Pet Insurance Buying Guide

If your dog or cat becomes sick, pet insurance can help get the treatment they deserve. For a better idea of how pet insurance works, continue reading so you can make an informed choice.

Read now
Buying Guide Banner

• Claim Resolution Time
    • <1 week (206)
    • 1-2 weeks (181)
    • 2-4 weeks (97)
    • 1-2 months (25)
    • 3+ months (4)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (481) · No (32)

Allycat

Allycat South East Queensland, QLD

Great to have when it is needed!

Bow Wow M.Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Thank you for the review Allycat. I am so sorry to hear about your loss, it never is easy losing them. I am glad to hear we made things a little less stressful for you. All the best from the Bow Wow team.

Cyndi

CyndiMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Great fast no fuss claiming very happy so far

Have hassles with other pet insurance when trying to claim so very reluctant to join another. I have only been with Bow Wow Meow for a short time but had reason to claim and it was really easy and benefit refund processed in 2 days. Very happy so far and good value as they cover for consults on my policy which some do not.

Bow Wow M.Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Good to hear that your claim went smoothly. Just an FYI, although we cover consults, there is unfortunately a sub-limit on them for the year (please check your policy for details). Thanks so much for the review Cyndi.

Great Experience

The gap system made it so easy to deal with. When your dog is ill and the last thing is dealing with a head ache on claims, this was the best and easiest system used. Highly recommend. All communication was very transparent. So far so good!

Bow Wow M.Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi Mandy, thanks for the review. We are only hearing positives about the No Gap system & obviously look forward to it being rolled out with as many vets as possible. Glad it worked well for you too! All the best from the Bow Wow team.

Mike C

Mike CPerth, WA

No issues with the insurance payments for my Schnauzer Tessa.
She has just finished her 16th chemo session and the Lymphoma is in recession.
Claims did vary in costs.
Never had to wait more than a fee weeks to receive the benefit.

Bow Wow M.Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi Mike, thanks for the feedback and we are glad to hear that Tessa's lymphoma is now in recession. We hope that she is feeling well and that her health will continue to improve! All the best from the Bow Wow team.

Marissa

MarissaVictoria

Worth having it

I’m very happy I insured my golden retriever dog. I insured him for accident plus. For peace of mind, He was a healthy do, i only claim once when he was 5yrs old and now that He is nearly 14 yrs old, the insurance was a big help, I was able to claim all his medical consults and medications, different kinds of blood tests when he was diagnosed with cancer. They processed my claim so quickly and I was able to claim 40% of the total cost. It’s worth having it.

Bow Wow M.Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi Marissa, thanks for the lovely feedback. We are glad to have been there for you and your fur baby when you needed us. We hope your boy is doing well and not in too much pain. All the best from the Bow Wow team.

Jodie

JodiePerth, WA

Wouldn’t live without pet insurance

My husband and I are very happy with Bow Wow Insurance. Using the online portal is easy and efficient.
Been with Bow Wow 5 1/2 years.
I found when making a claim from start to finish is only taken a week except for my last claim which has taken a lot longer.

Bow Wow M.Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi Jodie, thank you for taking the time to give your feedback. It's great to hear that you have had a good experience and are satisfied with our claims process. :) All the best from the Bow Wow team.

stevehendo

stevehendoSydney, NSW

Great service... especially with Gap Only

Great when you need it.. provides easy payment with Gap Only at the vets.
Good online portal which allows you to update details easily
Watch out when you get offered to reduce premiums especially with an older animal it may not be worth the small monthly decrease

Bow Wow M.Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi Steve, great to hear that you are happy with our service, and taking advantage of the convenience of GapOnly claiming! All the best from the Bow Wow team.

First major claim success

I have been with BWM with my two small dogs for five years now. We had been fortunate enough not to need to claim for anything major up until this year. My dog unfortunately needed to have her eye removed from an accident, which ended up being several thousand dollars. BWM came through and paid the majority of the claim for us. It was fast and so easy to claim via online!

Bow Wow M.Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Glad the claim went well Vanessa. An eye removal sounds really stressful. We hope your dog is on the road to recovery.

Vanessa
Vanessa

Hi BWM, yes I just noticed that too...mistake. Very happy with all aspects of your company thus far. Thanks!

Tiffany Drew

Tiffany DrewGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Very prompt assessment and payment

I've paid very little insurance in my 1 year old puppy's life and received a substantial amount in reimbursement from my Bow Wow Meow policy. Whilst I would do anything not to have had to face a total hip replacement for my 10 month old pup, it was a huge load off my mind knowing that the exorbitant costs were not going to hurt as much after I submitted my insurance claims.
Bow Wow Meow paid a generous portion of my costs, no questions asked!

Bow Wow M.Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Thank you for the review Tiffany. It is good to hear we made a stressful situation a little less stressful. We hope your little pup has fully recovered.

Mags

MagsGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

I have been using Bow Wow for many years now for my 13 year old dog and it has been so very good - she has had hip replacement and ASL op plus bits in between and I've found Bow Wow t always be so very very helpful........as a Travel Agent with all suspended etc due to Covid my premiums for two months were suspended and it helped immensely and so very kind of them to do this as is all very difficult.
They can never do enough to assist in all the years I've been using them..........I feel I am their PR person as I tell everyone incl Vets to use Bow Wow Meow.

Bow Wow M.Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi Mags, thank you so much for the lovely review. We are really glad we have been able to assist you and your furry friend. A hip replacement and ASL op must have been really stressful. We hope your dog has recovered.

Sarah H.

Sarah H.

Simple and easy to claim

It was very easy to file claims using the online portal. Very quick turnaround on claim processing - particularly since most of the claims were filed over the Christmas period. A good experience for our first set of claims for our dog!

Bow Wow M.Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi Sarah, thank you for the lovely review. Good to hear it all went smoothly.

Macasbar

MacasbarGippsland, VIC

Great value for money

Took out a policy when we got our puppy. Had never had pet insurance before but was tempted after vet gave us free cover (with a different company) on our 1st visit. Did some research and found Bow Wow Meow the best value. My policy pays 80% with a $200 annual excess per condition. Turns out she has had recurring skin issues so the excess per condition has not been an issue as she has had to have regular quite expensive treatments for the same condition so in her case it has been very worthwhile. They have been really good with the claims process and very prompt with their payments. I would recommend anyone considering insurance to check out these guys to see if they suit your situation.

Meghan

MeghanSydney, NSW

Thinking of getting pet insurance? You won’t regret it!

I had never had pet insurance before my current dog but after hearing some friends experience I got it for peace of mind. In the last few month my dog has had such a terrible time from a leg injury to an anaphylactic reaction to a bug bite we have practically lived at the vets. Although throughout all of this I was not concerned financially as we had pet insurance what has already covered more then what we would pay them in the year. My vets have a claim on the spot option which is quick and easy to use and I just pay the gap. I have only been with bow wow for less then 12 months but it was the best thing I did for my dog!

Bow Wow M.Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi Meghan, it sounds like you have really been through it all. I hope your dog has recovered? Thanks for the review and glad to hear we were able to help.

Leigh-Anne

Leigh-Anne Perth, WA

Excellent Service

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance has been a pleasure to deal with - they are very professional, quick and have paid out all my claims. One of my dogs, Teddy had to unfortunately have hip surgery but they were excellent throughout the claim process. Can highly recommend them.

Bow Wow M.Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Glad to hear it Leigh-Anne. Appreciate the review and I hope Teddy is doing much better now.

This Was a Lifesaver!

I took out Accident Plus insurance on our Labrador in April. The price was good and covered exactly what I needed, all the “just in case” issues. I’ve never had a problem with any of my dogs but three weeks ago that “just in case” happened with the swallowing of a foreign object. The claim was a large one and went through immediately and was paid, as promised, with no issues and in under three weeks. Very impressed. Thank you! This was actually a life saver. Highly recommended.

Bow Wow M.Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Thanks for sharing Farm Girl. I am glad it was a smooth process. Hopefully your furry friend has fully recovered?

trkishdelite

trkishdeliteSouth East Queensland, QLD

Takes forever for claims to be approved

I have had to submit a few claims as I have 2 dogs with them who are both on the ultimate care package - their processing time is ridiculously long. We have been with other insurance providers and have had the process take a quarter of the time it takes BowWowMeow to process it.

Annie

AnnieMELBOURNE

2nd dog second refusal to pay

My second dog had an eye infection, required medication. All info on invoice from vets. Took over a month for Bowowomeow to finally get back to me, refused to pay their share saying it was routine care and they don't pay for that.
I am so weary of dealing with this company.

Bow Wow M.Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance

Hi Annie, I am sorry to hear this. Please can you email insurance@bowwow.com.au with the above review and your policy number and I will send this through to our resolutions team to investigate. Many thanks, Greg

Beware the premium increases

I joined last year and thought it was good value for peace of mind. When joining I received a 10% discount on the premium. Now come to renewal time and my premium has gone up by nearly 40%. Minor standard increases i would expect but that is excessive by anyone’s standards.

RAM
RAM

Thanks Lindsey, this was looked into and I was told the premium increase was set against a variety of factors. They also indicated that my first year I was on a good deal.

Lania

LaniaTasmania

Excellent, so glad I got this

Bill D.

Bill D.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

what a relief having pet insurance when the unexpected comes along