Car Insurance Buying Guide

Our buying guide will explain which type of car insurance would suit you most, how much you can expect to pay for one, and which features are worth looking out for.

2.0

1,211 reviews
  • Timeliness
  • Job Satisfaction
Eugene

EugeneGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Conaiving & patronizing staff & management

They lied to me about extra loading for monthly payment ,they protend to be nice but they evil company ,I would definitely would not recommend them to my anemies horrible people don't trust they happy commercial

Car ModelMercedes-Benz A-Class
Cory M.

Cory M.Canberra 2600, ACT

Near enough is good enough attitude

Claim DateJanuary 2020
Claim ApprovedYes

Don't waste your money on AAMI

Insurance TypeThird Party Property Damage

Brigitte

BrigitteSydney Surrounds, NSW

Slack

You took my money and did not even have the decency to send me details of my insurance number etc (anything) from you.

Ghazi

GhaziSydney, NSW

Avoid at all cost. Please read before you consider dealing with aami.

Claim DateMay 2020
Claim ApprovedNo
Car ModelLand Rover Discovery Sport HSE Luxury SD4 (2.0L Diesel)
The Truth

The TruthIllawarra, NSW

You don't need to know apparently

Been with AAMI for about 5 years over 2 cars.
Email received 11/06 telling me my policy is cancelled from 10/06. I ring up to find out what is going on and they originally hint I didn't have the funds. I use a credit card to pay each month because I know there is plenty on it. No previous issues with the same card before. So after calling them on that they tell me my bank wasn't allowing them to deduct from the card, so banks fault. I get policy reinstated and use that very same card with no issue at all..... please. I receive 1 email, 0 texts, 0 phone calls and they cancel the policy and only let me know that the day after they cancel it. Could never recommend now and will change provider when CTP due in a few weeks.

Car ModelToyota Kluger GSU50R Grande AWD
Danikaanne95

Danikaanne95Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Aami is slack, 0/10 would recommend!

Insurance TypeCompulsory Third Party
Claim DateMay 2019
Car ModelMazda 3 BK
dave

daveGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Unlucky I'm with AAMI

I had a minor crash in the front, I was told to take it to Capital SMART. They had it for 48 hours. I picked my car up and went home. When I got home I realised my windscreen was cracked. I took it back and they said they dropped the bonnet on it. I noticed the whole front end was out of alignment so I took it to my panel beaters and they told me Capital SMART had glued the radiator support panel back on instead of welding it. The whole front end is a disgusting mess. Unlucky I'm with AAMI.

Claim DateMay 2020
Claim ApprovedNo
Car Model08 G6E FORD

Micky22Melbourne

Disappointing resolution of their error.

Car ModelToyota C-HR 2WD Koba 1.8L Hybrid
Micky22

Update: went with Budgetdirect which saved me almost $500.
Went through fine print on both contracts and the cover is very similar and completely adequate. Now looking at shifting home and contents insurance from AAMI to Budgetdirect.

Jan

JanGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Rip off

Ive been with AAMI for well over 10 years. I have 2 policies with them one of them has gone up to $4600 and the car value is down to $15000 my other policy is much the same . Went to another company and its only $1212 for the exact same policy and with a much higher value for the car shop around before you take a policy with aami i feel ripped off by aami . At aami your a number not a customer

Car ModelAudi A5
Rach

RachMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

No value in loyalty.

After 17 years of my wife having full comprehensive insurance with AAMI and never making a claim she decided to downgrade her insurance product with them because they cut her cars value in half but still charged the same premium. A few months later after we purchased a newer car and tried to insure it she found out she's lost her rating because she downgraded which was never explained when she did it. No loyalty to loyal customers!!!

Insurance TypeThird Party, Fire and Theft
Claim MadeNo

when you are with AAMI, you will know how unlucky you are.

The worst company ever!!!!
They don't even deserve one star .
They are good until they are taking your money .
I would not recommend this even to my worst enemy.
be cautious!!!

Swan.

Swan.Perth, WA

Loyalty and safe driving rewarded with higher rates

Extremely frustrated with AAMI. We've been with them for over ten years now. Never made a claim, not once, ever. We have two cars, home and contents.

My loyalty and safe driving is only rewarded with higher rates each year.

My car goes down in value, but my premium goes up. Every year. How can that be?

Do these idiots live under a rock or something? Do they realise that wages aren't going up at their rates? Do they realise there is a pandemic, and many millions lost their jobs? Yet, AAMI continue to treat their most loyal customers like ATMs.

So I shopped around and just found another company offering same insurance, 25% cheaper. That's a lot of savings.

Bye AAMI, you didn't even bother to reply to my email. You won't be missed.

Claim MadeNo

What a relief . Thanks Aami and Ann Whittaker.

My family was impacted by covid 19 disaster as lost jobs were stressful.
Thanks to Aami for 3 month waiver help plus Woolworths voucher was extremely helpful.
Special thanks to Ann Whittaker for kind support and sympathy over the phone .
Given review even on Mozzo too as they deserved.

Car ModelSuzuki Alto MF

You are not allowed to give less than one star

We are not customers of this company but we were in an Accident with a person who is.

That person has admitted fault numerous times but her husband is being difficult (he wasn’t there) and AAMI insurance have been terrible at communicating, helping, sorting, and fixing this issue.

We have a severely damaged car, are not at fault, are dealing with an abusive person who is at fault, and a ‘below-par’ insurance company that are not helpful, are unprofessional, and whose workers don’t know their policies, or even the law.

What a terribly stressful, inconvenient and disheartening experience this is becoming.

Claim MadeYes
Claimant is the policy holder No

Allen L.

Allen L.

Very good customer service and swifty repair

Car hit by someone's car so needed to make claim. Claim online application was easy and fast. Customer Service rep followed up very promptly. Repair was swifty and done in one day while new bumper, reverse senor and side panel required. Uber for free to and from repair center. Repair center staff were nice and professional. Been through different insurers but AAMI has given best experience.

Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Car ModelSubaru Liberty 6GEN 2.5i Premium
Rubyluby

RubylubyMelbourne

Unbelievable generosity

I have been recently impacted by Covid-19 and contacted AAMI to see if I could possibly catch up my payments. They waived my car insurance for 3 months and sent me a $100 Woolworths voucher. I almost cried. I cannot believe that they could be so kind and empathetic and go over and above. The customer service rep was just lovely. I cannot fault them.

Car ModelKia Rio
Spirit Warrior

Spirit WarriorPerth, WA

Incredibly helpful in a time of stress

My husband and I both have AAMI comprehensive car insurance. They have been the most cost effective insurer the past few years running. Recently, we have been impacted by COVID-19. After attempting to juggle finances we got in touch with AAMI. They waived our premiums for 3 months each and also gifted us with a voucher. We were so appreciative of the first class customer service. They honestly went above and beyond in a time of personal crisis for us. Neither of us have needed to make a claim on our insurance up until now, so we genuinely hope that they would offer the same level of customer service if we ever needed to.

Car ModelToyota Yaris
T.T

T.T

No good

Worst ever don't recommend them I don't want to deal with them again lucky your not with aami booooooo thumbs down won't even want to give them a 1 star.

FM

FM

Road side assistance fail

Have used AAMI for over 10 years for insurance. my car has broken down and the mechanic i have used for over 10 years is 21km away. AAMI has a limit of 20km, they refused to tow it the extra km and now i need to pay for a tow truck.