Sunbeam Mini Barista EM4300

Sunbeam Mini Barista EM4300

MPN: EM4300

Great But......

This is a great machine,it got a great coffee making score from Choice magazine. I have had it now for 6 months 2 -3 perfect coffees a day, and then it stopped working , I got straight on to Sunbeam ,they replaced it on the spot !
So great work to them! A very happy customer

Purchased at Harvey Norman Online for $189.00.

Product is used: Daily
GrinderBreville BCG820 (Grinder)
Hi Gene. Apologies again for the issues you experienced with your original machine. Hope you are back enjoying your coffee with the replacement unit we sent!

Perfect!! Amazing and GREAT value for money

Yes yes yes! If you’re looking for an espresso machine, this ones for you. Sunbeam is amazing and had a coffee machine for 6 years before it faithfully died and was replaced by this beauty. Water capacity for the drip tray is AMAZING and rarely do u have to empty it (once every 3-4 weeks). 2L water capacity is also great. Would definitely reccommend

Purchased at Harvey Norman for $230.00.

Consistency
Milk Frothing
Product is used: Daily
Thanks for the positive feedback Nicole.

Great little coffee machine!

Very happy with this purchase. I don't use the steam wand so can't comment on that but the machine brews a great cuppa :) Easy to use, easy to clean, doesn't take up too much space on the kitchen bench. Would definitely recommend if you are after a budget but effective espresso machine.

Date PurchasedAug 2018
Thanks for the great feedback Claudia!

Great machine

This little machine saves my husband and I so much money - we happily drink a coffee from home everyday and we’re not tempted to buy one. Very easy to clean and good for the environment by using ground coffee and not coffee pods. Try brewing an espresso the night before then topping up with milk and ice the next morning in summer - delicious.
The only fault is the size of the milk jug - way too small for a machine that can brew two coffees at once. We bought a bigger jug and it’s fine.

Date PurchasedMar 2018
Hi Sam B. Thanks for the great review! We will pass the feedback on the size of the milk jug onto the design team!

A great machine at this price.

We've had this for a few months since replacing our old Sunbeam espresso machine, which died after many years of faithful service. Since we got the grind right, we have been really impressed with how consistent the coffee from this little machine is. It makes really good espresso and the milk steamer is powerful, too, if you need it. Has some nice extras like storage area under the machine, trip tray overflow warning, adjustable auto shot volume. Thanks, Sunbeam.

Date PurchasedOct 2018
Thank you for giving our product such a great review, we appreciate it!!!!

Very good compact coffee machine

I have had this coffee maker for a couple of months and so far, it has met my expectations. It is very similar to the Swiss machine I used in Geneva, except it is of lighter construction - plastic, while the Swiss one was stainless steel. It would have been better a little heavier to make locking the coffee handle easier. One has to hold the machine securely while locking the handle onto the machine. My real complaint is that the lid/cover of the water reservoir does not fit correctly onto the reservoir. The handle of the reservoir appears to stop it from fitting on. I have found insects in the reservoir as I cannot close it properly. Do I have the wrong lid/cover?

Date PurchasedDec 2018
Hi Wayne, Not exactly sure why it's not fitting. Give us a call if you get the chance on 1300 881 861 so we can run it through with you....I made the call, only to be told to call back later - too busy. Maybe you should install a system where you can call back the consumer.Hi Wayne. Apologies, we had an unexpected issue with our phone system yesterday which was unavoidable. Ordinarily a callback option is available. We are happy to contact you directly if you send us a private message with your contract details. Alternatively, the phone system issue has now been rectified so you can contact us on 1300 881 861.

Reliable homemade espresso

I was very picky in choosing a cheap espresso machine and am very satisfied after having bought this one.

I wanted an entry-level espresso machine to make a flat white at home on the weekends; I buy my daily coffee at work on weekdays. I tried using a french press, and then a pod machine, but was never satisfied, so decided to dive in and buy a cheap-ish espresso machine that had a milk frother included.

After reading a lot of reviews, of a lot of products, I settled on this EM4300, and love it. As other reviews have noted, there's a bit of trial & error with your grind coarseness and amount, but once you nail it you can consistently make a good coffee. I grind my beans to be a bit more coarse than fine powder; almost as coarse as using a french press. And I fill the basket to be nearly full to the brim (a millimetre or two more than the included guide recommends). When locking the group handle in, there is a bit of resistance that you push through and then you know you've got a good firm seal with the group head.

I bought a $60 hand grinder with a ceramic burr off ebay, as the advice online was to get one of these and have a good grind; I think this was money well-spent.

I also bought a larger milk jug as the included jug is just barely enough to froth milk for one small (8 oz.) coffee, and it froths right up to the lip which risks spilling hot milk. Buying a larger jug makes frothing milk easier and safer. This would be my only criticism of the product.

Overall this machine makes good coffee and is easy to use, I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who is after cafe-style espresso at home who doesn't want to spend a lot.

Date PurchasedSep 2018
Thanks for the great review Martin!

Great little machine

The coffee this machine makes is almost as good as something you'd get at a cafe. It is consistently good and I love the ability to be able to specify one shot or two. Learning to froth the milk (I have been frothing milk on home coffee machines for years) on this machine without it squealing or failing to froth took me a couple of goes but overall, it is easy to use and makes a great, hot coffee.

Date PurchasedAug 2018
HI AMANDA 154, great to hear and thanks for the review!

Very good little machine for coffee lovers

Have got this coffee machine for more than 3 months now. So far so good experience with this purchase from Sunbeam. The quality of coffee is great and consistent; milk texturing performs well and obviously as a home machine, the speed cannot compare with the one at coffee shop, but it does the job very well!!!!

As this is a budget machine, we have to compromise our convenience for not being able to extract coffee and milk frothing at the same time. But if u only need to make 1 or 2 cups of a time. Then it wouldn’t be a problem after considering how much u have saved from buying coffee outside :)).

I purchased the machine at first for learning how to make espresso. This is my best investment ever as I save from enrolling expensive training courses and enjoy the flexibility of practicing whenever I like!!!

If u after one, this is sometimes on special and u can get a real good deal

Date PurchasedAug 2018
Thanks for the great review JP!!

As good as 90% of cafes

This machine is an absolute gem. I went Sunbeam again as our Sunbeam Cafe Crema went for around 15 years before failing ( did replace a couple of group head seals ). There is no doubt the larger group head gives a better flavour extraction from the coffee....and I love the timed pours, I use the 2 cup pour for a single cup as most people who have reviewed do. I use Aldi Organic Free Trade ground coffee ( for 10 years now ) best value coffee on the planet, please try it....and the flavour and pour is excellent when dosed and tamped correctly. I don't bother with steaming milk for cappos, just flat whites. Yes, the group head is very tight to attach...but understand why it is this way. If I get 10 plus years out of this one I'll be a happy camper.

Date PurchasedNov 2018
Thanks for the great review Undies! Glad to see your enjoying your coffee!!

Good machine untill it died

Bought this coffee machine 14 months ago and have used it everyday with filtered water and regular cleaning with no problems and was really happy with it until today when it has completely died.
2 months out of warranty not happy as it wasn't cheap and expected it to last a lot longer.
Rang the warranty hotline and they were fantastic as it sounded like a electrical fault with the switch they replaced it with a new machine.
Very happy with outcome and now enjoying a coffee at home.

Date PurchasedSep 2017
Sorry to hear of the issue you experienced with the first machine Kas, but I'm sure your new machine will provide you with quality coffee for many years to come.

Good start but ...

Coffee machine is looking very good. All the time coffee does have cream on top but this does not mean that the taste is good. Sometimes it comes out a little bit burnt but it may be the quantity and quality of the coffee. Cappuccino steam function is working well. Overall good experience.

Date PurchasedDec 2017
Thanks for the great review Manuela. If the coffee has a burnt or bitter taste, your grind may be a bit too fine which is resulting in over extraction.Thanks I will try with a different one

Inspired to write a review

I actually bought this machine last Christmas and didn’t think to write this review until now. This machine is so awesome I cannot believe the price. Simple to use and makes great coffee once you master it. It was so good my mother recently told me she wanted one so I went to Harvey Norman to get her one. Whilst I was there I saw a new machine called the Barista Max. The sales person told me it was the new version of my machine so I bought it and love it even more. Check out my review I just wrote about that machine (Barista Max). Highly recommend either this Mini Barista AND The Barista Max. Depending on your budget you won’t be disappointed.

Date PurchasedDec 2017
Thanks for the great review Ted!

Fool Proof!

You can't go wrong with this great appliance! Super easy to use - it's virtually fool proof! Has taken a few goes to master the milk with the steamer, but other than that it produces great quality coffee! Has saved me a lot so far in take away coffees in the mornings!

Date PurchasedSep 2018
Thanks for the great review Natalie!

What a pleasure

Hi all
We've always had pod machines and a percolator. Decided we wanted to make our own barista style coffee, so purchased an EM 4300
As always with something new it took a while to get the correct amount, tamp pressure etc. My partner and I now enjoy amazing coffee, whenever we want, without having to bother about getting the car out every time. Easy to clean, fill with water, and looks great on the counter. The water temp is spot on for us, and once you get the angle right the frother works great.
Really happy overall

Date PurchasedJul 2018
Hi Zimbo, couldn't have said it better, thanks for the great review!!!!

It was great while it lasted

This was a great coffee machine while it worked, but two weeks after the warranty expired, the machine turned on by itself and just kept pumping water through. What a shame, we can no longer use it. I hesitate buying the same one if it only has a one year lifespan.

Date PurchasedSep 2017
Hi Angela, sorry to hear of the issues you have experienced. Please call our customer care team on 1300 881 861 and they will be more than happy to assist.

A great intoduction.

As a complete novice this machine was a gentle trouble free introduction to making espresso at home. Once I got the grind right it was easy and the temperature is just right for us, hot but not scalding. Good clear diagrams and instructions helped enormously, thank you very much for that.

Date PurchasedMar 2018
Hi Uswe2, great to hear you are enjoying making your coffee with our machine! Thanks for the great review!!!!It would be great if you could readily buy extra group handles and filler baskets, needed in our family because some need decaf.

Great budget machine

I picked up one of these for the work shed and it produces good coffee, quick. It’s taken a few dozen cups to work out what the machine likes in terms of grind, dose and tamp strength and it’s getting better and better although I’m preferring double shots to get the strength I like. It’s built well (I have the model with the stainless group head), holds enough water to last 3-4 days, froths milk well and cleans up easy. The included instructions are excellent and provide tons of good coffee making information. The only negatives are the plastic tamper that’s not heavy enough and the grinds stick to it so I’ve replaced with a heavier commercial one that you can pick up easy online, and be careful not to fill the filter baskets to the top as it says to do, I struggled to lock the head into place if it’s too high. Overall though,l and especially for the money this has been worth it.

Date PurchasedSep 2018
Thanks or the great review Cheeky Fox!

Just bought; positive early results

Just bought this as our older Breville Cafe Roma started spurting water out from around the Porta Filler. Tried different grind settings on our Breville Smart Grinder Pro, but couldn't get it to flow water through properly so back to JBhifi.
It had been almost perfect for 2yrs but wanted a machine with the larger 58mm Hopper for a slightly stronger brew.
Extended Care Warranty (absolute must have for $30+ for 3yrs total/Breville) returned it's original cost then a decision whether to get another Breville, perhaps the Duo-Temp Pro BES810BSS @ twice the price or go with the Sunbeam Mini Barista EM4300.
Decided on the Sunbeam based on positive reviews overall.

Initially using the old settings on the Breville Smart Grinder Pro of 16 on the Expresso Grind and 11 secs, with a new batch of freshly ground beans, (plug for CentralCoastCoffee, thanks Rick) this setting was too fine for that coffee bean. Increasing grind to courser 23 and slightly more time 12secs to larger hopper, saw a good flow and crema with new roasted beans.
Nice smooth result from the Milk wand which is far superior to the old Breville..more solid and moveable.
Good extraction for a machine in this price point. Auto extract time seems to be about right.
Might post again when machine gets some kilometers under it's belly, but so far, pretty good.

Another positive, Sunbeam comes with 2yr Warranty (+ the extra 2yr Extended Care if purchased). If we get 4yrs use out of machine like this, it will definately have been a reasonable purchase.
My only negative observation would be what appears to be 'Non BPA' Plastic used on the Water Container, which after several years 'will' start to deteriorate.
Let's see how long-term use stacks up.

Date PurchasedSep 2018
Thanks for the great review Philip! The water tank is actually BPA free!Hello Sunbeam, thanks for the response. In the interest of information outside the MSM (main stream media) you might consider this one article; there are dozens more critical articles on the Web. https://wakeup-world.com/2018/09/17/even-bpa-free-plastics-may-disrupt-your-fertility/?utm_campaign=Wake+Up+World+e-Newsletter&utm_content=Latest+Headlines+inc.+Even+BPA-Free+Plastics+May+Disrupt+Your+Fertility%21&utm_medium=email&utm_source=getresponse thanks

Great machine, but I’m worried about longevity

I’ve had a number of coffee machines like this since the ‘thermoblock’ type machines came on the market in the early 2000’s. My first was a sunbeam (who I think had the first one on the market) and I’ve had a couple of brevilles. They all seem to last about 3-5 years and then the switches go or the steam ability fails. I got a ‘mini barista’ as a replacement for an older model that had lasted 2 years and was covered under extended warranty - tip: if you’re offered an extended warranty on a coffee machine then take it!
Anyway, it’s the most advanced machine I’ve had and pours great coffee. The larger group head and better locking mechanism definitely make a difference. Be aware that you have to play around with coffee grind, how much you use and how hard you tamp it with any machine and sometimes you’ll overload it and the results will be hot and messy. The fixed shot amounts seem perfect (unlike other machines) and you can reprogram them anyway. The machine seems to have a few automated functions such as flushing that go on in the background, which none of my other machines had. So if it goes on like this I’ll be very happy... but, I’ve already had to replace it under warranty after a few weeks because the original machine stayed hot when switched off and after a few uses the pump became stuck on. I’m worried that all those automatic functions will see this machine wear out quickly. Still, I rate it very highly based on the way works when it’s working properly.

Date PurchasedAug 2018
Hi Steve, so pleased you are happy with the machine. Hope you do get a great life out of it but at any time please give us a call if you need assistance on 1300 881 861