See the Best Travel Insurance in 2022 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Listing monitored by TID Travel Insurance Direct

• Claim Resolution Time
    • <1 week (2)
    • 1-2 weeks (7)
    • 2-4 weeks (17)
    • 1-2 months (15)
    • 3+ months (14)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (35) · No (25)

Lisa K
Lisa KHunter Region, NSW

Delayed claim payment

Emme
EmmeSydney

Customer service went above and beyond

• Incentivised Review No
  • DestinationSouth-East Asia (e.g. Bali, Vietnam, Thailand)
  • Claim Made No
rekoaus
rekoausmelbourne

Used to be good now they will try every venue to not pay any claim

terrible customer service

We had organized travel insurance for our trip to Tasmania and decided to extend our trip. Our policy wasn’t on our portal so we tried to ring to extend it. Gave up after being on hold for over an hour and tried the next day. On hold for over an hour again to be advised that because the policy finished yesterday there is nothing they can do. Asked if they could offer any discount on a new policy and was told no discount could be offered. Terrible customer service

Albert
AlbertSouth East Queensland, QLD

Great value & Great insurance company.

I have used TID for my travel insurance many times over a number of years. Due to the Covid 19 restrictions imposed on International travel I have had to cancel my European holiday. TID were very understanding of my claim for the none refundable sections of the trip being paid back to me under the terms of my insurance policy. I would recommend TID to anyone who requires travel insurance in the future. Great company and Great service.

TravellerForever18
TravellerForever18South East Queensland, QLD

Just the coverage I needed at a great price

Great value policy which included medi vac coverage which was the main reason I took out this insurance for my 6 nights in Tasmania including a 4 day hike. And very easy on line purchase process. Have used TID before and will use them again.

Customer ExperienceTID Travel Insurance DirectSend a private message

Thank you! We love to hear this. A four day hike sounds tough... stay safe and enjoy Tassie!

Brenden - Customer Experience

TMurphy
TMurphySouth East Queensland, QLD

Complete Waste of Money

Travel insurance and COVID-19: what you need to know

For many, international travel is back on the cards. Getting travel insurance that covers COVID-19 related events can give you peace of mind so that you can enjoy your trip while being safe, smart, and prepared - and you should know what to look out for before you shop around.

Clara V.

Credit Card Awards 2020

credit-card-awards-2020
Amber X.
Amber X.South East Queensland, QLD

Poor organisation skills, poor customer service skills. Slow to resolve issues created on their end.

Server error caused 5 payments to be withdrawn from my account, valued at $500. No quick resolution. Promised they would call me back and 3 days in a row I have called. On the day of my holiday, still following up.

S Golf
S Golf

Poor claims experience

Took out insurance with TID for a trip to America in August 2019. Was admitted to hospital and had to make a claim. It took 6 months before claim was paid with communication from the claims department being incredibly slow. Every time they asked for something and I responded, another 10 business days would restart. Now a year after the trip the hospital is contacting me to chase payment that TID was meant to take care of. Now TID are again taking their time to get back to me. Never had these issues when making claims with other insurers. Would never use again

Customer ExperienceTID Travel Insurance DirectSend a private message

I'm sorry about this. I'm happy to get in contact with the team to ensure someone contacts you asap. I'll just need to send you a private message to get a few more details so I can do this. Please keep an eye on your inbox.

Regards,
Brenden

Excellent service

We have used TID for over 15 years. It is often said you only know how good the company is when you make a claim. We have claimed twice over the years and requested a refund this year due to being unable to travel. In each instance we have received prompt service and have been updated on the progress regularly. I would highly recommend TID.

Kim F.South East Queensland, QLD

WASTE OF MONEY

TID are exactly what you would expect from an insurance company. They are more than happy to take your money but when you actually have a claim they try and weasel out of every cent they can and drag out your claim for months and months just to add to your ordeal.

Kim F.

Spoken like a true insurance salesman. “As per policy wording” is insurance talk for we will find anyway we can to avoid paying.

I would not use

I have purchased may policies with TID over the past decade and never had to make a claim from my last planned trip which did not eventuate.

The tactics used by the the loss adjusters have simply made it untenable to continue with my claim and have written off the losses. Despite providing medical certificates and proof of purchase TID have requested further information that is not attainable.

The competitive pricing obviously comes at a significant cost when you need to rely on the policy. Suggest using reputable insurance companies, I certainly will be.

BazzHSouth East Queensland, QLD

Never again with this company

We put in a claim for 2 small expenses for our April/May overseas trip totaling 3% of our total holiday. Have supplied all invoices and credit card statements and they still want proof of an external flight that went ahead but offered no refund. Have supplied screenshots of flight ‘taken’ along with invoice, still want further proof. Will be going to ACCC and also social media if we don’t hear from a supervisor in the next few days.

BazzH

Ok, thank you for your assistance.

Unethical

We bought top cover for our world trip. Got caught in Europe when pandemic started. TID advised (on phone) there was no exclusions for pandemic so flights home should be covered. They weren't

Carmel Busacca
Carmel BusaccaGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Always have too cover it’s essential

I believe our cover was excellent We had to cancel our Hawaii trip due to coVid 19 so there we had to claim the team at TID where excellent very helpful and understanding our claim was resolved as quickly as possible so happy with outcome I would certainly recommend TID very professional with handling our claim Will continue using TID for our future travels our.

Caro R
Caro Rasked
TID Travel Insurance Direct

Will we receive any refund from your company, due to Cunard cancelling our cruise starting 12/112021? Policy number TIDAUS20527003. Thank you.

Anna P.
Anna P.asked
TID Travel Insurance Direct

How long do I have to make my claim through Travel Insurance Direct?
i.e How many months/years will it be honoured for?

Sue b
Sue basked
The Works (Comprehensive Overseas Insurance)

We started the claims process on March 23rd via post with photo copies of receipts and other requirements.
I have made numerous phone calls and told that nothing had been received. 4 weeks later it was sitting in my login account loaded up with my written claim.
I am frustrated that any communication has been instigated by me and not TID.
Now we are being asked the breakdown charges of a European PACKAGE holiday. I think that 50 percent or more of overseas holidays are packaged . Does the traveller ever know the costs of all aspects of a PACKAGE.
Not happy with the lack of response however the staff taking calls are brilliant.

See all TID Travel Insurance Direct questions

Get an answer from our members and TID Travel Insurance Direct representatives

Compare all 4 TID Travel Insurance Direct
CategoryTravel InsuranceTravel InsuranceTravel InsuranceTravel Insurance
UnderwriterXL Insurance Company SEXL Insurance Company SEXL Insurance Company SEXL Insurance Company SE
Maximum Age Covered 81 years old76 years old81 years old76 years old
Medical Coverage
Overseas Emergency Assistance Unlimited$5,000,000Not IncludedUnlimited
Accidental Death$25,000$25,000$10,000$25,000
Emergency Dental$500$500Not Included$500
Pregnancy (max weeks) 26 weeks26 weeks26 weeks26 weeks
Resumption of Journey $3,000Not IncludedNot Included$3,000
Hospital Cash Allowance$50 per day, up to $6,000$50 per day, up to $6,000Not Included$50 per day, up to $6,000
Overseas Emergency Medical & Hospital ExpensesUnlimited$5,000,000Not IncludedUnlimited
Loss of Income$9,000 (maximum $1,500 per month)Not IncludedNot Included$9,000 (maximum $1,500 per month)
Permanent Disability$12,500$12,500Not Included$12,500
Luggage & Personal Effects
Theft of Cash $250Not Included$250$250
Delayed Luggage $250 after 12 hours$250 after 12 hours$250 after 12 hours$250 after 12 hours
Credit Card Fraud$2,000 (combined with Travel Documents cover)Not Included$2,000 (combined with Travel Documents cover)$2,000 (combined with Travel Documents cover)
Travel Documents / Passport $2,000 (combined with Credit Card cover)Not Included$2,000 (combined with Credit Card cover)$2,000 (combined with Credit Card cover)
Maximum Single Item Limit $4000 (electronic devices), $700 (individual items)$2000 (electronic devices), $700 (individual items)$4000 (electronic devices), $700 (individual items)$4000 (electronic devices), $700 (individual items)
Luggage & Personal Effects $12,000$3,000$4,000$12,000
Ancillary
Personal Liability $2,500,000.00$1,000,000.00$1,000,000.00$2,500,000.00
Rental Vehicle Excess $12,000$12,000Not Included$4,000
Motorbike / Moped Coverage Included (engine size dependent on rider's licence)Included (engine size dependent on rider's licence)Included (engine size dependent on rider's licence)Included (engine size dependent on rider's licence)
Domestic Pet Care Not IncludedNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included