Pet Insurance Buying Guide

If your dog or cat becomes sick, pet insurance can help get the treatment they deserve. For a better idea of how pet insurance works, continue reading so you can make an informed choice.

Read now

• Claim Resolution Time<1 week (58), 1-2 weeks (44), 2-4 weeks (17), 1-2 months (7) and 3+ months (6)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (122) · No (11)
JUDITH HALL

JUDITH HALLAustralian Capital Territory

So glad we have this.

We have had Real Insurance for our staffie since he was 10 months old. He is now 10 and a half. In this time he has had cruciate surgery and a few other minor things. Recently he slipped a disk and in the end had to have spinal surgery. I am so happy that we had the insurance to cover this. Claims were paid quickly and it is so good that the claim is sent straight from the vet, no paperwork to complete. Highly recommend it.

Lorraine P

Lorraine PSouth East Queensland, QLD

No hassle

I took out Pet Insurance for my dog 6 years ago and to date have never had an issue with a claim. Online claims service makes it so much easier.

Claim DateNovember 2020
Desmond

DesmondGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Just joined so far seems Ok

The Policy seems good value and just joined up my Dog Ben the account was easy to set up and is compatable with others and I have been with Real Insuranced now for many years and very happy with their policies

hmj

hmj

This great

Very quick to sign up and it was exactly what l needed for my pet for future use for any medical problems etc that may occur. Explained quite clearly for me

Pet Type(s) InsuredCat

Really Happy with Real Pet Insurance

No problems with the policy, once all the documentation was set up with Real, no problems with all the claims we've been making. The reimbursement are usually made fairly quickly depending on how quick the Vet submits the claim.

AdrienneSydney, NSW

Will Be Looking Elsewhere For My Next Dog

Claim Resolution Time1-2 months

Policy No: [Number Removed]

Customer RelationsReal Insurance

So streamlined and quick - was amazed at the turn around once a claim had been submitted!

We have accident only cover, which we questioned prior to needing it, if it was worthwhile - 2 weeks later our 2yo Shepard broke his leg playing! He needed extensive orthopaedic surgery, in-hospital care and rehab. Claim processed within 7 business days! Absolutely worth every cent we’ve paid into our cover.

OMER S

OMER SSydney, NSW

Highly recommended Real Pet Insurance to anyone who loves their pets and wants to ensure they get the best care possible

Real insurance has been an absolute blessing for us over the last 6 years. We have had pet insurance since our pug was 8 weeks old (now 6yrs old) and it has been worth every single cent. Unfortunately he has had a number of costly medical issue and it’s been so comforting to know he could get the best treatment without having to worry about the cost. Real Insurance has been a pleasure to deal with on every occasion and has always been very prompt in paying claims and now offering Gap only I only pay the gap in the bill.. so easy and convenient! I highly recommend Real Insurance to anyone looking for peace of mind and a friendly reliable company who care about our fur babies!

Simone

SimoneGippsland, VIC

I'm glad that I was able to claim on insurance for my pet's vet treatment.

No, not a good policy for value as unable to insure for dental which I feel is a very important part of pets health, as peridontal is vital to maintaining the best health for your pet, and pets deterioration in health is primarily due to dental, and therefore, as I have a premium policy, I feel that dental should be included. Myself I have private health cover and dental is covered as it is important, so why not the pets. My pet has his teeth cleaned but I am out of pocket for this because REAL do not cover it. And yes, I am a responsible pet owner.
yes easy to set up, .
Good time frame for resolving claim
pet insured for 2 years

Insurance policy is fantastic

Policy is great value however the time for the processing of claim is convenient and stress free however there should be a fixed price as I am on a fixed budget

Pet Type(s) InsuredCat
Jasmine

JasmineSydney, NSW

Best decision ever

Our dog is two years old and was diagnosed with cataracts, which is unusual because he is so young. To us he is much more than just a dog, he’s family. We decided we want to give him the best life possible and get him surgery to fix his eyes and restore his vision. He spent three days with the amazing team at SASH vets. Real pet insurance covered 80% of his surgery, and were super quick to approve it (no hassles). I would also like to add that we didn’t have to pay the money outright as real pet insurance paid the vets directly, saving us having to fork out $8k and then claim the money back. We are so grateful for real pet insurance. Could not recommend them enough!

Susan Webster

Susan WebsterSydney, NSW

Wouldn't be without my pet insurance

So good, I'm very happy with my pet insurance, I have it since we bought our dog as a puppy for 7 years. wouldn't be with out it, So easy to claim , my vet sends my claim through for me and you get your money back very quick.

Easy claim, quick payment

Online claim process was straightforward and payment was received in a few days. Only thing that was confusing was requirement for vet notes on the online portal but my vet would not release them to me - only direct to insurer.

Carole R

Carole RGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Pet insurance claim

I’m really happy with my pet insurance through Real Insurance! The process time was quick which is great. I feel that my policy is good value! I have had this policy for 3 years and have always had good service.

Prompt reinbursment

Was impressed at the prompt return after submitting invoice . Recieved a great amount back. Have recommended this insurance to others. We are glad we took out this insurance as it has been worth it .

Virginia

VirginiaSouth East Queensland, QLD

Reliable and helpful, literally a life saver for our dogs.

RPI has been reliable and literally a life saver for 3 of our dogs over the last 9 years. Claims are easy to submit and are processed quickly, call centre staff are really helpful on the phone when needed. We are relieved that we can tell our vet to apply whatever tests and treatments are needed to help our beloved dogs get back to full health, knowing we are covered for up to 80% of the costs. We have had some scary close calls and thankfully this insurance has helped us through.

Number of Pets3 pets
Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Caroline

CarolineSydney Surrounds, NSW

Excellent Pet Insurance!!!

Very easy to set up today, very informative consultant, I have been with Real for over 10yrs with another form of Policy so I am very happy insuring my new Pet with Real Insurance.

Customer RelationsReal Insurance

Not value for money at all

This company is an absolute rip off. Do yourself a favour and go elsewhere!!!! Always a reason they can't pay a rebate and absolutely not worth the money!!!
I tried to cancel my policy today only to be told I needed to keep paying it for the duration of the policy period. I pay $80 per month and I have only been able to claim for $120 during policy period. My dog had a $1400 dental operation. I got $21 back. Dental is a general exclusion apparently. Super unhappy!

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks

Long & drawn out

It took 2 & 1/2 months to resolve my claim & had to contact real insurance via phone - on an awful patchy line - multiple times. I had to do all the chasing up. Will be switching to a different company when this policy runs out.

Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Karen

KarenGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

No fuss, no questions easy claim

Was very happy!
The claim was easy, no stress and payment was promptly transferred into my account. During these times it takes the worry out as it’s stressful dealing with a sick animal. Thank you for your great customer care

Kevasked

Real Pet Insurance

No pet insurance has great reviews but yours is the worst . Are you happy about this ? What are you doing to win back the customers you have lost due to your unreal actions . Are you incompertant or just uncareing ? Why and how are you still in business selling this useless insurance policy?
I pray you go down very soon and stop the Hurt and heart ache you cause the most needy in society

Benedict G.Real Insurance

Hi there, we have responded to your original post and have asked for you to provide us with your policy and contact number so we can contact you to assist you with your claim.

Kev

Once again this just shows how disconnected you are with your customer base . This is NOT an answer to my question . I have supplied you with the details you are asking for but it didnt help me or my Pet . I no longer have a policy with you and will NEVER again . You have allready KILLED my beloved pet . I am asking this to help others make an informed decision and your uncareing responce should be enough for most ?

Helen

Helenasked

Real Pet Insurance

please send me your email as I need to email a clients history to you.

Greenstone F.Real Insurance

Hi Helen, thanks for your enquiry. Please email real@petsure.com.au, thank you.

Gaz

Gazasked

Real Pet Insurance

Can a supervisor contact me,if you can?

Customer RelationsReal Insurance

Hi, Can you please private message me your policy details here: www.facebook.com/RSPCAPetInsurance and I can arrange for a Service Manager to contact you. Thank you

Get an answer from our members and Real Insurance representatives

Accidental Injury CoverIncludedIncludedIncluded
Illness CoverIncludedIncludedIncluded
Routine Care CoverOptional ExtraNot IncludedNot Included
Tick Paralysis$1,200$1,000Included
Emergency Boarding Fees$1,000 (you must the the sole carer and hospitalised for over 5 days in a row)$1,000 (you must the the sole carer and hospitalised for over 5 days in a row)$500
Lifetime Cover IncludedIncludedIncluded
Cooling Off Period30 Days30 Days30 Days
Consultation Fees$300$300$300
Cruciate Ligament Conditions$2,600$2,600Included
Waiting Period for Illness 30 Days30 Days30 Days
Condition Limit$2,000 per condition (Classic Accident & Illness Cover only)
Compare all 3 Real Pet Insurance