British Paints H2O

• Coverage
  • Longevity
RicardoMilano

RicardoMilanoBrisbane

Not good coverage so far

I bought 2 x 1 litre cans of this product: Yellow and green, to paint some wooden furniture for the grandchildren. I undercoated the furniture and have started to apply the H20, After 2 coats of the yellow, I am disappointed with the coverage which is not even, and still shows the undercoat marks through the 2 coats. I haven't applied any green paint yet, but am not looking forward to it.

Unfortunately, because of the strong colours, any imperfection shows up. It's not like it's a soft pastel.

Purchased in May 2020 at Bunnings Newstead.

Grace

GracePerth, WA

Two coats in (with a primer) and still so patchy!

Very disappointed with the coverage of the paint. Have done three coats (1X primer and 2X top coat) and the bedside tables look like need 2-3 more coats!! Eeh so much time wasted. Will buy the slightly more expensive product next time...

Purchased in May 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$30.00.

stu b

stu bGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Need to apply it correctly

I used this on a timber cupboard, If you brush it on you will get really bad brush marks, i used a foam roller and covered it with 3 light coats, i am very happy with the result

Purchased in April 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$40.00.

Hi Stu
Thank you for your feedback, its fantastic to hear that you've had a great experience with our product. Please feel free to contact us on 13 25 25 (Option 2) if you need any help or advice down the track. - The British Paints Team.

Twoshedsjack

TwoshedsjackGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

How can this be so bad?

I have 18 doors to paint white. I've always used Dulux Oil based enamel before for woodwork but my wife hates the smell. So I tried a water based enamel. I might just as well have used milk. There seems to be no coverage. I'm on the third coat. I can still see the original colour (beige) . Which is weird as the paint is as thick as treacle. The finish is shocking. Gloss? I don't think so. I've tried 2 different rollers, the last one is a very smooth sponge, great with the Dulux enamel (oil based) I previously had a finish like a mirror. Now I have a finish like sandpaper. What a waste of money and effort, how do I now get the crap off? I wish I had read these reviews first...

Purchased in April 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse.

Painted SurfacePreviously painted and Wood
Jim

Jim

Complete rubbish. Don't waste your money

Purchased British Paints h20 enamel semi gloss to paint a small stool.
I am up to my 4th coat using a roller and it is still patchy and has a terrible streaky finish. It also peels off with the smallest knock.
I regret buying this product, I wish I'd spent the extra $10 and got Dulux. Won't make that mistake again.

Purchased in March 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$32.00.

Tom Sommer

Tom SommerMid North Coast, NSW

Try other products

will try to fog coat the rest of my doors. But I don't know how to sand the large corrugated brush marks out of the first door. Also I'm not sure if I can thin the paint enough to atomize though my gun. here's hoping! Will buy Dulux aquanamel next time, I have brushed on a previous job and It flattened really well in cool weather.

Purchased in December 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse.

GraemeGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Worst paint I have ever used

Painted houses for forty years and this the worst paint I have ever used . Proper preparation and you still end up with a poor coverage paint is watery.I have tried 3 coats and unacceptable . Finish looks like undercoat.

Graeme

I have completed the work with another brand and do not which to waste any more time.

Eric Z.Murray Mallee, SA

GLAD I ignored the ignorant reviews here

Nearly returned the paint after the reviews. Went and checked with another paint adviser. First semi gloss paint I have bought in years. Beautiful to paint with quick efficient exactly the finish I was looking for drying time perfect. Best paint product used in a long time. Great improvement over previous enamel. Easy clean up as well amazing paint. I believe previous reviewers should learn enamel painting technique not like other acrylics. Definitely buy it again.

Purchased in November 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse.

DuluxGroup A.British Paints

Thank you for your feedback, Eric! Its fantastic to hear that you've had a great experience with our product. Please feel free to contact us on 13 25 25 (Option 2) if you need any help or advice down the track. - The British Paints Team.

Scott B.

Scott B.South East Queensland, QLD

This would have to be the worsted product I've ever used.

Purchased in September 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$55.00.

henry h.British Paints

Find out how British Paints H2O compares to other Paints & Varnishes

not liking the result of using this paint and decided to google it. .

Super gutted .so much work goes into prep. Wish we had googled this first. Used on all skirting and window frames internally. Terrible finish. Streaky, drippy and uneven finish. Disappointed .

Purchased in June 2019.

Painted SurfacePreviously painted
Leonie

LeonieSouth East Queensland, QLD

Can't trust British Paints anymore.

I purchased a 4 lt can to do skirts and architraves in my bedroom, but switched to a different brand exterior gloss when the first coat of h20 was peeling off, as I thought I must have been doing something wrong.
Decided to use the paint on the campervan cupboards, to save money, but have spent 2 days and am so disappointed with outcome.
Painting late yesterday afternoon, it was drying off so fast and catching up in the brush when I was laying it off.
6am today, 19 degrees, sanding back and trying again.
Not drying as quick, but not covering well and can't get brushstrokes out (new brush, not a cheapie).
4 house renos under my belt, and doubting my own abilities.
After reading the reviews, I wonder why this product is still on the market?

Purchased in September 2018 at Bunnings for A$75.00.

Painted SurfacePreviously painted and Wood
Lou

LouGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

H20 water based enamel used on very old wood.

I chose the H20 water based enamel on a friends reccomemdation and was very happy with it. Brushes cleaned up easily and as long as I wasn't stingy with the amount of paint I used. The doors, trim and skirting boards came up really well for 80 year old wood.
Being summer I have had to be careful what days I painted, as it dries fairly quickly but that is easily worked around.
I did find it went on the skirting boards and door trim easier then the doors, but I'm also a novice when painting but was still happy with the result.

Julie

JulieNorth-West & West coast, TAS

Dreadful !

I can only say one positive thing about H2O, the colour. The finish on my cupboard doors is just awful. Followed the directions, used the recommended equipment and it is dreadful. Total waste of time and money.

Worst Paint I've used in 35 years

Selected this (based on price) from our local Bunnings store. Have 23 interior flat door to paint, the cost was approx half of the Resene equivalent so I thought I'd give it a go. I've now given up after 7 doors and a week of misery. The finish is abysmal - brush and roller marks everywhere irrespective of the viscosity and adhesion/coverage are rubbish. I'd love to see a close up video of one of their pro painters achieving an acceptable semi-gloss finish using this product as I don't think it's achievable. False economy so beware! .

WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY - WANT MY $80 BACK BUNNINGS

Started off o.k. them all of a sudden, the paint is "stripping off" like spaghetti as i'm painting!
Pulled the strips and a whole lot more paint came off....
Will be stopping now, I don't want to waste any more of my time.
Shall be taking this back for a refund!!

Date PurchasedAug 2018

Crap!!!!

This product is bloody crap. Prep skirting, door frames doors as pre information on can. And the crap is peeling off!!! Cover is horrible. I should of just got water of the tap and painted with that.

What a waste of money, time and effort. $80 down the drain and a weekend wasted.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Excellent finish

I was using Dulux Aquanamel with reasonable results on flush doors, but ran out of paint and purchased British Paints H2O Enamel to finish the projectd. I used a roller to apply the products and laid it off with a brush. The British Paints gave me a noticeably superior finish as I found it did not dry as fast. I would recommend the product.

Date PurchasedMay 2017
NickBritish Paints

Hi There, Thanks for taking the time to review our H2O product. We appreciate the feedback and are glad to hear you had a good result. Regards, The British Paints Team.

Watery Mess

Drips everywhere coverage very thin, looks like I will have to do 3 coats. Still looking streaky. Would NOT buy again, or any British Paints products after my experience with this product. Have painted many houses over the years, this is the worst paint I have ever used. Google search reveals all these bad reviews can’t all be wrong can we.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

J.JDEVONPORT

H2o Enamel

Purchased it from Bunnings. Used Dulux before 2 coats brilliant on skirting"s and arcs. On special so i tried it. Up to my third coat and still not covering, used a good undercoat as well. Maybe they should be in the canned water market. Buy Australian, Berger, Dulux, wattle, or a paint you have used before and are happy with it. probably only $10 difference in price. Peace of mind and less work.

Date PurchasedJan 2018
BrettH.

BrettH.South East Queensland, QLD

Excellent finish. Easy clean up after each step, which meant lower painter hours overall.

The completed finish is excellent, we did 3 rooms & a hall. 6 colours were used & all looked great.
We used a professional painter who took 7 days in total. This included sugar soap cleaning, then a new type of adhesive paint primer (due to many different old paint types & surface conditions). One undercoat & 2 top coats. He said using water based saved him about 4-6 hours in brush cleaning & $200 on extra materials required for other enamels.

Date PurchasedDec 2017
NickBritish Paints

Hi Brett, thanks for taking the time to review our H2O enamel paint. We appreciate the feedback and positive review! All the best with your next project, The British Paints Team

Richard T D

Richard T Dasked

H2O

Whats the best temperature to spray British paints h2o enamel gloss, it is 33 degrees here probability a little more in the garage?

Hi Richard
Thank you for reaching out to us, the ideal weather conditions are 25 degrees and 50% humidity levels. If you need further assistance please feel free to contact us on 13 25 25 (Option 2). - The British Paints Team

Eric Z.

I never spray just paint it with brush using an enamel technique father taught me decades ago. I just load up the brush and spread the paint always stroking in the same direction and checking the spread way easier than the old enamels that would have to be cleaned in turps. Spreads beautifully. Mind you I was doing frames but I would use the same technique on bigger areas. Love the paint

Tabs

Tabsasked

H2O Enamel Semi Gloss

Hello, bought H20 semi gloss and am onto my third coat, not looking as good as it should, my question is can I paint H20 gloss over the semi gloss? Help please

08Skyway
08Skyway

That should be ok. But I would scuff the surface first and clean off the dust. You can use a fine silicone carbide sanding paper or one of those 3m Sandblaster Blocks, say 180 grade. If you are painting broad surfaces such as doors, I suggest you use a roller to get it on fast. Check out the internet/Youtube for techniques showing how to apply water-based paint.

J.J

Yes, But buy Wattyl acquatrim. It is a acrylic paint but gives you an awesome finish that matches water based enamel.

rocket45

rocket45asked

H2O

surface had been varnished used bulls eye 123 undercoat primer sealer then 2 coats h2o enamel semi gloss about November surface is still sticky what have I done wrong used spray gun waterbased?

NickBritish Paints

Hi There, Are you able to get in contact with us so we can determine what the surface was? There are numerous conditions which can affect the drying time of an enamel paint, if you are able to contact us on 13 25 25 we can help you finish your project. Regards, The British Paints Team

Get an answer from our members and British Paints representatives