Bupa Travel Insurance

Bupa Travel Insurance

Customer service staff exceptional!!!!

We needed to talk to Bupa Travel insurance phone staff whilst we were overseas and back in Australia and I was exceptionally impressed on their outstanding customer service. They were both so friendly and courteous and explained what I needed to do, for our situation, in an easy to understand way. I felt extremely supported and comforted by their level of expertise and guidance. Our policy was a very reasonable cost and our claim was handled with great ease and efficiency. This will be our 'go to' policy for every Travel insurance need we have in the future. Thank you so much.

Insurance Cover For:Adult and Teenager
DestinationAsia
Insurance TypeSingle Trip

I will never use BUPA!

I usually use BUPA when I travel overseas but last year when I tried to make a claim due to the fact my flight was delayed by 15hrs which meant I lost 1-day accommodation & my car transfer was missed to due my flight. BUPA said I could not make that claim because it was a a technical issue with the airline. Is this not the reason why we buy travel insurance????

Misleading policy

My flight was delayed in Vietnam overnight for 18 + hours. I had to urgently get to Sydney and took another flight, thinking (based on the policy) I was covered for delayed travel. Some pages of the policy stated: “canceled or rescheduled travel” unlimited for singles. The fine print unfortunately meant that if the carrier has delayed due to engineering reasons, I wasn’t covered at all for the alternate flight I purchased. Also I had to chase up the CGU end of the operation to get any clarification, they weren’t overly proactive about getting in touch.

They kick you out when you are 70

3 years now I had the travel insurance and thankfully never had to use it. Now I got a letter, that they kick me out because I am 70 years old. What a poor policy this is!

Insurance claim madeNo
Hi, Thank you for your feedback, I'm sorry to hear this. If you can please send me a private message with your name and phone number, I will arrange one of our team members to talk this through with you. It would be best to discuss this and get a copy of your letter, but I believe you may be referring to a response after completing a medical assessment before purchasing a policy for international travel. I look forward to helping you with this matter. Thanks, Sarah

Conditions not covered.

Disappointed to find out that BUPA Travel Insurance (CGU) was not able to cover my pre exisitng condition although I have not had problems doing so in the past either through BUPA or alternate travel insurers.

Insurance claim madeNo
Hi Puna, We're sorry to hear of your disappointing experience. I would like to ensure this matter is followed up. Could you please private message me with your name, policy number/claim number, plus a phone number for us to contact you on? Many thanks, Sarah

Helpful with first time claim settled

I used Bupa travel insurance for a trip to Europe last year, I made a claim as airport lines and set up made me miss my flight and as result of this the return trip was then cancelled by the flight operator. I purchased alternative tickets to get to and from my destination. I made a claim when I got back home and they were helpful in telling me what information I need to support and process my claim.

The process was simple and straight forward and very happy that I went with them.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Damian, Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We are pleased to hear you had a good expeience. Kind Regards, Sarah

Insurance Claim settled quickly and profesionally

Unfortunately due to becoming ill I was unable to travel and my travelling companion and had to cancel ouroverseas holiday. We rang Bupa claims and they organised a claims consultant who listed the necessary documentation they needed. We sent this through Friday and had our total claim approved on Monday including the visa's and medical expenses incurred. We highly recommend using Bupa travel insurance - good value for money, the claims service was professional and prompt. Very impressed.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Ruth, Many thanks for your feedback. We are pleased to hear you had a good experience. All the best, Sarah

Did Not Need Insurance

The policy was good value.
The Cruise followed the Cyclone "Iris" up the Queensland coast where our Cruise was going and believe it or not "Iris" turned around while we were in Cairns and the Cruise followed her back down the coast .we still enjoyed the Cruise although three days were very "Rock and Roll" Very good entertainment-Very good Crew.
I am so glad that I did not have to claim on Insurance

Insurance claim madeNo
Hi Ron, Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your experience. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your cruise. Thanks, Sarah

travel insurance that is worth to consider ..

Have looked up many travel insurances' review. Bupa so far is the best. One thing that I like about Bupa is that - whether or not the issues raised will be rectified down the track, what impressed me is the staff do actively read and try to reply most of the reviews. Review=aware+rooms to improve the policy or the processing procedures=good customer services=more future businesses = more of the good customers reviews.

Hi Lyn, Thank you for your feedback, it's much appreciated. Kind Regards, Sarah

Heath conditions that are not covered

I was disappointed that there is no cover for heart conditions. Even if your condition was resolved more than 20 years prior to travel there is no avenue to provide Specialist Doctor reports to get cover. I will be going with another insurer that will cover me with a doctors advise on my next trip.

Insurance claim madeNo
Hi there, I am sorry to hear of your experience. Would it be possible for someone from our Customer Service team to contact you to talk through your experience? I understand if you don't wish to discuss this matter further based on your experience to date but I will private message you to determine next steps. Thanks Sarah

Very supportive, quick and generous

My policy was fantastic value. I have a pre existing medical condition. And after ended up in hospital whilst on a tour (although it wasn't directly related to my condition-but my condition made the situation worse), they reimbursed me costs for non direct medical bills which i still needed to purchase to make sure my holiday remained as comfortable as possible. At the time I thought it would only be the physical hospital bill/script medicine reimbursed which was the much smaller portion of what I spent. The whole claim process only took 24 hours. And the money was in my acc the next business day. Only complain was when the lady rang me back to chat further, she left SGIC's number so I wasted 45 mins on the phone to them totally confused as the people I should have been talking to were CGU.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Sarah, Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We are really pleased to hear you had a good experience. We have also taken on your feedback about the phone number. Thanks, Sarah

Hidden exclusions in travel insurance. I'm going back to RAA.

I took out domestic travel insurance. Our flight was cancelled at the last minute so we had to buy expensive last minute tickets to get there, but I had read the insurance PDS and had seen that on page 6 of the PDS, the Australian Plan covered us for cancelled or rescheduled planes and the amount was 'unlimited'. And also, a bit contradictorily, on page 17 it clearly stated "We will cover the reasonable costs of additional accommodation and travel expenses that result from you being delayed or interrupted." Immediately after this, it stated; "Under the Australian Plan we will pay up to $10,000 for Singles and $20,000 for Doubles." So I felt confident we could recover this additional expense just $170. I was wrong. Under the above information, after the PDS says "yes we will cover expenses from delayed or rescheduled flights", and "we'll pay up to $10,000 of expenses", was a list "oh but we won't cover it unless....your plane was hijacked, or crashed, or severe weather, or your travel companion died, or if you broke your 3rd toe in a helicopter accident on a Wednesday in May". Just searching the 68 page document for 'cancelled flights' was not enough. No. You need to read every single paragraph and even if the paragraph appears to end after saying how much they will cover and how huge the payout can be, they will then go on to explain exclusions. Many exclusions. And they are sometimes hidden under separate headings. It's not under Cancelled or Rescheduled Travel. It's not under Delayed or Interrupted Travel. It's under another heading "Additional Expenses" after the claim to cover all, up to 10,000 per single. Hidden. Very unclear. Devious even. Claim denied.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Tess, We are very sorry to hear about the experience you have had with Bupa Travel Insurance. I would like to ensure this matter is followed up. Could you please private message me with your name, policy number/claim number, plus a phone number for us to contact you on? Many thanks, SarahI do not know how to private message you, Sarah. I've lost $170 but I am happy in knowing I may have stopped some others from mistakenly thinking cancelled flights are covered and to consider this before taking out insurance with BUPA. Thanks anyway.Hi Tess, thanks for your message. I have sent you a private message in which you can reply to. Thanks, Sarah

Very Poor

Currently going through a dispute process. It was to my surprise that the travel policy is not BUPA but unwritten by CGU. Dealing with the representatives was stressful, and it felt like the first instance was to reject a claim irrespective of the details and the circumstances. I only went with BUPA because I have Health Insurance with them. I shall be reviewing that policy now based on them washing their hands of the claim.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Steve, We are sorry to hear about your experience and I would like to ensure this matter is followed up as soon as possible. Could you please private message me with your name, policy number/claim number, plus a phone number for us to contact you on? Many thanks, SarahPlease provide me your contact details and I shall contact you directly. Thanks SteveHi Steve, I have just sent you a private message. Thanks, Sarah

Very Helpful

While we didnt need to use our insurance, we had to change our trip due to Cyclone Gita. BUPA gave us good support and advice to get us on our way safely to a new destination

Insurance claim madeNo
Hi there, Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We are pleased to hear we could help in your situation and you had a good experience. Kind Regards, Sarah

Online Travel Insurance

Received an email regarding travel insurance with an added 10% off to their members 15% off. If you have an existing medical condition and it's approved online, you MUST phone Bupa. Bupa, however, are unable to give you the extra 10% as it only applies to online. Works well if you have no premedical condition.

Incredibly poor experience with BUPA

Having had private cover with BUPA for over 15 years we took out travel insurance while on an extended break overseas to visit family. I had an unforseen health issue while overseas and when I returned attempted to lodge a claim. It was incredibly difficult to do so as when we went to BUPA they could not deal with it at the local office, as they said it was a wholesale policy. After spending 2 or 3 hours on phone calls explaining the issue they requested we go back to the doctor and specialist we had used overseas to verify the claim even though we provided receipts and a report from the specialist which gave complete details of the issue. We found their claims processor incredibly unhelpful and unfriendly. Going back to doctors and specialists overseas takes time and costs additional money even though we provided full details and a detailed report form the specialist when making the claim. I will never use BUPA again either for travel insurance or ongoing health insurance in Australia.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Patrick I am sorry to hear of the issues that you experienced when making a claim on your Bupa Travel Insurance policy. Would it be possible for someone from our Customer Service team to contact you to talk through your experience and the claims outcome? I understand if you don't wish to discuss this matter further based on your experience to date but will private message you to determine next steps. Thanks Claire

Bupa Travel Insurance comprehensive & affordable

I've used Bupa Travel insurance for several years now.The Customer Service each time has been excellent. Fortunately I have not experienced any mishaps & haven't needed to make a claim. I'd expect the same positive outcomes and service if I did.

Simple but unhelpful

BUPA travel insurance was easy and simple to get, no hassles to organise cover for my 3months in South America. The problem however was when I was trying to extend the length of my cover as I extended the length of my trip. BUPA was non-existent to help me, wouldn’t return my emails and kept getting disconnected when they had to put me through to someone on the phone. While I probably would take out travel insurance with them again I’ll just be sure not to extend my trips.

Insurance claim madeNo

BUPA Travel Insurance? Simple!

We travel a lot and have used BUPA Travel Insurance for years. Getting BUPA insurance by phone is easy, and represents great value for money. They know our medical history and accept pre-existing conditions that other insurers just do not touch. We have rarely had to claim, but BUPA's Claims service is outstanding; their staff are exceptionally helpful; and payment is made promptly and without difficulty. What is promised is what is delivered, and we won't consider changing!

Value for money...

I took out Bupa Travel as it was a feature of my policy; in terms of value for money I couldn't have asked for better. The customer service which was provided in the initial instance could not be faulted and the amount i paid for the level of cover provided was very satisfying.

I will definitely insure through Bupa travel again.

Insurance claim madeNo

I am travelling to Thailand for an extended stay as I do each year. I own a motorcycle over there. Yes I have an Australian motorcycle licence and a Thai motorcycle licence and wear a helmet. Now my concern. I worry about lying on the road somewhere after an accident and being taken to a private hospital Am I covered for private hospital? I need a policy that will cover private care because the public hospitals are bad Even Thai people say they might die in public hospital system. Just need peace of mind that if something happens I can get good emergency treatment at a private hospital Phil
Hi Phil, It might be better to talk to BUPA themselves as our particular policy said that we weren't covered for quad bikes or motorcycles in Bali. They were great when we asked questions so hopefully you can give them your scenario and they will give you a direct answer.

Hi there, may I ask if non-Australian is eligible for the BUPA travel insurance and does it covers pregnancy? I'm a Malaysian and going to Australia for holiday. I'm looking for travel insurance that can cover pregnancy while in Australia.

Hi there, I made a travel Insurance for me and i am pregnant, during all the process i was not asked if i am pregnant or not but i heard from others that they cover me anyway...is that correct? i got the premium one* thank you in advance.

Similar listings