Pet Insurance Australia

Pet Insurance Australia

Very happy with PIA

We've had our 4 year old American Bulldog insured with PIA for the last 3.5 years. We made several claims (she had to have TTAs on both knees). No dramas. The claims were processed quickly and without any hassles.

Renewal of my Policy - Rude customer service

I have rung twice to the customer service team at Pet Insurance Australia only to be treated rudely. I was enquiring about why my policy renewal has increased so much. I can get a lower price on their website for my dog without any promotion. The lady on the phone was so rude in saying that pre-existing conditions will not be covered if you were to take up that new policy because my take went to the vet for skin irritation to a poo bottom. Not something that is a pre-existing condition.

Bad
Terrible
Claim Made:No
Book AgainNo

Very disappointed. No claim has been paid.

No claim we have made has been honoured. We've had 3 claims for really simple things. All denied. Do not insure your pet with them, you will only get excuses instead of money.

Claim ApprovedNo
Hi Aggie. I'm sorry to hear of your frustrations with claims and i'd love to help. Can I please grab your policy number and i'll have a supervisor make contact asap. Thanks, have a great day.Hi there, it is PIC20067062/ 1,2 & 3

Claims paid... too easy!

We’ve had our Rottweiller insured with PIA since bringing him home as a 12 week old puppy, in 2012.Only one claim until September 2018 when our beautiful boy was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma. We chose amputation and chemo for treatment. PIA paid every claim without question. They even noticed that in Feb 2019 there was a claim for eunthasia and cancelled his policy. If we get another dog we will definitely use PIA again. Just make sure you supply the correct paperwork!

Claim DateDecember 2018
Claim ApprovedYes
Thanks Kim for sharing your PIA story. Have a wonderful weekend.

Was very pleased with my claim refund prompt efficient service had my refund in a few days I’ve been with this insurance company for a couple of years hassel free

Claim DateJanuary 2019
Claim ApprovedYes
Thanks Jullz for your review. Have a great day.

Terrible customer service. A pain to submit a claim.

I have been with PIA since April 2018. My two year old boxer has only been to the vet for being spayed, vaccinations and flea/tick/worm tablets. I have had to submit a claim for an injury and keep getting repetitive messages to submit vet history when PIA has all the documentations regarding spaying, vaccinations and tablets. The customer service representatives are unhelpful and just re-read what you can already see on the portal. They do not transfer you to anyone in the claims department and I am currently on a very long "hold" to speak with a supervisor. Very disappointed. I do not want to have to keep calling every few days to chase up a claim especially when all the documentation has been provided.

Insurance claim madeYes
I Maryum, i'm sorry to hear of your problems with your claim process and i'd love to help. Can I please grab your policy number and i'll have a supervisor make contact asap. Thanks, have a great day.

Overseas call centre experience was painful and unhelpful

Have been with PIA for 7 months, and made claims for my 2 cats for their blood and pee tests. While I wasnt expecting much to be reimbursed because of pre-existing conditions and dental work, I am appalled that my cat's 'vomiting' is a condition. I had to call up to ask what happens if there were future problems found with my cat, given that vomiting is a symptom to so so many conditions, if I will be able to claim from any newly found condition, now that PIA has asserted my cat has a vomiting condition. I've also submitted documents to prove that I've done plenty of tests to find out why she vomits, and nothing sinister came back, she's super healthy. My email didnt come back for almost 2 months, and even after I reminded and resent the email, the communication has already broken down - they seem to have totally forgotten what I asked in the first place, and I've spent over an hour speaking with the operator who promised to get back to me ASAP!
I still tried to purchase a 3rd insurance for my newly adopted cat, and I dont understand why I had to do it over the phone and not online. The operator could not make any sense at all. I've specifically requested to not have payment made over the phone, and the operator said he's not the one processing the payment because the system has my bank details and will process the payment. WOW. Mind blown by this. The system processing the payment does not equate to payment made over phone? What?! I'm gonna need to call the bank up and block this scary system who has my bank details and can make decisions on its own.
I read the policies in great detail and just needed some simple clarifications. Didnt know why it was so hard.
Held back my horses and am going to source another insurance company that hopefully has a local call center and can make sense.
Absolutely not a fan of overseas call centers, no matter how cost saving they are to the company. First point of contact was already excruciating and put customers off.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Koko, i'm sorry to hear of your frustrations with the call center and i'd love to help. Can I please grab your policy number and i'll have a supervisor make contact asap. Thanks, have a great day.Update: Sydney office contacted me within a week of this review, and everything was sorted clearly over the phone. I was also gently reminded that annual renewals would be communicated 2-4 weeks before expiry and would be auto deducted if policy is not cancelled. It was a breeze talking to Becca without having to listen to every word of the policy disclaimer being read out like it was with overseas call center. I ended up still buying my 3rd cat's insurance with PIA because Aussie's pet insurance market is currently dominated by either Petplan or Petsure, so.. welp. I would edit review to 5 stars if I could liaise with local call centers every time. I know it's more costly but the training, communication, service and knowledge are worlds apart. The level of care and concern from the staff matched the policy package I signed up for (maximum coverage) and made a huge difference in assuring my cats were taken care of.

No Regrets!

We have been with Pet Insurance for 2 and half years. We had to make a rather large claim due to a brown snake bite. The ordeal was very traumatic but dealing with Pet Insurance wasn't, it was such a breeze, we provided everything Pet Insurance needed and then received prompt reimbursement.
We are extremely happy with Pet Insurance and would highly recommend them! They are worth every penny as vet bills are not cheap.
We would have never forgiven ourselves if we had to say goodbye to our gorgeous dog Razor because we couldn't afford to have saved his life.
No Regrets!!

Insurance claim madeYes
Thanks Nat for sharing your PIA story. I hope Razor has recovered from his snake bite ordeal, it must have been very scary and it's lovely to know that PIA was able to help and take a little stress away. Have a wonderful day.

Good pet insurance

Been with you for a few years now and have never had a problem with a claim and it has always been paid promptly.

Insurance claim madeYes
Thanks Bronwyn for your review. Have a great day.

Always have been quick with refund. So easy to do online thanks to the amazing staff talking me thro

About 4 years and have been very happy with fast refunds and excellent phone help when we have needed it for our greyhound Billy

Insurance claim madeYes
That's wonderful news. Hope Billy is doing well. Have a great afternoon.

Excellent service as always

My latest dealings with PIA were again very positive. From seeking pre approval for surgery needed for my dog to the claim process and refund, all went smoothly and efficiently with the claim being paid promptly.

Insurance claim madeYes
Thanks Julie B for sharing your PIA story. I hope your precious pooch is doing well after surgery. Have a great afternoon.

Best pet insurance

I have been with PIA for a little over 10 years.
During this time I have found them to offer exceptional customer service. Claims are always processed quickly snd staff are helpful.
The new portal system is great.
While premiums have increased drastically over the past few years I still find this insurance to be well worth the cost. I have been able to provide my dog with lifesaving surgery that would not have been affordable without the security of pet insurance.
My one complaint would be that cover dropped from 100% to 80% some time ago. Though this does seem to be the industry standard now.

Insurance claim madeYes
Thanks Alex for your feedback on PIA. I'll be sure to pass this over to our team. I hope your dog is doing better after surgery? Have a great afternoon.

Best insurance policy I have ever had!

I have been with Pet Insurance Australia for 4 years. Admittedly this is my first claim however it was such a smooth and easy on line application process. Pet Insurance Australia paid my claim in one business day. Very much appreciated given high vet bills amongst other bills. Thank you Pet Insurance Australia.

Insurance claim madeYes
Thanks Summer for taking the time to review PIA. Have a wonderful day.

413% policy inflation in one year.... really?

I have been with PIA since Jed was 8wks old. Initially I had comprehensive cover but with the premiums rising at least $200 annually, I had to bump it back to Accident Only. Just received my annual renewal for Accidental Cover (only) for my 4yo dog. Last year I paid $172. This years renewal came in at $711!!! I called the call centre to check if it was a mistake. It seems I'm the only one that thinks an increase of that amount in one year is ridiculous. Have made no accident claims. Cancelling the policy.

Insurance claim madeNo
Hi Trish. I'd like to get a supervisor to take a look at this for you. Can you please provide me with your policy number and i'll get a team member to reach out asap. Thanks, have a great day.Received a call from PIA to tell me there had been an error in my renewal and it has now been adjusted. Thank-you to the lovely [so sorry I've forgotten your name] for sorting it out. Great costumer service right there. Thanks Trish. That's wonderful news. Have a great day.

Very disappointed

Very disappointed in PIA, my 13 week puppy was refused cover as she spewed once and I took her to the vet as a precaution. They would not insure her against any stomach issues in the future. I had my vet confirm no health issues in relation to the visit. I guess I shouldn't have been so careful, and left it, leaving her with no vet history.... and thus insurance would cover her.

Insurance claim madeNo
Hi Sophie, i'm sorry to hear of this and i'd love to help and put you in contact with a supervisor. Can you please provide me with your policy number? Thanks, have a lovely day.

Highly recommend Pet Insurance Australia

We have been with Pet Insurance Australia for 4 years. Just recently needed to make a claim, this has been stress free, staff very helpful and caring. My dog will back to normal after surgery. Thank you for making the claim process so easy and without any hassles

Insurance claim madeYes
Thanks Bronte for sharing your PIA experience. Have a wonderful day.

Delay delay delay

We started with PIA in April 2018. Unfortunately we had a need to lodge a claim within about 2 weeks. That was denied due to 30 day claim policy. Effectively means you aren't covered for the first 30 days. Nonetheless it was not a large amount so accepted this. However a few weeks later our dog become very ill from a viral complaint requiring overnight hospitalisation, drips etc Upon getting her home and on the road to recovering in late May we then commenced the claim process.This 'process took 3 months and another month to make the payment. The process saw PIA repetitively ask for the same documentation each week or a subtle variation of this. It appeared an automated response was generated as every time we responded we received another request. They had all the necessary information to complete the claim with the first month yet proceeded to delay and delay the payment. I was concerned they were insolvent and couldn't make the payment but given their premiums I suspect a very profitable business. Several months have passed since this event so my feelings have abated and probably only reason they dont get one star.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Mark, i'm sorry to hear of your PIA experience and i'd love to put you in contact with a supervisor. Can I please have your policy number and i'll have someone reach out asap? Thanks, have a lovely day.

Very fast payout with the correct paperwork!

I only got pet insurance for my maltalier dog in October 2018 after hearing from other dog owners how expensive veterinary bills can be in Australia. I am covered by their Major Medical Plan, which covers Routine Care. I submitted a claim on New Year's Eve for Flea, Tick, Worm and Heartworm Treatments and was paid ($45 + $50 per annum) within 2 business days. I wasn't sure if my receipt from the local pet shop would be accepted rather than a Vet receipt, but that is where I purchased the treatments. It was accepted no problems. I found it easy to take a photo of the receipt with my phone and upload to submit online. (Some older clients might find this more difficult however) I did read the email from PIA about the policy which said that you must submit a full veterinary history when submitting your first claim, so on a recent vet visit, I gathered this information and sent it with my claim. (Within 2 weeks of the vet visit as instructed). I hope all claims in future will be this easy. Thanks PIA.

Insurance claim madeYes
Thanks Rhonda for your review and advice. Have a wonderful day.

We have been with PIA for more than 2 years. Recently we have lost our beautiful German Shepard, Mojo to heart cancer. PIA was very professional and processed our claim without any issues. We are going through difficult time so thank you for making this process easy.

Insurance claim madeYes
Thanks Magdalena for taking the time to share your PIA story during such a sad time. So sorry to hear of the loss of Mojo. Have a lovely day.

Great result

I have been with PIA for four years. Our young dog has been diagnosed with kidney disease and PIA have covered the costs. I found the process of lodging the claim straight forward once I’d provided all the necessary documentation. I am very pleased with them.

Insurance claim madeYes
Thanks Sue for your review and taking the time to comment on PIA. I hope your precious pup is doing well.

I have a 15 week old puppy. When i first brought her home she developed diarrhoea in the first few days due to change in diet and anxiety due to the change. After taking her to the vet, she was fine after 3 days. She also had the beginning stage of an ear infection so I got medication for that too. My question is; will the diarrhoea and ear infection be a pr existing condition?

Does your insurance policy cover IVDD?
Hi Ros. The policy does not cover any Pre-existing conditions prior to the policy commencement or any signs or symptoms that have occurred during the Waiting period. IVDD (intervertebral disc disease) is also excluded on the accidental injury cover only policies (so make sure you read the PDS and ensure you understand exactly what your precious pups are covered for and what your policy allows - you can find this here https://www.petinsuranceaustralia.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/PIA-PDS-eff-2018_06_29_Online.pdf). PIA's assessment of known issues with specific breeds (e.g. bad backs) are taken into account in the premium calculation. IVDD is covered in our Major Medical Policy. Hope this helps.

I am going overseas and leaving my dog with a friend to look after for 3 weeks. If she would need emergency care/ treatment during that period would my friend be able to put the claim in on my behalf and inform the vet that the dog is comprehensively insured under your company ? Thanks
Hi Lily. You can add your friend as an Authorised person on the policy. As an Authorised person, they can submit claims on behalf of the policy holder and also inquire about claim status and outcome. However, the Authorised person cannot make any changes to the policy. Hope this helps. Have a great Christmas

Similar listings