Breville Dynamic Duo BEP920BSS (Brushed Stainless Steel)

Breville Dynamic Duo BEP920BSS (Brushed Stainless Steel)

Doesn't last - 2.5 years just out of warranty

This machine recently died after 2.5 years and it's been a disaster dealing with customer service. Official warranty is 2 years.

Called up Breville, agreed to inspect for free, dropped off at authorised repairer.
Repairer inspected machine, told verbally that 70% of machine needs to be replaced for $391 of parts with Breville to cover labour.

Later told verbally by repairer that 80% of the machine needs to be replaced for $440 of labour with Breville to cover parts. Can't seem to get a straight answer.

Numerous phone calls to Breville - seem to have no clue about what the repairer has offered or what the cost will be. I'm disappointed about any out of pocket cost particularly ~$400 which is around half the cost of a new machine.

Good coffee while it lasted but be prepared for disappointment when something goes wrong. Reading around it seems pretty common for these to die at the 2 to 3 year mark. Not sure I will be buying a Breville product again.

Purchased in September 2016 at The Good Guys for $1,100.00.

Product is used: Daily
We would like to review this experience further and directly, please contact us at socialmedia@breville.com.au so we can mediate a conversation with our Support Manager in your region.

Excellent value for money espresso machine.

I had and loved my Classic Gaggia for about 10 years, and it had to be retired. I researched for dual boiler machines. Most of them are in the $3k+range. I have used the Giotto rocket. Then I saw this Breville dual boiler. My brother had the Breville original dual boiler (BES900), it worked really well. I bought mIne 1.5 years ago. The current model is improved plus you can empty the boilers; useful if you are away and not using the machines for awhile and, to descale the boilers.

The Setting you can choose on Breville is much better compared to the much higher priced machine. It has more technology or at least the same level compared to the much more expensive Italian machines. Eg. compared to Rocket Giotto. Breville is cheaper because the body is stainless sheet covered plastic, where Giotto is solid stainless steel. (Go to Breville website on the spec. Then compare to another’s dual boiler $4k+ Italian machines. You will see what I mean.

Once you set the grinder (came as pair with BEP920BSS) setting, making coffee is a breeze and joy. I alway manage to extract perfect crema for each espresso cup. The milk frother produce fine ‘dry’ steam which makes perfect meringue milk foam. Make perfect latte every time. (You need to experiment a bit with the setting in th ebgiining. Took me only about 5 extractions to get my setting right in the beginning. Now I only adjust on second cup depending on the batch of coffee I have, if I ever have to adjust).

I certainly hope the machines last as long as my Gaggia. Note that I had to repair my Gaggia several times... I did it my self: replace the group head seal 3 time in 10 years, replace the steam tubing, replace the steam valve and, power switch.

You can buy s-are parts easily for most the Italian coffee machines. Initially Breville did not have spare parts supplier, but now I can see there are several online Breville espresso machine spare parts seller... So if you are handy you can service the machine yourself at very cost effective way to keep it functioning for years.

I recommend you descale the machine regularly depending the water you use. Also run the Clean Me mode on the machine using the right cleaning agent when the machine reminds you. (Yes, the machine will tell you to Run clean mode after about 1kg of coffee; about 100 or so cups).

The group head is commercial size and made of stainless steel. Better than brass (like my old Gaggia) as stainless steel cleans easily and does not build up coffee patina. (Unlike teapot where tea patina is ‘good’ for taste. Coffee patina is not good.)

Note that tamper, cleaning kit and, milk jug came in pack. No other $3.5k plus Italian brand came with these accessories... a bonus. It also look great in the kitchen... the only downside, it is a rather large footprint if you have small kitchen.

Perfect best value dual boiler espresso machine currently in the market. I highly recommend this machine.

Date PurchasedDec 2016