2.0 from 1,118 reviews

Do not get AAMI to insure anything you own!

3 weeks ago my partner was in a car accident
With my new born baby.
The other driver was at fault
His insurance company is aami
They refuse to look at the car and are making things extremely difficult to get our brand new family car back on the road!!
What is wrong with these companies????
They take everyone’s money and don’t do the job they are supposed to do!
Please use any other insurance company
Stay away from AAMI

Car ModelHonda CR-V

AAMI is disgusting

This is an absolute disgusting insurance that I have ever been into, they do not understand and help you out all they say is that “that’s the policy” I don’t know why people is insured with them. It’s wast of time spending more then an hour on the phone and getting no help. It feels like they’re just using people and they don’t even know what the market value is they just find some cheaper value and tell you that’s all I can help with absolutely disgusting. People stop wasting your money and time with a insurance that doesn’t even value nothing

Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks

Oh, AAMI Bad!

had an accident but wasn't my fault, Aami insist send it to Capital Smart at Botany and there go the nightmare. send car in for assessed so they could order the part need but was told " we only order part in when the car is in, what if your car get stolen after we ordered the parts?" end up delayed pick up the car due to parts wasn't ready.....Aami Can't do attitude doesn't help at all either, was promised a call back but never get it and even speak to the supervisor is pointless, 50 mins on the line with them end up nothing!!!

Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim DateApril 2017
Claim ApprovedYes

If you want to donation then get insurance with them

Helpless
Bad service long call waiting
No good answer and helpless
I never use this insurance company in my life
I prefer everyone please think 100k times before you get insurance with them, when you paying them for insurance they don’t ask you where you get money to pay, or if struggling to pay we can give you discount no nothing,
I was using them from 3 years, i had accident they was keep putting my claim on delays and after i fed up I withdrew my claim, because their staff was disturbing me and but more stress on me, end of day i got my car from them and i gave to wrecker, they lost my my custom number plates, that was cost me $250 to reorder, they paid $67 that was big joke, they got staff to disturbing you to don’t pay for your car ,
I would say don’t use their insurance because end of day you have to cover your self by yourself, they just know how to take it from customers bank account, when their turn comes up they try to find just excuses to reject your claim or pushing people to withdraw their claims

Car ModelLand Rover Range Rover Evoque
Claim DateDecember 2018
Claim ApprovedNo
I got big friend circle, I always suggest them to get insurance with them since this things happened I told all my friends and whoever have insurance with in my circle to cancel and they did, nearly 100 policies been cancelled, more will be soon

WARNING they are abysmal - never go through AAMI!

I have been with AAMI for at least 5 years. I recently caused damage to my own car, hit a trolley bay... under their comprehensive insurance and the damage was not that bad (some scratches and dents) at all but since I take a lot of pride in my car I decided to pay the excess of $650 and have them repair it. I arranged via AAMI to take it to a repairer and they said they are taking it to Altona North as the repair needed to be done elsewhere as they were unable to do it. It went to a panel beater and AAMI call it a total loss (economic)!! Because they say my car is old. They asked if I wanted the car back and I said YES!!! They gave me $325 back to get my perfectly fine car. The car came back to me on a tow truck with my number plates having been ripped off the car and ruined! They had not done any work to my car and ripped off the plates! For what??! They refused to pay to replace the plates and had done no work to my car yet still charged me all this money. Even the tow truck driver was kind and couldn't believe they didn't fix my car and also help me try and bend back my number plates for my car! Don't go with AAMI. They are very good at taking your money but not loyal to their customers and don't care if they lose you either. I've now switched insurers for car and home contents insurance. Horrible experience after paying them thousands of dollars! They left me with more work and costs to fix my car. Devastated.

Car ModelToyota Corolla
Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim ApprovedNo

Asks you to pay the excess before even looking at the claim

AAMI asks you to pay full excess before processing your claim. They don't even looked at it, who is at fault is not determined, there is no cost estimate of the repairs.

They simply ask you to pay the full excess, or they will chase you within the next 2 days to get the money.

I believe it is a clear case of infringement of (non) due diligence, and should be a matter to a complain to ASIC.

AAMI is part of Suncorp group, I would avoid all of them altogether.

AAMI are hopeless

If your after an insurance company that will not help you when you have a claim AAMI is the way to go.
That are frustratingly slow and after your 3 or fourth hour on the phone you may begin to think your time is more valuable that the claim. Don't matter how cheap they are if they don't help they are no use

Insurance TypeCompulsory Third Party
Car ModelNissan Pathfinder R51
Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks

Beware!!!

BEWARE!!!!
Had the unfortunate luck of having record amount of rain in our area in 1hr- storm water backed up (so did 100s of properties in the area), yet they couldn’t repair our house due to “maintenance issues”. Despite me having a independent plumbing inspector completely confirm the cause of the damage!
And then, a month later, we hit a kangaroo, a repair job estimated for 2 weeks took 8 weeks- no response from them, I had to call every week only to be told it would be another week until we received the car, apparently we weren’t eligible for a hire car or replacement vehicle even though they did not live up to the first agreement of when my car would be fixed, got the car back with half a tank of fuel gone and clearly had people in the back as head rests etc were in use (we have car seats- so definitely wasn’t from us and there was no reason for them to be in the rear of the vehicle as it’s front end damage! Can’t prove anything though, so obviously didn’t happen....
AND the day we got car back, wheels and steering are shaking all over place (obviously from running over a kangaroo), but I now need to prove what the damage is from so they will finish the repair work. Absolutely ridiculous! Do not insure with AAMI, they do not have customer interests as any priority!!!! It’s all about the $$ they can make off you and save!!

Claim Resolution Time3+ months

Not the Cheapest but definitely the easiest , Australian speaking, efficient to deal with

Have several policies and have just renewed all...had a couple of non-fault claims on eldest daughter's car. AAMI took control, organised absolutely everything, notified all parties of every step along the way, resolved incredibly fast...super impressed!

Insurance TypeComprehensive and Compulsory Third Party
Car ModelMazda CX-5 KF Akera AWD, 2.2L Diesel
Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim ApprovedYes

worst car insurance company ever

I rarely do comments like this bu AAMI has deserved it.

We currently hold 19 insurances under AWS Enterprise and we are looking to cancel them all because their are messy, slow, slow communicators.
For example, i called yesterday to request claim history of all our vehicles and i receive today only one. I spent yesterday 30 minutes requesting this, now i called again and spent another 20 minutes.

As a company we cannot login online because the platform is only for individuals. i advised this and they did not care.

terrible experience with AAMI.

Claim MadeNo

10 year old good car with existing scratches (self painted) - No comprehensive insurance policy

I had a long phone call to get all the necessary info for a quote. The lady asked brief questions and was willing to put me through the sign-ing up process. I was cautious of course, as I was just shopping around to compare, and I did tell her that. She asked if I had any questions. I mentioned why you didn't ask about the car current / pre-existing damages (as other providers always ask). She then asked, and I replied our car had 3 scatches (like 1mm deep but as long as 10cm+, due to myself scratching it in the garage 3 years ago when I first got my P-green license). I've since then got no claim for the last 3 years + with all comprehensive car insurances. Been having good driving record with my current insurer (only reason leaving is because they increase the premium for no real reason). And AAMI said their policy is not to insure car with pre-existing damages (duh?). Meaning you only insure almost brand-new car?...

On a side note, I feel bad for my friend (who recommended me AAMI and who has been very loyal to AAMI for the last 3-4 years). He had his comprehensive for both cars, and each at ~ $1000 plus. His cars are in good condition but not that brand new. The one I got quoted (as a new customer) from AAMI, before I told them that the car had pre-ex scratches which they should have checked, was $600++.

Car ModelToyora Camry ASV50R / AVV50R Altise
Claim MadeNo

Shocking company who does not honour claims

Contaminated fuel ruined our motor which was confimed by our mechanic who first saw the car after the engine was destroyed. We were insured for it but a incompetent mechanic by the name of Chris who worked for AAMI checked the car 3 months later and said it was not contaminated fuel but he did not know what it was that ruined our engine. Mind you he came and checked the car and took a sample 3 months later in a vegemite jar.

Car ModelBMW 6 Series
Claim DateJune 2016

Blatant Profiteering on CTP - For What Genuine Reason - Rip-off

Earlier this year I had a minor car accident that was regarded as my fault. When I say minor; no-one was injured, panel damage only where both cars were fully drivable having kissed.

I have just received my CTP insurance renewal where this accident has been recorded as "at fault" resulting in a premium increase of 48%; yes last year was $496, next 12 months is to be $734.

Interestingly had I not had a recorded "at fault" accident, the next 12 months as per the Green Slip Comparison Website would have been $423!!!

AAMI like many of the insurance companies are all owned by Suncorp Group.

Suncorp owns the following brands; Suncorp Insurance, GIO, AAMI, Apia, Shannons, InsureMyRide, Vero, Terri Scheer, Bingle, CIL, Asteron and Tyndall insurance brands in Australia.

How did AAMI know about this accident ahead of me advising and discussing? Well my car is insured with GIO, another company owned by Suncorp and they shared my personal information between companies.

So I rang AAMI speaking to a [name removed] and via her, her un-named Supervisor where I explained the recorded "at fault" accident and suggested they could validate my claim the accident was minor by cleverly talking to their brethren at GIO.

"Unfortunately" (hmmmm unfortunate for who?) I was told, I had an "at fault" claim and because of this, for the next 2 years AAMI believes they are entitled to ripping me off to the tune of hundreds of dollars ---- For what understandable reason????????

AAMI told me I could go to the Green Slip Comparison website to see if I could do any better as after all I was reminded it was only an offer for insurance, I did not have to accept it. Really??

So let's examine this. In NSW CTP can be purchased from the following; (AAMI, GIO) - same parent company, Allianz, NRMA, QBE.

So there are 4 organisations. A quick search of these cartels (without as yet ringing a human to see if they want to be reasonable) reveal very similar pricing by 3 of them; ($732, $734), $732, $735, $646.

What a great system. No price fixing here.

Terrible experience

My car was hit from behind by a AAMI customer. It went to the AAMI recommend repairer (or they wouldn't guarantee repairs) and after 2 weeks I got it back with incorrect panel trim, a mis-aligned reversing camera, unbuffed and peeling spots on the paint and the driver's seat not addressed.
I was told that an assessor would have to look at my seat but they can make appointments so I would have to come outside whenever they arrived. I can't do that as I am a teacher and I was told too bad by the first 2 people I spoke too. Finally a date was organised and an assessor agreed that my seat wasn't straight. 3 weeks and 3 wasted calls to AAMI later, due to their phone people not following through on returning calls or emailing information I finally got a call (after my 4th call to AAMI) and was told that I now need to pay for a report from my car manufacturer and a hire car and they might pay me back if it meets their fairness policy that they can't share with me.
It really seems like they are trying to make the process as difficult as they can so I give up.
Can't wait to see the royal inquiry into insurance.

Car ModelHolden Astra BK (Hatchback) R
Claim DateMay 2019

Staff involved with fraud and theft and a Toxic company that covers it up.

Anyone thinking of using this company or have any dealings with AAMI should be concerned as it’s a toxic company that support staff when they commit fraud and theft. Well over 20k was stolen from AAMI by a staff member who used my private information, details etc. for their own financial gain. I spoke with AAMI staff several times about all this money from AAMI going in and out of my account without my consent or permission but they would not give me a straight answer over the phone so I went in to see them with my bank statements etc.
The AAMI staff member told me
“it looks like your pays going in and out of your account each week”
, I replied that’s strange as I don’t work for AAMI but my flat mate does. Management were no help either so I reported it to Detectives here in Canberra. They looked into it for me and later told me they had spoken with managment at AAMI and the fraud team at AAMI who explained that a Senior Client Manager had committed a mass amount of fraud and theft. They then told me AAMI Management stated to them that they don’t wish to lay charges against its own staff. The Police and Detectives stated they cant proceed with the matter because management at AAMI have stated they do not wish for its manager to be charged with fraud and theft. I’ll never use this company and suggest you take care when dealing with them.

Claim MadeNo

Roadside assistance Quick and professional !!!

My car had a puncture last night. I called Aami and was told it could take up to 60 minutes. It only took 20 for Nick to arrive. He was so helpful and friendly.
The whole thing from my call took 35 minutes.
Thanks to Nick. He is in Melbourne.
Fantastic, Fast service and free as part of my policy. Thanks Aami you made my night !!!

Car ModelHyundai Accent
Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Claim DateJuly 2019
Claim ApprovedYes

Stalling and excuses and uncooperative claims processors

Aami customer (Red-P-plater, daddy’s policy) parked on hill and forgot handbrake, vehicle rolled 50m down steep hill, ran into our camperbus (April 2019), claim against driver still waiting on settlement ...

Car ModelFord Mustang FM Fastback GT
Claim DateApril 2019

lucky I am with AAMI

I had couple of things happening, with AAMI felt well look after, secure,and fully protected.
l was lucky to have AAMI, their employees are amazing they help you all way through.
l had my property insured with them, and now l am bringing forward my cars l am not happy with service from other insurers.

Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Claim DateJanuary 2017

Terrible service terrible insurer

29 days to get me an answer as to what is happening with my car..
Terrible car hire no communication with car hire place..
Car hire threatning to charge me for car hire will be changing insured asap..
Still waiting on when I will get my car back and what state I will get it back in..
AMMI took my car from repairer to repairer around Sydney until they could find someone who is willing to fix it.. which tells me that the car should have been written off...
Even though the accident was not my fault and they would have gotten all there money back from the other insurer..
I say very unlucky to be with AMMI teribble terrible terrible..

Car ModelNone of your business
Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim DateJune 2019

Too expensive for customer of 9 years

Recently discovered that the price of my insurance with AAMI is 2x more than other insurance companies are offering. I have been a member with them for 9 years with 0 at fault claims and I can not believe that I have been paying them $120 a month for a 2006 Lancer.
They claimed it was because of the area I lived in and could not give me a discount. Be careful with this insurance as they will slowly increase your premium for no real reason at all.

Car ModelMitsubishi Lancer