4.1 (1,114)

Cheap Price - Because They Try and Cheat You Every Step of the Way

Car ModelJaguar F-Type
Hayley

HayleySouth East Queensland, QLD

Would never touch budget direct

After my fathers car was stolen, budget refused to pay out the loan due to the car having a lock box on it. This is a common occurrence with budget and it is not included in the product disclosure statement nor the insurance policy to state they cannot be on the car.
If you have this problem, lodger a level three dispute with budget and if you don’t get the outcome you want, lodger a dispute with the ombudsman.

We will never ever touch budget direct again and do not recommend them to anyone! Their policy’s are as cheap as their customer service and extensive delays!!!

Insurance TypeComprehensive and Third Party, Fire and Theft
Claim ApprovedNo
Car ModelHolden Commodore VF (Wagon)

Toolona51

Toolona51South East Queensland, QLD

Poor cover on windscreens

There is a $600 excess for windscreen repair, never heard of that from another insurance company before. Went direct to windscreen repair shop paid $594 not happy and did not bother to claim from Budget. Very disappointed and now looking for better insurance company.

Alan

AlanWollongong

Automatic Policy Renewal

Just a warning to others. On receiving my annual policy renewal which was to be automatically debited to my account, I thought I would request a "dummy quote" pretending to be a new customer. I did so, the only thing differing from my existing policy was my birthdate (I changed it by 2 days) and my address (I used the street next to ours). It came in nearly $80 cheaper than what I was to pay! I quizzed them about this and they could not come up with any reason for this. I then cancelled my policy. Obviously, they are ripping off new customers.

An absolute scam

I have been in an accident (entirely not my fault) and lodge my claim one hour after it. Not only they haven't contacted me once but they still haven't processed to refunding my car (they have assessed it as a written off and I start to have doubts now) after 14 days (they have acknowledged they were late after I call them twice) and won't provide me with a loan as 14 days is their maximum, whether you are the faulty driver or not and whether your car has been written off / repaired / or not.
Here I am now with no car, no loan car and no money refunded so I can't buy a new one.
I will change insurance as soon as I get the refund.

Amon

AmonGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Absolute Dogs!!

These people are absolute dogs. Don’t care about you or your situation. Took over 6 weeks to resolve a claim and over 20 hours worth of phone call.I also have a newborn baby and had to use my wife's car and my family was stuck at home. They said they didn’t give a damn about my situation. I was left in the dark the whole time. Had to track down different departments myself. Was told false information by a nob end called [name removed] in the claims department. Would definitely not recommend these dogs!!

Struggles

It has been a struggle to get in touch with Budget Direct - I have phoned them 3 to 4 times and have not been able to get in touch with them .
They do not call you and leave all the responsibility to the customer .
I must say I have been regretting the change from my previous insurer as this has been nothing but headache .

Brendan

BrendanGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Hopeless claims process

The whole claims process was a debacle and dragged on for months, I must have called Budget Direct 20 times during this period and wasted endless hours either on hold or being transferred around. They never once provided an update, it was always up to me to keep phoning them to get an answer. The internal departments don't speak to each other which only exacerbates the issue. Complete waste of my time. I have since canceled my policy and will never use them again. Oh, and don't expect a premium refund of any sort when you cancel!

Claim DateNovember 2019
Car ModelBMW X3

Find out how Budget Direct Car Insurance compares to other Car Insurance

STAY AWAY!!!!! The worst company I've dealt with!

My claim has been outstanding for months now. I have provided all details about the claim and sent requested forms immediately for processing. Budget has failed to contact me regarding the progress of my claim. I have chased third party insurers for reference numbers and details of the other party, I have made the phone calls to the bus company that was responsible for the accident. Despite providing all these details to Budget no outcome has been reached. My vehicle remains damaged and they are not even contacting me to say what has happened. I should be paid by Budget as I'm doing the work and they're taking my money! Unfair, unjust, incompetent, lazy and UNRESOLVED and inapt to do what I pay them to as a customer.

Easy and trust worthy

Very good customer service. My car was recently written off which I was held at fault. To lodge the claim was very easy, only took about 20 mins on the phone. There were no inapropriate questions or badgering. From there I did not have to contact them once, they were the ones contacting me if anything else was needed or if there were any administrative issues. They valued my car via red book, which was a very appropriate evaluation. It took 2 weeks from lodging the claim to receiving the settlement. Overall extremely happy with my service

MarkGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Budget Insurance

Budget does not like to honour the claims they tend to hang up when you try to phone them and make excuses to not pay for claims by over complicating there policy wording buyer be ware they will do you over if they can so I had to pay for my own repairs I'm lucky it will only cost me $2500 Imagine if it was $30000 they just told me they would not pay unless I show them proof Ill see them in court.

Claim DateMarch 2020
Max

Max

Why can’t I give zero.

Used a loophole to get out of paying a car accident claim. Should have stayed with NRMA. I hope no one in your family ever makes an honest mistake and is punished for it.

Leola

LeolaCity

Shocking budget auto and general car service

Had a car accident however when I made the claim no issues but when auto and general
put in the claim it was in my husbands name. I was then told we both would lose our rating??? Because we are both policy holders which by the way was the error of the the person when we got the policy. When I asked to speak to someone else they could not answer my questions and suggested I read the policy disclosure document!!! This is when you have a third party dealing with your company communication breaks down! Sometimes cheaper doesn’t always mean better I should have stayed with AAMI they were awesome when my husband had a accident. Buyer beware of the small print!!

Claim DateMarch 2020
Claim ApprovedYes

Adds terms and conditions including extras after

Budget direct added an additional extra because I'm under 25, this was not mentioned anywhere before I got the insurance. It does not make sense. How can a listed driver be made to pay additional excess for something the company already knows.

Find out how Budget Direct Car Insurance compares to other Car Insurance

Poor customer service if you expect better care when you are not at fault

Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim DateDecember 2019
James K

James KSydney

If you don't expect communication then Budget Direct is for you.

They simply will not phone or email me to update me on my claim. I am having to chase them with multiple phone calls and emails. It has been over one month since the claim was lodged and I have no idea on progress. Last I heard was 2 weeks ago when they were going to determine who was at fault and get back to me. So I am now having to chase them again. Usually it takes 2 emails for them to then call me. Given the amount of money I pay them each month I expect far better. Once this claim is finalised I will DEFINITELY be switching insurer.

Texas

TexasMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Yes , there monthly rates are great, but wait until you actually need to make a claim !

Claim DateApril 2019
Car ModelFord Falcon BA
Macy

Macy

Find your own way back to get your car!!!

Had my car damaged during recent hail storm in Melbourne. Dropped my car off at hail repairers organised by A&G insurance (Budget) and they arranged for a cab to get me home Now due to pick up my car and when I asked how am I getting in there, was told by repairer that Budget don't pay for a return trip to pick the car up. Rang Budget and told the same thing. So I have to pay my own way to get back in. Had another car repaired by RACV who paid for a cab both ways. Now I know why they are 'Budget'

H.Duong

H.DuongSydney, NSW

Don't buy Budget Direct, especially when you're holding a provisional license

Insurance TypeThird Party Property Damage