AAMI Car Insurance

AAMI Car Insurance

2.1 from 1,048 reviews

Wanted insurance on two cars. Was offered appalling market values almost half what another company gave me.... 1 star!!!

Paid 33000 for a car worth 34000 to 40000 and was only offered insurance covering it for 22000 and second car is valued at 18000 and was told could only insure it for 5000. got a far better deal elsewhere

Don't buy this insurance

This people are charging money unnecessarily. If you put direct debit they will add any amount of money their policy and get from your account as they did same to me. So better to stay away from this company. Don't get into their trap.

Best Phone Call With AAMI Insurance - Made Me Laugh abit

So I was rear ended by an uninsured car and started a claim with AAMI as my policy covers that sort of accident especially when i am not at fault.

Long story short, i got a call from AAMI saying they would like to take my car in for repairs and the moment i said " thank you, he has been pretty unco-operative'' she told me hold the phone and then said we cant send the car for repairs literally in the same phone call where they called me to choose a repairer hahaha they're dodgy but funny so it balances out

Insurance TypeThird Party, Fire and Theft
Claim DateOctober 2017
Claim ApprovedNo

Like many others, customer relations is deplorable.

This review deserves explaining as much as it should be read by anyone who chooses ever liaise with this iniquitous company.
August 2018 - AAMI alleges I am at fault in an accident. (Straight forward, low impact collision from the rear I am accused of). I explain that I did not collide with the other vehicle and further upon my word, I have witness statements, dash camera footage and photographs (8 Megapixel high def, non-grainy and sharp as a tack) of my vehicle literally 2 minutes after it was alleged I collided showing not only was there not a scratch to my vehicle, number plate not deformed, all front lights still perfectly intact and showing that my front panels, bonnet etc are all within alignment.
To of which I made a request to AAMI they are to put in writing a request should they require my evidence.

Fairly straight forward wouldn't you say?

Nope, not for AAMI, it's now what; in the midst of March 2019 and whilst I have evidently proven to them they have breached at least 20 terms with the General Insurance Code of Practice to whom they claim to be a signatory to they, that is AAMI "refused" to take my evidence.
Some of these breaches are so downright obvious it's no different than (you or I as) a person pointing to the sky and telling AAMI it is the sky only for them to contest and conclude that it is purely a case that it is a case you "feel" it is the sky, not evident and to add insult to injury they refuse to demonstrate that it isn't even the sky.

Yes, it is that bewilderingly daft and I sincerely mean that with the least of offence.

Then came AAMI all muscles with their Final Demand. Sir, you MUST pay in 2 days. I mean seriously, stuff a chook who the heck do they think they are. I question AAMI, when you transfer funds to your customers, how long do you advise them it will take? Their response; 3 - 5 business days. So I turn around and put to them, well don't you think you are being for the least part a bit silly demanding that I do something that you are unable to offer your customers and that your demand is unreasonable and unfair? Their response, we aren't privy with the transfer times with your bank. Downright classic as my bank account at the time was with Suncorp and well, needless to say, AAMI is well versed with Suncorp.

Going on with the sky comment in the paragraph or so above. Things like the General Insurance Code of Practice S10.10. Now I picked that one out of the bunch because it is so simple that my 2-year-old could grasp it and that is no word of exaggeration. It's simple right, if you cannot finish the complaint in 45 days you email, text message, post a letter to the person informing them of the details for AFCA. Can AAMI do that in my case? Nope.

Nonetheless, my claim is still on-going and I have no idea what's happening, who is handling my complaint or when my complaint was in their receipt. 10th Feb 19, Sir you have no made a complaint.
25th Feb 19, Sir you only made a complaint 7 days ago. 12th March, As it has been more than 45 days since you first expressed your dissatisfaction with AAMI about the liability decision on this claim, my office is obligated to provide you details of the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA), should you wish to bypass my office’s review service and appeal the matter directly with AFCA. AFCA’s details are as follows.

Now have a read of S10.10 of the General Insurance Code of Practice.

Oh and their (AAMI) closing?

Until my office is notified that you have lodged your complaint/appeal with AFCA, my office will continue with the review of your complaint as per AAMI’s complaints process.

Righteo, all while the General Insurance Code of Practice S7.22 states the following:

7.22 The standards of this section do not apply if you have commenced any proceedings in any court, tribunal or under any other dispute handling process (other than AFCA) in respect of your claim.

And well as for the General Insurance Code of Practice S7.21

We must comply with the timetables in this section, unless:

our conduct complied with an alternative timetable agreed with you; or
our conduct and the timetable were reasonable in all the circumstances; or
the cause of the non-compliance was a delay in the supply of a report from an External Expert, and we had engaged the External Expert in accordance with this section, and used our best endeavours to obtain the report in time.

Well, that isn't even worth a grain of salt to AAMI. Quite clearly and evidently considering it's now been over 6 months so far.

All in all, just avoid AAMI. Their just another blood sucking company that will use anything they can to get you stuck with them but be the first to give you the most un-true blue uppercut as soon as you are in.

Car ModelLand Rover Range Rover
Claim DateAugust 2018
Claim ApprovedNo

Worst car insurance. I would never recommended. biggest mistake in my life. unlucky club

I was accused of staging this accident without any evidence. All my friends and family members know how much I love my car and how I maintain and protect it. I can not even think of staging an accident with my beloved ssv as it was my joy and pride.. There are number of reasons they have mentioned for not to accept the claim. As an example the purchase value is not matching the insured value. I purchase the policy with a agreed value and they are accusing me of not having a market value as the agreed value. what would be the difference in agreed value policy and market value policy then? They offered the insurance with a agreed value and I have been paying a higher premium for that. However, when it comes to an accident they do not want to honor the agreement we have. It's been over 8 months and I do not have a car on the road but they are still deducting my monthly premium. Another reason mentioned as reasons for not accepting the claim was the car being not registered after the accident. The rego was expired after the accident and I completely forgot about the rego as I did not have the car with me. I have been driving in Australia for 10 years and haven't had any accidents with another vehicle. This is the first accident I have ever had and want to reject my claim. This is the most unprofessional and cheapest service I have ever dealt with. Do not recommend any AAI products(AAMI is under AAI) to any future customers. I was stupid not to read the reviews before I purchase the policy. I am heavily depend on my own transportation and not having a car for more than 8 months is affecting me financially and emotionally in big time. But AAMI do not even care about that.

The case is with the ombudsmen and hope I will get a fair outcome.

Claim DateJuly 2018

No Service

Our claim is still ongoing, they have had the quote for over two weeks, and we are told they will ring in the next day or so to resolve the claim. This never happens, they are dragging the chain to payout or fix our vechile.

Car ModelHonda Accord Euro
Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim ApprovedYes

Read your PDS Thoroughly!

My wife had AAMI before we got married and have continued with them. She's had them for over 10 years. As a couple, we made 2 claims. One in 2017 (stolen vehicle), and 1 in Feb 2019.

The 2017 claim was pretty straight forward. Day of theft, called AAMI, paid excess and they sorted out a hire car for us. In the PDS it states that it's only for 2 weeks, and that's it. If you want to get it extended, it's unfortunately out of pocket. You can schedule your hire start date, but that's it. The car had to get re-keyed and some repairs done. The issue with the repairer was with the repairer (I reviewed them accordingly). Aami wasn't at fault for the lack of communication from the repairer or the time it took, so I don't blame them.

Remember, Insurance companies are companies. Not friends. They're out to make money, not friends.

Our 2019 claim was a no-fault accident (someone failed to give way).
Again, I tried to get a hire car extended because of the North QLD floods, all repairers are busy as and if it had to go back to the same guys, it was going to take over a month. The first person I talked to didn't know about the no-fault clause in the PDS for unlimited hire car. I called again to request a different repairer closer to where the accident was and the rep. informed me of the no-fault car hire that is in the PDS.

So make sure you read your PDS!

Car ModelNissan X-Trail
Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim ApprovedYes

Don’t choose any insurance with AAMI

Unable to pay excess in instalments. They don’t care I am a single parent. No Centrelink or child care payments but want me to provide full intense information o f all my bank details and ins and out financially. How dare you. I have two policies with you. I am your client. It wasn’t even my fault and even that was mishandled yet you won’t let me pay in instalments? Def go to a different insurer. There are a million out there. Plus I can choose my own repairer. Your hopeless and def don’t look after your clients.

Claim MadeYes

They just looking for your money,no customer service at all.

Very expensive insurance never go back again... not satisfying.
Not easy to set up
Rude customer service
I do not recommend to anyone.
So go for something else interested this awful insurance you...

Claim MadeNo

Slow tries to avoid claim

My car was damaged by a person who was arrested by Vic Police, charged and convicted. AAMI wanted me to pay the excess. It took 3 months for them to agree to cover the excess.

Car ModelToyota LandCruiser 200
Claim ApprovedYes

Life time repair guarantee is piece of crap

I lodge insurance claim 11 Feb 2019 claim number M051337819 where car left hand side mirror suppose to be replaced
But it’s not been done properly have quality issue now they want me to go to Mercedes and pay from my pocket to get it fit properly it’s been over the month now
I will recommend never go with them

Car ModelMercedes-Benz GLE-Class
Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim ApprovedYes

Unlucky to be hit by a AAMI customer

Our car met an accident of an AAMI customer in 29th November. We where sent to capital smart repairs. After days of wait they bought all the necessary parts for the car. The car was ready after 3 days. We went to pick the car up to only find the car with bunch of scratches, sticky paint - paint wasn't dried yet, noisy boot struts, loose boot lining, foam coming off from the third tail light on the glass. Called up AAMI they arranged an inspection - coz they don't trust us. Assessor told us to go back - even tho I protested saying they scratch the car and don't fix the issue either. He convinced us and gave his assurance. We went back to capital smart repairs. They called us after 3 days, and said the car was ready. My wife picked up the car and she was pushed to do a quick inspection and under stress she couldn't inspect the car properly, only to find the trip has not been fixed properly, we had two big scratches on the side of the car, car was over-sprayed all over, was machine polished on some sides with large obvious swirls on it, random small scratches and a loose bumper. It was a nightmare. We were asked to go to another repairer. Evaluator refused to acknowledge that capital smart had caused the scratches, swirls and the loose bumper - tried to save some money for AAMI. After lots of explaining, with him showing a rude face to us, he agreed to fix the swirls - which I think are easy to fix, but didn't agree that the loose bumper ( which was part of the repair) was a fault. This is insane. We have wasted our time, money and lost our mental peace coz of AAMI. I feel like suing them for them for mental agony they have given me. I have panic attacks when I hear their name or call them to argue. Its march - its been 3 months and yet we don't have the issue fixed. And yes they have not acknowledged.

Plan covers drivers under 25No
Car ModelSkoda Superb NP (2015-Present)

Express Service

Recently had to have hail repairs done to my 2 year old Suzuki Swift.Took my car to Bella Vista assessing as arranged,repairs were booked for following week..As we live about 90km from repair centre ,they arranged a truck to pick up from my home and returned three days later,looking like new again! (also cleaned).
Cannot fault there service.

Car ModelSuzuki Swift
Claim ApprovedYes

I wouldn’t even give them one star

Our car was damaged in the December hail storm and we lodged a claim a couple of days after. We understood that there were many claims and demand was high. We waited patiently for dates for an assessment to be released and eventually got that email, booking the vehicle into a time slot for the Lisarow inspection Centre.

The date came and I called to confirm the appointment in the morning. When my husband, who is self employed, drove 1.5 hours to the place and arrived on time he was told that the assessor had gone home. That was at least 4+ hours of lost wages and work for nothing. He was told a smash repairs would be in contact within two weeks.

Two weeks went by and still no contact. We called AAMI back to see if we could take it to a smash repairs local to my husbands place of work and was told no. We had to take it to another place which was about 1 hour away.

My husband took it to the new place, again losing out on 4+ hours of work to be told we can’t do it as it needs a smash repairer.

AAMI then admitted that they should have sent us to another place, only 10 mins away and passed through the details. We booked the vehicle in for a 1/2 day inspection which we believed was conducted.

Yesterday I was told that the car is being sent to Port Stephens for the repairs as the local place couldn’t do the work due to being booked up. We were curious to know what the quote was as we have been advised from two other places and also the first two assessment centers that panels would likely need to be replaced.

I called AAMI today to obtain the quote from the half day inspection to be told that no inspection was done on the vehicle, no report or quote was sent through and that the vehicle was not touched. That they basically looked at it and said it couldn’t be done by them due to high demand.

I asked why they sent me there if they knew this to be the case? Couldn’t answer. Why it was left there for half a day to do nothing? Couldn’t answer. Why the vehicle has and still sports pink marking paint from the smash repairs if they didn’t touch it? Couldn’t answer.

They then told me that the vehicle was being sent up to Port Stephens to have a 4th attempt of a quote. I said so there is a possibility that it may go up there and be written off. He said no because the body shop had said it was repairable. Big call to make if they didn’t check it like AAMI said and if they have no idea what the cost of repair would be because they had no paperwork detailing repairs.

Basically, if you want a company that is more than happy to stuff you around, waste your time and money, can’t even master the fundamentals in communication, make excuses and have zero pride or ability in customer service skills, then AAMI is certainly for you. There is no way we are lucky to be with AAMI.

Car ModelMercedes
Claim ApprovedNo

No loyalty to their customers whatsoever.

Customer with AAMI for 10+ yrs, no at-fault claims. Premium went up $30/m to $83.00. Other companies were able to offer $59.00/m. AAMI refused to negotiate & blamed my neighbour's claims.

Claim MadeNo

Can't fault the service AAMI Insurance delivers.

Have been with AAMI insurance for 5 years and can say with confidence they are a great Insurance company. I live in Country Victoria and consequently had 3 accidents involving Kangaroos within 18 months and AAMI have been marvelous !!. They checked I was ok first and then went straight into organizing a tow truck, I picked the crash repair company and they got my vehicle fixed & back promptly. Recently my vehicle was written off and again AAMI was marvelous. Would thoroughly recommend AAMI Insurance.

Claim DateJanuary 2019
Claim ApprovedYes

Disgusting sharp / borderline illegal business practices.

Deliberately vague renewal notices and automated direct debit billing. Never had an insurance company take it upon themselves to renew a policy without my express permission in over 30 years.
Feel taken for granted after years of loyal custom - never again.
Very expensive also - saved over 40% for ceterus parabus (like for like) policy with another provider.

Plan covers drivers under 25No
Car ModelVolkswagen Golf Mk.7 (2013-2017)

Shocking! Stay away from all Suncorp Insurance Brands

Was unfortunate enough to have to claim with my insurer AAMI and can say that I would not recommend them to my worst enemy!

In November 2018 I was involved in a simple not at fault accident. A driver failed to give way which resulted in moderate damage to both vehicles. The other driver lodged a claim with their insurer Allianz and they agreed to cover all costs of repair to my car.

I had made a claim to my insurer AAMI and my car was towed to their repairer. I was aware that I did not have choice of repairer but assumed that my insurer would have a repair network capable of completing such a simple repair to a high standard. I was very very wrong in my assumption.

Their repairer has butchered my car that is not even 2 years old. Paint work was completed to a poor standard, non genuine screws and clips have been used which has meant my front bumper does not sit flush, there are bits of dust throughout the paint and the bumper protector under my car sits crocked as it was not installed properly. The paint has also started to bubble in places after less than three months. Some clips and screws used have started to rust.

I informed the repairer of my issues and they attempted to rectify them but did a poor touch up job. I then informed AAMI of my issues and they insisted they had an assessor attend my house or work. The assessor came and did not tell me what would happen going forward. I then get a call from the repairer almost 3 weeks later asking to have another look at the car as the assessor has instructed them to. The assessor ignored the fact I had already given them the opportunity to fix the issues.

When I rang to complain I was told the assessment would need to be redone. I waited at home for a full day only for their assessor not to show up. No one called me to let me know that he would not be coming as he was sick. This was a Friday. As a result of the poor communication of AAMI I decided it was time to lodge a complaint with the ombudsman as their shockingly incompetent assessment team was not helping me resolve the issue.

On the following Monday I received a call from an 'apologetic' assessor who stated he was very sorry for what had occurred and he would work with me to have the car assessed and repaired. We rearranged for the assessment to happen in 2 weeks time from the call.

On the same day someone from their ADR team called me and said they would be keeping track every step of the way to make sure my complaint was to be resolved. She also stated she would call me to see how the assessment goes.

Two weeks later the 'apologetic assessor' failed to show and of course the ADR team member failed to call me back. I am shocked that a company can have such incompetent departments from an assessment perspective. I called the assessment department and was told 'oh sorry he's on leave' and was promised a call back from someone who could resolve the issue. When I realised they weren't going to call back I called their ADR department and spoke with someone who wasn't my case manager (who by the way had not called me at all). The person who I spoke with had no clue how to resolve what had happened and was amusingly confused. He stated I should just wait until Monday.

I called the assessment department back after realising the ADR team member wasn't going to be able to help and spoke to someone who who seemed to be aware of how to work towards resolving an issue. Car has now been arranged to be assessed by another repairer and I don't need to wait at home for the non showing 'apologetic assessor'. This is something that should have happened from the start given how unreliable their assessment team is but I guess AAMI (or the Suncorp Group as a whole) enjoy wasting everyone's time. I still believe there will be more twists to this story.

Another thing that is of extreme annoyance is the complete pointlessness of the new Manila call center. The poor employees in that call center have no access to information and always have to call someone in Australia to answer simple questions. This means a simple 10 minute phone call always takes more than 50 minutes.

Given the total incompetence of their partner repair network as well as their assessment team I will recommend to anyone who reads this review to stay well away from any insurance company under the Suncorp Brand. Not worth the time. My family and I have always been insured through the Suncorp brand (AAMI GIO) but will be moving over come renewal time. They will be losing over 7 policies over a claim they are able to recover damages for from the other parties insurer.

Claim DateNovember 2018
Claim ApprovedYes

Be adamant with what you expect

Have been insured with AAMI for about five years and this was my first claim. The process of making my claim on line was straight forward, but when it came to speaking to someone, even though they were polite, words like access were made instead of excess and that is how the conversation went. I was also given other incorrect information, like I had to get a code from each repairer and forward it to AAMI. The assessment from each of the designated repairers differed greatly and so I emailed AAMI stating which repairer I wanted to repair my car. Fortunately I was listened to and was sent to the repairer of my choice (Freeway Smash Repairs) and couldn’t have been more pleased with the work that they carried out. Thank you AAMI for listening to me

High Price CTP

I have no qualms about paying more for a good product with reliable customer service, I do so (not with AAMI) for my comprehensive insurance on all 3 cards I own. However, asking for nearly double that of QBE for CTP is ridiculous. Why is it so outrageously expensive?? It's CTP for crying out loud. I have, obviously, not renewed the CTP that the previous owner had on the car. I felt so outraged by the amount that I felt it necessary to voice my outrage with this review.