Paying by the Month? Insurance Buyer Beware

I have been insured with Real insurance for several years. Unfortunately, my car was written off last month. I have received the news that because I pay the insurance premium by the month, I have had $1035.52 deducted from the final payout figure as the insurance premium is required to be paid for the annual amount. How can this be right - to pay for a premium on a car that no longer exists??? The reason I was paying by the month was because I couldn't afford to pay the annual premium in one payment. I feel that this is very unfair as my insurance was fully paid at the time of the accident. I have always insured my car with comprehensive insurance (doing the right thing) but just can't understand why I have to pay a premium on a vehicle that no longer exists. Grossly unfair and just not right!

Plan covers drivers under 25Yes
Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Jayjay, Please private message your claim number and I will get a claims consultant to contact you to explain the process. - Angela

Great Company

The policy I got was of good value, even changing policies was no hassle.
When lodging my claim it only took a couple of days before I received an email telling me that my claim was approved and that the excess has been waived.
I have been with Real Insurance for at least 5 or more years now and when I relocated to the country my pay by the month policy went down by half.
Didn't require roadside assistance.

Car ModelHolden Commodore VZ
Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Claim ApprovedYes
Good Morning Greg. Thank you for your positive review. We look forward to providing you with great service for many years to come. - Angela

They're underwritten by Hollard- a bunch of clowns

Was rear ended in May. Called to make sure I did everything correctly, they said that they could contact the other insurance company on my behalf. Made a claim and was asked to get a quote. Was given place 38km away to get quote from (because basically every time I ask for address to be updated they don't do it!)

Finally got a closer smash repairs. They took two weeks and a phonecall to submit photos. Hollard (underwriting Real) told us that our car would be repaired and all was well, they'd pursue the other company behind the scenes. A day later we were told that no! Our car was written off and a total loss. Consolation, we may keep our car, plus payout (less salvage cost). 4 days later, we probably can't keep our car... Caller was power trippy and condescending, refused to transfer call to supervisor and lied about there being no complaints department.

Told we would have to call other insurers ourselves. Did this and was assured we could keep our car plus payout. Will likely be considering that company next time! Never have Real/Hollard again!

Claim MadeYes
Claimant is the policy holder No
Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Claim DateMay 2019
Still no confirmation from Hollard/Real that our claim has been withdrawn. Have been on hold for 25min chasing it up but have to go to work (and several meetings).Hi Winter, I have been advised that our claims department has already been in contact with you last week and an outcome has been resolved. - Angela

Great customer service

I have been with Real Insurance for a number of years for motor vehicle, home and contents and funeral insurance. I have unfortunately had to make a couple of claims over the years and I have received exceptional customer service at all times

Car ModelHyundai i20
Claim MadeNo
Hi there, thank you for your great feedback and glad to hear we have provided you with great service during your claims experiences with us! - Angela

Its so good not to worry if things are not covered safely

I have had only good things to say regarding the response that I have received from them on all of my several policies that I have had with them with the only hiccup being that I forgot to advise my change of postal address. definitely their fault for not guessing...….

Plan covers drivers under 25Yes
Claim MadeNo
Hi Greg, Thank you for your review. Happy to hear we are providing great service across all our policies. - Angela

Very helpful throughout claim

Went with Real because they were cheap, in spite of some negative comments. However, now that I've had to go through a claim (my first in 15 years), I'll be staying with them for future policies. They were incredibly helpful the whole time, extending the hire car as required when repairs went overtime and towing the car back to my house after being repaired because of how far away it was. The only two concerns I have are that sometimes the wait time to speak to a claims operator can be well over an hour. And they also do not make claiming against Council easy (in the end, I'm the one chasing council and other parties to try and get them to admit fault and cover the excess - ongoing). I'm sure if it was a simple car accident then this would be easier.

Car ModelAlfa Romeo 147
Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateJune 2019
Claim ApprovedYes
Good Morning, we are glad to hear you have a great claims experience with us, though we are sorry to know that a few issues weren't easy for you. I hope it was all resolved. -AngelaHi Angela I had to contact Real for additional information about the claim to try and claim from the third party. Unexpectedly, the Real rep offered to refund my excess and manage the claim against the third party for me. So it definitely was resolved in a positive way for me! Would have been better if it were easier and less stressful to get to this point but the important thing is I’m not out of pocket for a situation that was not my fault in the first place. Thanks!Good Morning. I am sorry for the stress that was caused throughout the claim but happy to hear all was resolved and you are not out of pocket. Thank you -Angela

Clos to perfection

I'm in the secund year whit you.. Thanks for your service hope to be a good driver like the last 29 years whit no claims..I did not have any claims whit your company

Insurance TypeComprehensive and Third Party, Fire and Theft
Claim MadeNo
Hi Stoica, Thank you for your positive feedback and we hope to insure your vehicle for many more years to come. - Angela

Very flexible plans to suit my usage and great cx service.

I've compared many insurance service providers, but RI was the most affordable insurance by a distance to it's competition!! flexible plans to suite my usage and great customer service, it's just common sense to go with RI!

Car ModelHonda Civic 10th Gen
Claim MadeNo
Hi Rezmata, Thank you for your positive comment. We are pleased to hear that we have provided you with great service and also an insurance product that suits your needs. -Angela

claim was resolved

Very disappointing and frustrating experience. Waited for 6 weeks to get paid but turn out that we couldn’t agree with the amount because they refused to paid all the receipt provided. Now, we were told to escalate it to the dispute and maximum time is 45 days. Seriously? How long should we wait more? We have lost a lot of money from this accident and it’s not my husband’s fault. What insurance is for then? I thought to get us covered.( these are my previous review)

After a week

Our claim was resolved after 1 week in internal dispute. Got paid with all our receipts. Total waiting time is 7 weeks.

Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Grace, I'm sorry to hear you are having a difficult claims experience. If you are happy to, can you please send us a private message with your claims details and I can try push this quicker for you? -AngelaHi Angela, We are not happy at all.. I sent you the claim details and the complaint I’d as well. Please do as you say to make it quicker. 6 weeks is very long already, and another 45 days is not funny.Due to complaint, it will take time to review everything before an outcome can be reached. There is no way to make this happen any quicker, however if it is reviewed any earlier the IDR team will be in contact. Really Angela? Is this the reply that we get?

Frustrating claims experience - Delay after delay after delay

Waiting over 2 months now to have my claim finalised and settled... with only delay after delay after delay trying to get this resolved:
- impossible to make a booking at the first hail inspection centre they referred me to
- had to wait 3 weeks for an available time at the second place
- heard nothing back after this for 3 weeks until I chased them to find out what was happening, only to be advised they hadn't received a report from the hail assessment place
- Contact them 2 weeks later to be informed they have received the report, and now I have to wait another week for an assessor to review this
- a week later I receive a message to say it has been deemed a total loss, and they would be in touch
- another week later I am still waiting for my car to be picked up, so they can pay my claim

It's been a totally frustrating experience. Whilst it may not be the case, everything just feels like a it's tactic to delay having to settle your claim. Virtually no contact from Claims unless this is initiated by me. When I complained about this and the whole experience I am just told there is nothing they can do about it.

Compared this with the experience my husband had after his car was damaged in the same storm (he is with another insurer), within a week and a half he was able to have his car inspected, his claim assessed and settlement paid to him.

Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Tate, We are sorry to hear you are having difficulties with your claim. I would like to get this resolved for you. Can you please send us a private message with your claims details so we can look into this further? - AngelaHi Angela, My car has now been collected, and I am just waiting on my settlement being paid out, which I was advised was being done on Friday, although I haven't heard anything further. I have sent you my claims details. It would be good if someone could contact me to advise when I will actually receive this and details of what the settlement amount will be.

Pay as you drive insurance is what you want

Why pay comprehensive insurance when you only drive 5000 kms annually? Pay as you drive will save you lot. Having been with Real Insurance for the last 10 years, I am very happy with their service

Claim MadeNo
Hello, thank you for your positive feedback. We are glad to hear you are happy with our product and services! - Angela

Rewarding experience

Professional and courteous service. Dealt with the facts we discussed down

to the nitty gritty of my personal requirements for my vehicle. Very impressed with what the product has to offer me and my wife. Was made to feel special.

Car ModelHonda crv
Claim MadeNo
Great news Rolf! We are delighted to receive positive feedback and very happy that we could offer you such outstanding service. - Angela

Easy and professional service every time

I’ve been with real insurance for over 10yrs now with both car and home insurance. Lodging a claim was quick and easy. They worked through the whole process with me from start to finish.

Claim MadeNo
Hi Phil, Thank you for your positive feedback. We are glad to hear you have been with us for over 10 years and hope to provide the great ongoing customer service for many more years to come! -Angela

12 years of excellent service!!

We have held a number of Real Insurance policies over 12 years. Nothing is a bother. All telephone staff are always friends, helpful and accommodating.
I would highly recommend Real Insurance.

Car ModelPeugeot 2004 206 Cabriolet
Claim MadeNo
Hi Janine, Thank you- that's great news! We are delighted to receive positive feedback and very happy that we have provided great customer service to you over the past 12 years and we hope for many more to come! -Angela

Terrible communication

Been waiting nearly a month now for my Total loss claim. Very poor communication and have to wait 1-2 hours on the phone to only be told that i will have to wait longer for the team to assess the claim after I have sent all the documentation. No one has called me and have dad to follow up with every step.

Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Rohan, I'm sorry to hear that you have not been contacted regarding your claim. Can you please send us a private message with your claim number and I will get a Claims Manager to get in contact with you shortly? -Angela

Absolutely crap car insurance company

Most unorganised and pathetic car insurance company in Australia ....You think they'll look after you and your car when you make a claim for an accident but they don't. They tell you something else and do something else. And they don’t call you at all, you have to call and wait an hour to speak to someone if they don’t hang up on you.

I wouldn’t recommend anyone to go with them. Pay more and find someone better.

Car ModelChrysler 300C Luxury
Claim DateApril 2019
Hi Shaim, We are sorry to hear that you have had a bad claims experience with us. If you would like us to look into this further for you, please private message us with your claim number and contact details and we will get a Claims Manager to give you a call. Thank you AngelaHi Angela, after spending 1 and a half hours on the phone today and waiting for someone to answer, demanding to speak to a manager we were told we would receive a call back from your total loss area which did not occur. The team leader in your claims area didn't even bother to get on the phone but contacted Peta the team leader of total loss and had your claims rep pass the message. At this time we are waiting on Peta to call us back after reviewing our case. If messaging you will result in faster resolution then we can supply the information. Every communication made has been initiated by us, every update given or found out has been a result of us contacting. Even down to contacting your towers and Manheim where Real sent our car. The fastest response we have been given is the response to this feedback. We are totally shocked by the lack of concern and customer service we have experienced. As a result 4 of our family members have this week canceled their policies with Real. There is nothing Real about the service we have encountered.Hi Shaim, please send us a private message with all your details. I will pass this on to the Team Leader of Total Loss and ensure you are contacted as soon as possible. - Angela

Spoke to someone in South Africa!

So I just got off the phone with 'Brian' which I didnt believe it was his real name. The call was the weirdest I'd ever made to any call centre. Whilst talking to 'Brian' the background noise was soooo LOUD! It was other people talking in the background so loud it was like they were on the phone call with us...then the people in the background were laughing so loud I could barely hear 'Brian' so I told 'Brian' I can barely hear him because of the background noise and he proceeds to tell me it's because they're very busy tonight on calls LOL of course I told 'Brian' they're not on calls and it sounds like a party inthe background which 'Brian' totally ignored my statement and gave me the quote of car insurance I was after. I then asked 'Brian' if they're based in Australia and he said 'no! We're in South Africa' then he asks me for my bank details which I didn't give as I began to become hesitant to do any business with this 'Brian' as I was worried it was a bogus company. If Real Insurance want to pull up my call it was made from Sydney Australia at 1759 today 14/05/19 and it was for a comp. car insurance quote for a Kia Grand Carnival 2009 Quote no. 241713390. It was the most unprofessional call centre I've ever had to deal with.

Claim MadeNo
‘Hi, Thank you for sharing this feedback with us. Yes we do have a team who supports our customers that are based in South Africa and help provide us with options such as greater availability to customers and additional people to support. Our primary goal through this is to ensure that customer experience is maintained as the priority. We will provide this feedback through coaching to the team and to the person who answered your call. Thank you Angela

Pathetic service!! No response on either email or call for more than 3 weeks!!

Its been more than 3 weeks after the assessor has told me your car is a total loss and some one from the claims team would contact you. I have written several email, called up multiple times but unfortunate to not have a single response. This is pathetic service!!!!

Car ModelToyota Corolla E150
Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim DateMarch 2019
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Morten, Thank you for reaching out to us, I am sorry to hear of the difficulties you are experiencing. I would like to escalate this for you, can you please private message me your policy number together with your best contact and I will arrange for a Claims Manager to contact you. Kind regards, TessHi Tess, Please confirm after you receive my pvt message and if you need more information Regards, Morten

Great value for peace of mind

This is my true experience with real insurance and I’ve not been solicited or paid to give this review.

I’ve been with real insurance for 4 years now and I’m very happy. Every year I get my insurance renewal letter I ring up and speak to a customer service staff to make sure and negotiate the best value and policy for my mums car. Always at the end of the call I’m happy and have peace of mind because the customer service staff empathises with me and ensures we get the best coverage and policy that suits our needs. Good to have road side assistance there was an incident where the car battery died it was good we got that service. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend real insurance. We’ve gotten very good value and service every year.

Car ModelHyundai i30
Claim MadeNo
Hi Ninadc, Thank you for your amazing feedback on your experience with our team. It is a pleasure to hear that we can provide you suitable cover and peace of mind for your mums car. We appreciate you leaving such a great recommendation. Kind regards, Tess

Everything I want.

At the time of taking up your quote it was better than most of your competition and set up time was minimal. Yes one not at fault claim resolved in one day. Approx 10 years, never asked for Roadside assist

Claim ApprovedNo