BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2

BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2

KO2 - just too much road noise.

recently purchased a set of 215/65 KO2's and found the road noise at 70-100km/h to be draining after a long trip, had 2x wheel allignments to check all okay and bearings have been recently replaced that eliminated all other factors, ended up exchanging them last week due to this.

Purchased in May 2019.

Noise Level

Not happy with sidewall construction

I purchased 6 KO2 30/10.5/16 tyres for my HZJ75 Troopcarrier last year. In The Kimberley I holed three sidewalls (despite running appropriate tyre pressures and using thoughtful driving technique), once on round rocks, once on sharp rocks and once by a tiny stick. Very, very disappointed with their sidewall protection performance.
I heard similar reports from other outback drivers while travelling. I've done this trip several times in similar vehicles and conditions without drama, though not on KO2s...
I'm due to head out bush again and am going change to 16 inch rims and another brand of tyre this time, not BFG KO2s.

Purchased in May 2018.

Tyre Mileage 35,000 km
Car ModelToyota LandCruiser 70 HDJ/HZJ
Tyre Pressure Used38 PSI
Dry Weather Handling

Can run over sharp steel, but can't handle wooden twigs.

So there is a promotion video of the K02 tyre running over a sharp piece of steel. The side walls are meant to be much thicker than any other tyre on the market, and that is what sealed the deal for me to buy these tyres. I think they are meant to be 20% tougher??

As mentioned, the video shows the tyre running over a piece of sharp steel jamming into the side wall of the tyre. The tyre does not explode or even have a mark!, and yet the other day when I was out driving in the bush with my pressures @ 26psi, a twig the size of a match stick pierced through the side wall of the tyre and it went flat. So here is a tyre that can run over and withstand the forces of steel, but can't handle a match stick twig??

Now I am off to the dealer to see if they are going to warrant this issue. The tyres are 7 months old and have done maybe 6,000kms. 900 of those kilometers have been off road. I had purchased a set of 5 tyres too. If they don't warrant me for this, I will never buy from this dealer of this brand again!

Video here (@50secs): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp5dVUol778&t=130s

Update!!! Update!!! Update!!! Update!!! Update!!! Update!!!
BF Goodrich (Michelin) and Bob Jane T-marts have replaced the two tyres. I am unsure why but this has restored my faith in the brand and the companies. We are now working together to determine the correct PSI for the terrain I travel on. It is this type of customer service that ALL companies should follow, because this is how you keep customers coming back. I asked for a wheel alignment and when I reached for my wallet, the manager at Bob Jane said it was on the house. I wanted to pay for it because that was not part of the deal. But he insisted it was free. This is true customer service. And this is the way it should always be!

Purchased in October 2018 at Bob Jane T-Marts for $1,182.00.

Tyre Mileage 6,000 km
Car ModelSuzuki 2004 XL7
Tyre Pressure Used26 PSI
Dry Weather Handling

Low wear, excellent grip, treat them nice and they will last years.

KO2 265/75 R16 on original steel factory rims.
Purchased the day I picked up my new BT50. Now have done 50000 Km with slight wear showing. I expect another 50000 out of them.
Around town in a loaded work ute, great.
Highway speeds fully loaded towing a caravan, great.
Gravel, corrugated dirt tracks, great. With the van, awesome.
Muddy, sandy horrible outback tracks, great. Beach driving excellent with reduced pressure.
My only concerns was in an unloaded ute in heavy rain they can loose grip. If you drive like a professional and read the conditions you can't fault them.
Just manage the pressures and rotate.

Purchased in February 2016.

Tyre Mileage 50,000 km
Car ModelMazda BT-50 MK2 (2011-Present)
Tyre Pressure Used39 PSI

Unimpressed

Tread wear and chipping that bad at 10,000 km service of my hilux 4x4 that localToyota service refused to rotate them. Should have stuck to either “Mickeys” or
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrak that I get 70 to 75,000kms out of on the harsh gravel roads that I spend most of my time on. Been waiting over 3 weeks to hear from Michelin rep. Never again

Purchased in October 2018.

Off-Roading FrequencyDaily

US Recall on BFF KO2'S

Ive had BFG's for over 20yrs, but never the new KO2's. I came here to read the reviews and to do a bit of pre-purchase research and noted a few people have complained about tearing sidewalls. Dug a bit deeper and found that there was a recall in the US for this specific problem, back in 2015 or 16. Unfortunately it appears us insignificant Aussies got conveniently left out of that.

Out of curiosity, has anyone experienced issues with these tyres more recently (2018-2019), as they may have fixed the issue?

Purchased in March 2019.

Excellent tyres

Wear extremely well sticks to the road in wet, dry snowy conditions very good wearing tyre on a 4wd Hilux that is used for towing a large trailer all the time.

Purchased in March 2017 at Bob jand moonah.

Tyre Pressure Used45 PSI

Amazing!

So glad I switched to these tyres. My parents got 200,000 kilometers out of theirs which is why I decided to try them. They are not noisy on the road and grip really well. I've had them on for nine months now and they get regularly rotated and not even a sign of wear as yet. I'm super happy with them and the price is worth is several times over!

Purchased in May 2018 at Bob Jane T-Marts.

Tyre Mileage 14,996 km
Car ModelToyota Prado J120
Off-Roading FrequencyYearly

Exceeded my expectations!

Love my set of BF'S! This is my first set and I will be buying the same set when I am due to buy more! I highly recommend to anyone who wants to take any terrain from snow to mud. Theirs a lot more quieter than I thought while out on the highway

CarFord ranger

very poor

after using BFG's for more than thirty years, I will not buy another one. Put two on the front of my RAM 2500 and had to wait 8 weeks for two for the rear to come from US. two on the front have hardly worn 21700ks. the two rear tires both punctured at 10500ks, one with a rock strait through the tread (something I have never had before with the BFG's) the other with a 75mm tear strait through the tread ($500 gone) both within 4 days of each other. The wear on the two tires at 10500ks to Quote the tire shop owner looked like they had done 30000 + ks. these tires had done about 200 ks on gravel the rest black top.tire pressures as per manufacturers recommendations. It appears to me that the compound of the two newer tires is inferior to the older ones. The fine print on the 6 year warranty means you don't have a chance at a claim ($1000 down) I am now running coopers on the rear. the BFG's may have been good in the past but they aren't worth the money now. I have never had a BFG tire wear or have a rock pierce the tread like these ones have and to get only 10500 ks out of them before they destroyed them selves?? These tire have a load rating of 125/122 and a speed rating of R and considering I was running empty on the black top at the time I don't know how the could achieve this rating.
Save your money and look for another brand.

Car2014 Dodge Ram 2500

BF Goodrich ko2 speed rating

Totally disappointed with the speed rating of the BF Goodrich Ko2. As most of the modern SUVs are a lot faster than the speed rating ( s ) I feel it should be a minimum of a H speed rating or or a speed rating of v. So come on the bF Goodrich you have been around long enough to know better.

Car2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee WK 3.0 v6 crd

be very wary

Ungraded to 2016 200 series cruiser fitted with BFG KO2 LT 285/70 17. With 6 tyres I rotate tyres every service ( 6 months or 10000k) Two tyres that had done only 15000k have bad splits and need replacement. Had one tyre deflate rapidly at approx 60-65kph on graded gravel due to tread block cracking at the base. Crack went through to the steel casing! Life was interesting for a few moments! This alerted me to the tyres.

On return home bought a replacement then checked other tyres. The other tyre that has less than 15000k has a serious crack in the sidewall, dangerous to use and will likely require replacement. Both these tyres used almost exclusively on highway travel, very little gravel or dirt. No rock exposure.

The other 3 tyres have done 27000 and have cracks around the tread blocks or between the tread blocks. I have run all tyres at 40psi highway and low 30psi (measured hot) on gravel. Sometimes lower on gravel. They are relatively noisy on bitumen. Not sure they are any better than previous tyres on gravel/mud. The 26000 k has been with a light-medium loaded 200 series, 2 people and some camp gear. I drive conservatively, especially off road, a bit like the retiree I am. Have been unhappy with vehicle fuel consumption and Toyota dealer points at the Ko 2 tread pattern as at least partly responsible..

The trips we have been doing have not been as challenging as previous in a Patrol fitted with Yokahamas AT which performed excellently and still had 50% tread at 26000k. eg now trips are Sydney-Bourke rather than Cape York. The amount of tyre chipping and splitting with BFG KO2 is simply not to be expected and appears excessive even dangerous.

Very unhappy with KO 2 tyres. Have seen dealer and he is pessimistic about any warranty claim, awaiting inspection by BFG rep.

Conclusion Be very wary about BFG KO2 despite all the promotion of these tyres as outstanding all-terrain.They do not last and can split unexpectedly. Company support appears questionable.

CarLandcruiser 200 GX

Dangerous in Wed Conditions

Bought these tyres as a package with the vehicle, great tyre in dry conditions, plenty of grip off road. When using them in muddy conditions, keep spinning them moderately to clear the lugs.
However in wet conditions on sealed roads they are more than dangerous. Thankful for traction control cause without it, you'd be off the road. They feature a very hard compound which is great for wear and longevity but hopeless for grip on wet sealed surfaces. Although my vehicle isn't a power house, I can still drift at 80Km/H.

Car2017 Ford Ranger PX2 XLS

Won’t stay balanced

Not so good for my 285/55R20, all 4 are bad. Ride good, nice wear but they won’t stay balanced. Had to be balanced twice the first week I got them, rotated them at 5200 miles, balanced them twice and they won’t stay in balance. Hopefully my shop will get them replaced under warranty.

Car2015 Toyota Tundra Limited double cab 4x4

Great Tyres well worth the price

Have been wanting these for a while and it was worth the wait, heard nothing but good reviews and i also have had family the use them and have lasted a while, so now my turn.

From when i left the tyre shop i could feel the difference, going over the speed bump it was hardly a rock in the car, steering was very responsive, when i got up to highway speed it did not have the annoying wobble and quiet for the size i got 285/75/16.
I have used them in the rain, does not aquaplane when we hit puddles, good braking no slipping.
in Dirt they are very sturdy, you dont feel the corrugation as rough.
They do like to pick up rocks though, but thats the only thing and i dont mind.
They also sit real nice on the Patrol, i would definitely recommend well worth the price, safety first

Car2000, Nissan Patrol Wagon GU2

Wait there still going

I love these tyres they look super tough they handle the tough business & they are gonna last me a good 3 years. A little joke there but seriously the life you gonna get out of these tyres are so much better than the competition. They handle great on the road, get you down the beach for a fish or surf & love hitting a challenging 4wd park.

CarFor courier

Best tyres

I have been using these on my 100 series for years, best i have done was 100,000km.
Drove from Geelong to Cape York and back, great on the road and fantastic on the Telegraph track.
In mud, sand, rivers and the road the performed fantastic, i highly recommend these tyres

Car2001 Toyota Lancruiser wagon, 100series turbo diesel

Best Tyre I ever had

I've been using BFG A/T on my 4x4s ( Landcruiser/Hilux) for the last 20 years. I've tried others that were cheaper but in the long run were more expensive/km. I just sold my 2002 cruiser and the the buyer was gobsmacked with how many kms I got ~ 120,000! I do four wheeling occasionally, nothing too heavy so they're fine. When I get a new (used) fourby the first thing I do is replace the tyres with BFG's.

Car60/ 80/100 series landcruisers as well as two Hiluxes.

Ok

These tires are ok I find they are a little overpriced they last well but do make a good bit of road noise they seem to hum a lot when I am slowing down they do very well on wet pavement which is a plus I can’t have tires that slip and slide on wet pavement that’s dangerous

Car2007 Chevy truck

Low Kms

Only got 40,000kms with my new set of tyres, have a caravan but only done around 15,000kms towing it. Thought I would get more kms than what I got. Now I'm considering another brand. Had Goodrich A/T before on my prado and got nearly 80,0000kms. Not sure why I should consider get these tyres again

CarNissan Pathfinder 2012

What pressure should my bf Goodrich all terrain ko2 tyres be at? I have them fitted on my motorhome
The manufactures recommended pressure listed on the compliance plate.

I just replaced my stock tyres on my 2014 Hilux with BFG 265/65/17 A/T KO2. They ride just fine but I noticed on three of the rims on the inside the dealer put lead strips about 2.5cm x 15 cm. Must be about a half a kilo! That doesn't seem right. On the fourth rim there is a 40 gram balance weight. Is this acceptable practice or is this a known issue with the new BFGs. This is the fifth vehicle I g=have installed BFGs on and never noticed anything before.
Hi mate. I see nobody has answered you. that's because most will think it is a dumb question. However to answer your question and take some worry off your mind the problem is not with the tyres. The issue is with the rims. and its not really an issue. Don't panic about it there is nothing wrong, it is just to balance the tyre with balance with the rim.Thanks Mate... I brought the tyres back to the dealer and they rotated the tyre on the rim. Ended up with 25 gram! All good. And it was only on one rim not three as written above!

I have these on my 6.5t iveco daily twin wheel. I have been told it won't pass the plate test. What weight can each tyre carry?
Hi Chris, I'm no expert but I just went out and checked the tyre wall and it reads: Max load single is 1360kg at 80psi cold Max load Dual is 1250kg at 80psi cold I hope this helps.I read the plate and requires 225/75/17 . Front and rear on a twin which is is. Then it says weight 118/116 ?? That's where I'm stuck! I don't have this to see on my KO2'S. I was led to believe as KO2'S had thicker side walls so they carry a lot more weight. I think only no proof till I get van back is it was more the 7.5t Mark as opposed to the 6.5t I only need.