Alfa Romeo Giulietta

Alfa Romeo Giulietta

Series 2, Series 0 and Series 1

See the Best Hatchbacks in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Never will I buy another Alfa

Where to begin? I feel in love with the car as soon as I saw it and needed to have it. I knew that Alfa previously had a bad wrap but I assumed that after yrs of no Alfa that they would have smartened their act up, sadly I was wrong.... for the first year of owning it, it was pure bliss then the trouble started. It was recalled and had to have wiring fixed because of a fire hazard issue.... took the car back to the dealership in Brisbane to get the recall fixed, after 2 weeks of my car being there they called and advised that they didn’t have all the correct wiring and it will need to be booked back in. The wiring finally came in and it was replaced which took over a week, after the new wiring went in this is when faults stated appearing on the screen... this stated off with the car screaming at me and beeping because even though all passengers and driver had their seatbelts on the car system said they didn’t and beeped, later on it said doors weren’t closed properly which meant that the car wouldn’t lock with the fob but had to be done manually, I had engine warning lights come on etc etc basically the dash board was like a Christmas tree.... all the times these faults happened I took it back to Alfa, they would reset the computer to make the faults go away but they didn’t know how to fix the problem, I called around to local machenics like Midas etc including ones that specialise in European cars and no one knew how to fix it including Alfa Romeos workshop form where I bought it from. During this time there was a rattle in the dash that was never possible to find just a rattle that drives you crazy. The DNA system is a load of crap, just the car holding it revs longer and the fake heavy feel in the steering wheel but it’s not a very engaging feel, it didn’t feel right to me and I never used it unless I was on the highway as all scence of steering went away it feels quite fauge which isn’t comphforting. No one knows how to service the car properly I’m always having to take it back because either wrong oil goes in or there isn’t any info on what things to use so it take them a while to let you know what’s happening..... there isn’t enough info on the car for a machenic including the dealerships machenic.... it’s a beautiful looking car but it’s cheaply put together with plastic that breaks and no info.... I’m truely sad to say that I wouldn’t recommend this car or Alfa all together as my mother in law has the new suv and it’s already causing her problems and she has only had it form 4mths

BadgeProgression JTD-M
Date PurchasedNov 2014

Think before you buy

Driving is ok. Uses a lot of 95 unleaded petrol and being 4cyl is slow to take off even when switched to turbo (which guzzles up heaps of petrol too). Rattling noise coming from dash. Sun visor came loose ages ago. Door handles are plastic and snap off, they're coated with silver alum which flakes off and cuts (replaced 3/4 times).Too much plastic inside. Archaic cumbersome manual turning wheels to lower seat. Top of windshield above glass peels off all on its own (making car look old and shabby). Car collects leaves and when heater is turned on, they set on fire. Usb port in glovebox - so u have to leave that open, if u want to use it.

Date PurchasedFeb 2014

Don’t do it

Too many electronic, door furniture faults to mention, very expensive to repair and no one in Australia knows what to do with it when it does fail, so I suggest to stay away unless you like to fix cars for a living because nobody else will, good luck because you will need it.

Date PurchasedMar 2013

Wonderful all rounder

The car has been designed beautifully inside and out. With Dynamic mode switched on, the 1.75 engine responses well - turbo lag is non-existent, high power output at low rev and continue to climb all the way to 5,000 rpm. Handling is excellent however the electronic steering does not give much satisfaction around bendy roads - Natural mode is too fidgety and Dynamic is too heavy.
I owned the QV thus it is not the most comfortable car on bumpy roads - a bit stiff at times however extremely stable and flat going through corner at high speed.
Uconnect works fine, clear resolution and superb sound reproduction from the Bose system however a bit slow at times.
After two years and 45k, there are no mechanical issues with the car whatsoever however servicing can get quite tricky as normal mechanics do not have the appropriate scanning tool to diagnosed the car.

Alfa Lover

I am biased having owned 8 Alfa Romeos so far however I will try to be as objective as I can. Firstly the car is beautifully designed inside and out. There is a presence and aura you experience everytime you drive the car. And that feeling is just missing from other German or Japanese cars.

There is the heritage of the Alfa Romeo badge which is Italian exoticism no different to a Ferrari or Maserati. Its that which is what you are buying rather than anything else. And of course Enzo Ferrari used to work for Alfa Romeo when he was younger and then branched out with his own company. So you could say Alfa Romeo was the mother of Enzo Ferrari. In those days 30s-40s -50s or so Alfa Romeo was the supercar brand of its day. There was no Ferrari, Lambourghini or Porsche etc. There was just Alfa Romeo that made the most expensive and fastest supercars in the world.

The Giulietta is very good compared to older model Alfas. The handling is very competent but not the best handling Alfa Ive driven. The comfort levels are very high and defitnely the most comfortable "sports" car Ive ever driven. And the brakes are brilliant. Defintely the best brakes Ive used on the QV model. They are 4 piston brembos that pull the car up from high speed beautifully. They can also be feathered lightly on fast carners almost like your painting with a paintbrush they really have a incredibly beautiful feel to them.

0-100K time I think is 6.7 secs or so which is the fastest in its class. So you can blow away a Golf GTI no problem.

Now unfortunately the engine turbo lag is not the best in this car. I have come from an Alfa GTV V6 with beautiful V6 3.0L Engine and to get used to the 4 cylinder turbo takes a while to get used to. There is no smooth power delivery like a V6 but it all happens when you have a lot of revs built up. So takes a while to get used to the turbo lag.

Overall Im really quiet happy with the car. Mine has optional leather seats which are very hard to find in a second hand car. And it has the most beautiful interior. It is a real pleasure to be in the cabin everytime. And my friends really love the car also. Everywhere I go people look and admire the design of the car.

So if you love cars the Alfa maybe for you.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Perfect car!

Love this zippy gutsy little beast. Dynamic mode leaves the fastest for dead. So reliable and spacious enough. Only a few minor things: missing a grab handle on passenger side roof, and there's no clock on the radio/dash but other that it's the perfect little car while still being very punchy. Oh and torque is incredible.

BadgeProgression JTD-M
Date PurchasedApr 2017

My dream come true

I always wanted to own an Alfa Romeo and at the advice of many skeptical friends and specialised reviews I ended up in buying many other so called reliable brands. Nothing more further from truth and I wonder if my advisors ever owned one to clasify it so unfairly( unreliable, not made for Australia..as if the roads are different here). I don't think I ever enjoyed driving a car as much as my Giulietta. So responsive, dynamic and yet stiff and stable on the road. I love the way it takes off and leaves everyone behind at 50km/h only when I pinch thr pedal and how stable is when taking curves, I nearly had car sickness. I am not interested hundred leds, cup holders, rear camera, sunnies holder in the car because for me a car is made for the pleasure of driving not to drink coffee in it and stretch my legs. My other (brand new) cars had them all and wouldn't move on the road as good, even at full throtle. The leather seats are beautiful and comfy. Interior has minimalistic bolt beauty. Sound system is not bad and can be better.I can't appreciate if passengers are comfortable, I bought it for myself and daily city trips. I find it quite economical although I drive it in dynamic mode on daily basis. I spend the same money on petrol as for the Mazda 3. So far I haven't had any issue with anything (3000km so far), only pure joy to drive it every day. I agree that any cheaper car take you where you need but Alfa is more than this!

Date PurchasedAug 2017

Love it!!!

I do love this car. It is a good car, not perfect, but I would not drive anything else. Firstly let me say that I am an ex-automotive engineer who has driven literally hundreds of cars including testing them at the proving ground. So my comparisons are extensive and as a bench marker, I drove budget to luxury and everything in between. The Alfa Romeo is for people who love them, just like the engineers who designed them, so I am willing to overlook a few things here and there. e.g. - visibility in other cars of this size is better. My start stop was back and forth to fix, but ultimately we worked out the problem just before the 3-year warranty expired. The gasket on my windshield fell apart at 2.5 years, but that is what you get when you buy a European car not made for the harsh Aussie sun - fixed under warranty too. Services are cheap if you shop around and disagree with the review on standard tyres - I find the P7s stick great and look better than the alternatives so i replaced ith the same at 45k. For a small car, it has outstanding control and the Alfa cockpit design is a great feel for those who love it. The wheels on this car go black very quickly compared to other cars but they wash very easily at the local You-Do. Great value for the price

Date PurchasedApr 2014

Great fun car

Great looking car with lots of grunt. As standard does not sound sporty, but with time and some minor modification becomes a real Alfa.
Standard tyres limit absolute grip, be careful with your selection and the handling is amazing.
The interior is great to look at but typically Italian form over function, no foot rest in the clutch manual, the cupholders are useless, and the glovebox is not even big enough for the manual.
Not the most economical in the class, but overall has been very cheap to run and service for over 100K and has been perfectly reliable.

Date PurchasedApr 2014

Good looking car

I love the look of this car and and it is top quality. The passenger space is tight and storage space is lacking. It is not a smooth drive and I don’t like the way the computer handles changing gears but still enjoy driving it anyway. I don’t like all of the controls being located for a left hand drive car, it would be nice if they reversed them for a right hand drive car.

TransmissionTwin clutch transmission

Looks meet functions

In short, excellent car. You won't see many of them around, it's a head turner, and so far we had zero issues with it. It's the perfect safe family car where size, practicability and comfort meets style and easy maintenance. Tank of fuel takes you a loong way in this Alfa, very economical for a luxury car!

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Pretty car but bad customer service

I really like the giulietta. It doesn't disappoint. Very zippy with decent power. Fuel economy is average but I do mostly city driving. Stop start function has delay so I don't use it. Cup holders r tiny and too close together u can only use one. Needs more internal dash lights so you can see where the key whole is. No other real problems.
Customer service on other hand. I bought from Doncaster Alfa and they were great. So patient with all my questions and I got a good deal. But main office call two months into having car to say I needed a recall on my vin plate as it has wrong manufactor info. alfa never arranged it to be done. I called a few times and got no where. Lodged a case so they would look into it and no one responded. Called to find out status of case and got a rude man who talked to my like I was an idiot girl. Didn't get anywhere. I lodged a complaint and no one ever responded. This wasn't ever a dealership. Can't fault the dealership at all. This is main office being so unhelpful and rude. Once it's time to sell this car I won't buy another Alfa only because customer services was the worst I've ever experience and I don't need that treatment in my life from a car manufacturer.

BadgeSprint
Date PurchasedMar 2016

It's not a Car, it's an AlfaRomeo...

THE best driving experience ever! The performance is like a race car!, handles beautifully, quiet and classy.. Love everything about the interior but we are yet to work out how to lock the doors from inside.. The running costs are - literally - next to nothing - even in dymo mode. Very reliable, family darling!

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Best car I've owned.

I've owned and driven many cars, and the Giulietta has been my favourite by far. Enjoy the way it handles and drives. Nice transmission and engine sound. Truly a drivers car. Smooth and comfortable on the road. (Although, the 16"wheels help, compared to the 18"which I test drove) No rattles or problems. Other makes are over rated.
Well done Alfa Romeo.

Date PurchasedAug 2016

Brilliant hot hatch. Only flaws lay inside . Fuel consumption more than advertised

Going on 6 years old now , bought a 1500k ex demo 1.8l turbo as soon as they hit our shores.
Looks great, drives like a dream. No mechanical issues whatsoever .
Trim on steering wheel flaking off in a couple of spots , and consumption about 11 l/100km around town rather then the lower advertised rate , are my only minor gripes .

Date PurchasedSep 2011

Giulietta Distinctive 2ltr Diesel Problems

I purchased my ex demo 2ltr Diesel Giulietta two years ago and for the remainder of the warranty period it was fantastic, lots of power and reasonable economy averaging 5.5 liters per hundred kilometers however within two months of ending the 3 year warranty and having only done about 14,000kms the check engine light keeps coming on with a diesel particulate filter error code. I expect better from a low kilometer almost new car and will now have to pay more to get this problem fixed. I was cautious buying an Alfa from their historic reputation and now it has come back to bite me. Having owned Honda's, Mazda's, Suzuki's and even a Jeep I have never had issues under 100,000kms.

BadgeDistinctive JTD-M
Date PurchasedJul 2014

What a fantastic car this is!

The combination of the newer version of the 4C 1750 engine and TCT gearbox is a match made in heaven. It packs a proper punch, sounds great and the gearbox is flawless. An absolute joy to drive. Turbo lag is non existent and it loves to rev. Enough has been said about the Giulietta's exterior styling over the years, it is a beautiful car and turns heads like you wouldn't believe. The interior is stylish with good materials, well built too, there are no rattles or squeaks anywhere. This car, as well as the Giulietta Multiair I owned for 4 years before I bought the QV, are the most reliable cars I've ever owned. I don't even have a blown light bulb or a bit of top-up oil to report. Unlike VAG vehicles that are riddled with factory faults. The Giulietta had a long gestation period and it shows. I absolutely love this car, there is nothing else on the market I want to replace it with. This one is a keeper, fantastic job, Alfa!

Date PurchasedSep 2015

Great little car!

Love the feel,handling and performance. Reliability after 40,000Ks? So far so good and puts my last car, a Subaru Forrester to shame. Also given up with the Stop Start feature but what the hell, I drive it almost exclusively in "Dynamic" mode using paddle shifts and the driving enjoyment is worth the few extra bucks you save in petrol using "Normal" and Stop Start.

Date PurchasedAug 2014

Love the car

I been driving Giulietta 2013 (brandnew) for nearly 3 years 40K on clock, love the feel of the car. Had problems with start/stop not working. Dealer fixed it after 4 attempts, 6 months diagnostics and 2 batteries replacement. Finally fixed by replacing battery sensors. Good car but poor service and parts availability.

Badge(No Badge)
TransmissionManual

Great all round car, well worth considering

I've had my QV Giulietta for nearly 3 years now and it has been a very good car. Plenty of power for a 1750cc engine and the 6-speed manual makes for effortless cruising. It can be thirsty around town, but gulps less on the highway. The engine is smooth and quiet (actually the car is quite quiet) but has a little rasp through the gears. It's definitely not a Golf GTI with a burp, but isn't that all a bit chav? Despite not having the integrated sat nav, the BOSE 9 speaker CD/Radio is great quality and the Bluetooth syncs effortlessly. Seats are quite firm but comfortable and the driving position is very adjustable. I have the combo leather/fabric and it's a nice combination and so far hard wearing. The "DNA" system works well and enables you to access the full 235hp from the engine, which is handy for overtaking and "spirited" driving. The boot is quite spacious, the rear seats less so. Larger adults will find the rear a bit cramped.

Servicing has been good, dealers are trying hard to please and are certainly happy to oblige. The only issue I've experienced is with the climate control - a sensor failed, but a warranty repair and SW upgrade sorted that. The ride is firm and can be a little choppy on harsh surfaces, so take a 1.4 if you prefer a slightly more compliant ride.

The cabin quality isn't Golf standard - yet...Once criticism is the lack of storage space. It would be nice to have more usable space for phones / wallets etc.

It has some nice features to surprise - like cooled / heated glove box, dual zone CC, ambient lighting, red stitching on seats, steering wheel, gear lever etc. Heated mirrors and reversing sensors. It lacks the camera for reversing which is a shame, but the sensors work well.

Quality like paint / alloys / finish overall is very good and if you're looking for a simple, smart car that stands out, its worth a look. Take one for a drive and see how it feels. Don't be put off by the naysayers - most of what they refer to is 80s cars. The Mito, 159 etc. showed the world that AR can still build cars.

TransmissionManual

I like my Giulietta but I’ve been informed I have to pay over $300 to get my Uconnect gps system updated. It keeps taking me to all the dead end streets. Other manufacturers don’t charge their clients for an update. Why do I need to pay this extravagant amount for an update?
I didn't want their gps and i use google maps on bluetooth. I certainly wouldn't pay them one cent, $300 that's laughable. The company is by no means a generous one, with every new car I bought I got free car mats, they wanted money - pft, cheap skates!!! Glad you like your GiuliettaThank you

Hi Alfa’s Just been told that it could be the inlet manifold, does that make any sense? Just for the record it’s a giulietta 2014 November jtd progression 2ltr turbo diesel Thanks Bruno

Hi Alfas I bought my 2ltr turbo diesel new has 68000kms on it and has now broken down . does anyone know what problems they have and how to fix them ? Mine has been fantastic but on my last trip it made a fast buzzing noise then gradually over a distance of 50kms it lost power till it could go no more,any ideas thanks
They are a beautiful car to look at but full of problems. I was same as you, bought it brand new didn’t even have 10kms on the clock, custom ordered from Italy. mine started to play up at around 45000kms the turbo decided to just stopped working which what your talking about sounds pretty much what happened to me. Fast buzzing noise, I got it home as I was literally 5 seconds away then it didn’t want to start the next day when I got it all booked in at my Alfa dealership. I got it towed there instead and it sat there for 4 weeks before the part made its way from Italy.... at a cost of 6k and some change. I then had it back from that incident for 3 weeks before water pump decided to just stop working, not that it was old or anything just to the poor workmanship on the car Alfa mechanic said that this is a very common issue that they haven’t tried to fix at all in production, that cost me $1200 and 4 days luckily they had this part on hand because it’s a known issue, the electrics stopped working my power lumbar stopped and my indicators only worked when they wanted to and that was a rare occurrence not to mention the radio decided to work on the odd occasion too, had that rectified costing $2200 and 7 days, again all parts they needed were on hand again because it’s a common problem, the day I jumped in my car and it decided to not want to have power steering was when I gave up, I got it down to the dealership and was told again it was a common problem and they could have it all fixed, that was the last $4500 I spent on that car! I pick it up and drove it straight to a Mercedes dealership traded it in on a c63 and have never looked back..... Alfa’s are beautiful cars and still I would love to own one again in particular a 4C but they will always be a lemon. Everything goes wrong with them when they are still relatively new... now let me also put in there that I always took it to the dealership for services ect and they apparently check for all these common problems in their checks but it was always “ok”. Never again.... at least I can say I was a proud owner of an Alfa Romeo for 2 and a bit years.Also resale value on them is shocking.... so don’t get your hopes up for a good sale if you do trade in, I got 8.5k for mine.

Alfa Romeo Giulietta Series 2 Super ManualAlfa Romeo Giulietta Series 2 Super AutoAlfa Romeo Giulietta Series 2 VeloceAlfa Romeo Giulietta Series 0 (No Badge)Alfa Romeo Giulietta Series 0 DistinctiveAlfa Romeo Giulietta Series 0 Distinctive JTD-MAlfa Romeo Giulietta Series 0 JTD-MAlfa Romeo Giulietta Series 0 ProgressionAlfa Romeo Giulietta Series 0 Progression JTD-MAlfa Romeo Giulietta Series 0 QV (Quad Verde)Alfa Romeo Giulietta Series 1 DistinctiveAlfa Romeo Giulietta Series 1 ProgressionAlfa Romeo Giulietta Series 1 SprintAlfa Romeo Giulietta Series 1 Quadrifoglio Verde
CategoryHatchbacksHatchbacksHatchbacksHatchbacksHatchbacksHatchbacksHatchbacksHatchbacksHatchbacksHatchbacksHatchbacksHatchbacksHatchbacksHatchbacks
Starting Price $29,900$34,900$41,900$24,550$29,350$35,250$41,990$27,450$33,350$39,150$33,000$29,000$31,000$39,000
TransmissionManualDual-Clutch (DCT)Dual-Clutch (DCT)Dual-Clutch (DCT) and ManualDual-Clutch (DCT) and ManualDual-Clutch (DCT)Dual-Clutch (DCT)Dual-Clutch (DCT) and ManualDual-Clutch (DCT)ManualDual-Clutch (DCT) and ManualManualManualDual-Clutch (DCT) and Manual
Drive TypeFront Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)
Fuel TypePetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolDieselDieselPetrolDieselPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrol
Wheels16" Alloy17" Alloy18" Alloy17" Alloy17" Alloy17" Alloy17" Alloy16" Alloy16" Alloy18" Alloy16" Alloy16" Alloy17" Alloy18" Alloy
ANCAP Safety Rating5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars
Doors55555555555555
Seats55555555555555
Fuel Consumption5.5 L/100km4.9 L/100km6.8 L/100km6.4 L/100km5.9 L/100km4.5 L/100km4.5 L/100km5.7 L/100km4.5 L/100km7.6 L/100km5.7 L/100km6.4 L/100km5.7 L/100km7.6 L/100km
Fuel Tank Capacity 60 L60 L60 L60 L60 L60 L60 L60 L60 L60 L60 L60 L60 L60 L
Engine4 Cylinder 1.4L4 Cylinder 1.4L4 Cylinder 1.75L4 Cylinder 1.4L4 Cylinder 1.4L4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 1.4L4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 1.7L4 Cylinder 1.4L4 Cylinder 1.4L4 Cylinder 1.4L4 Cylinder 1.8L
Max Power110kW @ 5500rpm125kW @ 5500rpm177kW @ 5750rpm88kW @ 5000rpm125kW @ 5500rpm125kW @ 4000rpm125kW @ 4000rpm125kW @ 5500rpm125kW @ 4000rpm173kW @ 5500rpm125kW @ 5500rpm88kW @ 5000rpm110kW @ 5500rpm177kW @ 5750rpm
Max Torque250Nm @ 2500rpm250Nm @ 2500rpm340Nm @ 2000rpm206Nm @ 1750rpm250Nm @ 2500rpm350Nm @ 1750rpm320Nm @ 1500rpm250Nm @ 2500rpm350Nm @ 1750rpm340Nm @ 1900rpm250Nm @ 2500rpm215Nm @ 2500rpm250Nm @ 2500rpm340Nm @ 1900rpm
Country of ManufactureItalyItalyItalyItalyItalyItalyItalyItalyItalyItalyItalyItalyItalyItaly
Manufacturer Warranty3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)
Release dateOct 2016Oct 2016Oct 2016Jan 2011May 2012May 2012Jan 2011May 2013May 2013Jan 2011Dec 2014Dec 2014Nov 2015Nov 2015
Discontinuation dateNov 2014Nov 2014Nov 2014Nov 2014Nov 2014Nov 2014Nov 2014Sep 2016Sep 2016Sep 2016Sep 2016