Pet Insurance Buying Guide

If you're a pet owner, you probably agree there’s nothing worse than your dog or cat getting sick or hurt. But what happens when vet bills are sky high? Pet insurance can grant you peace of mind, helping your pet get the treatment they deserve, without sending you broke.

Read now

4.1

1,344 reviews

Lana

Lana

Really quick and efficient no hassle turnaround

I made a claim to PIA via my vet after my dog had to receive urgent care and an overnight stay. PIA processed the claim quickly and efficiently with no hassle at all. Highly recommend PIA. They even followed up with me to see how my dog was doing which was a nice touch.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Thanks, Lana for your feedback on PIA. I hope your dog is doing well and has made a full recovery. I'll be sure to pass on your lovely comments to the team. Have a great day.

Jen

JenGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Best insurer on the market.

I've been with PIA for 12+ years. I've only had excellent, worry-free experiences. Lately, technology makes it even easier (the vet makes a claim directly for me or I can use the Pet Portal) and claims are processed in a couple of days without fuss.

All I focus on is for my dog to recover and thrive. Thanks to PIA I can do this without worries.

I recommend for everyone with a beloved pet to buy a policy BEFORE they turn 9 y.o. and ideally, before they have a long list of pre-existing problems. You won't regret taking out a policy with PIA and your pets deserve this!

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Thanks, Jen for sharing your PIA experience and for being such a loyal customer. Have a fantastic day.

Frances

FrancesSouth East Queensland, QLD

Best value Insurance I have ever bought

I purchased the insurance when my pup was 3 months old, and have now been with PIA nearly 6 and half years. Over this time I have lodged multiple claims, all resolved with in a week. The online system is simple to do (my regular vet does it for me but the specialist vet claims I do myself) and lately I have found that the refunds are in my account within a couple of days.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Thanks, Frances for taking the time to post your feedback on PIA. I hope your precious dog is doing well? Have a fantastic week.

Wendy

WendyPerth, WA

Eight years of great service

Thank you to PIA when Taió has been sick they have made life easy with claims being dealt with efficiently and quickly sometimes by the end of the week, would recommend them to anyone, excellent for Pet Insurance

Number of Pets2 pets
PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Thanks, Wendy for your review, recommendation, and for being a loyal customer for so many years. I hope Taió is doing well? Have a great day.

Nicky Ameron

Nicky AmeronPerth, WA

fantastic prompt service and super fast claim processing

I have been with PIA since I got my beloved Coco a staffi in 2013.
I have made quite a few claims in that time and have always received my rebates within 2 to 3 days of lodging the claim, which I think is fantastic service.
The lodging of a claim is very quick and easy via the online portal.
I have asked a few questions in that time via email and received a reply the same day.
Once Coco reached 9 they offered me an option to save on premiums by accepting a lower % rebate, which I appreciated.
Coco is now on medication for life and I am grateful I have insurance with PIA as I know she can get the care she needs when she needs it and I don't have to wait to get a rebate
Thanks PIA

Nicky

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Thanks, Nicky for taking the time to post about your experience with PIA. Sending Coco a big cuddle from the team. Have a wonderful day.

Ease of claiming

We have had 3 policies with PIA covering 2 dogs and 1 cat. After initial history gathering, we have found claiming insurance to be very easy. Our vet lodges the claim and within a few days PIA send a confirmation email and then a few days later the claim is paid with a follow up email to explain the invoice.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Thanks, Susie for sharing your PIA claiming experience. I hope your pets are doing well? Have a wonderful week.

Mr Grant Jackson

Mr Grant JacksonSydney, NSW

Great cover and great service

I took the policy out when I bought my toy poodle. Price was competitive but most importantly when I had to make a claim it was seamless and an amazing quick turnaround. Very happy

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Thanks, Mr Grant Jackson for sharing your PIA experience. Have a great day.

SJ

SJSouth East Queensland, QLD

Great coverage and fast claims

Couldn't be happier with PIA and their coverage and service. Claims are processed so quickly either in my vet's office or in a couple of days after lodgement. I'm so thankful my dog's medication is covered. Thank you so much.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Thanks, SJ for taking the time to post your review. Have a great day.

Alitreboy

Alitreboy

They tried to scam me

I have PIA insurance for my French bulldog for while and I got a new pup in few days ago and i checked PIA quote on PIA website and its say $31.20 for Major Medical Cover and its say need to ring PIA to add another pet so I did. Michael on the phone say its will cost $35.20 per month include 2nd pet discount?!

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Alitreboy, I'm sorry to hear about your thoughts about PIA. Do you have your policy number handy and I'll have a supervisor take a look and reach out asap. Thanks.

Julie

JulieSydney Surrounds, NSW

The Best Pet Insurance

My little dog has had major issues and had to have an operation. If I did not have this insurance I would not have been able to afford for her to have the operation. PIA is easy to deal with and pays your claims promptly. I can highly recommend this company as it is by far the cheapest pet insurance you will find.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Thanks, Julie for reviewing PIA. I hope your dog is doing well? Have a great week.

AllisonSouth East Queensland, QLD

A necessary part of pet ownership

Having my dog, Nutmeg, insured with PIA for 6 years has been an easy, worry free interaction. No matter what may happen, I know there is a safety net in place. Very necessary for any pet owner and especially now as an aged pensioner.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Thanks, Allison for sharing your feedback on PIA and the importance of pet insurance. I hope Nutmeg is doing well? Have a fantastic week.

K Jenkins

K JenkinsPerth, WA

Extremely Happy

My Dachshund George had had 2 serious problems in the last 6 months, thank goodness I had insurance with PIA. The claim process was very simple and I was very happy with the amounts I received back. I have been with PIA since I got George 6 years ago and have never had any problems at all.

Number of Pets-1 pets
PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Thanks, K Jenkins for posting your feedback on PIA. I hope George is doing well. Have a great week.

Mignon A

Mignon AGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Thank god for pet insurance!

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateMarch 2020
PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Thanks, Mignon for taking the time to review PIA on Product Review. I hope Dolly is doing well and made a full recovery. It must have been a terribly frightening experience. Sending Dolly a big PIA cuddle from the team. Have a wonderful week.

NathanD

NathanDSouth West, WA

So glad I went with PIA

In the year we have been with PIA they have been great. Most of the time paying claims within 2 days, larger claims have been up to a week. Our frenchie recently spent 4 days in an emergency vet and they even emailed to check up and see how he was recovering, fantastic service.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Thanks, NathanD for your lovely comments. I'll be sure to pass this over to the hardworking pet-loving team at PIA. I hope your precious Frenchie is doing well? Have a fantastic day.

Rochelle

RochelleGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Good value for money and very professional

Getting pet insurance for our first pet so I thought it would be complicated but it took me only a few minutes to sign up for the insurance. Within 3 months our dog had to undergo surgery. The vet put through the claim and within days our claim was processed. It was well worth every penny as no stress at all.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Thanks, Rochelle for taking the time to post your review. I hope your dog has made a full recovery after surgery. Have a great week.

Yodis Mum

Yodis MumMid West, WA

So glad I chose PIA to cover my fur(less) baby

Having a sick pet is stressful enough. I am so thankful I have pet insurance with PIA. My fur(less) sphynx baby became very unwell recently and needed emergency surgery and several follow up trips to the vet. Thanks to PIA for making the claim process quick and easy. I have recommended PIA to all my friends who have fur babies.

Pet Type(s) InsuredCat
PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Thanks, Yodis Mum for sharing your PIA experience and high recommendation. Yodi is just beautiful! Sending him a big cuddle from the PIA team. Have a wonderful week.

Concerned

ConcernedSouth-Eastern Region, NSW

Very fast claims! Highly recommend!

After only having our first pet insurance set up for a month or so, our gorgeous dog had to receive emergency treatment and a few ongoing treatments. All claims were received and processed within days! Even the quite substantial one. You never know what costs may pop up and having this piece of mind at such a reasonable price is great!

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Thanks for taking the time to review PIA. I hope your precious pooch is on the mend and making a good recovery. Have a great week.

m luton

m lutonWide Bay-Burnett, QLD

Great Peace of Mind

Policy is really good value even though we had a hiccup at the beginning. A substantial claim was made and paid out within a week , very impressed. This is our first year with Pet Insurance and no one should be without it as you never know what can happen.

Claim DateMarch 2020
PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Thanks M Luton for your feedback on the PIA service. Have a great day.

Vicky

VickyGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Love Pet Australia Insurance, highly recommended on quick and efficient services

Lodged a claim during these challenging 2020 COVID times and was processed in a fortnight. Love Pet Australia Insurance. Pet Portal was so easy to use and load documents. Thank you!

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Thanks Vicky for taking the time to post your feedback on PIA with Product Review. I hope your pet is doing well? Have a great day.

Quick claims, fair treatment and easy to deal with.

Well worth the money to protect our little guy. It meant that when things went wrong we could afford the expensive vet fees. I would recommend insuring from the minute you pick up your puppy.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Thanks, Nick for your comments and recommendation. Have a wonderful day.

Allisonasked

Pet Insurance Australia

I have had my dog insured with PIA for 6 years and have had nothing but great interactions. Can I ask about any exclusions of cover now that she is getting older? The vet has mentioned cruciate disease.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Allison. I hope your lovely golden oldie is doing well. You can have a Pre-authorisation done before they go ahead with CL surgery to ensure the condition will be covered. Generally speaking, CL conditions are coverable under the Pet Insurance provided it is not a pre-existing condition and the condition did not show signs/ symptoms within the waiting period (6 months for CL) or before the policy commences. I'd love to pop you in contact with a PIA Customer Service Representative so we can look into your policy and organize the pre-authorization? Can I please have your policy number? Thanks, have a wonderful day.

Allison

Thank you but I don't know whether an op is recommended yet or whether I would choose to go down that road. I really only wanted to be sure that after all these years of paying premiums, that my dog is still covered for the same things that she has been covered for previously.

Rikki-Lee C.

Rikki-Lee C.asked

Pet Insurance Australia

I have a 1 year old puppy we’ve adopted (cocker spaniel) and she has possible potential for hip dysplasia
I’m wanting to take out pet insurance but as it’s pre-exisiting I’m wondering if this is something you would still be able to cover- she’s only been for 1 scan at awl and it was potential but needs re-scan soon as she wasn’t 1 when she had the scan initially

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Rikki-Lee, thanks for reaching out.

Unfortunately, this would be classed as a pre-existing condition as there are possible symptoms. However, you can apply for a pre-existing condition review after 18 months provided your precious Cocker Spaniel is symptom/ sign free but that does not guarantee the pre-existing condition will be lifted. I hope this has been of some help. Have a wonderful day.

Jan R.

Jan R.asked

Pet Insurance Australia

Hello, I have a 3yo female japanese spitz who is having a ACL op on monday, If we are to insure her and another ACL requires treatment or an operation si that second one covered.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Jan, I'm sorry to hear of your Japanese Spitz ACL surgery and I hope she is doing well.  Unfortunately, this would fall under our bilateral conditions. This means any Condition affecting body parts of which the Pet has at least two, one each side of the body (e.g. ears, eyes, knees, cruciate ligaments). Note: When applying a Benefit Limit or exclusion, a Bilateral Condition will be considered a single Condition. For example: if your Pet displays clinical signs of a cruciate ligament Condition in the left leg prior to the Commencement Date of the policy or during the Waiting Period, Vet Expenses for a subsequent cruciate ligament Condition in the right leg will not be covered. I hope this has been of some help. Have a lovely day

Get an answer from our members and Pet Insurance Australia representatives