Pet Insurance Buying Guide

If your dog or cat becomes sick, pet insurance can help get the treatment they deserve. For a better idea of how pet insurance works, continue reading so you can make an informed choice.

Read now
Buying Guide Banner

Pros

• 3 types of insurance to suit a range of budgets

• Impressive customer service

• Saves money on vet bills

Cons

• Some services are excluded

• Claim Resolution Time
    • <1 week (169)
    • 1-2 weeks (169)
    • 2-4 weeks (63)
    • 1-2 months (19)
    • 3+ months (11)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (398) · No (29)

Ellen

EllenGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Fantastic service

I lodged my claim and it took less than 2 weeks for it to be resolved. The service is efficient and my policy is value for money. Very happy with Pet Insurance Australia. I recommended PIA to my family and have now signed up since.

Georgina

GeorginaSouth East Queensland, QLD

Underwriters Call the Shots!

I tried to switch from Woolworths to Pet Insurance Australia after reading the positive reviews. Got hassled five times by their marketing arm after making an initial internet inquiry. I applied and now the underwriters have complicated and stalled this switch.

I just don't have the time or energy to beg for them to take my business and Pet Insurance Australia have done nothing to help resolve the issues for me. I now also don't have much confidence they would be helpful if I needed to make a claim.

I have a healthy three year old dog. I've never made a claim. No reason not to insure him.

So my advice is don't waste your time.

Claim MadeNo
Jen

JenGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Excellent, as usual.

I've insured my dog for more than 12 years with PIA and never regretted my decision. Claims get processed quickly, even during the very busy X'mas/New Year period. Very much appreciated!

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Thanks, Jen for posting your PIA feedback and for being such a loyal customer. I hope your dog is doing well? Have a wonderful week.

Anna

AnnaGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Good customer service, good value, very easy to claim from the second times

I've been a customer of "Pet Insurance Australia" for long time... I've dogs and cats and they're covered by PIA . I also made a claims few times for my different pets and very easy to do , Customer Service are very helpful as well. However, something changed these times as PIA didn't cover the food which hospital feeding my cat when he had been at hospital.. I know food shouldn't covered by insurance but only whenever I buying to bring home, Insurance need to covered all of food when the Pets staying Hospital or Vet as they're Special Food from Hospital or Vet as we can't buying any foods from outside to give them to feed for Pets. Before PIA were coved everything but they didn't covered these, it's so strange

Number of Pets5 pets
Pet Type(s) InsuredCat and Dog
PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Anna, thanks for taking the time to post your feedback on PIA. I hope your pets are doing well? I'd like to have a supervisor take a look at your claim and reach out asap to have this resolved. Have a great week.

Iggs

Iggs

Extremely efficient at finalising claims.

During a very stressful time with my dog's serious illness it was a huge help to have claims made easy by the gap system with vets. Been with PIA 3 years.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Thanks, Iggs for sharing your PIA experience. I hope your dog is doing well and recovering from their illness? Have a wonderful day.

trampoline

trampolineSouth East Queensland, QLD

Thank goodness for this pet insurance

A quick, easy, online claim, and immediate peace of mind after our dog ate something he shouldn't have, and needed emergency surgery and days of expensive veterinary intensive care. Wonderful.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Thanks, Trampoline for taking the time to review PIA. I hope your dog is doing well after surgery? Sending them a big PIA cuddle from the team. Have a lovely weekend.

julie f

julie fSydney, NSW

Very pleased with the claims process

This is the first time I have ever made a claim on pet insurance. My dog had a sudden illness requiring specialist care for 3 nights. The surgery put the paperwork through for me & the claim was processed promptly & met my expectations of what I was covered for. It was done very quickly & payment was in my account before I received the paperwork. I made one phone call to follow up something that had not been submitted & the staff member was very helpful. I submitted the missing page & it was processed promptly. I would recommend based on the professionalism I have experienced.

Number of Pets-1 pets
PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Thanks, Julie for sharing your PIA experience on Product Review. I'll be sure to share your comments with the hardworking pet-loving team at PIA. Have a wonderful day.

Really did cover 80% of the bill!

I always resented those fortnightly payments coming out of my bank until my dog fell sick one day out of the blue. $2000 later in vet costs I was a little stressed to say the least. Ended up getting around $1600 back without any questions. Was really impressed!

Misleading information

Provided the company with every conceivable details about my rescue dogs when signing up but when the time came to make a claim, they wanted details all over again which was really inconvenient (as after 13 years i can't find the adoption papers so need to find my email to them because it's not good enough I've already sent it to them when I signed up) but I only found out I needed to do this when I called weeks later to see how the claim was progressing to be told this. It's lazy and duplicating work for everyone on info everyone has.

Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Claim ApprovedNo

The right Decision

I took out Pet Insurance with PIA with a great deal of scepticism as to wether or not it was the right decision for me. At not quite 8 months of age my puppy was struck down with a rare infection and needed emergency and Specialist hospitalisation and treatment. PIA have been amazing, they have processed all claims quickly and professionally. My decision to join this fund was definitely the right one! The total bill was very big but my “gap” portion very small as I only paid about 20%. I haven’t been a member for very long but intend to stay a member for the lifetime of my pet now, very grateful.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Thanks cecwch for taking the time to post your PIA experience. I hope your puppy has made a full recovery. Have a lovely week.

Bake

Bake

Glad we had insurance

We found it easy to submit claim and claim paid out fairly quickly.
Peace of mind to have pet insurance cover
We have been covered by PIA for quite awhile now and had a problem with one of our claims but the other 3 have been good

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Thanks, Bake for taking the time to post your PIA feedback. I hope your pets are doing well? Have a lovely day.

Positive experiences with PIA

We have been with PIA for 6 years and made several claims for things we never would have imagined happening. PIA has responded quickly and made the process easy. Thankyou

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Thanks, Lisa for your review on PIA. Have a great week.

This is perfect! The peace of mind is worth far more then the monthly fee

Claim MadeNo
mochimum

mochimumPerth, WA

Peace of Mind

Peace of Mind!

I am so glad I purchased pet insurance, it gave me complete peace of mind when my beloved dog needed emergency intervention on a Sunday. My claim was easy to lodge and completed in less than 5 days.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Thanks, RachelLR for taking the time to review PIA on Product Review. I hope your pet has made a fully recovery from their surgery? Have a lovely day.

Freedom of 76Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

Communication awful

Claim ApprovedNo
Freedom of 76

Update on this, have now been contacted twice this week requesting information I have already provided to PIA via email and via the portal. I have requested acknowledgment of one email which was not provided. Truly a hassle-filled experience.

Freedom of 76

The policy number is actually listed above? PI08523950. Thanks.

Fabulous Freddie

Fabulous Freddie Richmond-Tweed, NSW

Super Happy... this is an excellent service such a life saver to have this insurance

This policy is good value and very easy to set up
I have lodged many claims and very prompt to resolve them as our Freddie has many allergies which is on going
I’ve been with pet insurance for 2 1/2 years now and very are happy ... thanks PIA

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Fabulous Freddie! What a wonderful photo! We simply love the bowtie. It's great to hear that PIA is taking the itch out of the allergies for you. Have a great day.

Communication poor

Claim took some time to finalise due to misplaced documentation and poor communication of documentation required. Had to contact vet several times for invoice and receipt. Transfer of money on approval of claim was timely.

Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Peta, thanks for your feedback I'll be sure to send this over to my team to resolve. Would you like me to have a supervisor reach out asap? I'll just need the policy number. Thanks, have a great day.

Brad Jenkinson

Brad JenkinsonSydney, NSW

It's always easy and fast to claim with Pet Insurance Australia. I'm taking care of a very ill cat, and the last thing I want to do is mess about with administrative problems when I'm sitting in the emergency department with him, so PIA have helped me keep focused on what matters the most. Thanks so much guys - I can't tell you how much I've appreciated your support...

Jack R.

Jack R.Sydney, NSW

I've been a customer for 10 years for both my pets and the experience I've had with PIA has been extremely positive, hence why I haven't even thought of changing my insurance provider. They have also streamlined the process for claims processing making it a breeze to get my refund.
Now, my oldest dog has been diagnosed with cancers and PIA has been great in the whole process. Not only have they managed the whole claim without any issues, they have also followed up with a concern for my pets well being.
The personal touch makes the whole experience much more pleasant.

Georgina

Georginaasked

Pet Insurance Australia

What are people paying per month without these 'free months' inducements? I did an online quote for 2 free months and just got a phone quote for 3 free months and the premiums were different ie. you pay more for more free months. Effectively there are no free months as the loss is added onto the premiums.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Georgina. The two months free is spread over the 12mnths contract to give you savings each month. The three months free is 3mnths upfront, then normal premiums for the remaining year. I hope this has helped? Have a lovely weekend. Feel free to send me some contact information and I can have a policy expert reach out.

Dani

Daniasked

Pet Insurance Australia

Can you briefly explain the excess? If I have a $200 excess does that mean it is not worth claiming anything that is less than $200? How does that work with routine care?

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Dani. Thanks for reaching out. There is no excess on Routine Care. You can choose your level of excess ($0, 100, $200). The Excess applies per Condition per Policy Period and will be deducted for the benefit. I hope this has helped? Please let me know if you would like a PIA Policy Expert to reach out via phone. Have a great day.

gigit

gigitasked

Pet Insurance Australia

When you submit a claim, would the following year's insurance premium increase a lot? If so, what is the percentage of increase?

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Gigit. Thanks for reaching out. Our premiums will increase from year to year, and there is no exact amount set. It depends on various situations. Every year, we review the cost of everyone’s insurance with regards to a combination of factors as well as claims inflation across all our insured pets. Increases in our claims costs due to increases in the range of available veterinary procedures, or due to increased take-up of those services, impacts everyone’s premiums.

Your premium takes into account the average cost of care for pets like yours. To provide an example of this, a pet parent with a three-year-old French Bulldog will be affected by the trends we see in our data from hundreds of three-year-old French Bulldogs that we insure, as well as the specific claims history of their own pet.

I hope this has been of some help? Please let me know if you would like me to have a PIA Policy Expert reach out. Have a lovely day.

Get an answer from our members and Pet Insurance Australia representatives

Features:

• Three types of insurance for your dog or cat: Pet Essentials Cover, Comprehensive Cover, and Major Medical Cover
  • You can insure your pet for life, but your pet needs to be between the ages of 8 weeks and 9 months
  • The three covers range in comprehensiveness. For example, Pet Essentials Cover only reimburses up to $1000 on veterinary treatments, whereas the Major Medical Cover refunds up to 80%.
  • There’s a 21-day cooling-off period, so you if you change your mind, you’re not locked into a contract
  • Discounted insurance available for multiple pets, with a maximum discount of up to 15% for 4 or more
  • Insurance fees depend on the breed, age, and pre-existing conditions of your pet. You can request a quote by filling in your pet’s details via a form on the website
  • Flexible premiums offer cheaper insurance – but means you’ll be paying a higher excess fee

What reviewers liked about Pet Insurance Australia:

• The easy-to-use online claims system was a recurring point of praise, due to rapid processing times and claim payouts. Additionally, the “GapOnlyTM” insurance scheme made it possible to process claims on the spot at participating vets.
  • Reviewers praised Pet Insurance Australia for being open and honest about the terms of their insurance coverage – most people weren’t caught off guard by hidden fees
  • Investing in pet insurance brought about peace of mind, as there was comfort in knowing that pets would be covered in the event of illness or accident
  • Reviewers were relieved to save significant amounts of money that would’ve been spent on vet bills.

Points to consider:

• It’s important to do your research, as you’ll find there are certain services that Pet Insurance Australia doesn’t cover. Pre-existing conditions, cancer conditions, and dental procedures are some of the services that are excluded.
  • Insurance fees increase each year as your pet ages.

2021 ProductReview Awards logo

Having a beloved pet fall ill or get involved in an accident is already stressful enough, which is why pet insurance can help. Pet Insurance Australia, winner of the Pet Insurance Category in 2021, 2019 and 2018, has proven to be a pet insurer that consumers can rely on, due to its outstanding customer service and admirable transparency.

Compare all 3 Pet Insurance Australia