3.8 from 4,974 reviews

Very good comparatively

No road side assistance. Been with budget direct for a couple of weeks. No claims made. I Select set it all up for me. They were excellent. So far I’m happy.

Car ModelToyota MR2

Easy and great process

The online process was very easy to understand and was a smooth process to set up payment came out on time and very happy with budget insurance.. very happy to have moved over to them.

Car ModelHolden Colorado 7 RG
Claim MadeNo

Claimed twice for not a fault

Policy was expensive compared to comprehensive insurance with Youi and Bingle. I was with Budget direct for three years and suddenly this year they sent me a letter saying my renewal would be $2800! Got a quote from Youi for half the price and bingle for even less. Claimed twice for not at fault, they have you buy a USB stick to upload videos and images of the accident and send it through via the post! It’s 2019 and the new MacBooks don’t even come with a USB port. Windscreen claim with budget is $500, with Youi its $50 and they include roadside assistance with all Youi insurance.

Fantastic

I was very impressed by how easy it was to sign up over the internet and the steps to follow weren’t confusing at all.
The different types of insurance levels where easy to choose from .

Insurance TypeCompulsory Third Party
Plan covers drivers under 25Yes
Car ModelMazda 6

Easy as pie

Got a comparative price to my insurer I had been with for 30 years. Budget direct beat them. My daughter's cars are both with them and the service is great. Thanks guys

Car ModelHolden Captiva CG LX
Claim MadeNo

I hope that I don't have to use it as I haven't claimed on any yet

Good value for money and pe rson was very helpful and friendly only been with you a few weeks and I haven't had to use road side assistance but it is there if I need it

Claim MadeNo

Price was right for the cover.

Tania was very tolerant and helpful. Price was right for cover given. Some compromises but worth saving money for. Maybe make glass cover a bit cheaper and more people would take it.

Car ModelToyota HiAce H100.I

No hassle insurance

Good customer experience - good value for money for what I was looking for - polite and professional staff who listened to me and provided sound advice - long may the good relationship continue.

Insurance TypeThird Party, Fire and Theft

Very good

Policy was good value it was easy to fill out online application and take photos for self approval it took minimal time and effort to fill out forms and complete

Car ModelDaewoo tacuma
Claim MadeNo

Great, easy, very happy with price

Great value, easy to sign up. New to this company and hope to remain happy and paying good amounts to be protected. Have not made any claims, hoping i won't have to eirher.

Very happy

I am a happy customer as i received Great service i am a new customer i know i will come again i am glad i have become a member thank you

Car ModelHolden Commodore
Claim MadeNo

Great value for money, can't go wrong.

Good value for money, easy to get quote and set up cover online. Discount code also helped reduce cost. I'm yet to lodge any claims. That's it, budget direct all the way

Car ModelHolden Astra BK (Hatchback) R+

Easy and Impressive

Policy was easy to setup and good value for money. As I purchased a new car I didn’t have all the details but when I logged into my account online there was an online assistance which was very helpful with updating my policy.
Impressive service and was very easy.
Thanks Budget.

Quick and easy

Shopped around and decided to call Budget Direct for further confirmation on a few facts. The young gentleman I spoke with (Dylan) was very knowledgeable and patient. Decided then to go with this company. Great car insurance policy price and Fabulous customer service.

Car ModelNissan X-Trail T30
Claim MadeNo

Great service and good value.

I always shop around for insurance and Budget Direct offered the best value this time. I particularly liked the way they followed up on the online quotation, the lady who called me was excellent, very knowledgeable and helpful. An excellent experience overall.

Car ModelHyundai Santa Fe DM Elite
Claim MadeNo

Great customer service without the fake attitude of the bigger companies. I saved $350 by swapping with 100% of what the previous company had in my contract. Budget is the way to go.

Plan covers drivers under 25No
Car ModelHolden Ute VE (2007-2013)

Easy to understand

It was good value as I am a p plater and I compared to everyone else and this was the best
It was easy to understand and set up and I am only new to budget direct

Plan covers drivers under 25Yes
Car ModelHolden Colorado

Read The Fine Print

After 3 years of loyalty even though my policies increased every year without making a claim. I would need to negotiate and barter my way down. Not a good thing to have to do, year after year..

After the last increase, I told the consultant that I would be shopping around and I did, I found a much better deal.

When I got around to changing over the policy, Budget Direct hit me with a $40 cancelation fee. Once again I felt like I have to barter my way through all the reasons why I felt this to be unacceptable. A few days later I received a reply to say that the $40 cancellation fee would remain because I cancelled and no longer a customer.

Please remember Budget Direct, I pay all my policies in full, not monthly, all up front & in full. If I paid monthly this $40 cancelation fee would not have applied. They hit me in the most unacceptable, immoral way just because I shopped around and found a better deal. I am very upset with the way this was handled.

I told Budget Direct I was not happy about this and I would be placing a review on this site for all to read. It's not the $40, it's the principle !

Remember, I would not have shopped around and found a better deal if my policy wasn't increased each year. All that happens is the value of my vehicle depreciates and you increase your profit margins.

Please read the fine print. I don't know what this company is like to place a claim through, I cannot comment on that, I'm only commenting on what happened when I cancelled.

Claim MadeNo

Great Products, Great Service!

Spoke with Lisa from Brissy after a stressful morning and felt well taken care of, she was a great service rep! Would recommend to family and friends in the future.

Claim MadeYes
Claimant is the policy holder Yes
Claim DateSeptember 2019
Claim ApprovedNo

The good gets better

This is my second Insurance with Budget Direct. They have an easy to navigate website offering products and solutions which can be tailored to individual needs. They offer the best price for a similar cover with any other insurance provider.

Car ModelToyota Kluger GSU50R GX 2WD
Claim MadeNo

I want to check my insurance policy

Anyone have experience with a stolen car with budget direct? Mine got stolen yesterday and am now waiting for my claim to be processed
Good luck! Our car was stolen and never and after 6 weeks of fight with them they cancelling our policy refunded what we paid for that year and told us we had 24 hours to pick up our car. Never never again.

Does anyone have advice for (1) ease/ difficulty / processing times of making a claim when another driver is at fault, namely, my car was parked in a shopping centre carpark bay and another vehicle reversed into it, then drove off (I have independent witnesses and already filed a police report) (2) what happens to BD premiums if such a claim (i.e. not my fault), were lodged? Incidentally, the damage to my front bumper is minimal. Thanks in advance.
Andy, you're already on the right track with filing the police report with witnesses. I guess you can make a claim by ringing budget direct and just make sure u tell them I have proof that it's not your fault...They are hard to deal with when making a claim dosent matter who is at fault they make you jump thru hoops, They will make it that difficultThey will trick you of paying for the premium even though it wasn't your fault. They said paying the premium makes the processing faster and once the investigation is finished they will refund the money back but they didn't even do the investigation and just say that I agreed to pay the premium so no further investigation is required. Budget direct is cheap but they will do anything not to pay up. So beware take your insurance somewhere else. You are paying for nothing. Good Luck!

CategoryRoadside Assistance and Car Insurance
Contact Number 1700 700 027
Online Live Chat Yes
Other Insurance Types Offered Health, Home and Contents, Landlord, Life, Pet and Travel
Coverage OfferedComprehensive, Compulsory Third Party, Third Party Property Damage and Third Party, Fire and Theft
Roadside Assistance OfferedYes