AAMI Car Insurance

AAMI Car Insurance

2.1 from 1,031 reviews

Be adamant with what you expect

Have been insured with AAMI for about five years and this was my first claim. The process of making my claim on line was straight forward, but when it came to speaking to someone, even though they were polite, words like access were made instead of excess and that is how the conversation went. I was also given other incorrect information, like I had to get a code from each repairer and forward it to AAMI. The assessment from each of the designated repairers differed greatly and so I emailed AAMI stating which repairer I wanted to repair my car. Fortunately I was listened to and was sent to the repairer of my choice (Freeway Smash Repairs) and couldn’t have been more pleased with the work that they carried out. Thank you AAMI for listening to me

Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim DateDecember 2018
Claim ApprovedYes

High Price CTP

I have no qualms about paying more for a good product with reliable customer service, I do so (not with AAMI) for my comprehensive insurance on all 3 cards I own. However, asking for nearly double that of QBE for CTP is ridiculous. Why is it so outrageously expensive?? It's CTP for crying out loud. I have, obviously, not renewed the CTP that the previous owner had on the car. I felt so outraged by the amount that I felt it necessary to voice my outrage with this review.

Insurance TypeCompulsory Third Party
Claim Made:No
Book AgainNo

Lack of Empathy

My family & I were involved in a serious accident where we had a head on collision at 98 Kilometres an hour at Grafton [ There was a fatality ] . We were not the at fault Driver . 6 Weeks later we receive our first phone call from AAMI . We have spent 6 weeks trying to communicate with them but it generally means you spend 50 minutes listening to aren't i lucky i am with AAMI

We had a family of four involved with the accident and two young adults following in the car behind . I the driver spent two nights in Grafton Hospital . After contacting AAMI we were told that the Maximum help we would receive because we were over 500 kilometres from home would be $500 dollars . How the hell do you get a family home for $500 How do you put a family up in a hotel while one of you recover. They false advertise and do not give a crap about people . There should be a Royal Commission into these insurance companies

Plan covers drivers under 25No
Car ModelNissan Patrol Y61 (1997-2014)
Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim DateJanuary 2019
Claim ApprovedNo

What happened to the old AAMI customer service?

No longer an actual person answering the phone and then you go through to an overseas call centre. On my third transfer now and the line has gone quiet then disconnected. I have five cars insured and have not made a single claim in the decade I have been with AAMI. My car went through a pothole and now it pulls to the left. Pedders say it can't be fixed with standard wheel alignment techniques. Need to start swapping out control arms / steering box etc - could be a cheap fix or could be expensive. AAMI advise that I can claim but even if the repair is all paid by me because it is less than my excess, I lose my no claims bonus and my premiums automatically go up. If I elect to arrange the repair myself and it ends up being $5k, I can't make a claim. Will definitely start shopping around as renewals come up.

Claim Made:No
Book AgainNo

Caring, understanding and efficient with my at fault claim

Too often with products, we will only review for a negative experience and not bother with a positive experience.
I recently was involved in a horrible car crash where I was technically at fault and my car and another car where both written off (everyone was fine thankfully).
I shortly after, called Aami to lodge a claim, the representative was friendly, kind and caring and answered all my questions while reassuring I'd be taken care of.
I was kept up to date with the process and was paid out the full amount on my policy about a week later. I've since bought another car and have insured with Aami again.
I felt terrible about the accident and was humbled by how Aami took care of me.
Highly recommended.

Plan covers drivers under 25Yes
Car ModelSubaru Outback BR (2009-2014)
Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim DateJanuary 2019
Claim ApprovedYes

Awful experience for me

High excess for the value they provide and they do almost everything to no refund you back any part of excess. Good customer service though. I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone.

Insurance TypeThird Party, Fire and Theft
Claim Resolution Time3+ months

Caravan quote

Have 2 cars insured with aami so five times i called trying to get caravan insurance but it didn't match the criteria. Asked to speak with team leader was told that long wait and can't be insured. Called the complaints line. Insured with no problems. But not happy with the initial service so pathetic it was not followed up by management

Bad
Plan covers drivers under 25Yes

Wonderful Service and Access to Benefits!

They helped me to change my existing motor vehicle policy over to my new car, so that I retained my rating and my safe driver reward. This was something that I was completely unaware was possible and it saved me a LOT of money! Then, they helped me to set up month-by-month payment for cover of my old car, which is perfect because I am trying to sell it! I also have my home and contents with Aami. Their service is wonderful. They even give customers access to Suncorp Benefits (discounts on e-gift cards and regular gift cards)!!! They certainly make me feel valued as a customer.

Plan covers drivers under 25No

Not a great experience for me

They offered me a rental, then took it back a week early. They offered me payment for my Uber, they never paid, now I'm on hold for 'up to' 40 minutes, 8.30pm on a Tuesday night. I had the insurance for $2000, they gave me $1500 and said get the rest from your green slip, and rego. Something has changed, I think they were bought by sun corp, who don't have a good reputation from my understanding. I'm with Woolworth's for my new Subaru Liberty, pay as you go.

Insurance claim madeYes

Will accuse you of fraud rather than honour policy

My best friend is distraught! AAMI accuses her of stealing her own car! Only 5 years old and clearly got hot wired! She’s never made a claim before! Police agree it was stolen. Do not insure with this organisation. They’re crooks and will do anything no to pay.

Insurance claim madeNo

AAMI online simply doesn't work, errors all over the place

So I registered via AAMI online, logged in, added my policy.
Now I wanted to view my policy details to confirm.
It shows "Application error, your request cannot be processed"
Clicked renew to renew policy, showed the same error.

Had to logout and use the online payment link to pay via credit card.
After entering a long reference#, they didn't show any details to assure me this is the right policy to pay, just asked for credit card info, how dumb is that?
There is an email field to send payment confirmation, and they didn't even think of entering the email address twice to confirm.
After I paid, got email confrmation, waited an hour, logged in, policy still says renewal pending. what the heck was going on?

AAMI sucks, its online system sucks, whoever designed their web functionality should be fired. it's the worst insurance system i've ever seems.
Both QBE and Allianz are way better.
Next year I will definitely dump AAMI, even if it means paying a bit more.

USELESS SERVICE

At present my car is insured with AAMI. I have rung several times requesting my claims history so I can take my insurance to another company, due to the high cost of insurance with AAMI. At first they did not send the details despite telling me they would. After waiting 3 weeks I contacted them. They then sent a letter which stated only that I had a current policy with them, nothing regarding no claims bonus or the date of the accident I had. This is totally useless to me. I am fed up with this company. As soon as I can pry some info out of them I will be cancelling my policy. Give them a fat miss, I wish I had.

Insurance claim madeNo

Illiterate staff members, they pretend that they know English, but they don’t.

These guys are terrible as I ask them to edit my policy and instead of doing that they created a new one. Second, when I ask them to refund one of the amount, they cancelled the wrong policy. Last one was amazing there was a specialists, she asked me not to pay this month fees and asked me to split payment into next 11 months. Than I said no, I want to pay. But after paying she send a mail of wrong instalment amount.

Recommendations: Train your terrible, illiterate and disrespectful staff.... please

Insurance claim madeNo

Fixed one thing but disabled my car completely!!

I had a Bmw x5 that was affected by flood last July. There electrical compartment and carpets etc were all changed completely but they did not write off the car claiming its not up to a certain percent. For a $20k insured car, over $15k was spent. A month after picking up my car, both my handbrake and started motor failed. After contacting AAMI for request to repair this, they claimed it was ‘wear and tear’ when these parts were functioning perfectly fine. The reason it wasn’t written off was because we were told only $11k was spent on the fixing but guess what? When we called up assessment team we were told repairs were over $15k. A perfectly functioning car is now not working because Aami doesnt ‘think’ its their fault. These cars function all electronically and the whole car was affected by flood. We were nice about it and accepted to get it fixed ourselves and requested to tow the car to our mechanic! Guess what? The car was delivered completely dismantled with parts of the car missing!!! Now we have no car, no replacement car was given and I had to go out of my way to borrow car from others. I advice anyone to keep away from this insurance company! They LIE to you then we you call management they simply tell you ‘you shouldnt have got a policy with us’!! If IDR does not help us this is going to be a big court case as we have a dysfunctional unsafe car for our small children and all paid extensive premiums to Aami because they are suppose to be ‘excellent’ in what they do!! I’m happy to share the current disasterous state with everyone and tell them to keep away from this company!! I will take all the legal action I can.

Also the road side assist was terrible!!! roadside assist guy just left me with my foot on the brake pedal until tow trucks came which took 2 hours

Insurance claim madeYes

40 mins on hold to make a car claim!

It’s a total joke! a call to make a claim after hours is 40 mins!!! WTH! Contradicts all of their marketing brainwash hold messages! You are a valued customer that’s why we don’t bother answering because it’s after 5pm! Am at the pub!

Insurance claim madeYes

Not very happy with the chosen repairers

My car was stolen and then recovered later with some damages. AAMI was OK in every aspect but the repairing workshop they had chosen (named "5 star Panels") was terrible. Also AAMI was completely detached from the process of repairing. They could be more engaged and involved. Examples of how bad the repairs were, the bumper was loos making wobbling noise until I found the problem. Rear splashes were not installed causing the bumper to be loose. Air filtering compartment was missing from the car; something that any mechanic would notice right away. Engine was sucking the air directly from outside (air filter bypassed). And of course many minor issues such as car wheel covers replaced with some from a different model. I had to take the car back to the workshop 3 times over 3 months to resolve the obvious problems. I don't know if there are hidden problems but I can see a bit of instability on turns. Can't afford getting it fully checked ATM. I should be fair and state that the exterior painting was good.
I also like to add that the car was stolen after my house was broken into and I am very satisfied with the AAMI's Building and Contents department. Meanwhile, their customer service (apart from the problem mentioned above) is really good.

excellent claims service

had several claims with aami. excellent service each time. provided taxi to and from assessment center, kept us informed of progress and delivered on time. Most recent was hail damage, car fixed quickly and perfectly. highly recommended, but check and phone before paying renewal. beware of insurance that sounds good when they take your money, it is how they pay up that is the issue and aami have been great for us every time.

Terrible customer service

I have been a customer for many years. Disappointed with the customer service when calling to speak to someone. On one occasion I had to call twice each time waiting in excess of 42 minutes. This is disgraceful. However they are quick to sell you insurance and take your money.
will be looking for another insurer!!!

No stars

An AAMI client hit us and AAMI proceeded to drag the process out and try to put us under duress to us one if their shonky repairers. Wouldn’t give us hire car (no car for a week). These guys are the worst. Poor customer service. Even though I told them my name 100 times every time I spoke to someone there they called me a different name. Customer service is nil.

Insurance claim madeYes

Safe rewards not based on customer loyalty - based on years a specific policy is held

Have held comprehensive car insurance, ctp, house and contents with AAMI for at least 10 years. 2 cars in family, same drivers. No claims affecting safe driver rewards. Realised second car only received 5% discount and diamond status lost as we purchased a new car - sold the old one which held 3rd party property damage for a short period of time.
Very disappointed that AAMI would not even give us a lilltle extra discount to maintain our policy - obviously they do not want or need our business!