Budget Direct Travel Insurance

Comprehensive, Domestic, Annual Multi-Trip, etc...

• Claim Resolution Time
    • <1 week (4)
    • 1-2 weeks (8)
    • 2-4 weeks (9)
    • 1-2 months (22)
    • 3+ months (30)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (17) · No (66)

gabriel.lattouf
gabriel.lattoufSydney, NSW

Don't Fall For The Cheap Price! Better Off With No Insurance! Least I Would Have Saved Time And Money

Budget Direct A.Budget Direct

Didn’t pay out for Covid affected travel

Phil Gray
Phil GraySouthern and Hills, SA

They are a scam

Will not cover my travel losses and will not return my policy premium ,no help if you phone them.I feel this company is in the business taking money and then relinquishing all responsibility and service.please save your money and go elsewhere.

Budget Direct A.Budget Direct

Hi Phil, Thank you for taking the time to write this review and provide your feedback. In order for us to look into your situation further, please send your details, information and reference to this review to travelhelp.@budgetdirect.com.au

Catherine
Catherine

Terrible Service

Budget Direct A.Budget Direct

I have no faith that this company would pay any claim

Budget Direct A.Budget Direct

Best Super Funds in 2020!

Wendy Z.7 Nov 2019
best-super-funds-in-2020

Best Credit Cards in 2020!

Wendy Z.19 Nov 2019
best-credit-cards-in-2020

What Is Peer-To-Peer Lending?

Nathan S.14 Nov 2019
what-is-peer-to-peer-lending
Andrea BSouth East Queensland, QLD

If I could give 0 I would...

We regularly take multiple overseas trips and selected Budget Direct for our insurance. When COVID struck, we had several trips cancelled. Would BD pay out - would they heck. They expected us to take credits for things that who knew if we could even use a year in the future. Abysmal service and the length of time it took to respond was atrocious. I would NEVER EVER EVER use them again. Stay away from this dodgy company. They'll happily take your money, but when you actually have the right to a refund, they'll try everything in the book they can to stop it from happening!

Andrea B

I don't ever want to deal with your company again. You wouldn't know what terms and conditions are if they slapped you in the face. Go to hell

John S.
John S.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Save your money!

Like most others here my experience with Budget Direct has been lamentable Legitimate claim (pre-covid) and 12 months later still waiting for them to finalise. I guess this will be one ore for the Ombudsman.

Sickening.

Nicole A.
Nicole A.Sydney, NSW

Really Poor Experience

Really poor experience with this company. I was unable to fly due to COVID19 and they refused the claim, stating I should have known at the time of booking that it would be a world event. Even though at the time it was only in china. Also no refund given on premium even though i never left the country! They are crooks!!! Don't bother with this insurance company

Budget Direct A.Budget Direct

Months of dispute to finally be paid out

I purchased a travel insurance policy just before budget direct changed their PDS not to cover pandemics. They initially refused to pay my claim. After numerous emails and some help from a member on this page, they agreed to partially pay some of the claim. They were deliberately obstructive and made the process unnecessarily complex to put people off. Eventually we were to AFCA and they finally came around.

They agreed to pay some of the claim “in good faith” as long as we agreed to waive rights to rebookings/credits.

If you got in before the PDS change I’d encourage you to keep at them and go to AFCA. Despite wasting hours of precious time on this, I’m glad we were paid out based on principle. Thanks to the member who helped me out!

Finallyvictorious
Finallyvictorious

Good copy and paste - another example of poor customer service and failure to address concerns

Find out how Budget Direct Travel Insurance compares to other Travel Insurance

Budget Direct makes mockery of insurance

After lodging a claim for a policy bought before COVID started, I sought to claim back part of the cancelled domestic trip. Budget Direct said I should have anticipated the problem! Unless you have a personal crystal ball, don't trust this insurer.

B Thomas
B Thomas
Budget Direct A.Budget Direct

Hi B Thomas, as you have provided me with the claim number, I have forwarded this onto : IDRcommittee@claims-travel.com.au on your behalf, so that the appropriate department can look into this further. They will be in contact with you in due course.

DON'T!! Just don't do it!!

Budget Direct A.Budget Direct

Horrible service, deceitful and fraudulent when reviewing our claim. Recommend no one uses them in the future

Budget Direct A.Budget Direct

Stranded and left to rot

KBL
KBL

Premium price OK but not much else

Budget Direct A.Budget Direct

Dear KBL, thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We do appreciate all feedback received and your suggestion regarding the policy conditions has been forwarded onto the appropriate department.

John Brisbane EastSouth East Queensland, QLD

Appalling and Immoral - I am disgusted with how the company has treated me looks like many others are in the same boat

Budget Direct A.Budget Direct

Hi John, thank you for your response. We have forwarded this information to the relevant department to have this followed up for you and it to be looked in further around your experience.

Antonia
Antoniaasked
Travel Insurance

I was about to purchase two policy of travel insurance through budget direct, which is one for my son, and the other one for us. After reading these reviews, espescially about Margaret's review, I wouldn't recommend to anyone, let alone to make the purchase. I've travelled to lots of place, never claim on travel insurance, and have used cover more and 1cover.

Go with another company!!

Budget Direct A.Budget Direct

Hi Antonia, thank you for considering us for Travel insurance and taking the time to share your feedback. We do appreciate and take seriously any feedback we receive regarding our customer's experience and insurance coverage we offer.

Taldree
Taldreeasked
Travel Insurance

I have examined the reviews on Budget Direct and it appears that it is wonderful Travel Insurance until you have to make a claim and that of course is the crux of the matter. Why should I choose Budget Direct or Allianz, when the reviews on 'CoverMore' travel insurance regarding the claims is far superior, and yes they are more expensive but at least they are honorable. I think a Royal Commission into Insurance providers is overdue.

Budget Direct A.Budget Direct

Hi Taldree, thank you for taking the time to write to us. We do take on all feedback received, as it is valuable in providing a positive customer experience. When considering Travel insurance we do recommend that your read through/compare the Product Disclosure statement to see what is covered and the conditions, limits and exclusion that apply, in order to select which Travel insurance is suitable for your needs.

Geoff D.

See all Budget Direct Travel Insurance questions

Get an answer from our members and Budget Direct representatives

Compare all 5 Budget Direct Travel Insurance
CategoryTravel InsuranceTravel InsuranceTravel InsuranceTravel Insurance
Other Insurance Types Offered Car and Home and ContentsCar and Home and ContentsCar and Home and ContentsCar and Home and Contents
UnderwriterAuto & General InsuranceAuto & General InsuranceAuto & General InsuranceAuto & General Insurance
Maximum Age Covered 100 years old74 years old74 years old100 years old
Medical Coverage
Overseas Emergency Assistance UnlimitedUnlimitedUnlimitedNot Covered
Accidental Death$20,000Not IncludedNot Included$15,000
Emergency DentalUnlimitedUnlimitedUnlimitedNot Included
Pregnancy (max weeks) Not IncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Resumption of Journey $3,000Not IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Hospital Cash Allowance$75 per day, up to $2,500$75 per day, up to $1,000Not IncludedNot Included
Overseas Emergency Medical & Hospital ExpensesUnlimitedUnlimitedUnlimitedNot Covered
Loss of Income$10,400Not IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Permanent Disability$40,000$30,000Not Included$15,000
Luggage & Personal Effects
Theft of Cash $400$250Not Included$250
Delayed Luggage $600$400Not Included$250
Credit Card Fraud$5,000 as part of Travel Documents cover$2,500 as part of Travel Documents coverNot IncludedNot Included
Travel Documents / Passport $5,000$2,500Not IncludedNot Included
Maximum Single Item Limit $3,000 (Laptops or Cameras)$2,000 (Laptops or Cameras)$500 (Any Items)$2,000 (Laptops or Cameras)
Luggage & Personal Effects $7,500$5,000$2,500$5,000
Ancillary
Personal Liability $5,000,000$2,000,000$1,000,000$1,500,000
Rental Vehicle Excess $6,000$4,000Not Included$4,000
Motorbike / Moped Coverage Included for any sizeIncluded for any sizeIncluded for any sizeIncluded for any size
Domestic Pet Care $500Not IncludedNot IncludedNot Included