How to compare car insurance to find the best policy for you

Read now

• 1-2 weeks (3)
    • 2-4 weeks (6)
    • 1-2 months (2)
    • 3+ months (6)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (14) · No (5)
DougK

DougKSydney Surrounds, NSW

Ute with low yearly mileage

Easy to use website. Excellent value. Could not find anyone else who would do pay as you drive for this vehicle.
Did not use the comparison websites as I prefer to do my own research.

Elle B.

Elle B.South East Queensland, QLD

Terrible

Wonderful Customer Service

Called today review my Pay As You Drive Policy following a quote I did online with my updated info. The customer rep was absolutely wonderful and a pleasure to speak with. Super helpful changing over the policy. 10/10 recommend.

Mary

MaryGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Spoke to a real person

Daniela was very helpful with my complex questions. She was very thorough and very patient. It was a pleasant surprise when I was able to speak to a real person and nice to be rewarded with a discount for having multiple policies

Beverley JonesHunter Region, NSW

Not happy

I already had a policy which was due to run out on the 17th April, so I went on & did a few comparisons & decided to stay with real insurance so I took out another policy & paid in full, but unfortunately real insurance took out another full payment of the original policy meaning I paid twice, I contacted real insurance & the man I spoke to was very helpful & cancelled the policy & told me I would get a refund for the amount however I am very disappointed that it will take up to 10 days to get my refund, that is what my problem is with this day & age surely you are able to refund quicker than 10days.

LOUISE BROWNGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Disgusted with Real Insurance

I have found Real Insurance to be the worst company I have ever had the displeasure dealing with. I have now referred my issue to the afca for their review.

Dean

Dean

Excellent service and extremely helpful staff

I have insured my vehicles with real for years and I have had nothing but excellent quality service from them.
Any time I needed to make a claim ( Windscreen)
The team has always fitted the repairs in to suit my schedule....
I have nothing but praise for the real insurance company.

Kianoosh Samanipour

Kianoosh SamanipourGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Good value

Real insurance is very good, I will offer it to my friends, good customer service and it really worth to use this car insurance. I thank all the staff in real insurance.

Hi Kianoosh,
Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us, we really appreciate it. I am pleased to hear of the great service that you have received from our team and that we can provide you with suitable cover.

George Sydney, NSW

Excellent Service

Very happy and satisfied with service provided by Rebecca, the operator I spoke with. She was professional, helpful and patient. Made the whole experience of setting up my comprehensive insurance so much easier and enjoyable.
My policy is great value.
Two thumbs up.

George

Thank you very much, Alisa.

Ian C.

Ian C.Victoria

easy process, same endless questions as competitors

fair value, hope i do not need to use the claims process! My first policy with Real, sad you need so shop annually to avoid the lazy tax.and so on.

Hi Ian,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I am pleased to hear of the ease in which you were able to set up your policy and that we can provide you with cover that is suitable to your needs.

Karen Watts

Karen WattsMid West, WA

Great pay as you drive insurance

The pay as you drive policy provided an excellent option for insurance for my vehicle which is often not used. As a result of having low kilometres annually I was able to select an option that suited my situation.

Insurance TypeComprehensive

Hi Karen,
It is a pleasure to hear that we can provide you with cover that is suitable to your individual situation. Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us, we really appreciate it.

andrewjrefalo

andrewjrefaloSydney, NSW

New policy

Great easy stress free application great price and options to suit.
Able to adjust policy accordingly in order to obtain the right price for the adiquet cover for ny needs. Perfect

Adam

Multiple policy holders and NOT valued, look elsewhere!

A massive waste of time..... a "new" quote online was cheaper than attempting to add a 3rd policy on the phone even after having a policy already (yes... I already have 2 car policies and home and contents insurance with real)... This just feels like Real is more committed to new business then looking after existing customers....... I will be definitely looking elsewhere now

Insurance TypeThird Party, Fire and Theft
Adam

I tried it through the representative, only to be told after he had to start again if I wanted a better deal...... it had taken up far to much time already. I have responded to you private message

Saurabh K.Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

SHOCKING CUSTOMER SERVICE. Stay away if you jus had an accident.

Had an accident this morning where someone tried to cut me off. First call, the lady said she wrote everything down and gave me a ref number then told me to call a towing company in sydney(i live in melbourne). second one said nothng was recorded and redid everythn n said she will send tow truck.third agent said they have sent details to tow truck. After waiting 3 hrs for tow truck, fourth agent said tow can only come later. Missed work, missed my wifes doctor appointment, basicaly day wasted. No way to treat someone who jus had an accident. Appaling and i am changing my insurance.

Saurabh K.

The icing on the cake was a fifth agent called me to tell me that they cannot call the tow truck. I need to call them myself. I honestly cannot believe your service!!!

Hi Saurabh,
I am sorry for any inconvenience caused. I have raised your concerns with our team to look into further.

Jessica o

Jessica oSydney Surrounds, NSW

Good Value for money been I have been with real insurance for over 3 years easy to set up with help from James the customer service agent from real insurance

David.M.

David.M.Sydney, NSW

Great price, good customer service!

We have a few cars insured with Real and we have never had any issues. We choose the Pay as You Drive option and this makes the price very reasonable compared to other bigger named companies. And when you call Real you don't wait long on the phone before you get to speak with e real person.

Kristy A.

Kristy A.Far North Queensland, QLD

Great value for money

Been with them for about 3 and half years great value for money and cheaper than online else and I also have roadside assistance. Now I have just insured my nissan patrol with them and I am very happy with the price.

John R

John RSydney, NSW

Affordable, flexible and easy

Best value comprehensive car policy on the market, flexible (pay for kms used),and easy - did most of it online. Biggest gripe is the loyalty tax. Get around this by not renewing your policy and starting a new policy

Grant

GrantSydney Surrounds, NSW

Happy Real Insurance Customers 10+ years

We have recently replaced our cars with new Kia's and opted for Pay As You Drive to reduce the premium. Our experince of Real Insurance with Sales, Support and Claims has always been positive and supportive.
Competitive product, Stipulated Agreed Value, Great staff... A class act all round !

Review collected in partnership with Real Insurance

Long time customer but Real not able to match competitor's premium

Despite having House and Contents plus another car insured with Real Insurance for many years, they would not match competitor's premium ($572 vs $517). Will definitely be shopping around when the other policies are due for renewal.

TGM

TGMasked

Real Car Insurance

What's the difference? How is it that Real Insurance has such a poor customer rating while Seniors Insurance, also a Hollard brand, has such a high one?

Fired Up
Fired Up

Different companies, different customers, different experiences

Den
Den

Well, if you think that a senior citizen would come ONLINE to post a positive review after buying a policy over the PHONE, think again.
And that's not the only company on here with such a marketing practice. E.g. reviews of some other company mention fist names of company reps spoken to on the phone much more frequently than reviews of any other company. Why do you think is that? And why do the names almost never repeat?

BEREAL

BEREALasked

Real Car Insurance

Have real home insurance . it has taken over seven weeks to get to the stage of signing the scope of works....
your staff need training in how to send e-mails , and how to attach links to text messages . please resend the documents you claim never arrived , and I will return , signed , by next REGISTERED POST .

Bent O.
Bent O.

I would suggest you contact them directly if you seriously want direct action

Mel C.

Mel C.asked

Real Car Insurance

I received a quote to renew my insurance and it has gone up as it always does even if you never make a claim. This is just 3rd party, fire & theft for a 1999 car that is lucky to be worth $2000 and they insure it for up to $10,000. They said it would be cheaper if you pay annually instead of by the month to which i asked for the quote and they took around $9 off the premium...really? I had some other quotes which were cheaper and I asked could they do anything else to keep me as a customer and they said no.

I was just wondering why you expect your current customers to pay more for the same thing than a new customer?

Jayjay
Jayjay

Hi Mel
You're absolutely right to ask questions. I wrote off a car in August and I was paying my comprehensive car insurance by the month. The insurance renewal was in June and Real Insurance deducted the next 10 months worth of premium (just over $1000). In other words, they charged me 10 months worth of insurance on a car that no longer exists. Look elsewhere for insurance and check the PDS very carefully to make sure that in the event you have to make a claim that they don't punish you! Don't think twice about this mob - move on!

Get an answer from our members and Real Insurance representatives

Compare all 3 Real Car Insurance
CategoryRoadside Assistance Providers and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance Providers and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance Providers and Car Insurance
Other Insurance Types Offered Funeral, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Pet and TravelFuneral, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Pet and TravelFuneral, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Pet and Travel
Coverage TypeComprehensiveThird Party, Fire and TheftThird Party Property Damage
UnderwriterHollardHollardHollard
Legal Liability Cover Included up to $20 millionIncluded up to $20 millionIncluded up to $20 million
Roadside Assistance Optional ExtraOptional ExtraOptional Extra
Reduced or Zero Excess Windscreen CoverZero Excess Optional ExtraZero Excess Optional ExtraNot Offered
Choice of RepairerAllowedNot AllowedNot Applicable
After Accident Care
Hire Car after an Incident

Optional, up to $70 daily, until the the maximum hire period shown on your Certificate of Insurance. If the claim is accepted for damage to, or the theft of, your car. Hire Car cover commences on the latter of:

• the date of the accident if your car is not driveable;
  • the date your car is taken to the repairer in the case of an accident where your car is still driveable; or
  • if your car is stolen, the date any cover you are entitled to under the included benefit 'Hire car after theft' ceases

• the date of the accident if your car is not driveable;

Not Included

Emergency Transport & AccommodationIncluded, up to $500Included up to $500Not Included
Towing Costs IncludedIncludedNot Included
Hire Car after a No Fault Accident

Not Included

Essential / Emergency RepairsIncluded, up to $500Included, up to $500Not Included
Benefits
Pay As You Drive / Fixed Kilometre DiscountOptionalOptionalNot Applicable
Hire Car after Theft

Included, up to $70 per day up to 14 days. Cover will cease the earlier of when the car is recovered (and repaired if necessary), the maximum hire period is reached or when we pay your claim.

Not Included

Lock and Key ReplacementIncluded, up to $1,000Included, up to $1,000Not Included
Transit Cover IncludedIncluded
Trailer & Caravan CoverIncluded, up to $1,000Included up to $1,000Not Included
Child Safety Seats and PramsIncluded, up to $500Included up to, $500Not Included
New-for-old Car Replacement

If the claim is accepted for theft of or damage to your car and declared to be a total loss withing the first 24 months of the starting date of its original registration:

• replace your car with a new car that we consider to be of the same or similar make, model, or series (subject to local availability); and
  • include the same or similar additional accessories shown on your Certificate of Insurance; and
  • pay the applicable on the road costs (transfer fees, stamp duty, dealer delivery costs, registration and Compulsory Third Party insurance) of the new car.

Not Included

Personal Property CoverIncluded, up to $500. Excluding mobile devices, cash, credit cards or cheques, negotiable documents connected with business use, property being carried in or on a trailer or caravanIncluded, up to $500. Excluding mobile devices, cash, credit cards or cheques, negotiable documents connected with business use, property being carried in or on a trailer or caravanNot Included
Uninsured Motorist Benefit Not IncludedIncluded, up to $3,000Included, up to $3,000
Accidental Loss or Damage