Budget Direct Car Insurance

Budget Direct Car Insurance

3.8 from 4,209 reviews

Good price BUT!!

The insurance was competitively priced but was more work that other insurance companies.. I had to take photos of vehicle and submit them then send in previous insurance paperwork to prove rating. No other previous insurance companies have asked for this to be done. Have not had to claim yet so cannot comment on claims process.

OK
Plan covers drivers under 25No
Car ModelVolkswagen Touareg 7L (2002-2010)

Quick & easy

Was so easy and quick to apply. Online application was easy and straightforward. Upload of documents was very easy as well. I found it was the Most affordable insurance out there, in comparison to every other company.

Plan covers drivers under 25No
Car ModelToyota Prado J90 (1996-2002)

Budget Friendly

Easy to navigate website with very competitive prices. I am saving $50 a month compared to my previous insurance company. I would recommend Budge to anyone looking for cheaper insurance

Plan covers drivers under 25No
Car ModelHolden Captiva CG (2006-2011)

Good Service

Yes to all questions cannot fault the great service very polite & professional, good value item, easy to get done, first time customer that has all the boxes ticked on a exceptional deal

Book AgainYes

Never would use this insurance company again.

When I first set up my policy with budget I thought the prices were great, great value for money and super easy to apply for through their online website. This all ended when I made a claim. I made my insurance claim over 3 weeks ago and I am still having to ring them daily for updates and speak to someone about why it has taken 3 weeks for one insurance claim to go through. Every person I speak to gives me a different excuse as to why it is taking so long. I've been without a car for three weeks now and none of them could care less in assisting me with obtaining the money for my vehicle. To say I am sick of it is an understatement.
Do not be fooled by cheap prices because its not worth the hassle and being without a car for so long.

Car ModelMazda 2
Claim ApprovedNo

Easy and competitive price

New customer, read all the reviews and checked the canstar ratings, very happy with the price and ease of online purchase. Gold comprehensive car insurance is great value compared to my previous insurance company

Plan covers drivers under 25No
Car ModelHolden Commodore VE (2006-2013)

65% increase

After years with Budget Direct and NOT one claim my insurance jump from $1100 to $1800. That just over a 60% increase. Upon ringing Budget Direct no one could tell me why...and seemed to have not a care in the world. Hence I walked away from them.
Becareful....they seem to jack your policy up every year in terms of dollars

Insurance claim madeNo
Now im not a customer they want to give me a discount to go back, go figure......i suggest you look after your current customer Budget Direct, just crazy!

Very bad customer service

I have been waiting seven days for the total loss department to finalise my payment and still haven't called me yet. My car has been damaged for nearly 6 weeks now and they still haven't paid me out for it. They are very quick at taking your money but when you need them goodluck. I am going to take my cars insurance elsewhere, they are ridiculous.

Insurance claim madeYes

Bad customer service

Budget direct have terrible customer service, I made the complaint on 12 Feb 2019, but still no acknowledgment from the insurance. While I repeatedly reminded them about complaint only response they gave to me was their manager will be going to give me a call back in the next 2 hours but no one ever bothers to call me back. Please save your money because they are not worried about customer service.

Bad

BE VERY CAREFUL

If taking out a policy be very careful as once paid there is no refund on payments. Paid the renewal, went to sell car and cancel policy 1 week after renewal to find no refund as that is their policy.
Would never insure with them again or recommend them to anyone.

Bad
Insurance TypeThird Party, Fire and Theft
Car ModelToyota Aurion
Book AgainNo

Great initial price but then get slugged for cancelling the policy early

Initially the policy price is great compared with other insurers, however when i cancelled the policy today (about six weeks prior to the policy end date, as I sold the car) I was told - after they had cancelled the policy - there would be a final charge.

I was told this was due to the cooling off period by the first person I spoke with which is incorrect as the cooling off period appears only to be relevant when you've first taken out a policy. I was referred during a subsequent phone call to a cancellation charge outlined in the PDS. While it isn't of course illegal to put things like this in the fine print, it's this kind of behaviour that continues to give insurance companies a bad name. It really wouldn't have been difficult for the person to have told me to just cancel the insurance policy on the last day.

Note: I wrote this review on 12 Feb and had the option for Budget to contact me privately via Product Review. As of 17 Feb still no-one from Budget has bothered to get in touch with me, so I'm publishing this review.

Book AgainNo

Budget Direct CS are great to deal with.

I am insured through Budget Direct and I am aware the car insurance they have is under Auto and General. Generally, budget direct CS are good to deal with with all you inquiries their CS has more patience compare to people from Auto and General liability team. Basing on my experience, CS from Auto and General team are rude, easily loss their patience when making an explanation. Treat you like you are the one at fault making you feel worse not listening to you patiently CS would just say so this and that blah blah. NOT empathetic at all, as I am trying to recount all the details. I expected the CS from Auto and General would help you out to juggle your memories but eventually after long discussion will loss their patience, they would raise their voice and I would say not helpful at all! Sorry to say that because that's how my experience was. AS much as like budget direct but their agent for car insurance especially the team from auto and general are very much opposite! Its not easy to recall an event that happened a year ago. Hence, I give 3 stars for Budget Direct minus 2 stars due to their other party Auto and General

Good
Good
Insurance TypeComprehensive
Car ModelMazda 2
Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim DateMay 2018
Claim ApprovedYes

Excellent claims process, informative and helpful staff, very expedient claim and competitive premiums.

The policy was the cheapest I could find comparing others with the same excess and at market value. I subsequently had to make a claim due to the Townsville Floods and commenced the claim through the online portal. I was promptly rung by someone from Budget (perhaps 2-3 hours later), who outlined the whole process and emailed a link for me to through photos of my poor vehicle. Two days later I was called by an assessor and advised the car was a total write off (which was no surprise) and he subsequently provided a figure which I thought was fair in terms of settlement. I was rung two hours later by another member who processed the payment which was received two days after this.

The staff throughout the entire process were incredibly friendly, informed and relaxed, not seemingly trying to rush me off the phone. I was blown away by how easy and quick the process was, which I really appreciate given my circumstances and need to purchase another car.

Thanks guys!

Plan covers drivers under 25Yes
Car ModelFord Focus LZ (2015-Present)
Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Claim DateFebruary 2019
Claim ApprovedYes

Very happy with the service. Thank you.

First time I had my car insured. The policy was a good value. Happy with the customer service. I will get our home and content insurance done with Budget direct as well. Thank you.

Plan covers drivers under 25No
Car ModelHolden Caprice WL (2004-2006)
Book AgainYes

Don't insure with Budget.

Really bad claim service. They make you drive to them to get it assest. They try to talk you into using their panel beater. Also because I back into my wifes car they won't cover it. I have to lodge a claim through her insurance. Double excess. Do not use them . As soon as my car is fixed I am cancelling my insurance with them including my house and all. Beware.

Plan covers drivers under 25No
Car ModelHolden Caprice WM (2006-2013)
Claim ApprovedYes

It was my first time purchasing insurance on my name, so I'm very pleased that it was a simple and painless process. Customer service was on point! Would definitely recommend.

Plan covers drivers under 25No
Car ModelNissan Pulsar N16 (2000-2005)

Terrible

I phoned budget direct today about getting comprehensive car insurance and they can’t even insure my car what a joke. Not happy at all what is an insurance mob when they can’t insure any type of cars.!

Claim Made:No

Unhelpful even at stage of buying policy!

I went through the extensive process of quote and then went to accept the quote when there were many more questions and as I didn't understand how to proceed on a question about the cost of repairs I rang up and asked Budget Direct and was locked out of quote online. The question was answered and I would have been able to continue but the person on the line said I had to do it thorough him on the phone. Which meant going through more questions about id etc that I didn't want to spend time on. It is intrusive and so I am not continuing with the policy which I was about to purchase. From reading other reviews I am glad!

Insurance TypeThird Party Property Damage

Don't just renew

Budget car insurance jumped $177 or 58% so always check never just renew. Needless to say I'll not be renewing. Their reason the assessor decided it so nothing i can do.

Plan covers drivers under 25No
Car ModelToyota Camry XV30 (2002-2006)
Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim DateDecember 2018

Worst Decision Ever to Insure with Budget Direct

I purchased my car in Feb 2017 and purchased Budget Direct Gold Comprehensive Insurance straight away after looking at their impressive Awards and what not. I have paid my premiums in time for the last 2 years.. Couple of weeks ago my car was stolen from outside my work along with my belongings which included Macbook Pro. Initially when i called them to make a claim, everything was smooth as silk.. After a week they called me and said that they have cancelled my policy and denied me the claim because my car was insecure as a result got stolen.. What a JOKE!! are we suppose to stand next to the car all day ? then why bother insure. Also, i still have 2x set of keys with me. I do not know how the car got stolen.
Regardless, I have learnt a lesson not to deal with Super Cheap Insurance companies. They are blood suckerss. Take your money in time without any problems, but when its time to make a claim, they just pretend they never dealt with you .. The general manager of the customer service department is the worst... i do not want to name him, but he is one of the most ruthless heartless person I have ever dealt with. My friends is insured with AAMI, he started his engine and realised he left something at home, so he left the engine on and went inside, and when he came out the car was gone. He got paid $22000 in 2 weeks.. Budget direct is as cheap as it sounds. I wish i gave more thought to it before insuring with them

Claim ApprovedNo