

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 17, 2017

We have had solar and wr decided to buy the battery we haven't had any problems we are 100% happy with the product

Great energy solution

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 16, 2017

I have had a single solar battery storage supplied and installed .the technicians were extremely polite and courteous they answered all and any questions I put to them relating to the system.The system is working well and have had no issues ,we waited for about three weeks for installation and was well worth it now being able to see exactly how much power is being stored generated and consumed.
The customer service is great. I would have no hesitation in recommending this product and company to anyone

Should of been made aware of the product earlier

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 15, 2017

We had a battery storage unit installed. there have been no dropouts. We were very satisfied with the service provided. The tradesmen who installed it were very friendly and helpful. we are that happy with the system that we will probably consider installing another battery unit in the future.

Takes the edge of your power bills

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 14, 2017

We had twin Enphase batteries installed. The installing contractors were efficient, on time and a credit to the Solar Service Group. Hardware was installed within 3 hours exactly where required. Solar Service Group were excellent to deal with throughout this process, they communicated what was required, accounts were activated without being prompted within 24 hours of the installation with a satisfaction query follow up. Can't fault them at all & would happily refer to again for future battery needs.

The Enphase system itself works well. It won't take you off the grid, but then again, it's not designed to let you run everything at night. Rather the batteries charge up during the day from your solar array (with the excess still going into the grid for your feed-in tariff credits) and then, when you need the batteries, it'll provide power at a certain rate. If you need more than the batteries can provide at once (like when the stove is on for example), it'll draw from the grid to make up the difference. We've found that once we're done using the stove for the night, the batteries easily provide enough power for TV, computers, lights etc without the need to draw from the grid before we turn in for the night so it would do the same during a blackout if one occurred. The Enphase monitoring app shows you real time what power your solar panels are generating, what power the batteries have stored, what power's going into the grid and what power you're drawing from the batteries and from the grid respectively.

A great mob to deal with

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 14, 2017

Had 16 solar panels installed by the Solar Service Group 5 years ago. The system has run like clockwork during that period. The system has been routinely service by Solar Service Group and we have absolutely no complaints The booking process is friendly, easy and efficient. The technicians are also friendly, efficient and technically knowledgeable about there job and product - also careful about damage on a very old tiled roof. Cannot recommend them and their service highly enough

Campsie

• 1 question
  • 1 answer

Good service

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 14, 2017

Battery stand-by storage. No dropouts. Satisfied with service. Friendly and informative installing tradesman who demonstrated proficiencey in his work. Smooth installation.

Melbourne,

Private message

The easyest way to ease power bill shock.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 12, 2017

We had a battery,(1.2 kw) enphase, installed to our existing solar array. The hole process was a simple one phone call, no fuss and three weeks later, the job was done, and on time. The system has worked faultlessly since, to that end, we are going to have a second battery installed next week. THE SOLAR SERVICES GROUP, are a very easy and great company to deal with, and would recommend them to anybody, contemplating upgrading there system.

Verified Customer

Batteries installed

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 12, 2017

Very pleased with the batteries installed and now waiting for a positive savings result. Very happy with the service and installation team.

Enphase battery system

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 11, 2017

Great sales and services from the team at Solar Service Group. Very happy with the explanation about the Enphase battery system and its operation. All installed and performing perfectly.

1 of 3 pages

Hi My name is James I received a letter from your firm suggesting Vic Solar battery subsidised field trial I have tried to put an enter code you gave on your website, but i cannot open it Please contact me on [email protected] Ia m interested in participating the program. I am thinking about putting a battery at my home in Mount Elisa. Wait for your reply. Thank you James

james asked on Aug 22, 2017

Hi James

Thanks for your enquiry. I have sent your email address on to our sales team. Someone will be in contact with you shortly. Alternatively, you can call us on 1300 40 41 42 anytime.

I received two letters from your company today claiming to offer subsidised solar battery storage. Saying almost half the total cost - but no examples given. Sorry, but I'm wary after claims from companies for different things, giving similar "discounts". Why can't you give cost examples openly? I won't be calling, or registering interest, without at least some idea.

simply asked on Aug 02, 2017

Hi there

Thank you for raising your concerns.
Please see the link below to our website with further information about the letter you received.

The main reason we don't disclose our prices for this is because only a select number of homes have received this letters, and not everybody is eligible to participate. Because we are heavily subsidising our standard list price for participants in the program (in turn for participants providing feedback and information on their energy consumption), hence we cannot disclose the price to the general public.

Please feel free to call us on 1300 40 41 42 and one of our Solar Specialists will be able to provide you with more information and a no obligations quote if your are eligible.

Kind regards
Megan
Solar Service Group

Rang them today to get an idea of which batteries and size they were offering - both Enphase (come in 1.2V packs so can be expanded aas required) and LG Chem 6.5V. I
I'have a 5kW PV panel system and over the last 2 years since installation I have been monitoring solar PV output, consumption and export to the grid so and how much could potentially store. While if I had a battery system, in the sunnier months possibly not need to draw from the grid, but not so in winter. Remember that a battery warranty is only for 10 year and the storage capacity diminishes to around 65% over that period. However my calculation suggests that based on current power costs and FIT it would take nearly 20 years to cover the cost of the battery. The 6.5 V LG Chem batttery was being offered at $11.75 installed which was even greater than that for a Tesla Powerwall 2 (13.8V) for which another company quoted $11.5K installed.Therefore I might have been interested SSG offer if the cost was around $6.5K

I have 12 panels and was wondering what the cost wld be to install a battery Thks Deborah Email address us: [email protected]

deb1409 asked on Jul 11, 2017

Hi Deb,

Thanks for your enquiry.
Each household is different, as it depends on how much energy your panels are producing and what your household energy consumption is. If you could please call us on
1300 40 41 42 with your latest electricity bill, one of our solar specialist will be able to run a bill analysis and inform you on the best battery system for you.

Kind regards