Pet Insurance Buying Guide

If you're a pet owner, you probably agree there’s nothing worse than your dog or cat getting sick or hurt. But what happens when vet bills are sky high? Pet insurance can grant you peace of mind, helping your pet get the treatment they deserve, without sending you broke.

Read now

3.8

So fast and easy!

Just made our first claim and was surprised how quick and easy the process was! Submitted photos of invoices through the online portal and the money was in our account in less than 2 business days. We were reimbursed the exact amount we anticipated after looking through our policy. Having the excess deducted from our refund made the process so easy too. No complaints here, would definitely recommend!

Claim DateAugust 2020
Ryan K.Bupa

Monthly payment for absolutely no cover!

I have been with Bupa Pet Insurance for almost 2 years, in the first year I got some money back for a few things I claimed, however this year every claim I've put through they always come back at you with "Nil Benefit". It is a $200 excess, however when you look around compared to other providers you can get similar/better cover, with a slightly higher monthly cost, to have a $0 excess and actually get 80% of your bills back! I am currently looking around as their customer service is nil existent, absolutely terrible cover and terrible service.

Claim DateJune 2020
Viv Y.Bupa
Franc

FrancGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Bupa pet insurance- don’t sign up

Made a claim for about $1000 refund was $57 better stay away from this company.
Customer care not helpful and have to be on the phone waiting for hours to be answered.

Claim DateJuly 2020

Rob D.

Rob D.Perth, WA

Nice and fast claims

No issues. Claims done quickly. Phone wait too long nearly 50 mins so done online. That was easy. Great job. Stay fast, convenient, honest and easy to use. We want convenience and you’re it.

Claim DateMay 2020
Jack

JackSydney Surrounds, NSW

Insurance, good value for money, staff were pleasant and easy to deal with, when I contacted them . Reimbursement of vet fees were paid promptly. Could not be more satisfied with the product.

Claim DateApril 2020

Not worth it

I chose the 'ultimate' cover as it states it covers up to $20,000 annually , along with the added routine care package, and pay $80.00/month. Unfortunately this insurance doesn't cover as much as they state, it only covers $250.00/year (including de-sexing, as they gave no money back for that). Whenever i ask why claims I made had a nil benefit they say it's exceeded the limit of coverage. I'm not sure what I'm paying $80.00/month for if it's not covering parts of my vet bills, especially if it didn't cover the de-sexing operation at all. I'll be shopping around for another pet insurance provider, if this is all you get from their 'ultimate'/best package, but until then I'm stuck with them.

Dane H.

Dane H.

Pathetic

Worst pet insurance ever paid for ultimate cove and my pet had an accident and had to be rusjed to the vet. Later on we were told that he wasn't covered for accident even though it stated in his policy it was. Stay away from Bupa pet insurance.

Nicole P

Nicole P

Absolute rip off

Claim DateDecember 2019
Pet Type(s) InsuredCat and Dog
Lisa L.

Lisa L.Darwin, NT

The worst customer service

I have Bupa health insurance and pet insurance for Many years. The customer service you receive from Bupa health is fantastic and the cover they provide is excellent but Bupa Pet Insurance is the complete opposite. Bupa should be ashamed of the customer service Bupa pet (pet sure) staff provide. I wish I insured else where for pet insurance. I would not recommend Bupa Pet Insurance.

Katie

Katie

Waste of money not worth it - customer service treats you like a criminal

With the $200 excess per condition and other ways this insurance is really not worthwile. 90% of my claims resulted in nil benefits. Currently I have a claim for my second dog pending for over a month because he is healthy and they don't believe us that he didn't need to see a vet during certain time periods. Doing everything they can to stall and get us to go away instead of paying us. The tone of the emails we receive from is accusatory, as if we are trying to scam them when it is in fact us that appear to have been scammed by them. Being sent the same questions over and over again, our vet has sent documents to them 3 times and they "haven't been received". It is an absolute nightmare to deal with this company.

Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim DateOctober 2019

Unexpected

We had to claim a large expense for our dog and were happily surprised to receive a larger than expected refund . It has been worth having bupa pet insurance !! Our policy is certainly good value

JamesP

JamesPGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Ordinary - but they all are

They were generally polite and helpful when I had contact with them (never made a claim), however, price increases every year, which you expect, but then just recently they increased the premium by 25%!!!

That is just gouging, in my opinion, so I cancelled my policy and decided I will take responsibility for my dog and keep them all out of the picture.

Claim MadeNo
Chyrel S.

Chyrel S.

Pet insurance claim

Had a good experience with phone calls dmd explained online claims well. My claim was completed and refunded within two days. I was so happy with my BUPA Pet Insurance as Id never had a claim before

Claim DateOctober 2019
Marisha R.

Marisha R.Perth, WA

Disappointing - Pet Insurance Customer Service

Claim DateJuly 2019
Pet Type(s) InsuredDog

Takes the pain out of claims

Claim DateJuly 2019

Rosie

RosieHunter Region, NSW

Fabulous and thank goodness for my insurance

Claimed for my Cocker Spaniel surgery and some consultations. After my vet released the notes the payment for the claim as smooth and effortless. I submitted everything online and when I called them the operator was very knowledgeable and helpful.

Deb

DebCentral West, NSW

No time waiting

I made a claim for my Great Dane online. I attached my receipts from the vet and vet notes for his condition. Was very simple to do. Within a matter of days I had the money that I was entitled to reimbursed to my bank account. The last claim I made through a specialist in Sydney a year or so ago was exactly the same. I am very happy with Bupa and I think their yearly rates are very good also.

Claim DateApril 2019

Pet insurance

I have had a few health issues with my fur baby recently and had to pay a large amount for her care. Bupa pet insurance was very quick in regards to paying me back 80 percent of the total amount back into my account. Making a claim is so easy to do online yourself through the Bupa web site. I highly recommended Bupa for your pet insurance.

Beaglier Owner

Beaglier OwnerSydney, NSW

Glad we had insurance for this year

We had quite a few issues the past year with our Beaglier. First a Ruptured ear drum, then removing a lump and lots of follow up appointments at our local vet as well as at Sydney Uni Vet Hospital. Our dog was well looked after each time but it was an expensive year for her. It worked out well for us this year, and having the insurance left us ahead $500 (as opposed to if we didn't have the insurance this past year).
Lots of paperwork to lodge, but once it's all done BUPA paid us very quickly.

Claim DateFebruary 2019
Number of Pets-1 pets
Louie

Louie

Cruciate ligament

Pleased with the service but the process was a bit daunting. The policy said he was covered but this didn't happen easily. A lot of paper work done by my vet. Why is claiming for pets not as easy as claiming for oneself?