Pet Insurance Australia

Pet Insurance Australia

4.1 from 1,084 reviews

Dont GO FOR IT!! Terrible policies!

We had comprehensive Insuarance for our cat with $200 excess at around $29-somthing fortnightly.
We have a domestic short hair who ingested hair ties :(. She vomited them out and our vet found her to be OKAY. It ended up being JUST a vet visit, no procedures for which we submitted a claim.

We never got any money back. So we called after a week or so and the customer care said we have already been credited the claim. We looked through and found nothing. Waited. Then we got a mail saying we have been credited to our account no ****. But again...nothing!

So we again called back. This time a lady picked up and said that we dont get any money back because its less than the $200 excess. She said that this excess was for per period, per condition! So every visit , we have to pay out of pocket!
This I found completely useless. So, unless my cat has a reccurring condition, I am not getting covered. Also, they gave two different accounts for what they did with my claim. Cancelled it immidiately.

Pet Type(s) InsuredCat
Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim ApprovedNo

Don't pay! But which insurance company does.

We have a pure bred German Shepherd with an impeccable health record, breeding notes. She became unwell with addisons disease, however, because she was taken to the vet for an unrelated issue during the waiting period, Pet Insurance Australia will not cover it! So despite making all our premium payments, when something goes wrong PIA just reject your claim, don't even call, or advise anything. The whole pet insurance industry needs an overhaul, as it's a complete scam!!

Claim DateAugust 2019
Claim ApprovedNo
Hi TimD i'm terribly sorry to hear of your dogs sickness and i'd love to pop you in contact with a supervisor who can help. Can I please grab your policy number and i'll get someone to reach out asap. Thanks, have a lovely day.

PIA let you concentrated on your pet getting back to good health. User friendly claim lodging and efficient refunds. Having a very ill pet is stressful enough without the worry of complicated claim procedures. Thank you PIA for being there when help was needed. Best insurance I have ever dealt with.

Claim DateJune 2019
Thanks Narrow Dogs for your lovely words. I'll be sure to share this with the PIA customer service team. Have a wonderful day.

One of the best!

PIA is one of the most efficient insurance companies I have ever dealt with. The staff are always helpful and friendly if I have a query. My claims are processed quickly within 2 to 4 days, they initially did used to take longer but recently things have changed. I have been with PIA since January 2017.

Claim ApprovedYes
Thanks Khaya for your review. I'll be sure to pass on your lovely comments to the dedicated team at PIA. Have a great day.

Very efficient and professional service

Pet Insurance Australia offers a convenient and efficient service at times when you really need to focus on your pet's health. Claims are easy to access and paid in a timely manner. Communication is friendly and professional and the service allows us to consider all options for our pet's health. Highly recommend!

Claim ApprovedYes
Thanks Nicole and Tony for your lovely words and recommendation. Have a great week.

Great Insurance for my Fur Kids!

I have found Pet Insurance Australia fantastic on all fronts, value for money, great service, quick easy claim service through pet portal and honestly have had no issues with any interactions we have had with the company. I highly recommend.

Claim ApprovedYes
Thanks Marcella for your review and recommendation. Have a great day.

Excellent service

Taking on pet insurance is always something you hope you never have to use, but having a quality insurance from a company you can trust and who have excellent benefits is a must for every family who has a fur baby. Daisy's health has taken a down turn as she age's and without proper insurance definitely would have taken a toll on our finances but PIA has given us peace of mind that we are covered when we need to seek treatment with fast and easy claims. Thanks.

Claim ApprovedNo
Thanks Sharon for sharing Daisy's PIA story. Sending her a big PIA cuddle from the team. Have a wonderful day.

Great company

I’ve had to lodge many claims over the past few months due to my dog suffering from seizures however the claims process has been fast and have not had an issue getting a claim paid. Will stay with for life as they have supported through a tough time.

Claim ApprovedYes
Thanks Colletee for your lovely words. It's lovely to know PIA was able to offer support during these stressful times. Have a great week.

First claim - pretty happy

Ollie our almost 3yr old Cavalier King Charles developed an extended soft palate which caused breathing problems and needed surgery. I joined PIA when he was 8 weeks old and although the monthly premiums are a little expensive, his surgery was quite costly and I was pleased I had insurance. The claim process was not too difficult. Luckily our Vet’s staff were familiar with the process and were very obliging in providing everything I needed for the claim. Refund was received promptly once all the paperwork was completed.

Claim DateApril 2019
Claim ApprovedYes
Thanks Jill for taking the time to share your Cavalier King Charles' PIA story. I hope he's made a full recovery and doing well. Have a great day.

PIA is exemplary of a good insurer

PIA have been fantastic with our recent claims. Our 7 year old Greyhound had a soft tissue sarcoma removed from his forearm which included a graft surgery, costing us over $10k in total. PIA kept us informed when they received our claims from the hospitals and they sent through the reimbursements back to us very quickly too.
The claim process was made very simple as the vet admin did all the paperwork.

Claim ApprovedYes
Thanks Teck for your review. I hope your precious Greyhound is doing well and on the mend. Have a wonderful week.

Very Grateful! Pet Insurance Is A Must!

Recently my beloved male Labrador of 5.5 years suffered from severe Pancreatitis. This was one of the scariest moments I have endured and I was very nervous about his survival. Once he was admitted to the vets and animal hospital I started to have a little more confidence. Luckily for me I had Pet Insurance with Pet Insurance Australia as I had to use several thousand from my Mortgage upfront to save his life. It was nice to know that I would receive some of the costs back. I wasn't sure exactly how much I would receive back or how many ongoing days my best mate would be stuck at the hospital to recover well enough to return home.

I had been with PIA since early 2015, though as I had not made a claim for a couple of years I must admit I was a little confused and annoyed that my Policy had risen nearly $300 over a few years. It was explained that this was a National price rise for the specific Labrador breed and age depending. I did complain but I then realized I had no choice but to pursue with Pet Insurance as it's not exactly cheap anywhere, but if you put a lot of love and expense into your pet then it is a must to have Pet Insurance. They are Family after all for most or some of us.

In June this year, 2019 my Labrador became sick with the above mentioned Pancreatitis. I am just so grateful I had the Pet Insurance in place both for my dog's life and also that I could reimbursed some survival funds to live moving forwards.

PIA Pet Insurance is simple to set up, and documents can easily be uploaded via the Pet Portal. After that experience I would never be without Pet Insurance again. The Reimbursement Payments were very efficient and very accurate. I was always updated via text or email once a claim had gone through and I was surprised to see how soon the first payment was made back into my account. Because of the separate stays at the Vet Surgery and Animal Emergency Hospital, my recent claim was split into separate sections and reimbursements but I can now see confidently that there is no need to stress about using your funds upfront, as you will be reimbursed accordingly if the illness is covered in your specific policy.

Don't take the risk of not having Pet Insurance. My Labrador is now very healthy again 2 months later, has lost 7 kgs and wants to run every time we go for a walk!

Claim ApprovedYes
Thanks JT for sharing your PIA story. I hope your precious Lab is doing well, sending him a big PIA cuddle from the pet loving team. Have a great day.

Frustrating!

Firstly, instruction was that we had to post all claims - turns out you can email them!
Secondly we keep receiving letters requesting paperwork that has already been sent.
Things like copy of vet invoices - which we sent to initiate the claim in the first place!
Still waiting on settlement on claim raised early June!

Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim ApprovedNo
Hi Bob, i'm really sorry to hear of this and i'd love to get you in contact with a supervisor who can help. Can i please have your policy number and i'll have a team member make contact asap. Thanks, have a wonderful day.P107207303

Good quick claim service!

I have been with PIA now for 5 years. I have found their costs are up there and quite competitive but like any insurance it is a great when you need it. Their claim service is fast about a week and when you have all the necessary paperwork, trouble free.

Claim ApprovedYes
Thanks Paul for taking the time to share your PIA feedback. Have a lovely day.

Great support and easy interaction

We are very happy with the level of service Pet Insurance Australia has provided us. From day 1 they were very easy to deal with and the policy was very straight forward to set up. Claims got resolved quickly and efficiently with minimal effort from our part. We have been with PIA for the last 3 years and would not change.

Claim ApprovedYes
Thanks Sim for your lovely words and for sharing your PIA story. Have a fantastic day.

Great Pet Insurance

After a lot of research we selected PIA for our pet insurance. That was 6 years ago and have not considered changing. Claims are quickly actioned. Always enquire about the welfare of our pets after a claim.

Claim ApprovedYes
Thanks Ann for your review. Have a wonderful week.

Awesome Service, prompt response.

We have made two recent claims and both have been dealt with professionally and promptly. Would highly recommend you. Pet portal was easy to use and upload documents. Thank you

Claim ApprovedYes
Thanks Lindsay for your feedback on PIA and our services. I'll be sure to pass this over to the pet loving team. Have a wonderful week.

Never had a drama.

Have had to claim on policy twice and was reimbursed both times no drama at all. Have multiple dogs with them have found dealings to be easy and stress free.

Claim ApprovedYes
Thanks Adora B. for taking the time to review PIA. Have a wonderful day.

What Goes Up Must....Err...Keep Going Up?!

Policy cost last year $482.86; renewal cost this year $671.36. Yes folks that's a whisker shy of 40%. You be the judge! And just for the record my border collie is just four years old, he's been continually insured (initially with Bow Wow), I've never made a claim & he's never had an illness or injury or required any treatment (other than being desexed). Still on the Mornington Peninsula, same house.
Also beware additional 6 month waiting period on cruciate ligament claims when switching. This is not obvious until you've taken out the policy. Cost of visiting vet to get a waiver would have exceeded my switching savings, so I didn't bother, especially since Scout is unlikely to suffer from this. Still, annoying, especially PIA's answer to my query, which was just to repeat policy wording: for most of us who speak English, this really just means 'bad luck chump'. Shopping around again now...

Claim MadeNo
Hi Grant, i'm sorry to hear of your frustrations with your premium increase. Sometimes the increase can also include the three months free promotional period falling off the account, but I would like a policy expert to take a look into your account for you and reach out? Can I please have your policy number and i'll get someone to give you a call asap. Thanks, have a great day.PI08575595

Peace of mind

Going through the possibility of losing your pet to ill health is trauma enough, having to pay the bills is even worse....however Pet insurance were so efficient, covered everything they said they would and the money was back into our account very quickly - our dog has ongoing ailments now and PI are again very quick to reimburse for medications no matter how small...wonderful people and a great value solution to give you peace of mind.

Claim ApprovedYes
Thanks Neil for taking the time to review PIA and our services. I'll be sure to pass this over to the pet loving team. Have a wonderful day.

So thankful I had cover.

Value: yes cheapest and offer good annual sublimists however I do wish they would offer more for Consultations
Claim: process was easy lodged online took around 10 business days
Length of time with company: 13 months
So thankful we had pet insurance for our pup as vet expenses are expensive, getting some of the costs back can ease the burden financially particularly if you are required to have ongoing visits. I'm grateful so far for the service I have received from PIA.

Claim ApprovedYes
Thanks April for sharing your PIA story. Have a wonderful day.

I have two dogs now. My first dog Oliie is insured with RSPCA but i am a little frustrated with them. Have had him since he was 8 weeks. Adopted a 6 month old same breed and need to insure him. My only issue is that if i cancel my insusrance on RSPCA for Ollie you wont cover his pre existing conditions - a little bit of allergies.
Hi Gavin, I'm sorry to hear of your frustration with your current pet insurance provider. Unfortunately this is true - any conditions that Oliie has been seen for will be considered pre-existing. In our PSD it states; If any symptoms or signs of a Condition occur or the Condition exists in any form prior to insurance or during the applicable Waiting Period, then it will be considered to be a Preexisting Condition and it will not be covered. You can find more about our policies at our website www.petinsuranceaustralia.com.au or read our Product Disclosure Statement for all the info about pre-existing conditions at https://www.petinsuranceaustralia.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/PIA-PDS-eff-2018_06_29_Online.pdf thanks have a lovely day

Would you cover a rescue Chihuahua? - Considering full medical history before 5 years cannot be obtained - Let me know
Hi Lauren, most certainly! At PIA we simply adore adopted pets. We understand that any information before you took ownership is not possible, so at PIA we only require the full vet history from the day you took ownership of your beloved Chihuahua. PLUS: proof of when you took ownership (from the shelter etc). Please let me know if you would like a policy expert to give you a call. Thanks, have a great day.

Do you cover a dog ingesting Nurofen or similar? Obviously no one plans for this to happen, but pets are scavengers and I have read articles that this is on the rise.
Hi Roger. PIA does generally cover intoxication or vomiting due to ingestion so long as you have illness in your level of cover and you have already adhered to the 30 day waiting period for the illness cover.