Listing monitored by Pet Insurance Australia

Pros

• 3 types of insurance to suit a range of budgets

• Impressive customer service

• Saves money on vet bills

Cons

• Some services are excluded

• Claim Resolution Time
    • <1 week (199)
    • 1-2 weeks (196)
    • 2-4 weeks (70)
    • 1-2 months (23)
    • 3+ months (11)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (462) · No (36)

Liam
LiamPerth

My experience with Pet Insurance Australia

I've had my dog covered by Pet Insurance Australia since he was a puppy and unfortunately I've had to make a number of claims in the 2.5 years he's been covered.

Using the claims portal is a breeze and after having to do quite a bit of run around for the first claim, subsequent claims have been easy to submit and payment has been very quick in my experience.

Overall, I am happy with the service provide by PIA and the peace of mind it provides should my dog ever experience issues in the future.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Thanks, Liam for sharing your PIA experience on Product Review. I hope your dog is doing well? Enjoy the rest of your week.

Trina A.
Trina A.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Easy to claim & hassle free. Everybody needs to insure their pet & P.I.A. were there for me every step of the way.

Yes policy is good value & no dramas with completing all what was expected of me
Claim was submitted via my vet who use's Gap Payment. Instantaneous.
This is my 2nd year & have renewed.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Thanks, Trina for posting your review on PIA. I hope your pet is doing well? We are hearing such wonderful feedback from the GapOnly service. We are so proud to be offering this to all of our clients. Have a great day.

Other Pet Insurance

Would not be without it!!

PIA were fantastic! Claim was fast so I was able to focus on our unwell dog rather than stressing about insurance woes. As a new customer I was very happy!!

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Kristen, thanks for taking the time to post your PIA feedback. I hope your dog is doing well and has made a full recovery? Have a lovely day.

Find out how Pet Insurance Australia compares to other Pet Insurance

Do not go with that insurance they will charge you more every year even if you haven't done any claims!!!!

They recalculate the proce for your insurance every years and it goes up more then 40% of you call them they offer you to do 3months for free, but what happen in 6 years you pay 400% of the initial price??? I should never went with them they do not deserve those 5 stars review, if I have know that before I will have save $500

Laura Gondeau
Laura Gondeau

My policy number is PI11819153
I still don't understand how in 1 year it can be over $200 more then the previous year my dog only 6 what is gonna be when she will be 10.

Jodie
JodieSouth East Queensland, QLD

Highly recommended to all pet owners

Major medical was the perfect policy for our fur baby. Claim was an easy process due to the agreement between the vet surgeon and PIA. Communication was A+ Could not fault

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Jodie, thanks for taking the time to post your review on your experience with PIA. I hope your furbaby is doing well and has made a full recovery. Have a wonderful wednesday.

Best Super Funds in 2020!

Wendy Z.7 Nov 2019
best-super-funds-in-2020

Best Credit Cards in 2020!

Wendy Z.19 Nov 2019
best-credit-cards-in-2020

What Is Peer-To-Peer Lending?

Nathan S.14 Nov 2019
what-is-peer-to-peer-lending
Julie
JuliePerth, WA

Happy with recent claim

Happy with our recent claim through gap pay at our local vet for our pet dog's surgical procedure. It was straightforward and everything handled by the vet for the claim.

Claim Made Yes
Paul P.
Paul P.Perth, WA

Great insurance option

Policy was easy to organise, easily the cheapest cover i could find compared to competitors even after the initial discount rate expired. Been with PIA for about 2-3 years since we got our rescue doggo, only had one real issue that required vet care but every claim we made to remedy it was dealt with quickly and the benefit returned within a week or 2.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Thanks, Paul for taking the time to post your PIA feedback. Have a great weekend. I hope your dog is doing well.

Dave
DaveSouth East Queensland, QLD

Worth every penny

Took 2 weeks from submitting the claim to getting a payout. After such a stressful time with the dog and the money it cost us I was really pleased with the way PIA handled everything. People say pet insurance isnt worthwhile but I would never have been able to keep our dog alive without it. Submitting another claim too which is a continuation. I expect the same service from these guys again.

Cheers
Dave and Arthur Frank

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Thanks, Dave for posting your feedback on Product Review. I hope your dog is doing well? It's lovely to know PIA was able to take some of the stress away during a terrifying situation. Have a lovely day.

Rosie
RosieMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Never had a problem

Claim Made Yes
PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Thanks, Rosie for taking the time to post your PIA experience. I hope your dogs are doing well and your Dobermann has made a full recovery. Have a lovely week.

Scott B.Launceston, TAS

Goes out of their way to not pay items

My dog recently went in for surgery cause he cut his leg open. Bill was just over 1k
They went through my bill and excluded a test cause it was apparently “routine care”
The test in question was a blood test that the vet needed to to to make sure out boy could go under anaesthetic.
Even the vet was disgusted that pia wouldn't pay this as it was part of the emergency surgery.
Have spoken to multiple reps and they all stand by their decision, regardless of what the vet says.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Scott. I'm sorry to hear about your experience and I'd like a supervisor to reach out asap. Can I please have your policy number? I hope your dog is doing well after surgery.

Ece
EceGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Ridiculously expensive!

I have been with PIA for a while they were good up until I started making claims. My dog diagnosed with heart disease and he is on medication . Last year they increased my monthly installments to $160 from $110 and im up for a renewal, they increased it to $224! What a joke! Sounds like you are trying everything to make me cancel my policy. Yes you are good with the claims but who pays $224 monthly for an animal insurance. Extremely disappointed and wont be recommending to anyone.

Christine H.Murray Region, NSW

Disappointed and Disgusted

Puppies claim rejected because the day of the claim was lodged a few hours prior to cooling off period ended. Pretty disappointed that they have stood by this decision even though they were sent a full medical history from our Vets and analysis testing results. Cancelled my policy as I am not prepared to risk my money with a company like this one.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Christine, I'm sorry to hear of your upset over your policy and I'd like to have a supervisor take a look into this asap. Can I please have your policy number? Thanks, have a great day.

Christine H.

I spoke with the representative yesterday, she just wanted to give me 2 months free or a cheaper policy. Why would I bother spending anymore money or time with you guys. I have cancelled my policy and wont be back.

Ariella
AriellaCaulfield

This is a great insurance, glad I chose it

I lodged a claim when my puppy went to emergency not once but twice....I contacted the insurance and they sent me the money within 2 weeks, no questions asked... 80% of the cost reimbursed. Thanks pet insurance Australia

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Thanks Ariella for taking the time to post your feedback. I hope your puppy is doing well now? Have a wonderful Monday.

mike b
mike bIllawarra, NSW

At a very devastating time PIA have been superb !

I have been with PIA for three years and three weeks ago my beloved Pooch was diagnosed with Bone Cancer and had to have a rear leg amputated and followed up with intensive care and chemotherapy. Claims have been resolved quickly and efficiently, helpdesk superb. First class all the way. Thank you PIA !

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Thanks, Mike for sharing your PIA experience. I hope your precious pooch is doing well. It's lovely to know we were able to take some of the stress away during such a terrifying ordeal. Have a wonderful weekend.

CMPSydney Surrounds, NSW

Resolution of an issue was excellent

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

I'm sorry about your experience CMP and I will ensure this is escalated to senior management. Someone will be in touch asap. Have a lovely day.

CMP

Thank you so much for resolving my concerns and issues. My review has been updated accordingly.

Read more reviews - page 2

Georgina
Georginaasked
Pet Insurance Australia

What are people paying per month without these 'free months' inducements? I did an online quote for 2 free months and just got a phone quote for 3 free months and the premiums were different ie. you pay more for more free months. Effectively there are no free months as the loss is added onto the premiums.

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Georgina. The two months free is spread over the 12mnths contract to give you savings each month. The three months free is 3mnths upfront, then normal premiums for the remaining year. I hope this has helped? Have a lovely weekend. Feel free to send me some contact information and I can have a policy expert reach out.

Dani
Daniasked
Pet Insurance Australia

Can you briefly explain the excess? If I have a $200 excess does that mean it is not worth claiming anything that is less than $200? How does that work with routine care?

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Dani. Thanks for reaching out. There is no excess on Routine Care. You can choose your level of excess ($0, 100, $200). The Excess applies per Condition per Policy Period and will be deducted for the benefit. I hope this has helped? Please let me know if you would like a PIA Policy Expert to reach out via phone. Have a great day.

Vanessa C.
Vanessa C.

I have same question as Dani and still didn't get what $200 excess means. If I choose the option '$200' what that means? How it's works? Thanks

Anita L.
Anita L.

Keen to know about the excess too. If during the consultation, it's identified 2-3 conditions, will the $200 excess applies on overall 3 conditions bill or on each condition?

gigit
gigitasked
Pet Insurance Australia

When you submit a claim, would the following year's insurance premium increase a lot? If so, what is the percentage of increase?

PIA Management P.Pet Insurance Australia

Hi Gigit. Thanks for reaching out. Our premiums will increase from year to year, and there is no exact amount set. It depends on various situations. Every year, we review the cost of everyone’s insurance with regards to a combination of factors as well as claims inflation across all our insured pets. Increases in our claims costs due to increases in the range of available veterinary procedures, or due to increased take-up of those services, impacts everyone’s premiums.

Your premium takes into account the average cost of care for pets like yours. To provide an example of this, a pet parent with a three-year-old French Bulldog will be affected by the trends we see in our data from hundreds of three-year-old French Bulldogs that we insure, as well as the specific claims history of their own pet.

I hope this has been of some help? Please let me know if you would like me to have a PIA Policy Expert reach out. Have a lovely day.

See all Pet Insurance Australia questions

Get an answer from our members and Pet Insurance Australia representatives

Features:

• Three types of insurance for your dog or cat: Pet Essentials Cover, Comprehensive Cover, and Major Medical Cover
  • You can insure your pet for life, but your pet needs to be between the ages of 8 weeks and 9 months
  • The three covers range in comprehensiveness. For example, Pet Essentials Cover only reimburses up to $1000 on veterinary treatments, whereas the Major Medical Cover refunds up to 80%.
  • There’s a 21-day cooling-off period, so you if you change your mind, you’re not locked into a contract
  • Discounted insurance available for multiple pets, with a maximum discount of up to 15% for 4 or more
  • Insurance fees depend on the breed, age, and pre-existing conditions of your pet. You can request a quote by filling in your pet’s details via a form on the website
  • Flexible premiums offer cheaper insurance – but means you’ll be paying a higher excess fee

What reviewers liked about Pet Insurance Australia:

• The easy-to-use online claims system was a recurring point of praise, due to rapid processing times and claim payouts. Additionally, the “GapOnlyTM” insurance scheme made it possible to process claims on the spot at participating vets.
  • Reviewers praised Pet Insurance Australia for being open and honest about the terms of their insurance coverage – most people weren’t caught off guard by hidden fees
  • Investing in pet insurance brought about peace of mind, as there was comfort in knowing that pets would be covered in the event of illness or accident
  • Reviewers were relieved to save significant amounts of money that would’ve been spent on vet bills.

Points to consider:

• It’s important to do your research, as you’ll find there are certain services that Pet Insurance Australia doesn’t cover. Pre-existing conditions, cancer conditions, and dental procedures are some of the services that are excluded.
  • Insurance fees increase each year as your pet ages.

2021 ProductReview Awards logo

Having a beloved pet fall ill or get involved in an accident is already stressful enough, which is why pet insurance can help. Pet Insurance Australia, winner of the Pet Insurance Category in 2021, 2019 and 2018, has proven to be a pet insurer that consumers can rely on, due to its outstanding customer service and admirable transparency.

Compare all 3 Pet Insurance Australia