Pet Insurance Australia

Pet Insurance Australia

4.1 from 1,024 reviews

Excellent Service at stressful time

Our poor Spoodle was incredibly ill and needed hospitalisation after an infection in his neck that was nearly fatal. After weeks of treatment, care, antibiotics and surgery he has made a full recovery. Pet Insurance Australia paid the claim quickly and efficiently and helped us provide our dog with the care he needed as a much loved part of our family.

Claim ApprovedYes

Extremely happy with the service from PIA!!!

I am very happy with P.I.A...the pet portal makes it super easy to claim! I have been with the insurance company nearly 2 years...have had an ongoing claim with one of my dogs for the last few months (chemo treatments) so quick to lodge a claim and receive payment! Recently made another claim with my second dog...and again..super fast and easy! :)

Great pet insurance +++++

Great cover for our pets and easy to deal with when making a claim. This was our first time claiming for a surgery worth $3500 and they covered minus excess, its already paid for itself. Great coverage for cost and nothing is ever a problem.

Number of Pets5 pets
Claim ApprovedYes

Peace of Mind is worth the money

I have always received excellent service and prompt response to claims lodged for my two pet cats and have been with PIA for about 5-6 years. Communication and reimbursement is prompt and efficient. I do find the annual increases extremely excessive and as my pets are 14+ years old I have no alternative as I would not be able to get cover elsewhere at their age. Besides I think all pet insurance premiums are pretty well much aligned across the board. Also I did have one issue where I disagreed with a decision not to pay a claim and elevated it through PIA and eventually to the Ombudsmen. I did not get reimbursed and I still disagree with the decision, but at least every effort was made by PIA to action. Otherwise I am completely happy and very glad I have insurance. It gives a wonderful sense of peace of mind, especially now one of my cats has been diagnosed with cancer, the diagnosis and ongoing treatment is very costly, initially to confirm with scans, biopsies, blood tests etc. But PIA paid promptly as always. I would not hesitate to recommend them.

Pet Type(s) InsuredCat

I need more stars..

I don't want to make this sound like I'm only saying it for people to purchase PIA insurance for the pets. So I am speaking from my heart. I absolutely adore my pet and wouldn't be able to keep her healthy or even alive without Pet Insurance Australia. It is SO easy to put in a claim and they are so prompt with their refunds. I can not recommend PIA highly enough. If you have a pet you love do yourself a favour and let PIA help you help them.

great service

After our Jack Russell was bitten by brown snake & survived, our vet on our behalf submitted our claim and within 14 days it was paid.
this is our second claim for Bindi and both paid promptly.
could not wish for a better pet insurer always great response.

Not so smoothly

My dog cut her stomach open after she tried to jump the fence. The vet said on stitching the wound that she has also torn her crucia ligament of which will need to be operated on the following week. I submitted the claim form for the first operation and no problems at all but upon submitting the second claim form which was related to the first injury it took nearly 6 weeks and 3 phone calls. They wanted my dogs entire health history from over 8 years ago. I was not happy and felt so annoyed as I had not had this problem on previous occasions. Instead of ringing me they posted there request out twice which delayed things even more and I need the money reimbursed quickly. Other than that they are a good pet insurance option.

Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim ApprovedYes

Worst pet insurance company I have ever dealt with. If I could give 0 stars, I would.

My experience with this company has been terrible. I have put in numerous claims for relatively common dog-related things (nothing unusual that would warrant scrutiny) which are supposedly covered by my policy, and they constantly ask for more information. My vet and I have supplied them with every scrap of information about my pup and still they ask for more. I have supplied bills, vet notes, diagnosis, immunisation status- everything in my vet's file on my pup and still they ask for more. Hoping I give up. Calls go unanswered. And I have given up and am cutting my losses by cancelling the policy and finding a better company to deal with. Based on my experience, I would give this company 0 stars if I could. Such a headache, so much stress, zero service.

Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Claim DateJanuary 2019
Hi Amanda, i'm so terribly sorry to hear of your experience and i'd love to put you in contact with a managing supervisor who can help restore your faith in PIA. Can I please have your policy number and i'll have someone reach out asap. Thanks, have a great day.

Longterm policy holder

I love PIA, they are attentive, empathetic to my pet and most of all payments actioned in a timely manner. I have been with PIA almost 3 years very satisfied.

Claim ApprovedYes
Thanks Mariana for taking the time to review PIA. Have a great day.

Outstanding Service

We purchased pet insurance but were unsure if we really needed it. Our 3 year old pug was run over and required emergency vet care then extensive and multiple surgeries. He was in intensive care for 5 days and in hospital for another 10. Having the insurance allowed us to make the decision to continue to save our special little man otherwise I hate to think what we would have done. At the time, we were obviously devastated and highly emotional and when the vets were explaining how much all of this was going to cost, it was overwhelming. We rang API to confirm we had cover etc and they were extremely empathetic and helpful. Knowing we had insurance made all the difference. It ended up costing around $17k of which API paid out 80%. Having insurance made it doable. We were reimbursed within days of the claims being lodged by the vet which was outstanding. We now have our pug home and he is on track to make a full recovery. I absolutely would recommend API and will definitely be continuing with our cover forever.

Number of Pets0 pets
Claim ApprovedYes
Thanks Lisa for sharing your heartfelt story on PIA. I hope your precious pug is doing well? Sending a big PIA cuddle from the pet loving team. Have a wonderful day.

Extremely glad I chose PIA

I was so fortunate to have gone with PIA and great value for what you get back. I researched so many other Pet insurers and read the disclosures and this one was the best compared to all, not just value for money but also what they cover also depending on what cover you choose - I had the top one. I do wish they had an extra cap on consultations on the cap they do have for the year, in case of an emergency , it is enough what they provide if it’s just check ups throughout the year however not at their fault , we had to go in multiple times so we went through the cap pretty quickly.
We had an unforeseen emergency with our dog which was extremely stressful considering how young he was and I was in and out of the vets and emergency vets every week sometimes 2-3 times a week for 4 weeks. It took 2-4 weeks in total for each claim which there was multiple of them and if I ever had a question or waiting to hear about one of my claims it was easily answered in a personal and friendly way and felt peace of mind with a phonecall and with no waiting time on the other end. I have been with PIA since 2017 and I have to say they went above an beyond to make sure we were ok. So grateful for what they have provided to us.

Claim ApprovedYes
Thanks Jess for your great feedback on PIA. Have a wonderful day.

I too would leave 0 stars if I could

I have my second claim roadblocked just like other customers on this review page. Instead of using email efficiently they used regular mail wanting never ending 'information' about the pet, the claim, etc etc. This is entirely to time waste in the hope that the customer gives up and does not pursue the claim.
I am cancelling my policy and will take out cover with another provider.
Disgraceful.

Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Claim DateDecember 2018
Claim ApprovedNo
Hi Karen, i'm really sorry to hear of your frustrations with PIA and i'd love to help get this resolved asap. Can I please grab your policy number and i'll have a supervisor make contact asap. Thanks, have a lovely day.

Good easy to use insurance

Have had insurance with PIA for 5 years now and cannot complain about service. It clearly states what you policy includes and does not include and is up to the policy holder to find the best coverage for them. The only thing I would recommend as an extra from PIA would be dental cover for dogs under a certain age. Apart from that cannot fault PIA.

Claim ApprovedYes
Thanks Jamieson for your honest review of PIA. I'll be sure to pass this over to the team. Have a wonderful day.

Great!

We joined in July last year and after one big claim, 80% of the vet bill was paid back as was estimated. The process was quick and easy and therefore cannot fault PIA so far.

Claim ApprovedYes
Thanks Melissa for taking the time to review PIA. Have a great day.

Very Happy

I have been very happy to be doing business with this company and I trust that they have my fur babies in their best interest. I appreciate the kindness of each staff member when speaking with them over the phone. I have lodged many of claims through PIA and even though they have paid on most of them it does take some time to have the claim processed. I keep receiving letters in the mail 2 or so weeks after I have submitted claim only to be told more information was required. The vets put on the invoice what they think is appropriate and if not I have always given PIA approval to contact vet surgery to get the information they require. I just wish that each time it could be handled faster but other than that we are really happy.

Claim ApprovedYes
Thanks Misty for your feedback. Have a fantastic day.

Thanks PIA - you guys were awesome to deal with.

Our Toby (Border Collie) was given weeks to live last November! Months later he is as fit and healthy as ever. Toby had 20 weeks of Chemo and felt better after the very first round, it was amazing. Thank goodness for PIA, we could not have afforded the treatment otherwise. Each week we would submit 2 invoices via the Pet Insurance portal and within 3 - 4 days the claims were paid. Having PIA has been amazing! I recommend PIA to all my family and friends with Pets, it's just not worth the risk not to have cover. Fingers crossed now that Toby beats the odds and lives for a very long time to come.

Claim ApprovedYes
Thanks Collette for sharing Toby’s heartwarming story. That’s so wonderful to hear your precious boy beat the odds! Sending Toby a big PIA cuddle - and high five - from the whole team. Have a fantastic day.

Fantastic service, easy claiming, prompt rebate, AAAAAA+

Very very satisfied with the product, promptness of service and easy claiming process as well as a very prompt rebate payment. Our Puppy is 10 months old and we have been covered for couple of stressful health problems. So happy we took out this policy.

Claim ApprovedYes
Thanks Aggie for your feedback on PIA. I hope your pup is doing well? Have a wonderful day.

Waste of money and no actual heart or care!

I have been horrified by PIAs inability to pay any claims until our gorgeous dog was put down due to heart disease at 13. The premiums have continued to escalate year upon year and had I have had the time I would have cancelled the insurance and just put money aside monthly to cover what ever was necessary for Oscar’s care. Everything was considered routine - teeth cleaning (once in 13 years) or I never got to excess as Oscar was a very healthy, well cared for pet. I won’t be taking insurance on any new pet but will set up a savings account like my children for the dog as well. I will then use this money to pay all vet bills. Guarantee over the dogs life I will be ahead. Also after putting Oscar down in March I received this email today asking for feedback, hoping we and our pet (now deceased) are well and am more than upset as he is no longer with us and consider this request to be completely inappropriate. I would not give PIA another cent!

Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Tania, i'm so sorry to hear of your loss and upset over PIA and i'd love to be able to put you in contact with a supervisor to discuss your issues with your policy? If you can please provide me your policy number I can have someone reach out asap. Thanks, have a lovely day.The dog is dead! Hence my issues. No need to look into as policy is cancelled

They have even excellent with my two monsters

We have a Siberian husky and they covered her cruciate ligament in full. Thankfully she has had nothing else wrong. Our other monster has some allergy/dermatology issue and they have covered everything, claims are actioned quickly and reimbursements have been dispersed. They also just made an error in our policy (which I didn’t notice) and contacted me to let me know and reimbursed the difference the same day.

I would recommend them.

Claim DateDecember 2018
Claim ApprovedYes
Thanks Diallwood for your review. Have a lovely day.

Competitive pricing and prompt with claims

This is a no hassle insurance company. Reviewed other insurance companies and PIA was cost competitive with good reviews. Signup was easy just need a vet to do a once over of your pet. Claim process simple and quick

Claim DateApril 2019
Claim ApprovedYes
Thanks Winniliss for your review of PIA. Have a wonderful week.

Hi Guys, After being the top scored Pet Insurer - I was about to buy a policy with you. I then started looking at how many reviews your most recent 5 star reviewers have made - funnily enough they had all only left ONE review! This looks like you guys have been leaving fake reviews to balance out your bad reviews! Can you please advise if you have been posting your five star reviews yourself?
Hi Berocca, I fear the same. A little suspect to me. Also verified customers are usually negative if you look through them.

Our 2 year old rescue dog got hit by a car when he was still in foster care before the adoption. He had to go to the vet and got transferred to the clinic for emergency ultrasound and xray because of internal bleeding. He was on medication to stop the bleeding, which luckily worked straight away, and on pain killers for a bit. The internal bleeding was found to be coming from the spleen. He is totally fine now (the accident was before Christmas 2018) and no further treatment was necessary. Would this be considered a pre-existing condition if we start a policy now? Would we need a statement from the vet saying that he is healthy and doesn't have a any remaining conditions from this accident? Please don't send a generic answer, I have read the terms and conditions but the wording on the pre-existing conditions is pretty vague from my point of view. Thanks!
If your fur baby has any issues connected to this accident, even years down the track, All insurance companies will class it as pre existing. This is exactly what the assessors are looking for to be able to reject a claim.That's kinda exactly what I'm thinking...so really no point paying for insurance if they are going to reject my claims anyway...Hi Anne. Sorry for the delay i've just seen this pop up. If the internal bleeding occurred again in the pet due to the previous motor vehicle incident injuries it would generally not be eligible for cover and bee seen as pre-existing on the Policy , but if the internal bleeding arose due to a separate condition to the motor vehicle incident then it may be eligible for cover so long as the condition is not pre-existing on the Policy which is having signs or symptoms before the Policies start date or within the applicable waiting periods which are a 30 day waiting period for illness and tick paralysis conditions and a 6 month waiting period for Cruciate ligament conditions. Also in relation to the statement or letter from the vet, we would not require this since it will be outlined in their veterinary notes if a new incident of internal bleeding occurred the reason of the occurrence. If we can be of any further assistance please feel free to email PIA. Thanks, have a great afternoon.

I have a 15 week old puppy. When i first brought her home she developed diarrhoea in the first few days due to change in diet and anxiety due to the change. After taking her to the vet, she was fine after 3 days. She also had the beginning stage of an ear infection so I got medication for that too. My question is; will the diarrhoea and ear infection be a pr existing condition?
Hi Susie, We’re sorry to hear your new pup has been unwell, and we hope she’s now on the mend. A pre-existing condition is defined as a condition that has presented first clinical signs and symptoms prior to the start of your coverage. Since the ear infection occurred before she was covered, this would be considered pre-existing if it were to reoccur in future since she would have demonstrated a pre-disposition for this particular condition before she was covered. Gastro-intestinal problems may be a little different, as there are many different things that can cause an upset stomach in puppies. If the pet had a similar bout of gastro-intestinal problems, and this is linked to the issues she has recently had, we would also be unable to cover the treatment. However, if, for example she ate something toxic and exhibited diarrhoea in future, this would be generally coverable. We do have a process to review the pre-existing condition exclusions once the policy has been in place for 18 months and no further problems have occurred. The form for this can be provided on request, by contacting our Client Services Team on 1800 043 552.” Please let us know if you require any further information.

Similar listings