Bupa Pet Insurance

Bupa Pet Insurance

Good policy that is expensive and paperwork heavy

Each claim requires paperwork completed by the vet. Should be easier for us and vet. Would like more paid back to us. I've been with them for 4 years and premium has increased. Phone support is offshore anr the staff werent familiar with basic pet anatomy.

Claim ApprovedYes

Disappointing. The claim covered less than 75% of the surgery. My pet recovered before they paid out the claim.

My pet underwent major surgery and I submitted a claim as soon as she was discharged.
I was soon asked for a list of veterinary practices the pet had visited to which I complied.
I also, on my own, contacted the vets and obtained my own copy of my pet's medical records and submitted them to Bupa.
I didn't hear anything until a month later, they sent me a new email asking the same question.
I told them they already had it and sent it all through again.
A month later I called them asking why they hadn't processed my claim, they said, no joke, that they didn't have her medical history.
After a back and forth over the next couple of weeks they eventually paid out the maximum amount, which is still over $1000 less than the cost of the surgery.
I will remain with Bupa though because my pet still has a bunch of other limbs she'll no doubt hurt at some point. Today the poor thing ran into a goal post, but she is ok.

Claim Resolution Time3+ months

Best Pet Insurances

This insurance is good value for our valuable pets but most of all it’s a sensible policy. Responsible pet owners are listened to and assisted so that their pets can be given the best care because animal care is so expensive. Communication is great, claims are quick and reasonable. After horrific experiences with other companies in the past I will always use BUPA.

Claim ApprovedYes

Cannot emphasise the value of pet insurance enough

I changed to Bupa three years ago because the previous insurer made claiming very difficult and had very narrow parameters within which to claim. My dog just snuck in as a nearly nine yo at the time I changed. After being a very healthy, fit dog all his life, he suddenly started having major health issues with mini strokes and autoimmune disease. I have racked up about $20,000 worth of vet bills over the last two years, got about 80% back and yet my premium remains very affordable. Vets were at a loss about how to treat him and I could not have forked out the money for expensive diagnostics and hospitalisation. Without insurance, I would have been facing the decision to put him down. Claims are easy and made through my vet so no messy paperwork, are resolved within a few days and usually in my favour. Obviously, given he's on lifetime medication, I've reached limits on some items and had claims denied, but $50 a month for those is not going to break the bank. I'd recommend Bupa because it gave me the ability to pursue a definitive diagnosis and subsequent treatment that is keeping my pup alive and happy. Two thumbs up for Bupa

Happy with Service

I am very surprised at the service provided by Bupa Pet Insurance. My claims were easy to put through online and processed without any delays. I would highly recommend this insurance.

Great insurance

Great value for money, this is the first pet I've ever insured. Bagheera has had more health concerns than any other I've ever had so I'm greatfull I started the insurance as a kitten.The response times are very good and if you have any enquires they are more than happy to assist. I have no complaints what's so ever & would be more than happy to recommend Bupa.

Pet Type(s) InsuredCat

WORST PET INSURANCE - BEWARE

I have recently changed from Bupa Health Insurance and Pet Insurance to other providers due to my recent dealings with Bupa Pet Insurance Company. They are bullies, trying to get away with reimbursing me for our puppy Hulk. Due to some technicalities they are not insuring my puppy. I hope the royal commission takes on companies like Bupa as they are the biggest scammers alive. I warn everyone, do not go with Bupa just because they are cheap. They are cheap for a reason.

Claim Resolution Time1-2 months

Excellent Value

Excellent value with affordable premiums. The claims department was very reliable, quick with processing of all claims and extremely professional however still kind and understanding and compassionate when needed in dealing with them over the telephone.

Claim ApprovedYes

The outcome was every bit as promised

The payments made each month paled into insigificence when the claim was processed; after being with the company for about 2 years I would say the time was well spent

Claim DateFebruary 2019

First time user. Impressed

I have had BUPA/MBF insurance for decades so I decided to try BUPA pet insurance for my latest dog. ( Have used many different pet insurance products over those same decades).
Had to claim recently for emergency pet ICU for 3 days with a claim close to $6000. I received the 80% refund very promptly. Glad to say the dog has now recovered. Thanks BUPA.

Claim ApprovedYes

Simple and effective insurance.

This is our third year with Bupa Pet Insurance. If you follow their rules and instructions, they are very easy to deal with and payments of claims are prompt. We had a vet account over $9000.00 and there were no delays processing our claims.
Thank you Bupa!

Claim DateDecember 2018
Claim ApprovedYes

Excellent srrvice. Statement delivery and online account could be better!

Policy is very good value, especially accident cover when my dog was bitten by a snake I got back 85% of the $3300 vet bill. Great cover for only around $20/month. It would be good though if you could view everything you've submitted against the claim online and have the statement emailed or uploaded to the online account when it's ready, rather then having it posted out.

Number of Pets3 pets
Claim Resolution Time<1 week

Beware of excess

We made our first claim last month and was aware a $200 excess would be deducted. 3 weeks on we made a further claim for a repeat scan after treatment for same condition. Our claim incurred a further $200 excess because it went into a new renewal year. Claim was processed quickly but we believe getting charged 2 excesses for the one condition was unfair.

Claim Resolution Time<1 week

Excellent insurance

Outstanding product, very efficient and prompt process of claims. Well done. Keep the good work going. We could not afford not to have this insurance product.
Congratulations to all the staff which are friendly and helpful

Claim ApprovedYes

Long delays with claim processing

Blamed delays on being too busy. Clinical history that was emailed wasn't attached to the file, and was left up to me to chase it up. Having said that, claim was eventually paid. Check PDS carefully for exclusions (big ticket items especially).

Claim DateJanuary 2019

Let’s face it, the cover isn’t cheap, but it’s way better than paying thousands in vet fees & getting zero back.

Whilst the policy isn’t cheap, once I got things up & running to make claims I’ve been very happy with the speed of the refunds on claims & the amount of refund, so far. And I love that my vet can put the claim through.

Claim DateNovember 2018

So easy to deal with

We unfortunately had our 10 month old golden retriever get a paralysis tick and need treatment. It was super easy to claim and also quick to process the claim. This is our first ever claim and they made it so easy.

Number of Pets4 pets
Pet Type(s) InsuredCat and Dog
Claim DateNovember 2018

So fortunate to have Bupa

Have been with Bupa for about a year my dog required both elbows to have surgery- a stressful time but Bupa paid 80% - very relieved when the claim came through- 5k vet bill is not great to receive- no hassles with the claims

Very happy with BUPA!

I obtained insurance for my Doberman Mack in about September 2018. In January 2019, he was attacked by a pitbull and required surgery to fix a puncture in his neck. The vet bill and other expenses were approximately $1,800. After making the claim, I received 80% back very quickly. The promptness was greatly appreciated as I was on holidays at the time of the attack and returned home to a big vet bill and a sore puppy.

Claim ApprovedYes

Staff were great but disappointed in the overall outcome.

Staff were incredibly easy to communicate with and very sympathetic towards my situation unfortunately there was nothing they could have done. I'm left to deal with the full cost for something that could have been avoided had bupa used my preferred method of contact.

Claim MadeNo