Castrol Magnatec

See the Best Engine Oils in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Do not use, unless from a new engine....

Into a 2.8 Rodeo turbo diesel @ 120K started smoking like Winston Churchill, can only hope it hasn't damaged the valve seals. Flush and go back to Valvoline Super Diesel. The best non Synthetic oil.

oil is like horses for courses

my 2000 magna tj has done 275 kms so far i bought it with 80,000 kms and i think the magnatec oil is best suited for it.I once went 15,000ks without a service and the engine never skipped a beat the oil was very dark but not black,so i think the magnetic molecules does really work.

Purchased in July 2004.

Rattle in the rockers

I have used magnatec for 20 years on my turbo cars and was very brand loyal as my cars never went wrong. I recently made up a 185kW turbo charged MX5 and it always had a rattle in the rockers until it built up oil pressure on start-up. I changed oil to old faithful magnatec and the rattle remained so next time round I thought I would push the boat out and go for a nulon full synthetic 10w-40 and hey presto no more rattle...... ever. I will now be recommending Nulon synthetic going forward and have also change my partners subaru oil to nulon.
I have now flogged off any magnatec I had in the garage for $1 on trademe (NZ version of ebay).

Purchased in February 2018.

Absolutely rubbish oil

Made the mistake of using this oil some years ago, even though I was warned it's pure junk. Ran over summer for less than 5000 km in a Buick 3800 V6, when oil was drained you could observe it had sheared down to nothing. It basically wasn't protecting anything anymore and looked like had done more like 25000km.

I wanted to find out why this oil was so bad and how it got this reputation and I found out it's mostly straight mineral oil with about 2% ester added in (that's where the "intelligent molecule" and "clings to surfaces" marketing jargon comes from). They also label this mixture "part synthetic".

Mineral oil was just passable in a thick 50 weight (old skool 20w-50), drop it down to 40 and it shears too quickly. Modern oil nowadays depends on a good full synthetic base stock, not cheap mineral, and also a strong additive package. This oil has neither and wouldn't be fit for a lawnmower.

However, Castrol knows how to make excellent oils, they are the Magnatec Professional series and NOT sold in retail stores, only to workshops.

Purchased in December 2015.

Good value and quality oil

Are there better oils out there? Definitely and you pay accordingly. This product isn’t for you if you run a highly strung engine, go racing or require manufacturer specific oils.

This product is intended for the average motorist. I’m a car enthusiast myself and like keep my vehicles in top shape and like to get the best value (I’m not talking cheap and nasty).

I came across the product due to the regular deals at auto stores for 10w-40 and I wanted to standardise motor oil for all the family’s vehicles (family has 10 cars between us) - means less inventory and therefore less cost.

Been running this oil for many years with no issues - never used oil additives. Just oil and oil filter changes.

You no longer need oil additives - this oil will keep your engine very clean - if you have an engine with some light sludging - simply running this oil for the recommended interval along with oil filter you will instantly notice the inside of the engine getting cleaner.

Most of my driving is heavy urban and short distance freeway - which is very punishing for any oils due to fuel enrichment and carbon.

Pros:
- keeps the engine super clean (actually observing inside the cam cover and looking at the cams)
- great anti-sludge control for engines prone to sludge, due to strict emission controls.
- noticeably smoother operation
- excellent thermal stability, observation from oil temp gauge.
- value for money when on sale

Cons (nothing, but if I had to nit pick):
- tricky marketing can confuse people
- causes exhaust to be stinky on cold mornings, observation compared to other oils.

Purchased in January 2019 at Repco for $30.00.

Solved a deep-seated problem

Although our pre-loved Skoda Octavia came with a bundle of proof-of-service dockets the car was a total disaster gulping a litre of oil every 450ks accompanied by much smoke. Our mechanic took out the plugs and they were scarcely usable. The diagnosis was that the previous owner had run the car on lowest grade ethanol and supermarket oil. We ignored Skoda's recommended oil grade (too late for that anyway) and filled up with Magnatec 10W-40. Three tankfuls of 98 octane petrol and a set of new plugs later and we never knew anything was wrong. Been using Magnatec ever since.

Purchased in November 2018.

sludge blocked oil strainer

would not recommend.... after using for this oil for more than 50 k plus.and regular 10k or less oil changes. last oil change at only 5k previously . engine oil light came on at idle and damaged the engine and turbo and needed a full rebuild, oil pickup screen was blocked with oily sludge...be warned.....

Carhilux kun26

Perfecto

I tried a number of different oils from mineral(15w40 nulon etc)semi synthetic (10w40 megnatec etc) synthetic (Penrith 5w40 -Castrol edge 5w30 etc) till I came across megnatec 5w30 stop start great oil with a difference really happy finally oh and on a last note I also found nulon 5w30 an excellent oil

CarFord territory 2004 with 250 000 ks on clock

Perfect, Genuine

I have found a genuine oil after a long time. Car is very smooth and temperature of oil is 4-5 degree celcius lower than before. Car mileage is 192k and its 530i bmw. I have not seen any better oil than this is my career of over 20 years till date. Its liquid engineering.

CarBMW 530i E60

Great oil

Before changing the oil to Castrol magnitec my car had noticeable tappet noise. Immediately after the oil change and filter replacement the engine was notably quieter. The engine definitely feels a lot smoother than before.
Definitely recommend this oil to anyone who wants to preserve their engine and reduce wear.

CarMazda cx7

Good oil

After changing engine oil from nulon long life to Castrol magnates, actually nothing changed much. What I can notice is it is more easier to rev up a little bit when accelerating. Other things like fuel economy, noise level, power does not changed much. I’ll say this is a good oil, concerned with its price, and it’s a "full" synthetic oil. Sometimes even cheaper than OZ brand Nulon and Penrite.

Car2008 Toyota Camry

Excellent oil.

Been using Magnatec oil for many years, and wouldn't use anything else. It does exactly what it says it does, and the engine in my car loves it. Oil pressure is strong on start-up, and keeps strong even when hot. The previous oils with similar viscosity I used caused my engine's lifters to tick when hot, but not with this oil. The engine spins freely, and effortlessly. HIGHLY recommended oil!

Car1997 Ford Probe GT

suspicious review by "Someone" using wrong viscosity

Username Someone says, "Horror. The oil thickens for unknown reasons and chokes the engine. Like a glue." If that's true, it's probably because he used 10w-40 in cars that call for 5w-30. Misapplication equals product bashing? Like there already wasn't sludge in a 20 year old beater and other older cars? Also in the USA Magnatec is full synthetic.

Car2013 Honda Accord

Best ever

My Ford xr6 loves it and still very clean after 5000ks. Wouldn't use anything else...Anyone who says it sludges up must is lying or just plain out bull shitting them self's. Go grab a bottle and try it for your self. I promise you won't be disappointed.I won't use anything else.

CarFord xr6

Synonym for no quality

Horror. The oil thickens for unknown reasons and chokes the engine. Like a glue. I have never seen so much sludge in the car, although I was forced to change it at 2-3k km because I start losing it for some reason. Fuel economy is nonexistent with it. My mechanic recommended it to me and I used it in three petrol cars (my friend used it also, and had the same problems on diesel). When I took over the repair of the car in my hands, I used many oils and I never had such problems. I honestly would not recommend it to anyone.

CarFord Escort, VW Polo, Ford Focus

Best on the market

Brought this oil from Supercheap Auto on a few ocassions now because it has been the best we have ever used in our 2010 Ford Territory.
The car actually does run better and so much smoother from the first drive. Is definately worth the money and if you buy through Supercheap Auto and are a member and it goes on sale then you get some money back.

Car2010 Ford Territory Auto Petrol

High quality oil I could feel as soon as I drove after the oil and filter change !

I have used many types of engine oil in the past but never really felt any REAL difference. Granted that , psychologically, I felt that high quality oil surely is good for the engine. However, with the Castrol Magnatec 10W30, well, I could feel a difference !!! The car runs smoother and I could feel it !

CarMazda 6, 2005 ( May 2005 upgrade) , GG series, 2.3l, 5 speed auto.

Quality oil

I have always use this oil for many years and am pleased with the manufacturer's claims. My cars have run exceptionally well with using this oil. I try to purchase a few cans of this oil when it is on specials. The service intervals of my cars are usually 5000 to 7000 kms.

CarHonda Civic, Toyota Levin, Toyota MR 2, Toyota Corolla, Mazda 3 and Mitsubishi Galant

Do the job

Used this oil for toyota echo and i replaced this oil every 6000 ks and found this oil do the job, so i recommended this oil from now and i bought this oil castrol 10w40 when it can be half price at auto stores and thanks to magnatec technology

CarToyota Echo 2005

Great product

You can feel the different after the change. Really recommended for other users. Save me almost half $ on a synthetic oil when there is offer. But this product will slip thru the oil pan (old car). Not a main issue for me, just need to top up for the first month and gone later.

Car2004 toyota camry altis ACV36

My toyota corolla 2012 done 20000 kms is 10w-40 magnetic oil good for it ??
I have only used Diesel magnatec mate. I wouldn't tend to use it in a high km. engine. I would go to the oil manufacturers websites and click on the recommended oil viscosity for your particular vehicle. I prefer Valvoline or Penrite myself. Once you choose an oil you are best to stay with it on each change. Semi synthetics are ok and good enough. I run Penrite everyday plus 15w/40 in my 07 Camry.Yes indeed magnatec would be okay being semi synthetic it would definitely protect the engine with very high mileage.

Can I use 10W40 for camry 2015
I would go for full synthetic Nulon 10/40 but that is just my experience with a totally different car that I previously used Castrol 10/40

can i use it in my ford territory 2004

Castrol Magnatec Fuel Saver 5W-30Castrol Magnatec STOP-START 10W-30Castrol Magnatec 10W-40Castrol Magnatec DIESEL DX 5W-40Castrol Magnatec DIESEL 15W-40Castrol Magnatec STOP-START 0W-20Castrol Magnatec STOP-START 5W-30
CategoryEngine OilsEngine OilsEngine OilsEngine OilsEngine OilsEngine OilsEngine Oils
Price (RRP)49.9945.9941.9954.9943.9951.99