• Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks (16), 1-2 months (14), 3+ months (12), 1-2 weeks (7) and <1 week (2)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (32) · No (25)
S Golf

S Golf

Poor claims experience

Took out insurance with TID for a trip to America in August 2019. Was admitted to hospital and had to make a claim. It took 6 months before claim was paid with communication from the claims department being incredibly slow. Every time they asked for something and I responded, another 10 business days would restart. Now a year after the trip the hospital is contacting me to chase payment that TID was meant to take care of. Now TID are again taking their time to get back to me. Never had these issues when making claims with other insurers. Would never use again

Type of ClaimMedical
Claim DateSeptember 2019
Customer ExperienceTID Travel Insurance Direct

I'm sorry about this. I'm happy to get in contact with the team to ensure someone contacts you asap. I'll just need to send you a private message to get a few more details so I can do this. Please keep an eye on your inbox.

Regards,
Brenden

Excellent service

We have used TID for over 15 years. It is often said you only know how good the company is when you make a claim. We have claimed twice over the years and requested a refund this year due to being unable to travel. In each instance we have received prompt service and have been updated on the progress regularly. I would highly recommend TID.

DestinationEurope, South America and South-East Asia (e.g. Bali, Vietnam, Thailand)
Type of ClaimCar/Rental Hire Excess and Travel Delays/Cancellations

Kim F.South East Queensland, QLD

WASTE OF MONEY

TID are exactly what you would expect from an insurance company. They are more than happy to take your money but when you actually have a claim they try and weasel out of every cent they can and drag out your claim for months and months just to add to your ordeal.

Kim F.

Spoken like a true insurance salesman. “As per policy wording” is insurance talk for we will find anyway we can to avoid paying.

I would not use

I have purchased may policies with TID over the past decade and never had to make a claim from my last planned trip which did not eventuate.

The tactics used by the the loss adjusters have simply made it untenable to continue with my claim and have written off the losses. Despite providing medical certificates and proof of purchase TID have requested further information that is not attainable.

The competitive pricing obviously comes at a significant cost when you need to rely on the policy. Suggest using reputable insurance companies, I certainly will be.

Claim DateJune 2018

BazzHSouth East Queensland, QLD

Never again with this company

We put in a claim for 2 small expenses for our April/May overseas trip totaling 3% of our total holiday. Have supplied all invoices and credit card statements and they still want proof of an external flight that went ahead but offered no refund. Have supplied screenshots of flight ‘taken’ along with invoice, still want further proof. Will be going to ACCC and also social media if we don’t hear from a supervisor in the next few days.

BazzH

Ok, thank you for your assistance.

Unethical

We bought top cover for our world trip. Got caught in Europe when pandemic started. TID advised (on phone) there was no exclusions for pandemic so flights home should be covered. They weren't

DestinationAfrica and Europe
Claim DateApril 2020
Carmel Busacca

Carmel BusaccaGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Always have too cover it’s essential

I believe our cover was excellent We had to cancel our Hawaii trip due to coVid 19 so there we had to claim the team at TID where excellent very helpful and understanding our claim was resolved as quickly as possible so happy with outcome I would certainly recommend TID very professional with handling our claim Will continue using TID for our future travels our.

Claim ApprovedYes

Top stuff, very happy with service

Very happy with service, had to make claim due to coronavirus destroying travel plans and all good with claim being paid by travel insurance direct. Have used them before and will use them again.

Type of ClaimOther
Claim ApprovedYes

You need this when travelling overseas

My policy was value for money, easy to set up online and when I needed to make a claim, could be done online and the response time was faster than expected and the claim not contested. I didn’t get to travel but that was not a problem. I have used TID several times before and will do so again

Kate M.

Kate M.Murray Region, NSW

Second claim with TID this year and won't go with anyone else

Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim DateJune 2020
Rosie

Rosie

Very efficient.

I had booked my flights in December 2019. Of course everything was cancelled early 2020. I put in an online claim for flight costs. The online claim process was fairly easy, although you did have to send some information via email when it would not upload on their website. But it all went through and was processed efficiently and as quickly as possible given that they were very busy. I got my refund and I’m very pleased with the way they handled the claim. Would use them again.

Matt

MattBALLINA EAST

Customer 9.5 years - Claim in for 3 Months

Previously happy with TID, as title says long time customer.
But this trip I submitted a claim due to Covid (we purchased cover 14th Jan before any news of pandemic)

Claim submitted in March, 5 emails since but cant get any response apart from we didn't get it, we are busy etc.

Surprised to see the recent reviews of quick response. Was doing a quick internet search to see if they were maybe going under and ended up here at PR and thought you know what, hang sending yet another "are you there" email, they can have a review here on how a customer of 9.5 years has found the service this time. 5 attempted contacts is enough.

Rebecca J.

Rebecca J.Queensland

COVID claim - will use TID in the future

This is the first time I’d used TID after a referral from a friend. Our overseas trip was cancelled due to COVID and our travel agent refused to give us a refund. I had contact with TID throughout the period of waiting on responses from our travel agent. I made a claim with TID and was extremely happy with the outcome. I didn’t submit all the paperwork the first time so had to submit further information and then received our response within the 10 working days timeframe and then received the money the following day. The claims system wasn’t working properly so I submitted screen shots of the claims steps along with all of my paperwork. Will definitely be using them in the future and refer them for travel insurance.

DestinationEast Asia (e.g. China, Japan, South Korea)
Roslyn V.

Roslyn V.South East Queensland, QLD

So glad I had it

Type of ClaimMedical
SueIppo

SueIppoGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Breath of fresh air

What a wonderful experience with TID in difficult times. Not long on hold and get to speak to a consultant. Made a very stressful situation simple. Well done TID you have won my future travel Insurance business.

Claim MadeNo
Customer ExperienceTID Travel Insurance Direct

Thank you so much for the review! Once you're ready to plan your next trip (when the world re-opens), you know where we are. We also have Domestic policies if you're looking at any Aussie adventures :)

Cheryl

CherylGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Very helpful with a claim

I always take travel insurance be it Domestic or overseas .I must admit that it hasn’t always been with TID .Sometimes it has been easier to book through the travel agent if travelling with a group. I did have an annual travel insurance with you at one time,but wasn’t reminded when it had finished so it wasn’t renewed .
I made a claim in February 2020 the first claim I have ever made .I wasn’t familiar with the claim process but I found the help I received from the staff was excellent
They were very patient and helpful.I would have no hesitation in telling friends how happy with the cover and correspondence with your company
Cheryl Longstaff

DestinationAustralia
Type of ClaimLost/Stolen Property
Claim DateFebruary 2020

No fuss claim process

Purchasing the policy was easy, claiming when things went wrong was also easy, overall a good experience, with regular contact throughout the claim process. Would buy again for my next trip

DestinationEast Asia (e.g. China, Japan, South Korea)
Judy K

Judy KSydney, NSW

Covid Chaos

We were booked to travel to UK and Paris but COVID-19 struck and our plans were cancelled.
Our travel agent handled the cancellations and advised us to submit a claim to our travel insurance company, which I did. Once we received the refund from the airlines TID paid a portion of the balance. TID kept in contact with me at all times and were exceptially helpful. At no time did I expect a refund on my policy because we didn't fly because .. duh that's why you pay for insurance. This is my first time with TID but this experience has been positive and I'd use them again. Judy

Insurance Cover ForSenior
Margaret

MargaretSydney, NSW

TID offer great cover, especially for snow sports. And their claims handling is super efficient when you need it

I've used TID insurance for many years as they offer good cover and great annual policy value. When I've made a claim they've handled it efficiently. TID's snow sports cover is more comprehensive than other insurers.

DestinationEurope and North America (inc. Hawaii)
Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim DateApril 2020
Claim ApprovedYes

Website down- cannot claim??

Usually am very happy with TID, but I have been trying to make a claim on the website for 10 days now and it continues to show an error message. I have emailed to contact and received no response.

Claim MadeNo

Sue b

Sue basked

The Works (Comprehensive Overseas Insurance)

We started the claims process on March 23rd via post with photo copies of receipts and other requirements.
I have made numerous phone calls and told that nothing had been received. 4 weeks later it was sitting in my login account loaded up with my written claim.
I am frustrated that any communication has been instigated by me and not TID.
Now we are being asked the breakdown charges of a European PACKAGE holiday. I think that 50 percent or more of overseas holidays are packaged . Does the traveller ever know the costs of all aspects of a PACKAGE.
Not happy with the lack of response however the staff taking calls are brilliant.

Hi Sue,

Thank you for reaching out about your claim. I understand that the delays with claims communications is incredibly frustrating and we are working hard to get through the unprecedented volumes of claims and customer service enquires brought on by COVID-19.

I'd be happy to look into this for you further and ask that your claims assessor contacts you. I'll send you a private message to get a few more details.

Kind regards,
Brenden - Customer Experience

Alex D.

Alex D.asked

TID Travel Insurance Direct

Our cruise has been cancelled due to govt guide line that no ship will depart or enter ports in Australia until 30th June 2020. therefore our trip on the 22nd May until 5th June 2020 has been cancelled due to the pandemic crisis.
A full refund has been offer by the shipping line. We want to cancel our travel insurance before it the insured date arrives. We do expect a full refund as no claim is being made.

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your patience during this time of unprecedented global events. We are experiencing large volumes of enquiries due to coronavirus (COVID-19) and are doing our best to support all of our customers.

Regarding the cancellation of your insurance, i'll send you a private message to get a few more details about your policy.

Brenden - Customer Experience

Valerie A.

Valerie A.asked

TID Travel Insurance Direct

What is happening with regards to refunds and the corona virus.
Do we get refunds on airline tickets, do we get a refund from canceling yr policy?

Hi Valerie,

I understand that you may have been waiting some time to hear from us I’m sorry for the delay but I’m here for you now.

For more information on how coronavirus (COVID-19) affects your policy, please click here:

As this is a constantly evolving situation we recommend you continue to visit our website for the latest information.

Stay safe,
Brenden

Get an answer from our members and TID Travel Insurance Direct representatives

Compare all 4 TID Travel Insurance Direct
CategoryTravel InsuranceTravel InsuranceTravel InsuranceTravel Insurance
UnderwriterXL Insurance Company SEXL Insurance Company SEXL Insurance Company SEXL Insurance Company SE
Maximum Age Covered 81 years old76 years old81 years old76 years old
Medical Coverage
Overseas Emergency Assistance Unlimited$5,000,000Not IncludedUnlimited
Accidental Death$25,000$25,000$10,000$25,000
Emergency Dental$500$500Not Included$500
Pregnancy (max weeks) 26 weeks26 weeks26 weeks26 weeks
Resumption of Journey $3,000Not IncludedNot Included$3,000
Hospital Cash Allowance$50 per day, up to $6,000$50 per day, up to $6,000Not Included$50 per day, up to $6,000
Overseas Emergency Medical & Hospital ExpensesUnlimited$5,000,000Not IncludedUnlimited
Loss of Income$9,000 (maximum $1,500 per month)Not IncludedNot Included$9,000 (maximum $1,500 per month)
Permanent Disability$12,500$12,500Not Included$12,500
Luggage & Personal Effects
Theft of Cash $250Not Included$250$250
Delayed Luggage $250 after 12 hours$250 after 12 hours$250 after 12 hours$250 after 12 hours
Credit Card Fraud$2,000 (combined with Travel Documents cover)Not Included$2,000 (combined with Travel Documents cover)$2,000 (combined with Travel Documents cover)
Travel Documents / Passport $2,000 (combined with Credit Card cover)Not Included$2,000 (combined with Credit Card cover)$2,000 (combined with Credit Card cover)
Maximum Single Item Limit $4000 (electronic devices), $700 (individual items)$2000 (electronic devices), $700 (individual items)$4000 (electronic devices), $700 (individual items)$4000 (electronic devices), $700 (individual items)
Luggage & Personal Effects $12,000$3,000$4,000$12,000
Ancillary
Personal Liability A$2,500,000A$1,000,000A$1,000,000A$2,500,000
Rental Vehicle Excess $12,000$12,000Not Included$4,000
Motorbike / Moped Coverage Included (engine size dependent on rider's licence)Included (engine size dependent on rider's licence)Included (engine size dependent on rider's licence)Included (engine size dependent on rider's licence)
Domestic Pet Care Not IncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included