Worst Insurer due to claims process, painful nothing but hassles.

Plan covers drivers under 25No
Car ModelFord Focus LZ (Hatchback)
Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateNovember 2019

Danny

DannySydney, NSW

Rubbish

Had a crash and now my car is sitting at home waiting for it to be towed and assessed and they still cant come after over a week so Im gonna tow it myself.

annaGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

STAY AWAY FROM CGU

WARNING to steer away from CGU! Worst company ever! They will try and find any policy to try not to pay you what is rightfully yours. Even the top manager will fabricate his own policy to get away with not paying you and us workaholics cant afford expensive lawyers to fight against them. Do yourself and everyone else you know a favour - STAY AWAY.

Insurance TypeComprehensive, Compulsory Third Party, Third Party Property Damage, Third Party, Fire and Theft and Veteran, Vintage and Classic Vehicle

Thanks Natalie.

Horrible! Company that provides misleading information.

We have been with this insurance company for 3 years and it is only when it comes to being involved in a car crash that you realise how unreliable they are. Signed us up for insurance telling us that an under 25 driver was insured. When it has come time to claim a not at fault collision, it has been rejected because the cover had 'inexperienced driver' not 'age' as the excess. We were not explained this at the time of commitment.
Contacted the company and was told because the original conversation occurred in person, not over the phone there was no evidence/recording and that we essentially had no rights.
Company doesn't care about customers, only about dollars.
Wouldn't recommend to anyone.

Claim MadeYes
Claimant is the policy holder No
Claim Resolution Time<1 week

Neb-Maat-ReAU

Bureaucratic, argumentative & unpleasant to deal with

Karin

KarinDarwin, NT

While customer service can be a little slow in responding (heavy workload possibly??) I am very happy with the value of the service provided to me. It's the first time I had to submit a claim and the outcome was excellent. Good repairer, good customer service by CGU in resolving the matter. Thank you!

Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Care TeamCGU

Hi Karin, thank you for the positive review. Let us know in the future if you ever need further assistance. ~ Jono

The Worst Insurance decision of my life.

The worst experience ever. I will never recommend CGU and cannot wait for the day I leave. CGU do not deserve a 1 star rating but that is the lowest I can give them.
Been with them 6mths.
I have contacted CGU over 10 times over 3wks and have never had a response.
There communication systems are call centres overseas and the assessor here never speaks to you. They have had my car 3 wks and they treat people with total disregard.
I contacted the financial obudsmen and they referred me back to cgu.
3 wks no car and no response from assessor after multiple phone calls and emails.
Never use this company is my recommendation.

Car ModelHonda Civic 10th Gen (Hatchback) VTi-LX
Claim DateSeptember 2019
Dom T.

The worst vehicle insurer in Australia

Plan covers drivers under 25No
Car ModelFord Ranger PX.II (2015-Present)
Claim DateAugust 2019

Poor insurance company

My car was stolen for two months,Without compensation, they also asked the investigator to conduct a comprehensive investigation of me, including your income, your friends, call records,After two months, the police found my car. I need some repairs. They still try to stop me from repairing.I haven't fixed my car until now.During the claim period, you must pay for your insurance.Don't apply for this insurance company. They only try a thousand ways to make no claims! Very bad

Warren

WarrenMelbourne

CGU got my policy wrong after a month, yeah right.

Hit from behind 1 month ago agreed a figure after 3 weeks CGU got policy wrong and I have to deal with 3rd party insurer Asked to get pictures of car but it has moved from Dandenong to Pickles Dodgy.

Insurance TypeThird Party, Fire and Theft
Car ModelHolden Commodore VZ
Claim DateJuly 2019
Care TeamCGU

Hi Warren, not the way we want you feeling during a claim. If you would like us to chase it up - please message us by going to https://www.facebook.com/cguinsurance/ and let us know you're from Product Review. ~Natalie

nothappyjan

nothappyjanGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Never again with this insurer

Car ModelMazda 2
Claim DateMarch 2019

SarahSouthwest, VIC

Terrible doesn’t even begin to describe this company

3 weeks ago a CGU client ran into the back of our car. Our car is unable to be driven. My husband was waiting so long on the phone to get through to CGU that twice he gave up. When he finally got through he was told there was “a hold up” but no further details. CGU have made no effort to contact us despite photos and their form being forwarded from the panel beaters.
We a struggling with one car- 2 of us working full time and a school child. We are NOT at fault!! Why should we be made to wait! Disgraceful lack of service and understanding. Would never insure with CGU

Angeline

AngelinePerth, WA

Hopeless service from CGU

Insurance TypeComprehensive and Compulsory Third Party

kumar

kumarSouth East Queensland, QLD

one of the worst cgu insurance case manager totally no knowledge

hot line doesn't work. I have been hung up on several times. I have been waiting in line for more than 45 min.
Your team doesn't resolve anything. Doesn't call back when they say they would. Dragging out to pay for my claim and I can't get my car repaired
Absolutely ridiculous and useless company. one accident aske pay do claim to spertate what a joke.. give me a date to fix car next may 8th 2019... they said not sure what will happen . no contact nothing further information

Claim DateApril 2019

ChrisVictoria

Appalling experience - still dragging on through numerous communication breakdowns

Absolute Sh*t

Phone line doesn't work. I have been hung up on several times. I have been waiting in line for more than 45 min.
Absolutely ridiculous and useless company

jo l cCentral, SA

Make the process more stressful, upsetting and horrible.

Car ModelHolden Captiva
Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateJanuary 2019
jo l c

Thanks for the response, my claim was finally sorted, but company still took premium payments after the case was closed, still waiting on my refund.

Care TeamCGU

Let us know if you don't get the refund resolved jo~Renae

williamSydney

CGU/HBF the worst applying experience

Insurance claim madeNo
william

Dear Kaz, was it actually possible to make amendments? Your reply is about nothing. Apologies but I do not see here that you would resolve such issues for other customers in the future.

Tara Grove

Tara Grove

Terrible claims experience

Insurance claim madeYes

Gary AyreGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

20% Premium Increase

Insurance claim madeNo

Dom T.asked

Is there a branch where you can visit to talk to someone face to face?

Care TeamCGU

Hi Dom, we don't have any branches to visit however if you click this link http://bit.ly/2pbDydv and message us there with your claim details we can have someone contact you to help. ~ Jono

Trying hard

Trying hardasked

I have full comprehensive private use car insurance with CGU will this insurance cover me if I am doing deliveries for the chemist I work for?

Peter

Peterasked

I have just been told by CGU that if my car is a write-off (after an accident that was not my fault), the remainder of my premiums for the year (11 months remaining) would be deducted from the "market value". Is this common business practice?

Nica
Nica

Hi Peter,
thank you for your question. Unfortunately it is common practice, not just with CGU, even if there is only one month remaining, as it was in my case.
They even deduct the remainder of the registration and you have to chase it back from the Department of Transport. Cheers Nica

AJB
AJB

It's correct that is is common practice. Whether you pay in one lump sum or monthly instalments, it's still a 12-month contract and states this clearly in your PDS. If you want to pay only 1/12th of what you agreed to pay them, then you should be happy to accept only 1/12th of the market value.

Get an answer from our members and CGU representatives