AAMI Car Insurance

AAMI Car Insurance

2.0 from 1,072 reviews

Don’t Insure with Aami

I have a comprehensive car insurance policy with Aami. I was involved in an accident in April, 2019. It took Aami four days to transfer my car to the smash repairer. Then it took the assessor one and a half weeks to assess the car. This is because they tried to get cheaper quote from the repairer.
The repairer still has my car which I gave in on 15th April and has not started repairs. They told me that they will not start repairs until another two to three weeks. This means it will be at least TWO MONTHS after they start repairing my car. The repairer told me this is normal for cars to be in their garage for so long.

I will never ever advise anyone to insure with Aami. They deserve zero stars. Do yourselves a favour and stay away from Aami. No you are not going to be lucky with Aami.

Claim ApprovedYes

worst car insurance company ever! ( STAY AWAY )

long story short i had 3rd party policy with them for my mitsubishi lancer ( my work car ) i was hit by a coles truck who i have a witness who saw the whole scenario i got his details and the other driver i was involved in the accident with i provided aamii with all details of the witness and driver its been 3 months now my car is still damaged aami are not doing the right thing by me to contact the other driver i had the accident with and they have left me in the dark with a damaged car for any new clients who think of joining a policy with aami dont dare all they care about is taking your money and not helping when needed i have promised my self to never join aami or to allow any other family members join aami worst insurance company ever

Insurance TypeCompulsory Third Party, Third Party Property Damage and Third Party, Fire and Theft
Claim MadeYes

Misleading information that costs YOU money

Purchase for an unregistered vehicle
Called Ammi for a CTP policy
I was told that because the vehicle was not insured that I had to pay approx $200 extra for the CTP
However when the vehicle got insurance I could call back and aami would refund back to me the additional charge
When I did call back aami 3 days later with the insurance details I was told that it was too late (basically bad luck) and that they can not give me back the refund for the CTP
Poor customer service providing false if not fraudulent information
Rubbish insurance company
Will not be purchasing another policy from aami ever again no matter how cheap they may be

Insurance TypeCompulsory Third Party and Third Party Property Damage
Plan covers drivers under 25No
Car ModelFord Focus LS (2005-2007)

Disgusting customer service

One star is generous, I’d give them zero stars if I could. The woman who I spoke to did not provide me with her name (for obvious reasons).
She was beyond rude. Please avoid AAMI for car insurance for your own sanity.

Poor service

Have had house and car with AAMI for many years and good past experience so was surprised when submitting claim last week. Claim consultant had very poor English and had to repeat myself several times and spell out simple words. Car has simple underbody damage to engine part which local non AAMI repairer could fix in 24 hours. AAMI took car to panel shop when told no panel damage where it has remained for a week without even being looked at. When called AAMI said that’s our process and could be three weeks after quote for repairs. Not good enough. Previously aami had prompt and efficient service now it’s rubbish.

Car ModelVolvo S40

worst customer service ever

Worst customer service ever! When I tried to consult something they were extremely impatient. When I felt that he did not help with my question, I asked again and I was scolded by him. Will not recommend it at all and I wish is there a zero star option to this rating

Insurance TypeCompulsory Third Party

Wouldn't recommend anyone

A customer of 15 years with AAMI, never claimed at my fault, had upto 7-9 policies at times. Last year someone hit me from rear at red light, small damage. It hurt my gut, dignity the way AAMI dealt with me from suspecting us as fraud, denial, harassing, lingering to rude behaviour means all possible way AAMI tried to punish me. AAMI’s logic was absurd to us as one doctor family wouldn’t set up an accident for a small thousand dollar claim. Specially one claim assessor and one customer service officer were the joint champion in these bad dealings, will never contact you, no explanation. Anyway took more than 4 months, enormous amount of time & efforts, inconveniences, huge patience, had to compromise a lot. No way I could recommend anyone AAMI anymore. So one by one my policies shifted to other providers.

Insurance TypeComprehensive, Compulsory Third Party, Third Party Property Damage and Third Party, Fire and Theft
Car Model2006-2014 Subaru Tribeca
Claim DateAugust 2018

Once a great insurer now the bottom of the heap!

I have a brand new $131,000 car. Unfortunately got the rear window broken and a small chip in the tailgate. Car is garaged in Queenscliff. But now I find out that AAMI has shut its Geelong repair and assessment facilities. So off I go 140 Kms to Melbourne. The jobs done and it looks like a four year old child did it. The car's name was replaced and it is so wonky it's an embarrassment to drive the car. The paint job was of a similar standard. By the way, I paid extra for glass replacement but was still charged $650 excess.

The repair shop agrees that its a poor job but I want to go somewhere else.

So I complain to AAMI - promises but no response. Next day, I send photos on the online claim site. Still no response. After an hour of deflection on the phone and "sorry your not happy" and an hour of hearing "You're so lucky you're with AAMI" - really?

So they want me to drive 140 kms to an assessor and 140 kms back because they don't service anywhere except the Melbourne eastern suburbs.

Then I'll have to drive 140 kms there and 140 kms back for it to be repaired.

All up 840 kms for a new rear window and a scratch repair at the closest AAMI approved repairer - do they own it? Because no one else seems to do their repairs anymore?. Best outcome - two days wasted.

And they still won't agree to redo the obviously terrible repair job on my brand new car!

Do not go, I repeat, Do not go to AAMI under any circumstances.

5 years ago they were great. Now just an overseas call centre with low ball repairers and diversion and frustration strategies.

The orange peel respray makes it look as if the paint is peeling, the lettering looks like I did myself in the dark on the way back from the pub. They have destroyed my new car!

Car ModelLand Rover Discovery 5 SE SD6
Claim Resolution Time<1 week

Worst insurance ever

Very worst customer service.i have cancelled my car insurance just because of their rude behaviour on their phone.cant understand their english.they hang up the phone when we are talking to them

Worst insurer

I made a claim after having a stressful accident. Four months later, they are still investigating me. Four months later, After I’ve submitted endless documentation to prove myself something or other, they still can’t tell me where my car is and are undertaking a ‘forensic investigation’. It has been months of stress and week to week with no car I keep checking with no useful information. There is no result in sight.

Plan covers drivers under 25No
Car ModelToyota Corolla E180/E170 (2012-2018)

Money never well spent.

If your car is more than 50000 dollars, dont choose Aami. They have treated me like a second class citizen/criminal, with investigations ongoing. They cant even say where my car is!!

Claim ApprovedNo

POOR SERVICE

it seems that all of a sudden the customer service has dropped significantly. Very disappointed because we never ever had such a bad service before.
1. Failure to email renewal documents even though they confirmed 3 times
2. Huge delay in refunding a cancelled policy and still waiting!

Not sure what it is or whether Suncorp became involved but we have three cars insured by AAMI and we would be cancelling all of them.

used to be a great product with great customer service now we have to repeat from the start our case.....sounds familiar when dealing with telecommunications companies!!

Claim MadeNo

Worst Insurance Company Ever!!!!!!

I put a car claim upon an accident with them and they haven't even had the car moved to their repairer for a week now!! The car hasn't been touched.

Car ModelVolkswagen Golf

Happy with AAMI Comprehensive Car Insurance

I have had AAMI Comprehensive Car Insurance on my Kia Rio since I bought it in 2012 and have been happy with their willingness to give me a discount for being a good driver. My previous car was written off in an accident and they paid it all back to me so was happy with that. Their phone staff have always been helpful with me so I've been happy with that.

Car ModelKia Rio
Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks

Completed disappointed

Completely disappointed with my car insurance claim. We were not at fault. The claims people just said if we came out to a large street from a small street you are autocratically at fault. So you expect us to to never come out of a small street?
Don’t expect us to use AAMI ever again and will recommend anyone against this company who asks. Happy to move to another insurance company and even pay more to not deal with these people. Lucky I won’t be with AAMI.

Claim ApprovedYes

Very happy with aami car insurance

Have had aami insurance for over twelve years and have had two family cars written off in this time and they have been great with follow up each time. Highly recommend.

Claim DateFebruary 2019
Claim ApprovedYes

18 years with AAMI. Always paid on time. When it came to claim. I did the running around and give them proof

They emailed all my personal details to the 3rd party involved. After the 5th follow up call, They said the investigation consultant put the wrong email address on your file.
I was angry and screaming but not swearing as I work for a call center for another company so I kept it as professional as possible. The operator then told me :You will loose this case because of your behavior.

Claim ApprovedNo

Hide main things when you sign up

I was involved in an accident and the car was written off. They rang me and said that we are going to give you the agreed value. But we will be deducting the remaining premium money in my case 7 months worth of insurance premium. Also that wasn't end so they also claimed left over registration on car which is 11 months.
So in the end i paid total of 1800 including the excess.
No one told me all this until something happened.

Ripping people of by hiding the truth and what they will sign you up with.

Car ModelToyota Camry
Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim DateMarch 2019

Unlucky with AAMI

Vehicle was an economical write off through theft but perfectly driveable.
The pay out was less than market rate as can be expected with insurance companies but I purchased the vehicle back for salvage as its perfectly driveable and not been crashed.
Its taken over 72 hours for them to organise a tow from the holding yard and still no end in sight.
Between incompetent AAMI and their tow truck vendors and the salvage yard I wouldnt trust any of them to sit the correct way around on a toilet seat.
I would like to allocate ZERO stars
AVOID this company and take your business else where.

Insurance TypeThird Party, Fire and Theft
Car Modelmazda
Claim DateJanuary 2019
Claim ApprovedYes

A company that only cares about themselves and what they will NOT pay.

Customer service (claim team) is based in the Philippines, but claim is processed onshore. What this means is the people who take your claim on the phone provide you wrong advises that leads to disappointment when claim is being processed by a completely different, yet company biased standard. Their policy on what’s paid and what’s not paid is very mean and biased, basically their payment is based on the rationale of “you shouldn’t be better off from the claim” (word to word quote from their claim processing specialist), and obviously it’s none of their business that you’re worse off because “that’s life”(as above). I was given an example on the provision of replacement vehicle during repair: “ we do like for like replacement in car hire, if your car is a Corrola, we are not going to hire you a BMW” (Ok, fair enough). When I asked that if my car is a BMW that’s going in for repair, does this mean I could hire a luxury car such as BMW as a like for like replacement? the answer was “well a BMW is very expensive to hire”, in another word, NO. A company that is driven by a culture as such Is willing to sacrifice a lot to beef up their profit, and that includes your trust and hard earned money. So Unless youre certain that you’ll never make a claim, RUN, as far away as you can.

Car ModelBMW 3 Series
Claim DateMarch 2019
Claim ApprovedYes

Hi, I have purchased car insurance with AAMI. I will be lending my car to a friend for 2 weeks in December. Will my car still be covered? My friend is over 25 years of age. Kind regards, Sally
Hi Best thing to do is call them and put your friends name on the policy

I pay thousands of insurance to aami each year having 3 cars several houses 2 businesses I am absolutely in the service of my car claims that I need for one of my businesses first they had me being responsible for car rentals as they didn't advise the car rental place and keep them upto dates with repairs now I am doing paperwork and going through bank statements and have realised that the claim was made on the 18 nov 2018 aami took out 695 excess from my bank on the 22 nov 2018 and then at the completion of the job also took the 695 excess from the payout figure that was left to pay out the car so I in fact have paid two excesses for one claim and now am on the phone arguing with them if I will get it back they have made an illegal debit of the excess on my card provided for monthly payments after I specifically said no I would pay excess when I pick up car which I did 48 mins now on the phone and they are arguing with me that they don't have to pay back 695 which is all clearly stated in bank statements and invoices and also they can see on the computer they did take the illegal payment out I think we have made a big mistake being with this insurance company after we were also ripped off by gio and now I find out they are the same really just ridiculous I will be changing the rest of my insurances
They all are from a same boat mate. My car was written off and aami charger me for the excess, remaining registration (11 months) and remaining insurance money(7 months). I also was with them 3 years so in total i ended up paying more than they gave me $3500.I was told by aami rep when a claim is made we still have to pay excess until its proven that we were not at fault regardless if the other party admits fault or not. But after more than 17 years I will never look at aami again. They lost 2 house insurance ( my mum and me ) 3 cars (my mum, me and my partners) All because of the horrible service they gave. "No loyalty when you're with aami" should be the slogan

My car ran out of rego last week was just about to re register and it got hit my hail Today badly I have full comprehensive insurance am I still covered???
That is absolutely untrue trojan horse, but I do appreciate the laugh from your misspelling of whether, considering the question. If the car was parked on private property at the time it was damaged then you are covered. If you were driving at the time, or even parked on a public road, and they know it was unregistered, they will not pay and will have the legal right not to as it was not legally allowed to be on the road and you were actually committing a crime when it was damaged. Apart from the PDS probably stating you must have registration on it to make the policy valid, I would imagine it won't take long to find the clause stating that you are not covered if you are committing a crime at the time the vehicle is damaged. I recently insured an unregistered vehicle and it was pointed out to me that until it was registered, they would only pay any claim where it was not on a road at the time (eg. it got stolen from my driveway or weather damage while parked in the driveway like in your case). On a side note, I would pay closer attention to keeping up on registration. You could be pulled up 60 seconds after it runs out and the fine is $600 upwards here in SA. Also, no matter the circumstances of any accident, you are at fault and not covered by insurance. Some hole in a Mercedes rear ends you at the lights while not paying attention because he is counting all his money while sipping his latte or something, and suddenly you're the one struggling to pay off a luxury car, never having actually owned it. Hardly worth risking over the effort involved in setting an alarm on your phone to repeat every 3 months, say 1 week before your registration runs out, or something similar to remind you. Regardless, you'll be fine since the car was stationary in the driveway, right? *wink*

Similar listings