Breville Dynamic Duo BEP920

Breville Dynamic Duo BEP920

MPNs: 36038429, 36471987 and 36471990

Our first coffee machine and loving it!

Our first "real" coffee machine and have nothing but great things to say about it.
Quick, simple, easy to use dual boiler machine matched with Brevelle's smart grinder pro, gives you great coffee time and time again. A worthy addition to anyone's kitchen.
Thank you Brevelle for bringing great coffee to our home.

Purchased in June 2018 at Harvey Norman for $1,043.00.

Consistency
Milk Frothing
Product is used: Daily

Makes good coffee but only for a short time.

Purchased this machine 3.5 years ago to replace a Quaha Napoletana which had given 15 years of faithful service.
Coffee machine produced good coffee and grinder is just ok.
2 cups of coffee a day for 3.5 years and the machine now leaks and doesn't maintain pressure. To me less than 4 years service is not good enough.

Purchased in May 2015 for $1,200.00.

First real coffee machine

I am not a typical coffee drinker and I only drink iced coffee. My partner loves her coffee but only hot and in latte form. This is our first coffee espresso machine. Beforehand, my partner had a pod machine, and a manual plunger, instant, and the premix sachets. None of those had previously fulfilled her appetite. But now we have had the Dynamic Duo for the past 6 weeks, we have learnt to make a coffee better than we get at most cafes and coffee specialists.
The machine itself comes with all you need to make a coffee exactly to how you would like it. All accessories are included in both single and double walled baskets and a 58mm portafilter. A decent tamper tool and a gorgeous gold coloured scraper are supplied along with a cleaning brush, all of which we use on every cup made. Only one water filter is supplied which is recommended to change every two months.
Once the unit was set up, it was simple to enter the menu and adjust any settings needed. The settings out of the box were how we have left it. The whole unit is heavy but so easily maneuverable by releasing an inbuilt wheel/castor thing in the bottom and can then be wheeled around into any position required. Once the wheel is popped back into place, the unit is quite hard to move across the bench surface.
I regularly make a double shot of regular beans in the single wall basket and my partner makes a single shot of decaf beans in a double wall basket. She is not tolerant of caffeine at all. I dunk my shots into a tall cup of cold milk and ice. She would froth her milk with the awesome built in frother of the machine while her shot is extracting. That's the beauty of having a dual boiler. Once all is done, we thoroughly clean the frothing wand and the extraction head and seals ready for next use.
The grinder that comes with the package is brilliant. It is very customisable. Due to us only having one or two coffees each in every single day, we don't store the beans in the attached canister. We instead weigh our beans for every cup. She would weigh 12gm of beans for her single wall shot, and I will weigh 21gm beans for my double wall shot. On the machine, you can adjust the grind size so I have mine set to a finer 10 setting whereas my partner has hers set to 12. All settings can be customisable to adjust the time it spends grinding and you can store settings into the machine for when you grind one shot or a double so that you don't have to guess how much to grind if you prefer to have beans stored in the canister.
I am completely new to making coffee and with only a handful of trial and error goes, I have perfected the simple task of making a coffee. I have no idea about coffee art yet and it doesn't really interest me. To say that we are happy with these two machines would be an understatement.

Purchased in December 2018 at Amazon for $1,049.00.

Consistency
Milk Frothing
Product is used: Daily

Upgrade from the first series

Bought the BES900 back in 2011. Brilliant machine. This one is even better.

Makes cafe quality coffee every time after dialling in the grinder. To be honest, that does get annoying and can require extra effort to get right sometimes. Every time you get new beans, the process starts again. But once you get it right, it’s a high five moment and worth the time and effort.

Freshly roasted beans make a huge difference to the quality of your espresso with this machine and I recommend you find a good roaster to get the most out of your investment.

I’ve always had a good experience with Breville and I trust the brand. The price of the machine is competitive when you compare it to the prosumer dual boiler Italian brands.

I like to use the automotive industry as a guide when buying any product. To me, this machine and brand is like Toyota. Reliable, durable, mass produced, inoffensive design, Buy it everywhere, heaps of support if it goes wrong and cheap to repair if it does!

Date PurchasedNov 2018

Fantastic machine for the price

Finally after all the years found the perfect coffee maker for a reasonable price.
We have had this machine for over 18mths now and has never had an issue running on avg 4-6 cups every day.
As with any coffee machine it takes a little bit of setting up initially (very easy) but once you have it to your liking it is very consistent and works perfect every time. The bonus is the 2 boilers which lets you froth milk and extract a shot of coffee simultaneously.
With options such as adjusting shot duration & temp and the grind size on the grinder it is easy to get a perfect extraction with a bit of experimenting.
The 'auto on' timer function ensures the machine is hot, primed and ready to go early in the morning when i get up.
The maintenance on this such as cleaning cycle with the tablets and descaling is very straight forward as per the instructions.
The grinder requires the regular maintenance that grinders need and is easy to unclip and dismantle with the burrs easily accessible.
Overall an excellent machine for the price.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Good machine let down by an average grinder

I bought the Dynamic duo after 8 years of using a Sunbeam dual boiler and grinder. I had to say that even as an experienced barista I struggled to get a decent coffee out of the machine despite several weeks of effort. Eventually I realised the grinder was at fault as the coffee was clumping extensively which was leading to an effect called channelling where the coffee does not extract properly due to weaknesses in the puck. I had the grinder replaced and the new grinder was better but I am still not happy with it as it continues to grind with large clumps. In tests against my 8 year old sunbeam grinder the sunbeam performed better. My recommendation would be to still buy the dual boiler machine but to skip the grinder and buy a better quality one separately (not breville!)

Date PurchasedApr 2018

Good experience overall

I am quite happy with the taste of the coffee. I left the machine in the box for a good 2 months after I purchased it as I found setting up the machine at the very first time was a bit hard for me with the manual provided. It would be good if the manual is bit user-friendly with more pictures to guide the initial set up.
Quite easy to use. Heat up fast. Not too bad with cleaning

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

I now drink 4 cups a day!

For a person who loves coffee but with almost no experience in making one, aside from the ones you add hot water, this machine is meant for those who don't just enjoy a good cuppa but also has a keen interest in making minute changes to the limitless configurations for that perfect pull. If you're like me, you'll be on youtube, blogs, talking to friends who has similar interests, harassing barristas in cafes, etc. to try and learn as much as possible. If this sounds like a lot of work for a cup, it is and if this isn't your thing, then this matching probable isn't for you.

It was only recently that they combined the dual boiler and smart grinder pro now called the Dynamic Duo but it's basically the same product. It's not the best espresso machine and grinder in the market at the prosumer level but for the price and value you're getting out of it, it's definitely holding its ground. As long as you're using fresh beans, have your grinder dialled in, tamping consistently applied, you'll be making shots as good if not better than at the cafes.

Another thing I like about cleaning this machine compared to the older models is that you don't have to send it back to the service centre to descale, you can now do it at home. Though I've not performed it yet but from what I see/read it's a relatively simple process that takes about an hour or so.

Bottom line, I'm loving it!

Date PurchasedMar 2018

A step up

Came from a sunbeam em6910. Very impressed with the steam power! Can get milk textured before my toast pops. Love the adjustability of all the parameters. Only issue I've got is that the Puck sticks every time. Have to hit the manual shot for a few seconds to push the spent grind out and back into the portafilta.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Amazing Machine, very happy with Purchase.

A few years ago I hated coffee. I was single.
Then I met a girl, we drank coffee... I liked her. I had Caramel Cap's with extra Sugar.
Later, we were engaged, I liked her more, I hated coffee less. Only Sugar.
Now we are married, I love her. But also need a Double Shot Espresso at 92 Degrees.

THIS machine is perfect, makes fantastic quality coffee every time. Has the ability to be fine tuned to individual preferences, whilst also not being to complicated for the newbie. I've set the timer to wake the machine 7am every morning. I can steam the milk and poor the shot simultaneously with the dual boiler, which allows a cafe quality coffee ready in under a minute! Very pleased with this machine. Please don't go with automatic machines, (We owned a top of the line De'L****** (won't name drop) for a couple of years. Even if you are a newbie, they really don't save much time, and the quality is not even close to as good.

Date PurchasedMar 2018

The best

Breville makes the best espresso machines for the home barista. These machines teach you what makes a great coffee. At the same time as learning to make a proper espresso you learn to appreciate what goes in to a good espresso. The next step would be a professional setup but this is simply the best amateur home setup!

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Not bad coffee.

It's a not bad coffee machine but sometimes the coffee runs too fast. It's very inconsistent I feel, and it isn't the beans since I use the same beans everyday. So i am just wondering what it is. Taste of coffee is there, but like i said i wish it was easier to maintain.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

This is the best home espresso combo!

This is a truly superb combo from Breville. I have barista experience in various cafes and for a home machine it makes awesome espresso shots (provided you buy fresh roasted, quality beans). The smell as you grind your beans fresh and make that first cup of the day just like you’ll get at a cafe = winning! Easy to clean compared to other machines. Not cheap but you do get what you pay for - and it’s sometimes on special at surprisingly good price, so do look out for that or negotiate hard!

Date PurchasedJul 2017

Good coffee machine

This is a great coffee machine however we did have a few problems setting it up. We were unable to get a grind using the double shot basket and supplied grinder that generated enough pressure to create a good creme. With some tweaking and using the single basket we havent had a problem since

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Excellent coffee, don't bother with cafes anymore

This machine makes consistently great coffee to the point where I don't buy from cafes any more as 90% of the time its disappointing compared to what I can make at home. The only issue is it needs repairing every couple of years and we had to have our machine replaced. I guess in a machine with heat, seals and pressure it is normal to require regular maintenance so overall very happy with it and would definitely buy again.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Awesome

I love this machine. It looks good, it works good and I can't live without it. Nothing beats proper coffee and to be able to make it at home is awesome. It really encourages you to get involved in making coffee as the reward is so great. I don't think anything comes close at this price.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Great coffee machine if you can get it for around the $1000 mark

This is the ideal coffee machine for someone wanting to get a little more into the art of coffee making. Great if you can get the duo as there are so many things that you can do to customise the way you make your coffee. You wont go back to instant coffee after this!

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Going strong after 9 months making 6+ coffees a day

Our household has a caffeine problem and so far this machine has kept us alive. Grinder has a lot of customisation by adjusting the internal burr grinder settings along with a fine/coarse selector for bean to bean variance. Having a dual boiler is a time saver especially for making a lot of coffees at once.

Date PurchasedAug 2017

Best home espresso machine at this pricepoint!

After having worked as a professional barista for a number of years, with numerous different espresso machines, this machine is seriously impressive. The Breville team should be congratulated on incorporating professional features within a home appliance. Featuring a PID controller, this espresso machine allows you to precisely dial your preferred brewing temperature.

Ease of use is similar to other semi-automatic espresso machines (you'll still be required to grind fresh coffee beans, alter grind settings etc.) The water reservoir is able to conveniently filled from the front without removing the water tank. The steam wand is a dream to use, allowing you to texture silky microfoam and pour latte art without any difficulty.

Few minor issues - the design of the drip tray can make it difficult to clean thoroughly, and the supplied milk pitcher is not designed for pouring latte art. The volumetric setting adjustments also don't seem to be very consistent, so it is recommended to use the manual button instead.

The inbuilt backflush cleaning reminder and automation ensure you don't forget to deep clean the machine.

Overall, this is a brilliant machine and should be seriously considered by any espresso enthusiast.

Great coffee

I have had this combo for about 6 months and overall very satisfied. The machine heats very quickly, the grinder is highly adjustable and consistent.
The machine pulls nice shots and consistent. The water reservoir is large enough that it doesn't need constant refilling, it is overall easy enough to keep clean.
Couple of negatives, would prefer if the shots were volume based rather than time based. You need to keep an eye on the shot particularly between fresh beans to ensure the correct shot. I have some trouble at times with 'wet pucks' but this is not a deal breaker.

Date PurchasedAug 2017