Car Insurance Buying Guide

Our buying guide will explain which type of car insurance would suit you most, how much you can expect to pay for one, and which features are worth looking out for.

2.1

• Timeliness
  • Job Satisfaction
Nellie

NellieN/a

16% increase in premium is excessive

Car ModelToyota Camry ASV50R / AVV50R Altise

Wouldn't touch it with my enemy's vehicle

Nicholas S

Nicholas SSouthwest, VIC

Dishonest, incompetent, inefficient, infuriating overseas call centre

They insisted that I use their repairer and that I had selected this option on the original policy . I asked several times for a PDF of the policy but it never came.

They have a call centre in The Philippines staffed by people with poor English skills.They made numerous mistakes which were IMPOSSIBLE to sort out because of the language skills.

I found myself doing a lot of the work that they should have done.

Two final points:

1. Don't ever ever use Apia.
2. Don t believe the good reviews. The word choice, style of expression etc point to them being written by 1 or 2 individuals but you probably guessed that.

Claim DateJanuary 2020
Claim ApprovedNo

Morpheus

MorpheusGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

overpriced

over the last 3 years.... the premium rose from $50 a month to over $70 a month this year $853 for the year for a 10 year old Commodore...no claims ....got a quote from RACV....$256 cheaper....Apia have a kilometre range of 5000 to 10000 kilometre ....for that discount ??? RACV have no range restriction....

Car Model2010 holden
Isa

IsaGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Very long time to get car assessed

had my parked car damaged badly 2 weeks ago and have been told still has not been assessed I find this far too long to wait, not happy with time

Claim DateMarch 2018
Andrew

AndrewSydney

Getting older doesn't mean I got lobotomised to good service!

Turning 50 recently, I switched my car insurance over to APIA, looking to benefit from lower premiums, what I didn't realise was the true cost of switching.
Needing to fix my vehicle after a minor accident, the service I've encountered has been nothing by a disaster. Having to leave my vehicle for days on end for inspection assessment, needing to go to multiple repairers, waiting weeks to have it fixed and having to travel +40 mins to the nearest repair who could do the work. The time and money wasted can't justifies the small cost saving.
Their ad says 'I wish that I knew what I know now', too right. Don't use APIA, you pay for what you get. Going back to Coles Car insurance by far a better offering.

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateMarch 2020
Alan w.

Alan w.

Excessive premiums

After receiving my car insurance renewal I noticed that my premium was 8.7 % higher than the previous year and to add insult to injury my car was insured for $1400 less I called APIA to see if they could do less but the best they could do was take $30,00 a year of the price even though i had been quoted a policy that was $210 a year lees for an identical policy. This company promotes itself as looking after pensioners but in my opinion pensioners would be better served by shopping around for a better quote from a insurance company that looks after your needs and does not treat you like your a idiot.

May

MaySouth East Queensland, QLD

Red Tape Trying To Delay Claim

Car ModelHonda HR-V
die Gallis

die GallisTasmania

Would definitely recommend APIA car insurance

We lodged an online claim on Sunday afternoon, APIA rang back on Monday and the car got picked up by a tow truck within an hour or so. As we live in country Tas this is quite remarkable. Car was taken to be assessed. Since it was written-off we had pay-out in our bank account by Friday of the same week. Super quick and friendly.

Job Satisfaction
Claim DateJanuary 2020

Gary

GarySydney Surrounds, NSW

Reasonably priced comprehensive car insurance

Called the Apia help line to renew my car insurance. Was attended to and assisted quickly. Renewed my policy without fuss. Recommended insuring through Apia if you're over 55 for seniors discount

Car ModelToyota Corolla E180 Hatch Levin ZR
techknow

techknowSouth East Queensland, QLD

Thank you again APIA, lifesavers and tremendous to deal with.

Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim DateDecember 2019
Car ModelVolvo V50
Sal

SalSydney Surrounds, NSW

Excellent service and value

Great value saving alot of money now. Excellent service from your staff member . He was able to answer all my questions. First time I have been super excited about my age. Finally i am old enough to use Apia

Car ModelSubaru XV G4X 2.0i-S
Derek

DerekSydney, NSW

Sharp Practices

Claim MadeNo

Unreliable computer system, never use again

Dave ThomsonPerth, WA

Awful Service

Claim DateSeptember 2019
Car ModelToyota Prado J150 Altitude 4 Cylinder, 3 Litre

paulhowrah tasmania

Pleasant staff, very efficient.

Been with them 2.5 years, low prices, protected No claim bonus on both our cars. Partner went to their recommended repairer who unfortunately painted the rear bumper the wrong colour! [It was the original 6 yea ar old colour,but the car naturally had faded, & they did not match it. I did not notice until 2 months later.] Apart from that, they have been great.

Claim DateNovember 2018

Don’t bother

I had Car and Contents insurance with APIA had an incident when I went to claim with Contents made complaint I left to join NRMA and they are still taking money out of my account ? Dont go with APIA I made complaint all they could do was blame computer?

Not Happy Jan

Not Happy JanGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

You Cost Us Money

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateFebruary 2019
rudy

rudyGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Terrific service !

Within days of lodging an on-line claim we were contacted by Apia and literally wheels were set into motion to repair the damage as soon as possible. Booked into the repairers a couple of days later. Dropped of the car, Apia organised Uber to the nearest Hertz rental to keep us mobile. Three days later and despite an overlapping weekend, I was called to say the car was ready. Once again Uber was waiting at Hertz to take us to the repairers, who offer a Life-time guarantee on the repair! The whole process was seamlessly with minimum of fuss. The car looked was perfect. Top rating for this service, which we think was value for money.

Claim DateJune 2019
Car ModelVolvo XC60 MK.I D5 R-Design
Michelle

MichellePerth, WA

Dishonest, Corporate greed at its finest

The only reason APIA specialise in seniors is to take advantage of the disadvantaged! They added a four hundred and fifty dollar door to a car accident claim taking it over the $3000 excess by $6 so they could write the car off and hence pay out $2300 an absolute rort. taking this to AFCA. They shoudn't get any stars at all. I feel like I'm living in Nigeria !!!
Insured since 2005 Bad value car goes down in value insurance price goes up
Moved to western QBE yesterday full comprehensive $480 per annum half the price
Stay Away

Rick K

Rick Kasked

Car Insurance

After your car is repaired and you cancell the policy does the life time guarantee still apply if you are still the owner of the car and you go to a different company

paul

"Life", in English, may refer to the life of the car, OR your lifetime, [perhaps another 50 years]? They should not cancel it while you are still alive. To stop the "lazy tax" [people who are too lazy to check competitors prices] we should check prices AND what the coverage is, every year or two [plus the star ratings on Product Review].

Dave Thomson

Hi Rick to be honest mate I'm so pissed with this company I actually dont care anymore even now two WEEKS after the accident I still dont have my car back but for sure I'll NEVER go back with them again the only good thing thats come out of this is the bad publicity they've gave themselves, just beggars belief aye ?

Dave Thomsonasked

Car Insurance

WHEN is this so called Manger going to call me back ?????????????????

Didn’t know that’s one of reasons I left APIA

paul

Try contacting Consumer Affairs & I think there is an Insurance Ombudsman who will act if they ignore your written requests. The manager may have gone off "sick" [due to "overwork"!] Request his underlings help you, & refer them to this widely read product review site, which is giving them even more bad reviews, & losing them LOTS of business!

Dave Thomson

Thanks Paul so disgusted with the level of unacceptable service I WILL be cancelling my policy I dont need a company that treats its customers in such a bad way, thanks for your reply mate its very much appreciated and a whole lot more than APIA did.....

Wayne C.

Wayne C.asked

Car Insurance

Accidentally broke my back window today. It's going to cost me $375.00 how much can I claim for? [Name and Number Removed] Thank you.

paul

The insurance co. will tell you. Why dont you ASK them? I believe you can claim the full amount, LESS any excess YOU have chosen.

Get an answer from our members and APIA representatives