How to compare car insurance to find the best policy for you

Read now

• Timeliness
  • Job Satisfaction
  • Claim Resolution Time3+ months (38), 1-2 weeks (23), 1-2 months (21), 2-4 weeks (19) and <1 week (16)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (80) · No (38)

Yanara

YanaraSydney, NSW

The worst insurance company

I was insured with AAMI about 4 months. I got an email saying my policy has been canceled due to an overdue payment that somehow wasn’t debited from my bank account over a month. I’ve read many reviews here and people are getting the same problem. Never received any bill not even a call from anyone from AAMI. I called them and was informed that I had to start another policy and the price would be higher. You guys don’t give a damn to your costumers. You guys think that canceling people’s policy is gonna make them get another policy, you wrong! I feel I’ve been robbed over these 04 months of insurance! I decided to don’t getting another policy, I’m getting from someone else. Take care.

Car ModelBMW 2 Series Convertible

Claim DateNovember 2020
alex c.

alex c.Victoria

Disappointed with their service

We bought 3 policies with AAMI,but so far I couldn't access to the AAMI club and everyday saving account,communicated with them quite a few times,email not responsed,the problem is there,very disappointed with their services

Brendan

BrendanCentral West, NSW

Do not get roadside assist if so go with RACQ

They don't offer roadside assist even though I payed the extra . I'm ropable . Pay the extra and go with RACQ. I've learnt a valuable lesson. Lucky my missus had RACQ they sent out roadside assistance for breakdown then towed us 140km home unlike AAMI who were only going to tow us 20km or to the nearest mechanic. I know darned well who I'll pick for my insurer next time and it won't be AAMI. Rip off merchants and fraudsters saying they do roadside assist . What a joke!!!! If I could get a refund I'd go with RACQ . (For Qld customers). POLICY MEANS NOTHING.

Car ModelToyota LandCruiser 100
Sue

SueSydney, NSW

Still have to pay insurance policy even when car written off

Car insured with AAMI for 5 years. Car in accident and written off. When accessing the claim amount they deducted the remaining 4 months insurance for a car that doesn't exist. Are you serious. Sure charge a cancellation fee but don't charge all the remaining insurance for a car that is gone to the Car Gods.

Insurance TypeComprehensive and Compulsory Third Party
Car ModelToyota HiLux
Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim DateNovember 2020
Max B.

Max B.South East Queensland, QLD

AAMI do not honour their PDS

AAMI have denied my insurance claim based on an irrelevant exclusion in their PDS. According to AAMI, they do not cover a stolen car claim if the car was for sale at the time it was stolen! This is contrary to their PDS (which logically excludes cover AFTER the car has been sold) and should go as a fair warning to anyone considering AAMI as an insurer. They have been slow to acknowledge and process the clam and continue to draw it out as long as possible. I am now being forced to go to AFCA for a fair outcome.

Car ModelVolkswagen Golf

Good Experience

Have 2 comprehensive vehicle insurance policies with AAMI, made a claim this year for minor damage caused by another vehicle whose details i had. I found the claim process quick and painless l did refuse to accept their 1st preference repairer and was escalated to a manager where i argued for another repairer l was familiar with for good work who was also a registered AAMI repairer but not promoted by AAMI. I had a hire car arranged and taxi to/from repairer. Based on my experience and I'm not someone who tolerates bad service I couldn't fault my experience and would recommend.
Only downside is their premiums increase by double digit % annually however if you call their c/s agent does have authority to reduce by 3%-5%.

Car ModelMazda 2
Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Claim DateAugust 2020
Bej

Bejbrisbane

AAMI does not

No value for money ,they have worked hard not to help.AAMI like to hide key information in the back pages. I do not trust them and will not use them again.

Courtney

CourtneyGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Aami Left us for Dead! Zero care for human beings.

Car ModelSubaru Outback

Stephanie

StephanieSouth East Queensland, QLD

Can't believe I did not cancel them the first time.

Car ModelToyota RAV4
Charlie N.

Charlie N.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Terrible services

I bought a new policy over the phone and the women made not one but two mistakes. She entered my email wrong so I couldn't receive my documents so I have to call them again. She also entered my DOB wrong, I said 1992 but she entered 1982, I could not understand how the 9 sounds to be 8??? And then I have to pay $40 to just change my DOB on the policy which I only receive after I made a payment, they refuse to send a quote before I made a payment over the phone. Another woman called Stephanie just explained to me she listened to the call from her side couple of times and she confirmed I said 8, not 9, and refuse to let me hear the call. Such ridiculous. I will change to another provider after my policy expires with AAMI>

Insurance TypeThird Party, Fire and Theft
Car ModelToyota Camry
V Kim

V KimSouth East Queensland, QLD

Worst experience Ive ever had

The service I received and the entire duration of the claim was so bad I ended up selling my car, I couldnt stand it any more because they ruined it.
I was rear ended in sep 2019 and it took them 6 months to get my car repaired and back to me in a safe, drive-able condition. They were horrid to deal with and I went through about 6 different people during my claim.

Claim Resolution Time3+ months
shamsuddin

shamsuddinCentral Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

poor and lazy service

very terrible and poor service of aami car insurance.. My care was stolen two month ago..... still claim has not resolved yet. I dont know what they want to prove. I have been suffering without a car. but they dont have feeling of any suffering ..
whenever i called them , they have only one answer.. the claim in in process with the investigation. although, they have debited basic premium on the 1st day of claim...

poor service ..

Car ModelKia Sorento AWD Diesel
Claim ApprovedNo

Corner cutting repairs (WHISTLEBLOWER INFO)

Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Claim DateSeptember 2019
Claudia Morgan

Claudia MorganSydney, NSW

Not lucky to be with AAMI

Car ModelToyota RAV4 XA40 AWD 2.2L Turbo-Diesel Cruiser
Claim Resolution Time1-2 months

D smitty

D smittySouth East Queensland, QLD

Muckup on their end this time.

Been with AAMI for 7 months now, never had an issue with my payments. There's always been money in the bank, for them to deduct the payments automatically. Wokeup this morning to an email, the payments been declined for insufficient funds LOL. Checked my bank money still in it, so had to manually process the payment through. If it wasn't AAMI fault, then I apologize. Only leaves one culprit then, Westpacs been messing around with my pennies ...tsk tsk tsk.

Insurance TypeComprehensive, Compulsory Third Party, Third Party Property Damage and Third Party, Fire and Theft
Car ModelJeep Cherokee KK
Hosan

HosanGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Not repairing my car,it’s more than 3 weeks,no more longer better service,go somewhere else,0422283475

Not repairing my car,paid access already,will complain relevant authorities,for unfair trading,I will also complain to disputes resolution team,then court remedies,may be they refuse 50% claim,that’s there profit,there advertising and product description not matching

Car ModelFord Falcon BA
Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Kamal Sharma

Kamal SharmaSydney, NSW

Worst Service ever.

Don't go for it. Its a scam. Only taking your money for apologies no Service ever. Worst customer Service n worst Assistance. Worst worst Service ever. Customer Service dosen't have any solution

Car ModelMazda 6

You don't get what you pay for.

I have been with AAMI for 8 years and their staff are all very sympathetic and friendly but you get passed from one operator to the next who often tell you that it is not their department. Most correspondence is verbal (even though I asked for it in writing, so there could be no confusion). My car was written off at no fault of my own and I am still greatly out of pocket. I will not be insuring with them again.

Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim DateOctober 2020
Kathleen S.

Kathleen S.Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

SEXIST PREMIUM If you remove a man from your policy your premium GOES UP!

Insurance TypeComprehensive and Compulsory Third Party

Wendy0707

Wendy0707asked

Car Insurance - Comprehensive

How do you decide who is at fault for collision

Fiona
Fiona

It goes by the road laws. For example, if the other person was supposed to give way and you were already in the intersection, then the other person is at fault.

Angelito
Angelito

Hi Wendy! Well it depends if you think fault of the other party, of course they will fight for you but it needs justification. Proof thanks

Jase J.

Jase J.asked

Car Insurance

Why is my claim review taking so long I am homless and live out the car I suffer a neurological disease that causes me to stutter AAMI thought they put the call on hold but took it off for me to hear them picking on my stutter saying nnnnooooo moooonnnnneeeyyyy fffffooooorrrrr hhhhimmmm I have contacted 2gb and am contacting channel 9 I just wanted to hurt myself after hearing the mocking and have only just been released from hospital

jay shankhar

jay shankharasked

Car Insurance

the car is my name where as my wife is the main driver, can i insure the car in her name please

S G
S G

You can insure the car while including her as the main driver. However, it is still your car and the insurance will pay you if something happened to your car.

Fired Up
Fired Up

Ask AAMI

Get an answer from our members and AAMI representatives

Underwritten by the Suncorp Network, AAMI offers four car insurance policies: CTP green slip for NSW, ACT and SA, Comprehensive, Third Party Property Damage Only, and Fire, Theft and Third Party Property Damage.

Points of praise for AAMI:

• AAMI's top score was given for its timeliness in responding to claims.
  • Friendly and personable customer service was appreciated. Two customers reported AAMI ‘going above and beyond’ by helping them generously during times of financial hardship.
  • Multiple reviewers reported that AAMI offered to organise Ubers from the repairer to and from their homes. Others enjoyed a smooth and hassle-free experience when making claims, with quick response times from AAMI.

Pain points with AAMI:

• AAMI’s chosen repairers and roadside-assist contractors were thought to be low quality
  • Premiums increasing considerably even with no claims being made (this increase in premiums appeared to also apply to customers who had taken out multiple policies with AAMI, e.g. home and contents insurance along with car insurance).
Compare all 4 AAMI Car Insurance
CategoryRoadside Assistance Providers and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance Providers and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance Providers and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance Providers and Car Insurance
Other Insurance Types Offered Business, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and TravelBusiness, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and TravelBusiness, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and TravelBusiness, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and Travel
Coverage TypeCompulsory Third Party (CTP Green Slip)ComprehensiveThird Party Property DamageThird Party, Fire and Theft
UnderwriterAAIAAIAAIAAI
Legal Liability Cover Not IncludedIncluded up to $20 millionIncluded up to $20 millionIncluded up to $20 million
Roadside Assistance Not OfferedOptional ExtraNot OfferedNot Offered
Reduced or Zero Excess Windscreen CoverNot OfferedZero Excess Optional ExtraNot OfferedNot Offered
Choice of RepairerNot ApplicableNot AllowedNot AllowedNot Allowed
After Accident Care
Hire Car after an Incident

Not Applicable

Included, up to $90 per day for unlimited days - must use car by AAMI provider if available and within a reasonable distance of your location. Benefit ceases when:

• your car is returned undamaged;
  • your car is repaired and returned to you;
  • your claim is settled

Not Included

Emergency Transport & AccommodationNot ApplicableIncluded up to $250 per claim for Transport costs, and up to $1,000 for Emergency Accomodation if you are more than 100km from home (combined with Emergency Repairs and Personal Property)Reasonable taxi costs included for up to 2 journeys (applies to 'Damage by uninsured drivers' claims only)Reasonable taxi costs included for up to 2 journeys
Towing Costs Not ApplicableIncludedIncluded (only for a claim made under 'Damage by uninsured drivers'Included
Hire Car after a No Fault Accident

Not Applicable

Included - must use car by AAMI provider if available and within a reasonable distance of your location. Benefit ceases when:

• your car is repaired and returned to you; or
  • your claim is settled

Not Included

Essential / Emergency RepairsNot ApplicableIncluded (combined with Emergency Accomodation & Personal Property), up to $1,000 per incidentNot IncludedNot Included
Benefits
Pay As You Drive / Fixed Kilometre DiscountNot ApplicableNot OfferedNot OfferedNot Offered
Hire Car after Theft

Not Applicable

Included up to 21 days - must use car by AAMI provider if available and within a reasonable distance of your location

Not Included

Lock and Key ReplacementNot ApplicableNot IncludedNot IncludedIncluded up to $1,000
Transit Cover Not ApplicableNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Trailer & Caravan CoverNot ApplicableTwo-Wheel Trailer Cover included up to $1,000Not IncludedNot Included
Child Safety Seats and PramsNot ApplicableIncluded up to $500 per claimNot IncludedNot Included
New-for-old Car Replacement

Not Applicable

Included, if you are the first registered owner of the car and it is less than 2 years old

Not Included

Personal Property CoverNot ApplicableIncluded up to $1,000 (combined with Emergency Accomodation and Repairs)Not IncludedIncluded up to $500 (does not include cash, tools and items use for business or trade)
Uninsured Motorist Benefit Not ApplicableNot ApplicableIncluded up to $5,000Included up to $5,000
Accidental Loss or Damage